Heather MacDonald: Thanks for destroying the GOP with identity politics, McCain

posted at 2:47 pm on August 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

This is not the Republican Party she thought she knew.

Of course, Democrats have been playing the identity-politics game to the hilt this election cycle; it’s what they do. And it will be amusing to watch them twist themselves into knots to avoid criticizing the Palin pick for what it is: a diversity ploy…

I thought that conservatives scoffed at the idea that American society systematically blocks accomplished women from advancement. But within less than an hour of the vice-presidential announcement yesterday morning, the diversity epidemic had spread rapidly in the Republican political machinery, including among analysts for whom I have only the highest respect. Talk-show host Laura Ingraham enthused about Palin’s identity profile: “A lot of women are calling in excited,” Ingraham said. “The women of America will see that she might be the first woman vice president.”…

Race and gender are almost never a valid job qualification. Yet they have taken over in field after field—whether in the hiring of lawyers and selection of judges, in the choice of books and art to which students will be exposed from the moment that they step into a classroom, in the composition of police and fire departments, or in the selection of corporate boards. This tendency must be fought, not capitulated to.

True, Palin brings traditional political strengths—such as gun enthusiasm and a pro-life record—to the ticket. Her fight against self-dealing in Alaskan politics counters the inside-the-Beltway corruption that damaged the Republicans in the 2006 elections. And her stance on drilling for Alaskan oil admirably bolsters the Republican Party platform on energy issues. But admit it, fellow conservatives: none of these attributes pushed her over the top. Your enthusiasm for her is driven in large measure by the fact that the McCain camp has beaten the Democrats at their own game, and in so doing, driven Obama’s moment of glory off the wires.

A righteous point and one that shouldn’t be lost in the shuffle of Palinmania or the glee of watching liberals walk into rhetorical doorknobs about the dangers of on-the-job training in the White House during wartime. Just as the left is suddenly finding itself “insulted” that McCain would make the sort of tribalist play that they’ve been perfecting for decades, the right has breezed past the fact that, as MacDonald says, Gov. “Stanley” Palin wouldn’t have stood a chance for the nomination. (And no, needless to say, neither would a first-term senator from the midwest who lacked The One’s narrative, but we’re talking about conservatives here.) It’s hard to argue, in other words, that her gender wasn’t a necessary condition for the appointment — but it’s easy to argue that it wasn’t a sufficient condition, which to me is the more salient point. I want someone to look me in the eye and tell me that Meg Whitman or Carly Fiorina or Kay Bailey Hutchison, or even Bobby Jindal for that matter, could have delivered like this:

I’ve been covering the GOP presidential race since November of 2006. In those many months — across many states — I have never seen a crowd with the energy that I witnessed yesterday at the Erwin Nutter Center in Dayton, Ohio…

[E]ven after the choice was proclaimed, the crowd seemed to become more jacked. And when Sarah Palin delivered, they seemed to instantly fall in love…

And outside the arena, far from Dayton, the response I’ve gotten from Republican activists coast-to-coast has been one of almost joy. My email in-box is bursting with enthusiasm from loyal GOPers who’ve been either glum, skeptical or downright unhappy for the past two years.

Nothing new there. Check out the quotes from her opponents in the Alaska gubernatorial race near the top of today’s NYT profile, half-sneering and half-marveling at how helpless they were to challenge her likeability with policy. Money quote: “You know, that’s kind of like Obama.” McCain, a guy known for topping out in his monthly fundraising in the high twenties, pulled $4.5 million yesterday in about 14 hours after the pick was announced. Just five days ago, when she wasn’t on anyone’s radar screen, I noted again how “continually amazed” I was at how much support there was for her among our readers. Go back to this VP straw poll three months ago, when she blew out blogosphere fave Mitt Romney, for even earlier evidence.

Bottom line: The more they learn about her, the more conservatives love this woman. She’s deep red on energy and social policy, she’s not a party toady, she has a common touch that precious few Republican pols have, and yeah, she’s not a “boring white guy.” Nothing wrong with boring white guys — I’m one myself — but I can’t begrudge the vast, vast majority of conservatives who aren’t racist or sexist but are forever being told that they are by our leftist superiors a little joy at having a chance to disprove it by electing a woman they’re excited about. Which brings me back to an irony I mentioned yesterday: I think Palin will end up appealing much less to Hillary’s outspoken women supporters, with whom she’s at odds on virtually every issue, than to the GOP base and to Hillary’s working-class supporters generally, who’ll find it easier to identify with a “hockey mom” with socially conservative impulses. Maverick may be trying to play identity politics, but I’m skeptical it’ll work out that way in practice.

FYI, the front-page photo comes from Meghan McCain’s candids of yesterday’s rally. Exit question: Why does MacDonald think “there’s no going back” from this identity politics gambit?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

In America We vote for the Top of the Ticket not the bottom.

Chakra Hammer on August 30, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Being self-righteous is a right, RC?

