Heather MacDonald: Thanks for destroying the GOP with identity politics, McCain

posted at 2:47 pm on August 30, 2008 by Allahpundit

This is not the Republican Party she thought she knew.

Of course, Democrats have been playing the identity-politics game to the hilt this election cycle; it’s what they do. And it will be amusing to watch them twist themselves into knots to avoid criticizing the Palin pick for what it is: a diversity ploy…

I thought that conservatives scoffed at the idea that American society systematically blocks accomplished women from advancement. But within less than an hour of the vice-presidential announcement yesterday morning, the diversity epidemic had spread rapidly in the Republican political machinery, including among analysts for whom I have only the highest respect. Talk-show host Laura Ingraham enthused about Palin’s identity profile: “A lot of women are calling in excited,” Ingraham said. “The women of America will see that she might be the first woman vice president.”…

Race and gender are almost never a valid job qualification. Yet they have taken over in field after field—whether in the hiring of lawyers and selection of judges, in the choice of books and art to which students will be exposed from the moment that they step into a classroom, in the composition of police and fire departments, or in the selection of corporate boards. This tendency must be fought, not capitulated to.

True, Palin brings traditional political strengths—such as gun enthusiasm and a pro-life record—to the ticket. Her fight against self-dealing in Alaskan politics counters the inside-the-Beltway corruption that damaged the Republicans in the 2006 elections. And her stance on drilling for Alaskan oil admirably bolsters the Republican Party platform on energy issues. But admit it, fellow conservatives: none of these attributes pushed her over the top. Your enthusiasm for her is driven in large measure by the fact that the McCain camp has beaten the Democrats at their own game, and in so doing, driven Obama’s moment of glory off the wires.

A righteous point and one that shouldn’t be lost in the shuffle of Palinmania or the glee of watching liberals walk into rhetorical doorknobs about the dangers of on-the-job training in the White House during wartime. Just as the left is suddenly finding itself “insulted” that McCain would make the sort of tribalist play that they’ve been perfecting for decades, the right has breezed past the fact that, as MacDonald says, Gov. “Stanley” Palin wouldn’t have stood a chance for the nomination. (And no, needless to say, neither would a first-term senator from the midwest who lacked The One’s narrative, but we’re talking about conservatives here.) It’s hard to argue, in other words, that her gender wasn’t a necessary condition for the appointment — but it’s easy to argue that it wasn’t a sufficient condition, which to me is the more salient point. I want someone to look me in the eye and tell me that Meg Whitman or Carly Fiorina or Kay Bailey Hutchison, or even Bobby Jindal for that matter, could have delivered like this:

I’ve been covering the GOP presidential race since November of 2006. In those many months — across many states — I have never seen a crowd with the energy that I witnessed yesterday at the Erwin Nutter Center in Dayton, Ohio…

[E]ven after the choice was proclaimed, the crowd seemed to become more jacked. And when Sarah Palin delivered, they seemed to instantly fall in love…

And outside the arena, far from Dayton, the response I’ve gotten from Republican activists coast-to-coast has been one of almost joy. My email in-box is bursting with enthusiasm from loyal GOPers who’ve been either glum, skeptical or downright unhappy for the past two years.

Nothing new there. Check out the quotes from her opponents in the Alaska gubernatorial race near the top of today’s NYT profile, half-sneering and half-marveling at how helpless they were to challenge her likeability with policy. Money quote: “You know, that’s kind of like Obama.” McCain, a guy known for topping out in his monthly fundraising in the high twenties, pulled $4.5 million yesterday in about 14 hours after the pick was announced. Just five days ago, when she wasn’t on anyone’s radar screen, I noted again how “continually amazed” I was at how much support there was for her among our readers. Go back to this VP straw poll three months ago, when she blew out blogosphere fave Mitt Romney, for even earlier evidence.

Bottom line: The more they learn about her, the more conservatives love this woman. She’s deep red on energy and social policy, she’s not a party toady, she has a common touch that precious few Republican pols have, and yeah, she’s not a “boring white guy.” Nothing wrong with boring white guys — I’m one myself — but I can’t begrudge the vast, vast majority of conservatives who aren’t racist or sexist but are forever being told that they are by our leftist superiors a little joy at having a chance to disprove it by electing a woman they’re excited about. Which brings me back to an irony I mentioned yesterday: I think Palin will end up appealing much less to Hillary’s outspoken women supporters, with whom she’s at odds on virtually every issue, than to the GOP base and to Hillary’s working-class supporters generally, who’ll find it easier to identify with a “hockey mom” with socially conservative impulses. Maverick may be trying to play identity politics, but I’m skeptical it’ll work out that way in practice.

