Heather MacDonald: Thanks for destroying the GOP with identity politics, McCain

posted at 2:47 pm on August 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

This is not the Republican Party she thought she knew.

Of course, Democrats have been playing the identity-politics game to the hilt this election cycle; it’s what they do. And it will be amusing to watch them twist themselves into knots to avoid criticizing the Palin pick for what it is: a diversity ploy…

I thought that conservatives scoffed at the idea that American society systematically blocks accomplished women from advancement. But within less than an hour of the vice-presidential announcement yesterday morning, the diversity epidemic had spread rapidly in the Republican political machinery, including among analysts for whom I have only the highest respect. Talk-show host Laura Ingraham enthused about Palin’s identity profile: “A lot of women are calling in excited,” Ingraham said. “The women of America will see that she might be the first woman vice president.”…

Race and gender are almost never a valid job qualification. Yet they have taken over in field after field—whether in the hiring of lawyers and selection of judges, in the choice of books and art to which students will be exposed from the moment that they step into a classroom, in the composition of police and fire departments, or in the selection of corporate boards. This tendency must be fought, not capitulated to.

True, Palin brings traditional political strengths—such as gun enthusiasm and a pro-life record—to the ticket. Her fight against self-dealing in Alaskan politics counters the inside-the-Beltway corruption that damaged the Republicans in the 2006 elections. And her stance on drilling for Alaskan oil admirably bolsters the Republican Party platform on energy issues. But admit it, fellow conservatives: none of these attributes pushed her over the top. Your enthusiasm for her is driven in large measure by the fact that the McCain camp has beaten the Democrats at their own game, and in so doing, driven Obama’s moment of glory off the wires.

A righteous point and one that shouldn’t be lost in the shuffle of Palinmania or the glee of watching liberals walk into rhetorical doorknobs about the dangers of on-the-job training in the White House during wartime. Just as the left is suddenly finding itself “insulted” that McCain would make the sort of tribalist play that they’ve been perfecting for decades, the right has breezed past the fact that, as MacDonald says, Gov. “Stanley” Palin wouldn’t have stood a chance for the nomination. (And no, needless to say, neither would a first-term senator from the midwest who lacked The One’s narrative, but we’re talking about conservatives here.) It’s hard to argue, in other words, that her gender wasn’t a necessary condition for the appointment — but it’s easy to argue that it wasn’t a sufficient condition, which to me is the more salient point. I want someone to look me in the eye and tell me that Meg Whitman or Carly Fiorina or Kay Bailey Hutchison, or even Bobby Jindal for that matter, could have delivered like this:

I’ve been covering the GOP presidential race since November of 2006. In those many months — across many states — I have never seen a crowd with the energy that I witnessed yesterday at the Erwin Nutter Center in Dayton, Ohio…

[E]ven after the choice was proclaimed, the crowd seemed to become more jacked. And when Sarah Palin delivered, they seemed to instantly fall in love…

And outside the arena, far from Dayton, the response I’ve gotten from Republican activists coast-to-coast has been one of almost joy. My email in-box is bursting with enthusiasm from loyal GOPers who’ve been either glum, skeptical or downright unhappy for the past two years.

Nothing new there. Check out the quotes from her opponents in the Alaska gubernatorial race near the top of today’s NYT profile, half-sneering and half-marveling at how helpless they were to challenge her likeability with policy. Money quote: “You know, that’s kind of like Obama.” McCain, a guy known for topping out in his monthly fundraising in the high twenties, pulled $4.5 million yesterday in about 14 hours after the pick was announced. Just five days ago, when she wasn’t on anyone’s radar screen, I noted again how “continually amazed” I was at how much support there was for her among our readers. Go back to this VP straw poll three months ago, when she blew out blogosphere fave Mitt Romney, for even earlier evidence.

Bottom line: The more they learn about her, the more conservatives love this woman. She’s deep red on energy and social policy, she’s not a party toady, she has a common touch that precious few Republican pols have, and yeah, she’s not a “boring white guy.” Nothing wrong with boring white guys — I’m one myself — but I can’t begrudge the vast, vast majority of conservatives who aren’t racist or sexist but are forever being told that they are by our leftist superiors a little joy at having a chance to disprove it by electing a woman they’re excited about. Which brings me back to an irony I mentioned yesterday: I think Palin will end up appealing much less to Hillary’s outspoken women supporters, with whom she’s at odds on virtually every issue, than to the GOP base and to Hillary’s working-class supporters generally, who’ll find it easier to identify with a “hockey mom” with socially conservative impulses. Maverick may be trying to play identity politics, but I’m skeptical it’ll work out that way in practice.