I thought it was a side effect of religion.

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Alpha Victim, do you even understand what you post???? Cause I ain’t getting another one of you lame posts.

Branch Rickey on August 30, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Who is Heather MacDonald and why do I care what she thinks?

HawaiiLwyr on August 30, 2008 at 2:54 PM

she have a farm and goes e i e i o

Mojack420 on August 30, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Who do you trust McCain or Obama?

Chakra Hammer on August 30, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Indeed. If we are to win this, then cooler heads must prevail.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM

this is not a 64 day fight to reclaim the title of “the party of the people” from the media-deluded masses…it is a 64 month fight at least…..

we MUST take back the small towns, mid cities, and counties.

Then and only then can we try finally, to flip and rebuild one of the shattered democrat urban areas and prove the democrats are the race hsutlers they have shown themselves to be.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Obama is a rubber stamp for Democrat controlled Congress, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi.

Chakra Hammer on August 30, 2008 at 3:29 PM

I think she’s a great choice. Personable, Conservative, not a lawyer or congress-critter and with far less negative baggage than Hucklebuck/Mitt/Pawlenty or the myriad otherVP-maybes.

GeneSmith on August 30, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Of the four candidates running for president or VP her views align most closely with mine. If she and McCain would make a deal where he handles foreign policy and she handles domestic it would be about as close to a perfect administration as I could hope for.

Now, Palin and McCain need to start running against congress. They are both reformers who have stood up to the graft in their own party as well as the opposition so they have standing on this issue and it is one that resonates with the American people given congressional approval ratings. If the dims try to tie McCain to Bush then there is no reason we can’t tie Obama to Pelosi etc…

They should hand pick a few congressmen and senators that they would like to see elected and try to get everyone to sign onto a reform package so that they can come into office with enough votes to actually change something. The obstructionism on energy policy and earmark reform would be a good place to start.

Obama has been toast from the day we found out his propensity to buddy up with terrorists, Marxist sympathizers and race baiting preachers. His skin color is the only thing he has going for himself and America has not fallen so far that such a thing would be enough to get someone of such odious values and associations elected as president.

Ben Franklen on August 30, 2008 at 3:30 PM

This is anecdotal as hell, but I actually used to know Heather Mac (to keep it not too personal, let’s just say my work required contact with her)– she’s is a NUTCASE. Brilliant lady, but a nut to deal with on a personal level. Her reaction strikes me as being because she’s the anti-Palin: no husband, no kids, no working with her hands… just a total East Coast intellectual, but right of center. Don’t take too much stock in what she thinks.

Pasalubong on August 30, 2008 at 3:30 PM

@ spirit of 1776

You completely misunderstood my post. But thats okay you don’t have to make any sense to disagree.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2008 at 2:55 PM

You’re right, it’s not a right to be granted. But in that same vein of honesty, self-righteousness is a tool. It’s a personal motivator. We are all guilty of it and all suck some down when we need to.

My point is that the shit hits us harder. I never said to stop. I never said don’t do what it takes to win.

Win at all costs. Recognize those costs.

@Spirit of 1776
Pardon my previously cordial reply. **** you.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Who do you trust McCain or Obama?

Chakra Hammer on August 30, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Neither!

They’re both politicians. I just happen to hate Obama more.

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM

This is just silly and reactionary. The only way you could accuse McCain of playing identity politics, exclusively, is if he chose a liberal female Republican, like Olympia Snowe. If he had chose a white male, like Lieberman, would that be more or less disastrous? If he picked Pawlenty, it would have been “another white male, just like the Republicans always want.” If he had chose anyone outside of the stereotypical white male heterosexual mold, someone would cry “identity politics.” Screw ‘em.

Are we not allowed to ever, ever pick someone outside of the phony stereotype the Left has set for us? With McDonald’s logic, the answer is no and we are forever playing the game according to the enemy’s rules. Screw you, Lefties. McCain, and the rest of us who know identity politics exist whether we like it or not (just as you Leftards persistently remind us racism and sexism and every other -ism haven’t been eliminated), have simply decided to let it work for us if it is part of a coherent strategy. Palin is a smart pick, first, because she is anything but a RINO. She’s a genuine red state politician, and she is a DC outsider. Another plus this year. She is young, therefore a bridge to the GOP’s future. Oh yeah, she’s a woman. You got a problem with that, Heather?

If anyone is really afraid that this was a foolish pick, then explain why the Left is so hilariously apoplectic about this. If she were really a liability, they would merely be at standard levels of fruitcake derangement. Does anyone really think that the Left would be more scared of, say, Ridge or Pawlenty? Romney? The guy they can paint as a plutocrat who is like the guy who fired you?

That’s what I thought. Relax, everyone, and enjoy the sound of tearing hair coming in your left ear.

George Orwell on August 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM

McCain’s brilliant anti-Baracky ads just on the interlinks… – Bishop on August 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Interlinks? Bishop, are you British by any chance?

