Heart-ache: Hillary to release delegates on Wednesday? Update: 42% of pledged Hillary delegates say they’ll vote for her

posted at 8:00 pm on August 24, 2008 by Allahpundit

My heart leaped this morning when the Observer reported that she hadn’t yet asked the New York delegation to vote for Obama, but it turns out she’s saving that for some sort of political Masada in which her doomed band of scrappy holdouts will finally resign itself to its fate. I’ll be there in spirit.

Clinton has invited her pledged delegates to a reception at the Colorado Convention Center, not far from the main Democratic National Convention arena…

A Democratic official told The Associated Press Sunday, a day before the convention begins, that she is expected to release her delegates at the Wednesday event. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss details publicly…

Some Clinton delegates still plan to vote for her at the convention, even if she releases them.

“This is much bigger than Hillary,” said Pam Durham, a Clinton delegate from Fort Worth, Texas. “I have a responsibility. I do not own my vote. I have to represent the voters who sent me.”

Heart-ache to be sure, but only minor heart-ache: What else could she do, realistically? No matter how she plays it, some of her delegates will defect to support the presumptive nominee, leaving her potentially in the predicament of not only having pissed Obama off by not releasing them but humiliated by her wide margin of defeat in a quasi-contested roll call vote. Better to be the magnanimous loser, cast them off, then be pleasantly surprised by the number who choose to vote for her anyway. And of course, there’s always VP…

The pressure on her to tear McCain a new Maverick hole on Tuesday as payback for this morning’s ad will be enormous, so I dearly hope the RNC has something set to go in response. There’s no shortage of money Hillary clips from the primaries — “shame on you, Barack Obama,” the immortal “celestial choirs” goof, and of course her acidic comparison back in March between McCain’s “lifetime of experience” and The One’s blank-page resume — and McCain’s got airtime available to put them to use. If they’re looking for a killer quote to nail it down, no worries — it’s Ed Rendell to the rescue!

Update: Hot off the presses from the NYT and CBS, 42 percent of her delegates (20 percent of all delegates) say they’re ready to go PUMA. Will releasing them change that?

An 80/20 split on the roll after kissing her delegates off will make for a nice little media meme about disgruntled Democrat swing voters in November. How many of them are there, potentially? Not as many as you think — but enough.

Belated exit question: If Hillary comes out on Tuesday night and delivers a stemwinder on Obama’s behalf, as she almost surely will, how sickeningly purple will the nutroots prose saluting her be? Scale of one to 10. After months of sputtering about her gobsmacking vileness, I expect Sullivan to be at his fulsomely obsequious best.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Not saying McCain isn’t the best canidate for us, because he’s not.

But he is our guy. Like it or not. And I don’t like it at all.
Unlike our side, which is luke skywalker warm to McCain, the demo’s have a quagmire to deal with. Hillary and her delegates.

If you think McCain is bad for us, just think of what some demos are thinking about the O.

Kini on August 24, 2008 at 9:58 PM

BTW, a reasonable person would say that everything that anyone says here is in all likelihood “immaterial”, as a snowball would have a better chance in hell than any of us, or all of us here put together, has of altering the course of the election.

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 9:57 PM

I wonder if people were thinking that very same things as they were holding paper ballots up to the light trying to divine the intent of the voter…

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 9:59 PM

If Obama wins I am buying stock in tranquilizers.

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 9:51 PM

By the time he’s finished you may not be able to legally own stock in anything.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 9:53 PM

If Obama wins I am buying beaucoup stock in tranquilizers!

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 9:59 PM

What I know is the last two Presidential elections were decided by very few votes.
TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Yes, and if you’d bother to read what I’m writing, you would have seen that I intend to vote for McCain.

Slublog on August 24, 2008 at 9:59 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 9:59 PM

I really doubt they had Hotair on their little twisted minds.

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:01 PM

Just an aside…I wonder how much damage John McCain did to George W. Bush in 2000 when he petulantly recited “I endorse George W. Bush” over and over again (using different inflections) in response to a reporter’s question, making clear just how unenthusiastic his support of the now-president was.

Seems his behavior then was a tad more influential than any comments on this site.

Slublog on August 24, 2008 at 10:02 PM

If Obama wins I am buying beaucoup stock in tranquilizers!

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Perhaps you missed this:

Barack Obama’s Stealth Socialism

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:02 PM

If Obama wins I am buying beaucoup stock in tranquilizers!