FYI, the front-page photo comes from Meghan McCain’s candids of yesterday’s rally. Exit question: Why does MacDonald think “there’s no going back” from this identity politics gambit?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Because the left will never let us forget about it.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 2:50 PM

And shit always sticks to Republicans longer. We will stink. I hope McCain wins, but if not we will have lost some rights to be so righteous.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 2:51 PM

* self-righteous

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 2:52 PM

Gov. “Stanley” Palin wouldn’t have stood a chance for the nomination.

What’s more, if she were an unattractive female Bertha Palin, she wouldn’t have gotten the nomination either.

e-pirate on August 30, 2008 at 2:52 PM

It’s not a gimmick because women truly are different from men. It’s not about ethnicity or race or religion. There are real differences between the genders. Palin is qualified, and exciting, and I admire her. That she’s a woman is a bit of spice in the gumbo.

Paul-Cincy on August 30, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Washington Republicans have hardly kept themselves free of race- and gender-based decision making: one can think of many cabinet members and judicial nominations made on these grounds.

Does she believe that? Exactly how is that not the soft bigotry of low expectations that R’s regularly and rightly take D’s to the woodshed on?

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Who is Heather MacDonald and why do I care what she thinks?

HawaiiLwyr on August 30, 2008 at 2:54 PM

No one grants us that right anyway. All we ever get for condemning identity politics is “racist!” and “sexist!” anyway. Now suddenly McCain’s beating them at their own game and I’m supposed to weep?

Look: As awful as it is to admit it, identity politics works. The left has done a magnificent job of balkanizing America with community “identities.” It’s noble not to play on that battlefield, but if you don’t, you’re forever in retreat as the battlefield expands.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Exit answer > because she’s a hack. They’re everywhere. Thick as hives. As common as mosquitos, on both sides. That’s why the folks can get so excited and so behind one of their own. By the way… most hacks are created in college. They never had a chance. They know no other way. Just hacks. All the time and in every instance.

Griz on August 30, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Why will we stink for putting forward a strong self-made, politically courageous woman as a prominent face in our party?

I cannot fathom why a governor whose views I support, who is a leader on the most daunting issue we face, and who is charismatic should be hamstrung by conservative bedwetting over the fear of being labeled “identity jockey”.

For God’s sakes we are always labeled “something” by the msm and these people…they are not the target audience the electorate is.

At the end of the day GOVERNOR Palin is neither any more or less an affirmitive action ploy than Mr. “I was a community organizar DAMN IT” is.

I’ll take her at face value and back her so long as I think she is an effective foil and stand-in for my views.

We call that “living in a representative democracy”.

sven

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Stanley Palin might have been picked over the oil/energy issue.

These same crybabies would have McCain pick who, the “boring rich white guy” they have been warning him NOT to pick for the last six months.

Get over yourselves, you wanted to diversify, energize and reconstitute the party, well you got it. And I am happy with the choice.

Bishop on August 30, 2008 at 2:57 PM

the glee of watching liberals walk into rhetorical doorknobs

You slay me, Allah!

nukemhill on August 30, 2008 at 2:58 PM

It’s not what you are but who. The What is what the left has been at for all these years. The RIGHT, on the other hand, has been about the WHO.

And now we have a who, that happens to be one of those “whats”.

I get the point, but you don’t see me celebrating this pick because of what Ms. Palin is, but rather because of who she is- and what she’s actually done.

Course it’ll be great to see the lefties expose their nasty & entirely hypocritical underbellies. Can’t WAIT to see “Hoof-in-mouth” release from that skanky trap of his some sort of bile that’s just kicked right back in his face by someone who won’t take it.

That’s part of the brilliance of the pick, and why in comparison, the first major policy decision victory, hands down, goes to Maverick.

ChipDWood on August 30, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Allahpundit on August 30, 2008 at 2:55 PM

epic post Allah…it is foolish not to accept the battlefield if the battlefield is in fact the place of confrontation.

I wanted Condi not because she was a black female but because Dr. Rice supported my foreign policy views for a multi-polar world(which we are reentering).

