Maybe this is the Biden-Obama ticket?

posted at 4:06 pm on August 23, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The McCain campaign is already referring to Joe Biden as Barack Obama’s mentor, and in his introduction of his new running mate, Obama seemed to agree. Obama forgot which person would run for which job, as you can see in his introduction of Biden at his rally in Springfield:

Let me introduce to you the next President … the next Vice-President of the United States of America … Joe Biden!

Well, maybe the reverse would make more sense, given Obama’s utter lack of experience. Obama himself just underscored the importance of experience by picking Biden. Hillary Clinton’s backers have a ready-made solution for Obama.

The question from this point will be which Democrat will make more gaffes from now until the election. So far. Obama’s up, 1-0.

Update (AP): Here’s the statement from Team Maverick:

“Barack Obama sounded as though he turned over the top spot on the ticket today to his new mentor, when he introduced Joe Biden as the next president. The reality is that nothing has changed since Joe Biden first made his assessment that Barack Obama is not ready to lead. He wasn’t ready then and he isn’t ready now.”

I realize both camps play the gaffe game, but for what it’s worth, I think the microscrutiny of each candidate’s statements is one of the most irritatingly juvenile aspects of the campaign, just a short step up from the nutroots psychoanalyzing McCain for racism based on the Britney ad. I wish we could get rid of it.

Comments

Even better: “Barack America!”

aero on August 23, 2008 at 4:08 PM

Even better: “Barack America!”

aero on August 23, 2008 at 4:08 PM

That’s what I was going to write!

It’s 1-1, Ed Morrissey.

DanStark on August 23, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Obama Bin Biden

iam7545 on August 23, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Obama Bin Biden

Instant Classic!

JeffreyLloyd on August 23, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Time to stock up on popcorn. This race is going to be lots of fun.

rightwingprof on August 23, 2008 at 4:13 PM

If you are Irish – O’Biden

iam7545 on August 23, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Haha, I look forward to that mistake being made often.

AbaddonsReign on August 23, 2008 at 4:13 PM

I thought I heard “Barack America” also.

Ian on August 23, 2008 at 4:14 PM

I like “Obiden”

Nelsa on August 23, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Instant Classic!

Bin = son of

iam7545 on August 23, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Obama almost called Biden one other time before that. Also, Biden messed up Obama’s name. They both had a time getting through their speeches.

Biden was a good attack dog though. He’ll keep after his friend McCain and this team will keep referring to the current administration as the Bush/McCain administration, not the Bush/Cheney administration even though McCain has repeatedly been at odds with Bush.

McCain needs to get out there immediately and see if, besides Fox News, other news outlets will give him any time to rebut some of this. They can’t let any of this hang out there too long.

So much for change. Sounds like the same old politics to me.

kerrhome on August 23, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Joe and B.O.!

backwoods conservative on August 23, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Forgot the teleprompter again.

Corsair on August 23, 2008 at 4:17 PM

The Original Amateur Hour.

TooTall on August 23, 2008 at 4:18 PM

We just need Teddy Kennedy to step out and say, “Osama bin Biden.” How’s that for a topper?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 4:18 PM

…from another Blog: Obama Bi(n La)den

Dale in Atlanta on August 23, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Obama/Biden: The first BJ in the White House since Bill Clinton

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 4:19 PM

A Comedy of Errors!

backwoods conservative on August 23, 2008 at 4:21 PM

good thing barry worked on his telepromter issues in Hawaii.

custer on August 23, 2008 at 4:21 PM

good thing barry worked on his telepromter issues in Hawaii.

custer on August 23, 2008 at 4:21 PM

We haven’t gotten to the debates, yet. There’s still plenty of time for gaffes-O’plenty.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Oh yeah, by the way, if you didn’t know, Biden has a better IQ than you…

DanStark on August 23, 2008 at 4:25 PM

The Gaffemaster returns.

Sorry. This was not an Obama gaffe. It was one of his first honest moments.

Frankly, Biden had me cringing throughtout his speech. It looked like he was going to go Howard Dean a few times. I don’t think he can hold it together. This is going to be ugly.

progressoverpeace on August 23, 2008 at 4:26 PM

The glamour boys swear they are a diva
The glamour boys have it all under control
Always dancing and always laughing
The glamour boys are playing the role
The glamour boys never have no money
The glamour boys wear the most expensive clothes
The glamour boys are always at the party
Where the money comes from heaven only knows….

