Catholic House Republicans respond to Pelosi’s abortion lies

posted at 1:55 pm on August 26, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

On Sunday, Nancy Pelosi told several lies about the Catholic Church’s teaching and historical perspective on abortion and the fundamental sanctity of human life throughout its development. Ten House Republicans have responded respectfully but forcefully to refute Pelosi’s deliberate deceptions:

Dear Speaker Pelosi,

On the Sunday, August 24th, broadcast of NBC’s Meet the Press, you stated “as an ardent, practicing Catholic, [abortion] is an issue that I have studied for a long time.” As fellow Catholics and legislators, we wish you would have made a more honest effort to lay out the authentic position of the Church on this core moral issue before attempting to address it with authority.

Your subsequent remarks mangle Catholic Church doctrine regarding the inherent sanctity and dignity of human life; therefore, we are compelled to refute your error.

In the interview, Tom Brokaw reminded you that the Church professes the sanctity of human life from conception to natural death. As stated in the Catechism of the Catholic Church: “Since it must be treated from conception as a person, the embryo must be defended in its integrity, cared for, and healed, as far as possible, like any other human being” (2274).

To this, you responded, “I understand. And this is like maybe 50 years or something like that. So again, over the history of the Church, this is an issue of controversy.” Unfortunately, your statement demonstrates a lack of understanding of Catholic teaching and belief regarding abortion.

From the Apostles of the first century to Pope John Paul the Great “the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law” (Catechism 2271).

Thus, your erroneous claim about the history of the Church’s opposition to abortion is false and denigrates our common Faith. For example, during the reign of Pope Innocent XI in 1679, the Church unequivocally stated it is an error for Catholics to believe fetuses do not have a soul; and confirmed the teaching that abortion constitutes homicide.

To reduce the scandal and consternation caused amongst the faithful by your remarks, we necessarily write you to correct the public record and affirm the Church’s actual and historical teaching that defends the sanctity of human life. We hope that you will rectify your errant claims and apologize for misrepresenting the Church’s doctrine and misleading fellow Catholics.

Respectfully,

Hon. Thaddeus G. McCotter (MI)
Hon. Steve Chabot (OH)
Hon. Virginia Foxx (NC)
Hon. Phil Gingrey (GA)
Hon. Peter King (NY)
Hon. Steve King (IA)
Hon. Daniel Lungren (CA)
Hon. Devin Nunes (CA)
Hon. John Sullivan (OK)
Hon. Patrick Tiberi (OH)

This list may grow; one source says that John Boehner, the House Minority Leader, has already added his signature.  As more join this list, I’ll update this post with the additions.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The comments prior to mine notwithstanding, my wife and I went through two miscarriages and deemed them a loss of life. Yes, we’re Catholic and we still suffer those losses even now 14 and 16 years later. Pelosi should be excommunicated as should all Catholics who support abortion. You don’t agree? Tough! You either are a member of the faith or you are not… it is not yours to change. The support of abortion is sacrilegious….. and the result is excommunication by it’s existence. You don’t like it? then find a faith that you can control.

MNDavenotPC on August 26, 2008 at 7:31 PM

justincase on August 26, 2008 at 7:07 PM

bridgetown on August 26, 2008 at 7:34 PM

MNDavenotPC on August 26, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Couldn’t have said it better. As I posted before, the abortion question hinges on whether a human fetus is really a human. In the eyes of the Catholic church and rational people the fetus is a human not a glop of extraneous cells as the abortionists would have you believe.

docdave on August 26, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Jesus loved. Jesus taught love. Jesus NEVER taught ANYONE to judge or hate…

bridgetown on August 26, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Everyone judges other people every second of every day. You just judged someone “close minded,” did you not? Jesus didn’t need to teach us to judge – we do anyway. He simply taught us the criterion by which to evaluate (or … judge) truth.

Now, as to hate – of course Jesus taught us to hate sin. Just not people. People are separable from their behavior, after all.

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 26, 2008 at 7:45 PM

>>Heh…I believe you made my points for me. Not sure if you meant to, or not….but is done.

bridgetown on August 26, 2008 at 7:34 PM>>

How so?

justincase on August 26, 2008 at 7:46 PM

MNDavenotPC on August 26, 2008 at 7:31 PM

I have to assume that by the comments prior to yours you don’t mean mine…because I agree with you completely.

seanrobins on August 26, 2008 at 7:50 PM

In the eyes of the Catholic church and rational people…

“Rational people” = those who don’t believe in imaginary beings, docdave?

