Huckabee to supporters: I was never vetted for VP and I’m not going to Dayton

posted at 10:26 pm on August 28, 2008 by Allahpundit

Just a heads up to his fans to expect coal in their stockings tomorrow morning.

There are reports that I’m on my way to Dayton tonight. Not true. Wasn’t invited to be there and any reports that I’m going to be there are a big surprise to me. I have never been contacted by the McCain campaign at any point about the VP slot. I have never been asked for any information, background, etc., so as I have said repeatedly in interviews, I didn’t consider myself to be under any consideration. I think people thought I was being coy and just not talking, but I have built my political life on trying to shoot straight and tell it as it is and as I see it. I have been honest in telling you that I had no reason to believe I was ever seriously considered or “vetted” for the ticket. That’s why I have continued with HuckPAC because I have felt that we (me and you) shouldn’t give up, but rather gear up and help good pro-life, conservative people to office across the nation.

There were indeed reports that he’d be in Dayton as a show of solidarity with the other VP contenders, but I think they were simply confusing that with a rally in St. Louis on Sunday which he — and Romney — will (supposedly) attend. Exit question: Why go to the trouble of stressing he wasn’t invited tomorrow and that he wasn’t vetted? All that’ll do is stir up the same sense of grievance among the Huckheads that finding out Hillary wasn’t vetted stirred up in the PUMAs. Or is that the point?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

keepinitreal on August 28, 2008 at 11:27 PM

I know, just trying to add some levity. AP likes to wind up all us religious freaks and watch us wail on each other. I’m going to get him on the other side.

Cold Steel on August 28, 2008 at 11:30 PM

ColtsFan on August 28, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Thank you, Coltsan. I agree with you completely.

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 11:31 PM

ColtsFan on August 28, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Well said, but you completely miss the fact that Huckabee is a ChINO. Christian In Name Only! The conduct of the man has been decidedly Un-Christian. I do not support him because he is a terrible example of Christian leadership and I do not want a petty and self-serving man like him pretending to represent my values.

Hawthorne on August 28, 2008 at 11:31 PM

keepinitreal on August 28, 2008 at 11:27 PM

I’m with you, keepinitreal.

can’t we all just get along (in our bashing of O’Biden)?

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 11:32 PM

Hawthorne on August 28, 2008 at 11:31 PM
He’s the sucky kind of CHINO that you always have to iron, you know, the one pair you always have hanging in the back of your closet.

Cold Steel on August 28, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Hawthorne on August 28, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Regarding whether someone is a ChINO, I really don’t want to go there.

Politically, Huck is anathema.

The state of his soul, I leave to God.

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 11:35 PM

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 11:32 PM

I am going to have a LOT of fun with Obama bin Biden. Neither of them can keep their mouth shut and brains in gear. This is going to be a LOT of fun.

Hawthorne on August 28, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Dang did all that typing go to waste? It was a not that long post on why this Christian prefers Mitt to Mike. Maybe its stuck in limbo because I am a new poster here at my favorite site besides Michelle’s.

goat on August 28, 2008 at 11:37 PM

Hawthorne on August 28, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Amen, brother.

sulla on August 28, 2008 at 11:37 PM

Hawthorne on August 28, 2008 at 11:35 PM
It’s going to be like the Jeffersons and Archie Bunker all over again. Don’t you just love Biden’s un-pc freshness? How about Obama’s hip-urban persona? It’s going to be non-stop hilarity from day 1.

Cold Steel on August 28, 2008 at 11:39 PM

By the grace of God, I am an Evangelical Christian myself. I personally subscribe to these propositions, and not to Rome.

I do not hate Huckabee.

However, I fear a Huckabee presidency because his speeches are full of confusion and error concerning the proper, God-ordained sphere of government and the different role and function of the individual Christian.

The sphere (or “Kingdom”) and role of government should never be conflated with that of the individual Christian believer. Huckabee has a public track record of
confusing and blurring the distinction between these two separate “kingdoms.”

And for that reason, I fear the policies of a Huckabee administration.

