Flashback: The obligatory “I think I probably have a much higher IQ than you do” clip

posted at 6:18 pm on August 23, 2008 by Allahpundit

“There’s a bit of C-SPAN tape that should surface quickly if he’s named,” predicted Kaus two days ago, and now — courtesy of C-SPAN, no less — here it is. Read Ed’s post from Thursday before you click or you won’t recognize the various lies as they whiz past. Having now watched it, I’m surprised it caused him such grief at the time: While the sentiment is nasty, his demeanor isn’t, and the guy it’s directed at seems to take it in good enough humor. Egotistical, loudmouthed, and affable — it’s Biden being Biden.

Exit question: What’ll end up getting more buzz as this clip circulates, his attitude or his hairline?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Someone should find Frank and get an interview,

ninjapirate on August 23, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Wow, I’m used to seeing him as he looks now…

doubleplusundead on August 23, 2008 at 6:22 PM

I don’t even know that I’d recognize him without that voice and smarmy douchebaggery.

doubleplusundead on August 23, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Both Biden and Obama are insecure, but in different ways. Obama is confident about his background, but insecure about his decisions. Biden is (quite wrongly) confident about his decisions, and insecure about his background.

RBMN on August 23, 2008 at 6:23 PM

People who quote their resume’ are annoying. Particularly when the resume’ is padded with half truths and outright lies. I also wonder when Biden’s plagerism is going to come up again.

highhopes on August 23, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Where did all that phony white hair come from that he has now? Think it’s some of Chris Dodd’s hair?

Travis1 on August 23, 2008 at 6:25 PM

None of what he named makes one have a high IQ.

SouthernGent on August 23, 2008 at 6:28 PM

crap i do not need to listen to this for the next 4 years

custer on August 23, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Travis1 on August 23, 2008 at 6:25 PM

They take it from the lower half of the hair that he has left on the sides and in the back. If you put his head in water, and pulled it back out you’d see very thin hair where you’d never see thin hair normally.

RBMN on August 23, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Hair Plugs for Men will be doing boffo business now.

JammieWearingFool on August 23, 2008 at 6:33 PM

The way he said it in context, ending up in the top half of his class might refer to the grades of his last semester only. Which really isn’t that big a deal for someone focused on recovering from a big screw-up.

But the whole IQ think seems a part of his belief that he is superior to everyone else. Obama should watch out. I don’t expect narcissists work very well together. Those two gaffomatics are going to both blame each other for their falling poll numbers.

pedestrian on August 23, 2008 at 6:33 PM

^^^^^

I agree, pedestrian. I wonder how many times Biden is not going to be on the same page as Obama. Two huge know-it-all egos will most likely not feel the need to go over bullet points.

SouthernGent on August 23, 2008 at 6:35 PM

While the sentiment is nasty, his demeanor isn’t…

He is passive aggressive.

EJDolbow on August 23, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Good LORD what an ASS.

S. Weasel on August 23, 2008 at 6:38 PM

I, for one, am impressed with Biden’s humility.

sven10077 on August 23, 2008 at 6:41 PM

WOW, another arrogant team Oblahblah bastard.

byteshredder on August 23, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Man, way to screw up a friendly spar, Joe! Geeez.

Seixon on August 23, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Change, change, change…he sounds then a lot like Obama sounds now – no details, just change.

WisCon on August 23, 2008 at 6:43 PM

gah

Lawyer Politicians are such greazy slimey bottom feeders.

That was only one rung above comparing penis size, without actually ever whipping it out and proving it.

*for the record, it’s a scientific fact that yelling braggarts and the vocal ‘better-than-you’ types generally have tiny peni. i wonder what kind of vehicle he drives

0.o

SilverStar830 on August 23, 2008 at 6:44 PM

I’ve been watching Biden for decades now, just for the humor. If you think Obama is the Gaffemaster, just wait. I suspect that Obama picked Biden so that people would stop noticing Obama’s gaffes.

Buford Gooch on August 23, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Obama Bin Biden 2008

redrock on August 23, 2008 at 6:46 PM

That clip defines smug and smarmy.

Dr. Manhattan on August 23, 2008 at 6:46 PM

That clip defines smug and smarmy.

