Ferraro: Palin a “historic” choice for McCain

posted at 2:00 pm on August 29, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

How does the first female VP candidate feel about the second? Geraldine Ferraro says that many women feel disaffected by the way Hillary Clinton got treated by the Democratic Party and the media — and they will appreciate an opportunity to support a historic ticket:

Sarah Palin made explicit reference to Hillary Clinton’s remark about “18 million cracks in the glass ceiling”, an overt reference to the historic opportunity for women in this campaign. Will that convince some of Hillary’s supporters to cross party lines? A large number of them already seemed open to that possibility — and Palin certainly has Ferraro intrigued.

Ferraro’s comments point up another potential land mine for Barack Obama. The media may stoke all those leftover resentments if they try to hit Palin hard in the next few weeks, which may drive off even more women than otherwise.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Do keep in mind that Sarah Palin has a son in the Army, soon to go to Iraq. She wants success there.

She also is CIC of her state’s National Guard.

The biggest thing on her side is that she is a Republican rather than a Democrat, and Republicans always trounce Democrats on national security issues no matter what the Dems want everyone to think.

She’ll be fine. Keep in mind the foreign affairs ineptitude of the figurehead running for President on the Democrat side and Sarah Palin already looks miles better as a potential Commander-in-Chief.

Edouard on August 29, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Watch for Obama to pull a George McGovern/Tom Eagleton in the next few days or weeks. Dump Biden and then offer Hillary the VP slot.

coldwarrior on August 29, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Dumping Biden for Hillary would be Obama’s death-knell, or perhaps his second as I think this pick has all but sealed the deal, but changing his mind on his VP in that fashion would destroy his claim to Judgment. He also would then be the me-too candidate, following McCain’s lead rather than leading himself. It would destroy him.

The only way this humble observer/lurker can see them pull a switch off is if Biden blows another gasket, the man has had two aneurysms after all. I wouldn’t put it above them to fake it, and the McCain campaign should be gaming their response to a transparent mulligan of that nature.

To be honest, I kind of thought picking an old guy with that kind of medical history provided Obama an automatic painfree do-over option. Whether they were that clever or not, the option does exist.

Love having you back offering your insights to Ed’s readers, missed you during some hairy overseas action for awhile there!

Maquis on August 29, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Ferraro said (rightly) that Obama would not be where he is, were he not black. Does she think Palin would be where she is, were she not a woman?

Aeschylus on August 29, 2008 at 3:38 PM

I must admit, I want to hear how I can feel safe if she is President.

justdianne on August 29, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Easily done. First, POTUS does not carry a weapon or a badge. (S)He does not fly airplanes or drive tanks. (S)He does not search cars at the border.

POTUS pays a bunch a smart folks who are trained to do those things.

POTUS only makes decisions based on information that is provided by advisors. Should something terrible happen, the POTUS receives opinions and options on how to react, discusses various options of his/her own creation and receives input/comment on them.

No POTUS is smarter than the people who surround them. This is the real secret of the Office. Think of the circle of friends that McCain (or if need be, Palin) would pick, then think of the circle or friends Obama would pick.

Do you feel safe now? Do you feel safer now than you did BEFORE 9/11/01? Here’s the fact: We are never safe. If someone or some group decides to blow up an airliner, there’s nothing we can do to stop it. Unless, of course, they attempt to take the current security measures head-on in a game of chicken. No, they’ll most likely exploit a weakness and accomplish their goal. Is it harder now? Sure. Are we safe? No.

BobMbx on August 29, 2008 at 3:38 PM

To “JustDianne”: What if Governor Palin turns into America’s Margaret Thatcher? Thatcher was 54 years old when she became Prime Minister. If McCain serves two terms and Palin runs for President, she would be only two years younger than Thatcher was.

Steve Z on August 29, 2008 at 3:39 PM

I second BobMbx on the role of advisors to the President. McCain has been around long enough to know who knows what, and will probably surround himself with knowledgeable people. As long as nothing happens to McCain, Palin will have time to “learn the ropes” in areas where she lacks experience, and trust McCain’s advisors.

We need to remember their opponents. Obama runs on a slogan of “judgment to lead”, but how wise has his judgment been? Twenty years listening to Jeremiah Wright, launching his political career with a known terrorist, using money from a convicted felon to buy his house, refusing to support the Iraq troop surge even in hindsight, wanting to invade Pakistan? Besides, if McCain/Palin win, McCain will be making all the tough decisions, as long as he’s President.

Steve Z on August 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM

I like your name, xyzzy. Plugh.