ColtsFan on August 28, 2008 at 11:25 PM

+1000

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 28, 2008 at 11:40 PM

Given that he’s one of the most embarrassing (so-called) conservatives to come along in a while, MSNBC will probably give him his own show.

It would fun to watch him mix it up with that Maddox guy, though.

Infidoll on August 28, 2008 at 11:41 PM

And there you have it, without race, color or creed!

Syonara suckabee

dmann on August 28, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Can I get a Hallelujah?

Browncoatone on August 28, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Hawthorne on August 28, 2008 at 11:31 PM

I was trying to avoid ad hominem arguments against the person of Mike Huckabee.

I would rather use arguments rooted in his actual positions in order to demonstrate and show that Huckabee takes Scripture verses out of context (**because these same verses refer only to the individual professing Christian believer**), and then he performs “a Mike Huckabee eisegesis by using these same Scripture verses, albeit illogically, to justify his
policy policy positions.

The Bible ordains for the role and function of the State to be markedly different in scope and nature than that of the individual, professing Christian.

ColtsFan on August 28, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Huckabee isn’t going to MSNBC. He already signed a contract with Fox News and has already taped a pilot episode that is supposed to air in September. I think that I read that it was done in front of a live audience.

keepinitreal on August 28, 2008 at 11:45 PM

After they all chanted “JERRY!!! JERRY!!!” he had to correct them that his name is in fact Mike.
Kidding.

thecountofincognito on August 28, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Where can I buy a “F#@K Huck” tee shirt?

Sugar Land on August 28, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Well isn’t this interesting!

ColtsFan, your logic is impeccable, and it was truly his conflation of public policy with scriptural practice that first and foremost made me distrust nothing so much as his judgment.

trailboss on August 28, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Huck’s out?

Apparently there IS a GOD. And he loves this world.

TheJoker on August 28, 2008 at 11:52 PM

trailboss on August 28, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Thank you.

Unfortunately, many churches have departed from Biblical expository preaching, so the Biblical insights of the “Two Kingdom” view are being ignored. Look at what is happening in Venzuela with the “Christian community”…..pretty sad.

In a 2001 radio interview, Huckabee said his religious faith in redemption helped explain why he had granted many requests.

“I would not deny that my sense of the reality of redemption is a factor,” Huckabee told KUAR in Little Rock. “And I don’t know that I can apologize for that because I would hate to think of the kind of human I would be if I thought people were beyond forgiveness and beyond reformation and beyond some sense of improvement.”
quote above found at this website here…

Instead of talking about “redemption,” Huckabee should look hard and often at Romans 13 and how God ordains for the State to punish evil.

ColtsFan on August 28, 2008 at 11:58 PM

I am liking John McCain just a little bit more tonight. We’ve been spared Huckleberry. Hallelujah!

If you are talking about Huckleberry, yup. Without a doubt.

Mallard T. Drake on August 29, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Mac brilliantly used Huck to stop the Romney Express. Well played, but Huck is now a woman scorned…

hot-heir on August 29, 2008 at 12:07 AM

No VP for Huckabee? So sad. I guess he will just have to find other ways to continue the Devils work.

MB4 on August 29, 2008 at 12:08 AM

ColtsFan on August 28, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Huckly is indeed charming and ofttimes disarming, but something did not feel right…

It was that very story that cleared my head and forever instilled distrust. It was his later “innocence project” with Mitt that made me loathe him.

trailboss on August 29, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Well, so far McCain has demonstrated that he has half a brain in not selecting the Husckster. Now show us that you have a full and functioning brain and select Mitt.

Mitt can get the votes now, because more people know him and his detractors have been left behind. He won’t baffle you with b.s., but dazzle you with his brillance.

In 12 hours we’ll know how the McCain campaign is going to look.

cjs1943 on August 29, 2008 at 12:12 AM

Mitt’s back ahead of Pawlenty on Intrade. For now. 49.6 to 40.