Sgt. Hartman on August 23, 2008 at 4:27 PM

DanStark on August 23, 2008 at 4:25 PM

And he graduated 76th out of 85 in law school. Makes McCain’s 894 out of 899 from Annapolis irrelevant.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 4:23 PM

Exactly. They need a flawless, and I mean without a speck of gaffe, convention, or else these guys are toast.

No way will they pull it off.

jeff_from_mpls on August 23, 2008 at 4:30 PM

All that build-up for this? Mentee-Mentor ’08 LOL

jtorres138 on August 23, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Freudian slip!

Seixon on August 23, 2008 at 4:30 PM

We should REALLY trust Biden who procaimed he wasn’t the guy. Way to go, Joe.

SouthernGent on August 23, 2008 at 4:31 PM

President Eisenhower’s commencement address to the Naval Academy class of 1958 (McCain’s class).

But finally, there is one other quality I would mention among these that I believe will fit you for difficult and important posts. This is a healthy and lively sense of humor.

A casual pleasantry adds zest to a moment, but a genuine sense of humor is a deeper matter. It is in this deeper sense that I refer to it now.

One of the characteristics of a free people is their ceaseless search for knowledge and truth, and for higher standards of excellence. Their capacity to accept their mistakes in good humor-to experience setbacks without fear or resentment or embarrassment-adds vitality to their searching. A sense of humor goes hand in hand with independence of thought and an eternally questioning mind.

A Communist is not permitted the adventure of this kind of searching.

To him there is only one truth-that ordained by the party-and that truth must be grimly and subserviently followed. Communists would find no meaning in the old saw “always take your work seriously, never yourself.”

We know that one cardinal objective proclaimed in our Declaration of Independence is the pursuit of happiness. In that lifelong pursuit a sense of humor can relieve tension, soothe the pain of disappointment and strengthen the spirit for the formidable tasks that always lie ahead.

And incidentally, at this moment I hope your own sense of humor is sufficiently active to assure your tolerance of the thoughts I have placed before you, even if you feel no compelling reason for pondering them.

Thank you, and may God bless all of you.

Wow. Substitute Communist for Democrat and it is still relevant today.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Maybe they should just anoint themselves as, “The TWO” . . .

Trochilus on August 23, 2008 at 4:34 PM

The One has “dropped” His Deuce.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Sorry. Sub Democrat for Communisty…yada, yada, yada.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 4:35 PM

After all the whining the libs did over GWB’s slips of the tongue – THEY HAVE A REAL WINNER HERE !!!

stenwin77 on August 23, 2008 at 4:38 PM

What women want: BO and Hair Plugs ’08.

AZCoyote on August 23, 2008 at 4:40 PM

irritatingly juvenile aspects of the campaign

???

Dang are you in the wrong biz. :D

RushBaby on August 23, 2008 at 4:40 PM

B.O. and J.B.

…reminds me of who I’m usually encountering at 3am when I’m on patrol at work

0.o

SilverStar830 on August 23, 2008 at 4:41 PM

I agree, but that’s just a part of political life. The press destroyed Quayle with a gaffe.

As they are, I think they are a waste of time, when policy is more important. But as political ammunition if they reinforce an image of a candidate they are going to work. So they’ll never go away, sadly.

Spirit of 1776 on August 23, 2008 at 4:42 PM

I realize both camps play the gaffe game…

But…Obama is chock-full of gaffes. Almost to the point where they’re a little more that just gaffes…

Sgt. Hartman on August 23, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Awesome tune, awesome group! One of my favs…

JetBoy on August 23, 2008 at 4:42 PM

We should REALLY trust Biden who procaimed he wasn’t the guy. Way to go, Joe.

SouthernGent on August 23, 2008 at 4:31 PM

To be fair to Biden (I know, it’s hard, haha), he didn’t have a serious look on his face when he said it. More like “Get off my lawn please” than “I’m not it, excuse me while I go cry in a fetal position.”

DanStark on August 23, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Who wants to predict the winner?

INC on August 23, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Ed,

Ordinarily I would agree with you about looking for any little slip up, but I’m not convinced this is so little. The empty suit/not ready to lead meme is catching on and he decided he had to have somebody people thought was ready to be President. The thought process that brought him to Biden was him thinking of Biden as Presidential.

RW_theoriginal on August 23, 2008 at 4:49 PM

But but, he went to lived and went to school in other countries when he was a kid and he went on that Iraq/Europe trip to get his foreign policy creds. He is all set. I know I am now comfortable. /sarc

Cindy Munford on August 23, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Who wants to predict the winner?