I hope Palin turns out to be a good pick. I don’t think I would have picked her.

Andy in Colorado on August 29, 2008 at 3:56 PM

I think the criticism here is overstated.

Look at the WHOLE job of Vice President-

1. VP presides over the senate. She’s overqualified for that, given her experience. She is an executive, everyone else are legislators. Perfect fit.
2. Fill in if the President dies or is incapacitated. In US history, this has happened a total of 8 times in 232 years and 44 Presidents. In the slim chance that she would have to do this, she’s better qualified to be President than Barack Obama, by any measure.

She’s proven over 16 years that she can blow the doors off of positions that critics would say that she’s unqualified for. She’s won hard races, racked up huge achievements and maintained and 80-90% approval rating. She’s already accomplished on a smaller scale everything that Obama has only talked about. In contrast, Obama has spent more time running for office than he has in any office. He won his state seat by getting everyone else kicked off the ballot, his fed seat because his opponent dropped out on BS allegations and his nomination by super-delegate selection. He lost all the big states and the popular vote.

On the Biden side, Obamas’ argument slaps him in the face. Biden is an old school, do nothing, 2 x Presidential loser. All the allegations Obama has made against McCain are doubly true for Biden. He’s a gaffe machine that is despised by many. Can you really imagine him as President? None of his party could in 2 primaries.

Damiano on August 29, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Palin sure messes up Hilary’s future plans. If Obama wins, she has to wait until 2016 (and win a primary against Biden). If McCain wins she has to run against Palin in 2012. Four years as VP beats eight years as First Lady. What can she do? Everything has gone up in smoke so fast.

jerseyman on August 29, 2008 at 4:10 PM

If McCain and Palin win, we could end up with a Palin vs. Hillary match-up down the road for president.

Gotta wonder what the Islamists would think of that?

Ben Franklen on August 29, 2008 at 4:28 PM

I don’t think choosing Palin is going to bring over any more Hillary supporters than McCain already had via Obama’s treatment of Hillary. The reason I say this is because the ones that were willing to cross party lines to make a point have already said they were going to. The remaining Hillary supporters were crusty old ultra-fems like my grandmother who would sooner be skating with Hitler than vote for a Republican.

So if choosing Palin was to try and grab those votes then it was a poor choice. However I like the choice for other reasons. Adding another old white dude to the ticket was the worst thing McCain could have done.

Still not voting for him or Obama in any case but that’s how I see it.

Benaiah on August 29, 2008 at 4:41 PM

On what the MSM is doing:

I think they’re using the tropical storm as a pretext to ignore Palin moreso than Obama’s speech. Tropical storm headed for NOLA all over again, evil Republicans going forward with their convention anyway and ignoring the little people.

There’s the new meme.

Vatican Watcher on August 29, 2008 at 4:48 PM

I would have bet money that Ferraro would be enthusiastic about Palin, if only for another opportunity to get on TV and poke Barack in the eye one more time.

sulla on August 29, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Damiano on August 29, 2008 at 4:08 PM

point off for missing Biden’s third brief run, in 1992. :)

sulla on August 29, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Palin’s role in Congress is surely going to be interesting, if she and McCain make it. Blinky and Dingy are going to have some hard times, methinks.

I am always pleased to see fools pick fools to run with, as Barry did with BinBiden. I have some distrust of McCain, but this move is tactically and substantively better IMO than anyone else available. LA needs Jindal more than AK needs Palin, and having a Downs syndrome child who she refused to abort after learning of the issue signals a bravery Pelosi and fellow abortionists cannot muster.

The whole Rep slate was underwhelming, and McCain may have sensed the best move was to by-pass them all but find a good executive. I think he has done that. He rises in my eyes.

Harry Schell on August 29, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Besides the PUMA’s and undecided women voters – think also about Republican women and what this means to them. They will have to be so excited by this pick that they will show up in droves, many of whom said they would just stay at home. I want McCain/Palin elected not only by cross-over Democrats, but by Republican’s turning out in droves. From the comments here and on other threads, the enthusiasm for Palin is palpable. AWESOME PICK, John!

Neocon Peg on August 29, 2008 at 6:02 PM

You are just not very nice, are you?

Elizabetty on August 29, 2008 at 2:13 PM

I’m very honest. If what I have to say is painful, then I’m perceived as unkind.

Honestly. I am very kind and giving in my real life. I am equally honest with friends, family and co-workers. They appreciate my honesty. You will never need to wonder if you have a booger on the tip of your nose. I’ll let you know.