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Is Huck not going to Ohio because he found out it’s Mitt ? I can’t see him passing up the opportunity to be on any stage unless that’s the case.

lan astaslem on August 29, 2008 at 12:22 AM

Mitt’s back ahead of Pawlenty on Intrade. For now. 49.6 to 40.

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:18
AM

That site is going to drive you nutty, dude.

trailboss on August 29, 2008 at 12:23 AM

trailboss on August 29, 2008 at 12:23 AM

Its working…

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:26 AM

can someone from the RNC tell him to keep his trap shut? doesn’t he have a job or something? or is his new job, elect obama?

anna on August 29, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Wouldn’t it be poetic justice if Romney triangulated Schmuckabee out of the picture behind the scenes, JUST AS Schmuckabee ran interference to remove Romney as a threat during the early primaries?

At this point, if it’s not Joe Loserman of Fla recount fame, we’ll be ahead. Um, I think.

Western_Civ on August 29, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Isn’t Huck the guy who stayed for a month after Super Tuesday, because even if he couldn’t win he could somehow force a brokered convention, in which a majority of people’s delegates would have to be McCain’s and angry about the whole situation?

Romney exited with class when he realized McCain would secure the convention down the road, Huckabee kept going until McCain got to the numbers.

amazingmets on August 29, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Of course this Jesus Whig gasbag wasn’t vetted. Why would McCain want some self-absorbed megalomaniac who hides his absolute narcissistic self-worship behind a nauseating “humble servant of Jebus” mask?

revolution on August 29, 2008 at 12:29 AM

LIAR!

petunia on August 29, 2008 at 12:33 AM

Overheard at Huck’s house tonight: Aren’t John and the devil brothers?

hot-heir on August 29, 2008 at 12:34 AM

amazingmets on August 29, 2008 at 12:29 AM

You forgot he “didn’t major in math, (he) majored in miracles!”

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:37 AM

You forgot he “didn’t major in math, (he) majored in miracles!”

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:37 AM

I don’t think he ever attended class.

trailboss on August 29, 2008 at 12:39 AM

trailboss on August 29, 2008 at 12:39 AM

You’re right, class isn’t what comes to mind when his name pops up.

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:42 AM

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:42 AM

Well, yes. I can hardly express how relieved I am that Huckly is gone for at least four years. There is justice in the universe. There is a Santa Claus. America is spared once again.

trailboss on August 29, 2008 at 12:47 AM

trailboss on August 29, 2008 at 12:47 AM

Maybe he can move on to sowing dissension amongst the Blue Collar Comedy Tour until he gets a spot on the show.

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:49 AM

McCain’s VP choice will be Governor Matt Blunt.

O-Dub on August 29, 2008 at 12:50 AM

O-Dub on August 29, 2008 at 12:50 AM

That’s putting it Blunt-ly!

…I’m here all week. Try the prime rib.

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:52 AM

And thus ends the American Taliban Huckabee.

hanzblinx on August 29, 2008 at 12:53 AM

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 12:49 AM

I could have sworn his candidacy was the Blue Collar Comedy Tour.

trailboss on August 29, 2008 at 12:53 AM

goat on August 28, 2008 at 11:37 PM

I did that a few times too. I think it is when I try to correct the Preview instead of the typing box…

Okay I just posted a really snarky thing (liar)

I’m sorry. I’m sure he believes that he is mostly honest. Maybe the fact that Huckabee wasn’t vetted explains why he was acting so vindictively long after the race was over. And he blamed Mitt for it. Truly feeling sorry for someone takes away a lot of anger.

I listened to Obama. The country is not going to shrivel up and die if Obama is President. I don’t think I can support him though. I just don’t share his idea of solutions.

By the way I’ve given up thinking the VP is Romney. And I’m okay with that. I’m afraid the reasons for not picking him are suspect. But things are what they are and people do what they do.

petunia on August 29, 2008 at 1:12 AM

petunia on August 29, 2008 at 1:12 AM

I think the primary was all the vetting Huck needed.

