Juan Williams: McCain’s the real bipartisan deal

posted at 7:55 am on August 29, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Juan Williams sniffed at Barack Obama’s pretense of post-partisanship last night on Fox News. Williams called it “wishful thinking” and based on nothing but talk. Williams did note that one presidential candidate does have a record of taking risks to find bipartisan solutions — but it’s not the one who voted with his party’s leadership 97% of the time:

In fact, does anyone know where this notion of Barack Obama as a great post-partisan healer arose?  In his brief stroll across the political stage, Obama has never taken a risk by standing up to the vested interests of his party or the Chicago political machine.  He has done nothing to press the unions, lawyers, abortion lobby, or any of the other struts in the Democratic Party for moderation or reform.

The only moderation Obama has ever demonstrated is with his rhetoric.

People are indeed unhappy with the poisonous partisanship that has infected Washington DC in the post-Watergate era.  However, if they want someone who has tried, for better or worse, to lessen it, then their rational choice would be John McCain, and not someone who has never had the nerve to stand up to his own party’s leadership.

Comments

Maverick!

tigerinexile on August 29, 2008 at 7:59 AM

Well said.

coastiehooligan on August 29, 2008 at 8:04 AM

Come on now, Barack Obama is very much post-partisan and a uniter. He’ll work with everyone from the hard left all the way to liberal Democrats.

rbj on August 29, 2008 at 8:04 AM

Precisely! We need a few ads telling people that McCain is has a real record of bipartisanship (often to our chagrin here on the right!). Obama has done nothing – zero – to prove he is anything but the most reliable liberal vote in the Senate.

zmrzlina on August 29, 2008 at 8:05 AM

It doesn’t matter, since millions of very stupid voters are going to enjoy being lied to and will help flush this great country down the toilet.

TexasJew on August 29, 2008 at 8:05 AM

In fact, he has always cozied up to them. And in the next three weeks there will be a sh!tstorm of controversy as more Americans learn that Barry O was chummy with an unrepentant domestic terrorist.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 8:05 AM

I’m sure Emil Jones would know what to call Juan Williams.

DelD on August 29, 2008 at 8:05 AM

The left will point to the Obama-Lugar nuke proliferation bill. I’ll be honest: aside from “What, only ONE time?”, I don’t know what else to say to that.

crushliberalism on August 29, 2008 at 8:06 AM

Maybe if Obama had a voting record there would be something to talk about…

darkpixel on August 29, 2008 at 8:07 AM

I guess all those smacks upside the head by Brit Hume finally made an impression on ol’ Juan.

DoctorDentons on August 29, 2008 at 8:07 AM

Were there no Internet or talk radio today I’d be inclined to agree. Be of good cheer…the alternate media is working hard to do what the Drive By Media has long since ceased to do.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 8:08 AM

Seriously, Juan Williams?

No wonder FOX beats the stuffing out of ABC, PMS-DNC, DNC, and ( [)]NN.

BKennedy on August 29, 2008 at 8:09 AM

Wow! I rarely find myself agreeing with Williams.

guitarplayer on August 29, 2008 at 8:10 AM

I like Williams. I disagree with him sometimes, but he at least makes sense when he talks.

forest on August 29, 2008 at 8:10 AM

What’s up with Juan Williams? He’s not towing the dim bulbs line anymore. Good for him, at least he can see through the BS

jdsmith0021 on August 29, 2008 at 8:10 AM

Juan is coming to his senses?

grapeknutz on August 29, 2008 at 8:10 AM

Let’s see, John McCain is considered a Maverick in the Republican Party,
This election would already be in the bag if John McCain has the Conservatives backing him 100%, Hillary Clinton was doing Vodka Shots with him a year or so back, John Kerry considered him as a running mate, He just about got ran out of Washington in a Tar and Feather suit because of his Immigration Reform ” SHAMNISTY “.
I’m going to step out on a log here and say, ( IF THE DEMOCRATS CAN’T GET ALONG WITH JOHN McCAIN, IT’S THEIR FAULT ).
And by saying that, I’m sure most Conservatives will agree, John McCain is not a Conservative, He’s not even our candidate, but he’s the best we got right now.

Delta Wild Man on August 29, 2008 at 8:11 AM

Kudos to Jaun for telling like it is.

The speech last night was a far cry from anything remotely resembling bi-partisan unity. The real message was one of blame America first, and for everything that goes wrong in your life, and the world… and only he can take us to the promised land of Shangi-La… where there will be no taxes, no medical bills, no college tuition, and everyone will live long and prosper.

Beam me up, there was no intelligent life down there.

singlemalt_18 on August 29, 2008 at 8:11 AM

Juan’s on the wrong side of the fence, but is right on this point.