That will be the first tax hike enacted by the big zero 0, better get to Canada fast.

Kini on August 24, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Slublog on August 24, 2008 at 10:02 PM

The world changed on 9/11

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:03 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 9:57 PM

And how many minds do you think will be changed by what you, or I for that matter, say on HA?

Maybe 1 or 2? And that is even “assuming” that it will be in the “right” direction. I really doubt that will be enough to change the electoral count.

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:05 PM

The world changed on 9/11
TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Yes, it did.

Good thing for the country that McCain’s petulance didn’t leave us with a President Al Gore, hm?

But he didn’t know that at the time, did he? No, all that mattered were his hurt feelings at losing.

Slublog on August 24, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Barack Obama’s Stealth Socialism

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:02 PM

That’s been the democrat platform since FDR.
Obama is nothing stelth about it. He’s already said it pretty loud and clear.

Kini on August 24, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Now’s not the time for circular firing squads if you care about the outcome.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Actually, now is the perfect time to be talking about all the issues on which McCain is weak and even extremely bad. The sense I get from McCain supporters is that they think the country is doomed with an Obama Administration, but they have at shot at making a McCain Administration listen to them. The way I see it, if McCain is not listening to the GOP base now, there is absolutely no reason he will need to listen to the GOP base if elected.

He hasn’t listened on Amnesty, he hasn’t listened on the fence and he hasn’t listened on drilling. Sure, he gives lip service to all this stuff to try to fool the base, but he has no intention of doing anything with this stuff.

If I were reading people on the right-of-center blogs acknowledging this stuff and coming up with plans to take back Congress so we could actually have a say-so in these matters, I may have a better attitude about this election. But the main thing I see is people making fun of Obama and castigating anyone who dares criticize McCain and point out his many, many faults and bad policies.

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 10:07 PM

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:05 PM

It’s easy to find excuses to do nothing.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:08 PM

The world changed on 9/11

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:03 PM

That was the day that Rudy’s sentence structure became, a noun, a verb and 9/11.
- Joe Biden

The world changes every day. Many days since may be of more import. We just don’t know yet and maybe never will.

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:09 PM

No, all that mattered were his hurt feelings at losing.

Slublog on August 24, 2008 at 10:06 PM

That’s a great point. He’s had it in for Bush ever since he lost to Bush. Which explains why the maverick was such a horses patoot.

Kini on August 24, 2008 at 10:09 PM

I was simply reiterating what McCain supporters have told me about getting in line and voting for McCain. I have to be an adult and deal with the real world and use “pragmatism”. It was not a slight at AllahPundit, I was simply pointing out that the Democrats are simply being adults, living in the real world and using pragmatism when they discard all their complaints about their candidate and turn around and get in line and fully support him.

I’m pleased that you’re taking a more sociable tone, but I still believe that you are missing a key point: that encouragement to get in line and vote for the vastly lesser of two evils is not in any way comparable to “sickeningly purple prose” or “fulsome obsequiousness” as raised by AP.

I share your points of dissent with McCain, vehemently so in some cases. But compared to the prospect of having that lightweight Harvard Neo-Marxist as President, a vote for McCain looks like a no-brainer.

Splunge on August 24, 2008 at 10:09 PM

It’s easy to find excuses to do nothing.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:08 PM

How do you know I am doing nothing? You don’t think I live on HA, do you?

Do you?

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:10 PM

a vote for McCain looks like a no-brainer.

Splunge on August 24, 2008 at 10:09 PM

New bumber sticker?

If you believe in no brainers
Vote McCain

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Now’s not the time for circular firing squads if you care about the outcome.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 9:54 PM

If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people.
- Confucius

If you think in terms of 4 years, elect McCain; if in terms of 8 years, defeat McCain; if in terms of 12 years, start a new party.[updated]
- Confucius

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:16 PM

If you believe in no brainers
Vote McCain

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Do you have anyone else on the brain?

This is your brain on McCain…. this is your brain on Obama….

How do you like your brains, over easy or scrambled?

Kini on August 24, 2008 at 10:16 PM

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Heh, exactly. Someone asked on another thread last night what were the intentions of my posts or what was the purpose of my posting here, or something of the sort. My purpose is the same as anyone else: to see my opinions put to print in the comments section at HotAir.

If AllahPundit, Michelle Malkin, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and all the others who tried to stop McCain from getting the nomination did not have enough influence to do it, then of course anonymous comments on a right-of-center blog are certainly not going to have any effect. The purpose of all these comments by everyone is simply the satisfaction of seeing our opinions in print on the website HotAir.com.