Please don’t lump us together with the biggest purveyor of primitive superstitions.

alphie on August 26, 2008 at 7:50 PM

Jesus loved. Jesus taught love. Jesus NEVER taught ANYONE to judge or hate…

bridgetown on August 26, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Jesus never taught anyone to be blind or stupid, either. Which means, that we can only know whether our own actions are right or wrong, if we can also “judge” (sorry to use such a “judgemental” term) the rightness or wrongness of the actions of others.

Anything else is a cop out. Justifying allowing the existence of evil without reproach is also a cop out…and that is what you are advocating. Jesus does not tell us to “live and let live” with evil. Evil must always be confronted.

seanrobins on August 26, 2008 at 7:52 PM

“Rational people” = those who don’t believe in imaginary beings, docdave?

alphie on August 26, 2008 at 7:50 PM

The religious bigots have landed. Fasten your seat belts.

The discussion was about religious doctrine and beliefs of the Catholic Church. Its kind of, you know … STUPID … to expect that the discussion will not “touch” upon such issues.

Why are you here, anyway. Doesn’t Chirstopher Hitchens have a blog?

seanrobins on August 26, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Holy sh$t, Ed!

Where on Earth did that hideous picture of Pelosi come from?

That’s AWESOME!!!!

BallisticBob on August 26, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Jesus loved. Jesus taught love. Jesus NEVER taught ANYONE to judge or hate…
bridgetown on August 26, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Matt. 7:6, “Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.”

Matt. 7:13, “Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat.”

Matt. 7:15-23, “Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.”

Sounds kinda judgmental to me.

Akzed on August 26, 2008 at 7:57 PM

sean,

It’s a little disturbing to see members of our government debate the equivalent of “What color is Bigfoot’s fur?”

No wonder the godless Chinese are kicking our butts.

alphie on August 26, 2008 at 7:58 PM

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 26, 2008 at 7:45 PM

whenever liberals talk about Jesus, they mean the liberal ‘jesus’, the pro-gay, pro-abortion, socialist revolutionary jesus, not the Jesus of the Bible…you know, the Judge of the quick and the dead. the Jesus of revelation.

and anyone who disagrees with this ‘god in their own image’ is hateful

right4life on August 26, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Atheists know the dirty little secret that religious folks won’t admit: life isn’t precious. Life is easy to create, so easy in fact, that it’s become quite a problem for us, and will continue to do so into the future.

You’re crazy. The problem of infant mortality was only solved in the 19th century. Its only modern medical science that allows your easy-going attitude. Imagine if something like the Black Death came along and they couldn’t find a cure? You wouldn’t be talking like the way you are now.

aengus on August 26, 2008 at 8:09 PM

No wonder the godless Chinese are kicking our butts.

alphie on August 26, 2008 at 7:58 PM

It must be nice be the Only Rational Human Being in the Room™ so very often.

In any event, I’d say the internal consistency (or at the least basic reading comprehension) of an elected official are valid topics for discussion.

But regardless, let’s talk about those “godless Chinese” who are “kicking our butts.” Those would be the same Chinese that regularly cut off huge gaping chunks of the Internet because they don’t tow the party line, toss people in prison for daring to criticize China’s treatment Tibet, and pollute at a staggering rate that’s only going to increase, yes? Ah. Those Chinese.

Quick little progressive – go spin all your contradictory ideas into a semblance of reconciliation before your head pops off from the sheer cognitive dissonance.

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 26, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Alleged “Catholic” politicians should choose whether to remain in the Church, or observe the holiest and most important of commandments. We should not accept their trying to have it both ways.

seanrobins on August 26, 2008 at 7:27 PM

The Church describes artificial contraception as “evil”. Should Catholic politicians also use government to prevent non-Catholics from acquiring birth control? Would it be immoral for a Catholic politician to support a war that the Pope considered “morally unjustified”?

If Catholic politicians deferred completely to the Vatican, they’d face another set of criticism. It makes sense to vote against a Catholic politician if he/she has bad policies (e.g., Pelosi, Biden), but they all need to wrestle with their responsibilities to the American people and the influence of the Vatican.

dedalus on August 26, 2008 at 8:17 PM

>>“Rational people” = those who don’t believe in imaginary beings, docdave?

alphie on August 26, 2008 at 7:50 PM >>

What’s your worldview, Alphie? Are you a materialist – one who believes only in what you can observe, document, or measure?

justincase on August 26, 2008 at 8:20 PM

On the O’Reilly Factor, Laura Ingram just drew a huge red circle around Pelosi’s MTP remarks and the resulting criticism from Catholic officials. She was good, and she pointed out that the criticism from those officials extended specifically to Biden too.