FYI, the front-page photo comes from Meghan McCain’s candids of yesterday’s rally. Exit question: Why does MacDonald think “there’s no going back” from this identity politics gambit?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Sometimes (like when I watch a portion of an Obama speech) I wonder how the country has bought all of this left wing crap all these years. We could have been united now. We could have (and I believe still am) respected throughout most of the world. We have lived through 5-6 years at least of the most dishonest propaganda ever in politics.

…and it wasn’t coming from the Bush Administration.

cntrlfrk on August 30, 2008 at 4:09 PM

God don’t I know it!

Just this morning my wife and I were having breakfast with a group of friends- and the Left-wing talking points of “worst economy evah!” and “3 trillion dollar war” and “Saddam was never a threat” and “we illegally invade Iraq” bilge came up. After a half an hour of introducing the TRUTH to these ……people…….I sat there in dumfounded amazement at just how much of the Left’s propaganda has taken root in the national pyche.

If you repeat a lie often enough…..cattle……..sigh*

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 4:17 PM

It’s short sighted, it will come back to haunt you. It may take some time but it will backfire on the dems.

4shoes on August 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM

When? After they occupy the White House and Congress for 20 years?

How much irreversable damage will that cause?

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 4:03 PM

I concede, that thought is frightening. My fear, with the MSM firmly anchored to the left, if we’re caught any way in a half-truth, we’ll be buried under it forever, while the left gets a free pass to do whatever they please.

4shoes on August 30, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Quite honestly, none of the “boring white guys” was doing it for me either. My reaction to Lieberman all the way to Huckabee was basically meh to hell no.

rbj on August 30, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Hey maybe the fact that she’s such an avid jogger is why she’ll win. (Bush always looks good running, biking now due to his knees).

Gov. Palin ran 10 miles a day before Trig was born and is back up to 3 every other. Perhaps she will pull in some old Clintonian wheatgrassers.

Does that qualify as identity politics Heather Mac?

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 4:25 PM

If the Palin selection were all about identity politics, wouldn’t McCain have gone with someone like Kay Baily Hutchison or Marsha Blackburn?

flyfisher on August 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM

4shoes on August 30, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Caught in a half-truth?

The MSM catches us in the TRUTH and it results in this little gem:

“Bush lied, people died!”

We can’t win this game playing by THEIR ever-changing rules.

Screw ‘em! Let’s fool ‘em!

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Biden’s been in the Senate for decades, what the hell has he ever actually done.
docweasel on August 30, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Well let’s see. Biden was an active participant in “The Hi-Tech Lynching of a Supreme Court Nominee!”

Branch Rickey on August 30, 2008 at 4:27 PM

MacDonald was a Romney supporter, correct?

grow up, honey. McCain didn’t destroy anything.

funky chicken on August 30, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Maybe Heather McDonald and David Frum are the sorts of people we don’t need to be listening to right now. They are establishment and the Republican establishment in case anyone missed it hasn’t exactly been knocking them out of the park. The elite don’t get it.

Sara is one of us…they are not. We are tired of their “solutions”…we want someone who has common sense and all one has to do is listen to Sarah’s interview on CNBC to know just how together this woman is. No stuttering, no ahh, no pauses just straight in your face responses….Sarah is the Anti-Establishment.

Throw the bums out…all of them.

PierreLegrand on August 30, 2008 at 4:30 PM

I suppose that next we’re going to hear that 95% of blacks voting for Obama is not identity politics. I don’t see it destroying the Dems just yet. Heather needs to shut up with this nonsense. Was she just looking to say something she hoped was pertinent?

jeanie on August 30, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Branch Rickey, your “Doofus in MI” is puerile. So is the “wittle feelings” in regards to someone who can take a lot, and disagree politely, and eloquently, like MiM.

Then you call an unknown person “a small man”, while claiming the superior chickhood? Also the “get over yourself”…

I’m on your side on the election, but some of this is really over the top and unnecessary.

Entelechy on August 30, 2008 at 4:32 PM

The first thing is to win. Palin obviously juiced the base and staggered Hussein’s campaing into incoherence since he was retracting his campaign’s first statement about her within hours of its being made.

If mustard gas works for the enemy, we have to use some ourselves. The point is to win. Win win win. My first instinct was that she should raise her babies instead of go to DC. My second instinct is she helps us win. If we have to use the enemy’s tactics against him, well, anything that makes him cough blood.

Akzed on August 30, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Sounds like shes part of the socialist left that have infiltrated the “Republican party” and are now mad that actual conservatism doesn’t blend with her social agenda.

I went from not even sure I was going to vote for President to already sending McCain/Palin my contribution …and my vote.

Doogiesd on August 30, 2008 at 4:33 PM

4shoes on August 30, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Caught in a half-truth?

The MSM catches us in the TRUTH and it results in this little gem:

“Bush lied, people died!”

