Video: Obama and Ayers, the “Hype” trailer; Update: Unrepentant terrorist and unrepentant liar

posted at 1:18 pm on August 27, 2008 by Allahpundit

It’s not a trailer, actually. It’s a snippet from the film itself, premiering next week in Minneapolis during the convention and produced by Citizens United, the conservative outfit led by former Whitewater investigator David Bossie that attacked Maverick with a “McCain = Hillary” ad during the primaries. Nothing here you don’t already know but plenty here that the average voter doesn’t, so expect it to draw the usual hysterical denunciations-sans-arguments from the left eager to kill the meme but without any effective rebuttal to the charge. Ayers is much more dangerous for Obama than Rezko is, I think: The public’s not going to reject a guy for engaging in the sort of petty graft which they assume all politicians engage in, but hobnobbing with terrorists is a different matter. Absent any defense of his actions better than the idiotic point that he was only eight when Ayers committed his crimes, the Democrats are going to have to find someone in McCain’s own orbit with whom they can pull a tu quoque. Although even there, they’ll run up against his POW Absolute Moral Authority (assuming he hasn’t used it all up on silly defenses by then).

For your companion reading, try Fox News’s report of its 2004 interview with Ayers if you missed it last night. Sure, the Weathermen were terrorists, but they were “driven by hope and love and aspiration as much as we were driven by despair” so everything’s cool. He also insists that the bombs they set were calculated so as not to harm anyone, a claim Fox seems to take at his word. Really? Who killed Sgt. Brian McDonnell, then?

Comments

Looks like NRO is picking up on the murder component. This is a HUGE deal if this begins to get traction.

It is one thing for folks to think that the Weather Underground wanted to destroy property, it is quite another to realize that the organization progressed to the point of wanting to murder servicemen.

What we need is a new ad that focuses on the point that Ayers et al wanted to bomb servicemen. It would work especially well if veterans from Iraq or Afghanistan help bring the point home that that’s what our enemies have done and the terrible cost of American lives.

Have a vet or two talk about bombings that they lived through or cost the lives of people they know and ask what they think of a Presidential wanna-be that is on friendly terms with such a terrorist.

If an ad like that hits the air in major markets it is all over.

moxie_neanderthal on August 27, 2008 at 3:57 PM

This looks like a really good and informative video, but will anybody watch it?

The RNC should have a theme for each night next week that includes “Defeating Terrorism, At Home and Abroad” to hammer Obama on Ayers, Iran, Russia etc.

El_Terrible on August 27, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Yawn. Senator Obama was a child when this happened.

philnewkirk on August 27, 2008 at 3:35 PM

It would be yawnworthy if he had repented or done his time. He never did. He’s never changed his mind.

Obama said in his autobiography that “I chose my friends carefully.” OK, dude, but when and why did you stop?

DrSteve on August 27, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Doesn’t matter to me.

philnewkirk on August 27, 2008 at 3:43 PM

You’re kidding right? Do you think the family of the dead officer would agree with you?

I’ve seen some interesting political times as a former resident of San Francisco and Obama has made a huge mistake in taking the low road with Ayers. Some will say they don’t mind that O has been the recipient of favors from politically motivated folks and some will say they don’t mind living under an administration that wants to mandate every aspect of our lives and some will say they don’t care if O has an affiliation with people who hate the country he aspires to lead….BUT, I don’t think very many Americans will be happy when they find out that O handles all his political missteps by filing legal actions to restrict other Americans right to speak. Nope, I think he’s jumped off the bridge with this one. You have to wonder who is supporting the actions to suppress our first Amendment rights….

Update: There is good news in Obama campaign demands to the DOJ to investigate donors supporting the video that reveals the truth about Obama/Ayers. It will mean that if the DOJ does the demanded investigation they will be required to start with the much larger number of contributors on the Dem side….Soros, etal. I can’t wait to hear all about it.

SayWhat on August 27, 2008 at 4:02 PM

OBAMA’S ASTROLOGICAL SIGN: Ayeries.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 27, 2008 at 4:11 PM

The Huckabee quote at the end wasn’t necessary and taints this as overtly political. It’s obviously political anyway, but it doesn’t have to be overtly so. I love the information and it’s right on. I loved the presentation right up until that point, though.

PersonalLiberty on August 27, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Could Obama get a job at the FBI, CIA or even become an airport security guard “package checker” with these kind of associations?