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 1:14 AM

I think the primary was all the vetting Huck needed.

thecountofincognito on August 29, 2008 at 1:14 AM

What we all needed was vet to put him down.

trailboss on August 29, 2008 at 1:20 AM

hot-heir on August 29, 2008 at 12:07 AM

When you put it that way I remember during the primary I was mad at McCain for so obiviously using Huckabee and their hate against Romney. McCain is one sly character. I do think he has the best for the Country in mind but I don’t think he is really one to be trusted. I guess that is politics you really can’t trust any of them. It is the sort of mix of slippery characters with different agendas that keep things running.

ANd I wouldn’t worry too much about all those Huck folks feeling like Hillary’s people. There just aren’t that many truly dedicated to him…I hope. But there is going to be not a few Mormons that are going to be unhappy for quite awhile. It may even cost the election in the West because I can’t see giving money or making calls. Even though I did for Bush. Partly that is the trouble. It didn’t turn out all that well.

petunia on August 29, 2008 at 1:21 AM

Is Huck not going to Ohio because he found out it’s Mitt ?

Hey! I didn’t think of that!

But seriously, I’m not going to freak out about anything that happens tomorrow the last few days were awful! With Romney out I can be more objective.

And I hate to say it but I really feel sorry for the Huck folks. I dont’ like them but I feel sorry they probably are very disappointed.

petunia on August 29, 2008 at 1:34 AM

Thank effing God.

Bill C on August 29, 2008 at 1:49 AM

“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ” (Romans 1:16)

Notice that doesn’t say: “For I am not ashamed to tell everyone that I’m a Christian.”

That’s something folks are supposed to infer.

spmat on August 29, 2008 at 2:22 AM

This tidbit of nooz makes me want to donate again to McCain.

Of course, I would very likely be fired from my job, so I guess I’ll pass.

daryl_herbert on August 29, 2008 at 2:44 AM

petunia on August 29, 2008 at 1:34 AM

I agree. As most of y’all know, I’m a huge Palin supporter. I’ve had to accept the fact that she’s 4 years away from the big-time. I can list reasons why I don’t like any other choice, but the bottom line is that Obama as POTUS is a disaster.

Hopefully, whoever McCain chooses can help him win in November.

Mr. Wednesday Night on August 29, 2008 at 3:09 AM

Thank you, God, for small favors of this sort.

{o.o}

herself on August 29, 2008 at 5:19 AM

Hopefully, whoever McCain chooses can help him win in November.

Mr. Wednesday Night on August 29, 2008 at 3:09 AM

I’ve been of the opinion that your VP choice won’t help you but can hurt you. This is why I oppose Huckabee and some others. As a Catholic (racist, bigot, homophobe – pick your perjorative)I find Mormonism odd and a little disturbing, but I can find no fault with Mitt as a man, husband, father, chief executive, administrator, etc. I don’t understand how he ever could have supported abortion, but that’s because I know so little of Mormon doctrine on that subject. That he is pro-life now is what’s important. Hell, Reagan used to be a Democrat and he saw the light. Repentance and contrition are good for the soul, and Romney, I think, is good for the ticket. Of course, this is just a bitter clinger talking.