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

And no, needless to say, neither would a first-term senator from the midwest who lacked The One’s narrative pigmentation, but we’re talking about conservatives here.

FTFY :P

No one grants us that right anyway. All we ever get for condemning identity politics is “racist!” and “sexist!” anyway. Now suddenly McCain’s beating them at their own game and I’m supposed to weep?

Allahpundit on August 30, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Amen. It’s simply delicious. I LOVE it.

OneGyT on August 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Resident troll…do I get a green card or a black one?

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

ALSO…a lot of you disagree with exactly what Allah said when I say it. You’re not curious. You’re obvious.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Michael, I for one like your (sometimes verbose) comments – so don’t stay away for too long. But this is certainly not a new thing around here. Atheists/believers. Evo/ID. Huck/Romney. McCain/McShamnesty. Rudy/Dobson. I could go on. There are lots of issues that polarize certain subsets of conservatism, and the comments in this thread have been tame by comparison.

innominatus on August 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Agreed. But we must be cool-headed. And above all, we must hang together – or most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM

One in three jobs in Alaska are paid for by Federal welfare, Ben.

If there’s a Marxist in this race, it’s Britney Palin.

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Nothing wrong with boring white guys — I’m one myself

You’re white, but you are NOT boring!!!

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM

There are ways, and then there are ways…

Entelechy on August 30, 2008 at 3:35 PM

The bottom line in here is this:

A lot of “Conservatives” don’t think real Conservatives can win elections, because the public is either hostile to Conservatism, or just too damn stupid.

So I say- if we can’t convince ‘em; then fool ‘em.

Seems to work for the Dems.

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Resident troll…do I get a green card or a black one? – The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Neither…just a sh!tload of verbal abuse if and when you post any palpable idiocy. Just ask Alphie.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:35 PM

One in three jobs in Alaska are paid for by Federal welfare, Ben.

If there’s a Marxist in this race, it’s Britney Palin.

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Great Alice!

Then Palin can count on your vote- right?

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM

It’s one or two people making a snark, take a break if you need to but quit pretending that every remark you don’t like means the downfall of the conservative movement.

Bishop on August 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM

I have been a reader of HotAir and the comments since its inception and have been a commenter for that long as well, save for a few months off for personal reasons. This is as bad the commentary in the comments section has been as I have ever seen it. There used to be good discussion of disagreements on policies and issues and people could agree to disagree without throwing people out and telling them to STFU based on a disagreement on one issue. Maybe you haven’t been reading here for as long as I have, but I have noticed a drastic difference in attitude, anger, immaturity, intolerance and tone in the comments lately, not just one or two comments or one or two commenters.

“… quit pretending that every remark you don’t like means the downfall of the conservative movement.”

Maybe when I see people quit pretending that every analysis of McCain or Palin they don’t like means that that person is an idiot hack who should STFU and go away.

And no, I am not a Republican anymore. I am a conservative. I am grateful to have Thaddeus McCotter as my Rep and have been working to get him reelected. But I am down on the Republican party as a whole and don’t like McCain whatsoever. I do like Palin. But she doesn’t erase the bad things about McCain (and yes, yes, they are both better than Obama).

Will I end up voting for McCain? Probably. Will I end up campaigning for him? No. Will I point out to friends, coworkers and family members how he is better than Obama? Yes. Will I tell them to STFU and go to hell if they tell me they are going to vote for Obama or someone else or just sit out the election? No.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM

You know what- screw it!

If Palin is Conservative and she advances the Conservative agenda even slightly- great.

If playing identity politics by picking a woman works, then do it.

I’m sick and damn tired of the Liberals playing by no rules and using whatever stunt they have to, to “fool ‘em again”!

The Republicans always have to sit back and play traditional as the f#cking Dems demagogue, stereotype, play class warfare and run their big mouths off all over the media with their snarky little jabs at Conservatives.

The time is well past to start fighting fire with fire.
Whatever it takes to advance Conservatism- do it.

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 3:05 PM

I sort of agree with you, however, I used to be a Dem, and one of the things that will keep me a Republican is the fact that Pubs don’t behave the way dhimms do. Nothing wrong with fighting with spirit, but keep it honest. The lies always come back to bite you in the arse. And don’t forget, the dems have the majority of MSM on their side. We must always take the high road and show we’re better than the dishonest, ideology driven lib children.

4shoes on August 30, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Besides, as Governor of Alaska, she has more executive experience than anyone else on the ticket.
…..
Lily on August 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Sarah Palin has more executive experience as point guard on her championship basketball team that Obama and Biden COMBINED.

(A point guard calls the plays and runs the team offense, for those non-athletic types here.)

fred5678 on August 30, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Though, if you self-hating socialists want her to pretend you’re all bold capitalists…I’m sure she will. – alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Speaking of the dopey fruit bat.

