Palin: Let’s shatter that glass ceiling that Hillary cracked; Update: Full video added

posted at 1:30 pm on August 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

The shameless yet thrilling Wolfsonesque crescendo from a momentous debut. Full video to follow. I’m pessimistic (as always) about the pick and will explain why in a post to follow, but I’m glad he chose her anyway. She’s irresistible, and in this year of all years we’ve got nothing to lose. Put the election on the table and roll the dice.

Don’t forget to show your gratitude to the man who made it possible. Thanks, Barry!

Update: Obama tries to manage the instant backfire from his campaign’s moronic attack this morning on her inexperience by congratulating her for busting barriers.

Update: Here’s the full video.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Off topic but Grue, you make me want to find a Zork emulator for my MacBook Pro.

*holds up her lantern*

Sarjex on August 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM

*Lurks*

Grue in the Attic on August 29, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Really entagor, Saint Mc, gives a hot damn for veterans…?
J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 3:11 PM

A buddy just reminded me of McCain browbeating a MIA mother to tears in a hearing

Thanks for keeping me straight

entagor on August 29, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Sarjex on August 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Hey Grue, maybe you can get out of the attic after all…?

All my best…!

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Is that how you got that terrible red rash, Manly…?

Er….Yeah. Your throat is a lot tighter than I figured.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Other fun part of this?

She was a UNION member… and her Husband is part of the Steelworkers Union…

Just how does the UNION spin supporting Obama, who has never worked a day in his life… vice UNION members?

Romeo13 on August 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Hey Grue, maybe you can get out of the attic after all…?

I’m wherever the lights are off. Attic’s just where my computer is. ;)

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on August 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Hey Grue, maybe you can get out of the attic after all…?

Sure…when you come out of the closet.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 5:51 PM

entagor on August 29, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Thank yourself for reading the Congressional Record, entagor.

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Thank yourself for reading the Congressional Record, entagor.

He said, flailing for straws. It’s over. J-Mac and the Babe are in. O-Man and Plugs are out. Get used to it. Or not.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Outstanding,Inspireing,and can Palin speak,WOW,
I’m actually misty watching that vid!

The RNC,are on fire,this election is smokin-hot!!

canopfor on August 29, 2008 at 5:58 PM

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Manly… my man, are you living by yourself or is you Mommy watching from the kitchen…?

Dude, you’re eminatating a very hostile red aura about your head …

Count to ten….
Ok…

No really, count to ten…
No, no…count to ten…

OK, I’ll get back to you.

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 6:04 PM

McCain actually did the smartest thing he could have.

PALIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A smile to last the whole Labor Day weekend.

profitsbeard on August 29, 2008 at 6:05 PM

OK, I’ll get back to you.

You do that. Preferably later…dude.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Grue in the Attic on August 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM

As an olde soldier, I can certainly appreciate that scenario…!

We always worked in the dark, if the situation allowed…!

Hang ten …or tough…!
Whatever…!

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 6:14 PM

I had hoped McCain would pick her or another WOMAN, for various reasons, but now that I’ve seen and heard her speak and learned of her achievements as well as her husband’s, I’m excited that he chose THIS woman. Her remarks about her husband and the success of their marriage will go far to garner support from the base. Her recent birthing of her youngest son and the enlistment into the Army Infantry of her eldest son make her the most relevant VP nominee possible, in my opinion. I can easily picture her as the vice president AND the commander in chief. Alaska will suffer the loss of a great governor, but they’re making one heck of a contribution to the nation. It’s a great day for America, Conservatism, AND the Republican Party.

I hold out hope that McCain will surprise us Conservatives as a president who has fun at kicking butt like Ronaldus Maximus did. His choice of Palin gives me more hope than anything else he’s done during this campaign or as a senator. His recent ad, congratulating Obama on his nomination, and Palin’s honorable mention of two Democrat women, for having ‘paved the way’ for her own candidacy were classy acts which will also go far to capture various constituencies. I hope anyway. At any rate… I’m proud of the McCain Campaign today. I believe Ronald Reagan would be pleased.

Rugged Individual on August 29, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Outstanding,Inspireing,and can Palin speak,WOW,
I’m actually misty watching that vid!

canopfor on August 29, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Me too, canopfor, and I love her … and yet … I don’t even want to say it on this fabulous day, but … (whispers):

She’s upholding a great ol’ Bush 43 tradition:

NUCULAR

(Rosmerta runs and hides)

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Game. Set. Match.

CSK on August 29, 2008 at 6:18 PM

I remember being told by some people on this site that Upchuckabee had already been picked. HA HA HA HA! This is soooo good it has to be bad for me.

The only thing that would have made this pick more fun is if the Huckster had been invited, introduced and then McCain said “I’d just like to make it clear to everyone – I’m not picking Mike Huckabee!!”

