McCain to air ad tonight directly addressing Obama; Update: Social cons threaten war over pro-choice pick

posted at 2:00 pm on August 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

Between this and Drudge’s teaser about possibly leaking the VP pick, they’re clearly very nervous about letting this speech go off without the GOP getting a word in edgewise.

I can’t imagine what he’d have to say “to” Obama unless it’s a challenge for more townhall debates.

Tonight, John McCain will talk directly to his opponent in a television ad his campaign is airing in battleground states, around the time Barack Obama accepts the presidential nomination, McCain’s campaign said…

McCain campaign communications director Jill Hazelbaker said in an MSNBC appearance that the battleground spot is “an historic ad — I think this is the first of its kind.”

“Sen. McCain is going to have an ad that’s going to air in battleground states around the time that Sen. Obama is speaking tonight,” Hazelbaker said. “He’s going to be talking directly to his opponent. So, I’m going to leave it there. But it’s going be very exciting. I think that a lot of people are going to focus on it.”

As is true of all things McCain, the boss is underwhelmed. I remember reading somewhere that back in 2000 McCain had floated the idea of campaigning across the country with Bob Kerrey if each of them won his respective party’s nomination. Is that what this is? A Lincoln-Douglas challenge for the last eight weeks of the race? It has to be some sort of offer; if it’s just an attack ad delivered by Maverick, the nastiness and pettiness of it as a contrast to Hopenchange’s big moment will be a disaster. Serious exit question: What could Obama say or do to have tonight’s speech be judged a disappointment? Picture tomorrow’s headline: “History Made as Major Party Crowns First Black Nominee on Anniversary of ‘I Have a Dream’; Acceptance Speech a Total Buzzkill.” Is there any conceivable way that happens? Drudge has that dopey photo of him up striking his JFK pose as if he has some Herculean task before him and can’t possibly meet expectations, but it’s more the case that he can’t not meet them. Unless he goes up there and drones on, Clintonesquely, about a laundry list of policy proposals — which isn’t a hallmark of Obama’s speeches, needless to say, and isn’t the sort of thing you rebuild the temple of Zeus for — he’s guaranteed ecstatic media coverage through the weekend. In fact, I think the only way the GOP gets any mileage out of this is if he has a “Worship me” moment and says something like, “I am The One.” And after all, why would he need to say it? That’s what the Barackopolis is for.

Update: One other point. If they’re thinking about leaking the VP to steal Obama’s hype, doesn’t that guarantee that it’s a woman? Breaking news about Tim Pawlenty isn’t going to start a media stampede away from Invesco. Breaking news about the first female on a major party ticket since Geraldine Ferraro stands a better shot, especially since it keys in on the night’s theme of Change.

Actually, here’s a horrible thought for you. What if McCain’s ad is his VP announcement? In the form of a challenge: “Senator Obama, you claim to represent a new, post-partisan approach to doing business in Washington. But as usual, while you talk the talk, I walk the walk.” And then the camera pulls back — “Meet my running mate, Joe Lieberman.” Heart-ache.

Update: You know, that last update makes enough sense to me that I think I’m going to offer it as a prediction. His camp wouldn’t be hyping it as hard as they are unless it’s really big news, and it coincides with Drudge’s report about “some sort of confirmation” of the VP pick by 8 p.m. Good lord.

Update: I’d love to be wrong…

Update: A different kind of prediction about McCain’s ad via e-mail from a reader: “A congratulations to Obama, noting that regardless of how one feels about The One’s ability to lead, even if he had been the best candidate ever he wouldn’t have had a shot not too long ago, and that America can progress.”

Update: Roll Call reports a Secret Service sweep at … Mitt Romney’s sister’s house? Mitt Romney’s sister for VP!

Update: And to think, we all expected the Democratic convention to be the one in turmoil. One last eleventh-hour warning to Maverick: Don’t do it.

With John McCain weighing a running mate who supports abortion rights, a revolt is brewing among his conservative base that includes a walkout at the Republican National Convention next week and a huge battle on the floor—especially if he selects Independent Democrat Joe Lieberman.

In addition to the expected brawl at the convention, major conservative donors who have planned to bankroll issue-oriented advertising and other grassroots efforts directed at social conservatives are putting their work on hold and will withdraw financial support, sources tell ABC News.

One conservative strategist characterized the prospect of a VP who supports abortion rights as a “disaster” for the Republican Party—and said selecting Lieberman would cost McCain the election…

One possible strategy is a revolt by some of the 18 state delegations who supported either Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee—and who have not yet turned over to McCain.