We get labeled ID political even when we use pure merit….

throw it back in their face.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 2:59 PM

What’s so wrong about Palin? Intellectually, she’s a conservative. Just because she happens to be a woman, doesn’t mean the Repubs are necessarily pandering to identity politics. That would mean that no woman, or African-American, would ever be eligible for office because their selection would be ever viewed as mere identity politics.

This woman kicks ass. Why do you think she’s energizing the party? Would you prefer to lose this, and every subsequent election, simple for the sake of some hoary idea of intellectual purity? You’re nuts.

I’d rather live to fight another day. Christianity is on the defensive, and western civilization is in retreat. Our backs are on the ropes. Fight back.

ahem on August 30, 2008 at 2:59 PM

What’s Heather MacDonald ever done?

ctmom on August 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Hillary pro-abort fanatics were never going to vote for McCain no matter what, but the average mom who was leaning Hillary’s way because McCain was more of the same are thrilled by Sarah.

Besides, as Governor of Alaska, she has more executive experience than anyone else on the ticket.

But I think that the fact that top spots in both major parties are now filled with unexperienced people, and the public seems to love them both, says something that maybe both parties should be hearing.

Lily on August 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Sarah is a conservative who happens to be a woman. She isnt a woman show just happens to be conservative

William Amos on August 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM

HawaiiLwyr on August 30, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Who is Heather MacDonald and why do I care what she thinks?

I like HM because she’s attractive and I’m a shallow person/dirty old man and she’s an atheist which isn’t cool in itself but it shows she’s an independant thinker. And she is a thinker, i.e. a conservative. She’s worth reading.

Paul-Cincy on August 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Well, when Obamas asked himself if he should pick a man or a woman (and you know he did ask himself that), Biden’s gender became part of the equation.

McCain’s choice — and his method and timing on the rollout — were near-perfect.

flipflop on August 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM

What’s Heather MacDonald ever done?

zero

JeffreyLloyd on August 30, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Nothing wrong with boring white guys — I’m one myself

B-b-b-b-b-but Allah!!!

*faints*

nukemhill on August 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Being self-righteous is a right, RC?

I thought it was a side effect of religion.

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM

The Democrats and their media arm, the MSM, laid out the playing table this year and it is Identity politics.

They placed their bets on a Black Man with no experience and a folio of policies that will destroy this country.

Republicans had two choices. We could decide we did not want to play on this table and lose, OR we could beat them at their own game.

We see your black man and raise you a white woman. That is the opening bid of this year’s political poker game.

Elizabetty on August 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM

In his selection of Sarah Palin, McCain crossed the gender Rubicon in the Republican party. He has boldly gone -for better or worse – where no other Republican has gone before. It’s a risky gambit that just might work. Even if it doesn’t, “jacta alea est,” as the Romans used to say.

I cannot read MacDonald’s mind but I can guess that she perceives McCain to have chosen Palin BECAUSE she was a woman, rather than IN SPITE OF that fact.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:02 PM

BTW I love the left instead of giving Sarah the benefit of the doubt and giving herself a chance to prove herself they are attacking her for being a woman….

Hey left how about looking at her merits and not her gender ?

William Amos on August 30, 2008 at 3:02 PM

I want to play devil’s advocate here.

What is wrong with identity politics? Nothing. People who have things in common that distinguish identity have common interests. A Texas lawmaker should represent the identity of Texans and a New York lawmaker should represent the identity of New Yorkers. What makes IP despicable, in my view, is the abuse and manipulation of voting blocks. If the dems were really a party that helped black Americans move up the ladder, that would be commendable. But they don’t, they just take their vote and say thanks, see you in 4 years. [etc]

We can’t really complain about balkanization if we believe in federalism.

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2008 at 3:02 PM

I think a lot of the excitement has more to do with the fact that most of us were expecting McCain to do something that we would have to swallow for the “good of the country”. In that regard, at least for me, there was almost a sweet relief. A prolifer? An NRA member? Wants to drill? Shoot, after the past 6 months, that put me on cloud 9! And it had nothing to do with her gender. I think many in that excited crowd had a similar mixture of emotions and thoughts. The republican party has been trying to “win at all costs” for a while now, sacrificing a little bit here, a little bit there; and identity politics WILL take place in the party, I have no doubt about that. It is unfortunate, but if we can’t convince our GOP leaders that less government is better, how on earth are we going to stop the increase of focus on identity politics?

