What happened to good, old Red, White, & Blue?

posted at 5:15 pm on August 22, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Political conventions have little practical purpose in modern American politics, but still have symbolic impact.  The two major political parties spend years and millions of dollars to project images of unity, purpose, and especially patriotism.  The main motif for the event is the American flag, and the color scheme is Red, White, and Blue.

Well, usually … except when it’s Magenta, Cream, and Cerulean.  Earlier, Michelle took some pictures of the Pepsi Center podium for the DNCC, and the color scheme looked rather strange:

The colors in this design bear only a small resemblance to the colors in the American flag.  Sure, you can call them red, white, and blue, but they’re pastels of each color family.  It’s not exacly a strong representation for the usual theme.

Just in case Michelle’s camera malfunctioned, I checked out the Denver Post, and …. well ….

Not much better, is it?  It looks even more strangely garish at the official convention site:

It looks like an Academy Award show — loud, ugly, and misshapen.  The speakers will get lost in all of that overdesign, even without the odd color scheme.

Contrast that — literally and figuratively — with the Republican color scheme and presentation:

In terms of symbolic power and resonance, the GOP has clearly remained with tradition, opting for strong, authentic colors.  The Democrats’ pastel offering may symbolize something, but it’s neither tradition nor strength.

Update: Courtesy of the comments section, here’s Ronald Reagan at the 1976 Republican Convention:

Whether it is different this time than it has ever been before, I believe the Republican Party has a platform that is a banner of bold, unmistakable colors, with no pastel shades.

We have just heard a call to arms based on that platform, and a call to us to really be successful in communicating and reveal to the American people the difference between this platform and the platform of the opposing party, which is nothing but a revamp and a reissue and a running of a late, late show of the thing that we have been hearing from them for the last 40 years.

Update II: I’m not the only one who noticed the chaotic nature of the Democratic design.  Kate Phillips at the New York Times advises … sunglasses:

The differences couldn’t be more stark. You may need to wear your sunglasses indoors at the Democratic convention to mute the eye-popping colors. And while the cameras will surely zoom in on each evening’s speakers, the speakers on the stage will seem invariably dwarfed by the overshadowing backdrop. Someone already likened it to a game-show stage; get ready to call your lifeline for concentration.

The Republican stage, on the other hand, was designed to capture the intimate settings Senator John McCain enjoys when he talks to voters in town hall settings, according to convention plans. It’s not that high off the main floor of the arena, and its drama may be in its simplicity. And using the enormous American flag as its background serves as an echo of the campaign and convention motto, “Country First.”

It’s almost as if the Democrats wanted to distract viewers ….

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

A campaign run exclusively on lights and bells and whistles cannot afford bold colors and not-busy lighting. It needs Willy Wonka’s convention, and it got it.

For anyone interested: I heard if you sink the DNC broadcast to Dark Side of the Moon, it’s “sweet.”

emailnuevo on August 22, 2008 at 6:34 PM

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 22, 2008 at 6:29 PM

RushBaby on August 22, 2008 at 6:31 PM

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross.” — Sinclair Lewis

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM

could we be try to stick to criticisms that don’t make conservatives look ridiculous?

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 22, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Right. Because it’s absolutely meaningless that the Obama campaign has taken every opportunity to avoid displaying the flag, wear a flag pin, say the Pledge, and hold his hand over his heart.

(Sarcasm off)

Maybe all this means nothing to you. There are so many so-called Americans these days who don’t seem to think patriotism is important, that it wouldn’t surprise me.

Gregor on August 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Ugh. “Sync,” not “sink.” I’m apparently more spaced than the Dems.

emailnuevo on August 22, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Gregor on August 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM

Good call. It does mean nothing to me. Because it’s a stupid, superficial way to evaluate the qualifications of someone trying to get a job as the most powerful leader in the free world.

But, since it seems so very important to you, I suggest you put out some guidelines regarding what exactly constitutes acceptable convention decorations.

Do you have exact red and blue shades defined yet? How far away from your set hue before that color is indicative of a lack of patriotism? How about shapes? Are partial flags acceptable? What are the precise rotational angles? Can shapes be distorted, moved, or layered? How do you feel about gradients and transparency?

Is that starting to sound ridiculous yet? Because it should.

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 22, 2008 at 6:42 PM

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM

LOL, I was right about you. Luap Nor!