We can’t win this game playing by THEIR ever-changing rules.

Screw ‘em! Let’s fool ‘em!

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM

I can’t argue with that fact. It’s just a personal pet peeve of mine. If you don’t have honesty, you have nothing.

4shoes on August 30, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Rosslyn Smith (American Thinker)

No Dan Quayle (and no Hillary Clinton, either.)

What may be even more important in the long run, however, is that Palin represents the post feminist generation of women in politics. She appeals to both men and women without ever being either strident or resorting to dealing the gender card off the bottom of the deck.

Loxodonta on August 30, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Loxodonta on August 30, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Plus there’s no footaqe of her badmouthing McCain in the primaries. It’s just a brilliant pick. I think that we are going to be enjoying Sarah being in our lives for a long time.

Akzed on August 30, 2008 at 4:36 PM

I don’t know if it is “identity politics” or not, I don’t care. I don’t care if she is man or woman, she hunts, fishes, belongs to the NRA, is from a small American town, and is very bright, outgoing, and willing to work and take a chance. Let’s give her a chance.

I am tired of Washington (or Chicago) politicians on both sides of the aisle, Let’s try something different and see if the real America responds. Give her a chance to bone up on foreign and national policy, to be tutored by McCain’s people. Let her take a look at McCain’s ideas and policies through an outsiders eyes. Maybe she can bring him around, and just maybe she can bring this election home for the good guys.

kam582 on August 30, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Actually, Reagan warned us about YOUR kind. And he even specified the genus and species: Dopus flyingmousicus-fruiterii.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Super Sweet Post! Fab and Brill!

Branch Rickey on August 30, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Bone up on foreign policy? 90% of what she needs to know is America First, and I think she already has that down.

Akzed on August 30, 2008 at 4:37 PM

4shoes on August 30, 2008 at 4:33 PM

who says that in coopting the use of identity as a pull to our side we have o either lie or cash in our views?

Stay honest, pick the best person for the job…..

the veep’s job is party unity.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Any political candidate is a package–personality, experience, education, what have you. When you judge a candidate you consider that package as a whole, as well as its component parts. You might not like each of the component parts, but if the whole is what can do the job, you vote for that candidate.

I don’t see Sarah as any different from any other candidate in that regard–her being a woman is only one of the parts, not the whole. But if that part happens to be one that matters most to a given block of voters who might not otherwise vote GOP, well…I can live with that. Just because that voting bloc is playing identity politics with her gender doesn’t mean we are or that McCain is or that she is herself.

Bob's Kid on August 30, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Entelechy on August 30, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Heheh, I actually started a response to her and then decided it was not worth it. I always find it ironic for people online to claim to know me based on a few comments I leave on a website. They disagree with a few comments and, without knowing anything about me personally or how I live my life or what I do for a living or how I treat people in my everyday life… they immediately consider me a “small man” and a “doofus”. heh Brilliant.

But, this is the kind of stuff that is really starting to grow tiresome. It’s one thing to disagree on issues as we have all done with illegal immigration and the war effort (MB4 and I have had our back and forth debates on that topic) and social issues, etc., but it is quite another to start calling people names and throwing them out of the party and telling them to STFU simply based on disagreeing on politics.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 4:41 PM

I agree that she will put America first, and that is certainly different from her opponents from the other side.

However, she is already being attacked because of a perceived lack of knowledge of foreign policy. I am hoping that when she debates Biden, she will be able to clean his clock, and show America that she was the right pick.

kam582 on August 30, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Rosslyn Smith (American Thinker)

No Dan Quayle (and no Hillary Clinton, either.)

Loxodonta on August 30, 2008 at 4:34 PM

That’s excellent.

Also great to see others who read American Thinker. Some great, great discussion and opinions presented there. It’s a daily read for me after Rush Limbaugh turned me on to the site months ago. My bookmarks-folder on Obama is FULL of excellent articles they have done researching his background and exposing his corruption. Great site.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 4:44 PM

kam582 on August 30, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Sincere question here, but how much foreign policy experience did President Bush have being the Governor of Texas? Or Bill Clinton being the Governor of Arkansas? Or Ronald Reagan being the Governor of California? They have executive experience, yes, but how did any of them gain any foreign policy experience while Governor to be able to claim they were ready for the Presidency’s foreign policy requirements?

Did any of them have responsibilities as Governor of their State which helped them prep for foreign policy issues?

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Bitch bitch bitch. So vote for the obamanation if it makes you feel better, toots. Or try holding your breath. That’ll work.

I like Palin for her conservative EXAMPLE, her moxie, her obvious political talent (she’s a winner), and her strength of character (something that Barry lacks entirely). Yeah, it was a daring pick. But I like that. It was also an effing brilliant pick in comparison to Joe Biden. I also like the way Palin interacts with McCain. She seems to have an energizing effect on him. She makes him look ten years younger. And like it or not, in modern American politics, appearances is half the game.