Race Card, allow me to introduce you to HotAir’s own village idiot: Alphie, a gorgeously glittering jewel of colossal stupidity. Enjoy.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Resident troll…do I get a green card or a black one?

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Spirit of 1776 was not addressing you. Spirit was taking after a comment that addressed you. You owe an apology.

RushBaby on August 30, 2008 at 3:38 PM

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Abuse, where? Don’t tease me so early in the day.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:38 PM

One in three jobs in Alaska are paid for by Federal welfare, Ben.

If there’s a Marxist in this race, it’s Britney Palin.

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Alaska has the highest output of strategic resources to population in the union. Even granting your specious rant every dime “given” is a good investment. Keep firing Ralphie you are unifying the base.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 3:38 PM

RushBaby on August 30, 2008 at 3:38 PM

I owe many.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Abuse, where? Don’t tease me so early in the day. – The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:38 PM

I never tease, dummy. Check the previous posts.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:38 PM

//self-smack

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:39 PM

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:38 PM

I’m checkin the rash…havin second thoughts.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:40 PM

I like her.

I’m glad he picked her.

End of story.

CanadianGuy on August 30, 2008 at 3:40 PM

4shoes on August 30, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Yeah- I used to be that way too.

But if people like Michael in MI are right; the public is nothing but a pack of morons- then why throw pearls before swine? Why be honest and reasonable with fools?

Screw em. Let’s fool ‘em. Let’s use ‘em.

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Oh yeah, for the record, in case it was missed in my earlier comment on the subject, I disagree with the analysis somewhat that Sarah Palin is not qualified for the job. I think she certainly is, the more I read about her and the more I see her present herself to the public and defend her stances on issues. However, I also agree with the sentiment that McCain is playing identity politics. I don’t agree with Heather MacDonald’s criticism of that, that it is wrong and we can’t come back from it. Especially because this isn’t left-wing identity politics in which they vote solely based on identity and no substance. Sarah Palin has the identity and has a LOT of substance to her. I think once the electorate learns about her, the ‘identity politics’ meme will fade away. However, that is only if the left and mass media don’t succeed in spreading that meme first and getting it to stick with the electorate, as they have with so many other lies and half-truths.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Interlinks? Bishop, are you British by any chance?
ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Nope, All-American, I picked that term up from a local radio morning show years back. Is “interlinks” what the British call it?

Bishop on August 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Notice how over time every time anyone has tried to criticize Obama, the media, or his camp cried “racism”, and how the “inexperience” mantra doasn’t provide “misogyny” from the McCain/Palin camp.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the difference.

I owe many.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:38 PM

And you know how to provide them, elegantly and galantly. So, do it. The Spirit of 1776 is one of the most polite people around HA. I’ll always love you, for your wit, your gumption, your intellect, and yes, for the psychology which only you and I share.

Entelechy on August 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

I’ve said it before: I think the VP spot is the one exception to the no-identity-politics rule. Most of the time, you pick the runner up in the primaries, but it isn’t unusual to pick someone who represents a constituency that the top of the ticket has trouble appealing to.

Kafir on August 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

4shoes on August 30, 2008 at 3:37 PM

at what cost….?

Metaphorically speaking the Democratic party regained legislative control by being a child pretending to behave(running the blue dogs ‘conservo-donks)and then playing the part of the child who sits and remains in their own waste as a temper tantrum.

THEY are the conmen not us.

For 8 years it has been one childish rant and one childish lie after another.

I support Palin and wanted her all along, but if in our nominating Palin for Veep we have somehow crossed some Rubicon towards “being at their level” so be it.

The American people will rely on themselves over government all things being equal. Even if I agreed the cost of this was to delve into “the witch’s brew of evil identity politics” I’d do it happily as my 8 year old deserves a nation more like the one I was born into instead of the one the neo-marxists like Maxine Waters and Barack Obama wish to morph it into.

regards,
sven

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

@ spirit of 1776

I didn’t even know what post you are talking about, and I certainly wasn’t responding to it.

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Sorry, TRC, I was writing while you were self-smacking :)

Entelechy on August 30, 2008 at 3:43 PM

I don’t have access, but word on the street is that they’re dismal.

Big S on August 30, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Wow, just could work for the drive-bys with that kind of “evidence.”

Branch Rickey on August 30, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Of course the Republican “base” will rally around someone committed to keeping their government checks for doing nothing flowing, sven.

Reagan warned us about your kind…

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:43 PM

at what cost….?

THEY are the conmen not us.

For 8 years it has been one childish rant and one childish lie after another.

regards,
sven

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Amen!

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Reagan warned us about your kind…

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Yeah I remember Reagan being parsimonious and cutting military pay and spending since it was “welfare waste” there Ralphie….

