Breaking: Pawlenty — “I’m not going to Ohio”; Update: Palin’s spokesman says she’s in Alaska; Update: Or is she? Update: It’s Palin, says CNBC; Update: Chicago Tribune says Palin too; Update: Team McCain makes it official!

posted at 8:14 am on August 29, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Tim Pawlenty told local television/radio station WCCO that he will not be traveling to Ohio today.  Instead of being introduced as John McCain’s running mate, the Minnesota governor will attend the state fair as previously scheduled, and do his normal radio show from the fairgrounds:

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty told WCCO Radio Friday morning that he was not going to Ohio today.

The governor told WCCO Radio’s Eric Eskola that he will be at the Minnesota State Fair Friday, doing his radio show.

“You’re not going to be there so we can just say point-blank, you’re not the nominee?” Eskola asked Pawlenty.

“All I can say is that I’m not going to be there and I plan on being at the State Fair and so you can draw your conclusions from that,” Pawlenty said. “I just can’t comment further at this time.

Meanwhile, several e-mailers pointed to a flight plan for a private jet from Alaska to Ohio last night.  Was Sarah Palin on her way to appear with McCain?  (via Marc Ambinder)

Update (AP): Oh my. This’ll be quite a letdown if true. Little white lie to keep the secret going?

As vice presidential speculation swirls, Gov. Sarah Palin is watching the fireworks from her home in Wasilla, Alaska…

The Governor’s spokesperson, Sharon Leighow, tells ABC News she’s going to the State Fair in Anchorage, Alaska.

Update (Ed): What, is everyone going to a state fair today?  I’ll be at the same one Pawlenty’s at tonight … maybe I’m the running mate?

Update (AP): Via the boss, hmmmmmm:

According to Rich Bevis of B&B Aero, the fixed-based operator at Hook Field, the jet, a Gulfstream IV which has the flight range to fly from Alaska to Europe, landed at about 10:15 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 28.

Bevis said the woman “was a real close match to Palin” and added that the flight crew that’s based in the Seattle area was told to fly to Anchorage to pick up their party and fly to Middletown.

Imagine if it’s Rob Portman. Good lord.

Update (AP): No Joementum, says Politico. We’re rapidly running out of contenders here. We’ve got the Ohio boys, Portman and Kasich, and … who else is left? Hutchison was pretty emphatic about not being vetted. Meg Whitman or Fiorina?

I think it’s Palin. That spokesman’s quote is awfully weak.

Update (AP): Here’s a much more solid reason to think it’s not Palin. Would they be sniffing at her to reporters if she was the pick?

Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska? As reports circulated on television and cable networks on Friday morning that Senator John McCain might have selected Ms. Palin as his running mate, McCain advisers expressed bewilderment. One adviser said that while Mr. McCain thinks highly of Ms. Palin, who is opposed to abortion rights and would be welcomed by Christian conservatives, her less than two years in office would undercut one of the McCain campaign’s central criticisms of Senator Barack Obama — that he is too inexperienced to be commander-in-chief.

“While it’s a dramatic and interesting choice, it would make the argument he’s making difficult to make,” said one McCain adviser.

Update (AP): CNBC says it’s her. Why would they be the first to know? Because she has a good reputation with the network by dint of her frequent appearances on Larry Kudlow’s show. Wow.

Update (AP): Rob Schenck, president of the National Clergy Council, is also hearing from sources that she’s the pick. What an unbelievable head fake by McCain, perfectly executed to build suspense and knock The One off the front page this morning. Mind-blowing.

Update (AP): The Chicago Tribune becomes the first major paper to “confirm.” I’m woozy.

Update (Ed): Just got the announcement from Team McCain — it’s officially Palin:

U.S. Senator John McCain today announced that he has selected Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to be his running mate and to serve as his vice president.

Governor Palin is a tough executive who has demonstrated during her time in office that she is ready to be president. She has brought Republicans and Democrats together within her Administration and has a record of delivering on the change and reform that we need in Washington.

Governor Palin has challenged the influence of the big oil companies while fighting for the development of new energy resources. She leads a state that matters to every one of us – Alaska has significant energy resources and she has been a leader in the fight to make America energy independent.

In Alaska, Governor Palin challenged a corrupt system and passed a landmark ethics reform bill. She has actually used her veto and cut budgetary spending. She put a stop to the “bridge to nowhere” that would have cost taxpayers $400 million dollars.