And furthermore, as a side note of little concern to most, I am greatly relieved that we will not be losing Governor Pawlenty up here in Minnesota, because he’s all we got standing between us and the pink-haired statist hordes that beset our body politic.

argos on August 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Re: Loxodonta on August 30, 2008 at 4:34 PM

My whole post is a quote from that article. Sorry for the formatting error. I really wasn’t trying to pull a Bradley.

Loxodonta on August 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM

She has the aura of destiny about her.

I think that’s what people are feeling.

Sometimes, that’s enough.

Halley on August 30, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Good point, but I am sure you have seen the comments and attacks. Why is that? Could it be that is all they have for now to attack her on? Are they trying to dull the attacks on Senator Obama? Just wondering.

kam582 on August 30, 2008 at 4:51 PM

kam582 on August 30, 2008 at 4:51 PM

what attacks on O’bama that are not counterattacks?

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 4:53 PM

kam582 on August 30, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Yes, I’ve seen the attacks. I think they are valid as far as foreign policy experience goes. But I am curious as to what foreign policy experience Bill Clinton had as a governor and President Bush as well. It would seem that governors would not have as much foreign policy experience as Senators unless they served in some foreign policy capacity in another position prior to becoming Governor.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 4:53 PM

She has the aura of destiny about her.

Don’t Obamify her. Her comparative qualifications are not found in her aura.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Don’t Obamify her. Her comparative qualifications are not found in her aura.

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 4:53 PM

4.9 million in 14 hours might buy little destiny.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 4:55 PM

none–which is why he had to pick Cheney for veep. Just like Obama had to pick Biden.

McCain was able to make a bold move that looks to the future of the nation and the party. Bush couldn’t do it….which is why I think there will be some bitterness from the Bush/Cheney/Romney folks over this pick for a while.

Too bad they apparently don’t believe in the American Dream any more. You know, where every kid born has the chance to be president? Where a parent can start out with local involvement in the PTA and discover a passion and talent for politics, and work his/her own way up to a shot at the White House?

shame on all of them

funky chicken on August 30, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Few Senators have succeeded as Presidents, since the Senate is a collection of smarmy, back-slapping hacks. This sort of clubbiness has plagued McCain. Biden hasn”t had another job since he was 29.
Governors have had much greater success, since they can’t hide in a crowd like Senators.
I’m much more comfortable with a popular Governor like Palin than these three Senators.
Of course, Obama has barely been in the Senate at all, and has no other impressive marks on his entire “resume”.

TexasJew on August 30, 2008 at 4:57 PM

4.9 million in 14 hours might buy little destiny.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 4:55 PM

I’m a whopping 1/4900 of that!
And I never gave a dime to McCain before Friday morning.

TexasJew on August 30, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Russia’s in real bad shape these days, isn’t it? We sure “destroyed” them. Defense spending creates no lasting value…once the money’s spent, it’s gone. – alphie on August 30, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Russia IS in bad shape, ma petit imbecile: they are in the grip of a thuggish, kleptocratic, oligarchy headed by a former KGB button man. Speaking of which…we destroyed the SOVIET UNION, you simpering little digbat. And here’s one final meme to completely blow what is left of your hash-crazed brain: the whole point of creating a massive nuclear and conventional arsenal is that we NEVER have to use it in a final world war.

Now here is a banana. Go have fun.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Entelechy on August 30, 2008 at 4:32 PM

As usual, Ent, I don’t give a flip about you or Doofus in Mi “enlightened” approach to politics. I usually just skip past your posts because you seem to think you are “the smartest person in the room,” but since you addressed me I actually read it.

This is a war for our nation’s future and if, like Palin, it means getting down to basics and calling a doofus a doofus then so be it.

I don’t think defending proper conservative is over the top.

OH, and get over yourself!

BTW, I don’t give a crap if you or anyone is on “my side” in this election. There is no “Fairness Doctrine” {as Orwellian as it is} yet; so I feel FREE to express myself.

Branch Rickey on August 30, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Stay honest, pick the best person for the job…..

the veep’s job is party unity.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Um,

Caught in a half-truth?

The MSM catches us in the TRUTH and it results in this little gem:

“Bush lied, people died!”

We can’t win this game playing by THEIR ever-changing rules.

Screw ‘em! Let’s fool ‘em!

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM

that was who I was responding to.

4shoes on August 30, 2008 at 5:04 PM

I agree with Mr. Michael In Mi and Mr./Ms.(?) TexasJew. I don’t trust a Senator, 30 year or 30 months in the Senate. I would much rather have a popular governor.