Those delegations could—and sources say, likely would–revolt against Leiberman and put in their own recommendation. In the nomination process, a candidate needs five delegations supporting the nomination.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

This post is the dumbest non-alphie post I’ve ever read on HA.

fossten on August 28, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Ouch.

misterpeasea on August 28, 2008 at 4:03 PM

My money is on John McClane with vp Jack Bauer.
Kai on August 28, 2008 at 3:54 PM

I’d actually give money to that ticket. And bullets.
And fire.
sulla on August 28, 2008 at 3:56 PM

McCain IS a 24 fan….
*eats*
Grue in the Attic on August 28, 2008 at 3:58 PM

I went out and bought an HK USP compact in 9mm after the third season of 24.

Already had a fullsise USP in .45; fantastic gun, but Jack doesn’t use it.

GRUE: what the heck is *eats*

pseudonominus on August 28, 2008 at 4:03 PM

It seems I chose a good username. :D

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on August 28, 2008 at 4:02 PM

HELLO SAILOR

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 4:04 PM

AP I’m starting to worry for you, i’m picturing you infront of a keyboard like Dan Rather on Election Night 2000. Spouting out bad catch phrases about who the VP is.

Rbastid on August 28, 2008 at 4:05 PM

You said that already. Try something new please or don’t waste our time. :)

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on August 28, 2008 at 2:44 PM

What is it with this damned *eats* all the time? Haven’t you said *eats* enough times already? Is *eats* suppose to be “cool” in some day school dingbat asylum or what?

BTW, I really doubt that you time is of any discernible value.

MB4 on August 28, 2008 at 4:06 PM

This post is the dumbest non-alphie post I’ve ever read on HA.

fossten on August 28, 2008 at 2:58 PM

I have to confess I thought you might be referring to Grue in the Attic, whose posts I do not comprehend, including the reference to *eats*.

BigD on August 28, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Oh no, a post with the H word (Huckster) this should be good for over 666 posts ?? Later homies.

redrock on August 28, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Pawlenty is a hell of a lot more interesting than Joe Biden. And much more interesting speaking style than Lieberman.

Pawlenty will be a good pick, if he’s the one.

It will also show stability in the campaign, because I remember hearing Pawlenty’s name months ago as being on the short list. All the speculation and other names being bandied around have been fun, but possibly just media creations.

Frankly, why would Romney want the VP slot? I think he may just be playing along and being a good sport to help McCain out. It makes me think more of him as a man and politician, actually.

funky chicken on August 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Rbastid on August 28, 2008 at 4:05 PM

When doesn’t Allah do that?

upinak on August 28, 2008 at 4:10 PM

What is it with this damned *eats* all the time?

It’s a character defining thing, like CyberCipher’s collie, or AP’s recurring headline style (“Blogger thinking of a move”, etc.)

To old Infocom text-adventure gamers, it’s a familiar sight.

Guess I’m old.

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 4:10 PM

GRUE: what the heck is *eats*

pseudonominus on August 28, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Whatever it is, it is geting more tiresome than Juan’s, “My friends”, Hannity’s, “You’re a Great American”, Hewitt’s, “This is good for Romney”,and “Have a nice #uckin’ day” all put together.

MB4 on August 28, 2008 at 4:10 PM

MAV-ER-ICK! MAV-ER-ICK! MAV-ER-ICK!

Mr_Magoo on August 28, 2008 at 4:11 PM

GRUE: what the heck is *eats*

pseudonominus on August 28, 2008 at 4:03 PM

BigD on August 28, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Most people who would get it have already gotten it and said so, but I’ll go ahead and explain: it’s a reference to my username – read the link there. The *eats* thing is sort of a signature and an in-joke to my fellow UberGeeks.

HELLO SAILOR

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 4:04 PM

“I’ve been waiting five years for someone to say those words!!”

BTW, I really doubt that you time is of any discernible value.

Time is money, my fine fellow.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on August 28, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Rbastid on August 28, 2008 at 4:05 PM

funky chicken on August 28, 2008 at 4:11 PM

MB4 on August 28, 2008 at 4:10 PM

I could make a snarky comment, but meh, not worth the effort. And we’re getting severely off topic anyway. Suffice to say, one or two whiners such as yourself isn’t going to make me stop – I’ve gotten far too many laughs already. ;)

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on August 28, 2008 at 4:13 PM

As long as people don’t start eating Cybercypher’s collie!

lorien1973 on August 28, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Maybe McCain is going to ask Barry if, when the phone rings at 3:00 a.m., he intends to answer the call or will let Biden take it.