BuckeyeSam on August 26, 2008 at 8:40 PM

MNDavenotPC on August 26, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Couldn’t agree with you more Dave. Even as an ex Catholic (for other reasons) the hypocrisy offends. Just how stupid does she think her constituents are?
I’m glad leaders of the church are standing up. I just hope the msm doesn’t shelf it like is usually the norm.

oakpack on August 26, 2008 at 9:07 PM

I believe in science, justin.

Interesting that you guys believe anyone who uses birth control is going to hell….I imagine that’s every American over the age of 18.

Gonna get crowded.

alphie on August 26, 2008 at 9:15 PM

I believe in science, justin.

shouldn’t have to believe in science. you only believe in religion..but to people like you science is a religion, and darwin is your dark hairygod.

right4life on August 26, 2008 at 9:30 PM

Without looking at previous comments, I just have yo say….that photo is ridiculous.

Alden Pyle on August 26, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Gonna get crowded.

alphie on August 26, 2008 at 9:15 PM

I hate to state the obvious but if everyone over 18 was using birth control, we would not have had 40,000,000 abortions.

Glynn on August 26, 2008 at 10:05 PM

If we were to take the word as given above, shouldn’t Catholics in fact intervene to ensure that no miscarriages take place?

Seixon on August 26, 2008 at 2:50 PM

I know I’m late to the conversation and all, but how dare you. My husband and I are blessed with 2 children and have suffered through 3 miscarriages. For you to say that anyone can “intervene to ensure that no miscarriages take place” is beyond stupid.

RedInWI on August 26, 2008 at 10:37 PM

You jesus nuts are still using scripture quotes as if they prove something.

Xolom on August 26, 2008 at 10:58 PM

You jesus nuts are still using scripture quotes as if they prove something.

Given the title of the thread, it is appropriate. Sheesh…you anti-Jesus nuts are still bashing scripture as if your efforts will prove something.

ManlyRash on August 26, 2008 at 11:39 PM

You jesus nuts are still using scripture quotes as if they prove something.

Xolom on August 26, 2008 at 10:58 PM

Here are some more, specifically for you, mocking fool:

Psalm 14: The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”

Proverbs 1:24-26 …since you rejected me when I called and no one gave heed when I stretched out my hand, since you ignored all my advice and would not accept my rebuke, I in turn will laugh at your disaster; I will mock when calamity overtakes you…

Have a nice night.
;-)

infidel4life on August 27, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Whether Church doctrine should be brought into civil law is certainly a valid question (I personally think it shoud not), but if you are going to quote a church’s doctrine, you should get it right. (By the way, I am not a Roman Catholic.)

The Anchoress has a pretty good-looking discussion of the topic, and she seems to be generally well-informed in RC doctrine.

lsheldon on August 27, 2008 at 12:03 AM

dedalus on August 26, 2008 at 8:17 PM

absolutely right dedalus. It seems as though the fears that non-Catholics have of Catholic politicians is rearing its ugly head in this thread pretty clearly.

JFK had to specifically say that he wouldn’t get his priorities for leading this country from the Vatican. Now we have Catholic posters on here saying that Catholic politicians MUST get their talking points from the Vatican or be ‘excommunicated’.

You never hear Protestant politicians, Jewish politicians, Muslim, Hindu, or any other religious group’s politicians nit picking religious doctrine within the official public discourse. Yet the Catholics see nothing wrong with it amongst themselves.

It really is quite eye opening. And for those of you saying ‘Jesus did it’ so we should judge too. . . I guess you are claiming to be just like Jesus (ie God) to make judgments about people. That was the original sin (by the way). Mankind wasn’t created with the knowledge of Good and Evil, only free will to obey or not. Adam wanted that knowledge (to be ‘like God’) and God punished him for not obeying. Mankind is still making improper judgments and attributing it to their ‘religion’ and God. The decision by the ROMAN government (where the Vatican is) to kill Jesus was the epitome of poor judgment by the people that they could kill a man with no sin.

ThackerAgency on August 27, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Jesus loved. Jesus taught love. Jesus NEVER taught ANYONE to judge or hate…

bridgetown on August 26, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Sad. You know nothing about Jesus. He preached on repentance and Hell far more than he ever talked about love.

fossten on August 27, 2008 at 12:34 AM

No ifs ands or buts. Abortion is instrinsically evil. And you don’t have to be religious to see that.

Watch the baby fight desparately to try to escape the instruments, and open their mouth screaming for help and in anguish.

Show this to a woman who is considering abortion. This is not a choice, but Planned Parenthood makes this the only choice for women.

It happens 3,000 to 4,000 times per day in the USA.

Biden is like Pelosi. He doesn’t believe the Faith.