Chakra Hammer on August 27, 2008 at 4:32 PM

That anyone in the Republican party continues to have Mike Huckabee in anything totally blows up the arguement! Mike Huckabee’s presence takes away all credability to any arguement. That is a big big mistake.

petunia on August 27, 2008 at 1:38 PM

I agree. Huckabee’s presence did not add a thing. In fact it made it seem even more partisan. If I had been an undecided watching this video, I would have thought that this is pretty damning stuff, and wonder who the guy sitting in a chair is and how did he learn all this stuff. Then Huck shows up and I think, “OOHHHH this is a republican video, I’ll have to take this with a grain of salt.”

I don’t like Huckabee at all, but I don’t think this video would have been better with Romney in Huck’s place.

DWSC on August 27, 2008 at 4:34 PM

DWSC on August 27, 2008 at 4:34 PM

yea, and Romney would have made it a Non-partisan ad.. LOL

Chakra Hammer on August 27, 2008 at 4:38 PM

yea, and Romney would have made it a Non-partisan ad.. LOL

Chakra Hammer on August 27, 2008 at 4:38 PM

No way to make this a “non-partisan” ad….not one democrat has condemned Barry allying himself with a domestic terrorist.

sven10077 on August 27, 2008 at 4:40 PM

darn it

sven10077 on August 27, 2008 at 4:40 PM

sven10077 on August 27, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Nope, hillary was dumb.

She did however call Rezko a slumlord.

Chakra Hammer on August 27, 2008 at 4:41 PM

“It just amazes me how quick those of the (I hate this phrase) “baby boom” generation are to forgive and forget the jerks and societal misfits like Ayers, Bernadine Dohrn and Angela Davis… What is it with people of my age group?” Duane

They were fed a steady diet of ethical subjectivism – the view that ‘anything goes’ morally – whose modern origins began in the late 18th century with Hume and continued for another 150 years. After a few generations of that philosophy, unopposed by anything better, the practical effects ultimately take hold.

JDPerren on August 27, 2008 at 4:49 PM

sven10077 on August 27, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Nor has any other Demon-rat disavowed or distanced themselves from the terrorists (Ayers/Dohrn) either.

Don Carne on August 27, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Don Carne on August 27, 2008 at 5:18 PM

quite, all hell may not be breaking loose but we may be finally at the gates thereof.

Which is to say the donks don’t seem to have an issue with political violence as long as the (d) is in the perp’s heart…..they better pray the right doesn’t reciprocate and we should all pray for decency amongst our leaders.

sven10077 on August 27, 2008 at 5:20 PM

…the donks don’t seem to have an issue with political violence as long as the (d) is in the perp’s heart…..they better pray the right doesn’t reciprocate and we should all pray for decency amongst our leaders.

sven10077 on August 27, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Agreed, but it doesn’t seem to be happening on the sinister side of the aisle.
BTW since the left started shooting first when can we shoot back? Or is that question too dangerous/hateful/insane to ask?

Don Carne on August 27, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Agreed, but it doesn’t seem to be happening on the sinister side of the aisle.

Don Carne on August 27, 2008 at 5:38 PM

“above my paygrade”…..

or as one of my favorite sayings goes…..

“beware the fury of patient men”

sven10077 on August 27, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Powerful, it will resonate with all but the hard left, particularly with middle America.
David

LifeTrek on August 27, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Cool saying.
My favorite is “A thousand throats can be slit in one night by a running man.” Kinda like Ace’s Meneken quote, but writ large.

Don Carne on August 27, 2008 at 5:57 PM

DrSteve on August 27, 2008 at 4:01 PM

He never did stop. Ayers, Wright, Pfleger, Meeks, Rezko were all chosen carefully. I think that tells us a lot about Obama.

funky chicken on August 27, 2008 at 6:02 PM

funky chicken on August 27, 2008 at 6:02 PM

yup these people were his buddies concurrently….

rockstar “revolutionary wannabe”….

sven10077 on August 27, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Recreate ’68. It’s so O’Bama

Don Carne on August 27, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Barry stammers because he is a frickin LIAR.

If it were the republican, the media networks would be all over his body language and stammering, because he is OBVIOUSLY LYING.

This is emblematic of the dishonest left, their policy of subterfuge and deception.

Lovely.

benrand on August 27, 2008 at 6:40 PM

How about interviewing the guy who was 9 when Ayers’ gang tried to burn his family to death in their home. Or perhaps a short interview of any one of the 9 children who fathers were murdered by these people.

This is just a shot across the bow and has the potential to blow his whole campaign out of the water.

I’d suggest the ads hit harder and actually interview the people who were most effected by these terrorists.

It can only get worse for Obama.

moxie_neanderthal on August 27, 2008 at 7:27 PM

I just can’t believe that this Ayers thing hasn’t been enough to immediately diqualify him in 100% of rational, sane minds. That this guy is ‘it’ is boggling. There can be zero ‘benefit of the doubt’ afforded anyone that votes for Obama – they’re disgustingly bobbleheaded nitwits – *at best*. At worst, they are America-hating and evil.