RushBaby on August 22, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Romeo13 on August 22, 2008 at 5:45 PM

I assume that you noticed that the acronym for the wizard’s name is OZ PINHEAD. How wonderfully appropriate.

Buford Gooch on August 22, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Hey don’t laugh! I heard the Denver police have been “asked” to stop enforcing marijuana laws during the convention!

RushBaby on August 22, 2008 at 6:32 PM

So if one of the speakers starts to laugh uncontrollably and says “Sh!# Man! Far Out!” repeatedly we’ll know how they came to that worldview.

Beto Ochoa on August 22, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Oh they just appropriated the exact color scheme from the religious revival in Florida, which turned out to just be a cult of personality and a fraud.

econavenger on August 22, 2008 at 6:46 PM

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM

So we’re just going to call non-isolationists “fascist”?

But the criticism of what is clearly an M&M store doubling as the DNC convention is invalid?

emailnuevo on August 22, 2008 at 6:46 PM

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 22, 2008 at 6:42 PM

I like your wording. It gives you away. Although it just happens to come with this particular job, we’re not supposed to be electing the “most powerful leader in the free world.” We’re supposed to be electing the most powerful AMERICAN in the United States, and someone whose main agenda is supposed to be protecting the citizens of the UNITED STATES, and not the “free world.” Common sense would dictate that this person should be someone who gives a crap about what this country stands for.

Obama does not. It’s clear that “The One” does not even understand what this country is supposed to stand for.

It’s really not that hard to grasp.

Gregor on August 22, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Gregor on August 22, 2008 at 6:50 PM

He said “in,” not “of.” A chasm of difference between the two.

emailnuevo on August 22, 2008 at 6:58 PM

RushBaby on August 22, 2008 at 6:43 PM

“Now, by the way, any time you hear the United States government talking about ‘wiretap’, it requires — a wiretap requires a court order. Nothing has changed, by the way. When we’re talking about chasing down terrorists, we’re talking about getting a court order before we do so.
“It’s important for our fellow citizens to understand, when you think Patriot Act, constitutional guarantees are in place when it comes to doing what is necessary to protect our homeland, because we value the Constitution.” — George W. Bush, April 2004

As he publishes his “covert numbered findings” with respect to citizens of the United States of America. I think not.

Now, if you believe that… “I gotta bridge, I’d like to sell yah” RushBaby…!

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM

I saw this device on StarGate SG1. Ya know, the episode with the thing with the lights and the energy that acted like opium.

- The Cat

MirCat on August 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM

I’ll take a vowel for $250, Barack.

Cicero43 on August 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM

“Gameshow”

v.s.

“Country First”

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm………………… I’m going to go with “Country First.”

Seven Percent Solution on August 22, 2008 at 7:02 PM

“I gotta bridge, I’d like to sell yah” RushBaby…!

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM

I wouldn’t dream of buying your bridge, J_G. It would be kind of heartless of me to evict you.

RushBaby on August 22, 2008 at 7:05 PM

LOL, I was right about you. Luap Nor! RushBaby on August 22, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Hey RushBaby, are you an olde military crypto guy?

That “Luap Nor” thingie’ is known as transposition in the vernacular.

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 7:06 PM

I think it’s too busy, but I do agree with the poster who said the colors will look better on TV.

Farmer_Joe on August 22, 2008 at 7:11 PM

The diagonals on the floor of the Republican setup remind me of the Union Jack. I’m certain this is somehow racist.

abw on August 22, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Farmer_Joe on August 22, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Farmer, I agree; the entire set will not normally be televised when close-ups of individual speakers are the primary shot.

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 7:17 PM

It looks like an Academy Award show

It’s really the set for a new game show – Name That Dork.

whitetop on August 22, 2008 at 7:18 PM

RushBaby on August 22, 2008 at 7:05 PM

He shoots! He sco-o-o-o-o-ores!!!!

Buford Gooch on August 22, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Buford Gooch on August 22, 2008 at 7:20 PM

At least you didn’t give him a…

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 7:23 PM

RushBaby on August 22, 2008 at 7:05 PM

carbon_footprint on August 22, 2008 at 7:29 PM

The first priority is that the design had to be something that Michelle Obama could be proud of, so that ruled out red, white and blue.

Cicero43 on August 22, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Actually the Republican setup looks like something out of Hitler-Era Germany. It’s probably the red carpet leading to the reflecting stage which is surrounded by well purportioned and waiting “supporters.”