MOBY

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Was Condi only selected because she was a black female?

jp on August 30, 2008 at 3:09 PM

That’s what Ms McDonald seems to be hinting at here:

Washington Republicans have hardly kept themselves free of race- and gender-based decision making: one can think of many cabinet members and judicial nominations made on these grounds.

macblanegirl on August 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM

the right has breezed past the fact that, as MacDonald says, Gov. “Stanley” Palin wouldn’t have stood a chance for the nomination. –Allahpundit

Nonsense… if it hadn’t been Palin, it could just as easily been “Stanley” Jindal from Louisiana, and for all we know it very well may have been if not for the hurricane bearing down on the state and bringing with it all of the political baggage.

Certainly, gender was a factor in the pick, but it wasn’t the only factor… the fact is, Republicans want Reagan, and the last 8-12 years they’ve been treated to Trent Lott and his ilk. They have been completely demoralized, and the only way to get them fired up is to present to them the future of the party that they want to see.

Palin or Jindal were the only picks that would fire up the party, give the base a sense of direction for the party, and avoid the “boring white guy” issue.

DaveS on August 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Yeah- I used to be that way too.

Screw em. Let’s fool ‘em. Let’s use ‘em.

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 3:41 PM

It’s short sighted, it will come back to haunt you. It may take some time but it will backfire on the dems.

4shoes on August 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM

I never tease, dummy. Check the previous posts.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Entelechy on August 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM

I owe many.
//self-smack

Too small to apologize, eh? I can read sarcasm and I’m calling you out. Here’s the exchange:

Being self-righteous is a right, RC?
I thought it was a side effect of religion.
alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Here’s proof our resident troll isn’t getting enough attention. Now adding religious bomb-throwing to political bomb-throwing. Sad, empty life.
Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2008 at 3:03 PM

See? Spirit called the troll a troll, not you, TRC.

RushBaby on August 30, 2008 at 3:48 PM

ok, Ms MacDonald

macblanegirl on August 30, 2008 at 3:48 PM

All people or some people? Do you really expect erudite analysis and commentary from every person on a blog which has as many commenters as HA does?

Bishop on August 30, 2008 at 3:48 PM

I get McDonald’s point but she’s madly overselling it here. There were legitimate reasons for McCain to like Palin other than the whole gender thing. Her interest in restoring the Republican brand in AK, for one — I smile whenever I think about her knocking Murkowski off his pedestal, the big dumb jerk.

The biography stuff was good for the first 24h. The base likes her. My wife actually thinks they pushed it too hard yesterday.

Now I personally want to see a hard pivot to a Government Reform/Reclaiming Republican Principles message, and soon.

DrSteve on August 30, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Reagan said when 51% of Americans were receiving checks from the federal government, there would be no stopping the welfare state.

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Is “interlinks” what the British call it? – Bishop on August 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

That’s what I was hoping you would tell me.I first heard the term in the motion picture V for Vendetta.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:51 PM

4shoes on August 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM

The democrats have been running this playbook since the ’60s…they have lost anything but partial control of the Senate precisely once in that time.

The entire time they lacked power they fumed and told the most stupidly obvious and blatant lies I can imagine.

These lies were seedcorn in the minds of the electorate. Look at the # of morons that think we createed aids as a bio-weapon but have not managed to use it to achieve our “wild racist goals”.

No if what it takes is out-glitzing the donks while maintaining ideological and personal integrity so be it.

I’m in it to win it not get a pat on the head from the saint at the gate and a “well done keeping moral purity in secular politics”.

regards,
sven

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 3:51 PM

She’s a conservative and a reformer. If she was pro-choice or some kind of moderate, I might believe she was selected for her gender alone.

If she was a man, conservatives would be as excited. Just because it’s impossible to ignore the historical implications of this pick doesn’t make Sarah some kind of token.

Asher on August 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Entelechy on August 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

I prod myself when I moo too loudly.

RE: spiritof1776
You know your bent makes a dent in my brain. But I really just rub some people wrong. My written words lack the humility, even-tone and smile that physical presence provides. It takes a perceptive person to understand my mangled chord structures. Even a perceptive person may choose to ignore my subtle cues.

Though essential, some elements can be volatile when mixed.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Ok Ralphie you run with that meme in wartime.

Military Spending=”welfare”

Midnight Basketball=”Community outreach and coordinating”….

got ya….

please send that suggestion to http://www.barryobama.com

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 3:53 PM

I think she’s wrong. Dead wrong. It’s absolutely valid to try to get people enthused about politics and feel involved. Women have been in the top leadership post all over the world, but not in this country. Not even close. And if Hillary had won, it would have been on the back of her husband, not on her own initiative.

Watch the videos. Read about her. This is a very impressive woman, in control, with ease of leadership and a command of the facts and a down-to-earch, rational and easy to understand approach to problems and how to articulate them.

Over at dwblog we see great things in this woman. Frankly, we’ve been talking about the very real possibility that Sarah Palin may be the first woman president of the US. She has every single prerequisite but long-term executive experience, but so what? Great leaders emerge from humble beginnings. The very fact that she has risen to far, so fast, is either going to prove her greatness or prove the Peter Principle.