SKYFOX on August 29, 2008 at 6:02 AM

The following was picked up from our underground wire services
————-
Our Father Below:
It has been a month since I recorded our efforts to meet the goals which you helped set for us as matters political unfold in the states calling themselves united. Our people have done very well. That political party which is largely ours has chosen one with a strong odor of Islam about him – at least about the father who gave him his name. And within this very week he announced his choice of a mate. Most attention of the nation has been drawn by our favorite ex-president and his partner who once claimed ArKANsas as home. Lots of speeches. And of course, there was attention to one who was not there. You recall that we reported our efforts and success on that fellow from North Carolina who liked $400 hair-dos; who bragged about helping the poor and needy while heaping ridicule and oppression on the near-by neighbor they are supposed to love. His recent confessions resulted in his getting no invitation, despite the attention which he has drawn. All in all, I hope that you had other things that needed your attention and that this report will satisfy the needs of our registry and record keepers. Of course, the print media has everything that you need to know and more: as you know, it is ours, even as it fades into our depths below.
Ever since you and your brother met in that grand council to get permission to attack that fellow Job, we have tried to follow your example when specially attractive targets are presented. And I want to share with you and with history, some of our efforts now. The other political party – the one which has often been aloof to our many machinations has chosen as its candidate, one who sometimes seemed as though one of ours in his treatment of others – is about to try and attract the attention of the electorate by holding its own meeting where more speeches can be made.
The entire year last past has included contests by a number of wanna-be political leaders including one especially interesting from our vantage point. He too, claims ArKANsas as his home and served time there – no, not in the penitentiary, you are so funny father. He served time in the governor’s office and even more time preaching his own brand of what he called Christianity. More on that later.
He too is a great talker. He persuaded people to give him their votes and persuaded many to give him access to their offerings at the prayer rail in his church. He got his “collar” from some school claiming authority to teach teachers. His is a common brand of religion in his part of the states and he got some votes pointing him toward nomination as President of those and the other states as the year ends. He had competition, most of which was of interest to us because of the history of their personal relations with their families and competitors to their partner services.
And now, dear Father, look at how he insulted you and me and all of us. He made great jest of the knowledge of some that you and I and all those others are brothers. And made jest and keeps playing on that chord. He has also accumulated a gang of miscreants who attack his chief opponent: the one called Mitt solely because of his religion. Some ask why he continues? Of course, they don’t know that the reverend is in our service. He has gathered a number of posters on various blog sites to attack attack attack Mitt. Nothing really specific except his religion. Rev Huckabee has friends who use names like apacalyps, and boss of this and that, deriding serious saints, and others by hiding behind codes of letters and numbers. We’ve got them in our bag, Father: we’ve got a great crowd on nay-sayers in our bag. We’ll keep our man’s ego fed and he will be back in four years, still attacking Romney for his religion. Hell to Betsy, Father below. We’ve got them. If you are anywhere near by for the next few days, hang around. It’ll be lots of fun. Oh, I saw your son and my cousin Screwtape the other day: he is doing great.
Your faithless friend and fellow sufferer, Nonesuch

ich dien on August 29, 2008 at 6:15 AM

Palin?

Lockstein13 on August 29, 2008 at 6:56 AM

I’m going to get him on the other side.

Only if ya’ll wind up in the same destination. If you get there and see St Olaf you know you’re in trouble.

peacenprosperity on August 29, 2008 at 7:03 AM

Any chance that this clown is going to finally go away after today? Any?

pilamaye on August 29, 2008 at 7:05 AM

Schmuckabee’s cult of the “Christian Leader” are not worth losing any sleep over. He who lives by bigotry dies by bigotry.

BKennedy on August 29, 2008 at 7:09 AM

Thank God. Now go away.

golfer1 on August 29, 2008 at 7:27 AM

Praise the lord!

TheSitRep on August 29, 2008 at 7:27 AM

Romney dropped out of the primary when the numbers greatly favored McCain. He spoke with class and has supported the McCain ticket from that time. Huckabee lacked the grace to do the same. Romney had ads that were labeled negative but I never saw him try to tear the opponents personally or denigrate their faith. I hope McCain makes a good choice. In the vetting, he would have far more information than any of us about the individuals. I will accept whomever McCain names.

Pat in NC on August 29, 2008 at 7:55 AM

“Not going to be in Dayton”

Yeah, right.

CHUCK NORRIS TAUGHT HIM THE “TWO PLACES AT ONCE” TRICK.

marklmail on August 29, 2008 at 8:22 AM

Dear Lord!

It’s confirmed! The majority of commenters at this blog are truly representative of a party of hate.

Al-Ozarka on August 29, 2008 at 9:17 AM

Yes indeed for the Lord said, “Thou shalt hate evil.”

ich dien on August 29, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Mike Huckabee is a joke.

HebrewToYou on August 29, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Ich dien,

You confirm it even further.

Al-Ozarka on August 29, 2008 at 12:49 PM