PresidenToor on August 22, 2008 at 7:31 PM

I like the flag, but McCain bears too close a resemblance to George C Scott to be giving a rousing speech in front of a flag that size.

pedestrian on August 22, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Looks like the commenters from the NYT blog have migrated over here….

I’m old-fashioned when it comes to patriotism. I will always prefer a candidate who doesn’t diss this country, who shows a willingness to sacrifice for and serve it. I will always prefer a candidate who understands that, in the area of public service, the fundamentals of this nation — as represented in the Constitution and by the American Flag — are the first and only concern.

To me, the graphic schemes of the Obama campaign bring to mind a word I don’t like to say, that I hoped had been buried in 1945.

MrScribbler on August 22, 2008 at 7:36 PM

We will be seeing more like this:

pedestrian on August 22, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Actually the Republican setup looks like something out of Hitler-Era Germany.

PresidenToor on August 22, 2008 at 7:31 PM

All it needs is those Obama-in-Berlin posters to complete the image of the New Fuhrer, right?

MrScribbler on August 22, 2008 at 7:39 PM

carbon_footprint on August 22, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Gotta luv yah, carbon…!

Now could you go back and give me a…

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 7:40 PM

well purportioned and waiting “supporters.” PresidenToor on August 22, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Olde fat,sweating white guys…?

Huh…!

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Schoolyard crap Ed. You’re better than that.

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 22, 2008 at 6:23 PM

I disagree. Visual communication can matter as much as verbal communication and I’d argue that Obama would not have gotten where he is without his very sophisticated visual communication strategy. Words mean things; images mean things.

For a candidate who’s much more style than substance, the style is very much fair game and has the potential to contain a lot of interesting information.

I’ll wait until I watch the conventions on TV to make any specific judgments but the NYT may have already gotten it when they say “The Republican stage… its drama may be in its simplicity.” If designed well, simplicity = strength. We’ll see if that’s the message that’s ultimately conveyed.

Gilda on August 22, 2008 at 7:49 PM

A commenter on the NYT blog went for Godwin’s hat trick. The GOP set was Hitlerian, Orwellian, and the design of the floor was obviously the Confederate battle flag.

laelaps on August 22, 2008 at 7:50 PM

MB4 on August 22, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Darlin you are a little hard to figure out sometimes. I know I am never quite sure. Besides I think most folks are just having fun with set, I am sure it will be fine at the convention, it will look wonder and it will neither win or lose votes. But I wouldn’t miss the remarks about it because it is fun.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2008 at 7:52 PM

“Words mean things; images mean things.”

Thanks Rush.

Gilda on August 22, 2008 at 7:49 PM

I agree, I’m definitely a minimalist when it come to interior design.

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 7:55 PM

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 22, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Oh come on, there are ton of threads on this site dealing with perfectly serious issues. This is just funny, let your hair down, show us your comedy creds.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Sure, you can call them red, white, and blue, but they’re pastels of each color family. It’s not exacly a strong representation for the usual theme.

Oh, please with the wonderful “pastelsssss”, lets just do the colors darn, it I really hate politics

foxone on August 22, 2008 at 8:02 PM

RushBaby on August 22, 2008 at 7:05 PM

Excellent.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2008 at 8:07 PM

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2008 at 8:07 PM

A real “zinger” me luv…!

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 8:21 PM

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Isn’t it great when we all agree. Let’s sing the Democrat song.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Are those Pee Wee Herman clown door-jams on the Denver set? How friggin appropriate.

Coronagold on August 22, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Isn’t it great when we all agree. Let’s sing the Democrat song. Cindy Munford on August 22, 2008 at 8:31 PM

What’s ‘dat…?

Don’t worry…
Be Happy…!

“Chorus now”
Ah one, ah two…

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 8:44 PM

Video: B-list celebrities sing hymn to A-list celebrity

This one, from the other thread. I’ve heard it has a great beat and is easy to dance to.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Where’s the URL…?

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 8:52 PM

This is my favorite…!

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 8:56 PM

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Here it is. It’s from an earlier thread, everybody had a good time with it also.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2008 at 9:00 PM

It is all to disguise the Mother Ship.

coldwarrior on August 22, 2008 at 5:51 PM

:-)

I also love the Pepsi comments. Are they gonna sue the Dems for brand infringement? Or just consider it as free advertising?

It does look as if the flag is upside down. The stripes are at the top with the stars below.

All in all, I’d say it’s a fitting representation of the Dems’ attitude towards our country.