Weight of Glory on August 30, 2008 at 3:02 PM

That article is BS. NO ONE in social conservative circles would have been enthused by a Kay Bailey Hutchinson pick, or a Romney pick, let alone nearly united the party with the kind of enthusiasm we’ve seen. A “Harriet Miers” pick does not unite parties, it destroys them. Huckabee would have been a disaster, as would a Lieberman pick (with the base). Pawlenty doesn’t have Palin’s success at going against the establishment.

The ONLY problem with Palin was her short time in office, but that’s something that even Obama’s team is finding they’re getting burned trying to attack.

Look at the enthusiasm, the donations. Conservatives have been DYING for a real conservative to have a voice here, because let’s face it, the establishment “experience” people are the ones who’ve screwed up Washington all these years. McCain can wade through this on his Maverick image. Palin fits that mold, albeit a younger version. And she’s going to be able to help shape the party for years to come. That’s the message McCain is sending.

MacDonald is way off base.

ZP on August 30, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Who gives a rat’s backside what Heather MacDonald thinks?

rplat on August 30, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Being self-righteous is a right, RC?

I thought it was a side effect of religion.

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM

says the preaching dustbin baby backer….

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Go here and do a find on “blackberry”.

What an image!

Pianobuff on August 30, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Man, I am so sick of having my preferences for what kind of person I want for President be squeezed through some kind of PC-filter. All of these “pundits” can piss-off, I am Voting McCain/Palin and I don’t care what you think my reasons are.

Mord on August 30, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Being self-righteous is a right, RC?

I thought it was a side effect of religion.

alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Here’s proof our resident troll isn’t getting enough attention. Now adding religious bomb-throwing to political bomb-throwing. Sad, empty life.

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Conservatives are now energized whether or not the whiny left likes it or not. Go Sarah. Kick Biden’s arse!

Travis1 on August 30, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Perhaps Heather should give Palin a chance before she decides to toss her in the dustbin.

I have a feeling that if Mac chose someone like Romney, Heather would be crying that the GOP blew it’s chance to really shake things up and pick a fresh face…like Palin.

Are we sure Ms. MacDonald isn’t liberal, because she seems to have the whining down perfectly.

Bishop on August 30, 2008 at 3:04 PM

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Exactly. And the electorate is made up of a bunch of gullible and ignorant people. Just look at Obama’s success for an example of that.

As I stated in an earlier thread, campaigns are not about what is and what isn’t. They are about what the campaigns can convince the electorate to believe. Whether they be facts and logic or smears, lies and half-truths. Considering we have an electorate that believes in global warming, believes Bush Lied! and pretty much blames President Bush and the GOP for all the country’s problems, it is smart politics for the Left to continue taking advantage of that ignorance and gullibility.

This campaign is going to be about more efforts by the Left to just throw things out there and see how much of it will stick with the gullible, ignorant electorate. It has worked for them before and it could work again.

So this is not about what is and what isn’t, it is about what will the electorate believe. If the meme can be put out there that McCain was desperate and just picked Palin as an identity politics pick and the majority the electorate fall for it, well then we lose. It doesn’t matter that it is not true and that Palin is very qualified. It only matters what the public believes. Bush Lied and global warming are not true, but the public believes them.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 3:04 PM

And the more independents and moderates will dislike her. Check out the Rasmussen crosstabs for McCain’s support among independents today. I don’t have access, but word on the street is that they’re dismal.

Big S on August 30, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Partisans for their favorite cansidate put to much importance on the Vice-Presidency

What did Al Gore do as Vice-President, other than invent the internet? LOL

Chakra Hammer on August 30, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Bull. Gov. Palin is a person, not just a list of attributes. It’s the whole package that’s appealing. It’s “wow, what a cool woman” not “oh, a woman…and she’s done something sometime.”

I’m getting so annoyed at the people who are horrified that she’s not perfect and doesn’t have 100 years of experience.

MamaAJ on August 30, 2008 at 3:05 PM

You know what- screw it!

If Palin is Conservative and she advances the Conservative agenda even slightly- great.

If playing identity politics by picking a woman works, then do it.

I’m sick and damn tired of the Liberals playing by no rules and using whatever stunt they have to, to “fool ‘em again”!

The Republicans always have to sit back and play traditional as the f#cking Dems demagogue, stereotype, play class warfare and run their big mouths off all over the media with their snarky little jabs at Conservatives.