He’s been critial of Hussein since I can remember, which is a good thing.

madmonkphotog on August 29, 2008 at 8:11 AM

Like I said before, it came from Soros, Kerry and Gore. They created the disease (BDS), then offered a cure.

Connie on August 29, 2008 at 8:15 AM

Juan Williams is one of the last of his kind, a person on the left that actually uses his brain for true “liberal” thinking rather than drowning in the left wing myopia. I don’t always agree with him but it does seem he is an honest broker, unlike the fascists at msnbc

stu.b.con on August 29, 2008 at 8:17 AM

This is not the Juan Williams That I know!! Might look like him, but dont’t think like the NPR Juan Williams I know.

Da_Hutt on August 29, 2008 at 8:18 AM

“The only moderation Obama has ever demonstrated is with his rhetoric.”

Really Ed? I thought last nights “coronation” was nothing short of unmoderated rhetorical demagoguery. Or was that meant to be snark?

Rovin on August 29, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Juan Williams is very much a liberal but he is also very much a professional and has chosen not to be a typical media tool for the Democrats. He has demonstrated many times that he is his own man.

BigD on August 29, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Fox News is reporting Palenty and Romney are out.

Rovin on August 29, 2008 at 8:20 AM

What does Palin bring that Biden doesn’t…besides being a woman.

tomas on August 29, 2008 at 8:21 AM

What does Palin bring that Biden doesn’t…besides being a woman.

Conservatism – something even Maverick can use a dose of.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 8:25 AM

I was amazed at how easily Bill Kristol was swayed by the Nuremberg Rally. Sorry- but this “rock concert” will NOT translate well to Blue-collar America. Mark my words, they don’t like to be over-sold on force-fed Hollywood hype.

FiveWays on August 29, 2008 at 8:26 AM

In a debate…what has she done. She hasn’t been a governor that long. I like her, but I don’t know if she is ready. We need to win…they can’t control everything…2012 won’t matter.

tomas on August 29, 2008 at 8:27 AM

I hate bipartisanship. It only means we compromise, lose, and then the donks make fun of us for it. Look how hard Bush tried to reach across the aisle and how the democratic leadership and donks in general treated him like crap for it.

Blake on August 29, 2008 at 8:27 AM

Hasn’t Juan Williams been down on Obama from the start? I think he was a Clinton gal. Not that he isn’t right here, but I don’t think it’s on account of some bedrock reasonableness on his part.

S. Weasel on August 29, 2008 at 8:30 AM

A Palin pick will be brilliant- Bob Beckle just stuttered the Dems criticism of her “What is her experience?” And THAT blows the door WIDE open for the rebuttal: “What’s OBAMA’S experience?” Do the Dems really want to open up and adavance that debate? Don’t think so. Brilliant move!

FiveWays on August 29, 2008 at 8:30 AM

Fudge bipartisanship, the whole reason the republicans are in so much trouble this year and lost in 2006 was that they compromised with democrats too much and got nothing done.

Kronos on August 29, 2008 at 8:31 AM

“…does anyone know where this notion of Barack Obama as a great post-partisan healer arose?” – from the Obama campaign going after low information voters. He was crucified for his tack to the center so a safer strategy strategy is to lie about his track record knowing the MSM isn’t going to challenge and the low information voter will take it at face value.

EyesOpen on August 29, 2008 at 8:31 AM

amen he’s “the real bi-partisan deal’…..

God knows I’ve thrown enough verbal daggers at the little SOB over the years for MAVERICK!*

**when I say MAVERICK! I have this mental image of him going Queeg flying his A-4 trying to buzz the tower ala TopGun but flaming out and planting the scooter instead….in a metaphorical sense him always walking away from the flaming tower while the dying CAG is yelling “MAVERICK!” with his last breath is a metaphor for Juan’s ability to foster party unity…..

sven10077 on August 29, 2008 at 8:36 AM

Ferraro is a woman…I still think we are looking at lieberman

tomas on August 29, 2008 at 8:36 AM

TexasJew on August 29, 2008 at 8:05 AM

I understand your line of thinking here, and feel your frustration. However, when I put my emotions and frustrations aside, I must have more trust and faith in the American people. Republicans lost both houses in 06 because of their own bad behavior; selfishness, corruption, lacking in principled behavior, spending our money like drunken Liberals, expanding governments role in civilian life; the list is long… If voters allowed Republicans to behave just like Democrats, we would truly be doomed within a few generations. The balance must remain consistent; Liberals have moved the Democrat Party way to the left (socialism), while Republicans suddenly found themselves being dragged along for the ride despite having control of all three houses. Bush has been steady and strong on the war and protecting the American homeland. However, Bush expanded the government and spent our money like a radical Liberal. Republicans deserved to get thrown out on their asses; had to happen if we are to maintain that most critical balance between the (2) parties. Hopefully Republicans have learned something over the past few years, and hopefully the country has been reminded of the insanity that comes with Democrats. A simple look at Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid leaves most folks sick in their stomachs.