Dr. Manhattan on August 23, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Smug Squared ’08?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 6:48 PM

I can’t imagine that anyone on the left (besides Biden himself) is nearly as happy as I am that bammy selected this circus act.

I’m starting to think bammy really doesn’t want to be President. Which is just fine with me.

NoDonkey on August 23, 2008 at 6:48 PM

The thing about the clip (other than the condescension) is the lie about where he graduated in law school. 76th out of 85 is memory serves me.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 6:50 PM

The bitter bumpkins may be happy with Biden…until he rips up Mittens or whatever lame choice Fudge Haus makes for his VP.

alphie on August 23, 2008 at 6:52 PM

alphie on August 23, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Better send Biden your library card so he can rip off a new speech or three then.

sven10077 on August 23, 2008 at 6:54 PM

alphie, quite a ticket ya got there. One has-been and a never-done-anything wanna be.

GarandFan on August 23, 2008 at 6:54 PM

sven10077 on August 23, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Haha. Score.

Spirit of 1776 on August 23, 2008 at 6:57 PM

alphie on August 23, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Doubtful. Obama called Biden the next president of the US, and Biden got Obama’s last name completely wrong. And that was just in the first couple of minutes. You still have another 2 1/2 months to completely screw this up.

You people are gems.

Chuck Schick on August 23, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Now that was almost worse than Hillary. I barely got past halfway and had to turn this dumbass off.
Sounds like Chriss Matthews without the tingle.

Custer, 4 years? I’m gonna need earplugs and mute button the next three months!

Unless Hillary rides to the rescue on broomstick one then maybe just one week!

dhunter on August 23, 2008 at 6:59 PM

NoDonkey on August 23, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Someone mentioned it before and I see this as plausible. After winning the election and defeating Alan Keys, Obama knew that running for president would raise his profile even more. Many in DC try again and again, and benefit from the recognition. Mayve Obama planned to be the DNC’s nominee, but he’s young. Surely Hillary would have gotten it, as was her time. Just as is seeming to be for McCain. You try hard enough, and eventually the roll of the dice comes out in your favor. Could be that even Obama was surprised at how much of a rockstar he’s become.

From a speech?

And little if any practical experience? And then this went ballistic, and he’s in it now. Obama’s rise so far has been like the internet tech stock bubble, for the same reasons. Maybe he’s afraid that when he can’t kick the world leader who is threatening the United States and himself off the radar by petitioning he nominating signatures. Or if he can’t vote “present” as he did 130 times in the illinois senate at the next genuine crisis that he would face as president, and this scares the cr*p out of him. But I doubt that he’s actively trying to throw this election now. When John Kerry lost, he found out that his supporters aren’t there anymore. This is Obama’s go. Perhaps earlier than he wanted, but it’s now.

wise_man on August 23, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Hey, if Obama can turn water into wine, why can’t he turn thin air into hair?

Jim Treacher on August 23, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Could the person from “The Nose On Your Face” use the audio from this and make another Volume of “The Chronicles Of The Obamessiah” PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chakra Hammer on August 23, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Joey B. is up for re-election to the Senate this year. Is he smug enough to keep his name on the ballot? Is that even legal?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 7:14 PM

With this team-up, there is soooooo much that McCain and friends :) can jump on; and the sweet thing is that everything is factual! Not too mention video of just about every gaffe!

If they do not take the advantage of everything that has been handed to them, McCain will definitely loose.

The two that come to mind are:
Biden’s accusation of the Haditha Marines – with no apology.
Obama’s…well, everything that comes out of his mouth!

lsutiger on August 23, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Joe Biden. The Vice President of the Hair Club For Men.

BrianBoru on August 23, 2008 at 7:16 PM

oh man we don’t need Obama and Biden talking down to us for 4 years.. you typical racist white people clinging to your guns, religion and antipathy, American is down right mean Country!.. We are smarter than you! OMG… I don’t drink or do drugs i’m just a normal happy person but that would be a “buzz kill”, maybe it would drive me to start drinking.. ish..

Chakra Hammer on August 23, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Or another Idea, have Biden talking then have Ahnold from Kindergarden COP, “SHUT UP! SHUT UP!!!!!”