The time is well past to start fighting fire with fire.
Whatever it takes to advance Conservatism- do it.

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 3:05 PM

I agree HawaiiLwyr. Who the hell is Heather MacDonald and who really gives a flip what she thinks? When a complete nobody steps up and criticizes the Republicans, if they even blink, then and only then do they have a real problem. People like MacDonald are a dime a dozen and their opinion is only important in their own minds.

volsense on August 30, 2008 at 3:05 PM

What I find so amazing is this double standard gaffe watch. Imagine the press condescension if Palin implies she doesn’t know that Russia has a security council veto. Wait, didn’t the press already cover that gaffe? I must have imagined it.

Mark30339 on August 30, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Look: As awful as it is to admit it, identity politics works.

It does work. But when the identity is an assumed identity using smoke and mirrors, and prevailing circumstances to their advantage, to achieve an illusion of identity, then it’s outright fraud to which no one is held accountable when the perpetrator of that fraud is the darling of the media in full scope from floor to ceiling. The sad but true part of identity fraud politics is the gullibility of the masses who are so willing, even eager, to eat it all up with a spoon and beg for more.

Barack Hussein Obama is the epitomy of that.

SilverStar830 on August 30, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Stanley? Not the best hypothetical this election cycle.

Elliott on August 30, 2008 at 3:07 PM

The woman is a hockey mom. She’s articulate, conservative, and can hit the 5-hole. For you hockey parents out there (as I am one), that says enough for me.

McCain/Palin ’08 all the way!

jbh45 on August 30, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Big S on August 30, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Big S the Independants and moderates dont know her. They are getting fed garbage by the left and hearing the negative stuff it is rubbing off.

But I also saw polls that said most are intrigued by Palin and want to get a closer look at her at the convention. That is where the real decision comes in.

William Amos on August 30, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Allah: …identity politics works.

True, and in this case Gov. Palin’s selection as VP nominee just happens to be “sound” choice as well. If a conservative like Jeb is not going to run for high office, Sarah Palin will do just as well. A reformer of her own state republican party is a great attribute and (in my view) is the next best thing to term limits.

Zorro on August 30, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Being self-righteous is a right, RC? I thought it was a side effect of religion. – alphie on August 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Not quite, ma petite dopey fruit bat. Self-righteousness is a side effect of human nature.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:08 PM

the fact identity politics is a reality in this country is why this pick is even more brilliant, ignoring this reality isnt going to help winning anyway.

that said, she’s also young, has an excellent record that appeals to the Fiscal and Social cons at the same time. some LP cranks even are liking her, and yet she was able to give a ‘rebate’ on tax revenue from oil companies back to Alaskans. The fact also of drilling and Alaska also play into the one key GOP issue.

no need to conceed absolutely that the only reason she was selected was because she was a woman. Was Condi only selected because she was a black female?

jp on August 30, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Big S on August 30, 2008 at 3:04 PM

I disagree, Barry has been and is getting a free ride…the press does not even mock his genuine fear of real debate.

Independents(those who are not just refusing to delf-0identify donks) may not like Palin’s positions but will find it refreshing to have someone who takes a stand rather than “present”….

great ad…..

“present” near an empty chair….

could be the new daisy ad

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Screw the gender issue! “Stanley Palin” – bah. They say we wouldn’t be so excited about a Stanley. Well, if Sarah were male, she’d basically be Ted Nugent. And I’d put the Nuge at VP any day.

McCain’s selection of Palin is only tangentially about issues, and even less about gender. It is really more like the Doolittle Raids in WWII – certainly not a crippling blow to the enemy, but a HUGE morale shift. There is buzz and expectation now that could be created no other way.

Great pick.

innominatus on August 30, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Heather MacDonald is a great Conservative writer and activist.

Here I think she’s rushed to judgment.
Palin stands on her own right.

Speakup on August 30, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Barack Hussein Obama is the epitomy of that.

SilverStar830 on August 30, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Who cares?

If it works- do it!

This is war- not a polite disagreement. And the sooner Conservatives realize that- the better.

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Big S on August 30, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Dear Heather McDonald:

STFU.

I’m a 50 year old conservative woman. I have personally been told by a state Republican chairman that women have no place in the leadership of our party. I have for years watch women do all the work while men get all the glory. I have experienced and witnessed massive gender discrimination and the grossest kinds of sexism within this party over 35 years. I watched Elizabeth Dole get laughed at when she ran for President and I wept.