INC on August 23, 2008 at 4:46 PM

I predict Obama, just because I expect him to be in front of the cameras more.

backwoods conservative on August 23, 2008 at 4:50 PM

They have to hit back on the Obama gaffes, even though everyone makes them, because the left is going to keep on the Iran/Iraq thing forever if they don’t.

pedestrian on August 23, 2008 at 4:50 PM

I just saw a lovefest where Barak and the MSM are telling us that Biden is the genious of foreign policy……..

What about………..

“Biden calls for $1 billion in emergency aid to Georgia”

What the f*#k…………?

Russia broke it, let THEM pay for it! Why the hell should the US tax payers pay to rubuild (the country) of Georgia?

When Russia invades again……….. no body is going to do anything about it ANYWAY!

Yeah…………….. foreign policy genious, pathetic.

Seven Percent Solution on August 23, 2008 at 4:57 PM

I predict Obama, just because I expect him to be in front of the cameras more.

backwoods conservative on August 23, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Not unless they chain Biden up in the same holding cell they use for Michelle. Biden will go to any length to get face time and the reporters know he’s good for a memorable line or two.

RW_theoriginal on August 23, 2008 at 5:01 PM

You cannot go to a Democrat convention or gathering lately, without running into “…the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy, I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

abinitioadinfinitum on August 23, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Yeah, the gaffe game can be juvenile but I love it when the nutroots show the world just how nutty they are. It helps define and expose them far more than it defines their opponent, and as such I hope they don’t get rid of that impulse.

Buy Danish on August 23, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Allahpundit, thanks for saying this. Too many posts here and elsewhere are focused on this kind of stuff, and it’s always ridiculously partisan. The interesting posts that matter are the ones on actual policies and issues.

tneloms on August 23, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Obama is the next Jason Castro me thinks.

tomas on August 23, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Blame the guy who forced the country to accept the legal argument of “It depends on what the definition of ‘is’ is”, and blame those that accepted it.

If someone can’t get his basic intelligence across, given a huge amount of publicity for anything he wants to publicize, then that person is just not intelligent. The gaffes wouldn’t mean anything. Now, in BHO’s case there’s a problem. He has no ideas – none that he wants to really publicize. He doesn’t say anything of substance, so he’s all gaffe. Unfortunately for him, he makes tons of gaffes. And most of them are pretty funny. That’s life. It’s hard to fight comedy.

progressoverpeace on August 23, 2008 at 5:20 PM

I agree to a certain extent… but when you pick a guy as VP who not long ago said that you aren’t ready for the job, I think it’s pretty much fair game.

RightWinged on August 23, 2008 at 5:28 PM

progressoverpeace on August 23, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Amen, and since the media jumps on the right but lets the left slide why shouldn’t we make fun. Especially since it has no impact on the election it’s just a chance to pop off amusing one liners. Please, Ed, don’t go all squishy on harmless fun. There are a lot of funny people on HA that I would hate to see intimated by worrying about appearing juvenile.

Cindy Munford on August 23, 2008 at 5:29 PM

Did you ever see the look on the face of someone that just took a sip of scotch on the rocks that did so to be cool? There face has this look like they are trying very hard to enjoy it.

That is what Barry looked like today. He looked like he was trying to look like he was happy with Biden.

He better get used to it. I am sure he will be getting 3 am phone calls “Did you hear what he said today?”

iam7545 on August 23, 2008 at 5:33 PM

How the hell are three Clintoons going to put the lipstick on these two arrogant, ignorant, gasbag, pigs?
The Clintoon crime family has got to be laughing hysterically at the thought of these two winning anything, else Herself is sharpening her knife for the castration of the 0bamanation in Denver.

dhunter on August 23, 2008 at 5:35 PM

All this drama is probably a ratings bonanza for the convention.

Cindy Munford on August 23, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Obama Bin Biden

Instant Classic!

JeffreyLloyd on August 23, 2008 at 4:12 PM

I know!

carbon_footprint on August 23, 2008 at 5:41 PM

carbon_footprint on August 23, 2008 at 5:41 PM

You are a genius.