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 10:16 PM

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:09 PM

You can’t be serious.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:16 PM

- Confucius

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:16 PM

You badly underestimate Obama. Badly.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Obama selected not elected to be the Democrat Nominee. >:D

Chakra Hammer on August 24, 2008 at 10:20 PM

Splunge on August 24, 2008 at 10:09 PM

I still think you are missing my simple point. Here it is…

The Right is criticizing the Left for falling in line and voting Obama. However, they don’t see any hypocrisy in the fact that the Right is falling in line to vote for McCain.

The Right is pointing to past criticism of Obama by people who are now fully supporting him. However, they don’t see any hypocrisy in the fact that the Right is now fully supporting McCain, even after their past criticism of him.

My simple point is that the Left and the Right are both doing the same things. I think both sides are ridiculous. All I want is for the Right to stop criticizing the Left for something the Right is also doing.

This has nothing to do with supporting McCain. It has to do with hypocrisy. Both sides are going to fall in line. That’s fine. But it’s ridiculous for the Right to criticize the Left for falling in line behind Obama, when the Right is also falling in line behind McCain.

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 10:25 PM

You can’t be serious.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Why not?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Shakespeare

The Republican party has represented the best chance to save the cheerleader help the country. If McCain wins the Republican party will be crippled, possibly fatally, as that instrument as a McCain win will demonstrate that Republican Presidential candidates and probably Republican Senate and House candidates can repeatedly say #uck you to conservatives and still win if enough of them will say “Thank you Master, can I have another?”

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:30 PM

It’s easy to find excuses to do nothing.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Ironic, because that is exactly the thought that comes to mind when I hear people say with an Obama Administration, we are doomed – *DOOMED!* – as a nation. The only way we are doomed – *DOOMED!*- as a nation is if We, the People do nothing after Obama is elected. Since many people keep telling me that we are doomed, I can only assume they intend to do nothing to stop it once Obama is elected.

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 10:31 PM

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:30 PM

This isn;t about the Party, it’s about the country and you very badly underestimate Obama. Very, very badly. He’s going to have a radical left congress and a filibuster proof majority to work with. Then you have to think of the ramifications of him sitting across the table from putin and Amadinijad….

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 10:31 PM

Ah dude, if he wins, he has the people with him along with a radical left congress and a filibuster proof majority. Good luck influencing him. You’re going to need it.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 10:25 PM

This is not a criticism Michael, I’m actually looking forward to seeing the left implode over their PUMA “ideals” while those on the Right (at least) realize that McCain will not be a threat to this nations national security or turn it into a socialist state. In this context, it’s not so hard to “fall in line” if you must.

Rovin on August 24, 2008 at 10:39 PM

You badly underestimate Obama. Badly.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:18 PM

I don’t think anyone here underestimates Obama. Not the McCainservatives nor myself, MB4, highhopes, Slubog… anybody. However, I personaly feel that those who say we are doomed with an Obama Administration underestimate the power of We, the People to stop him.

Obama is not a king. He is not a messiah. He is not going to destroy this country. Yes, he will *try*. But there are 300 million strong of We, the People who have the responsibility to be a check and balance on him. The more I hear people tell me Obama is going to detroty the country, the more I lose faith in Americans. Because Obama will not push through his agenda items, because he is all powerful, he will push them through, because Americans did not care enough to stand up to him and the Democrat Party.

See, I have come to terms with the fact that Obama may be elected. So I am dealing with that reality and counting on my belief in the American people to not allow him to push through country-destroying policy. But when people keep telling me that Obama is going to destroy the country, it doesn’t make me so afraid of Obama that I must go out and vote McCain. No, it makes me take a step back and wonder if Americans don’t have the will to stand up to Democrat policies and intend to just lay down and allow Obama to do whatever he wants.

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 10:40 PM

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:30 PM

PS – if they (Dems) had nominated anyone remotely acceptable, I would be making that same argument but not with Obama. He’s way too dangerous.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:42 PM

I never have considered myself a feminist but the other day on a different thread someone suggested the the Rep. V.P. should be Sarah Palin because she is a woman and could garner the “squishy soccer mom vote”. And I started getting my ass on my shoulders. So if your a hard core feminist and Hillary was your candidate you might not “get over it sweetie”.

P.S.: My attitude had nothing to do with Gov. Palin, just the post.

