Video: Meltdown at MSNBC

posted at 3:39 pm on August 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

Funny enough, I guess, but I’m posting it mainly as an excuse to lay in front of you Jossip’s dishy item about the wheels coming off. Hard to believe there’d be tensions at a workplace dominated by Keith Olbermann, huh? He seems like such a go-along-to-get-along kind of guy.

Even funnier than the clip: Guess which network was promoting Stewart this morning.

Love him or loathe him, Olby’s the only one who delivers anything approaching ratings over there so if someone has to go, it ain’t him. Scarborough has options — it’s easy to see him doing radio or as a Fox News analyst — but what about Matthews? He’s neither CNN nor Fox material, and the thought of him talking nonstop in three-hour blocks on Air America makes my head hurt. How about a new media gig? It’ll be like Jennicam: Tune in any hour of the day or night and there he’ll be, just yakkin’ away…

Comments

NEWS FLASH!!!

Wikipedia says Kay Bailey Hutchinsen is McCain’s veep pick!

Look for yourself!

Wiki is never wrong!

pseudonominus on August 28, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Wiki is never wrong! Except when it is.

On the other hand, this is rather amusing–they refused to run with the Edwards thing until it was far too late, but they put this on KBH?

As for Olberman… Who knew the biggest battles at the Democrat convention would be on the all Obama, all the time channel?

Vanceone on August 28, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Wrong topic, Pseudo. :P

On subject: …. actually I have nothing to say. I don’t watch enough TV to matter.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on August 28, 2008 at 3:45 PM

I love watching MSNBC! last night Matthews said anyone voting against Obama was someone who did not accept the results of Appomattox in 1865…where else can you get this sort of derangement from the media in your face?…

elduende on August 28, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I think the “anchors” over at MSNBC was just a side show there. It looked to me, that they were actually giving the finger to Obama, after all, he’s just like the black news man in the clip, he’s got nothin’.

Torch on August 28, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Sam the Eagle. Hah.

Slublog on August 28, 2008 at 3:48 PM

but what about Matthews?

He can probably forget about running for the Senate too, after having gotten on the Clintons’ bad side.

rw on August 28, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Watching Bathtub Boy and Thrill Up My Leg duke it out on live TV is more enjoyable than the convention itself. I can’t wait for next week.

Lance Murdock on August 28, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Good lord, did he actually say this?

As much as I despise Matthews, I am surprised that even he would be stupid enough to utter this.

Unbelievable. These guys really do exist in an alternate universe. Of universal morons.

NoDonkey on August 28, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Anyone who doesn’t vote for Obama doesn’t accept the fact the side with the most guns usually get’s it’s way?

MarkTheGreat on August 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM

I am waiting for the movie! It will make Network (was that the name of it) look like child’s play.

bopbottle on August 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM

The night before, Matthews declared that anybody who believed that the Clinton’s would vote for McCain was insane.

MarkTheGreat on August 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM

With fellow liberals like that, what do they need us for?

Browncoatone on August 28, 2008 at 3:52 PM

It’s pathetic watching grown men behave like teenage girls at a slumber party gone wrong.

Disturb the Universe on August 28, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Like I said yesterday, Russert must have been more of a stabilizing force over there than we all realized.

Wow. What an embarrassment!

aero on August 28, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Note: Keith and Matthews are staying at the Hyatt in Denver.

Matthews got back first, after events at the Pepsi Center ended.

Out front of the hotel, one guy walks up to Chris to get his picture taken, then Matthews goes to the bar and runs into Jesse Jackson. They start chatting.

About 20 minutes later, Olbermann walks in, says hi to Harold Ford and is swamped by people wanting a picture.

Jesse was still there; but, Matthews wasn’t.

yo on August 28, 2008 at 3:54 PM

MarkTheGreat on August 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM

don’t know what he meant exactly but it was probably a deranged comment on how only racists won’t vote for Obama.

elduende on August 28, 2008 at 3:56 PM

I love watching MSNBC! last night Matthews said anyone voting against Obama was someone who did not accept the results of Appomattox in 1865IS A RACIST…where else can you get this sort of derangement from the media in your face?…

elduende on August 28, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Fixed it for them

cobrakai99 on August 28, 2008 at 3:57 PM

MSNBC was rolled out of NBC like Saturn was rolled out of GM, but they still are in business to make money. I can’t see having Olbermann there driving away any cogent analysis as a long-term survival strategy.