And Mr. Clinton had no foreign policy experience, and he was the best pres since Lincoln, just ask any dem.

kam582 on August 30, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Loxodonta on August 30, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Well said.

It’s only identity politics when the subject throws every other aspect of their being aside to highlight that ONE identifier to garner support from said group and uses a sense of victimhood as the main thrust of their campaign to try and guilt others into supporting them.

I think it’s more sour grapes than anything on MacDonald’s part. I liked Mitt too, but I’m over it. Palin’s a good pick that brings her own strengths and weaknesses to the ticket. Turns out, I actually liked it more than I thought I would have liked to see Mitt on the ticket. The woman brings energy to a campaign, and party, that needs it now more than ever.

SuperCool on August 30, 2008 at 5:05 PM

I’m a whopping 1/4900 of that!
And I never gave a dime to McCain before Friday morning.

TexasJew on August 30, 2008 at 4:59 PM

The same…win or lose Sarah has my backing the next time.

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Russia’s in real bad shape these days, isn’t it?

Read the demographics. That’s serious trouble, friend. A 16-year life expectancy gap for men? Probability of an 18-year-old making it to retirement age only 50 percent?

DrSteve on August 30, 2008 at 5:09 PM

simply based on disagreeing on politics.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Little man; I disagree with your wittle mind. As for your politics – your idiotic posts speak for themselves. HMcD is an “ignorant sl-t” (again, alluding to a “Joke” from SNL) by her own column. How dumb can HMcD be? Oh yeah, she lives and works in the NE corridor so she MUST be so much more intelligent then those of us who actually participate in a real business.

PFFFT – GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!!

Branch Rickey on August 30, 2008 at 5:12 PM

kam582 on August 30, 2008 at 5:04 PM

How about Arnie or Jesse the Body? Popular governors aren’t necessarily worth all the hype. This is fast turning into a feeling contest. The Obamacan are experiencing rapture, and now we’re just as giddy with our own Erin Brokovich. I’m for know entities. Whether you’re a D or an R, I’m not for social experimentation in presidential elections.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 5:14 PM

4shoes on August 30, 2008 at 4:33 PM

We’ve been honest and we have nothing.

The RNC needs to have absolute loyalty like the DNC. Everyone needs to be on the same page and in complete lock-step. Our candidates need to speak whatever moderate half-truths is necessary to get elected while keeping their Conservative agenda hidden, and once they secure an election- start working to the Right. And then just before the next election, inch back to the middle. Push the system to the Right inch by lovely inch. Real gradual like. And all the while- deny, deny, deny! Hell- let’s run ‘em as Independents! And never ever use the “C” word.

And starting right now- lets begin rooting out the dissenters and hidden Liberals while we back a RINO President. Starting with Palin we need to infiltrate this Administration.

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 5:16 PM

FiveWays on August 30, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Good luck trying to push McCain right. Maverick’s have this uncanny ability to resist any force, especially friendly nudging.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 5:18 PM

TexasJew on August 30, 2008 at 4:57 PM

I’m comfortable with Governor Palin with regards to her executive experience and handling a budget and issues like that, definitely. Ironically enough, it seems that Obama picked Biden to shore up his foreign policy weakness whereas McCain already had that as a strength, so he didn’t need a strong foreign policy VP, but did need someone who had executive experience. So Palin works out perfectly. If the Left attacks Palin on not having foreign policy experience, she can just note that the TOP of the DNC ticket has no foreign policy experience, while the TOP of the GOP ticket has it in spades.

funky chicken on August 30, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Good point. Did Gore give Clinton foreign policy experience? What was Gore’s experience prior to becoming VP?

As I noted above in response to TexasJew, the GOP has its foreign policy experience at the top of the ticket, so McCain didn’t need to take a VP based on that. He smartly chose someone who has executive experience to bolster that weakness on his part. So it was a good pick choosing a governor. She doesn’t need the foreign policy experience, since McCain has it.

I don’t believe Edwards had any foreign policy experience in 2004, did he? I don’t recall that ever being called out as a weakness by the press.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 5:22 PM

All I know is if I vote for either ticket or neither ticket I will be a racist, sexist, ageist or all three.

Bishop on August 30, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 5:22 PM

The elephant in the room is McCain’s economic issues. What does Palin bring him? More Maverickness? More change? She seems almost completely subsumed within his domain. Her tendencies (outside the executive, if you will) are right in line with Mc. Outside the gender and age, what gives?

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 5:25 PM

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 5:25 PM

every administration or ticket has chinks in its armor…one thing she can say that none of the other three can is “I had executive oversight for this budget and had to decide what to fight next round.”

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 5:27 PM

sven10077 on August 30, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Yes but that obscures the fact that we had other more qualified people out there that could shore that up.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 5:29 PM

I think Palin brings real change to the GOP which will come in handy when Juan McShame’s diaper needs changing! However, I don’t think she should have to clean his false teeth. His wife (the c%!@) should still handle that chore.