We remain very happy with this pick, and it’s absolutely valid to include women in leadership positions. She _has_ earned it, the right way, not by being related to a famous or successful politician (Clinton, Libby Dole, Lisa Murkowski) but by hard work and the easy authority Palin projects. She’ll do great on the stump and vs. Biden. This is no Dan Quayle. Remember, you read it here first. This is a very great lady, a great politician and leader, period. Read more about her and her accomplishments. What matters not is experience, but ACCOMPISHMENTS. Biden’s been in the Senate for decades, what the hell has he ever actually done. I’d put Palin up against him any day in actually getting things done. And bucking the corrupt establishment as well.

I’ll enjoy seeing her preside over the Senate. Can the VP actually crack some heads over there? Now that would be cool.

docweasel on August 30, 2008 at 3:53 PM

THEY are the conmen not us.

For 8 years it has been one childish rant and one childish lie after another.

regards,
sven

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM

I agree with you, however I do not believe we’ve jumped into the identity politics as MacDonald claims. I believe McCain has picked a fresh face who’s qualified who also just happens to be a woman. So I do not think we’ve stooped to identity politics at all. Time will prove Sarah Palin is a million times more qualified than Obama is.

4shoes on August 30, 2008 at 3:54 PM

What so frightens the left is that she is a woman who talks the talk AND walks the walk on being pro-life. THAT’S the identity they fear. For this identity she’ll be considered as dangerous as Clarence Thomas was to the “old boy” race baiting business “identity”. Besides, this is hardly the first time the GOP is being accused of identity politics. Didn’t it also happen when Rice was named national security adviser… when Powell was named Sec of State?

rhombus on August 30, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Reagan warned us about your kind… – alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Actually, Reagan warned us about YOUR kind. And he even specified the genus and species: Dopus flyingmousicus-fruiterii.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Loved your post up there, rockmom. It’s sad to me to see people falling into the notion that because she’s a woman, she must have been picked exclusively for that reason regardless of the ability she’s demonstrated to lead.

I didn’t know very much about her yesterday morning, so I was kind of disappointed to hear McCain had gone this way – but I listened, learned about her life, and gave her a chance. This was a shrewd political move on McCain’s part, yes, but I also see someone I can really identify with, who can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the men in this party (and I am NO man-hater – quite the opposite), who seems to me to have the temperament and intellect to handle whatever is put in front of her.

She is already being treated despicably by Democrats, and by the press (conveniently leaving out the “why” in the investigation regarding her jerk ex-brother-in-law) – I would expect better from ALL Republicans, because this woman is obviously far more than an empty pair of peep-toes. The more I know about her, the more convinced I am that this was a great pick.

I am proud to be a Republican woman. I always have been, but this makes me even more proud.

capitalist piglet on August 30, 2008 at 3:55 PM

@Spirit of 1776
Pardon my previously cordial reply. **** you.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Jerk.

Resident troll…do I get a green card or a black one?

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Victim.

Though essential, some elements can be volatile when mixed.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Yep, real subtle.

RushBaby on August 30, 2008 at 3:56 PM

freevillage, keep that up. I adore the masterstroke of the Palin pick for having put “experience” front and center.

I zoomed in on that yesterday, before the media began to harp on topic. It’s the most volatile topic from the leftie side. The righties shouldn’t hide it, just keep it alive. It will hurt the Obama inexperience more than anyone.

Entelechy on August 30, 2008 at 3:56 PM

I think the $700,000,000,000+ “defense” budget may have put us over the top, sven. – alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM

It’s what helped destroy the Soviet Union, you potted plant.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:56 PM

I can’t think of a better pick for (R)(VP) than Sarah Palin. If some jealous female (Heather Mac Donald, whoever she is) is upset, why, that’s nothing to me.

If Sarah can bridge the gap and connect with me (a small ‘r’ Republican but a big ‘C’onservative who was considering sitting this one out, or voting for Barr or Minnie Mouse) then think of how many more centered sorts of voters are suddenly in play. Because, as we all know, we on the far right or left never decide these elections.

So, for Republicans, a new opportunity to compete, and the (R)eset button.

Finally, John McCain did something (R)ight.

Can I say HOPE??

Serr8d on August 30, 2008 at 3:57 PM

You got your point. However, The Race Card, while many epithets describe him, is no “dummy”. That you can take to the bank, assuredly. – Entelechy on August 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM

We’ll see.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:58 PM

I used to Liberal because I didn’t really follow politics very closely, and I believed most of what I read and heard in the media.

Then with the advent of FoxNews I began to pay attention- and I started to drift towards the Right. And then in 2000 I watched the bratty little stunt the DNC played with their endless recounts and finally their perpetual mantra of “selected not elected”- and I couldn’t believe they pulled that.