Chakra Hammer on August 23, 2008 at 7:19 PM

….to all you Anti-American/Pro-Jihadi Anti-Semitic Delusional Democratic Traitor Leftist Nutbag Moonbats, such as “Chimpy” & “DAVE”; who love you some you with Marxist-Muslim Obama (PBUH)(SAW)(SWT), all I can say is…….BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Dale in Atlanta on August 23, 2008 at 7:23 PM

arrogance to the tenth power

Maxx on August 23, 2008 at 7:26 PM

Wow…Biden is even more “likable” than John Kerry!

deedtrader on August 23, 2008 at 7:27 PM

His original name was Bidet.

profitsbeard on August 23, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Compared to Obama, McCain sounds like Elmer Fudd, Chuck.

alphie on August 23, 2008 at 7:34 PM

He….just….can’t….stop….talking………………..

Sugar Land on August 23, 2008 at 7:36 PM

SilverStar830 on August 23, 2008 at 6:44 PM

He takes the train, didn’t you hear. Apparently that is a selling point.

Cindy Munford on August 23, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Yes. Joe Leiberman did it in 2000.

Tuning Spork on August 23, 2008 at 7:39 PM

I just saw on Hardball, I know WTF?, but anyway, little Chrissy said Bidens networth was only $100-$150k. The guys IQ must be that of a friggen dust broom. 30 years in the house and senate etc with 6 figure incomes, can only muster a net worth of that? He’s obviously an economic moron.

roninacreage on August 23, 2008 at 7:40 PM

NoDonkey on August 23, 2008 at 6:48 PM

I agree. He doesn’t want to win.

Cindy Munford on August 23, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Alphie:

Even three about partial Royal. Wife quite “bottled caves” find police. Frequency abort; climb serif recognize (forth lions). Creature!

carbon_footprint on August 23, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Hey, if Obama can turn water into wine, why can’t he turn thin air into hair?

Jim Treacher on August 23, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Jim T., I set up a retirement fund for you, and every time you amuse me, I put in a penny. Its value has risen enormously in the last two years. Thanks for all the smiles.

Entelechy on August 23, 2008 at 7:41 PM

carbon_footprint, duels and fencing are only fair when faught hard, on equal footings. Use your épée wisely.

Entelechy on August 23, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Yes, carbon,

McCain sounds like that.

alphie on August 23, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Compared to Obama, McCain sounds like Elmer Fudd, Chuck.

-alphie

Um, uh, um, y’know well I think that every working family should have to pay at least 40% of their wealth for the good of the state after all from each according their ability to each according to their needs um uh, I can’t hear myself maintain the enthusiasm G’night now!

sven10077 on August 23, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Use your épée wisely.

Entelechy on August 23, 2008 at 7:44 PM

I beg your pardon? And how would you know about how I use my épée?
: P

carbon_footprint on August 23, 2008 at 7:45 PM

wise_man on August 23, 2008 at 6:59 PM

Do you think those really crazy speeches, This is the moment the ocean recedes/planet heals blah blah blah, are just him buying into the hype. I mean it’s a poor dog that can’t wag his own tail but I think he a little bit too proud of himself.

Cindy Munford on August 23, 2008 at 7:49 PM

Ah, yes. 1988 — the last year we had a true conservative in the White House. [/sigh]

Was that a young Jeffrey Toobin holding the microphone?

Terrie on August 23, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Your memory serves you well. Why would he so blatantly lie about something so easily proven? Because he can. Just like his life-long problem with plagiarism.

Glynn on August 23, 2008 at 7:56 PM

By the way…………… did you know that his farts smell like flowers and roses?

Seven Percent Solution on August 23, 2008 at 7:58 PM

What’s with the long camera shot on the hot chick?

Dudley Smith on August 23, 2008 at 8:03 PM

By the way…………… did you know that his farts smell like flowers and roses?

Seven Percent Solution on August 23, 2008 at 7:58 PM

7%, Al Gore recycles them into green energy. Did you know that he has a Nobel prize now?

