Flashback: The obligatory “I think I probably have a much higher IQ than you do” clip

posted at 6:18 pm on August 23, 2008 by Allahpundit

“There’s a bit of C-SPAN tape that should surface quickly if he’s named,” predicted Kaus two days ago, and now — courtesy of C-SPAN, no less — here it is. Read Ed’s post from Thursday before you click or you won’t recognize the various lies as they whiz past. Having now watched it, I’m surprised it caused him such grief at the time: While the sentiment is nasty, his demeanor isn’t, and the guy it’s directed at seems to take it in good enough humor. Egotistical, loudmouthed, and affable — it’s Biden being Biden.

Exit question: What’ll end up getting more buzz as this clip circulates, his attitude or his hairline?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I actually liked Biden’s response. Once he got rolling past the initial bragging (which came in such a clean and crisp list as to be either impressive or pathetic), beyond the sadly sad excuse (note to Joe – Don’t brag about being in the top half of the class) he was okay. It did get kind of creepy towards the end, but, other than that I didn’t see much wrong with it. I’d like to see Biden’s IQ, just for kicks. He can just have a copy of the report show up on Kos, or something.

progressoverpeace on August 24, 2008 at 3:00 AM

The bitter bumpkins may be happy with Biden…until he rips up Mittens or whatever lame choice Fudge Haus makes for his VP.

I am a Reagan Republican.

alphie on August 23, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Johan Klaus on August 24, 2008 at 3:55 AM

(note to Joe – Don’t brag about being in the top half of the class)

Especially when you actually graduated as number 76 out of 85.

Misha I on August 24, 2008 at 3:55 AM

To understand this clip, you have to remember, as I do deliciously, when the late, great Spy Magazine named Biden the dumbest member of Congress, with an estimated IQ of 85. The list of the 100 was the result of polling all the Hill staffers they could, iirc. I think the list came out not too long after Biden’s embarrassing “grilling” of Rehnquist during the confirmation hearings for Chief — where were hilarious due to Dull Joe’s obliviousness to the dumbosity of his interrogation of a mind a few orders of magnitude better than his own.

I think this was in 1987 or so. I wish Spy archives were online….

wordwarp on August 24, 2008 at 6:04 AM

Misha I on August 24, 2008 at 3:55 AM

Yes. Joe was trying to advertise his peak performance (when he applied himself) to explain away the low overall number. Neither figure helped and would have been much better left unsaid, but that’s the beauty of Biden.

I’m betting we get a Howard Dean moment out of him sometime soon. He won’t be able to hold it together. In the immortal words of Warren Zevon, “He’s just an excitable boy.” This could be very McGovern-esque.

progressoverpeace on August 24, 2008 at 6:14 AM

Congratulations to Barack Obama. He’s shored up his military credibility by selecting someone with the looks of a contemporary Mike (“BJ Hunnicut”) Farrell, the bluster of Charles Emerson Winchester III, and the sniveling self-importance of Major Frank Burns (“We’re so lucky to be two of the few and not the many.”).

Captain Scarlet on August 24, 2008 at 6:57 AM

Congratulations to Barack Obama. He’s shored up his military credibility by selecting someone with the looks of a contemporary Mike (”BJ Hunnicut”) Farrell, the bluster of Charles Emerson Winchester III, and the sniveling self-importance of Major Frank Burns (”We’re so lucky to be two of the few and not the many.”).

Captain Scarlet on August 24, 2008 at 6:57 AM

And picking a running mate who never served in the military either. Funny that. Just sayin’…

eanax on August 24, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Hairline.

cannonball on August 24, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Captain Scarlet on August 24, 2008 at 6:57 AM

Perfect description of Biden. :)

becki51758 on August 24, 2008 at 10:57 AM

I’m Joebama and I approved this message.

drjohn on August 24, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Teeth.

His freaking teeth.

And I would know. ;-)

drjohn on August 24, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Jim T., I set up a retirement fund for you, and every time you amuse me, I put in a penny. Its value has risen enormously in the last two years. Thanks for all the smiles.

You’re welcome.

Joe is also proof that if you hope hard enough, your scalp can change!

Jim Treacher on August 24, 2008 at 3:01 PM

I always knew Biden was a d*ck but good lord.

The Ugly American on August 24, 2008 at 5:24 PM

What does Biden bring to the ticket?

Gravitwinkle.

Akzed on August 24, 2008 at 5:40 PM

This was right after his hair removal operation.

Akzed on August 24, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Is that Pat Caddell or David Axelrod in the background, I’m talking about the fat guy with the moustache.

War69DotCom on August 25, 2008 at 7:21 AM

progressoverpeace on August 24, 2008 at 3:00 AM

I agree.. the last part was pretty good..
if you can stomach his ego and pedigree, he gets on a roll

Obama can take lessons from him speaking off the cuff.

DaveC on August 25, 2008 at 9:19 AM

DaveC on August 25, 2008 at 9:19 AM

The man can speak off the cuff, that is for sure. If Obama could do that we would be in real trouble. The man is a jerk though, no doubt! I have a feeling that Obama is going to have some fun explaining away Biden’s comments between now and November, better not ever let him off the leash! I look forward to hearing the crap come out of his mouth now that he is part of the gaffe party…

virology76 on August 25, 2008 at 9:35 AM

DaveC on August 25, 2008 at 9:19 AM

virology76 on August 25, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Note to Biden, or anyone.

Lawrence on August 25, 2008 at 12:25 PM

“Having a High IQ does not automatically mean you have the necessary decision making skills and experience to take advantage of said IQ.”

Lawrence on August 25, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Well said Lawrence- there are a lot of folks out there with high IQs who can’t even wipe their behinds without assistance. IQ is overrated. Common sense rules.

Badger40 on August 25, 2008 at 1:40 PM