Video: Palin knocks Biden on drilling, ties it to national security

posted at 6:13 pm on August 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

And not just Biden either. Pay attention to what she says about Bush lacking a national energy policy and kowtowing to the Saudis to boost production, a line that’ll take a tiny bit of the sting out of the left’s “McSame” jabs. This’ll be her issue on the trail, for obvious reasons; presumably McCain will be having his duly appointed epiphany about ANWR any day now, since I cut about four minutes here of her explaining why people who wet themselves about the sainted caribou actually have no idea of what ANWR looks like and how little a threat drilling would pose to the environment. (You can watch the full interview at CNBC.) As predicted, the left is already pushing the line that she’s an ignoramus who’s on the ticket as an “affirmative action” pick, a policy to which the Democratic Party is now, suddenly and miraculously, opposed. See for yourself how ignorant she is. Exit question: Since it’s all about the second X chromosome, does anyone want to try arguing with a straight face that Kay Bailey Hutchison or Meg Whitman or Carly Fiorina would have provoked the sort of euphoria you’re seeing among conservatives today? The left’s right that someone here is treating all women as essentially fungible, but it ain’t John McCain.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Sarah Palin, you’re no Dan Quayle.

Palin is brilliant, but Quayle was no dummy.

jgapinoy on August 30, 2008 at 9:30 AM

It’s Marge Gunderson from Fargo, just hotter.

Potfry on August 30, 2008 at 9:40 AM

jgapinoy on August 30, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Yeah, but that’s not the point.

Quayle let himself get defined by his deer-in-the-headlights look when he was zinged by Lloyd Bentsen, and by the potatoe fiasco.

You just don’t see that happening to her. She’s a straight-shooter with a cool, and a presence about her.

Sarah ‘Cuda.

Tach it up, Joe.

Typhoon on August 30, 2008 at 10:05 AM

I hope she is schooling her running mate on all these excellent points.

Valiant on August 30, 2008 at 10:09 AM

By the way, why I love this pick over and above anything else is that to his immense credit, what McCain has done is put a face on the future of conservatism and the Republican party.

If he had picked Lieberman and gotten elected, just who would have been the heir-apparent?

And while I was prepared for, expected, and would have been happy enough with Mitt, he’s not nearly as energizing or as real or as compelling as Palin. I just never thought McCain had it in him to pick her. I’m just ecstatic that this voice of clear-eyed and concrete conservatism is now the future voice of my party.

Well done McCain.

Typhoon on August 30, 2008 at 10:13 AM

At the very least, this warrants the creation of an “I (heart) Baracuda” bumper sticker….CC CapedConservative on August 30, 2008 at 8:04 AM

How about this: I ♥ SARAH’CUDA

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 10:55 AM

sarah palin on Charlie Rose

jp on August 30, 2008 at 11:32 AM

jgapinoy,
“Palin is brilliant, but Quayle was no dummy.”

Yeah – Quayle was a victim of the liberal media. He is very intelligent.

exhelodrvr on August 30, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Ufta Matta!

A brilliant choice for VP. Speaking as a hockey dad, this hockey mom is just what we need on the ticket. Any hockey mom has her feet firmly planted…in skates going up the boards with the puck!

jbh45 on August 30, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I have discovered by my first Palin problem. Many conservatives will have an issue with this. I am interested to see what Palin has to say and how this will be addressed.

Virginia Shanahan on August 30, 2008 at 11:34 AM

How about this: I ♥ SARAH’CUDA

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 10:55 AM

I like that!

And I am so stealing it

darkpixel on August 30, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Valiant on August 30, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Well, her running mate’s prodigy, that little dog todger Lindsey Grahmnesty is doing his best to kill the GOP’s advantage on that issue in the Senate. Hard to believe he’d do that to McCain during an election year on a good issue..unless McCain is ok with it. I hope Sarah’s not going to be hung out to dry on this issue with the base.

austinnelly on August 30, 2008 at 11:39 AM

darkpixel on August 30, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Sweeeeeet. Run with it, Darkpixel. If anyone out there has any influence with Ed, see if we can’t get him to use this as a caption for a photo in one of his posts. I want this meme to start gaining traction.

