ABC: McCain decided on Palin … last night

posted at 4:53 pm on August 29, 2008 by Allahpundit

He was still mumbling about Lieberman as of last weekend, until he did something remarkably uncharacteristic and actually listened to his base. Then he took another look at his stable of what Gingrich describes as Republican “boring white guys” and was left, like so many of us, underwhelmed.

And then he let Maverick be Maverick.

None of them had what McCain believed he needed to do–and would have done–with Lieberman.

McCain wanted to shake up the ticket.

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin’s name in the mix as an unconventional choice for months, but she had not been considered a frontrunner. So over the next few days, with McCain continuing to believe he needed someone who had more of a maverick streak than his other choices, lawyers reviewed her vetting information. They kept their activities from even some in McCain’s most senior inner circle…

The campaign secretly flew Palin into Dayton last night. She and McCain met privately for a couple of hours. McCain concluded she would “shake up the system” and was “a maverick,” qualities he believed Lieberman would have brought to the ticket. But she also would appeal to conservatives–which Lieberman most certainly would not have done.

After their meeting, McCain concluded he was comfortable with his choice. He notified Pawlenty this morning that he was going a different direction.

This puts the lie, at least, to the claim that Pawlenty and Romney were nothing more than decoys all along. I’m a little leery of the fact that they don’t know each other given that McCain’s very much an “inner circle” type of politician — Liebs, Graham, and top aides like Mark Salter — but given the atomic buzz she’s bringing him, he shouldn’t find it too hard to warm up. Exit question: Why did McCain want to shake up the ticket so badly? Because he was convinced he couldn’t beat Obama without a game-changer or because he wanted to put his own Mavericky brand on the party? (Or both?)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The real question is what happens if/when Palin and McCain come to loggerheads?

spmat on August 29, 2008 at 5:36 PM

The real question is what happens if/when Palin and McCain come to loggerheads?

The real amswer is: wait till after November 4.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Keep Obama on the defensive and ignore the stupid crap they will try to throw at Palin.

If Obama is constantly trying to fumble through an explanation for Ayers or infanticide or flip-flopping, his time will quickly run out.

More ads such as “remote control” would do the trick, that was awesome.

Bishop on August 29, 2008 at 5:38 PM

SO CK>>> what crusty old white guy wouldn’t love to have his very own Sarah CONNOR Palin jump from his birthday cake. Obama THINKS he’s a god.
McCain IS one.

seejanemom on August 29, 2008 at 5:22 PM

I assume that’s you speaking and not someone you found at one of those sites… To answer the first question: I believe that the very definition of red-blooded American male is “would love to have his very own Sarah CONNOR Palin jump from his birthday cake.”

And, yes, I guess that for today McCain rules the universe – but I like to think he’s been around the wide block enough times that he doesn’t need a guy whispering in his ear to remind him he’s mortal.

CK MacLeod on August 29, 2008 at 5:39 PM

So.. fair is fair.. we need slobber too..

Chakra Hammer on August 29, 2008 at 5:09 PM

We Need Slobber Too – good slogan for McCain/Palin, you think? :D

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Both.

Griz on August 29, 2008 at 5:40 PM

The liberal media is spinning this story so fast, they are unintentionally drilling for oil!

Mr_Magoo on August 29, 2008 at 5:41 PM

I wish someone,

bbz123 on Aug 29,2008 at 5:32PM.

bbz123: Meanwhile back at Team Obama,Omama has becoming un-
gluded,and it appears the dishes and briefcases are
in an uncontrolled flight paths,through out the
Obama Kingdom!

Lets listen in: Were screwed,I told you to get Hill
onboard,but ooooooooooooooooo no,
like usual,I’m the last person you
listen to!

Biden is same ol’,same ol,business
as usual,some freaggin change there
Barack!

But baby,what about HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on August 29, 2008 at 5:42 PM

The real question is what happens if/when Palin and McCain come to loggerheads?

It won’t be a problem. And it won’t happen, if it does, for at least 67 days, I am certain.

