Video: B-list celebrities sing hymn to A-list celebrity

posted at 1:55 pm on August 22, 2008 by Allahpundit

It’s ex-Eurythmic Dave Stewart, leading a choir of familiar faces who’ll make you say, “I know him/her from somewhere, don’t I?” Call it an exercise in obliviousness — oblivious, seemingly, to how derivative it is of will.i.am’s two videos, oblivious to the fact that a tribute playing up Obama’s popularity among celebrities doesn’t exactly help him right now, and of course, given its title, oblivious to how much mileage conservatives have gotten from the creepy messianism that surrounds The One. I won’t spoil the surprise (HuffPo has the lyrics if you simply can’t wait), but suffice it to say, Stewart’s got a handle on the devotional undercurrent of the campaign.

Exit question: Where will this end up on Obama’s top ten?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

From the ‘where are they now?’ file….

Think_b4_speaking on August 22, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Oh my God when George Castanza sang the high note I lost my s***.

This is the “Star Wars Kid” of political music videos.

Savage on August 22, 2008 at 1:59 PM

I was gonna, say that too, Savage: Who really wants to see Jason Alexander getting his groove on?

Pasalubong on August 22, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Costanza!
That’s a shame.

Brat on August 22, 2008 at 2:01 PM

I hope the RNC picks up the rights to this video and runs it in October.

All it needs is “I’m John McCain, and I am kinda creeped out by this message.”

funky chicken on August 22, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Fairy Manilow?! Are you kidding me?

Reaganite84 on August 22, 2008 at 2:02 PM

The funny thing is that they think this will help. They have no idea how this will boomerang on Bambi. Clueless in Hollywood.

tommylotto on August 22, 2008 at 2:04 PM

The prayer gestures are going to turn off many leftists, I would think.

As for the song, it’s boring as hell. I couldn’t finish it. Not because it’s offensive or creepy or bad (although it’s all of those, too)– just mainly that it’s boring and sounds amateurish.

aero on August 22, 2008 at 2:04 PM

This is the epitome of Obama WORSHIP! They dug deep some some of these fossils too. Pathetic!

woodman on August 22, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Actually was there a lefty backlash. “If you get to the top of the mountain, remember me.”

Sounds like they are worried Bambi will go moderate on them.

tommylotto on August 22, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Written by Americans? NO

Earlier this year when I was recording American Prayer, a song I originally co-wrote with Bono, the phrase, “When you get to the top of the mountain, remember me” seemed to take on a whole new resonance, given the inspirational candidacy of Barack Obama. The song always contained one of my favorite passages from Dr. King, which was hauntingly delivered the night before he was assassinated. King says: “I just want to do God’s will. And He’s allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I’ve looked over. And I’ve seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the Promised Land!” People long for a connection— whether it is to music, to their country, or to a big idea. Regardless of what happens in November, Senator Obama has reminded millions of people that they have the power to connect to bigger ideas. He is, in essence, the embodiment of a new anthem for change. He has continued King’s narrative from what was once thought of as a dream to a reality. I find it especially relevant that Barack Obama will accept the Democratic Party Nomination for President 45 years to the day of King’s “I Have a Dream” speech.
When we were originally writing the song, Bono was crafting the words in a way that would make people think about the fact that ‘America’ as a concept was a truly great idea, based on the bedrock of equality. I find it more pertinent than ever to release it now; to the moment America finds itself in, daring to re-imagine itself and its place in the world.
When I set out to make a video for the new version of this song, I wanted to honor all of those millions of people, especially young people, who are, for the first time, feeling empowered to voice their beliefs. I wanted to capture how Obama’s message of change has echoed across the broad fabric of what is America. To do that, we’ve cast the film with an eclectic array of personalities, including Forest Whitaker, Jason Alexander, Whoopi Goldberg, Cyndi Lauper, Barry Manilow, Joan Baez, Macy Gray and Joss Stone. They appear alongside veterans, teachers and everyday citizens— all of whom have been touched by this simple idea of change. As an Englishman, I’m not an expert in all the intricate details of American politics. But as an artist, I understand how rare it is to inspire a connection to a bigger idea or purpose. This video isn’t so much an endorsement of Barack Obama as much as it is a celebration of all those who have picked up a sign, who have registered to vote and are working to make the world a better place. So as Senator Barack Obama ascends to the mountain top, let us not forget all of the others who for the past 40 years have sung anthems of change to make this moment possible.

Brat on August 22, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Ha, alot of those celebs look strung out. What I’ve learned, Hollywood thinks windmills are God’s will.

I want to know if Whoopi thinks all her white friends who are voting for this guy managed to take off their white goggles, or just put black ones on?

Spirit of 1776 on August 22, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Lets not kick out the darkness
Make the lights brighter

Huh??

apollyonbob on August 22, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Um, “when you get to the top of the mountain,” just remember the air is pretty thin up there, similar to Hussein Obama’s plan to defend our country and stanch federal spending, and do the least of us.

