Breaking: Pawlenty — “I’m not going to Ohio”; Update: Palin’s spokesman says she’s in Alaska; Update: Or is she? Update: It’s Palin, says CNBC; Update: Chicago Tribune says Palin too; Update: Team McCain makes it official!

posted at 8:14 am on August 29, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Tim Pawlenty told local television/radio station WCCO that he will not be traveling to Ohio today.  Instead of being introduced as John McCain’s running mate, the Minnesota governor will attend the state fair as previously scheduled, and do his normal radio show from the fairgrounds:

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty told WCCO Radio Friday morning that he was not going to Ohio today.

The governor told WCCO Radio’s Eric Eskola that he will be at the Minnesota State Fair Friday, doing his radio show.

“You’re not going to be there so we can just say point-blank, you’re not the nominee?” Eskola asked Pawlenty.

“All I can say is that I’m not going to be there and I plan on being at the State Fair and so you can draw your conclusions from that,” Pawlenty said. “I just can’t comment further at this time.

Meanwhile, several e-mailers pointed to a flight plan for a private jet from Alaska to Ohio last night.  Was Sarah Palin on her way to appear with McCain?  (via Marc Ambinder)

Update (AP): Oh my. This’ll be quite a letdown if true. Little white lie to keep the secret going?

As vice presidential speculation swirls, Gov. Sarah Palin is watching the fireworks from her home in Wasilla, Alaska…

The Governor’s spokesperson, Sharon Leighow, tells ABC News she’s going to the State Fair in Anchorage, Alaska.

Update (Ed): What, is everyone going to a state fair today?  I’ll be at the same one Pawlenty’s at tonight … maybe I’m the running mate?

Update (AP): Via the boss, hmmmmmm:

According to Rich Bevis of B&B Aero, the fixed-based operator at Hook Field, the jet, a Gulfstream IV which has the flight range to fly from Alaska to Europe, landed at about 10:15 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 28.

Bevis said the woman “was a real close match to Palin” and added that the flight crew that’s based in the Seattle area was told to fly to Anchorage to pick up their party and fly to Middletown.

Imagine if it’s Rob Portman. Good lord.

Update (AP): No Joementum, says Politico. We’re rapidly running out of contenders here. We’ve got the Ohio boys, Portman and Kasich, and … who else is left? Hutchison was pretty emphatic about not being vetted. Meg Whitman or Fiorina?

I think it’s Palin. That spokesman’s quote is awfully weak.

Update (AP): Here’s a much more solid reason to think it’s not Palin. Would they be sniffing at her to reporters if she was the pick?

Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska? As reports circulated on television and cable networks on Friday morning that Senator John McCain might have selected Ms. Palin as his running mate, McCain advisers expressed bewilderment. One adviser said that while Mr. McCain thinks highly of Ms. Palin, who is opposed to abortion rights and would be welcomed by Christian conservatives, her less than two years in office would undercut one of the McCain campaign’s central criticisms of Senator Barack Obama — that he is too inexperienced to be commander-in-chief.

“While it’s a dramatic and interesting choice, it would make the argument he’s making difficult to make,” said one McCain adviser.

Update (AP): CNBC says it’s her. Why would they be the first to know? Because she has a good reputation with the network by dint of her frequent appearances on Larry Kudlow’s show. Wow.

Update (AP): Rob Schenck, president of the National Clergy Council, is also hearing from sources that she’s the pick. What an unbelievable head fake by McCain, perfectly executed to build suspense and knock The One off the front page this morning. Mind-blowing.

Update (AP): The Chicago Tribune becomes the first major paper to “confirm.” I’m woozy.

Update (Ed): Just got the announcement from Team McCain — it’s officially Palin:

U.S. Senator John McCain today announced that he has selected Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to be his running mate and to serve as his vice president.

Governor Palin is a tough executive who has demonstrated during her time in office that she is ready to be president. She has brought Republicans and Democrats together within her Administration and has a record of delivering on the change and reform that we need in Washington.

Governor Palin has challenged the influence of the big oil companies while fighting for the development of new energy resources. She leads a state that matters to every one of us – Alaska has significant energy resources and she has been a leader in the fight to make America energy independent.

In Alaska, Governor Palin challenged a corrupt system and passed a landmark ethics reform bill. She has actually used her veto and cut budgetary spending. She put a stop to the “bridge to nowhere” that would have cost taxpayers $400 million dollars.

As the head of Alaska’s National Guard and as the mother of a soldier herself, Governor Palin understands what it takes to lead our nation and she understands the importance of supporting our troops.

Governor Palin has the record of reform and bipartisanship that others can only speak of. Her experience in shaking up the status quo is exactly what is needed in Washington today.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 20 21 22

The first idiot to say “She had Huckabee’s baby” is getting a smack.

marklmail on August 29, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Hmmm, marklmail … looks like you said it first.