Conflicting opinions aren’t’ a bad thing.

Spirit of 1776 on August 29, 2008 at 5:43 PM

No, you’re not. The question how we make the case without offending the Hillary-backers.

Kafir on August 29, 2008 at 5:32 PM

Palin made a great start with her graceful words re Ferraro and HR Clinton in her speech – which received lots of cheers, I was interested (and happy) to note!

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 5:43 PM

They’re probably a little confused, Magoo.

I think McCain was desperate to find something, anything to counter the Dems very successful convention…and Romney, Huck, Lieberman, etc. just weren’t gonna do it.

I don’t think McCain was thinking beyond next week.

alphie on August 29, 2008 at 5:44 PM

seejanemom on August 29, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Kafir on August 29, 2008 at 5:32 PM

I would argue we don’t NEED to convince them.

Libs are the ones who INVENTED the game of identity politics. Now we are just calling their bluff and making them answer McCain’s BRIILIANT backhand.

Its all about the ovaries for most of those poor hags—issues or not. They are so inSANEly p*ssed off at the Party who left them behind in favor of THE OLD WHITE GUY, they would have voted for Mitt Romney if McCain had trotted him out in drag.

seejanemom on August 29, 2008 at 5:46 PM

I’m now 100% convinced that Palin is a great pick. The trollometer just spiked.

forest on August 29, 2008 at 5:46 PM

alphie on August 29, 2008 at 5:44 PM

What successful convention? It’s only gotten Obama 4 points. That’s pretty bad. Nothing, really.

The convention was a mess. Even the lefties are saying that.

lorien1973 on August 29, 2008 at 5:47 PM

alphie on August 29, 2008 at 5:44 PM

The Dems had a convention? When did that happen? Does anyone remember?

Bwhahahaha

Hollowpoint on August 29, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Rosmerta on August 29, 2008 at 5:43 PM

The key is to make a good faith effort to seperate the argument of “feminism” as defined meaning fostering success in the XX Chromal community from “feminism” as shorthand for “psycho left infanticide slinging gender warriors”……

I think the argument can be made and I think a Sarah Palin, Condi Rice, and Kay Bailey Hutchinson are able to make it.

I have not been this proud of my party since Reagan.

We cannot hope to coopt all the self-described feminists, but as there are several gradiants of “environmentalist” ranging from greenepeace wacko to cagey hunter who wants maximized resource I do think we can snag a good portion of self-described “moderate” feminists and nearly all the pro-life feminist vote now.

This was such a genius move I banged the till for 300 bucks…..

Call them up and praise them instead of just using the web….the operators appreciate it and you can tell they are shocked at how happy we are.

sven10077 on August 29, 2008 at 5:48 PM

OOOoooo…”BANGED THE TILL”…..sven….your’e turnin’ me ON!

seejanemom on August 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM

sven10077 on August 29, 2008 at 5:48 PM

I have doubts about Palin, but I donated too. I kicked in $500. I wasn’t gonna donate to McCain; but at least this means he’s trying to win.

lorien1973 on August 29, 2008 at 5:51 PM

I think the Democrats called McCain “McSame” one too many times. The Dems maybe have themselves to thank for Palin. The only thing they’ve done that I approve of.

RBMN on August 29, 2008 at 5:51 PM

Spur of the moment choices usually end poorly. And this feels like a spur of the moment choice.

lorien1973 on August 29, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Yea, I’m sure that’s it… (unbelievable).

Mr_Magoo on August 29, 2008 at 5:52 PM

My mom (58yrs old) is a Republican, but she’s not into it and never talks politics. Today she was so giddy it was kind of creepy. She is almost as excited as when I had my daughter (her fist grandchild). This VP pick is a winner. Not just for bringing folks to our side, but envigorating all those gloomy repubs out there rundown by the media for the last 8 years.

Muletrain on August 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM

lorien1973 on August 29, 2008 at 5:08 PM

lorien1973 on August 29, 2008 at 5:51 PM

So after these two remarks, you donated $500?