I ♥ SARAH’CUDA

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 11:42 AM

The following is from a politico.com blog:

Whatever the official attack is, however, there’s a remarkable broadside under way against Palin in e-mails and comments and blogs attacking her character, her readiness and her family life; and more responsibly, and perhaps more dangerously, in the new liberal reporting apparatus, parts of which — notably Talking Points Memo — have already begun zeroing in on elements of her record in Alaska.

This is the Far-Leftist’s strategy. Good luck! They’re just digging a very deep hole…

DfDeportation on August 30, 2008 at 12:08 PM

I’m not wild about that tax increase, I hope she addresses that soon. Its amazing she said all of this on NBC with interviewer cutting her off.

womball on August 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Yep, I am offically in love!

And I want one of those bumper stickers!

conservnut on August 30, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Virginia Shanahan on August 30, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Obviously you are unaware of how that money is collected … According to the Alaskan State Constitution any and all natural resources are the property of the people of Alaska … it is not a tax but rather a revenue sharing requirement placed on the oil companies by the State Constitution …

This is no different than some of the plans being floated to give coastal states a portion of the profits of oil and gas off their shores in exchange for allowing drilling there … the exception being places like CA and FL will probably stick that money in the politicians pockets instead of returning it to the citizens …

DesertLover on August 30, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Sarahcuda! Awesome!!!

CapitalistPig on August 30, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Barracuda versus Barackuda!

Entelechy on August 30, 2008 at 1:48 PM

I like this bumper sticker better.

Send_Me on August 30, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Desertlover,

What you say makes sense, however, I do in fact have a problem with the principle of redistribution, and that is what she did. That is why I am looking for Palin to address this now, as opposed to later.

That aside, it was – to my knowledge- called a tax increase by Palin herself.

I am planning for an evacution and unable to look further into this issue for a few days. However, I hope someone with greater access than I will dig into it.

This is the only fatal flaw I can find with her. Being conservative to the core I have no doubt she can readily and easily explain this. I hope shes – within the next few days.

Virginia Shanahan on August 30, 2008 at 2:26 PM

I like this bumper sticker better.

Send_Me on August 30, 2008 at 2:03 PM

-1. Might as well be Barry/Biden ’08.

An t-Oibriche Criosdail on August 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM

She will eviscerate Biden. CSI will have to be called in to find whatever is left of him once the debate is over.

I had to laugh at the first question though. I would send a donation for $10,000 to the first politician who would simply come out and say “Screw the caribou!” Every last caribou in Alaska could drop dead tomorrow and we wouldn’t be any the worse for it. We wouldn’t even know it unless someone went out and looked for them.

Also, the notion that drilling is going to hurt the caribou or the polar bears or the yeti is just such patently absurd nonsense that it is impossible to even argue with it because there is no mechanism by which such a thing could occur. Even were it to be possible, you are talking about a tiny spot of land in the middle of a state 2.5 times as large as Texas. We build shopping malls every day that destroy more habitat than drilling in Alaska would destroy.

How do people ask these questions while keeping a straight face?

Ben Franklen on August 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Virginia Shanahan on August 30, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Pretty simple… the STATE owns the oil, not the oil companies. The deals are cut to give the oil companies a reasonable profit for bringing the oil out, and selling it.

As prices ROSE over the last year, the State got more and more revenue because those prices were higher, without the costs to the oil company for delivery going up…

Remember, this is not oil coming off of private property, but state owned property. They SHOULD take the majority of the profits.

I wish our Feds would do the same. Cut deals with companies where they keep costs and a reasonable profit, but any excess profit goes to the Government… becuase its OUR oil if its on publicly owned land.

Romeo13 on August 30, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Ben Franklen on August 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Key to that arguement is simple… On the North Slope of Alaska, where we’ve been drilling for decades, both Caribou and Polar populations are INCREASING!

Game, set, match.

Romeo13 on August 30, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Biden wrong 30 years ago and wrong today! HAHAHA!

Chakra Hammer on August 30, 2008 at 5:43 PM

That accent alone may win MinnesOta and WiscOnsin!

