Conservative Dems bailing on Obama; Rasmussen has no Michelle O bounce

posted at 10:45 am on August 27, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama has had an unprecedented slide in polling over the summer, losing as much as twelve points nationally and squandering momentum gained from besting Hillary Clinton in the primaries.  Gallup’s polling has mirrored that of almost every other national survey, and they drill down to find the answer to Obama’s decline:

Barack Obama has been struggling to maintain his Democratic base thus far in August, and according to weekly averages of Gallup Poll Daily tracking, the problem seems to be with conservative Democrats.

Within the Democratic Party, Obama’s losses are primarily evident among the relatively small group that describes its political views as conservative. The 63% of conservative Democrats supporting Obama over McCain in Aug. 18-24 polling is the lowest Obama has earned since he clinched the Democratic nomination in June. At the same time, there have been no similar drops in support for Obama in the preferences of liberal or moderate Democrats.

As a result of this, support for Obama among all Democratic registered voters fell from 81% in early August (Aug. 4-10) to 78% last week (Aug. 18-24). Obama’s support from Republicans over this period also dipped from 9% to 7%, while 42% to 43% of independents have consistently supported him.

It’s not just conservative Democrats, either, although that has to be Obama’s main concern at the moment.  Blue-dog Democrats have to run for tough Congressional races in the fall, and they will get linked to Obama regardless of whether they publicly embrace him or not.  If Obama is losing credibility among conservative Democrats, the Blue Dogs will find that Obama’s impact on their race will become a net negative and could cost some of them their seats — most of which they won from Republicans in 2006.

Obama also have troubles with moderate and liberal Republicans.  At the beginning of the summer, 20% of these voters supported Obama, according to Gallup.  Now that has dropped to 13% and has dropped sharply from the time Obama traveled to Berlin.  In fact, the graph looks like a straight line from mid-July to today.

Married women have also begun rethinking their support for Obama.  He has lost seven points in two weeks in this demographic, and three points among unmarried women as well, although he still has a bare majority of the latter.

So who does this leave?  Liberal Democrats.  Obama has to hope that there are enough of those to carry him to victory, but as we can already see, that hasn’t kept him in the lead even during a summer when he should be trouncing McCain.  His strategies of tacking towards the center and flip-flopping on numerous issues hasn’t bought him any credibility with centrists and moderates, and in fact has undermined his campaign, perhaps fatally.  Democrats may have to work to contain the damage of an Obama collapse, instead of preparing for a presidential party in November.

Addendum: Allahpundit forwarded me today’s Rasmussen tracking poll, which includes surveys taken yesterday after Day 1 of the Democratic convention:

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows Barack Obama and John McCain each attracting 44% of the vote for the second straight day. When “leaners” are included, though, McCain picked up another point since yesterday and now has a statistically insignificant one-point advantage over Obama, 47% to 46%.

This is the first time since August 9 that McCain has held any advantage over Obama. The candidates have been within two points of each other on every day but two for the past month.

The tracking poll calculates surveys over a rolling three-day period.  This poll would include data from Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.  A gain by McCain today means that two events from which Obama would have hoped to garner a boost fizzled: the Joe Biden pick and Michelle Obama’s speech on Monday evening.

Comments

Cool cat bounce to dead cat bounce in six months.

RBMN on August 27, 2008 at 10:48 AM

McCain has a bigger tent than Barry. Come on in!

RobCon on August 27, 2008 at 10:48 AM

What iceberg? I don’t see no stinkin’ iceberg!

Tony737 on August 27, 2008 at 10:48 AM

“Slip sliding away…slip sliding away…The more you reach your destination the more your slip sliding away.” — Paul Simon

Disturb the Universe on August 27, 2008 at 10:49 AM

This is not the Rasmussen I once knew….

The sad thing for Barry is he has to have known he’d have to pull the con nonstop I don’t think he can get momentum back without a major McCain pratfall.

The people to blame for his issues are Keef Olderdoofus and Chrissy Matthews, ordinarily they wait until September to go into fullcourt press partisan hack mode….

I don’t think they’ve paused since last year truth be told.

People are worn out on being told “vote him or be racist” when he is only where he is because of bloc-voting anyway.

sven10077 on August 27, 2008 at 10:50 AM

So who does this leave? Liberal Democrats. Obama has to hope that there are enough of those to carry him to victory

The McGovern strategy

Vashta.Nerada on August 27, 2008 at 10:50 AM

I’m sure the temple backdrop will give him the boost he needs.