Vashta.Nerada on August 28, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Here’s Rupert Murdoch take on the MSNBC situation

“My reaction to that is: ‘Grow up!’ They have to just grow up,” said Connie Chung, a former MSNBC host and former co-anchor of “CBS Evening News.”

Are you kidding me Connie?

Lance Murdock on August 28, 2008 at 3:59 PM

I can’t actually bring myself to watch that garbage live, but I have to admit that I love watching the clips.

thedudesblog on August 28, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Nice touch of allegory, there.

MadisonConservative on August 28, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Good lord, did he actually say this?

NoDonkey on August 28, 2008 at 3:50 PM

He is just the first. Expect this (in a more nuanced form) from every bastion of the MSM in the coming weeks.

Vashta.Nerada on August 28, 2008 at 4:02 PM

Looks like the conservative blogs and stations like Fox News are the ones fueling the ratings for MSNBC. MSNBC and Olby love the controversy and all their supposed detractors are playing right into their hands. Their antics and craving for publicity best be ignored.

Goodale on August 28, 2008 at 4:04 PM

hardbalk

The Race Card on August 28, 2008 at 4:04 PM

25 comments ?
I only see one.
What’s up with that ?

Sasnak on August 28, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Waldorf. Good name

kangjie on August 28, 2008 at 4:07 PM

ahh, there they are, it just wanted me to post something I guess.

Sasnak on August 28, 2008 at 4:07 PM

NoDonkey on August 28, 2008 at 3:50 PM

yes I saw it yesterday afternoon around 4 or 5pm.

elduende on August 28, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Sometimes CHANGE is a good thing.

Mr_Magoo on August 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM

I’ll give it a courtesy laugh and a smirk. Stewart is so clever. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
One good pt was: I was reminded why I don’t watch Scarborough.

Christine on August 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM

elduende on August 28, 2008 at 3:56 PM

I know that, I just get peeved when people try to pretend that the Civil War was about slavery. That’s a modern myth, nobody at the time believed that.

MarkTheGreat on August 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM

I guess you can be around Olbermann only so long and not go insane.

WasatchMan on August 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Sasnak on August 28, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Sometimes you have to refresh the page in order to see the comments.

MarkTheGreat on August 28, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Nothing But Clowns has always been the idiots leading the idiots, of course they’re too idiotic to cat fight off screen.

Speakup on August 28, 2008 at 4:19 PM

There’s someone actually watching MSNBC?????

HornetSting on August 28, 2008 at 4:21 PM

WTF is up with Chriss Matthews coif? It looks like a squirrel’s nest. He looks like a raving lunatic.

Alden Pyle on August 28, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Sam the Eagle. Hah.

Slublog on August 28, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Dude………………. you have to sooooo much use your photoshop skills!

Seven Percent Solution on August 28, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Stewart’s line about the weather in Scarborough country being partly bitchy with a side a rawrrr had me laughing loudly, and just as my boss walked into my office too…whoops!

Geministorm on August 28, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Matthews tried to bleach his squirrel.

HornetSting on August 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM

His rating are Jerry Springer ratings.
They are ratings, but is it the viewers MSNBC needs to make money?
Better to have lower ratings, and higher caliber of product. I would bet PBS gets better money for ads then MSNBC, but has lower ratings.
It ain’t the ratings, it’s who buys the ads. Olby will run off good anchors so he gets what? More Kos kids, this is not the demographics MSNBC wants. To play with the big boys, they have to act like big boys.

right2bright on August 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM

elduende on August 28, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Yeah, saw that. Boy did Brokaw let Matthews have it. If I remember correctly, Matthews equated those who won’t vote for BaRock Star with the Confederate hold-outs and dead-enders who refused to accept defeat at Appomattox. While, it is true there were a few Rebels who refused to accept defeat and continued to resist, Lee’s army accepted defeat because Lee told them it was over and that continued resistance was futile. This is what Brokaw nailed Matthews on. There were no hold-outs in Lee’s army because his army held Lee in high esteem. Lee was an honorable man. He knew Grant’s terms (repatriation) were necessary for the healing of the nation. Lee gave Grant his word and his army capitulated.

ganeshpuri89 on August 28, 2008 at 4:38 PM

MSNBC has news?!?

It’s usually showing repeats of “Lockup” and “To Catch a Predator” whenever I tune it in. Either that, or infomercials.

SteakRules on August 28, 2008 at 4:38 PM

I DID!!!

