Politico: Congressional Republicans told to expect a “traditional” VP pick; Update: Romney’s out?

posted at 8:05 pm on August 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

Safety first.

In a strong sign that John McCain has not selected Joe Lieberman to be his running mate, Republican members of Congress were told today by McCain’s campaign that the Arizona senator would tap a traditional number two, according to a GOP source.

The source said that would indicate that McCain has tapped either Mitt Romney or Tim Pawlenty.

“Traditional” has a lovely connotation vis-a-vis Joementum and a not so lovely one vis-a-vis Gingrich’s warning to McCain last month about boring white guys. Drudge, conspicuously, is teasing a link to a weeks-old Journal profile of Pawlenty as I write this, and a reader e-mails to say that David Gregory was dropping heavy hints on MSNBC a little while ago about McCain’s VP possibly appearing on talk shows this Sunday (Pawlenty’s booked for “Meet the Press”). I can’t believe they’d be holding back if the pick had leaked, but clearly everything they’re hearing is pointing them towards Pawlenty. I’ll back McCain regardless, obviously, but in all candor it makes me nervous to think that a guy I’d never heard of three months ago could be next in line behind one of the oldest presidents in history come January. And if I’m having that reaction, what are independents going to think?

Update: For what it’s worth, and probably not much, a source tells James Poulos at the Confabulum that Romney “no longer understands himself to be in consideration” and that he’ll be home in Massachusetts tomorrow. I wonder if this is why.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Look at those fire works and all that global warming those tree huggers are doing tonight . . .but tomorrow they will be back to telling me to use one sheet of TP.

Govgirl on August 28, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Sakaki on August 28, 2008 at 10:57 PM
What? I’m not sure I’m following you? I’m not assuming anything Huckabee about you. I’m just discussing Pawlenty v. Romney with you. I used Mike as a device to illustrate that sucking up to McCain doesn’t necessarily get you more than a back-handed compliment.

Cold Steel on August 28, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Govgirl on August 28, 2008 at 11:02 PM

If you have to use 1 sheet, might I suggest one of Martha Stewart’s fine 800 thread count sheets. Don’t flush ‘em though. It’s easier to burn them out in the back yard with all the books they send home with your kids.

Cold Steel on August 28, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Chris Matthews, first moments, post-Obama speech

“THIS IS HOW HENRY WON AT AGINCOURT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

battleoflepanto1571 on August 28, 2008 at 11:11 PM

I have the utmost respect for MB4’s opinions CS.

Rovin on August 28, 2008 at 10:14 PM

I knew there had to be at least ONE person out there, who’s as crazy as him.

SaintOlaf on August 28, 2008 at 10:22 PM

I think that we have both just been guaranteed a place in Heaven as the Devil surely will never want either of us now.

MB4 on August 28, 2008 at 11:11 PM

I don’t know if it’s still going to Romney, but here are some reasons it should be:

• There are only 60 days left and Romney already has a nation wide grassroots effort that was behind him in the primaries ready to mobilize – Pawlenty does not.

• Romney is the most proven fundraiser of the current GOP

• Romney puts Michigan, Colorado and Nevada in the GOP column

• Romney can wallop Joe Biden in a nationally televised debate

• The announcement is taking place in Ohio, where Romney raised more money that any other GOP candidate. (Romney dropped out before the Ohio primary).

• The economy is the number one issue to many Americans and no one can speak about the economy, taxes and business with the confidence and knowledge of Mitt Romney. This is where he REALLY shines.

joncoltonis on August 28, 2008 at 11:12 PM

On local TV a guy who had run for governor of Oregon and lost, although not by much, just seemed to say that it was Pawlenty.

MB4 on August 28, 2008 at 11:15 PM

• Romney is the most proven fundraiser of the current GOP

• Romney puts Michigan, Colorado and Nevada in the GOP column

• Romney can wallop Joe Biden in a nationally televised debate

• The economy is the number one issue to many Americans and no one can speak about the economy, taxes and business with the confidence and knowledge of Mitt Romney. This is where he REALLY shines.

joncoltonis on August 28, 2008 at 11:12 PM

And Romney has actually run a business successfully — something that none of the others (Obama/Biden, McCain or Pawlenty)…

eanax on August 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM

joncoltonis on August 28, 2008 at 11:12 PM

eanax on August 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Agreed. It mutes their “we-can-fix-it” proposals. They’ll have to go to some other talking point, especially with the news that this damn recession still hasn’t shown up yet.

Cold Steel on August 28, 2008 at 11:19 PM

Oh, BTW, the quote I gave earlier that caused a bit of a stir – it was from Pawlenty.

MB4 on August 28, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Hollowpoint on August 28, 2008 at 10:52 PM

Absolutely maddening. They’re all wrong on this issue, except for Kay Bailey Hutchinson who is desperately trying to stop future ethanol mandates.