Disturb the Universe on August 27, 2008 at 10:51 AM

I can’t wait for the debates!

Mr_Magoo on August 27, 2008 at 10:51 AM

People are starting to see that the Emperor has no toga!

Star20 on August 27, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Unfortunately, McCain and republicans are banking on the other party to fail, instead of giving reasons to vote for them. With D’s faltering, why isn’t the RNC rolling out talking points to vote for R’s?

lorien1973 on August 27, 2008 at 10:51 AM

lorien1973 on August 27, 2008 at 10:51 AM

It’d be a waste and poor form to do it when Barry has a national stage to strike back in realtime. I suspect McCain will go “slightly right moderate” in tone after the afterglow of the Barrygasm wears off next week.

sven10077 on August 27, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Anyone up for a Wizard of Oz vid when they discover The Wiz behind the curtain?

“Uh, well, er,
wait a minute, I can’t hear myself think,
I must be talking – my lips are moving,
but hey I’m glad you’re fired up!”

Mr_Magoo on August 27, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Re-elect Carter/Mondale ’08

“We have Liberal Democrats. No way we could lose”

BKennedy on August 27, 2008 at 10:55 AM

I think Obama needs another fund raiser in Europe soon. That should really help with these numbers.

Loxodonta on August 27, 2008 at 10:55 AM

The Greek god speaks.
sooooooooooooooon.

subbottomfeeder on August 27, 2008 at 10:57 AM

lorien1973 on August 27, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Maybe the strategy (not that I agree with it) is: “Why stick your neck out when we’re progressing just fine doing nothing?”

I hope to see McCain get more vigorous, but perhaps many of his real positions are not acceptable to conservatives. This way, he gets the “conservative” Dems without annoying the conservative Republicans, most of whom will probably register an anti-Obama vote more than anything.

mr.blacksheep on August 27, 2008 at 10:57 AM

lorien1973 on August 27, 2008 at 10:51 AM

If you give the Dems enough rope… no point in wasting money now. Let the public focus on the vacuous nothingness which is the DNC and don’t distract them. Then hit them hard with a great VP selection of Friday, followed by ads, followed by debates…

Mr_Magoo on August 27, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Obama-can’ts.

JammieWearingFool on August 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM

mr.blacksheep on August 27, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Great point. I agree. This is sweet!

Mr_Magoo on August 27, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Don’t interfere when your enemy is busy destroying himself.

Disturb the Universe on August 27, 2008 at 10:59 AM

mr.blacksheep on August 27, 2008 at 10:57 AM

I don’t believe in banking on the failure of others for success.

I realize it’s convention week, but still. RNC is flush with cash and actually doing something productive might get people like me to open the wallet and help out. But I’m not seeing anything.

Admittedly, I’m in a solid red county here in Florida, so I may miss out on a ton of ads.

lorien1973 on August 27, 2008 at 10:59 AM

lorien1973 on August 27, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Why? Barry & Co are sinking a point a day with no intervention from Team McCain.

Vashta.Nerada on August 27, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Self-destruct sequence in 5…4…3…2…

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 27, 2008 at 11:00 AM

If BIG MAC can now just deliver a quality VP, this could be the dagger in the heart of the Obamanation…..let’s hope…

SDarchitect on August 27, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Senator Obama, appease join the readers of TNR and make a turn hard left. Please.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 27, 2008 at 11:01 AM

If you think he’s sliding in the polls now, wait until after he gives his Temple Mount acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium against that goofy looking Greek temple backdrop. Right after that, the bottom may finally fall right out of the barrel.

pilamaye on August 27, 2008 at 11:02 AM

The only bounce I think we’ll see is after that Spiderman Slam (for those familiar with the game).

desertdweller on August 27, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Serve and obey lord Obamus, and he will bestow his beneficence and graces upon us all!…

What’s that, your not buying it?…

I guess the “Wizard of Uhhs” went one pander too far!

RocketmanBob on August 27, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Did the Dems who run that party think that no one would ever find out how much of a hard leftist Barry is?