LOL

benrand on August 28, 2008 at 4:42 PM

I don’t even have MSNBC in my cable line up. I am so blessed.

Elizabetty on August 28, 2008 at 4:43 PM

LOL. Doris Kearns Goodwin was just on MSNBC chattering about Obama’s historic accomplishment. Why news organizations continue to book this woman mystifies me. She has no credibility left whatsoever after the Weekly Standard outed her as a plagiarist in 2002. Actually, MSNBC has no credibility either. Maybe that explains it. They deserve each other.

ganeshpuri89 on August 28, 2008 at 4:51 PM

MarkTheGreat on August 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM

Which is exactly why we still pay tribute to the crown. Dork.

- The Cat

MirCat on August 28, 2008 at 5:05 PM

“…I got nothin’.”

Classic.

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 5:09 PM

I guess I’m guilty of enabling MSNBC’s ratings. I’ve actually been watching MSNBC hoping for an Olbermann train wreck. His show is like a NASCAR race… I’m just waiting for that pileup at turn #4.

cannonball on August 28, 2008 at 5:11 PM

“I got nothing.” Wow, they really got into character there.

Grafted on August 28, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Someone actually watches MSNBC?

gstrickler on August 28, 2008 at 5:46 PM

That deafening sound you hear coming from the offices at MSNBC is the clickity-clack of computer keyboards as many there start updating their resumes while feverishly trying to reach their agents on their cell phones.

To their chagrin, they will find that there is no place to go because the rest of the MSM are in the same boat as they, too, slowly sink toward oblivion.

Do they dare utter the words – career change?

pocomoco on August 28, 2008 at 5:52 PM

I say cage fights. Its the only way to settle disputes like this.

Zorro on August 28, 2008 at 6:03 PM

That sick puppy Keith is gonna have a rough go of it next week.

Wouldn’t it be great if Dick Cheney called him up and said “Olbermann, I’d like to do an interview with you…time and place.”

benrand on August 28, 2008 at 6:11 PM

I’m probably in the minority… but I don’t find Jon Stewart funny at all.

twoarmman on August 28, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Guys, call me crazy but I think 9/11 might’ve been an inside job. I dunno what’s making me think that was I was just watching David Greggory and the thought hit me!

Typhonsentra on August 28, 2008 at 6:37 PM

We’ll know Olbermann’s ascendancy is complete if somebody impersonates him on SNL.

Jim Treacher on August 28, 2008 at 6:51 PM

OLBERMANN AND MATTHEWS: Prima douches.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 28, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Look at them turn on each other like a pack of rabid dogs.

I blame Karl Rove.

RINO in Name Only on August 28, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Let’s see–Olbermann and Matthews as Statler and Waldorf, Scarborough as Sam the Eagle, Schuster as Beaker…

Hey… if Rachel Maddow had been involved, do you suppose Stewart would have called her Miss Piggy?

radjah shelduck on August 28, 2008 at 7:20 PM

This is a BRILLIANT Post from the linked Jessup story above:

No. 103 Kimberly Murphy says:
To paraphrase an old comparison used back in the days when every net but FNC was in the tank for the Clintons:

ABC = All-Barack Channel
CBS = Championing Barack Service
NBC = National Barack Channel
MSNBC = Must Support No Barack Criticism
CNN = Covering Nothing Non-Barack

FNC = Fair News Coverage

But, as all of them could say, “We report. You decide.” Maybe that’s why MSNBC’s at the bottom of the convention coverage ratings: They’re “reporting”, and viewers are “deciding” that they’d rather look for news coverage elsewhere.

Posted: Aug 28, 2008 at 4:25 pm

grtflmark on August 28, 2008 at 7:50 PM

The Statler and Waldorf line had me cracking up, then calling David Schuster Beaker, now that was too much! I was a little disappointed he didn’t show Sam the Eagle going after the rest of MSNBC as “independents” though.

OneGyT on August 28, 2008 at 8:05 PM

Actually funny stuff.

Mojave Mark on August 28, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Thats Entertainment!!!!!

Sonosam on August 28, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Schuster you dips–t. . . You belong with Kiethy and Chrissy.

What a team ! ! !

Texyank on August 28, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Omigod!!! MSNBC is more screwed up than my place of work… Loving it!!! I also heart Jon Stewart (my guilty pleasure).

Illinidiva on August 28, 2008 at 11:25 PM