Mormon Doc on August 29, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 6:17 PM

“nuclear”… you’re just absolutely “too cute” Rosemerta…!

I see you, there…!

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Mormon Doc on August 29, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Shakespearian, student…?

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 6:28 PM

MSM is skipping “shatter” comment by Palin

Kaptain Amerika on August 29, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Her remarks about her husband and the success of their

This all is reminding me so much of that old Sidney Sheldon novel, Windmills of the Gods – the gorgeous, almost-too-good-to-be-true, down-to-earth talented mom is tapped to become ambassador to a key foreign nation and ends up saving the world. Or something like that.

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 6:35 PM

MSM is skipping “shatter” comment by Palin

Kaptain Amerika on August 29, 2008 at 6:34 PM

You expected any less?

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on August 29, 2008 at 6:37 PM

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Oh, I know! For eight years I’ve been like, Laura, couldn’t you take him aside and gently say “Honey, say it with me now … NOO – KLEE – ERRRR”

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 6:37 PM

“I’m pessimistic (as always) about the pick and will explain why in a post to follow”…Please, spare us. But, let me guess the jist of your dis-approval: she’s too conservative. I could expand, but that wouldn’t be nice. The good news is, the choice is made. Let’s stop whining like girlie men.
Mormon doc: “Upchuckabee”, that’s a prize-winner.

Christine on August 29, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Mormon doc: “Upchuckabee”, that’s a prize-winner.

Christine on August 29, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Awww, he’s got those great dimples. How can you hate him?

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 6:39 PM

You know it’s a good pick when the dems start bitching about it.

tbear44 on August 29, 2008 at 6:40 PM

“I don’t think any other pick could have excited the base the way this has either.” Spirit of 1776
Yes, yes, yes. If you’re not part of the base, then there’s just doom and gloom.

Christine on August 29, 2008 at 6:41 PM

I’m late coming in, but just watched the entire video – I had tears in my eyes! I couldn’t have been more proud of Palin, McCain and my Country! Of course, I’m a sap – I tear up at the playing of our National Anthem, on seeing soldiers coming home or just seeing the American Flag waving.

Neocon Peg on August 29, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Dear Rosmerta: He looks like Richard Nixon’s love child with Kevin Spacey. The sight of him makes me reach for the bucket the same way I did when i first laid eyes on BJ Clintoon.
I hope that answers your question. ;-D

Christine on August 29, 2008 at 6:44 PM

The Dems sure are prone to gaffes as pointed out above.

I think they’ve badly mishandled the women voters. Another example? I may be making too much of her comments on Fox today, but I think Geraldine Ferraro was genuinely touched by Governor Palin making the effort to acknowledge her historic run.

I rarely watch(ed) Hillary’s speeches. Has she ever acknowledged Ferraro in that way?

I thought I heard Ferraro say this (Palin’s remarks) was the first time another candidate had credited her with helping to pave the way for women in presidential politics. Is that true? I realize that Geraldine Ferraro isn’t exactly in the daily political landscape, but she is often used as kind of a “grande dame” of presidential politics so this may be of some help to McCain-Palin.

Y-not on August 29, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Ooooo! Tastes GOOOOD!

Hey Obama, tell your grandmother to bring the car around!

raypat on August 29, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Y-not on August 29, 2008 at 6:47 PM

I don’t know if it is true or not, but Ferraro probably thought, as I did, that it was a classy thing to do. Talk about reaching across the aisle! Palin is a class act!

Neocon Peg on August 29, 2008 at 6:52 PM

when i first laid eyes on BJ Clintoon.

Christine on August 29, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Oh gawd, Clintoon!

*joins Christine at the bucket*

*does not join Grue in eating*

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 6:54 PM

I remember Hillary giving Ferraro a shout-out – but then HRC was only a candidate to be a candidate.

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Is Rosmerta romancing the stone via Mary Ashley…?

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 6:56 PM

He looks like Richard Nixon’s love child with Kevin Spacey.

Christine, the Clinton reference distracted me, but now that I think about it – you’re exactly right!

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Well played, Maverick. Very well played.

It is a fine line that separates genius from madness.
- whomever

MB4 on August 29, 2008 at 6:58 PM

raypat-
Balls of Fury – funny movie! Irreverent.

“Underground world of competitive table tennis”.

I didn’t think I could vote for McCain unless he picked someone sensible for veep (like Romney). Palin is sensible, a great choice (and I thought she was off the table!). She’s a strong, sensible, conservative edition.

Well played McCain! Ball is in play. ;-)

linlithgow on August 29, 2008 at 6:59 PM

- Democrats banned voting their female candidate this year at their convention. Republican’s put a woman on their ticket.

- Democratic response is “she’s not qualified because she was mayor of a small town” Hmmm… Palin’s got 16 yrs. in politics vs. Obama’s 11. Most of her experience is executive experience, his is legislative. While she was mayor, he was a community organizer.