If you don’t think it matters to women like me to see Sarah Palin up there at the head table and not shooed back into the kitchen, you need to have your head surgically removed from your anus.

Sincerely,

rockmom

rockmom on August 30, 2008 at 3:11 PM

No matter who McCain picked, that person was in for the same treatment. If it wasn’t “diversity ploy”, it would be “rich” or “corporate” or “Jew” or “Sellout” or “Same”.

What McDonald apparently is doing, is to accuse McCain of hypocrisy. I’m prepared to hear it howled by all the sour-grapes munching little gargoyles. Whatevs. What I saw was a brilliant political tactic. The Dems made a little history in 2008. So did McCain and Palin.

RushBaby on August 30, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Exactly. She fought against corrupt Republicans. That says so much about her. Doing that for ONLY a couple years is so much better than doing little for a lot longer.

MamaAJ on August 30, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Who is Heather MacDonald and why do I care what she thinks?

HawaiiLwyr on August 30, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Sarah Palin is the “newscycle” right now, and Heather McDonald can’t write a vanity or puff piece, about her because then you won’t remember Heather McDonald. Now this is called making your bones, she is trying to make her bones off of Sarah Palin (Heather wants some free publicity for her self)…but you know what, I am still remembering Sarah Palin and Heather Who? wrote yada, yada, yada….

Dr Evil on August 30, 2008 at 3:12 PM

get a clip from C-span of Barry saying “present” and juxtapose it across an empty desk in a dark room with the red phone flashing……“present” near an empty chair…. could be the new daisy ad – sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Well? Don’t just sit there. make it happen. After, of course, you finish the SARAH’CUDA video – like I promised you would.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Allah some unsolicited advice

you’re not going to get laid with this

windansea on August 30, 2008 at 3:13 PM

And it will continue to do so. They won’t get a chance to get to know her. She has exactly two opportunities to help herself – the convention speech and the VP debate – and will otherwise be drowned out by Obama-Biden campaign attacks on her and McCain’s records. – Big S on August 30, 2008 at 3:11 PM

In the year 1988 I would agree. But it’s 20 years later and we are in the age of the Internet, FOX News and talk radio. The odds are a little more even.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:15 PM

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Damn it Jim I’m an ex-air cargo worker not an arts and croissants guy captain!

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Hey, look at it any way you want.
See it resulting from what ever.
Regardless,
Palin settles the Huck/Romney debacle once and for all.

McCain/Palin ’08
Great Day for America

maverick muse on August 30, 2008 at 3:15 PM

It’s people like MacDonald who are keeping the GOP from taking the gloves off.

The Left needs to be attacked on all fronts. If the masses are ignorant dolts- then play to them like ignorant dolts.

Let’s do what it takes to “fool ‘em today”. Go for the friggin jugular! Enough of this nice guy politics crap!

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Not trying to be flip, but I echo: WHO IS HEATHER MACDONALD?

SouthernGent on August 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Who is Heather MacDonald and why do I care what she thinks?
HawaiiLwyr on August 30, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Never heard of her. Looked her up, and as near as I can tell she’s spent a career trying to tell conservatives that we should we should all believe in Atheism.

…and now, apparently, we also need to be misogynists too.

[Typed as I sit perched on the edge of my seat waiting for someone I just now heard of for the first time in my entire life to please, please oh God PLEASE tell me what else conservatives need to believe!!!]

logis on August 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Geez, HotAir is really getting ridiculous. If commenters criticize Palin or McCain, we are loons, secret DNC or Obama operatives or not true conservatives, etc. Now when a pundit simply writes an article independent of all the adulation of the last 24+ hours, she should STFU? Great tolerance of differing views coming from the right, here. I also recall in AllahPundit’s pessimism thread that people were attacking him, simply because he wasn’t going all Chris Matthews about Sarah Palin.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Damn it Jim I’m an ex-air cargo worker not an arts and croissants guy captain! – sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 3:15 PM

LOL. Ever see Casablanca? If so, then you will appreciate what Rick Blaine says to Capt. Renault at the end of the flick. It’s the last line spoken in the movie.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:18 PM

If it works…

elduende on August 30, 2008 at 3:18 PM

To paraphrase Saturday Night Live from the seventies,

” Heather, you ignorant sl-t!”