I’ll tell you what I’d like to see. The phony-Catholic Biden debating a possible McCain veep pick: Sarah Palin. Yes, as Sarah holds her little baby Trig with downs syndrome knowing that little boy is a wonderful gift, and not a punishment at all. At my Catholic church, there is a littele girl with downs, and she is the happiest kid on the planet. Why would people agonize over this? When my wife’s doctor asked us about whether we wanted to do the amnio testing, and I found out what it was, I damn near punched him out for even implying I might murder my own child because they had DS. Unbelievable.

Sapwolf on August 27, 2008 at 1:45 AM

The phony-Catholic Biden…

Oh, good.

The purity(ball) police have shown up.

alphie on August 27, 2008 at 1:58 AM

ThackerAgency on August 27, 2008 at 12:16 AM

I knew you couldn’t stay away. You are a hater of the first degree.

Connie on August 27, 2008 at 2:14 AM

Can I add my name to that list of Catholics (recovering) signatures?

I’ll just put my name in there anyway. But it’s not just republicans, I’m sure there are plenty democrats know the same Bela Pelosi comments were shamefully damnation false.

(recovering)

Kini on August 27, 2008 at 2:16 AM

Has Pelosi’s mind decayed. She does not know Roman Catholic doctrine, does not know that natural gas is still considered a fossil fuel, and the first step in the use of natural gas as an alternative fuel is to drill for it.
She needs to hold more interviews on prime time and enlighten us some more.

cavu on August 27, 2008 at 6:34 AM

Pelosi has made a choice, but apparently her conscience can not accept her choice, hence her revisionist Catholic Doctrine. If she really believes St. Augustine, then she defies modern medicine. A fetus will recoil from pain, so therefore, according to her own beliefs, it must have a soul and cannot be aborted. She is spineless and lacking in her logic.

bloggless on August 27, 2008 at 7:48 AM

it’s uncanny, really…

marc@hubsandspokes on August 27, 2008 at 8:49 AM

(recovering)

Kini on August 27, 2008 at 2:16 AM

I ask this with all sincerity, how can one be a practicing Catholic and a Democrat at the same time? If one believes the tenets of the Roman Catholic faith, how can the culture of death doctrine of the Democrat Party be supported?

highhopes on August 27, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Thacker Agency

No, as a politician you don’t have to follow the Vatican’s edicts if you choose not to, just don’t say you’re a faithful Catholic, that’s all any of us are saying.

MNDavenotPC on August 27, 2008 at 10:08 AM

BRAZIL

the movie,
the aging mom,
the plastic face,

fitting distortion:

sorry, every time I see it, flashback.

maverick muse on August 27, 2008 at 10:23 AM

MNDavenotPC on August 26, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Not hard to understand that.

There are sundry alternatives for those shopping a custom fit designer denomination.

No put down for those shoppers. Honesty is the best policy. Support what you do believe.

Without those protecting not only innocence but heritage and tradition with all its burdens, we would only have shifting sands and no firm rock for reference. That is Marxist desire, to assume the God/Christ role on earth, just another manifestation of Satan. As it is, the world yet enjoys the presence of those adhering to the faith of our Christian Fathers.

It doesn’t take someone born in the Catholic faith to support it. No one’s perfect, whether as individuals or as a body. But in the sincere efforts to reach what is good and to share God’s love on earth, I appreciate the Vatican as God’s vessel to strengthen righteousness.

Yesterday on the Laura Ingraham show, she interviewed a Christian Democrat who adamantly argued that Catholics and Republicans ONLY care about the unborn, and denigrate the human life as it matures. Disgusting! As if he is unaware of all the Catholic charities established on earth and functioning longer than any Marxist non-profit corporations that actually DO feed on socialized flesh.

MORAL OF THE STORY:

Catholics had better leave the Marxist Democrat Party and support responsible charities that incorporate RESPONSIBILITY as lessons learned and appreciated by those served and those serving. Vote GOP for life and liberty to pursue truth. Exercise charity, not fascism.

maverick muse on August 27, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Pelosi: Abortion’s OK with San Francisco Catholic Church”

An Open Letter to the Archdiocese of San Francisco:

“As a concerned Catholic, I have been following the scandal regarding House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s highly public misrepresentation of Church teaching regarding support for the practice of abortion.

“As you are no doubt aware, the Democratic Party has nominated a militantly pro-abortion candidate for the office of United tates presidency. In addition, the Democratic candidate chosen for Vice-President maintains a similarly militant pro-abortion position, and he, like Mrs. Pelosi, publicly claims to be within the body of mainstream Catholics.