DanKenton on August 30, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 5:25 PM

That is one thing I worry about. The focus of the Obama/Biden campaign is change with regards to the economy and painting McCain as just more of the same with regards to failed GOP economic policies. I think this has rung true with most of the electorate, especially since they were thinking that anyway. I can’t tell you how many in my circle simply tell me they want change from the GOP economic policies.

McCain’s biggest weakness all along has been on the economy. Now it is the #1 issue in this campaign, so he is left struggling. He and Palin better have a good strategy to counter the attacks from the Obama campaign about the economy. Especially since I believe there is plenty of footage from the Primaries of his opponents attacking him on lack of economic knowledge. That’s all that the Obama campaign has to do is bring out that footage and attack McCain with the words of his fellow Republicans.

We’ll see how the campaign strategy works on this. But it is a big worry of mine. If Obama sticks with his strength, talking to the American people about how the GOP has ruined the economy over the past 8 years (even though they haven’t) and it’s time for a change to put Democrats in charge of it, I’m not sure how McCain counters that.

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Branch Rickey on August 30, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Are you qouting the voices in your head?

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Our first black president beat us down with “it’s the economy stupid” rhetoric. What’s to stop the next black candidate from dusting off that tired meme? The pep rally was good and all, but now Mc has some bidness to take care of.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Honestly, and I’m not trying to be smug, I only vaguely recognize Heather’s name. Laura Ingraham, on the other hand, is a conservative voice that I love and respect and listen to for 15 hours each week.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 5:49 PM

No doubt you think a return to the halcyon days of Soviet Socialism is the cure… DrSteve on August 30, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Shhhhhhh, Dr. Steve. If she hears “halcyon” she’s gonna ask for a prescription.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Go here and do a find on “blackberry”.

What an image!

Pianobuff on August 30, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Thank you.
Those pics of Trig brought tears to my eyes.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Are you qouting the voices in your head?

The Race Card on August 30, 2008 at 5:37 PM

No, TRC, I use logic and reason. You?

Branch Rickey on August 30, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 5:33 PM

This is why I like to call you “Doofus in MI” because if you start out on defense against a weakling ticket like O’Biden then you go no where and accept their premise.

However, if you start on out on Offense with a strong governor from an energy state then you can go forward, Doofus.

Branch Rickey on August 30, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Michael in MI on August 30, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Branch Rickey on August 30, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Yeah, thank goodness we’re countering their weaklings with our own version. Love me some second-stringers. Thanks again New Hampshire, Iowa, et. al.

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 6:14 PM

NONE of them have won (I’m a chick). So, get over yourself.

Branch Rickey on August 30, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Now that’s hot.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Sorry AP (and Heather). I am an avowed sexist, and a proud sexist. There are real differences in the sexes–which I refuse to ignore.

Nevertheless, my sexism is not the basis of my enthusiasm for Palin. Among all the possibilities that McCain and co floated she is the most conservative. Why shouldn’t I appreciate that?

urbancenturion on August 30, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Exactly right.

Buy Danish on August 30, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Contrast Obama’s Thursday night’s acceptance speech with Palin’s acceptance. Obama promised what he would do and Palin stated what she has done. From her experience in High School as a point guard (who’s job is to find a way to succeed utlizing the strengths of your teammates and expointing your aponnents weaknesses) to PTA,k city council, Mayor, State Commissioner, to Governor, she has accualy DONE things and MADE THINGS HAPPEN. Obama is still talking about what he wants to do. What she has done shows what she can and will do, that is true experience.

jerseyman on August 30, 2008 at 7:43 PM

This really throws HIllary out of the loop. If Obama wins she has to wait until 2016. If McCain wins she has to run against a front running 4 year woman VP in 2012. Not exactly what she was expecting last Wed/Thurs.

jerseyman on August 30, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Cold Steel on August 30, 2008 at 5:39 PM

McCain and Palin have already stated where they are going: cut taxes, cut corruption, cut wasteful spending and drill – drill – drill. And they actually have a record showing their commitment and success. With Palin leading the way.

jerseyman on August 30, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Heather MacDonald: Thanks for destroying the GOP with identity politics, McCain

No. sorry. It was ruined well before that. Go back and watch the 2008 GOP presidential primaries.

apacalyps on August 30, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Hmmm… I’ll keep quiet on this one. I can hit pretty low below the belt about this fauxnalasys, so I’ll, as Hotair says, stay classy.

madmonkphotog on August 30, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Exactly when is it okay for Republicans to vote for women? Is there some rule here that Heather would like to share with the rest of us?

Is it all about identity politics? I don’t know, but it has been almost a century since women got the vote and this is the first time a woman has been on a Republican ticket. Is it supposed to stay that way forever?