To wit:

No, you ignorant sl-t, it is the above strongly emphasized [mine] QUALIFICATIONS that EARNED her a spot on the ticket!!!

INMAO, Let’s not hear from you again “Heather” until after election since you don’t seem to truly understand conservatives.

Branch Rickey on August 30, 2008 at 3:18 PM

Republicans love it when a woman or a minority of character has the sense to be a conservative. That reaction isn’t a reflection of identity politics so much as a yearning for inclusion. We want the message and the philosophy to appeal to people who have traditionally aligned with the liberals.

We celebrate quality, non-traditional candidates because they are inherently inclusive. They open the door of opportunity within the Republican party to more women and minorities to follow in their footsteps. A party of conservative people that is more representative of its consituency is inherently more desirable.

I do understand the trepidation being expressed by the old-school conservatives for new-fangled candidates. They have an empire of pork to preserve. They are fraternity lawyers who want to maintain the advantage that their own resume grants them in political circles.

We saw with our own eyes, and to our own despair, just how effective old-school fraternity lawyers can be when they have a majority in Congress. They forgot everything they were elected to do and settled into the trough as if making up for lost time. Soon they were indistinguishable from those they replaced.

McCain, warts and all, along with Palin, thankfully wart-free, will neither encourage nor enable the pork-fest. They will reform. That is their mandate.

People have wondered why it is that McCain would toss away his strongest criticism of Obama. He has ridden that horse long and hard, and it has carried him well. But this is the time when he must find another message: the message that will carry him through 11/4 and victory. He’s gotten all the traction he can get from the inexperience point. Everyone knows it and is aware of it. The only added mileage he can get from it is when Obama brings it up (and he will).

Now he needs to take the focus off of Obama and offer us something that we can vote FOR. That something is change. Real change. Specific change. That change is obvious, and he couldn’t have a better ticket to represent it. Reform is Obama’s new Achilles heel.

Immolate on August 30, 2008 at 3:19 PM

blink on August 30, 2008 at 3:06 PM
I’ve spoken with many conservatives during the last 24 hours that claim that she or Jindal would have been their first choice regardless of gender or race.

I can’t imagine Jindal would ever play the race card, even though he’s probably darker than Obama. Excuse me if I’m showing my bigotry here, but it seems Asians rarely play the race card, while blacks and Hispanics do. Maybe because Asians are kicking everyone’s ass. Legacy of slavery. They can often pass for white? Nah, not really. A lot of people can pass for white, they still play the identity card. Maybe because Jindal is a conservative? Clarence Thomas couldn’t care less about race. That’s not how he defines himself.

Paul-Cincy on August 30, 2008 at 3:19 PM

PALIN is a Political star, win or loose this election, we will be hearing more from her. besides, Alaska girls kick ass.

custer on August 30, 2008 at 3:19 PM

What an idiot … must be jealousy. Palin is the strongest conservative candidate of any sex and that is a huge plus for McCain as it keeps his base in-line. The fact that Barry gave him a birthday present in choosing Obiden rather than Hillary is a secondary consideration.

Listen to John Lott on Aug 28 (skip to 56:20) for a hint of what Barry is really like. The background to this story is at 47:00 in the same clip.

gh on August 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

If 90-95% of the time, the GOP attacks affirmative action and identity politics (like the famous Jesse Helms ad of white man-hands holding/tearing up a pink slip), and then 5-10% of the time instead capitalizes on them for an electoral advantage, how is that “capitulation”?

It looks to me like cynically taking advantage of your opponent’s weakness while in general opposing his stupid policies.

daryl_herbert on August 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

This is really getting worrisome, seeing the right act like the Left. I’m hoping it is just a few of the commenters that comment here and not representative of the right overall. Because seeing this irrational anger spewed towards anyone who doesn’t toe the liene is getting tiresome. – Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM

I understand your frustration, Mike. But let them rant. This is the first time in a very LONG time that these folks (myself included) have been this stoked over a conservative candidate. Try to look at it from that perspective.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

So how did we end up with Sandra Day O’Connor on SCOTUS and Liddy Dole in charge of the 2006 senate campaign. Identity politics played no factor at all?

Wethal on August 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

No, you ignorant sl-t,…

Wow. Just plain wow. This is a right-of-center blog representing views of the GOP and the Right, correct? I haven’t suddenly gone over to DailyKos where they tar and feather and personally demean anyone who doesn’t agree with them politically?