“Several statements originating from various Archdioceses, including Denver, New York, Philadelphia and Washington, have made an effort to counter the erroneous teachings coming from House Speaker Pelosi.

“Today I am reading that Pelosi is answering those statements by calling the Church’s position a “regional” affair. “I think some of it is regional,” she said. “It depends on the bishop of a certain region, and, fortunately for me, communion has not been withheld and I’m a regular communicant, so that would be a severe blow to me if that were the case.”

“I have noticed in the past that the home diocese of a well-known and accomplished person may refrain from acting against that person even if they publicly speak contrary to Catholic teaching, because having such a celebrity as a guest at Mass carries a certain cachet as to make one a bit “starry-eyed”.

“A short review of Mrs. Pelosi’s record reveals that her support for the practice of unrestricted abortion is nothing new, and in fact she enjoys a 100% approval rating from the National Abortion Rights Action League. How can it be that the Church has never informed Catholics that Mrs. Pelosi has been in error previously?

“Surely the Archdiocese of San Francisco is Pro-Life. But is it Pro-Life enough to send a message to San Francisco Catholics, and to the world, that such scandalous public behavior by high-level politicians will no longer be tolerated? If an enlightened person such as House Speaker Pelosi is so confused about what the Church teaches that she will make such presentations on national television, imagine how ordinary Catholics in San Francisco are being left in the dark.”

jay12 on August 27, 2008 at 11:13 AM

If your hate hypocrisy, the Jesus is your man. No one fought hypocrisy like Jesus did. He fought it so vigorously he wound up dead at 33 nailed to a tree.

My suggestion is, don’t let others tell you what’s in the Bible. Read it for yourself. Don’t let others tell you what being a Christian is. There are no perfect people and everyone needs forgiveness. Being a follower of Christ is a daily decision to follow God’s will. Some days I’m better at it than others.

If you really want to know what it means to be a Christian, read 1 John (First John). It’s short and straight forward and takes less than 20 minutes to read. That is what this Christian strives for.

The sad part is that being an ardent Catholic, I doubt Nancy Pelosi has ever read the Bible. If she had, she might better understand God’s will for her and her leadership responsibility.

mezzomorph on August 27, 2008 at 11:22 AM

I see alphie’s back. I don’t think the alphie types know the difference between science and faith. RC is a faith. Observation, experimentation, and use of logic is science. To use phrases like “believing in ancient myths” and “hipocratic religious nuts” and some creationist arguments show this ignorance is not restricted to one side.

1. Science deals with observation and logic. “Facts” cannot be proven because they are observational, and it can’t be shown the same thing will happen next time. Heisenberg’s uncertainty and Shrodinger’s cat argument elucidate this. Because of this, real science always leaves room for doubters, unlike the manipulated religion of AGW.

2. What is everyone’s problem with hypocritical Christians? They are in church; that is where hypocrites belong. Maybe they will reform there. As long as they struggle to do better, they are better than those who only struggle to disrupt and denigrate.

3. Religion is Faith. Faith is belief, not necessarily proven truth. Sometimes interpretation of scientific observations can support it, many times not. I expect it will never be resolved to everybody’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, when “faith” drives the investigation or logic, the answers obtained can be suspect.

However, experience has shown me that it is not a good idea to attack the substances of other peoples beliefs in open secular forums.

For the record, I am an engineer/scientist and am not religious. However, I think the Christion/Jewish religions are good influences on America and do actively promote the general welfare of the United States.

Old Country Boy on August 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM

NO! THIS IS UNCANNY!

bloggless on August 27, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Ms. Pelosi needs to learn to keep her personal opinions to herself. Not make them universal way thinking. It shows yet again how the Dems want their own religion to become universal and not others will be allowed. Whatever happened to your freedom to choose. Ending a life at conception or even when you age is wrong. Though that is my opinion and I do not force that on others.

clydejumper on August 27, 2008 at 12:19 PM

OK, I read through everything. First, the woman is an unparalleled idiot. Second, would someone PLEASE tell me where to find the verbiage in our Constitution that advocates a separation of church and state? The only thing I can find is in the 1st Amendment stating that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…et al”. Meaning (read the Federalist Papers) that the government shall not mandate a state religion (like the Church of England). Otherwise, the rest of that separation junk is all crap the ACLU dreamed up.

HomeoftheBrave on August 27, 2008 at 12:22 PM

HomeoftheBrave on August 27, 2008 at 12:22 PM

I’ve been saying this for years.

*Eats*

Grue in the Attic on August 27, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Ed,

Not to be mean or nothing, but that has got to be the lamest picture of Pelosi ever.

Just sayin’ man. :)