Midas on August 27, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Yawn. Senator Obama was a child when this happened.- philnewkirk on August 27, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Back to the tape:

Jim Geraghty: Barack Obama is saying take me at my judgement. Well his judgement puts him in bed with Ayers and Jeremiah Wright . What more do we need to see, you know what this may not be the judgement we want in the oval office.

Ayers and Dohrn headed the violent terrorist organization “The Weathermen” with over twenty bombings in a decade with four deaths. The Weathermen’s philosophy was:

Kill all the rich people. Break up their cars and apartments. Bring the revolution home, Kill your parents.”

Grounded in identity politics, Weatherman ideology and rhetoric rebelled against what later came to be known as America’s “white skin privilege.”

Unfortunately, today we have ‘respected’ journalists like Time Magazine‘s Michael Kinsley white washing away uncomfortable truths:

“Ayers and Dohrn never posed any real threat to U.S. national security.”

snip

When it became clear even to them that there would not be violent revolution in America, Ayers and Dohrn shrugged and rejoined society in Chicago, where he had grown up. It wasn’t difficult. While he was in hiding, his father was CEO of Commonwealth Edison, the big utility. Ayers the elder sat on every Establishment board in town– Northwestern, the Tribune Co., the Chicago Symphony. Ayers the younger and his wife were welcomed back into the fold. This is the second insult that emerges from the story of Bill and Bernardine. They set off bombs and talked about killing their parents, and the Chicago establishment didn’t even care.

Kinsley also writes,

Other charges against Ayers and Dohrn were dropped because the evidence was tainted by the Nixon Administration’s illegal wiretaps.

Ain’t politics grand? Without blinking an eye, Dohrn and Ayers are offered and they each take full advantage of “white skin privilege” clemency.
***
About those wiretaps:

The connection between Ayers and W.Mark Felt, otherwise known as Deep Throat, the formerly anonymous source who helped Woodward and Bernstein write the stories that led to the fall of Richard Nixon. Deep Throat is a hero to the left for his courageous feeding of information to the Washington Post reporters. However, before he revealed his identity W. Mark Felt was a reviled figure by the left. Felt was an FBI agent who authorized illegal break-ins “black bag operations,” against the friends and families of Weather Underground members like Ayers and Dohrn. Felt was tried and convicted of violating their civil rights, but was later pardoned by Ronald Reagan.

Ayers put it well:

“Guilty as hell, and free as a bird. It’s a great country.”

heroyalwhyness on August 27, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Obama has got to scurry, bob and weave, ’cause this is his one chance, he’ll never be able to run again.

Dusty on August 27, 2008 at 8:22 PM

I think this is just mudslinging. Obama was a child when this happened.

philnewkirk on August 27, 2008 at 8:38 PM

The extreme hatred of Bush trumps any wrongdoing in the past by people like Ayers or Dorn. It’s all about getting someone in office they can control at all costs. Does anyone honestly think that with the Obamessiah in office, he will go against the Soros-led-left? The problem is that there are many non-thinking people that vote, who are duped by this unqualified phoney because of his skin color and hopeychangey drivel. Its interesting how nothing is mentioned about his other race (white).

kyarnes on August 27, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Soros is a good man. I can’t question anyone who wants to legalize bud.

philnewkirk on August 27, 2008 at 8:57 PM

See, back to my prior post about this in this thread; i just shared this video on another board, and the response from one of the resident lefties was, “Nah, this isn’t right – Obama only served on a board with the guy – nothing here.”

Okay, question: is this resident lefty a) stupid, or b) dishonest? There is no ‘c’.

Midas on August 27, 2008 at 9:05 PM

It’s amazing to me that Ayers’ horrible comment about “I wish I had done more” appeared in the newspapers on 9/11. It’s as if the universal hand of justice was showing us the kinship of him and the jihadis.

PattyJ on August 27, 2008 at 9:12 PM

What I want to see is Jason Mattera ask some of those loosers at the DNC about Ayers. Totally willing to bet that when informed of his actions and ideas they’d hold him up as some hero/icon. I’m just glad that most libs are gutless cowards not capable of going through with this Ayers anarchy crap.

toleratethis on August 27, 2008 at 10:02 PM

I think this is just mudslinging. Obama was a child when this happened.

philnewkirk on August 27, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Irrelevant. Do you believe Obama didn’t know about Ayers’ past when he launched his campaign from his house? Why won’t he fully denounce Ayers, even now?