INC on August 22, 2008 at 9:00 PM

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 8:56 PM

This is my favorite…!

That’s funny, I remember it well. I always try to keep in mind that some people think those were the best days every. I don’t but I do try to empathize.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2008 at 9:02 PM

With the Democrats, I’m surprised the colors are not red with little yellow hammer-and-sickle or little yellow stars everywhere.

Bubba Redneck on August 22, 2008 at 9:07 PM

Oh Good Lord, it’s red white and blue, whether or not it’s saturated.

Now you’re just nit-picking. Call me when it’s all red.

SouthernDem on August 22, 2008 at 9:09 PM

Well what else do the Democrats have to offer but, well, umm, errr, ahhh, just wait, we’ll think of something, err, umm … Hows this — It’s purple.

Democrats made easy, raise taxes, fund socialism and gun control.

tarpon on August 22, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Although I admit I do like the stark simplicity of the Republican stage.

SouthernDem on August 22, 2008 at 9:11 PM

The DNC stage looks like the set of a cheap game show. I expect to see a Howie Mandel lookalike out there quizzing the attendees and handing out prizes.

Jill1066 on August 22, 2008 at 9:11 PM

SouthernDem on August 22, 2008 at 9:09 PM

Come on, it’s Friday, have some fun with it.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2008 at 9:02 PM

That was the Democrat theme song in 2000 when the only person that received the most popular votes, wasn’t elected President of the United States of America; because the Supreme Court intervened.

I’ll never forget…!

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 9:14 PM

_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Yeah, the Florida Supreme Court. I could have sworn that was during the Clinton run. Not the first one (Don’t Stop Thinking About Tomorrow). The rest of the nation seemed to forget in 2004. Trust me Al Gore is happy it didn’t work, he is making more millions being the latest snake oil salesman.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Its so,so pretty,and pink,and wait a tick,
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,I’ve got this
figured out,the reason,that there is no RED,
Blue,or white,

IS,

because,they want to keep all the UNITY at the
DNConvention calm,mellowed and sub-doed,

why,

well,they,the Liberals don’t want all 4,000
special interest groups,oops,I mean micro-
political groups from going mass-critical over
Hillary getting royaly screwded over by Team Obama!

So thats why,the Liberal convention looks like a
pink painted padded jail cell!!

canopfor on August 22, 2008 at 9:20 PM

It’s almost as if the Democrats wanted to distract viewers ….

Well, when you’ve got Carter and Kerry up there…

CP on August 22, 2008 at 9:34 PM

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Yeah, guess I missed the levity of it.

It is a bit Hello Kitty! 2009.

SouthernDem on August 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Hey! You know it’s all about image. No substance, or any “-stance” for that matter.

Wildcatter1980 on August 22, 2008 at 9:44 PM

SouthernDem on August 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM

That’s very good! The people who contribute to this site are so very clever. I LOVE to laugh. Look at how we are all being lead around by the nose over these Veep decisions. You just have to laugh to remember you aren’t being sucked in.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2008 at 9:45 PM

Pastel patriotism.

Thomas Kean used that line in the 1988 Republican convention key note, when he responded to the 1988 Democratic convention which used the pastel colors instead of red, white, and blue.

Giuliani must reference the “pastel patriotism” line in his key note.

indythinker on August 22, 2008 at 10:18 PM

…1988 Democratic convention which used the pastel colors instead of red, white, and blue.

indythinker on August 22, 2008 at 10:18 PM

1988, that must’ve been the one. I have a vague memory of a very 80s-ish Democratic convention that was all done up in mauve, eggshell and teal instead of the usual colors.

It was hideous.

Gilda on August 22, 2008 at 10:41 PM

From Wiki:

The organizers for the convention infamously chose pastel colors as a background in the belief that they would appear better on television. They were patterned after the colors of the American flag in pink, azure, and eggshell.[1] Republicans mocked the choice and used it to buttress their case that the Democrats were “soft” on the issues.[2] New Jersey governor Thomas Kean claimed at the Republican Convention that “The Dukakis Democrats will try to talk tough, but don’t be fooled. They may try to talk like Dirty Harry, but they will still act like Pee Wee Herman.” Kean continued that Democrats and Republicans alike “have no use for pastel patriotism… The liberal Democrats are trying to hide more than the colors in our flag; they are trying to hide their true colors.”[1]

I’ve got to find a picture of that.