They are imbeciles, if so.

benrand on August 27, 2008 at 11:03 AM

pilamaye on August 27, 2008 at 11:02 AM

…and don’t let the dwarves trod upon the pillars, Barry

Vashta.Nerada on August 27, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Kind of scary to think of the riots that will take place when he loses the election.
Oh, was that racist? oops.

bridgetown on August 27, 2008 at 11:04 AM

As the Wolf said in Pulp Fiction, “Well let’s not start sucking each others d*cks just yet”…

There is still a long way to go, many gaffes and attack ads to experience and wade through. I’m as excited as the next guy to be ahead (with momentum), but we’re one senior moment away from losing everything. Stay sharp, McCain. Try not to f*ck-up the landing.

lionheart on August 27, 2008 at 11:04 AM

lorien1973 on August 27, 2008 at 10:51 AM

That’s like complaining in the 4th quarter with your team up by two touchdowns that they aren’t throwing deep.

TheBigOldDog on August 27, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Don’t interfere when your enemy is busy destroying himself.

Disturb the Universe on August 27, 2008 at 10:59 AM

“Then panic struck the whole army—those in the camp and field, and those in the outposts and raiding parties—and the ground shook. It was a panic sent by God.” 1 Samuel 14-15

Couldn’t resist…

Mr_Magoo on August 27, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Joe Biden: Ultimate insider. New politics of Hopenchange under the bus.

Michelle O: All the etiquette training and fake smiling could not counter the Saul Alinsky quotes in her flat speech. Epic fail.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 27, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Somebody’s chickennnnnnnnz…are coming home…..to Roost.

RushBaby on August 27, 2008 at 11:06 AM

bridgetown on August 27, 2008 at 11:04 AM

A tad racist. But I do think that the hard leftists, Marxist, Communist, socialist community organizers will play a part in whipping up a bunch of people from different ethnic backgrounds to protest this “grave injustice.”

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 27, 2008 at 11:07 AM

RushBaby on August 27, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Heh. We may not need Rev. Wright’s October surprise, RB!

Anybody get to those Annenberg papers yet?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 27, 2008 at 11:08 AM

I don’t believe in banking on the failure of others for success.

lorien1973 on August 27, 2008 at 10:59 AM

I don’t either. I think they are just staying out of the way for a few days.

Mr_Magoo on August 27, 2008 at 11:09 AM

RushBaby on August 27, 2008 at 11:06 AM

LOL!

bridgetown on August 27, 2008 at 11:09 AM

The Obamassiah has lost us independents a long time ago. Tax and spend big government is not what I’m looking for.

rbj on August 27, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Hey Klinton, is this the ‘Bridge to the 21st Century’ you built? hahahaha Hope and Change! hahaha

Tony737 on August 27, 2008 at 11:10 AM

People are starting to see that the Emperor has no toga!

Star20 on August 27, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Bwahahaha. Good one.

The more Obama slips the more the nutroots will shriek for him to fight back more and harder. Like with the Bill Ayers ad situation, traps will be opened and Obama will walk right into them in a misguided attempt not to get “swiftboated.” Can’t wait!

Gilda on August 27, 2008 at 11:10 AM

The McCain camp is still at it. Good ad. “Dangerously unprepared to be President” is gold.

So this is a good thing.

Mr_Magoo on August 27, 2008 at 11:13 AM

well Gustav looks to be on course for a direct strike on NOLA again….

I’m thinking Bush should very vocally offer Bobby Jindal whatever resources he needs and make sure this time it is a flawless FEMA/Military op with a lognet and response personell within two hours response time of the strikezone.

Having a Bobby Jindal and Ray “William Wonka esq.”(if he has any integrity) Nagin effusive with thanks in the wake of the donks whinefest will give McCain a big bounce.

Just my two pence since the donks decided to politicize disaster relief and all.

sven10077 on August 27, 2008 at 11:14 AM

So who does this leave? Liberal Democrats.

I saw this coming a mile away, even at the height of Messiah fever. When the smoke and mirrors and firework show subsides, it comes down to EXPERIENCE and POLICY. Liberal Dems are always the most delirious and delusional – it’s no coincidence he has such a huge “youth” following.

This guy never had a chance.

John the Libertarian on August 27, 2008 at 11:15 AM

This has GOT to have them worried. You name your V.P. You get a poll bounce. You have your convention. You get a poll bounce. The reason is simple. You own the news cycles for at least a few days.

I’ve been watching national politics since 1968. I have never, ever seen a negative poll bounce for these two items. Ever!

Then there is the fact that in practically every election since 1964, the Democrat was way ahead of the Republican at this point, usually into double digits. For this not to be the case has got to have them scrambling.

Marking Time on August 27, 2008 at 11:15 AM

It looks like the experience of the primaries is translating to the General. The more people see Obama, the more people turn away from him.