Iowa has way too much power.

Buy Danish on August 28, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Intrade has it Pawlenty. A Romney spokesman has confirmed that it is not Romney.

More smoke?

If that’s true, I’m taking a long vacation.

eaglesdontflock on August 28, 2008 at 11:26 PM

More smoke?

If that’s true, I’m taking a long vacation.

eaglesdontflock on August 28, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Do they still cryogenically freeze in AZ? I wouldn’t mind sharing a locker with Ted for a few years.

Cold Steel on August 28, 2008 at 11:28 PM

MB4 on August 28, 2008 at 11:22 PM

You diabolical scoundrel. I love it.

thecountofincognito on August 28, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Doubt this means anything, but Romney is up to 20 on Intrade after a low of 5.1 a couple hours ago. Pawlenty is at 72 from 85 at the time. (I didn’t check in between so I don’t know how its been otherwise.)

thecountofincognito on August 28, 2008 at 11:35 PM

70 now.

thecountofincognito on August 28, 2008 at 11:35 PM

thecountofincognito on August 28, 2008 at 11:35 PM
Damn speculators! Someone call Pelosi and Reid before this gets out of hand.

Cold Steel on August 28, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Cold Steel on August 28, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Good one.

thecountofincognito on August 28, 2008 at 11:36 PM

WHAT THE?!? Pawlenty just dropped to 50!

thecountofincognito on August 28, 2008 at 11:37 PM

Romney’s at 22.5 and I’m dropping the annoying updates unless something drastic happens.

thecountofincognito on August 28, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Pawlenty back up to 70. Wonder what that was about…

thecountofincognito on August 28, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Ok now Pawlenty is at 41.1, are people deliberately manipulating this thing or something?

thecountofincognito on August 28, 2008 at 11:40 PM

thecountofincognito on August 28, 2008 at 11:40 PM
Rove, you evil bastard.

Cold Steel on August 28, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Mr. McCain had narrowed his list to a handful of possibilities: Former rival Mitt Romney, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, as well as wildcard Sen. Joe Lieberman

first time i’ve seen palin floated in weeks…

could it be….

could this be the big ‘SURPRISE’ worth the wait??????????????????????????????????????????

battleoflepanto1571 on August 28, 2008 at 11:42 PM

and that story was “Originally published 09:17 p.m., August 28, 2008, updated 04:10 a.m., August 29, 2008 ”

it’s current.

PALIN!>!?!??!?!

battleoflepanto1571 on August 28, 2008 at 11:42 PM

battleoflepanto1571 on August 28, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Well, if Pawlenty is a Global Warming nut, I’d prefer Palin. I’m still pulling for Mitt, though I know we strongly disagree there.

thecountofincognito on August 28, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Drudge now has this link up on Pawlenty. Hmmmm

thecountofincognito on August 28, 2008 at 11:50 PM

Fox News just broke in to say that the decision will be announced tomorrow at noon.

They also noted that Romney will be in Ohio and Huck won’t. No mention of Pawlenty.

Hollowpoint on August 28, 2008 at 11:54 PM

I hope McCain picks Mitt. If he doesn’t, it’s going to be a long 4 years.

cjs1943 on August 29, 2008 at 12:02 AM

Ridge!!

Who kept us safe since 9/11? Tom Ridge

Who was key to saving our bacon in Iraq? John McCain

indythinker on August 29, 2008 at 12:06 AM

You know who’d be even better than Ridge? Lots of people.

Unfair though it may be, the “keeping us safe” argument has probably worn out its welcome with the average, no-research voter. It was run into the ground in 2004 and failed badly in 2006.

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:08 AM

So two pro-choicers (Lieberman and Ridge), four governors / former governors, five northerners (Conn, Mass, Minn, Penn, and Alaska).

Odds are good that we’ll get a pro-life (ex)governor.

That’s good enough to sleep on.

sulla on August 29, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Mitt’s ahead of Pawlenty on Intrade again…by 49.9 to 47.9 Ha. OK this is going to bug me if I keep checking it.

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:15 AM

indythinker on August 29, 2008 at 12:06 AM

NO. No, no no no nonon ononononononnno.

Ridge at DHS always sounded like he thought the Grim Reaper was cruising the country in his 2001 Nissan Armageddon. He instilled more fear than Zawah…Zahor…Zoohomo…can never get his name straight. Evil Guy #2.

trailboss on August 29, 2008 at 12:20 AM

Anybody with a billionaire, Governor, Dad, could get used by some bright go getters as a fundraising tool for a private equity fund.