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Terrye on August 30, 2008 at 8:27 PM

If we allow the left to define politics, then the answer is: never.

People view the world through the lens of their own minds.

But, it’s a two way lens. What they say about others says more about themselves than anything else.

TheCulturalist on August 30, 2008 at 8:39 PM

re:Immolate

Well, I’m glad to hear it. I’m telling you, this is not just a great pick, this Sarah Palin is a special person. We’re all about to find that out. She’s the real deal of what people were on about Obama: but she delivers upon her promise, where he has only the supposed presumption he will finally start doing something once he’s president: we have no actual deeds to go by, we’re just hoping. With Palin, you have actual accomplishments by which to judge her fitness. That’s where their “experience” argument falls flat. Sarah Palin is plenty experienced, and has actual accomplishments (vs. the failed “community organizer”).

docweasel on August 30, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Ok, I had a few glasses of wine and now I’m getting teary eyed at the picks of Palin feeding her baby. I’m such a sap.

SCGOPgirl on August 30, 2008 at 9:13 PM

umm pics not picks. Maybe that was too many glasses of wine…

SCGOPgirl on August 30, 2008 at 9:14 PM

SCGOPgirl on August 30, 2008 at 9:13 PM

umm pics not picks. Maybe that was too many glasses of wine…

SCGOPgirl on August 30, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Workin’ on my first glass of wine, and I still think that baby is absolutely gorgeous…

uncivilized on August 30, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Maybe that was too many glasses of wine…

SCGOPgirl on August 30, 2008 at 9:14 PM

no such thing

TheCulturalist on August 30, 2008 at 9:30 PM

No, TRC, I use logic and reason. You?

Branch Rickey on August 30, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Logic? Reason? What exactly do you do with it? Sounds useful but I’m very slow on the uptake. Please tell me more about this exciting discovery.

Can it be smoked, bottled, sold or otherwise commodified?

The Race Card on August 31, 2008 at 1:21 AM

My Palin video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvBbcFDPI0

D0WNT0WN on August 31, 2008 at 2:40 AM

The Race Card on August 31, 2008 at 1:21 AM

Hi there late night buddy! Glad to see you’re still commenting on this thread.

RushBaby on August 31, 2008 at 2:41 AM

uncivilized on August 30, 2008 at 9:26 PM

The baby expresses the content of her character, and I don’t mean that as fawning. She has views and morals and she lives up to them. Her lack of apologies on the matter make her all the more refreshing.

BArry can double as a casio-GT 150 ‘Political Calculator’ and that is why there are so many “present” votes….how sad is it he barely qualified on getting enough votes in the US Senate to get any kind of rating from the ACU?

Sarah Palin gets more done by day 732 than Barry’s gotten done in a whole career…..

“BUT I WAS A COMMUNITY ORGANIZAER DAMNIT!”

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 3:15 AM

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 3:15 AM

Gosh Ward, weren’t you a little hard on the Barry tonight?

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 3:19 AM

Gosh Ward, weren’t you a little hard on the Barry tonight?

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 3:19 AM

Barry Doc Duvalier, Vitamin Water, and talking to my wife over Skype at 1250 get me wound up…..

*wink*

Barry: “I may not have foreign policy experience but I did stay once in a Madrassa Inn.”

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 3:36 AM

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 3:36 AM

my wife and i often have better conversations via cell than in person.

we have 2 young boys at home…

watch that vitamin water though, looooots of sugar in there.

i prefer brandy and diet soda.

sugar free baby, yeah!

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 3:40 AM

my wife and i often have better conversations via cell than in person.

we have 2 young boys at home…

watch that vitamin water though, looooots of sugar in there.

i prefer brandy and diet soda.

sugar free baby, yeah!

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 3:40 AM

Glad for your boys…I’ve cut the wine out of my diet.

I chatted with my wife on skype because she’s on an extended camping trip in Sadr City.

My wife loves Sarah Palin and always has….tough conservative woman who inspires a lot of female soldiers.

Good enough character endorsement for me.

*wink*

Take care of your boys I’ve seen the future of this country and it’s three feet tall.

all the best,
sven

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 3:51 AM

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 3:51 AM

thanks.

give your wife my regards.

my oldest is supposed to deploy over there early next year.

lots of great people on this board who i’m glad to know will be in his LZ.

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 3:59 AM

thanks.

give your wife my regards.

my oldest is supposed to deploy over there early next year.

lots of great people on this board who i’m glad to know will be in his LZ.

TheCulturalist on August 31, 2008 at 3:59 AM

No need to thank me…..this is an easy nation and people to want to defend and help my spouse to defend.

Your son is part of the greatest force in the world….

and together there is NOTHING that we cannot face.

sven10077 on August 31, 2008 at 4:44 AM

Meeeeoooooowww!