INC on August 22, 2008 at 10:44 PM

Well, here’s
Mike Dukakis’ acceptance speech Atlanta 1988
You Tube
. Look at 2:00 and go to the end to about 8:50 to see the colors. (no, I didn’t watch the entire thing-just skipped around).

INC on August 22, 2008 at 11:01 PM

I really couldn’t care less about the backdrop, it seems like attacking the colors is pretty damned silly.

However, I would like to know how much juice is being burned to power it. Aren’t they having a “green” convention? Did they get Gore to bless the ungodly power consumption as an indulgence?

brainy435 on August 22, 2008 at 11:46 PM

meh. No surprise here. That’s just their version of shock and awe. The defeatocrats are elitist snobs and show-boaters with the majority of American ‘celebrities’ endorsing their candidate, whom himself is a celebrity and show-boater. Appearances and wrappers are far more important than substance and content. It stands to reason they’d put up a stage that looks more like a cheezy Hollyweird game show or Academy awards show than a sincerely unique patriotic American electoral gathering.

In fact, I’d be willing to bet that someone with Hollyweird connections and Hollyweird work experience was paid to design and set up that shrine to their self-importance.

SilverStar830 on August 22, 2008 at 11:53 PM

brainy435 on August 22, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Heh. None of us “regulars” came up with that angle! You need to comment here more!

RushBaby on August 23, 2008 at 12:17 AM

Compare the focal points of both convention backstages, too. The Republicans focus on the flag, Dems focus on “DNC”. In other words, it’s all about them.

Sounds about right.

amkun on August 23, 2008 at 12:36 AM

I wish I wasn’t so young when Reagan was president (born in 1985). I’d give anything to hear someone with his vision again.

therightwinger on August 23, 2008 at 1:06 AM

therightwinger on August 23, 2008 at 1:06 AM –

There will be time, grasshopper, there will be time. It’s’ up to your generation now.

coldwarrior on August 23, 2008 at 1:58 AM

therightwinger on August 23, 2008 at 1:06 AM

You will, I am confident of it. If we can keep our history and realize that we have the perfect combination of freedom and protection that allows us the scope to do anything and overcome everything.

Cindy Munford on August 23, 2008 at 7:54 AM

brainy435 on August 22, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Substance over symbolism. AND still funny.

Cindy Munford on August 23, 2008 at 7:56 AM

J_Gocht on August 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM

I would only agree to this in the sense that, yes, he will probably have an “American” sort of flag near him, which won’t translate into high pro-American sensibilities, and, yes, he may be carrying a cross, but I doubt this cross will have anything to do with Jesus, but rather provide a means to browbeat the weak-minded into following him more (i.e. Obama telling folks to give to the “lesser of our brothers,” even though he doesn’t).
In addition to the “O” hand signs, pastel lights, and little Obama symbols, I wonder, what other symbolism from Triumph of the Will will we see at the convention? I’m not saying this as an ad hominem attack on Obama and his followers. Rather, if folks actually watch Triumph of the Will, they will see striking similarities in terms of: communication themes; methods for capturing the imagination through romantic or pride-stirring images; focus on the youth; a lack of focus on systems, methods or policies, etc.
Here are a few lines. I’ll leave you to decide who said them.
1. “It is our total belief in ourselves, our hope for our youth, striding forward today, to be called on to finish the work which began…”
2. “We are who we have been waiting for…”
3. “The … people are happy in the knowledge that the divisions of the past have been replaced by a high standard leading the nation.”

Send_Me on August 23, 2008 at 9:13 AM

I don’t think the Dems can afford to pay for the carbon offsets for this monstrosity.

William Teach on August 23, 2008 at 10:51 AM

William Teach on August 23, 2008 at 10:51 AM –

Ever wonder how The Goracle could afford that new boat?

If the Dems can come up with the cash…Goracle is more than willing to sell them a few more million carbon credits. I heard he needs a bigger lake for his new boat.

coldwarrior on August 23, 2008 at 11:55 AM

It’s really not that hard to grasp.

Gregor on August 22, 2008 at 6:50 PM

Reading into things much? The whole point was that the POTUS is an extremely important gig and that we should think carefully about our choices, not simply pick someone arbitrarily based on ridiculous things like their choice in lighting.

I agree completely with your assessment of Obama. But I do so because I’ve watched his behavior and use of rhetoric, not because his party likes pastels and fancy lights. But if you’d like to continue to come across like a raving, tin foil-hat wearer, by all means continue this line of argumentation. :P

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 23, 2008 at 6:28 PM