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:18 PM

yup….

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Why do I have the feeling that the Liberals in this country have spent the last decade infiltrating the Republican base and posing as “real conservatives”?

Hmmmmm? Maybe because now these little moles are starting to rear their little heads.

The GOP needs a Liberal enema- and fast!

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Yup, servers shut down all over the place after the announcement as people rushed to see what Palin was all about.

McCain’s brilliant anti-Baracky ads just on the interlinks are getting huge numbers, wait until they hit prime time tv.

Bishop on August 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Well, if that’s how it’s going to be around here now, then I’ll pass on the comments section and just stick with the good analysis and news from AllahPundit and Ed. I can get stoked for things and not utterly demean my opponents. This is turning into DailyKos-lite over here with some of the attitudes of people and some of the comments. Pathetic.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 3:22 PM

So how did we end up with Sandra Day O’Connor on SCOTUS… -Wethal on August 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Reagan f**ked up. It happens.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Dr Evil on August 30, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Spot on!

The reall proof will come in four (or eight) years. If Palin does the job I believe she will, “identity politics” will take another step toward extinction.

When either party runs a qualified, trustworthy black man (or woman) and he/she wins and does their country proud, that will be another positive step.

MrScribbler on August 30, 2008 at 3:22 PM

I am kinda over this fretting over the gender pick.

On almost every online poll that Palin has been a selection she won and the crowd was overwhelmed yesterday. Maybe it was calculated, but it also should that McCain was LISTENING TO THE BASE and gave THEM what THEY WANTED.

So the Base wanted Palin – we’re all here to piss Heather off I guess.

Go back in your beltway bubble Heather.

Topsecretk9 on August 30, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Seems to be working for the Left doesn’t it?

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Immolate on August 30, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Nice post.

Spirit of 1776 on August 30, 2008 at 3:23 PM

should = showed

Topsecretk9 on August 30, 2008 at 3:23 PM

This is really getting worrisome, seeing the right act like the Left.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2008 at 3:23 PM

And one more thing on this Identity Politics business. I have one: I’m a Conservative. Most of the Republican base is. My eyes haven’t quit smarting from the sticks that kept being poked in them. I wasn’t holding out much hope that he would select a conservative running mate. But…

…with the selection of Sarah Palin, a Conservative, John McCain signaled that he values my vote.

And the stick goes in the eye of all the Country Club type Republicans who have been attempting to herd John McCain to the left all year.

John McCain is my Maverick now.

RushBaby on August 30, 2008 at 3:25 PM

This is turning into DailyKos-lite over here with some of the attitudes of people and some of the comments. Pathetic. – Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 3:22 PM

I wouldn’t go THAT far in my comparison. The pot is presently boiling over. Let it simmer down, Mike. Hang around. There is a lot of time to talk between now and November 4 – and we are fortunate to have you here. I, for one, appreciate what you have to say.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:25 PM

she’s an atheist

Explains much to me….jealous much Heather?

A truly happy Christian woman with a wonderful family and actually WORKS for a living….

Branch Rickey on August 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM

I usually like HM but she’s missing the mark on this one. I like SP because she is a true conservative not a RINO. She seems to be a person of integrity and spirit. That she is a woman is just icing on the cake.

mrsmwp on August 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Allahpundit on August 30, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Just who in the hell would you have picked for the Republican ticket AP? Both Pres and VP.

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Are you a Republican? Does Ted Stevens inclusion in the party mean he represents your views?

It’s one or two people making a snark, take a break if you need to but quit pretending that every remark you don’t like means the downfall of the conservative movement.

Bishop on August 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Not sure where you’re getting that they’re dismal. Quote:

In the new survey, 35% of voters say the selection of Palin makes them more likely to vote for McCain while 33% say they are less likely to do so. Most Republicans say they are more likely to vote for Palin and most Democrats say the opposite. As for voters not affiliated with either major party, 37% are more likely to vote for McCain and 28% less likely to do so. Those numbers are a bit more positive than initial reaction to Biden.

Democrats are pissed, Republicans are thrilled, independents are positive on balance.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Indeed. I understand the enthusiasm, guys, but don’t go puritan on me. This is a great pick in some ways, a bad one in others. Hard truths. – Allahpundit on August 30, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Indeed. If we are to win this, then cooler heads must prevail.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM