Free speech, Denver style

posted at 6:02 pm on August 24, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

My friend Griff Jenkins at Fox News covered the “Recreate ’68″ protest rally that preceded the Democratic convention in Denver today. As you can see for yourself, Griff and his Fox News microphone gets swallowed up quickly by a hostile crowd that refuses to engage with him at all. Instead, they yell slogans to keep him from interviewing anyone:

So everyone gets a chance to exercise their free speech, and at the same time, no one says a damned thing. Meanwhile, the protesters lose a chance to get their message out over what they see as a hostile media outlet — and an opportunity to change minds. Instead, they chant mindless slogans like “Fox Is Slander” without any explanation of that argument either.

Hey, Griff. In just a week, you’ll be among the sane in St. Paul. Keep your chin up, buddy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ed, I’ve never known you to use that kind of language before. I think it’s beneath you.

jgapinoy on August 24, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Griff is nuts man. I hope he has a weapon on him or security near by.

elduende on August 24, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Umm isnt saying “Fox is slander” slanderous ?

But then I use logic and not insanity.

William Amos on August 24, 2008 at 6:11 PM

That’s how the commies get so well informed, by drowning out their adversaries, Fairness Doctrine, speech codes, political correctness, you know.

Akzed on August 24, 2008 at 6:14 PM

Defector01 on August 24, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Yeah, just like Fox will “slander” these braindead protesters by simply replaying their infantile behavior on the airwaves.

jimmy the notable on August 24, 2008 at 6:15 PM

I also saw Griff in a parade asking people about freedom of speech and being told “F*ck Fox News”

HawaiiLwyr on August 24, 2008 at 6:18 PM

is it just me or does that scene before you play the video look like something out of “Dawn of the Dead”? Defector01 on August 24, 2008 at 6:15 PM

More like “Dawn of the Brain Dead.”

Mojave Mark on August 24, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Remember, to the libs, telling the truth is ‘slander.’ I prefer the Ann Coulter book.

rmgraha on August 24, 2008 at 6:19 PM

:D Griff always cracks me up on Red Eye.

It's Vintage, Duh on August 24, 2008 at 6:21 PM

I’ve seen enough Griff Jenkins on Fox News to know he’s there to run into crowds of moonbats and get reactions on video. What’s the point? Running into a crowd of liberal morons with a Fox News microphone – just send Sean Hannity next time. We get it! There are anti-war marches and recreate 68 and Cindy Sheehan there! Sheesh.

Marcus on August 24, 2008 at 6:21 PM

I think he thinks his ticket from nearly-famous to mega-celebrity is being maimed on live TV.

jgapinoy on August 24, 2008 at 6:21 PM

jgapinoy on August 24, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Huh?

flipflop on August 24, 2008 at 6:23 PM

You knew I was a scorpion…

Dems acting like Dems. Big surprise.

VolMagic on August 24, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Ummm…I think it’s a good probability that a majority of these SmakTards already have their plane tickets to Humphrey…Of course the truly dedicated ones will pack into their 89 Dodge minivans and road trip it.

Hopefully, the Denver PD will lay down some good hippie beat down and subsequent incarceration. Fewer of them and the precedence has been set….It’s OK to put the stick/taser/pepper spray to good use against unruly morons.

BigWyo on August 24, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Liberal Fascism. Shut ‘em down if you don’t like what they have to say.

bikermailman on August 24, 2008 at 6:25 PM

You.need.to.get.laid.

mylegsareswollen on August 24, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Personally, I hope if Keith Olbermann shows up at the RNC that someone kicks his ass.

Marcus on August 24, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Well, the city of Denver did “relax” the marijuana laws for the convention…

JetBoy on August 24, 2008 at 6:31 PM

jgapinoy on August 24, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Huh?

flipflop on August 24, 2008 at 6:23 PM

The “d” word.

jgapinoy on August 24, 2008 at 6:31 PM

If only Olbermann would get that kind of treatment.

William Amos on August 24, 2008 at 6:33 PM

They then all went out and smoked a bowl, pulling muscles patting themselves on the back on how they “spoke TRUTH to power” and “stuck it to THE MAN!”

Techie on August 24, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Marcus on August 24, 2008 at 6:28 PM

No need for violence. Keith Olbemann is a simpleton who can be defeated in the battle of ideas.

terryannonline on August 24, 2008 at 6:35 PM

This convention is gonna be something else. Most networks are going to try to pretend all the wackos don’t exist, but it will get covered one way or another. And normal people all across the country are going to be saying to themselves “You know what, I think we had better go vote for McCain.”

forest on August 24, 2008 at 6:36 PM

I think one of those guys was one of those street people who got free haircuts….?

d1carter on August 24, 2008 at 6:40 PM

mylegsareswollen on August 24, 2008 at 6:27 PM

I’m very happily married.
You need to get a clue.

jgapinoy on August 24, 2008 at 6:41 PM

nuts

trailortrash on August 24, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Try again…
You need to get a clue.

jgapinoy on August 24, 2008 at 6:43 PM

That was a Dan Rather “Don’t touch unless your going to arrest me” moment.

RobCon on August 24, 2008 at 6:50 PM

To be fair, I always wanted to do that to NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, PBS, NPR, BBC, CBC, ect.

RobCon on August 24, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Pfft, he went looking for this.
If you’re dumb enough to wander in front of a protest march don’t complain about what happens next.

e-pirate on August 24, 2008 at 6:53 PM

There is your Democrat party in action, folks. Classy as always.

VinnyL on August 24, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Try again…
You need to get a clue.

Lighten up buddy.

JeffreyLloyd on August 24, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Pfft, he went looking for this.

e-pirate on August 24, 2008 at 6:53 PM

exactly so if Mother Sheehan wanted to be the B*tch in the ditch at Crawford she should have been happy if she got motored down.

sven10077 on August 24, 2008 at 6:55 PM

I see no one there who is clean and articulate.

Big Orange on August 24, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Lighten up buddy.

JeffreyLloyd on August 24, 2008 at 6:54 PM

I was just trying to get Ed to lighten up! (at 6:06PM)

jgapinoy on August 24, 2008 at 6:57 PM

I would LOVE to turn a fire hose loose on those greasy, flea infested dirt bags and roll them down the road a few yards.

Big Orange on August 24, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Dems acting like Dems. Big surprise.

VolMagic on August 24, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Well to be fair in the other video posted in headlines Griff notes they don’t like Barack Obama either. They are extreme leftist, not necessarily Dems. In their extremism Barack Obama is not left enough for them.

terryannonline on August 24, 2008 at 7:01 PM

I watch poor Griff get swallowed up by those massive lemmings that refused to even take a moment to speak their “peace”. Griff was certainly putting his life on the line. Where’s Eason Jorden when you need him?

Rovin on August 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Marcus on August 24, 2008 at 6:28 PM

terryannonline on August 24, 2008 at 6:35 PM

I dunno. The left uses physical intimidation a lot now. From large rowdy demonstrations to support just about any quasi-fascist cause, to shout downs on college campuses, to blockading movement around military bases. For sure not violence back at them, but the fear of beejayzeus needs to be put in them.

JonRoss on August 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM

They want anarchy, and they got anarchy.

SouthernGent on August 24, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Breaking………Senator Clinton to RELEASE her delegates on Wednesday….running of the bulls cancelled.

Rovin on August 24, 2008 at 7:08 PM

These are the same mindless nut jobs that walked the streets during the Vietnam war. They were nothing but a dirty gaggle of dumb asses then and they haven’t changed.

rplat on August 24, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Reminds me of the “Crucify Him!!” crowd at the court of Pilate. Same attitude, different generation.

leftnomore on August 24, 2008 at 7:10 PM

i’ve said this before and i will say it again. I would pay good money to see someone knock one of these A-holes out. just dropem right there in the street.

kara26 on August 24, 2008 at 7:11 PM

If Griff didn’t go out to record these incoherent morons, the MSM would portray them as sympathetic people who need your taxes.

Thanks, Griff!

Right_of_Attila on August 24, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Hmm, I wonder if this is their idea of rational discourse. But then again, in their deluded frame of mind, they probably feel that the Man has beaten them down so far that their only option now is to react as they did here. It’s pretty sad really. I wonder what causes these folks to formulate this sort of world view. Feelings of abandonment, prompting anger towards any authority? Blaming any pain they have on anyone other than themselves? An overactive id? A general lack of hope and purpose, which they try to rectify with this sort of nonsensical “cause?” A malicious desire for power through any means necessary, legitimate and illegitimate?
It’d be cool to interview a former anti-establishment groupie who came to “see the light.”

jgapinoy on August 24, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Profanity is a tool of the weak mind to convey an idea.

Send_Me on August 24, 2008 at 7:13 PM

JonRoss on August 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Yes, but look how much they delegitimize themselves. I think one of the reasons “liberal” became a negative word after the ’60s was because all the disruptions liberals, I mean progressives, made protesting this and that. I just think there are much more effective means of getting your message out.

terryannonline on August 24, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Profanity is a tool of the weak mind to convey an idea.

Send_Me on August 24, 2008 at 7:13 PM

…which is why I was surprised a smart guy like Ed resorted to it.

jgapinoy on August 24, 2008 at 7:16 PM

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

EJDolbow on August 24, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Try again…
You need to get a clue.

jgapinoy on August 24, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Error 404…yeah great blog.

fossten on August 24, 2008 at 7:20 PM

I need to go clean my ears, i thought they were saying another word that begins with the letter “F”…and whats with the “he asked for it” attitude here? Should FOX reporters just stay off the steets? Screw that.

surrounded on August 24, 2008 at 7:22 PM

What?………………… No, “The Whole World is Watching?”

Seven Percent Solution on August 24, 2008 at 7:24 PM

…which is why I was surprised a smart guy like Ed resorted to it.

jgapinoy on August 24, 2008 at 7:16 PM

No one says a damned thing” is considered profanity?

The thing about profanity, even very mild profanity like this, is that is must be used judiciously to be effective.

People who say the F word every other word will never be taken serious. But every now and then a phrase like the one above is the perfect phrase to get the point across.

By the way, SMART people use the word “damned” all the time. I suspect it might even be in the Bible and some of the greatest literature of all time.

EJDolbow on August 24, 2008 at 7:25 PM

I’m sure those folks are all about free speech and respect for diverse views. As long as that speech and view comports with theirs, otherwise you’re looking for a ticket to a re-education camp.

GarandFan on August 24, 2008 at 7:25 PM

leftnomore on August 24, 2008 at 7:10 PM

So we are saying Griff is kinda like Jesus ? Or even better, like the Obamessiah ? Let me think about that and get back with you.

JonRoss on August 24, 2008 at 7:26 PM

logis on August 24, 2008 at 7:31 PM

When Mao’s revolution was in full swing, the Commie loyalist villager would finger a villager for being a nationalist and they’ed kill’em and eat their organs.

this is the same thing, just unescalated.

TheSitRep on August 24, 2008 at 7:32 PM

EJDolbow on August 24, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Damned straight EJ!!!!!

Rovin on August 24, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Poor Griff. Imagine the stench of that many moonbat scumbags.

ReubenJCogburn on August 24, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Nobody ever said they (those doing the chanting) were very bright. They were the high school students who never did their work as a means of saying how intelligent they were and that the work was beneath them.

NTropy on August 24, 2008 at 7:36 PM

terryannonline on August 24, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Let me clarify my comments: There were certainly causes that justifiable to protest in the 1960s. But I think many my age think of hippies talking about the sexual revolution, etc.

terryannonline on August 24, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Pfft, he went looking for this.

e-pirate on August 24, 2008 at 6:53 PM

He is a reporter and that’s where the story is and I don’t believe anyone is “complaining” but rather commenting. That’s okay isn’t it. That being said maybe he would have gotten a better reception had he worn his Lilly Pulitzer jeans.

Cindy Munford on August 24, 2008 at 7:42 PM

surrounded on August 24, 2008 at 7:22 PM

I hope they give the Fox team in Denver more for hazardous duty pay than they do when they are in places like Iraq or Afghanistan.

You might remember the event from September 2006 in San Diego where a (Local) Fox reporter and cameraman was attacked by a husband and wife team involved in a real estate scam? I was reading a blog at the time with both left and right commenters, and the liberals were almost completely of the opinion that the Fox people deserved to get assaulted. Might have been a similar ‘asked for it’ or ‘deserved it’ line from them as well. A great many were very happy to see them come to bodily harm.

They actually cheered that the Fox crew came to physical harm. And some people tried to mention that they were the local affiliate – not the hated ‘Fox News’ people that they ‘should’ actually hate and want to see them come to physical harm …. At that page, 4 years ago, and at that protest in Denver, maybe there was the same feeding frenzy attitude that comes from strength in numbers. And if the police don’t crack down on this or other behavior (maybe that is what they actually would like to see them try) this will just continue to escalate.

I’d never step foot where there are that many moonbats around. Congratulations, DNC, these are your creations. You did nothing to stop and actually encouraged them to believe that Fox News are liars, the Bush knew about 9/11 and lied about Iraq. They are all yours. They bought you, and they own you now. There’s no going back. These freaks are out. In other words:

“you let the clown(s) out of the box.” And “Some people aren’t looking for anything logical – they just want to watch the world burn.”

wise_man on August 24, 2008 at 7:42 PM

They actually cheered that the Fox crew came to physical harm. And some people tried to mention that they were the local affiliate – not the hated ‘Fox News’ people that they ’should’ actually hate and want to see them come to physical harm …. At that page, 4 years ago, and at that protest in Denver, maybe there was the same feeding frenzy attitude that comes from strength in numbers. And if the police don’t crack down on this or other behavior (maybe that is what they actually would like to see them try) this will just continue to escalate.

Why do the Altamont ’69 “security” preparations come to mind?

NTropy on August 24, 2008 at 7:48 PM

wise_man on August 24, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Well said. I would also place some of the credo’s to the evolution of our higher education that has become a liberal societal joke.

Rovin on August 24, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Doesn’t “Re-create ’68″ know that it is sabotaging the Dem convention, and that Fox is in favor of same?

daryl_herbert on August 24, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Hippies smell bad.

Zorro on August 24, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Ew. I bet Griff feels dirty. Someone find that man a shower.

flyawaybird on August 24, 2008 at 7:55 PM

jgapinoy on August 24, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Please….

drjohn on August 24, 2008 at 7:57 PM

daryl_herbert on August 24, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Fox is interested in sabotaging the Dem convention? I hope I have misunderstood you but just in case…Grow up.

Cindy Munford on August 24, 2008 at 7:58 PM

There’s something happening here
What it is ain’t exactly clear
There’s a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware
I think it’s time we stop, children, what’s that sound
Everybody look what’s going down

There’s battle lines being drawn
Nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind
I think it’s time we stop, hey, what’s that sound
Everybody look what’s going down

What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly say, hooray for our side

It’s time we stop, hey, what’s that sound
Everybody look what’s going down

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you’re always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away

davidk on August 24, 2008 at 7:58 PM

terryannonline on August 24, 2008 at 7:42 PM

I protest Hippies.

- The Cat

P.S. What’s wrong with This Picture?

MirCat on August 24, 2008 at 7:59 PM

And these cretins say conservatives are fascists?

Freedom of speech is only for the left?

drjohn on August 24, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Doesn’t “Re-create ‘68″ know that it is sabotaging the Dem convention, and that Fox is in favor of same?

I know I am!

NTropy on August 24, 2008 at 8:01 PM

MirCat on August 24, 2008 at 7:59 PM

I am assuming it is the short bus.

Cindy Munford on August 24, 2008 at 8:03 PM

MirCat on August 24, 2008 at 7:59 PM

LOL!

terryannonline on August 24, 2008 at 8:06 PM

I protest Hippies.

- The Cat

P.S. What’s wrong with This Picture?

MirCat on August 24, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Too Funny! Nice one Cat!

Rovin on August 24, 2008 at 8:10 PM

“Speaking” “truth” to power.

sondiehl on August 24, 2008 at 8:12 PM

jgapinoy on August 24, 2008 at 6:06 PM

You were kidding, right?

coldshot on August 24, 2008 at 8:14 PM

logis on August 24, 2008 at 7:31 PM

What’s that called, Goddard’s rule?

tlynch001 on August 24, 2008 at 8:14 PM

I can’t get the video to work.

wepeople on August 24, 2008 at 8:17 PM

P.S. What’s wrong with This Picture?

MirCat on August 24, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Wouldn’t have believed it I hadn’t seen it.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.–Robert A. Heinlein

backwoods conservative on August 24, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Remember Obama’s promise of a “Civilian National Security Force” that had everyone was scratching their heads a couple of months ago?

Where would his recruits come from, I wonder.

Please vote.

jeff_from_mpls on August 24, 2008 at 8:36 PM

jeff_from_mpls on August 24, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Hey, China’s got one of thems.

- The Cat

MirCat on August 24, 2008 at 8:37 PM

“Liberals practice the same kind of free speech that Hitler’s Brownshirts practiced.”

logis on August 24, 2008 at 7:31 PM

What’s that called, Goddard’s rule?

tlynch001 on August 24, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Godwin’s Law, actually. But let’s fix this – Liberals practice the same kind of free speech that Mao Tse Tung and Pol Pot practiced.” Now we’ve neatly avoided Godwin’s Law, and we’re factually correct. Not to mention a little dig at the NYT’s politically correct spellings that are so popular with the MSM.

Orson Buggeigh on August 24, 2008 at 8:38 PM

You really have to feel for the people of Denver this week. They must all feel like they are trapped in the middle a long nightmare version of the classic Monty Python “Spot The Looney!” skit!

pilamaye on August 24, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Hey, China’s got one of thems.

- The Cat

It’s funny, China at least had the sense to hide its thugs during the Olympics coverage.

Looks like the Democrat Party has a lot to learn as they embark in their new direction.

jeff_from_mpls on August 24, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Free speech, Denver Democrat style

Fixed it for ya Ed!

Kini on August 24, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Proving my point that liberals get older chronologically, but not in maturity past the age of 3.

davenp35 on August 24, 2008 at 8:55 PM

pilamaye on August 24, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Wouldn’t it be great if the Democrats made such a mess of Denver and Colorado that it turned the undecideds over to the conservative side and the percieved purple state turned bright red?????

Rovin on August 24, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Funny times we live in. These idiots support MSNBC who’s parent is GE. The same GE who is one of the biggest defense contractors in America.

Hummer53 on August 24, 2008 at 9:02 PM

The only thing worse than a hippie is an old hippie…

Wyznowski on August 24, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Where would his recruits come from, I wonder.
Please vote.
jeff_from_mpls on August 24, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Maybe Obama is going to get his good friend Charlie Rangle to figure out where they can get people to fill the ranks of the “Civilian National Security Force” .

wise_man on August 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM

Wyznowski on August 24, 2008 at 9:02 PM

Some of us old hippies aren’t too bad.

He’s an old hippie
And he don’t know what to do
Should he hang on to the old
Should he grab on to the new
He’s an old hippie
His new life is just a bust
He ain’t trying to change nobody
He just trying real hard to adjust

We were pretty much libertarian without much knowledge. Then one day we listened to William F. Buckley and thought, “Damn. (Sorry, J.) I guess I’m a conservative. Ain’t that a kick in the pants?”

We don’t fit in much anywhere, but we love our country. And after twenty years at the EIB Institute of Conservative Studies, we learned how to put that love of country into right action.

davidk on August 24, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Old hippies face the reality that ‘Getting lucky’ means you found your car in the parking lot.

Rovin on August 24, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Rovin on August 24, 2008 at 9:53 PM

That would be funny if it wasn’t true. :[

{Friendly critique: You misspelled “Conspiracy” on your blog.(headline)}