McCain’s mystery ad to Obama revealed: Congratulations; Update: “We wish more of his ads took that tone,” says Team Barry

posted at 4:40 pm on August 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

Job well done, Maverick.

McCain says: “Senator Obama, this is truly a good day for America. Too often the achievements of our opponents go unnoticed. So I wanted to stop and say, congratulations. How perfect that your nomination would come on this historic day. Tomorrow, we’ll be back at it. But tonight Senator, job well done.”

Not just classy but shrewd, as it’ll buy back some of the goodwill he may have squandered over the past month by hitting Obama so hard. McCain’s done an admirable job during the campaign of trying to rehabilitate the GOP’s image on race to what little extent he can, made more admirable by the fact that in this year of all years it won’t do him any good with black voters. I’m relieved my prediction was wrong and our e-mailer’s was right.

Update: Here’s the video. Belated exit question: Which nutroots blogger will be the first to call him “patronizing”?

Update: One other shrewd aspect to this is that if Obama attacks him in the speech, it makes him look ungracious.

Update: The Obama camp grumbles an obligatory thank you.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe — who did not know the content of the ad until we read him the script — just told us that the McCain ad is “a very nice gesture. We wish more of his ads took that tone, but it’s a very nice gesture.”

Plouffe said the Obama campaign would run a similar ad next week congratulating McCain on his nomination.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I know where you’re coming from. Some call me Madison “Conservative”.

MadisonConservative on August 28, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Me too. apacalyps calls me Mr. Sulu.

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Me too. apacalyps calls me Mr. Sulu.

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Pssst. Don’t tell anyone, but I made my point because it was wise_man who called me that.

MadisonConservative on August 28, 2008 at 8:58 PM

MadisonConservative on August 28, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Your secret’s safe with me.

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 9:06 PM

MadisonConservative on August 28, 2008 at 8:55 PM

And whens the last time I did that my good friend.

wise_man on August 28, 2008 at 9:17 PM

How perfect that your nomination would come on this historic day.

What historic day?

jgapinoy on August 28, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Martin Luther King’s “I have a dream” speech was August 28, 1963.

wise_man on August 28, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Classy ad! How pathetic is the Obama camp’s response, the essence of which is “Why don’t you praise the Messiah all the time?” Oh well, thank you, Mr. McCain, anyway.

MochaLite on August 28, 2008 at 9:34 PM

Me too. Suggests a good wit, I think. Enjoyed the post about Zork too. Clever.

petefrt on August 28, 2008 at 8:01 PM

Thanks, petefrt. I grew up on video games having played my first game of pong at 5 or so.

Any Skins fans out there? Gettin’ out butt kicked AGAIN! Thank God it’s only preseason, but I am pretty worried about next week vs the Gints. Ugh.

*drinks*

bryan2369 on August 28, 2008 at 9:39 PM

bryan2369 on August 28, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Welcome. We have fun here and enjoy humor as well as info and intelligent opinion.

Personally, I prefer cheap red wine. Is Obama ready to talk yet?

*eats* + *drinks*

petefrt on August 28, 2008 at 9:57 PM

How did you come to your liberal philosophy?

I have a conservative philosophy.

It’s the phony big government “conservatives” who turned liberal.

McCain’s their man.

alphie on August 28, 2008 at 10:34 PM

Sounds downright presidential to me. :-)

Mojave Mark on August 28, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Fake genuineness that comes across like, well, fake genuineness.

Dave Rywall on August 28, 2008 at 11:25 PM

jgapinoy:

How perfect that your nomination would come on this historic day.

What historic day?

1898 – Caleb Bradham renames his carbonated soft drink “Pepsi-Cola”.
1924 – Georgian opposition stages the August Uprising against the Soviet Union.
1961 – Motown releases what would be its first number one hit, “Please Mr. Postman” by The Marvelettes.
1968 – Riots in Chicago, Illinois, during the Democratic National Convention.
1981 – The National Centers for Disease Control announce a high incidence of Pneumocystis and Kaposi’s sarcoma in gay men. Soon, these will be recognized as symptoms of an immune disorder, which will be called AIDS.
1982 – The first Gay Games are held in San Francisco.
1990 – Iraq declares Kuwait to be its newest province.
1991 – Collapse of the Soviet Union: Ukraine declares its independence from the Soviet Union. Mikhail Gorbachev resigns as Secretary of the Soviet Communist Party.
1998 – Pakistan’s National Assembly passes a constitutional amendment to make the “Qur’an and Sunnah” the “supreme law” but the bill is defeated in the Senate.

