Laura Ingraham: Palin for VP?

posted at 2:18 pm on August 25, 2008 by Allahpundit

Actually, Greta’s more excited about the idea than Ingraham is. I’m continually amazed by how much support there is for Palin, basically sight unseen, here in the comments at HA even though putting her on the ticket would obliterate the GOP’s strongest line of attack against The One. She’s personally appealing, represents a physical manifestation of Change, and is alarmingly young and inexperienced for such a momentous job. Remind you of anyone you know? Nor am I sold on Greta’s argument that women voters would flock to her. Conservatives love Palin because she’s down to earth to an extent that’s almost too good to be true, as if she’s a soccer mom who in her spare time decided to become governor. Hillary nuts worship Hillary for being the smart, opinionated career woman who refused to let gender expectations thwart her ambition who also somehow managed to raise a daughter. Both stereotypes are unfair — they’re two sides of the same coin — but the perceived difference in emphasis might be enough to turn Clintonites off to someone like Palin who doesn’t fit the traditional image of a feminist as well as Her Majesty does. Combine that with the scary Lifetime poll data that a woman on the ticket could actually cost McCain points and I don’t see the argument for her over, say, Romney.

Still, not the worst VP idea I’ve heard today. Exit question: I’m pretty sure I’ve asked this before, but I’ll ask again. Why would Palin make a better pick than, say, Huckabee? She’ll pull a few more women than him, probably, but he’ll pull more working-class Democrats and independents with his populist rhetoric. He’s a better public speaker than she is, it’s safe to say, and he’ll lock up the evangelicals sufficiently that McCain will have more room to pander to centrists (and no, you don’t have to remind me in the comments that plenty of evangelicals dislike him). Make the case, Palinites.

Update: The case is made!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Well, from what I have gathered, she is also harassing people over on the Palin for VP blog. Which tells me that she’s a paid Halcro crony. And that she’s desperate to do everything in her power to make certain that Palin is defeated.

Which is one of the other reasons Palin should be brought in as VP, so that we can take people like Halcro crony over there and put them through the grinder.

Sakaki on August 26, 2008 at 12:20 AM

One word: ANWR

She holds a press conference in that “wildlife reserve” and shows how it’s nothing more than a flat marsh and talks about how much oil is supposed to be under there and McCain wins the election. Put the freaking Dems on the defensive. By the way Huckabee’s populist rhetoric is the best reason to keep him the HELL away from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Are you crazy? Why not go whole hog and get Buchanan? Ugh.

Here’s a hint, let’s go conservative, at least on the VEEP pick.

eaglephin on August 26, 2008 at 12:25 AM

Sakaki on August 26, 2008 at 12:20 AM

No candidate is perfect…and each have their weak points.

I’ve looked at all the prospective VP choices and she by far is the most interesting and I think has the most potential to spark excitement in the base. And if it rubs some folks the wrong way? Well…that happens sometimes.

powerpro on August 26, 2008 at 12:26 AM

Sakaki – Don’t quit your day job, because your investigative skills need work.

I am a self-employed business owner that services the oil industry. Palin’s monstrous tax increase will have disastrous negative effects on my business and the businesses of others in Alaska.

Have you ever been to Alaska? THE ECONOMY IS OIL. Without oil, this place turns into a ghost state.

Sarah Palin is the farthest thing I can think of from being pro-business and pro-Alaska. She is about nothing other than promoting herself. Her actions will have devastating effects on my state. Mark my words.

Alaskan in Alaska on August 26, 2008 at 12:33 AM

powerpro – Be specific, what exactly about Palin is “interesting”? Inquiring minds want to know.

It takes more than a DS baby and a lifetime NRA membership to impress me.

Alaskan in Alaska on August 26, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Alaskan in Alaska on August 26, 2008 at 12:38 AM

I stated my case for why I thought she’d be a good choice on the previous page…but I’ll repeat it here if you’d like:

My case for Sarah Palin:

* extremely pro-life
* extremely pro-drilling (can help highlight the Republican stance on domestic drilling)
* pro-military (son serving in the Army…can help diffuse whatever line Biden has about his own son)
* considered a maverick (willing to take on Republicans she disagrees with)
* can (and has) taken apart blow hard politicians
* not elitist in any way (can help end the “how many houses” line)
* hasn’t said anything against McCain (that I know of) like Biden has of The One or like Mitt has of McCain
* balances the age issue for McCain (although I think Biden helps cancel that issue out)
* has more Executive experience than The One
* down-to-earth and approachable
* not a Washington insider (helps neutralize the “3rd Bush Administration” mantra of the left)
* she’s a “politician of eye-popping integrity” (quoting Fred Barnes)

and lastly,

* she’s all of the above…and a woman to boot.