Entelechy on August 23, 2008 at 8:04 PM

It seems to me,Joe Biden has a really,
really,big mouth!

canopfor on August 23, 2008 at 8:13 PM

roninacreage on August 23, 2008 at 7:40 PM

He’s 99th out of 100 for wealth in the Senate. Yeah, he must be that stupid to be in the Senate that long and not turn a buck doing other things.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 8:22 PM

A thoroughly offensive wad of a man.

whitetop on August 23, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Typical politican, even in 1988.
2:38 of gaslighting and I still had no idea what he was actually trying to say.

Oh brother it’s gonna be a bumpy couple of months still.

UncleOlaf on August 23, 2008 at 8:24 PM

A thoroughly offensive wad of a man.

whitetop on August 23, 2008 at 8:22 PM

I’ll wait for the DNA test to come back for my judgment on whether he’s a man or not. :)

I’m still giddy about this veep decision though. This guy is a complete divisive A-hole and McCain is going to eat him alive. (Hair plugs and all)

Claypigeon on August 23, 2008 at 8:32 PM

That’s not the Joe Biden I knew know.

Buy Danish on August 23, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Holy…

I’m at a loss for words apart from “Jesus Tap Dancing Christ What A Douchebag!”

MadisonConservative on August 23, 2008 at 8:43 PM

And the hits just keep coming. I have no idea where I’m going to get the time to read all these topics, and its just going to pile up from here on out.

As the RNC commercial producers say, “So much material, so little time”.

Bishop on August 23, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Biden will be the gift that keeps on giving.
Just wait for his react on a tough question like the Marines he smeared unjustly.
The MSM and Donks like him because they can play out their fantasies about someone standing up to evil Republicans but this tactics fails historically.
Cheney was not combative but critical.
Bob Dole ruined himself by telling Bush 41 in 1988 to “quit lying about my record”.
Americans are extremely uneasy about below the belt politics nationally- Biden speech today was an ugly screed that will not play well.

jjshaka on August 23, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Compared to Obama, McCain sounds like Elmer Fudd, Chuck.

alphie on August 23, 2008 at 7:34 PM

See, did I lie about cartoons being on this morning? Who’s looking out for you, Alphie. It’s us at HotAir, that’s who.

Chuck Schick on August 23, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Clean & Jerk

How about

Hope & Dope

>:D

Chakra Hammer on August 23, 2008 at 9:09 PM

or

Dope and Soap!

Chakra Hammer on August 23, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Dope and Soap ticket

Obama and the Dope and Biden with the Soap! BWAHAHAHA!

Chakra Hammer on August 23, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Well you coudln’t tell it today the higher IQ he stepped on something but it wasn’t his intellect.

Gaffe no but these words will come back to haunt Biden and of course Imus is at the center:) it is an Imus Centric World.

Washington Post article

On a lighter note, both Biden and McCain were among the most frequent guests on Don Imus’ radio show, often heaping praise on each other. During one show in 2006, Biden was effusive about McCain’s efforts to stop the Bush Administration’s torture policy.

“You know, I mean, thank God for John McCain in saying, whoa, what are you guys talking about?,” Biden told Imus.

But that friendship is likely to be strained further during the
upcoming election, as Biden is tasked by Obama to attack McCain. It is a task he had already begun even before being picked.

Dr Evil on August 23, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Mickey Kaus;

“Maybe when I get to Denver I’ll find someone who’ll explain
to me why Biden is an inspired choice”.

“He doesn’t have gravitas.He has seniority.”

“We’ve been waiting for him to mature for decades.”

“Only Chuck Hagel(his chief Competitor as Sunday morning
gasbag)could make him look wise”….Virtues:

“He’s likable….I’m thinking…..

————————————————————

So,Hillary,it was always “Seniority” and not “Loyalty” or
“Royalty”!!! haha.

And on Sunday circuit,Biden is a, gas bag extrodannaire,
very interesting!

canopfor on August 23, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Here is when Biden was singing Imus’s praises when did Biden figure out that Imus was a Bad Man? After it was politically advantageous?

Dr Evil on August 23, 2008 at 9:16 PM

entire article here

Dr Evil on August 23, 2008 at 9:15 PM

From their perches on the leading foreign policy committees, Biden and McCain have shadowboxed across the globe, building reputations as experts in their respective parties on war and peace.

But their clash over the direction of the war in Iraq

McCain was right, Biden was proven to wrong and clueless.