As the head of Alaska’s National Guard and as the mother of a soldier herself, Governor Palin understands what it takes to lead our nation and she understands the importance of supporting our troops.

Governor Palin has the record of reform and bipartisanship that others can only speak of. Her experience in shaking up the status quo is exactly what is needed in Washington today.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 22

Good news…I think.

An t-Oibriche Criosdail on August 29, 2008 at 8:16 AM

Could it be….

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2008 at 8:16 AM

Be still my beating heart.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Sarah? Works for me.

Et tu Brute on August 29, 2008 at 8:18 AM

Dang! :)

I’m going to be on the road today but checking here every chance I get. Thank God for mobile browsers.

aikidoka on August 29, 2008 at 8:18 AM

Here’s hoping it is Sarah Palin.

From all I’ve read about her she would be an excellent choice and I would get behind McCain 100 percent.

nwsseeker on August 29, 2008 at 8:18 AM

There will be many kitten killed tonight if Mrs. Palin is selected.

Notorious GOP on August 29, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Drudge says Palin – just up now.

sachsen on August 29, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Im OK with Palin.

Joeyyy on August 29, 2008 at 8:19 AM

I’d be happy with Palin. But I saw somewhere that several of the people who were on the short list would appear at the speech so this doesn’t necessarily mean that Palin is the pick.

Kronos on August 29, 2008 at 8:20 AM

I read about it just a minute ago. I’m shocked…. McCain made a good choice?

Typhonsentra on August 29, 2008 at 8:20 AM

Just think: for the first time in our nation’e history we mayvery well have a P.I.L.F in the White House.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 8:22 AM

Sarah Palin would be a terrific choice for veep. I can imagine she could even be a swing choice for many bitter Hillary clingers to make the switch against Obama once and for all. Great choice if it ends up being true.

Jockolantern on August 29, 2008 at 8:22 AM

By the way, Drudge never even mentioned Palin in that article they posted. It’s not Palin. . . .yet.

Notorious GOP on August 29, 2008 at 8:22 AM

YESSSSS!!!!!!

This is hugh!

Mr Purple on August 29, 2008 at 8:23 AM

Yes! Here’s hoping :)

Fire up that base, John… let it be Palin.

beatcanvas on August 29, 2008 at 8:23 AM

Palin? Good choice. Maybe she could get McCain to change his mind on ANWAR.

guitarplayer on August 29, 2008 at 8:23 AM

P.I.L.F.

Heh

Cool

Biden will eat her alive in a debate though, and I mean Swallow. Her. Whole.

SlimyBill on August 29, 2008 at 8:23 AM

Hold off celebrating until after the announcement is made. But, if things are true, HELL YEAH!

Sakaki on August 29, 2008 at 8:23 AM

Palin? YES !!!

petefrt on August 29, 2008 at 8:24 AM

I had no intention of voting for McCain or Obamarrrrr (as Kennedy the Killer would say) but if it’s Sarah Palin, I vote for McCain.

President I’d Like to F***? I spit out coffee on that one.

RWLA on August 29, 2008 at 8:24 AM

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Mercy4Me on August 29, 2008 at 8:24 AM

If the anti-Palin buzz is any indication, then she’s the pick…oooooh! A scandal!

Connie on August 29, 2008 at 8:25 AM

I could do this.

If not teh Fred!

Teh Palin!

McCain / Palin ’08

tonylipsey on August 29, 2008 at 8:25 AM

Please let it be true.

Gracelynn on August 29, 2008 at 8:25 AM

i think i am in love with sarah

custer on August 29, 2008 at 8:25 AM

Okay, I’m ignorant.
What’s a P.I.L.F.?
Thank-see.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2008 at 8:25 AM

Palin’s a great choice. But I hope Mitt gets whatever post he wants in the McCain administration. He’s one good man.

Palin’s going to send a shock through Camp Obama. Her pick is a real game-changer.

petefrt on August 29, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Based solely on how well each candidate has handled the vp roll out, McCain wins the presidency hands down.

Complete7 on August 29, 2008 at 8:26 AM

I didn’t even think McCain was seriously considering her. She never was a surrogate for Team McCain. I will see it when I believe it.

terryannonline on August 29, 2008 at 8:27 AM

Biden will eat her alive in a debate though, and I mean Swallow. Her. Whole.