Here are a few articles/opinion pieces on Sarah Palin:

powerpro on August 26, 2008 at 12:41 AM

Congratulations, one and all. Now you see exactly what Syrin (Alaskan in Alaska) is all about. She’s more concerned about the potential lack of oil companies because of a plan that actually supports the reinvestment of oil profits into the infrastructure.

Without that reinvestment, oil companies have to rely on Syrin and their ilk for the infrastructure. So naturally, Syrin is gonna be pissed at Palin.

So, now that the truth comes out, we can take a figurative shotgun and put a figurative bullet into the figurative elk that have been putting up this falsity of a story.

Palin is not the evil woman that is being put up by the people who can profit the most from her demise.

Sakaki on August 26, 2008 at 12:43 AM

Sakaki on August 26, 2008 at 12:43 AM

Sakaki…see the hints that McCain might announce before Friday, potentially even Thursday? Do you think it’s true or just hype to rain a little on the DNC parade? I’d think that if it is true, it suggests that perhaps McCain is going to name someone unexpected. Perhaps Palin…perhaps another dark horse. What do you think? Heck, what does anyone here think?

powerpro on August 26, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Sarah Palin-Chavez is a tax-n-spend liberal socialist who also happens to be under investigation for abuse of power.

Besides, she never had a shot as Veep. You know it.

Alaskan in Alaska on August 26, 2008 at 12:52 AM

In a world of corrupt Republicans, Sarah Palin has apparently made enough of an impression on the G.O.P. that she’s been asked to speak at the Republican National Convention on September 2nd. It looks like a little pesky thing like an ongoing ethics investigation isn’t enough to keep her from being invited to speak on the evening in which “Reform” is the theme. (Is it possible they don’t read political blogs, or newspapers, or surf the internets?) She’ll be slotted in the evening before keynote speaker Rudy Giuliani. Popcorn and irony go so well together.

Alaskan in Alaska on August 26, 2008 at 1:03 AM

Alaskan in Alaska on August 26, 2008 at 12:52 AM

If you’re referring to me, I know no such thing, and neither do you.

I love Fred Thompson and support him, but I don’t think he wants VP even if it was on the table. I never really liked Huckabee…he strikes me as a bit phony and Gov. Jindal is not interested or whatever.

I think it’s unlikely we’ll see a more liberal VP option like Rudy or Lieberman or Ridge. This is just a hunch though.

I think Mitt takes away too many attack possibilities on Obama/Biden and like I said above, I think the liberal options are off the table.

By process of elimination, I’m thinking at this point it could be either Palin or Pawlenty, who seems good from what I’ve seen (if not all that engaging) or another dark horse option.

If the name is really to be announced before Friday, I think the Palin or dark horse option is more likely.

powerpro on August 26, 2008 at 1:05 AM

Sarah Palin is under investigation for abuse of power!

…now that Frank Bailey has been ‘put on administrative leave’ (with full pay during the investigation), we have to ask ourselves, “What about the other times Palin’s people did the same thing. Palin, at first, denied that ANY of these contacts ever took place, but now apparently it seems to have happened over 20 times! And at least one of those times, the contact came from Todd Palin. Uh-oh. Does this mean Todd will be put on ‘administrative leave’ too? I know he’s not technically part of the administration, but since he’s been holding meetings in her office while she’s away, I just thought…. Maybe he’ll just have to sleep on the couch.

Alaskan in Alaska on August 26, 2008 at 1:05 AM

And as everyone can see, Alaskan in Alaska is a Democrat. Citing a Democrat blog, with Democrat information.

Sakaki on August 26, 2008 at 1:09 AM

Is that the best ya got, Sakakieeee?

Alaskan in Alaska on August 26, 2008 at 1:19 AM

Syrin (Alaskan in Alaska),

Don’t you have anything better to do tonight? Look, you need to bury the hatchet that you pulled out long ago regarding Sarah and grow up. I heard you and your goofballs on your radio show a couple of months ago. I don’t know what rock you guys crawled out from under, but it was an absolutely disgusting display. Nothing but extremist hatemongering that made Keith Olberman look nice. You are not a conservative. You can hate all you want, but that doesn’t and has not proven ANY of the points you try to bring up. Each and every one of them has been refuted on more than one blog.

You need to drop the lies and stick to the facts. Big oil pays royalties. The royalties went up due to the price of oil. Palin pushed a rebate of state oil royalties. I’m an Accountant originally and I know the difference between a royalty and a tax, so don’t keep insulting those of us who know the difference.

Obviously, you’ve got some ancient rift with Palin that goes way back.

Such hate in your heart. You only have one life to live. Don’t waste it on something like this.

You remind me of the French policeman in Le Miserables, Inspector Javert,who couldn’t just drop the petty vendetta he had against the protagonist Jean Valjean.