Buy Danish on August 28, 2008 at 4:14 PM

As long as people don’t start eating Cybercypher’s collie!

lorien1973 on August 28, 2008 at 4:14 PM

I would never dare.

*doesn’t eat*

Grue in the Attic on August 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Lovely. Nice to know there are …uh… people out there like you.

BigD on August 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM

You are standing in field. To the east is a path to a house….

BobMbx on August 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM

There are plenty of qualified Republicans that have put in their time and energy supporting this party!
If McCain picks a Dem he has lost my vote and as a matter of principle I would consider voting for Obama.
They have watered down the GOP plank to the extent the enviromental global baloney and no drill in ANWR are indistiguishable from the Dems. platform.
Any person or party so arrogant that they would stomp on their own party members by choosing a member of the opposition deserves to be punished and made an example of.
This kind of behavior is unacceptable!

dhunter on August 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Buy Danish on August 28, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Let someone call me at 3 AM and watch someone go ape. Nukes would be flying. Good thing I am not running, huh.

upinak on August 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Funny, I find the Grue perfectly clear.

Mew

(who happily holds up his brass lantern)

acat on August 28, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Lovely. Nice to know there are …uh… people out there like you.

BigD on August 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM

Oh, NOW you’ve done it…it’s on…you’re so gonna get it now…

(rolls dice)

Damn. Maybe next turn.

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 4:19 PM

I could make a snarky comment, but meh, not worth the effort.

And if I had wings I could fly.

And we’re getting severely off topic anyway.

So why did you get us off topic then?

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on August 28, 2008 at 4:13 PM

With you or at you, as I fail to see the entertainment value of using, of all things, *eats* in every single comment. I do not see how anyone of any discernible humorous perception, past the age of 5 years old, could exactly see any “Jay Leno” in it.

MB4 on August 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Grue in the Attic on August 28, 2008 at 4:11 PM

He lurks in the shadows, under the sea…it’s Spongebob GrueHead.

Yes, I know. I need to be eaten.

Sakaki on August 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Zork! My favorite.

DerKrieger on August 28, 2008 at 4:23 PM

MB4 on August 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Calm down MB. It isn’t eating you or hurting you. Let it go.

upinak on August 28, 2008 at 4:24 PM

This kind of behavior is unacceptable!

dhunter on August 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM

I’ve said it before, and it still applies; Soon, you’ll see politicians changing partys in the same manner (and for the same reason) as NFL, MLB, and NBA players change teams: To play for a winner, and make loads O’dough. That’s who these people are.

BobMbx on August 28, 2008 at 4:25 PM

It’s a character defining thing, like CyberCipher’s collie, or AP’s recurring headline style (”Blogger thinking of a move”, etc.)

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Ah, I see. Let me try:

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

*you can’t saw awesome without saying wes*.

pseudonominus at a made-up time

Eh?

(my real name is Wes. I will explain it only this one time)

pseudonominus on August 28, 2008 at 4:26 PM

pseudonominus on August 28, 2008 at 4:26 PM

And all of my posts are anagrams, only none of you have yet figured it out.

BigD on August 28, 2008 at 4:28 PM

We all (myself included) take this all way too seriously sometimes, so *eats* or *mew* or *my collie says* is just fine by me.

* flies off into the sun on hello kitty angel wings *

JustTruth101 on August 28, 2008 at 4:29 PM

MB,

Google this: Zork trilogy

It will all become clear, as long as the lantern doesn’t go out….you might be eaten by a grue….

I’m a closet Zorker from waaaaaay back, like before Pentium processors!

BobMbx on August 28, 2008 at 4:29 PM

pseudonominus on August 28, 2008 at 4:26 PM

This concerns me.

Make it work.

</tim gunn&rt;

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 4:29 PM

I’m a closet Zorker from waaaaaay back, like before Pentium processors!

BobMbx on August 28, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Heh.

When I was your age we played Zork on papyrus punch cards on beta-class Difference Engines.

And we liked it.

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Buy Danish on August 28, 2008 at 4:14 PM

hehehehehehe

that’s not nice!

funky chicken on August 28, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Calm down MB. It isn’t eating you or hurting you. Let it go.

upinak on August 28, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Let it go? I don’t even know what it is? I do recall that when I was a kid the younger brother of another kid liked to eat dirt (and who knows what kind of $hit was in it) and he called it *eats*. That’s about all I know about it, or care to know. Too much personal info already.

