Obama’s temple for the Cult of Personality; The father of American democracy?

posted at 9:45 am on August 27, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Fausta made this connection before I did, and combined with the so-called “sign of progress”, Barack Obama may be better suited to run for the presidency of the United Federation of Planets than the USA.  Allahpundit reported last night on the plans for Obama to deliver his acceptance speech in front of a fake Greek temple, and John McCormack has the picture:

That this scales heights of presumptuousness can hardly be refuted.  What genius thought of this motif?  Probably the same one that concocted Vero Possumus and the Fleeing Eagle.  It’s a paean to an ego run amuck — and if American voters wondered about the cult of personality that Obama has inspired, this settles the question and explicitly makes Obama the cult leader.

At least their taste in Star Trek episodes has improved.  While their “sign of progress” was lifted from one of the dumbest entries in the original-series catalog, this set comes straight from one of their more intriguing episodes, “Who Mourns For Adonis?”

The parallels are interesting, at least. Obama wants to treat us the way Apollo treated the Enterprise crew — as children who need do nothing but gather food and worship him. He promises them peace, tranquility, and happiness, as long as they agree to become his servants and relinquish their free will. In the end, Kirk and his crew destroy his power source and send him off to his fellow demigods in bitterness rather than allow themselves to become enslaved to Apollo.

Somehow, I think that American voters will understand those parallels, even if they’ve never seen this episode before in their lives. (post photo from Political Inquirer, via Power Line)

Update: No, it’s not a reference to the Lincoln Memorial either.  That has a straight line of columns, not curved as in the set in Denver:

Some have written and commented that Obama wants to reference Athens as the birthplace of democracy. That’s almost as bad as the reference to Greek temples.  Is Obama styling himself as the father of American democracy?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

The Parthenon was disqualified because is lacks the seating

moxie_neanderthal on August 27, 2008 at 1:18 PM

No WiFi, too.

Greg Toombs on August 27, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Rush’s New World Man could be in contention along with Cult of Personality as the O’s theme song:

He’s a rebel and a runner
He’s a signal turning green
He’s a restless young romantic
Wants to run the big machine

He’s got a problem with his poisons
But you know he’ll find a cure
He’s cleaning up his systems
To keep his nature pure

Learning to match the beat of the old world man
Learning to catch the heat of the third world man

He’s got to make his own mistakes
And learn to mend the mess he makes
He’s old enough to know whats right
But young enough not to choose it
He’s noble enough to win the world
But weak enough to lose it —
He’s a new world man…

He’s a radio receiver
Tuned to factories and farms
He’s a writer and arranger
And a young boy bearing arms

He’s got a problem with his power
With weapons on patrol
He’s got to walk a fine line
And keep his self-control

Trying to save the day for the old world man
Trying to pave the way for the third world man

He’s not concerned with yesterday
He knows constant change is here today
He’s noble enough to know whats right
But weak enough not to choose it
Hes wise enough to win the world
But fool enough to lose it —

He’s a new world man…

scrub_oak on August 27, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Remember he has stated that he is a symbol of what American could become, so I wonder if he will paraphase MLK:

“I am a dream!”

drunyan8315 on August 27, 2008 at 2:04 PM

I think his team thinks that since Americans are fooled by the fakery of TV and movies, that they will fall for sets and costumes and acting in the political arena as well.

aero on August 27, 2008 at 1:39 PM

A few days ago the topic of Team Obama using an upside down U.S. flag with Barry’s disembodied head rising out of the blue star field came up, and it occurred to me that they regarded all our shared national symbols as nothing more than clip art. Evidently our revered national monuments are only theatrical props to them, as well.

It’s in the poorest of taste. They really are demonstrating a fundamental disrespect for Americans who hold such symbols in high regard. I’m sure the Obama campaign is looking down their noses at folks like us right now, self-superior “sophisticates” that they are, but we’ll have the last laugh.

On the morning of November 5. When we welcome our new President-elect, John McCain.

Gilda on August 27, 2008 at 2:05 PM

drunyan8315 on August 27, 2008 at 2:04 PM

If he’s elected it’ll certanly be a nightmare.

crazy_legs on August 27, 2008 at 2:06 PM

From a distance it reminds me of Spinal Tap’s “Stonehenge” failure.

nottakingsides on August 27, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Well, every “god” needs a temple….so does Obamus Minimus.