And THEN came 9/11- and I watched the amazing “unity” (and I fell for it) for all of 2-3 weeks?
And then I watched the “unity” leading up to the Iraq War (and I cautiously believed it)- only to see the slime-ball Dems do a 180 and quickly start shouting “we were lied into war!”

And all the while- through ALL of this- the Republicans kept discounting the Lefts actions as – disingenuous, dishonest, over the top, immature, and just plain silly nonsense the no one will really believe.

And NOW look where we are!

Screw playing nice! This is war. If we want to get this country back to the things that made it great- then we had damn well fight for it.

And guess what- the sleazeballs that we have to fight, are those card-burning dope-smoking war-protesting burnt-out hippies from yesteryear, who are now in their 60′s wearing suits and ties, and heading up the DNC.

Do you think their mindset and tactics have changed? Hell no!

They’ve just discovered new and patient ways to execute them.

We had all better wake up- and fast.

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM

We’ll see.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:58 PM

That has been long since a past tense.

Entelechy on August 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Great, another thread hijacked by attention seeking half-wits and everyone who feels the need to argue with 11 year olds.

reaganaut on August 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM

@Spirit of 1776
Pardon my previously cordial reply. **** you.
The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Subtle as a battleship ripping loose a full broadside.

Bishop on August 30, 2008 at 4:01 PM

We had all better wake up- and fast. – FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Welcome to the fight, FiveWays. This time I know our side will win.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 4:01 PM

RushBaby on August 30, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Come again.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 4:02 PM

4shoes on August 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM

When? After they occupy the White House and Congress for 20 years?

How much irreversable damage will that cause?

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 4:03 PM

And that is part of the double satisfaction of this pick. We’re tied of being accused of racism and sexism, and Palin turns that all on its head.

The other part is her true bona fide conservative principles.

I still can’t stop smiling.

Hawkins1701 on August 30, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Hear this MacDonald:

I would NEVER have voted for McCain. Chuck Baldwin would have gotten my vote. I’ll now gladly cast it for Palin/McCain. Guess who else didn’t have a lot of “experience” leading in big government – most of the Founding Fathers.

This experience junk is WaaaaaaY overblown. Give me an honest conservative person who is ready to take on energy problems, political corruption, gun rights, and will work tirelessly to end the holocaust that is abortion, and I’ll gladly vote for him, or HER!

Identity politics, I’m all for them. A conservative identity is a winner.

y2church on August 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Gee I think putting a white northeast elitist/country clubber, blue-blood, effeminate male on the ballot would have shown America just who we are. Give me a break. The future of the Republican Party is so much brighter now as a result of this selection. Kudoos to McCain.

Fuquay Steve on August 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM

I don’t get some of you ladies and your criticism of Palin. The women over at our blog are ecstatic about Palin, they feel involved, cared about, listened to. What’s wrong with identifying with your own sex? I think Palin absolutely has great things to add to the ticket and to the governing of this country, and her reform work completely dovetails with McCain’s promise to shake up the establishment. This is what we’ve all wanted, right? An end to politics as usual? Palin is ALL about that. That’s her biggest draw. She breaks down established, dug in pols with connexions and money and exposed them, beats them fair and square and then undoes their dirty deeds. Read the stuff she over-ruled that Murkowski had tried to shovel in at the eleventh hour, including the appointment of a crony to a high post that Palin over-ruled, turns out the guy was indicted for corruption later. There’s much, much more. This lady is the real deal, exactly what we’ve been hoping for, as is claimed for Obama, but without any substance: Palin really IS the libertarian, entrenched government smashing, truth-to-power speaking classically progressive (not nutroots progressive) reform candidate.

It makes me wonder how anyone can not examine this woman and her accomplishments closely and not see the very sublime and astute wisdom that brought McCain to choose her. I think more of him that he can see the greatness in her. You think I exaggerate, but let’s wait and see. So far I’m more than impressed with her, and women AND men should be excited by the prospect. There’s not a thing in the world wrong with cheering when women break into the leadership of the country. It’s high time. Good for McCain, and raspberry to Heather.

docweasel on August 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM

The only comparison between her and Chicago crook Obambi – and I believe it is a fair one – is projection. She is what we have decided that she is, and that’s hard to beat.

As for the notion that she shouldn’t be there because she isn’t a Senator (Senators never win; guess that’ll change this year), and didn’t go to Harvard (Obama did, and he’s a liar and a dick, so there you go), who else was he going to pick? The rest were poseurs, RINOs, or detested by a large segment of our coalition. None would have helped in any apparent way, and here we are, 24 hours later, and the only name on anyone’s lips is Sarah Palin,

Genius.

Heather MacDonald makes her first miss in recent memory. Clean miss.

Jaibones on August 30, 2008 at 4:05 PM

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Sarah Palin is more qualified for the office of President of the United States than all three of the other candidates on both tickets put together.

And now I hear some (with all due respect) scatter-brained bimbo telling me the only reason I could possibly have for believing a woman is capable of that is because *I* am prejudiced?

logis on August 30, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Yeah, manly,

Russia’s in real bad shape these days, isn’t it?