Cindy Munford on August 24, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Now is the time to stop him. Now.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:43 PM

You badly underestimate Obama. Badly.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:18 PM

lol.

I think I better buy at least a 100 share in a tranquilizer company just for the profits you will bring me.

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:45 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Do the dims have many at all whom would be acceptable to you?

Gore?

Kerry?

Kennedy?

Carter? (He only served one term)

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:47 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Hmm, McCain will have the same setup. Good luck trying to influence him (on global warming legisation, Amnesty, drilling, Supreme Court Justices), after he’s shunned conservatives for years (and won the nomination without conservatives as well). You’re going to need it.

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 10:48 PM

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:47 PM

I’d vote for any of them 100X before I’d ever vote for Obama.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 10:48 PM

If you think they are remotely comparable then you are seeing something I don’t.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:51 PM

This isn;t about the Party, it’s about the country and you very badly underestimate McCain. Very, very badly. He’s going to have a radical left congress and cowed Republicans.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:35 PM

I dunno. We have had Bush out to lunch on Putin and doing nothing but blow smoke about little Mahmoud. How is that working out?

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:54 PM

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Exit question: What the hell do you think your vote is for?
Pomp and circumstance? I’ll use mine to reject Obama and the left’s vision of America by voting for John McCain. After McCain becomes my President, I’ll “step back”.

Rovin on August 24, 2008 at 10:54 PM

Now is the time to stop him. Now.

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:43 PM

I agree. However, the country is not doomed if we do not. Obama will not destroy this country… unless We, the People just sit back and allow him to do so.

So by all means, people should work their butts off to defeat Obama. But going around telling people the country is doomed and he is going to destroy the country is not a good marketing ploy. It probably moreso just turns people off to the whole political process (‘yeah, so what, we’re screwed either way, so why bother’) or makes them more sympathetic to Obama, thinking he is getting unjustly attacked.

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 10:54 PM

TheBigOldDog on August 24, 2008 at 10:51 PM

lol.

That may be because MinM is not wearing McRose colored McGlasses and doesn’t look for the ObamaMonster under his bed every night before he goes to bed.

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:57 PM

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Shoot, I promised myself I wouldn’t reply to you. At least this time I want to make sure I understand you. Do you believe that if Sen. Obama is elected the Right will protest and fight”stand up to” policies that we do not believe in but if Sen. McCain is elected we will be good little sheeple and go along because he is a Republican? Truly looking for clarification here. Oh and I also disagree with you that people here (on the right) are making fun of people on the left for falling in behind Obama while we are doing the same with McCain. I think everybody here is hoping to have a rip roaring time watching the left do exactly the opposite.

Cindy Munford on August 24, 2008 at 10:59 PM

After McCain becomes my President, I’ll “step back”.

Rovin on August 24, 2008 at 10:54 PM

If McCain becomes your elPresidente, be prepared to “paso atras”.

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 11:01 PM

After McCain becomes my President, I’ll “step back”.

Rovin on August 24, 2008 at 10:54 PM

Do you believe that if Obama is elected the Right will protest and fight”stand up to” policies that we do not believe in but if Sen. McCain is elected we will be good little sheeple and go along because he is a Republican? Truly looking for clarification here.

That is exactly what I believe. I also believe that the GOP will be powerless against a supermajority Democrat Senate and House. And they will also not want to go against their President. They will be much more inclined to fight tooth and nail against a Democrat President.

Cindy Munford on August 24, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Yeah, and my point about that was… so what? This is August. Doesn’t matter what chaos happens now. Only matters that they all get in line in November and vote Obama. And they will. As I said, most women – in my experience – are fickle. One day they are telling you how much they hate their boyfriend/husband and what a bastard he is and the next day they are back to good and he is the most wonderful man in the world. The PUMAs will complain and get it all out of their system and then come November, Obama will be their man again.

Also, I find it pretty sad that people are taking joy in the fact that an entire political party is a joke. We should all be hoping to strengthen the Democrat Party and have (at least) two strong opposition parties working in the best interest of this nation. The more the Democrat Party goes bad, the more the Republican Party just has to do enough to be better than the Democrat Party… which is to say, they don’t have to do much.

So relish the Democrat Party being a bunch of idiots if you want, but the fact is that they are part of a government which represents our nation. When they look bad, we all look bad. Just as President Bush is everyone’s President, whether you voted for him or not, this Congress and the Democrat and Republican Parties are everyone’s Congress and political Parties. None of us should be relishing more than half our current government being a bunch of idiots.