Leave the poor bastard alone!

heh heh

Pulchritudinous Patriot on August 27, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Isn’t Soros Greek?

LibTired on August 27, 2008 at 2:17 PM

It is more than disrespect, it is complete alienation. They people around Obama, and I daresay Obama himself, don’t have the same connection to these symbols as the rest of us to. And I don’t care how you spin it, alphabet networks, this is only the latest in a series of slips that show me he is not a heartfelt American, and neither is his wife.

The deal is off. True, for me it was never on, but I hope it is off for many who need a slightly larger 2X4 hit to wake up than I did.

drunyan8315 on August 27, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Karl Rove is obviously behind all of this.

trigon on August 27, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Isn’t Soros Greek?

LibTired on August 27, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Hungarian

Wethal on August 27, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Reminds me of the movie Bird Cage with Robin Williams

wepeople on August 27, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Darn. I thought I was onto something.

LibTired on August 27, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Toga Toga Toga…

Dr Evil on August 27, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Demagogue. noun

1. a person, esp. an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.

2. Barack Obama

drunyan8315 on August 27, 2008 at 2:25 PM

In the New Latin, “Rewscray Ouyay”

Hening on August 27, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Barackus EgoCollusius Obaminus must have such trappings to dispense wisdom that can only come from one such as He! Obaminus…Obaminus…Obaminus…

sabbott on August 27, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Obamus Husseinus Maximus will arrive after he visits with the Goracle of Nobelius.

..and Bidenixus, the elderly honkey slave rode in his chariot whispering, “Remember thou art Barry, Remember thou art Barry”

Hening on August 27, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Of course he had to build his own. This one isn’t back up yet.

- The Cat

MirCat on August 27, 2008 at 3:05 PM

The fact remains that the only thing Barack Obama has run is his mouth.

blackrepublican on August 27, 2008 at 3:08 PM

From a distance it reminds me of Spinal Tap’s “Stonehenge” failure.

nottakingsides on August 27, 2008 at 2:07 PM

‘ > “

pseudonominus on August 27, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Of course he had to build his own. This one isn’t back up yet.

- The Cat

Exactly what was passing through my icked-out mind….

2Th 2:4 who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God.

bperiwinkle on August 27, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Is this the 2008 version of Kerry dressed up like an oompah loompah or Dukakis sticking his tiny little head out of a tank or Howard Dean screaming? A moment so ludicrous that it matters in turning the tide in an election away from the candidate?

highhopes on August 27, 2008 at 3:12 PM

scrub_oak on August 27, 2008 at 1:59 PM

I haven’t listened Rush in years. I think I’ll go dig up my cassettes now. Thanks.

shick on August 27, 2008 at 3:12 PM

I understand that Zeus will be officiating. Should be lovely.

nocomme1 on August 27, 2008 at 3:16 PM

“Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance and a deep need for admiration. They believe that they’re superior to others and have little regard for other people’s feelings. But behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.”
Quoted from Mayo Clinic’s website.

I know I am not the first to mention this, but with the entire Olympus thing going on I think restating it would not hurt.

Nathan_OH on August 27, 2008 at 3:17 PM

“The trouble with Tribbles” is that the will vote for this clown.

hanoverfist on August 27, 2008 at 3:17 PM

The big pile of white stuff in front of the stage is the blow they promised to Bill Clinton if he sticks around for the speech.

ErikTheRed on August 27, 2008 at 12:57 PM

When you cited Bill and blow, were you referring to the vestal virgins?

Laura in Maryland on August 27, 2008 at 3:22 PM

You gotta be kidding…………….

no, really, you gotta be kidding……….

I’ve seen some wierd sh+t in watching American politics for over 40 years, but nothing like this

===I thought Soros was a Bohunk Like Me ( Magyar, or “Hungarian” ), not Greek, so even though Obama is the Tool of Soros and a few other shadowy super-donors you can’t make that tenuous link

Janos Hunyadi on August 27, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Will Ceasar Obama Electus have lions roaming the coliseum in search of dissidents.? It is written,so let it be done!