Mr_Magoo on August 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM

OOOoooo…”BANGED THE TILL”…..sven….your’e turnin’ me ON!

seejanemom on August 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM

hey who says the right ain’t sexy…..?

They ran on Bill’s sex appeal and subtly say Barry’s a stud….

new bumper sticker…..

Pic of Palin-my candidate is way hotter than yours…..

sven10077 on August 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Bwhahahaha
Hollowpoint on August 29, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Yeah, they had a convention. Some guy (forget his name) gave a speech there last night (I forgot anything about the speech too).

Bishop on August 29, 2008 at 5:55 PM

t

They wouldn’t be if they’d been listening.

I was driving in to work this morning after having checked the web to see if there were any hints. There weren’t, and I was anxious as heck on my drive and as I got ready for students. Halfway through 1st period, there she was. I cannot adequately express how relieved I am now. A conservative, a real conservative.

Whew!

And now, it’s gonna be fun to watch over the next two months.

Bob's Kid on August 29, 2008 at 5:55 PM

I want to know what Hillary supporters are saying about PALIN. And DON’T say DKos.

Try this site, which has, to say the least, a rather positive opinion of McCain’s judgment and character, especially today.

Hazard on August 29, 2008 at 5:56 PM

So after these two remarks, you donated $500?

Mr_Magoo on August 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM

to clarify in my own case I called before it was offoicial when the Chicago(nice slap Maverick!) papers said it was so….

spoke with a rather pleasant operator who asked had I donated before….told her no I disagree with McCain on many things but I hold his service in high-esteem….

But ma’am I need to know is it Sarah?

“Can’t say”

“well you tell Senator McCain I got 300 dollars here for making it even a credible rumor and 300 a month ’til the election if he picks her and honors my wife and the other women of the conservative movement.”

You could hear her grin.

sven10077 on August 29, 2008 at 5:57 PM

So after these two remarks, you donated $500?

Mr_Magoo on August 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM

I have my doubts about her – and I think they’ll be born out; but it shows he’s trying to win. Fred (my previous selection) never showed me that. I had doubts McCain cared one way or another – as he’s apt to agree with Obama on a few too many issues – but this shows he’s willing to give it his best shot.

lorien1973 on August 29, 2008 at 5:58 PM

So after these two remarks, you donated $500?

Mr_Magoo on August 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM

And let’s be honest. Polls show 20% of people less likely to vote for him if he picks a woman. This is a major roll of the dice here.

lorien1973 on August 29, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Sooooo….you have doubts about not only McCain but Palin as well? You have any more hundos laying around that might normally be given to useless causes, feel free to send them my way instead.

Bishop on August 29, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Is there more then the one lifetime poll? Like the Mormon-thing I guess we won’t know until we know.

Spirit of 1776 on August 29, 2008 at 6:03 PM

The Obama speech spooked him, and for good reason; Obama’s on the verge of “making the sale” to voters who were/are apprehensive about supporting him. Palin’s not exactly a “mavericky” pick – even though she likes to call herself that, there’s a difference between being a maverick in the Alaska Republican party and a maverick in national politics – so I think he saw a need to do something to try to get a little buzz.

Big S on August 29, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Big S on August 29, 2008 at 6:03 PM

you spin well…..

can I rent your services as a gyroscope my boat’s broke the other day….?

sven10077 on August 29, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Obama made a huge mistake by calling Palin a small-town girl, right after McCain was gracious toward Obama.

How many times can the Bringerer Togetherer™ elitist insult average Americans before November? My over under is 10,000.

Bishop on August 29, 2008 at 6:05 PM

McCain decided on Palin … last night

If that’s true, so much for the stodgy old guy for Pres. premise.

He might not be so old after all.

Speakup on August 29, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Yeah, that whiny speech must have spooked the hell out of McCain.

Perhaps you could refresh my memory of all the really enlightened and uplifting bits from the speech because I can’t seem to recall any.