Marking Time on August 27, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Marking Time on August 27, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Gives me HOPE that the general population is not as dense as I thought.
Yipppeeeeeeeeeee

bridgetown on August 27, 2008 at 11:26 AM

“Likely voters” takes on greater significance. Dissilusionment leads to apathy, which leads to distraction, which leads to blowing off the trip to the polls.

Mr_Magoo on August 27, 2008 at 11:26 AM

The more people see Obama, the more people turn away from him.

Marking Time on August 27, 2008 at 11:16 AM

You mean like when The One’s followers dropped their rock and turned away?

Mr_Magoo on August 27, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Sven,

Good point! I was wondering the same thing when I checked weather.com this morning. Living in South Florida, I am breathing a sigh or relief (though I wish the storm wouldn’t hit anybody). And since one of the Dems favorite games is exploiting tragedies, I hope your advice is heeded. Something tells me with Bobby Jindal as governor, the outcome will be much different from Katrina, no matter what. Gives him a chance to display his skill and competence on a national scale.

Dariaanne on August 27, 2008 at 11:30 AM

I was called a racist here in sunny CA when I said I don’t like Obama…. They assume I don’t like Obama because I’m white…. isn’t that racism but against me?!? or am I missing something?

Lioxani4 on August 27, 2008 at 11:30 AM

P.S. I don’t hold out much hope for Nagin, sorry to say. Then again, his constituents re-elected him after his deplorable lack of leadership. Not sayin’ they shouldn’t be helped if they’re hit by a hurricane again, just wondering why they put him back in office in the first place.

Dariaanne on August 27, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Lioxani4 on August 27, 2008 at 11:30 AM

If you don’t swallow the kool-aid voluntarily, they will attempt to force you with the threat of the “Racist” Cudgel. The fact that they don’t see anything wrong with this bullying tactic is a stark reminder of why Liberal-turned-Stalinist ideology has to be soundly defeated and discredited in our country.

RushBaby on August 27, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Who but the most elite can relate to this person? He will never be able to shed the elitist persona, no matter what he does.

And what he does, by his very nature, only emphasizes it more. From the rock star “Citizen of the World” European tour to the Grecian emporer holding court at the DNC colliseum, his narcissist behavior is on full display.

Add to that all the “bible totin’ gun clingin’ above my pay scale” elitist rhetoric he spews forth and one must wonder how long until the total collapse of his candidacy.

How long until he is down 30 points in the polls?

Can you say “Ayers”?

garry on August 27, 2008 at 11:36 AM

This lull in the McCain machine PR production is merely a pause to re-load.

My PR-Guy brain is busy looking at WHY Obambi is sinking in the middle of his own lousy convention, even with with wall to wall sychophantic coverage from the MSM alphabet networks! My focus groups would be drilling into WHAT is being done and said (or not) at the DNC circle-jerk that is running his support down so effectively. Whatever the Dems are doing is working (for us), so let them keep handing over the ammo and stay out of their way.

Fishoutofwater on August 27, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Soo… just in case something did happen.. the DNP finds out the hard way that Obama is totally unelectable.. would they switch their horses in mid-stream?

like what they did for the ( I think it was) senate race in Minnesota?

the democrat was tanking in every pole and the party was trying to switch candidates right before November..

DaveC on August 27, 2008 at 11:38 AM

<blockquoteLioxani4 on August 27, 2008 at 11:30 AM

George Orwell wrote an essay about the word ‘Fascist’.. you can do a search and replace the word fascist for racist for todays world..

well, the essay is still relevant today..

DaveC on August 27, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Yes but Obama leads by huge margins with German voters.

Perhaps Baracky should push for a Constitutional amendment allowing for German citizens to vote.

Bishop on August 27, 2008 at 11:44 AM

DaveC on August 27, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Who would take it? Would Hillary do it or would she let Baracky get torn to shreds and then come back in 2012?

Interesting question you pose.

Bishop on August 27, 2008 at 11:46 AM

VP choices generally don’t do that much long-term good in the polling, but if Obama doesn’t come out of the convention with a bounce of 5-7% he’s in big trouble … unless McCain self destructs … which is well within the range of the possible.

I would love for McCain to pick a woman as VP. The press would accuse him of pandering, but if Obama tried that, it would drive a lot of women voters to McCain, I think.