Maybe. Maybe not.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 8:27 AM

Biden will eat her alive in a debate though, and I mean Swallow. Her. Whole.

SlimyBill on August 29, 2008 at 8:23 AM

Joe Biden was horrible in the primary debate and he got a pathetically low amount of votes in Iowa. What makes you think that he’d do any better in the VP debate?

Kronos on August 29, 2008 at 8:27 AM

Drudge says Palin – just up now.

sachsen on August 29, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Niiiice badge! Still having misgivings about Palin though. I wonder, if he does pick her, what criteria he had in mind, at the same time.

An t-Oibriche Criosdail on August 29, 2008 at 8:27 AM

Bill Clinton was the first PILF, and he has a blue dress to prove it.

Ed Morrissey on August 29, 2008 at 8:27 AM

Okay, I’m ignorant. What’s a P.I.L.F.?

See: RWLA on August 29, 2008 at 8:24 AM

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 8:28 AM

McCain has done this really well no matter who it is. And the cast is also playing along wonderfully.

drjohn on August 29, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Agreed…ManlyRash…what kind of A*hole would mistreat her during a debate and still expect to collect a woman’s vote?

CapitalistPig on August 29, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Okay, I’m ignorant.
What’s a P.I.L.F.?
Thank-see.

President I’d Like to …. Well, just use your imagination.

Palin would be great choice for VP, and so would Romney.

I’m ok if its either of them.

If its Palin, expect a huge MSM backlash which will include the charge of “pandering to Hillary supporters and women in general”.

Samhain on August 29, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Okay, I’m ignorant.
What’s a P.I.L.F.?
Thank-see.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2008 at 8:25 AM

It’s crass and you don’t want to know.

Connie on August 29, 2008 at 8:28 AM

It’s not Palin.

It’s not Romney.

It’s not Huckabee.

It’s not Pawlenty.

Who the heck is it?

It better not be Colin Powell.

Or Lieberman ( both are pro abortion)

SaintOlaf on August 29, 2008 at 8:29 AM

FANTASTIC. I would LOVE Sarah Palin as a pick.

This would be most, most excellent.

flyawaybird on August 29, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Palin wasn’t my first choice, and I wonder how fast she can get through foreign policy briefing books (no one may watch the VP debates, but they do generate soundbites for ads).

That said, she brings the pro-life issue Obama is trying to duck back to front & center. Imagine the ads on the Infant Born Alive Bill in IL.

I’m juat glad this VP stuff is over, and the GOP team will still look better than Obama/Biden.

Wethal on August 29, 2008 at 8:29 AM

SaintOlaf on August 29, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Cantor was vetted.

Wethal on August 29, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Joe Scarborough said if it’s Palin that it would condescending to Hillary voters.

terryannonline on August 29, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Remember the clue, “IT’S A TRADITIONAL CHOICE.”

It’s in the tradition of JFK and Reagan. It’s the next most popular candidate. It’s Mitt Romney.

I think you can bet the farm on it. Your farm I mean, not my farm.

RBMN on August 29, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Oh no…

It better not be Condi…

SaintOlaf on August 29, 2008 at 8:30 AM

If things are right, I am going to be doing cartwheels through my hometown.

I’ll see if I can get them on video.

Sakaki on August 29, 2008 at 8:30 AM

CNN is saying 2 teens and a woman exited the flight from AK…that it was the most secretive flight the ground crew had ever handled…

CapitalistPig on August 29, 2008 at 8:31 AM

Cantor was vetted.

Wethal on August 29, 2008 at 8:29 AM

Yes, he was and he would be good also.

Connie on August 29, 2008 at 8:31 AM

Oh, And Fox has an urgent bulletin stating that Romney is also out.

Sakaki on August 29, 2008 at 8:31 AM

Bill Clinton was the first PILF, and he has a blue dress to prove it.

Given the genesis of my neologism, not entirely accruate, Ed.

Unless, of course, the acronym means President I‘d Like to Flog

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 8:31 AM

Biden will eat her alive in a debate though, and I mean Swallow. Her. Whole.

SlimyBill on August 29, 2008 at 8:23 AM

That’s possible. Still, she sounds more confident and less pleonastic than Pawlenty at times (who is, presumably, out of the running anyway).

An t-Oibriche Criosdail on August 29, 2008 at 8:32 AM

MSNBC is saying its Ridge.