- Dems throw out that she is an “affirmative action” candidate. But, gee- I though 1. Obama supports affirmative actions and 2. Criticism of affirmative action was based on less qualified people getting a job based on race/ sex. So, Obama with LESS experience is supposed to be qualified for the top of the ticket, but a superior woman is not qualified to be at the bottom.

…priceless.

Damiano on August 29, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Is Rosmerta romancing the stone via Mary Ashley…?

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Oh, I’m not too serious, J. After all, in the book her husband is murdered because she doesn’t want to be ambassador and they want to shake up her life so she reconsiders. Shouldn’t be a problem here! :)

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Kondracke looks like he lost his best friend. Good lord he was sour today.

SouthernGent on August 29, 2008 at 7:03 PM

I tear up at the playing of our National Anthem

Neocon Peg on August 29, 2008 at 6:44 PM

You’ll love this then.

RushBaby on August 29, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Does anybody know Palin’s position on immigration issues?

Mark1971 on August 29, 2008 at 7:12 PM

Kondracke looks like he lost his best friend. Good lord he was sour today.

SouthernGent on August 29, 2008 at 7:03 PM

The MSNBC crew looked like they were going to die this morning.. LMAO.

Chakra Hammer on August 29, 2008 at 7:12 PM

Shouldn’t be a problem here! :) Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Me too… I’m just thinking of crossing paths in space and time.

We have never physically met, nevertheless…?

What’s your aura…?

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Kondracke looks like he lost his best friend. Good lord he was sour today.

SouthernGent on August 29, 2008 at 7:03 PM

Yeah, I was surprised how viscerally he reacted. I had had the impression that he had moved slightly to the right over the years, but today Juan Williams was more able to deliver some analysis than Kondracke. Bill Kristol was stoked though!

Has anyone seen Charles Krauthammer’s reaction?

Y-not on August 29, 2008 at 7:17 PM

This a stunning move by McCain. I didn’t know he had this much savoir faire… and do my eyes deceive me, or did he actually listen to his base for once? What an amazing contrast with the botched, weaksauce Obama vice-presidential nomination. I love how the Biden thing summed up everything wrong and scary about Obama in one perfect moment: it was arrogant and inconsiderate, with text messages sent out to the faithful at 3am; it was hollow, with the selection of a three-decade hack politician whose vaunted “foreign policy expertise” led him to suggest responding to 9/11 with a $200 million jizya payment to Iran; and it began with a bald-faced lie, as Biden looked reporters in the eye and declared “I’m not the guy.” If Obama became President, would he send out 3am text messages announcing our tax increases?

By contrast, McCain just blew Obama off the stage, in what should have been Obama’s “finest hour.” Does anyone remember a single thing the Empty Suit said in his silly, endless Greek temple oration last night? Some media bigshot supposedly said “everyone will remember where they were when Obama made his acceptance speech.” In six months, most people who remember it at all will say, “Oh, yeah, that was the night whatsisname gave that speed, right before Sarah Palin became vice president.”

And already the terrified Obamanoids are jamming rhetorical shotguns under their chins and pulling the trigger… I just can’t believe they were stupid enough to try the “not enough experience” thing at all. It’s the “global test” gaffe of this election cycle, and they coughed it up in a matter of hours. At least Kerry got to the first debate before he had voters rolling in the aisles laughing at him. What will be the next line of attack? Criticize Palin for insufficiently energetic support of infanticide? Try to find a gazebo in Alaska that looks worse than the one Obama blew a hundred grand on in Chicago? Will Obama stroll into an Alaskan bait & tackle shop, and ask if he can get him a huntin’ license? Will the Obama campaign throw gasoline on the PUMA fire by insinuating that executive office isn’t “woman’s work?” Or did they already try that? I haven’t checked the news in the last half hour…

I dub her Sarah “Checkmate” Palin. Welcome aboard, Slayer of Moose.

Doctor Zero on August 29, 2008 at 7:30 PM

GREAT GOING JOHN. It will be a first, a historical day when the first….woman….. is elected to the position of Vice President of the United States of America!

afotia on August 29, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Doctor Zero on August 29, 2008 at 7:30 PM

You are amazing.

RushBaby on August 29, 2008 at 7:35 PM

What’s your aura…?

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Funny you should ask. I actually had an aura photo taken once, just for curiosity’s sake, and it was mostly white – although my favorite color is actually a nice cheerful deep cherry red (NOT tomato).

Lessee, what else … I’m a Chinese zodiac Tiger and a Scorpio … once under hynosis recounted a long-ago past life as the wife of a poor Middle Eastern fisherman … Myers-Briggs type INFP … and I love me some Beatles, U2, and Beethoven. :D Sorry, AP & Ed, don’t mean to treat HA like that kind of hangout!