We sure “destroyed” them.

Defense spending creates no lasting value…once the money’s spent, it’s gone.

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 4:06 PM

As I read comments from all over the internet, it’s obvious that MacDonald considered all sorts of factors accept one: votes. People adore this lady, and are donating money (to Republicans!) and gushing, and want to put signs in their yard.

As with Allah’s comments, the more I read it, the funnier it gets. Is she kidding? Is AP?

Jaibones on August 30, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Since tomorrow is Church Day, I think I will be giving thanks for so-called ‘identity politics’ and the fact that we are not sitting here talking about: “WTF was McCain thinking putting Liebermann on the ticket?”

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM

I was right there with you. I would have called myself a moderate to right leaning democrat at the time.

Sometimes (like when I watch a portion of an Obama speech) I wonder how the country has bought all of this left wing crap all these years. We could have been united now. We could have (and I believe still am) respected throughout most of the world. We have lived through 5-6 years at least of the most dishonest propaganda ever in politics.

…and it wasn’t coming from the Bush Administration.

cntrlfrk on August 30, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Fuquay Steve on August 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Exactly. The northeastern metrosexual Ivy League RINOs are putting moose in their hair; Sarah Palin is hunting them.

Jaibones on August 30, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Yeah, manly,

Russia’s in real bad shape these days, isn’t it?

We sure “destroyed” them.

Defense spending creates no lasting value…once the money’s spent, it’s gone.

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 4:06 PM

They are in a demographic whirlpool and that is why they are doing their Sudentenland impersonation.

Liberal enviro-wacko energy policy has allowed their coffers to refill. They are attempting to utilize this wealth to recapitalize back into an empire…..though this time without the Marxist window dressing. Donks have uconsistently undermined the credibility of the national unity we should be projecting on the world stage in order to snarkily claim “Citizenship of the World” status.

Yeah I won’t take ANY credit away from the success of the democratic party and the men and women at Foggy Bottom.

back to you Ralphie.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 4:10 PM

It is true that my pop is often boring and always white. Why praytell is the phrase “boring white guys” so irksome.

This thread alone kills the stereotype.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Yeah, manly,

Russia’s in real bad shape these days, isn’t it?

We sure “destroyed” them.

Defense spending creates no lasting value…once the money’s spent, it’s gone.

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Yeah- who’d a thunk the Ruskies could have recovered under the 8 years of Bubba?

Oh and- that Reagan missle defense system of no lasting value seems to have Vlad the terrible slightly nervous.

But hey- don’t let me wake you. You go back to whatever dried kitty turd your smokin’ – mkay.

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM

If McCain would have wanted a perfect identity politics pick for this election cycle, he’d have sought a Palin-charmer Latina, with little “experience”. There’s no denying, though, that her being a female had something to do with the selection.

The Palin pick has caused a lot of pain where it matters, and a lot of joy where it does too. Plus, it’s the center of all conversations for a long weekend.

It rocked the world. Nothing is what it was on Thursday night.

If Palin has little exprience for a VP, the prominent funerals will sure be enhanced if she deigns them with her presence. I loved that black suit.

Entelechy on August 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Why was there an absense of angst by the media when Virginia Governor Kaine was floated as Obama’s running mate?

mouell on August 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Serr8d on August 30, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Thank you your post is exactly how I feel about Sarah Palin. Her story , how she got to where she is, is why I am happy. There are other that are qualfied but she gives us hope for the future as consertatives while Barack gave me nothing but fear for his socalist agenda.

Gracelynn on August 30, 2008 at 4:13 PM

I would NEVER have voted for McCain.

You and a lot of conservatives. Palin killed the chances for Bob Barr to make any kind of a showing.

I wonder how many voters are now excited about the ticket as opposed to accepting. She has captured a lot of the same glow cast upon Obama so many months ago.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 4:14 PM

docweasel…

Maybe you aren’t reading all the comments, but most people here are very happy with the Palin pick. Sure there are a few detractors or fence-sitters (like Allah), but that’s to be expected. I don’t remember the last time conservatives got this excited about a candidate. We’d probably have to go back to Reagan.

Immolate on August 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM

No, you ignorant sl-t,…

Wow. Just plain wow. This is a right-of-center blog representing views of the GOP and the Right, correct? I haven’t suddenly gone over to DailyKos where they tar and feather and personally demean anyone who doesn’t agree with them politically?

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, YADA, YADA, YADA

Doofus in MI; I was paraphrasing SNL! Your wittle feelings hurt? Throw the KosKids at another commenter and then claim others demean? I guess freedom of speech only counts if you agree with the atheists? Listen buddy, I’ve taken all kind of swipes from small men like you before and NONE of them have won (I’m a chick). So, get over yourself.

Branch Rickey on August 30, 2008 at 4:16 PM