Video: A new McCain spokesman for Obama’s unreadiness

posted at 8:05 am on August 28, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

John McCain went to the vault from the Democratic primaries and found a treasure trove of comments from Democrats on the unreadiness of Barack Obama to lead the nation. It includes the comments we’ve seen before from Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden, but adds Chris Dodd and others — including perhaps the most effective spokesman:

You know, I am a believer in … in knowing what you’re doing when you apply for a job. Uh, and I think that … if I were seriously to consider running on a national ticket, I would essentially have to start now, before having served a day in the Senate. Now there may be some people who are comfortable doing that, but I am not one of those people. — Barack Obama, 2004

This spot thus far is only a web video, but I would expect to see more of that last clip featured in McCain ads in the general campaign.  They want to make the case that Obama isn’t just asking himself to leave his comfort zone, but the entire nation.  He did end up beginning his run for the White House very early in his first year in the Senate, before he had an idea how to do the job he had just won for himself, let alone learn anything about military strategy and tactics, foreign policy, or executive leadership.

Presidential candidates get lots of criticism about policy stances during primaries that can be replayed as negative ads by their opponents.  This, however, is different.  It underscores Obama’s unreadiness, his unqualified status to assume the highest office in the country — and Obama himself makes that case.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Wow, that is a really effective ad.

Clark1 on August 28, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Barack Obama: I’m not the Barack Obama I thought I knew.

dont taze me bro on August 28, 2008 at 12:22 PM

WHOA..
Whomever has been doing the ads the last two weeks, is so damn good it is scary.

saus on August 28, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Will Obama throw Obama under the bus?

mtngto on August 28, 2008 at 12:32 PM

I see. So accepting a contract to do business with a democratic republic and nascent democracy is wrong. If he were doing business with Russia that would be ok? Or perhaps if he were doing business with Saudi Arabia, or muslim emirates? I’d rather have McCain employing a person on his team who did consulting work for a nascent democracy, than a dem Presidential nominee who was close friends with and who since 1987, worked with ‘former’ domestic terrorists-(who are still ardent marxists) which dem candidate also attended a racist church for twenty years. But that’s just me.

eaglewingz08 on August 28, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Wow, that was a devastating ad, no doubt. How does Baracky come back from the things he himself said about having experience for the job? That was a big time ad.

Bishop on August 28, 2008 at 12:38 PM

SHAZZAM

faraway on August 28, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Good ad, if not for the suffering Georgian women. I really deplore them being used in an American political statement w/o their consent. The Georgian people have suffered enough humiliation, thank you.

Oh and again other than that, great ad.

HotAirJosef on August 28, 2008 at 12:52 PM

that ad is crippling to Obama I love it.

spacekicker on August 28, 2008 at 12:59 PM

I wonder if he’ll throw himself under the bus…

Wyznowski on August 28, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Again, don’t pop any champagne yet. I remember the rock star Jimmy Carter who swept into the White House on a wave of enthusiasm. It was thought to be a sea change away from the Nixon era; people were excited that an outsider, a neophyte on the national stage, was going to ‘clean up Washington’ and restore honor to the White House.
I remember how disastrous the Cater years were for America; at home the economy fell to pieces while we became a laughingstock abroad. Iran took our envoys hostage, and Carter cratered.
Carter is looked upon as a saint by the Dems, not so much for his disastrous 4 years in office, but because he has spent the past 28 years spitting upon his own country.
There are enough young fools who think that they are being led into a brighter future by the Dems who will not listen to all of the evidence as to why Obama is not right for America. He has their hearts; ever try to argue someone out of loving something?

Doug on August 28, 2008 at 1:11 PM

What’s with this…”throw [him/her/them] under the bus”…thingie…?

Do you folks have the same short term memory problems Senator McCain has been eliciting?

Darn 9 instances on the same post are a bit repetitious, or not…?

J_Gocht on August 28, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Well spoken Doug. Though I was only a child of about 10 at the time Carter was moving in to the White House, I remember how the media fawned all over him (I can remember what was on those 3 channels we got). Even as a kid, I remember thinking to myself, “What an idiot [Carter]“.
BO is the same thing! It’s amazing to me so many cannot see it. Worshiping false idols has a price.
Cigar boy was also the same thing for me-didn’t trust him an inch. Although Monica did for at least 2.