:D

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Most awesome Palin Fact from over at Allahpundit:

Since Sarah Palin became governor of Alaska, their biggest export is wood.

Posted by: Stinky Esposito at August 29, 2008 05:12 PM (MMC8r)

Waterboy on August 29, 2008 at 5:14 PM

3,000 here we come! (in a while)

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Got the e-mail Rosmerta. I rewrote it slightly. “by executive order from Governor Palin.”

Cool? :-)

Ordinary1 on August 29, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Please oh management elite of Hot Air, what pray tell is the record number of comments in a HA thread?

As you command it, so it shall be done…

Waterboy on August 29, 2008 at 5:16 PM

To paraphrase Ross Perot: that sucking sound is the air leaving the Messiah’s campaign.

Dingbat63 on August 29, 2008 at 5:47 PM

And then some!

Palin-mania!

profitsbeard on August 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Doris Kearns Goodwin on MSNBC was saying how this was bad for McCain because Palin was inexperienced. The anchor asked “Isn’t that the problem for Obama too.”
She answers, “Well the difference is Obama’s been in the spotlight for two years and we’ve seen him in thousands of debates so we are ok with him.”
BWAHAHAHAH hunhnhnh BWAHAHAHAHA

Tony Soprano on August 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Tony Soprano at 5:54 PM-

In other words:

Obama has more experience being inexperienced.

profitsbeard on August 29, 2008 at 5:56 PM

The thread…she is dying.

Everyone, focus, and PUUUUUULLLLLLL

Waterboy on August 29, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Oh well, she’s done.

Don’t nobody post again. I am the last commentor. Yup, me. I say again, no further posts please or else I won’t be the last one…..

Waterboy on August 29, 2008 at 6:20 PM

What’s going on? Why such a long thread?

Akzed on August 29, 2008 at 6:20 PM

I’ll, uh, just lock up then?

Waterboy on August 29, 2008 at 6:20 PM

BWAHAHAHAH hunhnhnh BWAHAHAHAHA

Tony Soprano on August 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Classic so they latch on to his telepromter fu as though they are some kind of arbiters of worthiness while glossing over his 57 states, I’m in St. Louis er KC honey moments and Um-Fu when the prompter gods are sleepy…..?

*Awesome*

sven10077 on August 29, 2008 at 6:21 PM

…last post again. hee hee

Waterboy on August 29, 2008 at 6:30 PM

BWAHAHAHAH hunhnhnh BWAHAHAHAHA

Tony Soprano on August 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM

UnFingbelieveable. Speeches and debates count as “experience” now???

I’ve seen this on the lefty sites too- all without any sense of irony. They actually think this will neutralize the issue of Obama’s inexperience… yet they’re the first one’s to keep bringing up Palin’s lack of it.

If they want to compare the the experience of their Presidential candidate with our Vice Presidential candidate, I’m sure that’s a debate McCain would love to have.

What was the size of the town you were mayor of, Senator Obama? And the state you governed?

Hollowpoint on August 29, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Nancy Pelosi is infuriated I’m sure.

SouthernGent on August 29, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Who man, and McCain could debate Biden. Hey, can the campaigns agree to this? Would the Dems be stupid enough to accept?

Waterboy on August 29, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Mort Kondracke said it was “irresponsible”…lmao. I’ve never seen him scowl so much!

SouthernGent on August 29, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Ordinary 1

If I may, I think you should add a disclaimer along the lines of “Not an official site”, state clearly it’s all in fun, & provide links to her official site & McCain’s

Son of Sam Kinison on August 29, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Cool? :-)

Ordinary1 on August 29, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Way cool! Thanks.

If you don’t want to use the bin Laden one I will understand … could be a bit charged.

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 7:08 PM

This is the most excited I have ever seen this crowd. And I am here at work on my PC, way past quittin’ time on the Friday of a 3-day weekend, just because I can’t let it go.

Maverick, you’ve really done it. It’s yours to lose now.

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Rumor has it that some guy with a funny name gave a speech in Denver yesterday.

Yes, that wind we were all supposed to wait for to solve our energy problems has finally arrived… its the oxygen rushing out of the Obama campaign.

Adroit timing. Well played Mr. McCain… well played indeed.

Drunken Angry Clown on August 29, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Son of Sam Kinison on August 29, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Good idea. I’m still tweakin’! Keep sending the “facts.” I would like it to be voluminous!

Ordinary1 on August 29, 2008 at 7:12 PM

Ordinary 1

Son of Sam Kinison on August 29, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Sufficiently disclaimed. That oughtta fool ‘em

Ordinary1 on August 29, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Just wanted to jump in and say, “Woo Hoo!”

davidk on August 29, 2008 at 8:01 PM

My idiot family has gorged themselves on the Osama Obama Kool-Aid. Saying how good he looks, how smart he is, how articulate he is, and how unqualified Palin is.