Chickyraptor on August 28, 2008 at 11:39 PM

And whens the last time I did that my good friend.

wise_man on August 28, 2008 at 9:17 PM

Are you offering a truce?

MadisonConservative on August 28, 2008 at 11:39 PM

I have a conservative philosophy.

alphie on August 28, 2008 at 10:34 PM

So does Pat Buchanan, technically, and he’s a Hitler-worshipping anti-Western borderline truther ready to break free.

So far, nearly every argument you’ve made lines up with him and Ron Paul. So what’s your point?

MadisonConservative on August 28, 2008 at 11:41 PM

I thought that it was a nice contrast to the Obama camp’s whining all day about the “political malpractice” related to their baseless accusations that McCain would steal their thunder with a VP announcement.

As if they own the media or control the timing of whatever McCain decides to do. Hmmmph… who are the elitist, entitlement obsessed bastards, again?

Even better that the best they could follow up with was “I wish he was always this nice”.

Damiano on August 28, 2008 at 11:44 PM

MadisonConservative on August 28, 2008 at 11:39 PM

I’ve tried to be nice. I can’t change who I am and the things that I really believe in. I’m just saying now that I haven’t done this for over a month. (If you are keeping track.)

Like I said. I’m trying to be nice.

wise_man on August 29, 2008 at 12:10 AM

McCain is pretty clever. Wasn’t it the Chosen One who wanted to debate the “issues”? So now the slate has been cleaned,in a sense McCain has forgiven all of Obamas tresspasses, lets see who hits below the belt first. Gentelmen, start your engines!

N4646W on August 29, 2008 at 12:36 AM

Like I said. I’m trying to be nice.

wise_man on August 29, 2008 at 12:10 AM

I’ve never denied you your beliefs, other than your beliefs that I lie. When I say something, it’s because I have knowledge to back it up. When I provide proof of what I say, and you ignore it, and continue to call me a liar, as well as claim I’m some sort of Obama supporter just because I criticize a candidate I don’t like, I deny your belief, because it’s mistaken and unfounded. When you state something and I have proof of otherwise, I present it. Calling me a liar irks me, just a tad.

If you can commit to no longer doing that, you’ll find our discourse hostility-free. Take these words as an olive branch, and do with it what you will.

Them’s taaaasty olives.

MadisonConservative on August 29, 2008 at 1:41 AM

I wish Obama’s campaign took more of “that tone” too . . . y’know, the one that isn’t full of lying, posturing, smearing, and attacking.

Good call, Barry!

Ryan Gandy on August 29, 2008 at 2:37 AM

Fake genuineness that comes across like, well, fake genuineness.

But enough about you.

Jim Treacher on August 29, 2008 at 4:35 AM

MadisonConservative on August 28, 2008 at 11:41 PM

BWA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Sorry. Every time I see “Ron Paul” I have that reaction…

And Alphie is a conservative like Michael Ann Coulter is a lib

twoarmman on August 29, 2008 at 5:57 AM

Im so sick of all this sycophantic Obamassiah crap these people make want to puke

Viper1 on August 29, 2008 at 6:44 AM

Michael Ann Coulter

That should read “Ann Coulter”…

Sorry for drunk posting

twoarmman on August 29, 2008 at 7:12 AM

Rove you magnificent bastard…have you been whispering in McCains ear? Congratulate Barry and set it up so ANYTHING the Dumbocrats do now seems petty and that they are the ones with the vile attacks…I think I’m getting a tingly feeling.

PatriotPete on August 29, 2008 at 10:07 AM

“…tomorrow we’ll be back at it…”

Oh yeah.