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 11:08 PM

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:54 PM

Funny. I was thinking the same thing the other day when someone was talking about how much better McCain’s foreign policy will be than Obama’s. If McCain’s is going to be anything like Bush’s regarding Iran and Russia, I’d say we’re f**ked either way.
Ever since the MSM turned Iraq into an ‘illegal war’, it seems our entire government is on eggshells everytime anything remotely provocative happens with another country. Bush has been fooling around with European diplomacy while Iran helps kill our soldiers in Iraq and keeps working on nukes. I’m not optimistic that either party is going to do anything productive on this subject.
As to all this world ending with the election of Obama, I think it’s getting a bit ridiculous. Clinton did his hard left thing for his first 2 years in office, and basically handed us a majority in the house for the first time in 40 years. Obama isn’t nearly as canny a politician as Clinton; we may have a rough couple of years, but I think the country will still be standing.

austinnelly on August 24, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 11:08 PM

I think it’s more like 90%. After the ‘doping’ hearings, I came to the sad realization that our entire government is full of people that are only there to fill their pockets and get laid. Normally, I’d say that’s a noble ambition, but it would be nice if they would at least try to look like they’re doing their job every now and then.

austinnelly on August 24, 2008 at 11:12 PM

That is exactly what I believe. I also believe that the GOP will be powerless against a supermajority Democrat Senate and House. And they will also not want to go against their President [at least not for some time and then only in fits and starts]. They will be much more inclined to fight tooth and nail against a Democrat President.

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 11:15 PM

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 10:57 PM

…our entire government is full of people that are only there to fill their pockets and get laid. Normally, I’d say that’s a noble ambition, but it would be nice if they would at least try to look like they’re doing their job every now and then.

austinnelly on August 24, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Heheh, both of these actually made me laugh out loud. On that good note, I am off for the night. Pleasant evening everyone.

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 11:16 PM

…we may have a rough couple of years, but I think the country will still be standing.

austinnelly on August 24, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Before I go, had to commend this. Thank you for some sanity here.

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Well guess what, to all of you, those who believe the world will come to an end if one or the other of these candidates gets elected? And one of them will! Our Nation and our system will not be destroyed by one person. I will survive and maybe even prosper regardless of who is in the White House. We have a system, superior to any that the world could hope for and that system has given us the choices we have today. All that are unhappy have within their power to go out and work for the changes they want to see. So continue to post your feelings and I hope the forum makes you feel better. I will read eagerly because you are all are so very wise and I learn a lot. But I won’t let you scare me and I will work for those changes that I want to see.

Cindy Munford on August 24, 2008 at 11:23 PM

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 11:08 PM

It will be like two men in cement galoshes being chased by a bear. No matter how slow either of them goes, one of them will be able to outrun the bear, so to speak.

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 11:29 PM

austinnelly on August 24, 2008 at 11:12 PM

I think any man in business would be foolish to fool around with his secretary. If it’s somebody else’s secretary, fine.
- Barry Goldwater

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 11:32 PM

MB4 on August 24, 2008 at 11:29 PM

Truly, that is as quotable as the quotes you quote. Kudos.

RushBaby on August 25, 2008 at 12:20 AM

austinnelly on August 24, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Before I go, had to commend this. Thank you for some sanity here.

Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 11:18 PM

You guys hit the McCainiacs high
I’ll hit them low
They will again MDS cry
But we know that’s just an empty show

Into a corner they do themselves paint
With laments of how disaster will come
While none of us is a saint
We will not settle for a bum

On election night we will be alright
Knowing we did not to a vain man bow
But they may be in for a real fright
And have a cow

MB4 on August 25, 2008 at 3:48 AM

I’m just jumping in here, but after GWB was elected, conservatives didn’t just step back like good little sheeple. Harriet Myers, anyone? Amnesty, anyone? We didn’t back down to GWB, we won’t to any nonsense from McCain.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 25, 2008 at 3:53 AM

Just thinking “out loud” here… eight years of Clinton gave us the wall between the intelligence services which led directly to 9/11, plus of course Clinton’s softness on dealing with the terrorists of the first WTC attacks. While 9/11 didn’t come close to destroying us as a nation, I don’t want to go through that again. Not to mention all the other horrible things the nation went through thanks to Clinton: partial birth abortion bans consistently being vetoed, Israel being talked into giving in to 90% of Arafat’s demands (thank God it wasn’t enough for Arafat), two awful Supreme Court justices, and on and on (I’ve blocked a lot of those years from my memory).