Keemo on August 29, 2008 at 8:44 AM

I’ll explain this, to those who cannot speak Democrat.

bipartisan, adj:

Working together with the opposite party against Bush

Seixon on August 29, 2008 at 8:46 AM

Juan Williams proves that just because the color of your skin is black that you are not naturally a racist. Of course both races will call him an Uncle Tom for being independent, but that is what gives his statement more meaning. I respect his honesty and demean the bomb throwers who will denigrate him for it.

volsense on August 29, 2008 at 8:48 AM

Juan Williams has always been reasonable, as least for a Democrat. If anyone is so surprised by Juan’s assertion about bipartisanship, you haven’t been paying attention.

He reminds me of what Alan Colmes used to be…a dedicated liberal who didn’t drink the Flavor-Aid (I’m making the cliche more historically accurate). But a few years ago Colmes became little more than an annoying parrot for the left. Sure, more liberals like him, but he blew any chance of reaching conservatives like me.

ynot4tony2 on August 29, 2008 at 8:49 AM

“In fact, does anyone know where this notion of Barack Obama as a great post-partisan healer arose?”

Like most of what the left believes, it just “is”.

The debate is over. The debate is a distraction.

Accept what Democrats tell you about themselves and STFU.

Just ask the media, it’s what they do.

NoDonkey on August 29, 2008 at 8:53 AM

I have to confess that over the last few months I’ve been more and more impressed by Juan Williams, both by his sharpness and his courage. That man has displayed a lot of guts by taking the positions he’s lately held, and I’m sure he’s taking a lot of heat about them. Good for you, Juan.

bofh on August 29, 2008 at 9:07 AM

What does Palin bring that Biden doesn’t…besides being a woman.

tomas on August 29, 2008 at 8:21 AM

Conservative (possibly more so even than McCain), well spoken, smart as a whip, young and energetic, photogenic like Obama but with more executive experience, TOTALLY pro-life….

Shall I go on? Biden looks pretty beat here.

inviolet on August 29, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Juan will need to request secret service protection if he continues speaking out.

txsurveyor on August 29, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Hold my cigar, I gotta give this guy a choke-hold he’ll never forget…

DfDeportation on August 29, 2008 at 9:30 AM

Juan never drank the Barry koolaid. He has been a Hillary supporter from the get-go.

He and Pat Cadell are the best Democratic strategist/speakers on the air today. They are reasonable, not irrational. They defend the party line well, but do not have to turn around, bend over and twist themselves into knots, like Bob Beckel, to do it!

JAM on August 29, 2008 at 9:33 AM

That McCain voted 90% with his party and Obama 97% is entirely irrelevant in the discussion of bipartisanship. The true measure of working with the enemy certainly isn’t voting 50% with the other side of the aisle.

Dave Rywall on August 29, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Juan like Howard Kurtz and the WaPo editorial staff are dependable liberals, but they are professionals. They have their biases, but they are willing to call the Democrats on particularly bold lies and BS

Unlike the NYT, which is a PAC of the DNC

Pinch is running a Not-for-profit up in NYC. The SEC hasn’t been told yet, but the IRS sure knows they aren’t tryng to make money very hard.

the drill sgt on August 29, 2008 at 10:09 AM

bofh on August 29, 2008 at 9:07 AM

I agree that Juan has been spot-on in terms of seeing through the Uhhbamerr smoke-screens and obfuscations. I think he was more in favor of the Glacier in Pantsuits but wasn’t even that shrill in that direction either. He was also very eloquent in his tributes to Tony Snow. So yeah, I’ve gone from being a Juan detractor to somebody who generally agrees with what he says; and considers what he says even when I don’t agree with him.

Captain Hate on August 29, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Come on now. Who else could help Ted Kennedy and Bernie Sanders find common ground?

vitocorleone99 on August 29, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Williams is a very thoughtful analyst. There are facts, and logic, behind what he says, even if you don’t always agree with the conclusion he comes to.

exhelodrvr on August 29, 2008 at 11:44 AM

ynot4tony2,
“But a few years ago Colmes became little more than an annoying parrot for the left. ”

I suspect that was because they thought they needed that for the show.

exhelodrvr on August 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM

tomas on August 29, 2008 at 8:27 AM

She has been a governor and made real change and reform in alaska…Obama did nothing with his 7 years in illinois and when he became senator he has still done nothing…i think its a great choice

SoCalInfidel on August 29, 2008 at 1:32 PM