MB4 on August 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM

im pro-choice former clinton supporter now supporting mccain. i dont care who he chooses as long as it isnt romney. it will be called the elitist ticket. all of romneys attacks on mccain will emerge.

Charges of elitism from a Clinton supporter? O-kay…

i hope its colin powell. that would be amazing. and i dont think people would revolt against a mccain/powell ticket unlike a mccain/lieberman ticket.

Probably because you’re not a conservative.

if its powell. mccain automatically wins.

I would suppose there was a time when you presumed that Hillary was a mortal lock also and look how that turned out, Karnak.

hutchinson would be a great choice also.

Not really.

anyone but romney. plus he’s a mormon. far right christians would not accept that, as they dont accept anyone that is different from them.

venicesurfer on August 28, 2008 at 3:41 PM

How’s that make them any different from you?

SuperCool on August 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM

I agree, it’s fun to have fun…..let the democrats be the humorless, scowling jerks

I heard a quick clip this morning of McCain on the radio saying he was going to pick Wilford Brimley for veep–former Marine, great guy, and older than McCain, so they could work together or something.

funny!

funky chicken on August 28, 2008 at 4:34 PM

BobMbx on August 28, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Thanks for the info Bob, but I think I will pass on this one.

MB4 on August 28, 2008 at 4:34 PM

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on August 28, 2008 at 4:13 PM

I figured this was like CypberCipher’s collie – only it was a beast in the attic and all it could do was eat. Or something.

*shrugs* Thought it was kinda cute, myself.

inviolet on August 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM

ABC Radio just announced that it will be a “job well-done” ad.

Here’s to hoping it also includes an anytime, anwhere town-hall challenge.

dugan on August 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM

I didn’t read through all the comments so you might have this. But Cavuto just read what the ad will say. Basically it says congratulations for this historic moment of a black nominee especially on the anniversary of MLK speech. And then something like today I congratulate you but tomorrow we will back at it.

Rightwingsparkle on August 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM

How’s that make them any different from you?

SuperCool on August 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Don’t be rude to the Hillary supporters who are going to vote for McCain. The main reason they came to their decision is the horrible treatment they get from Obama supporters.

And venicesurfer has a good point about how the Huckster wing of the party feels about Mormons. Venicesurfer wasn’t agreeing with their bigotry, just stating that it exists.

funky chicken on August 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Rightwingsparkle on August 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM

classy

funky chicken on August 28, 2008 at 4:37 PM

* flies off into the sun on hello kitty angel wings *

JustTruth101 on August 28, 2008 at 4:29 PM

If I was very clever all my posts would be in haiku

pseudonominus on August 28, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Here’s McCain’s ad.

Yawn.

Cuffy Meigs on August 28, 2008 at 4:39 PM

He lurks in the shadows, under the sea…it’s Spongebob GrueHead.

you might be eaten by a grue….

Yes, I know. I need to be eaten.

Zork! My favorite.

It’s a mad house. A mad house!
- George Taylor

This place needs an enema!
- Jack Napier

MB4 on August 28, 2008 at 4:40 PM

If I was very clever all my posts would be in haiku

pseudonominus on August 28, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Open comment
registration
why?

BigD on August 28, 2008 at 4:43 PM

If I was very clever all my posts would be in haiku

pseudonominus on August 28, 2008 at 4:38 PM

If I was very
clever all my posts would be
in haiku. –pseudo

Very clever.

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 4:44 PM

I think we should drop the talking point that Biden is somehow Cheney-like just because the braindead liberal voters of Deleware would vote for a dead raccoon over a Republican. This guy wanted to give Iran hundreds of millions of dollars after 9/11 in hopes they would call off hating us. He is a moron who can’t get a real job, not some Cheney-like supergenius.

Speedwagon82 on August 28, 2008 at 4:48 PM

funky chicken on August 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM

My point was how does the bigotry of the Huckster wing differ at all from the standing liberal bigotry towards
people who don’t agree with them on issues?

Just because Hillary supporters are supporting McCain (for now) doesn’t neccessarily mean they’re any more tolerant of opposing view points than they were before their candidate got thrown under the bus for Obambi.

SuperCool on August 28, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Mystery solved: it’s an ad congratulating Obama.

blue13326 on August 28, 2008 at 4:50 PM

MB4 on August 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM

LMFAO! Ok.. other then personal memories. It isn’t all that bad.

upinak on August 28, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Heh.

And we liked it.