One thing that is clear to me from this week’s Dem convention is that giving the candidate’s wife a major time slot is a good idea ONLY when she has lots of positives, or if she is a relative unknown (as McCain’s wife is). When HRC spoke in 1992, she had an image unmangled by her later ham-handed New Deal politics. Michelle already is controversial because of her earlier, whiny comments about the US.

I’m still an angry conservative voter. I probably will not vote for McCain. But seeing Barry O. starting to crash and burn so early is a relief.

doufree on August 27, 2008 at 11:48 AM

…Obama has to hope that there are enough of those to carry him to victory, but as we can already see, that hasn’t kept him in the lead even during a summer when he should be trouncing McCain

Enlightening data, Ed, but this is conventional wisdom that has become outdated. True, legacy media credibility died this summer, and no doubt that a) that will continue since their ideological bubble is immune to crititcal introspection, b) it still has to drag Obama across the finish line, and c) this truism helps Democrats; but there are other evolutions that have damaged Obama significantly.

Consider Congressional approval ratings under Pelosi and Reid. Abysmal and significantly worse than Bush’s. I think the public is finally realizing how disingenuous the Democrats have been (lying about their Iraq policy and the perverted strategy to remove US presence), how scandal plagues the Democrats as much or more than the Republicans (John Edwards, cold-cash Jefferson, Obama’s dubious ties, ACORN shenanigans), Donk-led energy policy being based on hot air and a bill of goods, and ever-building success in Iraq/on WoT.

Pelosi, Clinton, and Reid pushed the “miserable failure” meme for many months in ’07 and into ’08. It resonated among the ignorant and punished the GOP disproportionately. Then the MoveOn/Soros/NYT/Clinton anti-Petraeus fiasco came about and the public, large swaths of it, realized how unfair and contemptible the charge was. That really turned the tide and made people realize that the narrative they had been told and sold by the Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) was wrong – that the truth on the ground didn’t match the rhetoric. Cynicism had reached critical mass shortly thereafter and all of America began to notice. Conventional wisdom, I believe, turned this spring.

Trends really don’t look good for Democrats in spite of McCain’s relative RINO status. It would appear that the polls, as you note, have a momentum in McCain’s favor that Barack cannot stop. Political activism had bolstered Obama’s numbers during the summer, but that time is gone. Many Americans had discovered who Obama really was – only they weren’t as proactively participating in the political process then as they are now. In fact Hillary Clinton was trending strongly upward as the primaries wound down and post-Wright/Pfleger. The fact that Obama cannot get a positive bounce after Berlin, after Biden announcement, and after Michelle Obama’s repackaging indicates that the conventional wisdom has been wrong for a long time.

AnonymousDrivel on August 27, 2008 at 11:48 AM

It looks to me like the DNC convention has turned into a big NAACP convention.

The folks don’t want more welfare and affirmitive action. Been there done that and it was an abject failure.

Just look at the fine results it got us in New Orleans. People with PHD’s in slopping at the public trough at the expense of true producers.

Rewarding deadbeatism is about as stupid at rewarding law breaking with illegal immigrants. It’s time the government started worrying about the wagon pullers instead of the wagon riders.

What will the dems do when all the producers have had enough and move on? Legalize drugs and sell crack for revenue? Tax foreign countries? The dems love spending other peoples money but will not part with theirs.

saiga on August 27, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Free this, free that, universal expense for healthcare when they can’t even fund medicare.

Pennies from heaven? Let the backlash begin !!!!!!!!!!!!!

saiga on August 27, 2008 at 11:53 AM

DaveC on August 27, 2008 at 11:38 AM

You are thinking Toricelli-Lautenberg in Jersey.

I don’t think they could that.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 27, 2008 at 11:55 AM

McCain was excellent on Leno the other night. He nailed everything and again challenged the Messiah to town hall debates.

People see that McCain stomped Barry at Saddleback.

Who would vote for a president that is scared and unwilling to debate real issues off of the prompter?

danjrussell on August 27, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Bishop on August 27, 2008 at 11:44 AM

They have already been circulating web ads with (waste of space) Gwenyth Paltrow to remind US ex-pats to vote “Democrat”.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 27, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… Barack Hussein Obama & Co. will lose in a LANDSLIDE.

Also, my crystal ball show Democrats losing a considerable amount of seats in the house and Senate.

They will all blame Conservatives as if we are racists like always but will have only to look in the mirror to place blame accurately.

Swinehound on August 27, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 27, 2008 at 11:57 AM

My brother is an ex-pat living in Landgraaf, Netherlands. He hasn’t mentioned the commercials for BHO, but does explain the empty-suited-ness to the overwhelming number of Dutchies enamored with The One.