Cindy Munford on August 23, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Where’s that damn teleprompter when you need it?

drjohn on August 23, 2008 at 5:53 PM

The Gaffemaster returns

Der Gaffenmeister™ (do not use without permission :)

Entelechy on August 23, 2008 at 6:05 PM

The sad truth, though, is that the idgit voters — the ones who decide as they walk into the voting booth — are never going to follow the issues closely enough to make an educated decision. We unfortunately have to rely on gaffes, cheap shots, and superficial image considerations to sway them right up until the last minute.

aero on August 23, 2008 at 6:11 PM

I wish we could get rid of it.

I have to say that you guys are doing a great job of that. I wish I could give you a cookie or something, but I the Internets don’t seem to be that technologically advanced yet.

PresidenToor on August 23, 2008 at 6:41 PM

WONDER TWIN POWERS ACTIVATE!!!

Anyone see Biden immediately follow up Obama mis-introducing him as the next president by calling him “Barack O’Mara”????????

The 2 must be tight!

Chuck Schick on August 23, 2008 at 6:53 PM

I’ll be waiting (though not holding my breath) to see all the jokes about this on late night come next week.

Odds are roughly 1:1 that if JMac had done this they’d be all over it.

Alas, at least I have Hot Air to come to for chuckles.

rockhead on August 23, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Hey tough guy Biden, remember, you work for the kid.

RobCon on August 23, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Classic Freudian slip?

GarandFan on August 23, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 4:28 PM

NO Whats relevant is Biden was trying his hardest! LMAO!!!
McCain admits that he was a trouble maker!

Chakra Hammer on August 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM

‘He was a tough guy’
Like his grandfather, John McCain was no scrubbed angel when he reached the Naval Academy in 1954. At Episcopal High, a private boarding school in Alexandria, Va., McCain was a rebel, earning the nickname “McNasty” from classmates who didn’t dare cross him.

McCain was an excellent lightweight wrestler in high school. One of McCain’s school friends, Malcolm Matheson, said McCain was no bully but took no guff.

“I always got along with him, but he was a tough guy,” Matheson said. “He was small but feisty. He’s always been that way. . . . If you messed with him, you probably would end up on the wrong side of it.”

Despite his rebellious nature, McCain was destined to attend the Naval Academy, like his grandfather and his father before him.

Ron Thunman, who commanded McCain’s plebe, or first-year, class, had no idea that McCain came from aNavy family but said the young man immediately impressed him. The plebe battalions competed in sports, McCain as a boxer.

What he lacked in skill he made up for in ferocity, Thunman said.

“I got a real kick out of him,” Thunman said. “It was clear that nobody was going to take him down without a hell of an effort.”

Thunman said he noticed McCain had a quick mind and a good sense of humor. He quickly emerged as a leader in his group.

“He stood out because he was just one of those people that you liked and you got a chuckle out of,” Thunman said. “He was somebody who was always moving at top speed in one direction or another. He was never one to hang back.”

A free spirit, McCain chafed under the strict rules of the academy. Each year, he was always in the “Century Club,” students with more than 100 demerits.

It was mostly small stuff: messy quarters, unshined shoes, reporting late to formation, things like that, recalled Gamboa, who roomed with McCain for three years.

“He and I, we got a lot of demerits,” Gamboa said. “It was almost impossible not to.”

McCain’s grades were good in the subjects he enjoyed, such as literature and history. Gamboa said McCain would rather read a history book than do his math homework. He did just enough to pass the classes he didn’t find stimulating.

“He stood low in his class,” Gamboa said. “But that was by choice, not design.”

Chakra Hammer on August 23, 2008 at 7:45 PM

oops, another clean, articulate faux pas!

What a maroon

jdsmith0021 on August 23, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Forget about “Re-create ’68”
We’ve got “Re-create ’88”

Doug on August 23, 2008 at 9:25 PM

I know!

carbon_footprint on August 23, 2008 at 5:41 PM

In honor of Biden are you taking credit for work that is not yours?

EJDolbow on August 23, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Obama/Biden: O.B. Wan Komedy.

jgapinoy on August 23, 2008 at 9:37 PM

It’s the Gaffe Ticket ’08.

Mrs. Happy Housewife on August 23, 2008 at 10:42 PM

OBAMA/BIDEN = SMUG/PLUGS

byteshredder on August 24, 2008 at 1:08 AM

This is great. It can’t possibly work. Obama is too arrogant to stand next to someone who surpasses him in political experience (not to mention self-perceived IQ) and Biden’s arrogance won’t allow him to accept second place. Curtains.

jackmac on August 24, 2008 at 6:21 AM

Where’s Dukakis when you need him?

dablob on August 25, 2008 at 9:52 AM