If you do, your state of denial is complete.

fossten on August 27, 2008 at 10:06 PM

I think this is just mudslinging. Obama was a child when this happened.

philnewkirk on August 27, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Look at it this way, Phil: The last time the Nazis were a genuine threat was 1945. I wasn’t even a twinkle in my then 8-year-old father’s eye. But if I were to associate with them and their progeny now, what would that make me? What kind of person would you assume or expect me to be? This is exactly how Obama looks by associating with, hell, embracing a known terrorist leader. Obama is using his ties to Bill Ayers as inspiration and political expedience. Sorry, but it isn’t just mudslinging.

BillH on August 27, 2008 at 10:28 PM

I think this is just mudslinging. Obama was a child when this happened.

philnewkirk on August 27, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Soros is a good man. I can’t question anyone who wants to legalize bud.

philnewkirk on August 27, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Thanks for opening the door the other day Hot Air. We got us some real winners this time around.

Big John on August 27, 2008 at 11:16 PM

The Obama supporters I have talked to are all decent, compassionate, seemingly rational people. They all dismiss this kind of information as being irrelevant or taken out of context or blown out of proportion. I’m beginning to think there is no antidote to the Kool-Aid.

SheofTwoMinds on August 27, 2008 at 11:24 PM

SheofTwoMinds on August 27, 2008 at 11:24 PM

I think it is because we are very independent-minded and so take a lot of these smears with a grain of salt.

As a conservative Obama supporter, I would actively work to make sure Obama comes nowhere near the White House if I believed there was any truth to the smears.

philnewkirk on August 27, 2008 at 11:59 PM

As a conservative Obama supporter

philnewkirk on August 27, 2008 at 11:59 PM

Which positions of Obama’s do you support as a conservative?

SheofTwoMinds on August 28, 2008 at 12:08 AM

petunia on August 27, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Hear, hear.

Aeschylus on August 28, 2008 at 12:11 AM

I think this is just mudslinging. Obama was a child when this happened.

It happened when Obama was a child, but SIX years AFTER Ayers helped launch Obama’s political career, Ayers STILL said (in 2001) “I don’t regret what I did. We should have done more.” And “guilty as sin; free as a bird.”

And Obama’s ONLY executive experience was as Chmn of the Board of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge – a gig Ayers assuredly had something to do with Obama getting. CAC gave out $100M in grants to supposedly improve or radically change public education in Chicago – yet it’s not ever mentioned by the Obama campaign – an amazing omission, given how painfully thin Obama’s resume is to be CinC and POTUS.

There’s WAY more to this story than Obama’s statement that Ayers is just “some guy in the neighborhood I know”, or even that Ayers is an unrepentant terrorist.

avwh on August 28, 2008 at 12:31 AM

As I’ve said above, I don’t care.

philnewkirk on August 28, 2008 at 12:35 AM

As a conservative Obama supporter

philnewkirk on August 27, 2008 at 11:59 PM

Which positions of Obama’s do you support as a conservative?

SheofTwoMinds on August 28, 2008 at 12:08 AM

His commitment to social and economic justice. I was trained by my church to always support the leaders in life who make social and economic justice their number one priority.

philnewkirk on August 28, 2008 at 12:39 AM

philnewkirk on August 28, 2008 at 12:39 AM

I realize this is an oversimplification, but in general, don’t conservatives believe in directly and voluntarily helping the less fortunate while liberals attempt to achieve this end through government programs? I was hoping to learn how your support for Obama reflects your conservative beliefs.

Regarding social justice, I’m always interested in what a candidate will do on behalf of the many women who are exploited by the abortion industry, not to mention the babies who lose their lives in order to line someone’s pockets. Most Democrat policies tend to do a better job of protecting the abortionists rather than the mothers and their children.

SheofTwoMinds on August 28, 2008 at 1:26 AM

Well, I’m pro-life but there is more to social and economic justice than abortion and wasteful government programs. I have always been taught by the church to help the least among us, and use all resources at our disposal. If that’s not conservative, I don’t know what is.

philnewkirk on August 28, 2008 at 2:24 AM

Soros is a good man. I can’t question anyone who wants to legalize bud.

philnewkirk on August 27, 2008 at 8:57 PM

As a conservative Obama supporter

philnewkirk on August 27, 2008 at 11:59 PM

So your a conservative? Contradictions.

Johan Klaus on August 28, 2008 at 2:46 AM

philnewkirk on August 28, 2008 at 2:24 AM

And get stoned?

Johan Klaus on August 28, 2008 at 2:47 AM

Of course, the nails that the ” weathermen ” put in their bombs were really for remodeling.

Johan Klaus on August 28, 2008 at 2:54 AM

“Update: I missed Andy McCarthy’s evisceration of Ayers’s lies about his true intentions as a Weatherman this morning. Essential.”

It’s gone.