Swinehound on August 27, 2008 at 12:02 PM

<blockquoteYou are thinking Toricelli-Lautenberg in Jersey.

I don’t think they could that.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 27, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Ahhh thank you..

DaveC on August 27, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Swinehound on August 27, 2008 at 12:02 PM

You should check out some of the disgusting comments left there.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM

danjrussell on August 27, 2008 at 11:55 AM

heh.. Obama is willing to meet with the President of Iran (Iminneedofanasskickin) and the Dictator of North Korea (Ding Dong Ill)

but not with John McCain in a debate.. what a show of strength..

DaveC on August 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM

BTW.. totally off topic..

Hot Air looks great under Safari..

DaveC on August 27, 2008 at 12:15 PM

DaveC on August 27, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Torricelli had won the primary election for his second term. After the primary he withdrew because of a campaign finance scandal involving contributions by David Chang, an imprisoned Korean businessman. The Dumbocrats, somehow by arguing before the New Jersey State Supreme Court, got former Senator Lautenberg’s name on the ballot instead of Torricelli’s. When the scandal hit, Torricelli’s poll numbers were crashing hard, and it looked like the seat was going to go to the Repub challenger, Doug Forrester (who had GWB’s endorsement).

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 27, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Share the polling news with Ayers:

bayers@uic.edu

This is hisbounce.

Jaibones on August 27, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Oh please. Does this poll include the Greek Temple they’re building to Obama?????????? Of course it doesn’t.

Obama 105
McCain -5

by the weekend.

Chuck Schick on August 27, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Somebody cue the music for the King and I…

“Getting to know you, Getting to know all about you.”

hot-heir on August 27, 2008 at 12:45 PM

McCain has a bigger tent than Barry. Come on in!

RobCon on August 27, 2008 at 10:48 AM

It’s twue! It’s twue!

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 27, 2008 at 1:06 PM

People are starting to see that the Emperor has no toga!

Star20 on August 27, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Dialog during the night of the first McCain/Obama Presidential Debate:

5-year-old Daughter: Mommy, look! Obama! He’s naked!
2-year-old Son: Momma, naked!
Mom: OMG! (Jaw dropped)
Dad: OK, kids! Time to change the channel! How about the Cartoon Network?
Mom: I thought there were fines against this kind of thing…
Dad: He’ll get away with it. Besides, where is Janet Jackson now?

newton on August 27, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Momentum can shift in this ballgame. All Obama needs is a hit, maybe a ground rule double, to get his crowd energized again. Don’t read too much into polls, now or ever. One McCain miscue, such as the ‘houses owned’ thing which Obama tried to capitalize on, can swing momentum back to Obama.
Obama may be the ‘gaffemaster’ but McCain is capable of saying the most ridiculous things.

Doug on August 27, 2008 at 1:29 PM

McCain may say ridiculous things Doug, but they are only ridiculous to conservatives.

Obama can’t capitalize on any idiotic leftward turn McCain makes.

BKennedy on August 27, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Maybe he can appeal to his “Chavez vote” to rig the election anyway…

elduende on August 27, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Obama can’t capitalize on any idiotic leftward turn McCain makes.

BKennedy on August 27, 2008 at 1:34 PM

He may not be able to capitalize upon it, but the nation can’t really endure the liberal policies that McCain is putting forth either.

Snake307 on August 27, 2008 at 2:32 PM

“With D’s faltering, why isn’t the RNC rolling out talking points to vote for R’s” Lorien

Because, with precious few exceptions, there are none. The Republicans have almost wholly abandoned what little good they ever had to offer, apart from a recent and somewhat tepid opposition to the Dems opposition to oil drilling (which they are even now moving to cave on).

The only reason to vote for a Republican (with exceptions like local or state office candidates such as Palin) is to slow down the Dems acceleration toward Canadian-style socialism. That, however, is a good enough reason given the alternatives.

JDPerren on August 27, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Barack Obama has had an unprecedented slide in polling over the summer

Ed, unprecedented in what way? Do you mean that no one has ever lost such a big lead during the summer?

jgapinoy on August 27, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Obama is starting to get on people’s nerves.

Terrye on August 27, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Thank god for Operation Chaos…..

reshas1 on August 27, 2008 at 5:22 PM

He limped across the finish line at the primaries, maybe he things he can do the same in the general.

Kevin71 on August 27, 2008 at 5:43 PM