Anyway, McCain was not my 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd choice in the primaries, but I won’t go through another eight years of liberal policy (heck, I’m realizing that Clinton looks sane next to O). The Republican party survived the not-so-conservative Nixon and came back with the President of the ages, Reagan. I’m sure the party can survive McCain.

Aslans Girl on August 25, 2008 at 4:09 AM

I can not believe that people who laughingly call themselves conservatives would sit back and let Obama win because they are afraid of McCain…that is nuts. It really is.

McCain is pro life, he is a fiscal conservative, he is strong on national security, he is not the enemy.

And if these same people do not care what happens to the country if Obama and Biden and Pelosi and Reid end up running the government..then they are not the conservatives they claim to be.

MB4, I am not a sore loser. I would have voted for the nominee the party chose {thank God it was not Ron Paul}, but if the Democrats win, I will not claim I was robbed or anything of the kind.

I will just assume that he got more votes, probably because the cry baby sore loser unreliable my way or the highway element on the far right fringes decided to punish the GOP for failing to kiss their behinds.

It will 92 all over again. And just like the angry conservative helped usher in the Clinton era, they will also help usher in the era of the most liberal Democratic leadership in memory.

Terrye on August 25, 2008 at 7:10 AM

MB4:

I have said it before, sit home and show us all what is what. Do not vote for McCain, let Obama win. After all we will all survive, you betcha.

But how about you and Michael here do the rest of the same courtesy? How about letting us vote for and even support the GOP candidate who is far more conservative than the Democratic candidate?

Because in essence what you and your buddies highhopes and Michael want to see is an Obama victory. You hate McCain and you want to see him defeated because he does not share your views on immigration among other things. You will however, allow someone far more liberal on that issue to win not only without a fight..but with enthusiasm I do believe.

Maybe conservatives really should start their own party. No moderates, no centrists, no 80% conservatives allowed.

But if you did, you would never win a national election. Reagan won because all sorts of people voted for him, including Democrats. If he had only appealed to conservatives, he would never have won in the first damn place. And if he could not deal with Democrats and compromise, he would never have governed.

But none of this matters to you, you will just smirk and put some quote up here and act morally superior. The lone conservative, standing on principle.

Fine, have it your way.

Terrye on August 25, 2008 at 7:19 AM

“Yep, and that is exactly what worries me. People are going to step back and not stop all the bad policies that a McCain Administration is going to work with the Democrat Congress to push through. McCain voters are going to think that their job is done after keeping Obama out of the White House.” Michael in MI on August 24, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Michael, First and foremost, I would not condemn your genuine concerns for certain policies a McCain administration would pursue. Secondly, my definition of “step back” is hardly what your characterization of the phrase implys. I only meant that I would step back knowing that an Obama administration that would most likely give us eight years of the very liberal policies and Supreme Court appointments we all fear DID NOT come to fruition.

Realizing that most likely the House and Senate will not change partys in this cycle, a Democratic, (and extreme liberal) President would have far too much control to advance a liberal agenda, (and SC appts.) that could effect generations that would have to swallow a government sanctioned socialist ideology for decades.

This should make you WORRY far more than a McCain administration that could at least put most of these liberal policies in check with the veto pen, and hopefully enough Republicans to prevent over-rides.

You obviously don’t trust that McCain “got the message” on immigration reform and this nations outright proclamation that insisted on securing the border first. McCain saw the price of gas and the pain it’s causing and changed his stance on off-shore drilling. I submit that McCain will listen to us, (you, me, and the conservative party) because our voices will be heard loud and clear. With the ALTERNATIVE CHOICE, (AN OBAMA ADMINISTRATION), our voices will certainly fall on deaf ears. In this case, it’s time to STEP UP.

Rovin on August 25, 2008 at 8:20 AM

Michael in MI

You are far more idealistic/ optimistic than me. While I am not convinced that Obama is the Antichrist, I am 100% sure that it will be a disaster if he wins. He cannot make a decision to save his life or support a position on anything longer than a week (and only that long if it polls well). Aside from that, what ideas he has are really bad.

Obama is far enough off the deep end on his own. Obama as President, along with what looks to be a greater Democratic majority in Congress, means that Pelosi and Reid can rave unchecked.

Damiano on August 25, 2008 at 9:10 AM