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 4:31 PM

That’s pretty darn funny. :)

inviolet on August 28, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Maybe the message will be an invitation to BO to be his VP in order to gain some experience before running for president. You know a kind of across the aisle unity gesture. What’s he go to loose? It doesn’t look like any conservatives are planning to vote this year. Denis Prager said it pretty well yesterday when he said, and I paraphrase, the only guy qualified for the job was himself but seeing that the name of the game is winning he would have to compromise and vote for McCain.

jmarcure on August 28, 2008 at 4:55 PM

dhunter on August 28, 2008 at 4:17 PM

dude,let some air out of that thing, will ya? and stop waving it around..you’re freightening the children.

DrW on August 28, 2008 at 4:58 PM

*shrugs* Thought it was kinda cute, myself.

inviolet on August 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM

thanks :)

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on August 28, 2008 at 5:06 PM

It’s a mad house. A mad house!
- George Taylor
Sanity is a playground for the unimaginative.

*eats*

Grue in the Attic on August 28, 2008 at 5:07 PM

I have no idea how that happened. *points up*

Grue in the Attic on August 28, 2008 at 5:08 PM

I like Grue.

Terrye on August 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM

I knew of an old greasy spoon somewhere on the prairie a long time ago that had a flashing neon sign out front proclaiming *eats*. You could see that sign for miles. Nothing else out there.

Terrye on August 28, 2008 at 5:26 PM

A hollow voice says ‘Fool

xyzzy on August 28, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Grue short for gruesome.

Guardian on August 28, 2008 at 5:29 PM

*eats*

I pictured some glutton spooning gruel out of his bowl after he typed his Comment.

*shrugs*

pseudonominus on August 28, 2008 at 5:38 PM

The DNC is keeping the possibility of McCain choosing Lieberman afloat just to poke Republicans in the eye.

The RNC is keeping the possibility of McCain choosing Lieberman afloat so that Republicans will all sigh with relief regardless of differing factions upon news of his GOP running mate.

Blogs keep the possibility of McCain choosing Lieberman afloat so as to lengthen threads.

I doubt it would be Lieberman, simply because Lieberman is not the ONLY one with at least 6 strong Republican VP picks ready at the drop of a pin to go get that White House for Americans, not for citizens of the world.

The “world” has yet to appreciate what we’ve done for the “world” and continue doing for the “world”. There has yet to be a proper accounting via thorough alliance from too many who have benefited. Let’s look at how Turkey helps the USA, for instance, when we ask them to allow us permission to pass on by.

maverick muse on August 28, 2008 at 5:48 PM

CypberCipher = CyberCipher. Sorry, CyberCipher.

“And to your little big dog, too!”

inviolet on August 28, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Social cons threaten war over pro-choice pick

2 points-

1. Social conservatives as a general term encompasses far more than pro-choice voters. They are conservative on a broad range of social issues but you seem to have confused them with the single issue right to lifers.

2. Why do you suggest that it is wrong for people who truly respond to this issue to have a voice in selecting the VP nominee? You almost BLAME them for standing on their principles and values instead of shutting up and supporting whomever a cranky old liberal bastard offers up. That’s just wrong and that isn’t the way America should work.

highhopes on August 28, 2008 at 7:59 PM

I’m married to her and her cousin Carol. I forbid it !!!

marklmail on August 28, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Polygamy joke. How innovative.

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Mark,
Here’s a heads up. Be careful with the polygamy jokes…the mormon/muslims here get really upset when someone berates polygamy in any way.

SaintOlaf on August 28, 2008 at 8:03 PM

I like the ad. It is a sign of American progress along racial lines that an African American gains the nomination of a major party. It is right for McCain to congratulate him and shows good judgement. I am not an Obama supporter but it is historic and marks a milestone for all of us.

Pat in NC on August 28, 2008 at 8:05 PM

I’d like McCain AND his VP pick to congratulate Obama tonight.

*Drops Pillow*
*Drops Vase*

Ha! Memories.

texette on August 28, 2008 at 8:24 PM

The nomination of Mr Obama as a presidential candidate is a noteworthy moment and it would be churlish of Mr McCain to ignore it. So, this advert gets a thumbs up from me.

However, isn’t it also important to note that America has changed without Mr Obama and his team of Democrats being at the helm?

Mr Obama has been the beneficiary of significant change, not yet the cause of it.

YiZhangZhe on August 28, 2008 at 9:25 PM

I hope I can sleep tonight. I’ve got a bad case of nausea brewing…do I say ‘the hell with you McCain’, and write in Fred! just for heck of it if he picks JoeLib and be stuck with the guilt of the next four years with the Obamination, or do I toe the party line whomever he picks for VP?
Damn!!!