Bishop on August 29, 2008 at 6:07 PM

*Sigh*

I am horribly disappointed that Romney is not the pick. Sarah Palin is not a committed Conservative. She proved that with her veto of the gay benefits ban in Alaska. It shows that she will compromise her Conservative credentials for emotional pragmatism.

A Governor does NOT veto a bill because they think the Supreme Court will strike it down. It is very important for the Governor to let the court do just that so that the issue will move along and not stagnate. By vetoing the bill she killed all progress in resolution of the issue from a legal standpoint and established a de facto set of rights for gay couples that undermines the institution of marriage. This is hardly Conservative and counter-productive for the support of family values.

With Romney on the ticket a vote for McCain/Romney was a slam dunk for me. I will have to seriously consider a third party vote now with Palin. Unless I can find a way to vote for her I will not vote for McCain because McCain is not Conservative on much except national defense.

I am going to stop posting for a while because I am not going to engage in a shouting match with the Palin folks doing their victory lap in everybody else’s face. I don’t have the patience for that kind of political suicide right now.

Hawthorne on August 29, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Yeah, hollow.

The Dems had a convention that went as well as a convention can go.

What are the Repubs gonna do? Open with Cheney and go downhill all the way to McCain’s monotone acceptance speech?

Maybe Palin can add a little spark?

Or end McCain’s run in a few minutes…who knows?

Guess we’ll find out soon.

alphie on August 29, 2008 at 6:08 PM

THE pick. The Good Ship St. Barach Lollipop is taking on water.

Good riddance.

Benjamin9 on August 29, 2008 at 6:08 PM

lorien1973 on August 29, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Really? Link please?

Romeo13 on August 29, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Yeah, hollow.

The Dems had a convention that went as well as a convention can go.

Maybe Palin can add a little spark?

Or end McCain’s run in a few minutes…who knows?

Guess we’ll find out soon.

alphie on August 29, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Yeah Ralphie….

O-pollo going to the Acropolis to deign to speak to we mortals about our wretched lives sure went over well…..

sven10077 on August 29, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Mr_Magoo on August 29, 2008 at 5:41 PM

That is funny!

thePajamaPundit on August 29, 2008 at 6:15 PM

The Obama speech spooked him, and for good reason

Now that was worth chuckle, that Obama is capable of anything that would spook John McCain in near hilarious.

Speakup on August 29, 2008 at 6:16 PM

You keep quaffing that Kool-Aid and smoking whatever the hell it is you are smoking, Big S. Obamassiah is toast. Get used to it.

ManlyRash on August 29, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Sarah Palin is a solid Conservative, for liberals that makes her guilty of double identity treason.

You go Girl!

A special kind of Dem prejudice applies, akin to the liberal bias given to Black politicians with an R behind their name.

If you’re not subject to the Democrat plantation owners association. their big brim hats get all crumpled up.

Speakup on August 29, 2008 at 6:24 PM

This is my first post here; thanks for opening registration the other day :-)

I’m ambivalent. I agree with most of the positives discussed. Yet I have doubts as to how many of the disaffected Hillaryites and other feminist-oriented women Palin will bring aboard. These women are pro-choice, and Palin is pro-life, as well as being more conservative overall than a lot of these women would prefer. She’s also apparently a creationist, although she hasn’t pushed to have ID included in school. But this is a point that the left will hammer her on, and may well work against her with moderates/independents.

neocon hippie on August 29, 2008 at 6:35 PM

neocon hippie on August 29, 2008 at 6:35 PM

if barack starts hammering her for personal beliefs or Joe does all she has to do is smile sweetly and say, “why Joe I like you do not let my faith impacy ANY aspect of my governing and what PRECISELY are Barry’s beliefs and did he learn them listening to Jeremiah Wright?”

There is NO STRIKE THEY CAN HIT HER WITH THAT DOES NOT HIT THEMSELVES.

sven10077 on August 29, 2008 at 6:42 PM

neocon hippie on August 29, 2008 at 6:35 PM

That’ll be the next knock on her, “Tammy Faye Palin,” and that’ll backfire on the Dems too, because America as a whole is just more conservative than those who run the Democrat Party. The party activists live in a liberal bubble that doesn’t extend very far into flyover land, where most of us Americans live. Palin is not their ideal woman, but she’s ours.