Complete7 on August 29, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Joe Scarborough is a putz. Pay him no mind.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Who are these people who monitor flightplans?

Is this what they do when they’re not monitoring Secret Service sweeps? Some people have been watching too much 24.

That said the Ambinder piece is interesting. The link is here.

Think I’ve found me a new hobby!

EnglishMike on August 29, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Is Joe saying that Mr. McCain told Hillary supporters to “get over it?”

Notorious GOP on August 29, 2008 at 8:33 AM

I don’t have a good feeling about this.

BigD on August 29, 2008 at 8:33 AM

I just saw it.
PILF.
Of course-as a woman that thought would never occur to me.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2008 at 8:33 AM

I’m pleased. Kasich, Palin and Cantor were my favorites. Palin would make a difference right away. And no, Biden would not eat her alive in a debate. He’s not a particularly good debater.

forest on August 29, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Whoa! Are you guys trying to tell me one of my predictions was actually right?

Geez – When the Drudge poll didn’t even have her as a choice I figured I was wrong, again.

Anyway, if true it’s a great choice for a number of reasons.

Dorvillian on August 29, 2008 at 8:33 AM

MSNBC now reporting Romney won’t be at OH event today.

Down to…Palin, Cantor?

Wethal on August 29, 2008 at 8:34 AM

Down to

Romney
Palin
or a complete headfake?

It’s intrigueing, and look, it took Drudge not even 12 hours to drop the top story, The Deliverance of Last Night, to the bottom, and into fading away.

Now the real run towards the erection, or the election has begun.

Note that the former will apply to some from both parties, if it’s Palin.

Joe Scarborough is not the brightest in the world. He just appears bright in relationship to the company he keeps over there, terryann.

Entelechy on August 29, 2008 at 8:34 AM

Yay, the Beauty Pagent Winner with a degree in Journalism! Qualified to be VP!! Are you f*ing kidding me?

Poptech on August 29, 2008 at 8:35 AM

It’s crass and you don’t want to know.

Yes, it is crass and I apologize if it gave offense. I just couldn’t resist it.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 8:35 AM

It’s not Palin. For John McCain, that’s just out of character. He’s not dice roller when it comes to something like this. Palin is too untested.

RBMN on August 29, 2008 at 8:35 AM

Wethal on August 29, 2008 at 8:34 AM

FOX called that about half an hour ago…Get on FOX, man!

CapitalistPig on August 29, 2008 at 8:35 AM

Then who is left who was vetted? Cantor?

Was pro-choice Ridge vetted (hope not)?

Wethal on August 29, 2008 at 8:36 AM

If it’s not Romney, then it’s Ridge, and McCain went for level of trust above all else.

RBMN on August 29, 2008 at 8:37 AM

FOX called that about half an hour ago…Get on FOX, man lady!

CapitalistPig on August 29, 2008 at 8:35 AM

Wethal on August 29, 2008 at 8:37 AM

You can always vote for Messiah and Plugs. Now THERE’S a qualified team.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 8:37 AM

Poptech on August 29, 2008 at 8:35 AM

Right, because a beautiful woman can’t possibly be smart and/or qualified for a leadership position. There have been worse choices for VP than Palin.

Anna on August 29, 2008 at 8:37 AM

Ridge.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. And I live in PA.

Wethal on August 29, 2008 at 8:37 AM

Sarah Palin, B.A. Journalism – I am not f*ing kidding you.

Poptech on August 29, 2008 at 8:37 AM

…My apologies, ma’am…

CapitalistPig on August 29, 2008 at 8:37 AM

Samhain on August 29, 2008 at 8:28 AM

True and not without some merit. I do like Palin, talk about compelling American stories, she’s got one, but she’s not as experienced as I would like. I hope she’s up for all the derisive shrieks of “token” that are guaranteed to come her way.

I can see how this would be inspiring though. To women, sure, but also to proponents of drilling in ANWR.

Gilda on August 29, 2008 at 8:38 AM

Sarah Palin, B.A. Journalism – I am not f*ing kidding you.

Poptech on August 29, 2008 at 8:37 AM

So wasn’t Obama a sociology major? Or was that Michelle? Anyone know Biden’s major? Speech, maybe?