My words are often direct, unwaivering and not always “nice.” Don’t come around here expecting me to blow smoke rings at your sphincter.

Since your question seems rhetorical, one might call you “disingenuous.” Nice.

BKennedy on August 29, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Tell us how you really feel. Refreshing.

The Race Card on August 29, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Since your question seems rhetorical, one might call you “disingenuous.” Nice.

BKennedy on August 29, 2008 at 2:14 PM
Tell us how you really feel. Refreshing.

The Race Card on August 29, 2008 at 6:40 PM

You can be honest and not be so nasty. You can be honest and not assume that every oher person in the world has malice in their heart.

Elizabetty on August 29, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Elizabetty on August 29, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Nasty is a fair descriptor. However malice is not a prerequisite to find one in receipt of what I might call a “tune-up.”

In case you haven’t noticed, I reserve my ire and fire for those whom I perceive to be dealing in stupidity, lies, bigotry, disseminating bad information and/or lame jokes.

Feel free to say something unfunny, stupid, utterly erroneous and/or unsubstatiated. I’ll respond accordingly.

Your question was fair and well-stated. My reponse was honest. You’re dismissed.

The Race Card on August 29, 2008 at 10:45 PM

Also…I am comfortable playing the foil for the rest of you who think you’re any less abrasive, sanctimonious and cocksure of yourselves. Go ahead lay that monkey right up there on my shoulders. They’re quite broad and strong…put em to use.

Methinks however that before you do some of you might read your own comments.

The Race Card on August 29, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Haven’t read page 1 here, so excuse the possible repitition, but Palin’s shout out to Ferraro and Clinton sure didn’t hurt.

JM Hanes on August 29, 2008 at 11:42 PM

… I believe the country MUST be convinced she could be President in these dangerous times.

… but I’m thinking of undecided and independent voters. And, I must admit, I want to hear how I can feel safe if she is President.

justdianne on August 29, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Of course it would be nice to have candidates for whom the electorate could tick all the boxes. The reality, however, is a choice between an imperfect blue team, an imperfect red team and some imperfect teams of unknown colours (the independents).
The nation might like to feel fully comfortable but a fully comfortable option isn’t presently available. Are Mr McCain and Ms Palin ‘safe’? No, not fully, but are they ‘safer’ than the alternatives?
And what do we mean by ‘safe’? What circumstances are we thinking of?
Mr Obama is a lawyer. In my opinion lawyers should never be allowed to occupy seats of power because they try to solve every problem with law (if your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail) and they lack the experience, and the intellectual freedom and creativity, to look over and around problems or to evaluate them in terms other than legal. The UK took a real battering under the socialist lawyer Mr Blair for this very reason.
Mr Obama has associated with people who are superficial and unwise. This too is a huge ‘danger’ because no nation simply elects a leader. Whoever is chosen for the top job will be strongly influenced by a whole bunch of other, unelected, largely unknown people. Again, the UK voted for the charming, smiling, eloquent Mr Blair and overlooked the fact that Mr Blair himself and also many of his advisors and confidents (including his wife, fellow ministers and political aides) were intellectual lightweights; overflowing with ideology, short of useful experience, (indeed short of any experience outside their narrow social, political and career circles), and utterly devoid of wisdom.
Mr Obama shares these weaknesess and they are, in my mind, very significant. Should Mr Obama become POTUS, I feel the USA will be not become a better place, and any ‘solutions’ are likely to be superficial and short-lived. It is even unlikely that the USA will become more liberal, because socialist policies often involve greater state control of individuals. Again, using a UK example, it was the socialist government that introduced thought crimes (also known as ‘hate-laws’) and which has attempted to introduce detention without trial for people deemed (by politicians) to be dangerous.
People can and probably should consider Ms Palin’s (and Mr McCain’s) weaknesses and how they might be redressed but context for that debate is not some mythical ‘ideal’ candidate pair but, rather, the weaknesses of the alternative candidates and how they might be addressed.
If the Reds win the election then Ms Palin might one day be POTUS and she might flounder in that role. If the blues win the election Mr Obama will be POTUS and has several characteristics that indicate that he will be very damaging in that role. Complete safety is not an option, but there are two different degrees of danger to choose between.

YiZhangZhe on August 30, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Re: The Race Card

Elizabetty, I’m with you.

As for Ferraro, I don’t think McCain/Palin ought to turn down the help.

indythinker on September 1, 2008 at 10:09 PM

YiZhangZhe – Nice thoughts.

It just hit me.