SaintOlaf on August 28, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Yes, it’s the far, far better man who makes his way in the world by exploiting other people’s most deeply held personal beliefs for power and financial gains.[/sarc

I’ll take the guy born to money over the exploiter, but to each their own…

SuperCool on August 29, 2008 at 12:24 AM

OK this is going to bug me if I keep checking it.

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhh!
- Howard Dean

MB4 on August 29, 2008 at 12:31 AM

MB4 on August 29, 2008 at 12:31 AM

Understood.

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Hey, StOlaf, man, human bean:

You have kept up your fight, and played courageously, but You have been well and truly beaten tonight.

Please, as a favor to at least one of us, let it go. Call it good. Call it a night.

Go spend some time with loved ones, regroup your spirit, come back some other time.

trailboss on August 29, 2008 at 12:44 AM

I just thought of something…if Huck is 100% for sure out of the running…who was it Red Pill got his prophecy from?

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:46 AM

Understood.

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:38 AM

I couldn’t pass up on an opportunity to quote what is probably the most intelligent thing that Howard Dean has ever said.

MB4 on August 29, 2008 at 12:47 AM

MB4 on August 29, 2008 at 12:47 AM

Also the most down-to-Earth and reasonable.

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:50 AM

who was it Red Pill got his prophecy from?

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:46 AM

Well, since he doesn’t believe in modern prophets, I’d say that was the spirit of complete and utter confusion parading around in the guise of self-rightness.

I hope he takes a second look at his own belief system, at least enough to question whether or not he understands what is and is not truth.

trailboss on August 29, 2008 at 12:51 AM

McCain/Dole ’08 – Two hundred years of experience!

CP on August 29, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Here’s to horse people – Go Romney.

peski on August 29, 2008 at 1:27 AM

Sakaki on August 29, 2008 at 1:43 AM

I think this flight may be more significant.

backwoods conservative on August 29, 2008 at 2:00 AM

I think this flight may be more significant.

backwoods conservative on August 29, 2008 at 2:00 AM

Oh man, could it be……..??? That would rock! I’m expecting Romney, but Palin would be SOOOO appealing.

Ramlady on August 29, 2008 at 2:26 AM

For what it’s worth, http://www.mccainpalin.com takes you to sites that alternate between Pawlenty and Romney for VP. A “whois” for that domain give a private registrant. Perhaps it’s the McCain campaign just trying to throw people off the trail.

jbohanon on August 29, 2008 at 4:11 AM

Yet again proving that McCain’s only strength is his opponent.

spmat on August 29, 2008 at 4:15 AM

For what its worth, the palinites have been going nuts all night long.

Link here.

Saving you the trouble of reading upwards of 700 comments, a guy named Drew, who claims to be in the know somehow with McCain, is not so subtly claiming that Palin was whisked out of Alaska yesterday on a private jet bound for an out of the way Minnesota airport. That is the flightaware link that is posted above.

If nothing else, it gave me something to read about that had nothing to do with fawning over Obama’s speech last night.

turfmann on August 29, 2008 at 4:53 AM

Palin?

Lockstein13 on August 29, 2008 at 6:57 AM

I think you guys are manufacturing a lot for Palin.

Just FYI, the destination airport that is in that Flightaware link is Middleton, Ohio. That is still a good 90 minute to 2 hours drive from Dayton. The same plane, with tail number N222GY seems to fly regularly between Anchorage and Boeing Field near Seattle. So having it fly to Ohio, especially a destination a couple hours from Dayton, is not any indication of Palin going there.

Hawthorne on August 29, 2008 at 7:05 AM

BTW, just to let you know. Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is in Dayton, Ohio. Why in the world would you fly the VP nominee into an airport two hours from Dayton when you could land right at Wright-Patterson AFB and have much better security. It makes no sense at all.

Hawthorne on August 29, 2008 at 7:10 AM

From what I know of her, I like Palin…but would she be able to step in as POTUS if she needed to? I believe Hillary was qualified to do so (in a liberal sort of way)…what about Palin? (I don’t know much about her executive experience.)

dmarie on August 29, 2008 at 7:20 AM

A non-popular name with voters isn’t going to help his crippled campain. I am actually looking to only vote for McCain as a last resort sort of thing and not becuase I want to and thats a terrible reason to vote. We’re going to need someone to keep our long term interests stable, not some novelty ticket just because it is historically cool to do to the impatient ones wanting to see a woman or black in there. If you want domestic improvement only, then go for it, but Russia isnt playing around folks.

johnnyU on August 29, 2008 at 7:56 AM

No pick has excited me more than Palin.

I think this would really generate some buzz about the ticket – and knock the sails out of Obam’s.

Her Wikipedia entry states her family was hurried off on the a light – the source is the same website that laid out Biden’s travel plans.

Mr Purple on August 29, 2008 at 8:12 AM