Obama speech bounce: nil

posted at 11:15 am on August 30, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Rasmussen’s daily tracking poll today shows the same four-point lead Barack Obama held yesterday over John McCain.  This poll, the first to show reaction from Obama’s speech, indicates that Obama didn’t get any more bounce out of his Invesco Field appearance than he received from the Democratic convention as a whole:

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Saturday is the first to include reaction to both Barack Obama’s acceptance speech and John McCain’s selection of Sarah Palin to be his running mate. The numbers are little changed since yesterday and show Barack Obama attracting 47% of the vote nationwide while John McCain earns 43%. When “leaners” are included, it’s Obama 49% and McCain 45%.

In other words, except for the fundraising activities associated with it, the Obama speech was essentially a bust.  Obama had stumbled into the convention trailing McCain among likely voters and losing momentum all summer long.  His team badly fumbled the announcement of Joe Biden as his running mate, and he needed a significant bounce coming out of Denver to put space between him and McCain.  Instead, so far Obama has not yet escaped the margin of error — and McCain has his own convention coming this week to steal oxygen from his campaign.

I warned yesterday that the speech was nothing more than the stump speech he gives to the faithful and would find little resonance outside of his own supporters.  The Rasmussen poll bears this out.

Sarah Palin has already received a better reception than Joe Biden from voters.  Biden initially only received a 39% favorability rating when announced a week ago, and still hasn’t climbed above 50%.  In contrast, Palin has a 53% favorability on Day One:

Sarah Palin made a good first impression. She was unknown nationally before being introduced as the GOP Vice-Presidential pick but is now viewed favorably by 53% of voters nationwide. Her counterpart, Joe Biden, is viewed favorably by 48%. While Palin has made a good first impression, the more significant numbers will come a week from now after the nation has a chance to learn more about her.

In the coming days, we’ll see more of Palin’s impact.  Given the media deluge on Palin yesterday and the way Obama’s speech disappeared from the commentariat in the wake of her selection, Obama has probably seen all the mileage he will from it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

As I posted yesterday:
Obama’s Speech: “OB AM A! OB AM A! OB AM A!”
Palin’s Speech: “U S A! U S A! U S A!”

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Talked to my liberal brother and more liberal girlfriend in Texas last night.
Had a very few moments to sum up my favorable impressions on the McCain/Palin ticket.
I used your observation in my brief window of conversation.
Thank you for your post. A telling fact.

NaCly dog on August 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM

This poll, the first to show reaction from Obama’s speech…

Is it just me that thinks this if flawed logic? It states it’s the first to include O’s speech and Mrs. Palin. I’d like to think he didn’t get a bounce from his speech, but the polls showed an even race on the 28th (day of speech) then a +4 for Obama on the 29th. The only significance of this Ras Report is that the ‘Cuda IPO didn’t close the gap between Maverick and O. I hope someone corrects me on this.

HarryCallahan on August 30, 2008 at 4:01 PM

I wouldn’t expect an immediate bounce for McCain/Palin. Palin is not a well-known person, to her advantage, people will get to know her over the next two months.

The average Joe is tired of looking at Obama and Bidens sour puss.

It will be a welcome change to learn about Ms. Palin’s …err.. accomplishments.

cntrlfrk on August 30, 2008 at 4:23 PM

As I posted yesterday:
Obama’s Speech: “OB AM A! OB AM A! OB AM A!”
Palin’s Speech: “U S A! U S A! U S A!”

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Talked to my liberal brother and more liberal girlfriend in Texas last night.
I used your observation in my brief window of conversation.
Thank you for your post. A telling fact.

NaCly dog on August 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM

I am in Texas as well. Glad you were able to use that and thank you.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Tuari
I really liked your comment from this morning: I felt it briefly summed up a number of lines of argument if not the election as a whole. So I reproduced the post complete on my blog. I gave proper credit to you and HA. Sorry the blog has only six or seven readers a year.

snaggletoothie on August 30, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Palin’s biggest impact (even more than taking Hillary votes) will keep Republicans from staying home.

- The Cat

MirCat on August 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM

MirCat on August 30, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Yep. I was planning to vote reluctanctly “against” Obama, but now I can vote enthusiastically “for” McCain/Palin. Still concerned about McCain’s RINO/Maverick tendencies, but I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the campaign from Biden’s pick through Palin’s. When it became obvious Obama wouldn’t pick Hillary, I wondered “what’s he doing?” I was worried McCain would double down and go Lieberman. When the Palin pick came out, I was ecstatic.

She’s not “the One,” a la Obamessiah. But, she is a red-blooded conservative from all I’ve seen. Lives the pro-life message, knows energy policy from the inside out, “mavericky” enough to quit a board and bring ethics complaints on members of her own party, cuts taxes, and is an outdoorswoman/hunter/fisher.

That, my friends, is a winning VP selection.

cs89 on August 31, 2008 at 4:07 AM