Marines for Mccain on August 27, 2008 at 3:40 PM

I saw the guy who played Apollo on TOS at a Star Trek convention (no, I’m not a Trekkie, or a Trekker, or anything like that…but I was there with someone who was) and he winked at me. Had to be pushing 60, but still hot. LOL

As for Obama and his glassy-eyed supporters, this just gets more and more funny.

capitalist piglet on August 27, 2008 at 4:02 PM

I’ve heard some weird paranoid theories about Obama but this is the first I’ve seen you participate in it. It has a slight curve, so what? It is clearly supposed to resemble the Lincoln Memorial and here’s why:

* It’s the 40th anniversary of the “I Have A Dream” speech.

* MLK gave the speech at the Lincoln Memorial.

I mean, COME ON! This is common sense, why the hell would he just randomly throw in Greek columns?

Typhonsentra on August 27, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Okay so it is possible that his true followers don’t see the hubris. In fact–it is a fact that they don’t see the hubris. So that means they can’t fix what they don’t see. So McCain wins in the end!

Yeah sure. It’s not at all presumeous to pretend to be Lincoln or MLK… Keep explaining–it just gets better.

petunia on August 27, 2008 at 4:21 PM

How is he going to talk to the the people behind the pillars?

thats a dumb set-up.

Chakra Hammer on August 27, 2008 at 4:23 PM

I am ROTF howling. The comments say it all. Except the one about Karl Rove…he’s way to politically savvy to make a Parthanon blunder like this.

NOBAMA!!!!

SayWhat on August 27, 2008 at 4:25 PM

They just can’t help themselves.

November will be the intervention.

moxie_neanderthal on August 27, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Where is the tomb and the rock from which HE will emerge?

moxie_neanderthal on August 27, 2008 at 5:09 PM

I think they should save this prop and set it up in front of the mansion in Chicage. They can play White House come November when they loose.

EyesOpen on August 27, 2008 at 5:22 PM

How is he going to talk to the the people behind the pillars?

thats a dumb set-up.

Chakra Hammer on August 27, 2008 at 4:23 PM

I think he’ll be out on the peninsula-looking thing.

aero on August 27, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Has anyone heard anything lately about Obama’s “Civilian Military Force”?
He mentioned it in a speech in Colorado in July.
Will they wear Brownshirts?

Fartnokker on August 27, 2008 at 5:33 PM

When I first heard about this, I thought it might be a joke. It is so silly and tacky and over the top. For most of us there is this little voice that tells us when we have gone too far. It seems that voice does not exist for Obama and his campaign.

Terrye on August 27, 2008 at 5:35 PM

The ancient Greeks invented Democracy and founded Western Civilization and this moron thinks he is on par with them!?! Our Founding Fathers spent years crafting our republican form of government during and after the Revolution and this egomaniac thinks he is on par with them!?! I am certain that Pericles, Themosticles, Ben Franklin, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson are spinning in their graves crying out, “Would someone please b@%ch slap some some sense into this uppity fool!”.

Bubba Redneck on August 27, 2008 at 5:44 PM

petunia on August 27, 2008 at 4:21 PM

I agree, petunia. It’s not presumptuous at all for Obama to try and cast himself as MLK on the anniversary of MLK’s famous speech at the Lincoln Memorial. After all, Obama has so many claims to MLK’s legacy, doesn’t he? As Obama himself told us, his parents conceived him in 1960, right after they were inspired by the 1965 civil rights march in Selma.

And like MLK, Obama has sacrificed so much to advance the cause of civil rights in this country, hasn’t he? He’s done . . . uh . . . wait, there must be something . . . oh, I know, Obama has opposed all those civil rights initiatives on state ballots (the ones that say that a person’s race or gender cannot be used to give that person an advantage in the awarding of state contracts or jobs or admissions to state colleges). Obama’s battles against all those “divisive” (as he calls them) state civil rights initiatives has really helped fulfill Dr. King’s dream that we should all be judged on the content of our character, and not the color of our skin, right?

After all the work Obama has done to ensure that MLK’s dream lives on, it’s only fair that Obama gets to play him on t.v. tomorrow night.