Badger40 on August 28, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Wow. Completely devistating.

crazy_legs on August 28, 2008 at 1:34 PM

J_Gocht on August 28, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Why is it OK to smear a senior citizen as senile, J? How is that any different than using any stereotype against Obama because he is black?

And as far as memory problems- how many times has Obama forgotten which city or state he was in? His own daughter had to correct him they other night.

What’s your excuse for that? Stupidity?

Chuck Schick on August 28, 2008 at 1:36 PM

I dont see this posted on main page? found it through Corner link

jp on August 28, 2008 at 1:39 PM

This is a great ad. Funny..I listened to Obama advisers say this morning that these ads are not helping McCain at all.

They are wrong.

becki51758 on August 28, 2008 at 1:45 PM

HotAir Joe, how do you Libtards get to the wrong conclusion on everything axsbackwards?

You’re “concerned” about the “humiliation of the Georgian people, used by America to make a political statement w/o their consent?”

You fight for the rights of terrorists and pedophiles and human garbage criminals instead of the truly innocent in this world.

When BO is defeated in spectacular fashion, you’ll understand humiliation…especially, after the Bush years and you people still couldn’t beat us, even with all the media in the tank for him! Heh heh.

P.S. If Bush and Cheney provoked the fight with the Russians, so McCain gets the advantage, that suits me fine too…Saul Alinsky would be proud that we took a page from his manifesto.

SWIFTBOATING = Telling the truth about Democrats

luvstotango on August 28, 2008 at 1:56 PM

wait, just missed it on this side of page…oops

jp on August 28, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Presidential candidates get lots of criticism about policy stances during primaries that can be replayed as negative ads by their opponents. This, however, is different. It underscores Obama’s unreadiness…

Exactly.

Policy differences is one thing, inexperience is quite another.

The Ugly American on August 28, 2008 at 2:45 PM

The Daisey ad just got it’s butt kicked.

- The Cat

MirCat on August 28, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Well, I just gave to McCain. It wasn’t much, but it was somthing.

No, he wasn’t my first, second, or third choice. But of the two in the race now, it’s no contest who I DON’T want in that oval office.

I think we only have today and tomorrow to donate — and I think has something to do with McCain’s own silly campaign finance law. But what are ya gonna do, eh? A blatant socialist, or a flawed Republican? I’m going with flawed, personally. At least he didn’t launch his Senate campaign at the home of self-professed member of “an American Red Army”. An unrepentant one who still believes today what he did back then.

“KILL ALL THE RICH PEOPLE. BREAK UP THEIR CARS AND APARTMENTS. BRING THE REVOLUTION HOME. KILL YOUR PARENTS.”
– William Ayres

Just a guy who lives in Barack’s neighborhood. NOT!

philmon on August 28, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Very effective. We need a lot of people who have a high opinion of both McCain and Obama to say to themselves “I guess Obama is just not ready like McCain is.” This ad will help get us there.

indythinker on August 28, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Obama has the endorsement of Hamas, Hezzbollah, and the American Communist Party – - that’s all I need to know not to vote for him

golfer39 on August 28, 2008 at 4:05 PM

The ads for McCain are indeed getting much better – especially the close.

Bhagwani on August 28, 2008 at 4:23 PM

throwing himself under the bus.

Terrye on August 28, 2008 at 4:48 PM

The.Best.Campaign.Ad.Evah!

Thwwaaaccck!

MsUnderestimated on August 28, 2008 at 5:19 PM

all hail obama bin biden and friends, liars lying to each other and the rest of us.

run that ad everyday until the election.

THEN throw in the bill ayers one at the last minute if legal according to mccain’s own rules. :)

jcrue on August 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM

but I really think they need to hold it for October.

holygoat on August 28, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Agree but early and often. BTW Steve Schmidt is new Johnny Mac campaign director.

Caststeel on August 28, 2008 at 9:47 PM

I wonder if he’ll throw himself under the bus…

Wyznowski on August 28, 2008 at 1:10 PM

He already has.

crazy texas on August 28, 2008 at 9:47 PM

McGovern must be celebrating today: he’ll no longer be stuck with the “worst defeat ever” title for the Dems.

landlines on August 29, 2008 at 1:20 PM