Chakra Hammer on August 23, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Kaus: He doesn’t have gravitas. He has seniority.

Isn’t that what they said about Bob Dole?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 23, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Clean and Jerk

Chakra Hammer on Aug 23,2008 at 9:09PM.

Chakra Hammer: Don’t forget,that Biden has ripped off
HilRod,so in the spirit of the Olympics!

That would be,the weightlifting event,
the “Snatch and Lift”! hahaha

canopfor on August 23, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Hey, Chuck Hagel says Biden was a good pick for The Dali Bama and America….

DfDeportation on August 23, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Sorry slow Joe, You have been weighed on the scales and found wanting.

Chakra Hammer on August 23, 2008 at 9:22 PM

Gee, why does he have more hair now?

RobCon on August 23, 2008 at 9:28 PM

This guy is good. The older he gets the more hair he grows … impressive in a metrosexual kind of way.

He reminds me of the guy in grad school that took himself seriously while struggling to achieve a 3.0 GPA. He talked a good game but all of the students knew he didn’t have a clue about the actual subject matter.

David in ATL on August 23, 2008 at 9:30 PM

He looked like Kevin from The Office back then.

Another possibility about the Biden pick… low polling at the Hair Club for Men?

Chuck Schick on August 23, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Fail epically at choosing running mate, among other epic fails…check…

lose election, due to epic fails…check…

blame racism for losing election…check…

come back in 2012 with something to whine about, win election…check…

surrounded on August 23, 2008 at 9:40 PM

A Harvard Medical study found that people who attack your intelligence by stating “My IQ is higher than yours” were found to have an IQ under 110 in every study subject they were able to evaluate.

Beto Ochoa on August 23, 2008 at 9:43 PM

I, for one, am impressed with Biden’s humility.

sven10077 on August 23, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Still laughing! Biden is such a d!ckhead.

Zorro on August 23, 2008 at 10:37 PM

I’m pretty sure Indian managers at Dunkin’ Donuts have a higher IQ than Biden. Probably the donuts as well.

Mrs. Happy Housewife on August 23, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Classic —- Smug, Sanctimonious, Jackass!

grtflmark on August 23, 2008 at 10:54 PM

What a blowhard. My interest in politics is relatively recent so I’ve never paid much attention to him before. If this is an example of how he handles off-the-cuff questions, he’s not going to make many friends this campaign.

Rosmerta on August 23, 2008 at 11:05 PM

Does he wear a rug or is he plugged?

bloggless on August 23, 2008 at 11:24 PM

OBAMA/BIDEN = SMUG/PLUGS

byteshredder on August 24, 2008 at 1:10 AM

Ed didn’t list all the lies, actually, but you can get a more complete analysis from, amazingly enough, E.J. Dionne, Jr. in this 1987 article from the New York Times! Quick version:

In addition to claiming he has a higher IQ than the questioner (unprovable either way without getting test scores for them both) and lying outright about his law school class rank, Biden insisted that he had three degrees from college (when in fact he had only one, albeit that with a double-major). He claimed to have been recognized as the “outstanding student” in his college political science department, when in fact he had only been nominated for an award (which he didn’t win). Biden claimed to have had a full academic scholarship to law school, when he actually had only a half-scholarship based on financial need. And rather than graduating in the top half of his law school class, Biden graduated 76th out of 85 — an abysmal class rank that’s only partly explained by the F he got in one course after being caught plagiarizing five times from a law review article. Bad grades weren’t new to Slow Joe in law school, though: “In his first three semesters [at the University of Delaware], his grades were C’s or D’s, with three exceptions: two A’s in physical education courses, a B in a course on ‘Great English Writers’ and an F in R.O.T.C.”

That’s what we need as commander-in-chief, alrightee: Someone who couldn’t even pass ROTC!

Beldar on August 24, 2008 at 1:52 AM

Awww… Come ON! He got an “A”. In gym, no less. He’s a veritable GENIUS, people.

But other than lying about his scholarship, lying about his grade average and bragging about an IQ that he has no proof of having, I have to agree with Allah here. He’s not a douchebag at all.

Misha I on August 24, 2008 at 2:16 AM