AZCoyote on August 27, 2008 at 5:47 PM

WHAT A F&*^KING, GRADE-A, NUMBER ONE A&&HOLIC MEGLOMANIAC!!!!!!!!

…..and I am being kind.

Bubba Redneck on August 27, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Isn’t Soros Greek?

LibTired on August 27, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Hungarian

Wethal on August 27, 2008 at 2:20 PM

No, Greek I thought.

Bubba Redneck on August 27, 2008 at 5:50 PM

If Obama were so great, he wouldn’t need any additional props: his ideas and reasoned arguments would move us all. It’s only people who either have nothing to offer or no confidence in their own ideas that have to use outside influences, such as: speaking with a louder voice; introducing race or gender into the equation; using props; accompaniment of music; swearing or using “shocking” language; threats or promises of reward; anything that distracts one from the tenets of his/her policy ideas.
As it stands, despite all of the irrelevant candy coating, he’s nothing but an insecure, incompetent megalomaniac, the product of a generation who values not great ideas or excellence, but superficiality and hedonistic pursuits.

Send_Me on August 27, 2008 at 5:52 PM

It’s a different television series altogether. This is the pilot episode for “Pimp My Speech.”

laelaps on August 27, 2008 at 6:02 PM

I just never though I would see something like this in my life in this country. The Clintons were bad enough. I know Hillary thought of herself as Evita, but I don’t remember either of the Clintons portraying themselves as gods

This guy is really thinking of himself as some type of god like being/blessing to the world?? This is humorous and scary at the same time!

JellyToast on August 27, 2008 at 6:17 PM

NOBAMA!!!!

SayWhat on August 27, 2008 at 4:25 PM

You miss my point. This whole thing is so lame, it could only be an evil republican plot by that mastermind Karl Rove. I think it’s possible that he’s established some sort of mind-control over Obumble’s advisors. The man is a genius!

trigon on August 27, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Ed – Is Obama styling himself as the father of American democracy?

You mean “Democracy“…as in German Democratic Republic?!!?

Lockstein13 on August 27, 2008 at 8:03 PM

Soros ( puppet-master of The Messiah ) was born in Hungary in 1930. Emigrated to England, then America,

Not Greek……

Janos Hunyadi on August 27, 2008 at 8:24 PM

The annointing of the son of Satan.

madmonkphotog on August 27, 2008 at 8:40 PM

New heights of flim flammery being reached every day!!

jeanie on August 27, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Obama has become a national joke. The man is a fool.

UnEasyRider on August 27, 2008 at 9:19 PM

I see now why they wanted to suspend arresting people for reefer smoking in the Mile High City Denver during the convention… worship of FauxBama will no doubt involve lots of ritual ganja use.

Just how much would you have to smoke to want to vote for this dud?

electric-rascal on August 28, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Hmm, Greek/Roman/neoclassical columns. How pretentious.

2004

Also 2004

skylark on August 28, 2008 at 12:41 AM

Is Obama styling himself as the father of American democracy?

Sure, it begins with the first black president. Michelle O. said so.

Berlin was the beginning, this will be the end. Those in attendance won’t matter and the ones at home will know what “too much” means. Americans don’t like this. It’s the ultimate fakery. It’s even beyond Hollywood.

Axelrod will have to eat this temple. He’s guilty of the megalomania which fits Obama to perfection.

All of it is risible.

Entelechy on August 28, 2008 at 1:09 AM

Larger version of the Obama Emperor pic that linked to this story: http://tinyurl.com/693ran

electric-rascal on August 28, 2008 at 1:22 AM

Obama’s “Triumph des Willens”

moxie_neanderthal on August 28, 2008 at 2:23 AM

The Temple of Obama

coldshot on August 28, 2008 at 4:36 AM

How many people are going to show up wearing a toga? Better yet, how many TV reporters are going to show up wearing one? I emailed Griff Jenkins with my suggestion.

eigafan on August 28, 2008 at 5:10 AM

I posted this in another thread, but it really belongs here:

Acts 12:

21 And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them.

22 And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man.

23 And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.

fossten on August 28, 2008 at 9:42 AM

TOGA, TOGA, TOGA, now for a “Road Trip”.

Isn’t it time to grow up?

MSGTAS on August 28, 2008 at 10:23 AM