It is pointless trying to tell them the facts, Libs like these are a lost cause.

I can barely hold down my dinner with these idiots.

How do you guys deal with liberal family members?

Mooseman on August 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM

How do you guys deal with liberal family members?

Mooseman on August 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM

It is difficult. My Dad is a democrat and hates Bush. We tend to try to avoid conversations of politics but it is very difficult during Meet the Press during Sunday breakfast.
I just tell him that when he passes away that I am going to get the inscription “He loved Dubya” on his headstone. That usually shuts him up.

carbon_footprint on August 29, 2008 at 8:27 PM

I like the female VP pick. I think it’ will help McCain win.

tx2654 on August 29, 2008 at 8:31 PM

carbon_footprint on August 29, 2008 at 8:27 PM

The worst thing is, my father was a campaign worker for Goldwater in 1964 and voted for Nixon twice. When he got old enough for Social Security, he took a sharp left turn.

I’ll have to threaten him with the headstone thing. Maybe it will keep him quiet. :-)

Have a great holiday weekend!

Mooseman on August 29, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Late to the party but wanted to say how very thrilled I am with McCain’s choice.

congratulations_universe on August 29, 2008 at 8:57 PM

ABSOLUTELY TRUE STORY:

I went out to lunch late this afternoon, and I overheard (couldn’t avoid it; they were standing right next to me and talking loudly):

“Thats a fine, saucy lookin’ filly.
I’ll bet she could win this race just standing still, looking like she does in that picture.”

My first thought was, of course, given the events of the day, that he was referring to Sarah Palin.

I later took a look at the newspaper he was pointing to, and it turned out to be a local horse entered in the upcoming “Worlds Richest Horse Race”, the All-American Futurity.

But I wasn’t at all embarrassed at my mistake. it was the most natural of assumptions.
———————————————
Later, at the barbershop, I regaled the guys with the story of Ms. Palin, and they were pretty enthused about her, and agreed with me that they didn’t think McCain had it in him to pick ANY sort of conservative, much less someone like her.

LegendHasIt on August 29, 2008 at 9:09 PM

Have a great holiday weekend!

Mooseman on August 29, 2008 at 8:52 PM

That is interesting. Have a great holiday weekend too!

carbon_footprint on August 29, 2008 at 9:12 PM

ABSOLUTELY TRUE STORY:

“Thats a fine, saucy lookin’ filly.

———————————————

LegendHasIt on August 29, 2008 at 9:09 PM

Great story LegendHasIt.

carbon_footprint on August 29, 2008 at 9:14 PM

How do you guys deal with liberal family members?

Mooseman on August 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Drink heavily and pretend they make sense.

But after 5 minutes I start to laugh at them as I dissect all their Liberal beliefs. After an hour my wife gives me “the look”- then more cocktails!

FiveWays on August 29, 2008 at 9:24 PM

How do you guys deal with liberal family members?

Mooseman on August 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Point to the picture on the front page of whitehouse.gov, and shout “SCOREBOARD” at them?

Just a suggestion, which might make dinner a tad uncomfortable … 8^)

GoHskrs on August 29, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Just stopped at the CNN site and read some comments regarding Hillary’s “congrats” statement to Palin. Pretty funny the left is pretty damn scared…they’re practically begging women not to vote for McCain/Palin….also saying if they do they’re idiots lol.

bagadeez04 on August 29, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Great story LegendHasIt.
carbon_footprint on August 29, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Thanks! I was hoping someone would enjoy it.

How do you guys deal with liberal family members?
Mooseman on August 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM

I don’t.

Had an Aunt and a girl cousin (who happened to be my favorite relative up until that time) who were ga-ga for Gore in 2000 (despite my setting them straight on the truth about him).

I haven’t spoken to or otherwise acknowledged the existence of my aunt since then, and didn’t speak to my cousin for a couple of years. The cousin has since seen that the Democrats are ruining the country, and has turned just as conservative as I am, so she has gotten back in my good graces.

Even my mother, in the depths of her Alzheimer’s has enough sense to be a pretty good conservative.

Fortunately the other few liberals in my family have been virtual strangers for decades and/or have shuffled off this mortal coil.

LegendHasIt on August 29, 2008 at 9:53 PM

And BTW, I refuse to comment on AP’s debbie downer post and add to its comment count. I would rather add to this one once again because I am stoked, the conservative movement has life and I am happy about politics for once in a long long time.

MechEng5by5 on August 29, 2008 at 10:09 PM

The laste minute pick-ness of her makes me hope that they thoroughly vetted her. Liberals are digging into the deep reaches of the intarweb to find something to crush her with.

I think she’s an awesome choice, and a tough woman who can easily learn fast. The campaign needs to start getting her out there into the press, doing speeches and interviews as fast and as often as possible before the liberals have a chance to define her.