Wethal on August 29, 2008 at 8:38 AM

RBMN on August 29, 2008 at 8:35 AM

Sadly, you’re probably right. But for a brief hour and a half window in time can’t we hope he’ll pick a strong conservative and not somebody like Tom Ridge *shudder*

Kronos on August 29, 2008 at 8:38 AM

JINDAL FOR VP
Think of it. Bobby Jindal stays in New Orleans. Accepts the Veep slot and stays in La to take care of business.
JINDAL FOR VP

RobCon on August 29, 2008 at 8:39 AM

Now the real run towards the erection

Entelechy on August 29, 2008 at 8:34 AM

Whoa! You and I may be excited, but something tells me Chris Matthew won’t have any thrills running up his leg over this one.

I can’t wait to see the MSM try to bash her without looking like misogynistic jerks. It should be interesting.

forest on August 29, 2008 at 8:39 AM

RBMN on August 29, 2008 at 8:35 AM

I agree. Like I said I will believe it when I see it.

terryannonline on August 29, 2008 at 8:39 AM

With Palin he could deflate the evangelicals’ hatin’ on someone, and inflate males’ something else, not that most were for McCain already, but it would bring some more out into the “alive and vote” category.

McCain might be very smart on this one.

Note to the guys using profanity, even if it’s on your mind, er,… – it might be good for you right now, but she’d first have to be nominated, then win, and hopefully you won’t ruin her chances with your puerile lack of, er, control. Nothing wrong with her being good for your eyes, though. Alos, think of Michelle’s children.

Entelechy on August 29, 2008 at 8:39 AM

If it’s not Romney, it’s Ridge.

RBMN on August 29, 2008 at 8:39 AM

She’s more qualified to be President than Obama and she’s not running at the top of the ticket. After 4-8 years in the VP, she’ll make a fine President.

James on August 29, 2008 at 8:39 AM

Down to…Palin, Cantor?

Wethal on August 29, 2008 at 8:34 AM

Cantor was on Larry King last night saying it wasnt him.

William Amos on August 29, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Rove: “She’s a breath of fresh air!”

Connie on August 29, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Sarah Palin, B.A. Journalism – I am not f*ing kidding you.

I guess the 2+ years she spent as the chief executive of Alaska counts for nothing.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Gretchen Carlson on FNC is having a hissy-fit that McCain may have picked a woman.

I think they all know that if it’s a woman, it’s over for the big “O” (zero).

They’re already pouncing on her lack of experience. Two words: Barak Obama. (He has less experience and he’s on the TOP of their ticket.) Give me a break.

stenwin77 on August 29, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Rove is on FOX…talking great things about Palin. If Rove doesn’t know, call me a poop throwing monkey…Rove knows, man, Rove knows…

Also, look how fast the MSM has forgotten the Messiah’s speech….

CapitalistPig on August 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Watching Fox… Bob Beckle seems rather subdued

Ugly on August 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Cantor was on Larry King last night saying it wasnt him.

William Amos on August 29, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Palin? Ridge?

KBH wasn’t vetted.

Wethal on August 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Wethal on August 29, 2008 at 8:38 AM

Biden went to college? I thought he was workin’ class “scappy Joey Biden from Scranton” who distrusts his own wife because she has advanced degrees.

forest on August 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM

i like Palin but I’m still hoping for Cantor.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM

I’m thinking 4 years and then Palin vs Hildebeast in 2012 -an election that will separate the women from the harpies.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM

forest on August 29, 2008 at 8:39 AM

In a weird way, it might save Chris Matthews’ marriage, though I think his Kathleen wrote him off a while ago…not on paper.

Entelechy on August 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM

I’m perfectly fine with this selection. She’s smart, strong, and easy on the eyes… That’s a winning combination!

Nineball on August 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM

RBMN doesn’t know John McCain. Tom Ridge? WTF? Stop watching MSNBC, man.

Sakaki on August 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM

It’s Duncan Hunter! I just got the text message!

Nethicus on August 29, 2008 at 8:42 AM

Palin is less qualified than Obama. Obama at least has a law degree from Yale. This is insane.

Poptech on August 29, 2008 at 8:42 AM

RBMN on August 29, 2008 at 8:35 AM

I don’t understand these types of remarks. Isn’t she the Governor of Alaska? Isn’t that an executive position? Does McCain have any executive experience? I thought he was only a Senator.

dominigan on August 29, 2008 at 8:42 AM

forest on August 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM

You didn’t hear about his full scholarship and triple major in college? You won’t any more, because he dropped that fib.

Wethal on August 29, 2008 at 8:42 AM