Harpoon on August 30, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Saracuda vs. Obambi – which one comes out of the room?

EyesOpen on August 30, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Saracuda vs. Obambi – which one comes out of the room? -EyesOpen on August 30, 2008 at 7:52 PM

SARAH’CUDA…of course.

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 11:01 PM

That accent alone may win MinnesOta and WiscOnsin!

Harpoon on August 30, 2008 at 7:28 PM

I’m from Wisconsin originally, and I predict it goes red this time around…the minute people get a look at her with that salmon, they are going to fall in love.

capitalist piglet on August 30, 2008 at 11:52 PM

Who is Sarah Palin?

Your worst nightmare if you’re a lib.

Mojave Mark on August 31, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Who is Sarah Palin?

Your worst nightmare if you’re a lib…PUNK!.

Mojave Mark on August 31, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Fixed.

fossten on August 31, 2008 at 1:16 AM

How about this: I ♥ SARAH’CUDA

ManlyRash on August 30, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Brilliant!

MsUnderestimated on August 31, 2008 at 1:53 AM

My Palin video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvBbcFDPI0

D0WNT0WN on August 31, 2008 at 2:38 AM

RE:Quayle

We must remember that he served as VP in the days before talk radio, Fox News and the Interweb. The picture of him that was portrayed by the MSM & Hollywood was the only picture that Americans ever saw. I think sometimes we forget what dark days those were for conservatives when the big 3 networks & CNN had so much control over how the nation percieved its leaders and their policies and personalities. Reagan managed to overcome it somewhat, but even he exists only as a media-created stereotype in the minds of many Americans.

RE:ANWR

McCain challenged Obama to go and visit Iraq because the war there is a defining issue of our time. In the same way Palin needs to challenge McCain to go and visit ANWR.

29Victor on August 31, 2008 at 4:34 AM

That video was wonderful.

Big Mountains, Big Fish, Big Bears, Big Hearts, Big Country, BIG VICTORY!

Sarah is America’s “Mommabear”. And Trig is “Littlebear”.

Sapwolf on August 31, 2008 at 6:39 AM

Democrats dont WANT low Oil prices.

Democrats don’t WANT people in Alaska to have JOBS that the oil projects will create.

Democrats don’t WANT people to make money to support themselves.

The animals were not affected by the Alaska Oil pipeline 30 years ago, and they wont be affected by anything else we do there.

Theres ZERO excuse to not to use the energy sources in Alaska.

tx2654 on August 31, 2008 at 8:44 AM

29Victor on August 31, 2008 at 4:34 AM

She should challenge obamassiah to join her on snow shoes to visit Anwar.

(I don’t have all those neat things on the top of this box to let me copy, paste, etc. I’m jealous)

Bambi on August 31, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Wow, she is impressive.

LagunaDave on August 31, 2008 at 7:27 PM

The Hope and No Change ticket does not have a prayer. Biden will get toasted by Palin and Obama is clueless anyway.

Brint it on Dim bulbs, you’re going down hard.

jdsmith0021 on August 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM

by the way, has anyone actually seen pictures of this PRISTINE nature preserve? If they have, they know it’s just a wasteland.

jdsmith0021 on August 31, 2008 at 9:53 PM

McCain is lucky she picked him!!

ultracon on August 31, 2008 at 11:55 PM

QUESTION:

Why is it that only left-wing extremists can divine what Caribou really want?? Are they claiming Dr Dolittle as one of their own?

landlines on September 1, 2008 at 2:13 AM

I am sooooooooooooo looking forward to the VP debate.
Biden is going to leave the stage with his crusty old tail between his legs…

stacman on September 1, 2008 at 2:56 AM

D0WNT0WN on August 31, 2008 at 2:38 AM

Downtown, that was an awesome vid! Thanks for the link to it.

TeeDee on September 6, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Thank goodness for this vid. After seeing all those campaign stumps repeating the same lines from the convention over and over again, I thought I would lose my mind. Hopefully a week from now she’ll have some fresher stuff, the speech quotes are really only effective in that setting.

BKennedy on September 7, 2008 at 12:48 AM