RBMN on August 29, 2008 at 6:45 PM

I couldn’t be happier with McCain’s choice. He absolutely had to choose someone to shake things up. As much as I like Mitt Romney, it would have been a boring choice that the media would have forgotten about in a day or two. I was in favor of Lieberman because he would have been a game changing pick, but Palin is even better because she brings the added benefit of pleasing the right wing of the party. This is such an exciting ticket now, and I look forward to election day.

jonezee on August 29, 2008 at 7:05 PM

McCain only met her once before, per the Politico?

Umm… mavericky?

e-pirate on August 29, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Which is why her speech today is even more impressive; She spoke after coming right out of the box-er, so to speak…

Perhaps I’d better look for a better metaphor!

She’s impressive, a game changer, regardless of what the Kos Kidz try to say…

RocketmanBob on August 29, 2008 at 7:09 PM

In answer to your exit question, I believe what McCain tells us on the matter. If nothing else, the man is as honest a senator as we have in this nation. He says he wanted to shake it up. And he sure accomplished that. She will be a magnificent VP. I was scared to death that he would do something crazy like tap Lieberman or, worse yet, Huckaphoney.

argos on August 29, 2008 at 7:16 PM

This woman will be the first woman president, in 8 years. This is so unbelievable. I need some valu rite, that’s an Ace thing.

Kempermanx on August 29, 2008 at 7:49 PM

RocketmanBob, Yeah I agree. I was wondering how she would handle the pressure. She knocked it out of the part. Totally poised. Totally confident. No stupidass flubs like Obama’s VP unveiling, where he introduced Biden as the “next president of the United States” and Joe replied by calling him “Barak America” (for the love of God). Palin is a class act. Down to earth. Strong. The kind of person you would like to talk to at a BBQ. I’m a native born Alaskan (Fairbanks 1954), now living in St. Paul, and I gotta tell ya, I’m delighted beyond words on this choice. This woman is an American in the finest sense of the word.

argos on August 29, 2008 at 8:02 PM

The fact that she is a woman might mean they will have an easier time getting along than McCain and men.

The fact that she is a woman that will stand up to man or beast if it gets in her way means she will not tolerate him blowing up at her. If he ever does lose his cool with her, it will probably only happen one.

Elizabetty on August 29, 2008 at 8:26 PM

Happen ONCE (I have the bad typers flu today)

Elizabetty on August 29, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Nobody wants to mention it, but all the polling in past elections has shown that voters focus on he top of ticket.

corona on August 29, 2008 at 8:33 PM

I have been advocating for her to be the VP pick since early summer. I am SO STOKED.

Instead of just reluctantly voting for this ticket to prevent a disaster from the Dems, I am actually going to CONTRIBUTE to this campaign. Whooooot

karenhasfreedom on August 29, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Yes, people do focus on the top of the ticket, and BO doesn’t even measure up to the bottom of the McCain/Palin ticket.

jazzmo on August 29, 2008 at 9:45 PM

I don’t care if McCain made up his mind at 9:30 AM EST this morning. I’ve wanted Palin or Jindal on this ticket for the last 3 months and now we have it.

The Republicans have two amazing people in our party that are young and have the values we need, our future is so bright I think I need a Sun Setter.

Rbastid on August 30, 2008 at 12:46 AM

lorien1973 on August 29, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Really? Link please?

Romeo13 on August 29, 2008 at 6:09 PM

The link was posted here a short while back, but AFAIK the polling was for some reason intentionally biased towards polling members of ethnic minorities, who would see a female Republican as a threat to Barry/Diamond Minin’ Joe Quimby Biden ’08.

Plus, any of the GOP members polled were probably thinking at the time of Maverick picking KBH or some other RINO, or even a Dem like Her Maj of NY.

An t-Oibriche Criosdail on August 30, 2008 at 4:26 AM