OK, I’ll call Heather MacDonald what she is, a back-biter who figures Sarah Palin has exceeded her station in life.

As a senior staff engineer in a major world-wide company I observed this in action. The worst MCPs in the world are women. I experienced this with women around the plant continually back-biting me. I’ve had other women tell me stories such as the executive at a publishing house who could not get her secretary to get her a key to the executive washroom. “You can use mine, honey.”

Heather, your behavior does not do you credit. Go crawl back to the secretarial pool where that behavior is common even though it does not belong there, either.

{^_^}

herself on August 31, 2008 at 5:46 AM

flyfisher on August 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Because, like Obama, Palin was a nationally unfamiliar figure who had some unique attributes that could generate buzz.

The other ladies were already branded. Obama and Palin were clean slates (nationally) and could be built rapidly into the image the handlers wanted

This was a major factor in the successful promotion of non-identity candidates Carter, Clinton and Bush Jr.

To succeed at this stategy, timing is everything. The public must be bushwhacked right when they are over fed with known candidates. The press must have spent its energy and in the lull, when everyone is getting their wind, fascinating new toy must be tossed into the mix.

This rejuvenates the press, who are suckers for bait, and makes the other candidates look shop-worn

I remember co–workers wondering who the heck is this Bill Clinton. One southern co-worker warned Clinton could be some trouble but he was called a sour grapes grouch for daring to rain on the parade.

The same game with Carter. Who is this guy? He looked young and fresh.

The same game with Bush. The delegation to persuade him to save America was the opening promo.

The scramble to uncover skeletons on a surprise candidate always looks mean spirited. It takes more than three months to sort the spin

entagor on August 31, 2008 at 12:27 PM

How dare this lady PRESUME to know why ANY other conservative, myself included, likes the Palin pick? I love the choice because she is an authentic Conservsative. The writer here is acting a bit like a Lib. PRESUMING to know WHY Conservatives do things.
Spare me!

Gatordoug on August 31, 2008 at 2:09 PM

How right you are, Gatordoug. Sorry, I jumped to bottom, having been out of contact for about 30 hours in order to make just one game of my 12 year old daughter’s soccer tournament. Had to let them go ahead while I stayed back for a son’s football game.

I bore with the personal info, because, in the end, it IS personal. Everytime my daughter tells me she wants to be the first woman president, I tell her she won’t be – because the US is better than that, and will elect a highly qualifed woman long before she reaches Constitutional age. I believe that. You know what Heather? Todd Palin on the ticket would have excited this Michigander if the Palin family’s political/professional roles had been reversed. A Caribou shooting, oil drilling, corrruption hunting, work where the money is without stepping over the line for college (beauty queen, anyone?), YOUNG conservative who may have never set foot in D.C. is what I have wanted as a running mate for McCain since the Shamnesty fiasco – and I didn’t even know it.

That same 12 year old girl was bounced on McCain’s knee when he was running in 2000. I REALLY like the guy’s politics – but for that one issue. What has depressed me about this race is the very simple fact that he is O-L-D. 2008 marks the first Presidential election where people who were old enough to be congitive on 9/11, but young enough to have their entire lives shaped by its impact are going to be voting.

I believe the youth vote promised so many decades ago will finally arrive this year. Youth is the true weapon Obama wields. These kids have never had a chance to find out what socialism yields in practical tests – they just see a young guy who must be able to relate to their world view better than the guy that was mentioned in the 3rd to last section of their high school U.S. history book.

Palin counters that youth with youth AND a personal appeal to millions of Americans. The rising star at my office who tells most that he is tired because he was out partying all night – then shows me the snapshots of the turkey he bagged at sunrise because he hiked 7 miles to the perfect spot. The CFO father of my son’s friend who paid for his college by working summers in the oil fields of Oklahoma. The millions of us who choose as comfort foods when we are under the weather: ramen noodles, rice, and macaroni and cheese – because in our bones we remember buying books, paying the rent and the utility bill with every penny we had.

We conservatives were looking for Hope, also. Hope that the message would not die with us (with apologies to the brilliant young writers and thinkers out there whose voices have yet to reach beyond the choir.)

TubbyHubby on August 31, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Heather, I admire your idealism. I really do. And I share these values 100%. But I have no interest in martyrdom for naught.

“…driven in large measure by the fact that the McCain camp has beaten the Democrats at their own game”? Indeed it is, so what’s wrong with that? You know and I know that Palin is a more a game-changer than a gimmick. Picking her is doing well by doing the right thing. We have beaten them at their own game at zero cost to our own! It gives me hope that we conservatives might be smart enough to win this struggle for the soul of America after all.

petefrt on August 31, 2008 at 9:42 PM