And I’m not as New Agey as I sound. Just believe there’s a lot more to God’s universe than meets the eye.

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Doctor Zero on August 29, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Doc, should I “take two aspirins and call you in the morning”…?

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 7:45 PM

You’ll love this then.

RushBaby on August 29, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Thanks RushBaby! Teared up again! I’m a Texan and love Texas Tech! My patriotism runs deep, as I am sure it does for all people who love this country.

Neocon Peg on August 29, 2008 at 7:55 PM

NOCULAR

Rosmerta on Aug 29,2008 at 6:17PM.

Rosemerta: He he,NOCULAR,SaraCuda is ARTICULATE!!

And yes,upholding ol’Bush 43,AMEN!

canopfor on August 29, 2008 at 7:58 PM

You’ll Love this then.

RushBaby on Aug 29,2008 at 7:10PM.

RushBaby: Outstanding,from you,as always.:):):).

canopfor on August 29, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Gosh that was great…!

I really liked the part when you wrote… (Rosmerta runs and hides)…

That was totally disarming…
Absolutely innocent and perfect…

Keep the “Company” in mind…!

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 8:06 PM

SHE IS GOING TO HAND BIDEN HIS ASS IN A HARDHAT – AND MOW OBAMA DOWN LIKE A GRASSWEED!!!

grtflmark on August 29, 2008 at 8:07 PM

LOL, J_Gocht! So I’m qualified to work for the CIA??

Actually had an interview with them in college, but it didn’t pan out. I don’t think I would have lasted there in any case!

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Neocon Peg on August 29, 2008 at 6:44 PM

I’m right there with you, Peg.

Glynn on August 29, 2008 at 8:13 PM

WOW! This girl’s got it.

I’m gettin’ out the checkbook now. I’ve been holding out on Johnny boy but now he’s gonna get some money from me.

Mojave Mark on August 29, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Outstanding choice….and I wouldn’t stew about garnering those lefty, staunch Hillary supporters so much, in that I suspect Sarah will pull in a large number of undecided left- and right-of-center soccer moms….like my Spousal Unit.

Patrick S on August 29, 2008 at 8:33 PM

Doc, should I “take two aspirins and call you in the morning”…?

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Actually, I prescribe two glasses of single-malt scotch for everything. It will either cure you, or make you forget what was wrong with you. Also, it goes down well with freshly-killed Alaskan moose, Chicago hack, or Delaware plagiarist. :)

Doctor Zero on August 29, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 8:09 PM

I donnoe…

You have to have a lotta mental and physical, personal energy still available and left to expend…

If all you want to do is grow hybrid flowers and tomatoes and paddle a kayak or canoe on a lazy river or bay…and blog on HA, your time is past…!

Misery actually luvs company…
Hey it works that way…!

Hoo aaH…!
Gotta, luv yah kiddo…!

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 8:43 PM

Did anyone notice that Palin is wearing a dress and NOT a pantsuit? In fact all the ladies are wearing dresses and NOT pantsuits. Isn’t that refreshing?

Maxx on August 29, 2008 at 8:48 PM

Doctor Zero on August 29, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Luved the recipe Doc, until you had to raise the political bar…!

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Maxx on August 29, 2008 at 8:48 PM

I luv “heels and skirts”…!

J_Gocht on August 29, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Accomplishment, not experience, is what really matters in qualification to lead. Just showing up for the job no matter how many years in office (or in Obama’s case, rarely showing up at all) doesn’t count in my opinion. In a very short time, Governor Palin took on unethical entrenched bureaucrats and politicians on behalf of the people…and won.

She hasn’t ignored the fact that leaders are there to serve the people. She embraces it.

blue sky on August 29, 2008 at 10:41 PM

4.29 a gallon, do you pay that much? 1200 is suppose to be for energy.. but you can’t tell people what to spend their money on. She and the legislature also will be stopping the gas tax for alaska for a year (8 cent decrease very soon) and is giving more incentives for families who are poor. This is a win win for everyone here in this State. As we are being punished living up here it seems and yet we have oil.

Sarah is a great Gov. I will miss her.

upinak on August 29, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Thanks for filling me in. Now I can enjoy this more knowing that I was simply ignorant. Sorry about the high gas prices. In Maryland were paying $3.40 now. In NY state where I visited 2 weekends ago it was 40 cents more.

shick on August 29, 2008 at 11:01 PM

She’s a good speaker, and, not only that it sounds sincere, not scripted like a democrat.

tx2654 on August 30, 2008 at 7:19 AM

This is gonna be it. The historic thread that I’ll remember as beloning nearly exclusively to the Hot Air platform.

I’ll remember that I saw this history, here.

In ten years, when they dig this sucker up, I’m hoping they see that I was here.

~ Chris Loves Beth ~