When I heard your radio show, the first thing that started coming to my mind after hearing such vitriol was Joe McCarthy railing against alleged commies.

Remember that an Obama presidency does not help your precious oil companies. Obama is pushing a REAL windfall profit tax in his campaign, and believes in infanticide for babies that survive abortion.

To look at it another way. Even the fueding clans of Japan united to fight the Mongols. You need to join the great crusade against the socialist Obama. Fight the good fight, the right fight.

Sapwolf on August 26, 2008 at 2:08 AM

Sapwolf – I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. You have no idea who I am.

If you lived in Alaska you’d know what true conservatives think of Socialist Sarah. Conservative talk radio hosts like Rydell, Fagan and Biegel spend hours everyday talking about what a disaster Palin is.

You’re just a clueless kid. But you’ll see soon enough.

Palin is on our local TV news right now signing Senate Bill 4002 which will give Alaskans $1,200.00 of the surplus tax she stole from private industry. Redistribution of wealth, my friend. Socialism at its finest.

Alaskan in Alaska on August 26, 2008 at 2:23 AM

Syrin,

I don’t know your real name, but I know you’re Syrin. :)

Wrong. Rebate. And rebates are big with Repubs. I heard from your previous posts that you’re gonna spend your rebate on a trip to Hawaii. I wish I could go there. My grandpa is buried in Punchbowl cemetery. Small world. You should consider sending the $1,200 to charity since it would be the perfect protest against the tyrant Sarah to give voluntarily to a good charity. How dare she give a rebate to Alaskans when oil prices are good. She must be evil. For you to enjoy that rebate would be just further encouragement. How could you knowing that the oil companies should get ALL that money. Shame on you. Now endorse that check to Exxon ASAP you oil whore you.

By the way, Fagan is an ass, although the other two I have not followed.

And keep calling me a kid. It makes this old man feel young again. Ah, to get such attention from a blog legend. :)

Nighty night folks.

Stop the hate! McCain/Palin 08

Sapwolf on August 26, 2008 at 3:07 AM

Palin’s not evil, she’s just a socialist.

Alaskan in Alaska on August 26, 2008 at 3:26 AM

The time is right for a woman on he ticket…period.

The Republicans are not strong this year and need women on board.

ENGERY: the issue that the Republicans need to bludgeon the Dems with…who better than the governor stares the energy issue in the face every day.

mylegsareswollen on August 26, 2008 at 3:56 AM

Steve Z. ….
I owe you and Rep. Kasich apologies. I had him confused with that nutbag Kucinich. All those K’s look alike to me.
Skyfox

SKYFOX on August 26, 2008 at 4:28 AM

The time is right for a woman on he ticket…period.

The Republicans are not strong this year and need women on board.

mylegsareswollen on August 26, 2008 at 3:56 AM

I agree with this.

I think McCain/Palin would be a winning combination, where McCain could highlight and focus strongly on a pro-energy platform; and then as the presumptive nominee, urge Americans to vote for pro-energy House and Senate Republicans to stop the blockade in Washington.

If he and Palin hammer these issues (as well as continuing to project strength and leadership on the issues of national security and social issues), and the RNC encouraged House and Senate candidates to follow suit, I think we’ll be in for a lot of great surprises in early November.

powerpro on August 26, 2008 at 5:18 AM

I am now convinced that Palin the the Republican version of Obama

Palin made a fatal error that ended her ‘conservative credentials’ as far as I am concerned. As I just posted on another thread, Alaska Gov. Palin vetoed a bill banning State same sex benefits without a court order alleging she had been advised the bill would fail in the courts

(i.e. surrendering before the war started)

Palin said she made this move to dish out benefits because she was told by the Attorney General the bill would not stand in the courts

This is baloney. Her job is to sign or veto Bills based on content and let the courts review the bill if it is challenged in the courts.

She pro-actively avoided a court challenge.

Then she said the Attorney General made me do it.

Either disingenous or stupid, she is not the right stuff.

I hate to do this, but I will compare her to Nancy Pelosi. If Nancy Pelosi supports or opposes a bill do you think it would be because she worried the courts might not approve, or because she supported or opposed the contents? I have no doubt Pelosi votes her convictions and does not pass the buck

However Palin has a cadre who find no fault, who find her charismatic, a babe, perky etc. Another Obama in the making

This nation requires a chief Executive who plays by the Constitution, not an Executive who plays with the Constitution to avoid responsibility

entagor on August 26, 2008 at 9:43 AM

I don’t know what world you guys are living in…but in the real world, Identity Politics is the name of the game. Sarah Palin just happens to fit that template better than just about anyone else could at this juncture.

myamphibian on August 26, 2008 at 10:07 PM