Enoxo on August 29, 2008 at 10:17 PM

I have a cousin who sent me something about gore and I responded with something about Bush. She sent me back a horrible email (all caps) screaming at me. Not only did she send it to me, but to all the people I had sent it to. I have never heard from her since. And I haven’t written her since. So sad.
Some of the people were relatives that she had never met and never knew who they were. I was embarrassed for her. They couldn’t believe her email. It’s one thing to respond to me, but to people she didn’t know, that was too much.

Bambi on August 29, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Enoxo on August 29, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Al Gore couldn’t find an internet cord long enough to reach Alaska. By the time the mail sled gets back, she’ll be three months into her service.

Cold Steel on August 29, 2008 at 10:30 PM

Just bought 10 McCain/Palin bumper stickers. May get a yard sign later…lets show those mindless BHO minions that we can make a show of force too!

MechEng5by5 on August 29, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Luckily most of my co-workers are Conservative, I can freely express my opinions among friends. As an artist, it is hard finding other artists who share my views, there are a few. They just hide it better than I do….I think my NRA sticker on my camera bag gives it away. :-)

Mooseman on August 29, 2008 at 10:37 PM

I love the Dem’s meme that Palin is unqualified.

KEEP

IT

UP

Because everytime they say that, there’s a woman voter somewhere who is thinking: “those &#$@ are just saying that because she’s a woman.”

PackerBronco on August 29, 2008 at 11:10 PM

In addition to that, PackerBronco, someone out there is wondering … and what is Obama’s qualifications again????

wise_man on August 29, 2008 at 11:55 PM

Can’t wait for next weeks convention. AWESOME.

CapitalistPig on August 30, 2008 at 12:00 AM

McCain is one crafty old dog………….Way to go old timer!!!

McCain / Palin 08

omnipotent on August 30, 2008 at 1:23 AM

CapitalistPig on August 30, 2008 at 12:00 AM

LMAO.
(even though I hate the fact that he is the GOP nominee)

LegendHasIt on August 30, 2008 at 3:42 AM

Watching the Dayton event for the 39th, er, uh, 2nd time, I noticed something.

As the candidates were shaking hands and signing autographs afterwards, the youngest girl, Piper, had a made-for-TV moment that I hope lots of viewers caught. Palin is signing stuff, and Piper tugs on her Mom’s sleeve. Sarah is like, “you want to sign, too? OK.” She hands her the placard, which Piper carefully autographs and hands back to the guy.

Palin/Palin ’12

Mr. Wednesday Night on August 30, 2008 at 4:28 AM

Watching the Dayton event for the 39th, er, uh, 2nd time, I noticed something.

Palin/Palin ‘12

Mr. Wednesday Night on August 30, 2008 at 4:28 AM

I missed that. Awesome.
Had that been Barry’s little girl, he would have screamed: “No Sweetie, I’m the celebrity here. Behave or you will be punished with a baby!”

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2008 at 8:02 AM

My Palin video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvBbcFDPI0

D0WNT0WN on August 31, 2008 at 2:39 AM

@ Bambi on August 29, 2008 at 10:18 PM:

Heh!!! Ditto, that’s almost the exact same thing that happened to me. That was like 6 years ago in reaction to Iraq. Funny thing was, she’s German and I’m American and part of the conversation included her spouting off about fairytale ‘Bush lying-people dying’ and my responding that German Chancellor Schroeder abgelenkt-ed her and her band of nuts by stirring up anti-US sentiments to cover up his abject and absolut failure on Germany’s economy.

AH_C on August 31, 2008 at 1:25 PM

I love hearing the “inexperienced” crap from the Dhimmicrats.

So… you’ll be voting for McC then ’cause he’s more experienced. Right?

I have seen the future and its name is Sarah.

Mojave Mark on August 31, 2008 at 6:02 PM

So… you’ll be voting for McC then ’cause he’s more experienced. Right?

I have seen the future and its name is Sarah.

Mojave Mark on August 31, 2008 at 6:02 PM

This is better than Camelot – which is about how shoddy behavior brought down a kingdom.

This is an American story. This is a ticket of stories that beat the odds. From John McCain to Trig. Can Cindy McCain shoot, too?

mary jo on August 31, 2008 at 6:25 PM

AH_C:
I feel really bad about it. It was about that time for me too, and it was concerning the war.
My Mom and her’s were sisters. My father and her father were both union men. Mine was head of a union in Canada. I had been to many conventions with him and Mom and had really formed an idea of who these people were and are by the time I was 16. (I guess I’m mainly talking about the heads of the union)

My brother asked him why he didn’t write a book about his experiences, and he responded that he didn’t want either of us involved with a union. Neither of us has been.

Bambi on August 31, 2008 at 6:31 PM