What a treat! Usually one must go to a B-celeb proctologist’s waiting room to see Fairy Manilow, Joan Baez and Jorge Costanza all in the same place. Is anyone sure this isn’t put out by the Hillary Again campaign?

Western_Civ on August 22, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Pasalubong on August 22, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Well ……. There was also Barry Manilow.

wise_man on August 22, 2008 at 2:06 PM

The funny thing is that they think this will help.

tommylotto on August 22, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Exactly! I just asked my wife if she could tell me what these loons believe they have accomplished with this video.

flyfisher on August 22, 2008 at 2:06 PM

That was like, “Hands Across America” cheesiness combined with North Korean-style idol worship. With a little Barry Manilow sprinkled on top.

Pasalubong on August 22, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Who knew “Costanza” did MLK?

This was really sad.

PBoilermaker on August 22, 2008 at 2:07 PM

…….Are you serious? I know I haven’t drank the Kool-aid, but really, c’mon. It’s like some major fad that I don’t get nor want to be a part of, it’s unbelievable.

Barry Manilow…..George F’n Costanza!?

DanStark on August 22, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Barry Mannilow. Good thing Elizabeth Hasselbeck was no where near the set.

saltydogg14 on August 22, 2008 at 2:08 PM

We Are the Wimps.

rivlax on August 22, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Anyone got the number for that violinist? Yowza. I would like to accompany here sometime, maybe a duet if I can shake the dust of my old fiddle.

Lawrence on August 22, 2008 at 2:09 PM

You know what’s really sad, really really sad? If Obama is elected President, even if he does a horrible job (which I suspect), they are going to build a statue of him. Just watch.

*Smashes face against keyboard*

DanStark on August 22, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that a good portion of the people in the video aren’t even American citizens?

darury on August 22, 2008 at 2:09 PM

The funny thing is that they think this will help.

tommylotto on August 22, 2008 at 2:04 PM

flyfisher on August 22, 2008 at 2:06 PM

It’s very soothing. I nodded off a couple of times. I may start playing it at bedtime because I have a hard time falling asleep.

Laura on August 22, 2008 at 2:10 PM

man, I check the link with the lyrics and see that Toby Keith must have drank some the the dixie twits kool-aide.

SAD, SAD, SAD

jdsmith0021 on August 22, 2008 at 2:11 PM

“So as Senator Barack Obama ascends to the mountain top…”~Bozo, of wraparound sunglasses fame

Did Rezko sell him that mountaintop at below-market value? Paging Patrick Fitzgerald!

Western_Civ on August 22, 2008 at 2:11 PM

So it’s gone from we are the world; to we are the ones we’ve been waiting for.

lorien1973 on August 22, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Not only boring, but depressing. Exactly what are these people hoping for? More taxes? More dead babies? I don’t get it.

Rose on August 22, 2008 at 2:11 PM

wow, just, wow.

trailortrash on August 22, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Lawrence on August 22, 2008 at 2:09 PM

darury on August 22, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Sweet dreams are made these

The Race Card on August 22, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Does Forest Whitaker have any other facial expression? I swear it’s like the “Blue Steel” gag from Zoolander…

Hoodlumman on August 22, 2008 at 2:12 PM

I´m pretty much speachless. Oh, and sick too.

james hooker on August 22, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Well, I stand corrected. The HuffPo loons seem to love it. They’re not turned off at all by the prayer gestures like I thought they might be. Most of the commenters say the video brought tears to their eyes. A couple see the potential for it to backfire and call for celebs to shut up and stay out of Obama’s way, but the rest are just choked up over the sheer beauty of the “message” (which is what, exactly?). Ick. If the video doesn’t creep you out, the HuffPo commenters reactions will. It’s all about feelings and emotions for them.

aero on August 22, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Brat on August 22, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Totally agree, how could you George, how could you!

Also what was with Forrest Whitaker rubbing his bald head for, praying to The One?

Lance Murdock on August 22, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Jason Alexander asked Michael Richards to contribute, but he declined for some…odd reason.

watchmen on August 22, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Hoodlumman on August 22, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Oh, come on! You know that was Magnum!

Think_b4_speaking on August 22, 2008 at 2:13 PM

I’m always in favor of fools showing themselves to be well named.

VolMagic on August 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM

watchmen on August 22, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Folks, we have a winner!

Brat on August 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Wow…Joan Baez, huh? That’s not going to bring back too many good memories for the Vietnam-era folks…

Hannibal Smith on August 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM

It also has arguably the most infantile lyrics of any song, ever.

There are going to be some very unhappy c-listers when Barry gets beaten like a rented mule in November

Martin on August 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM

I hope the RNC picks up the rights to this video and runs it in October.

All it needs is “I’m John McCain, and I am kinda creeped out by this message.”

funky chicken on August 22, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Darksean on August 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Besides the fact that it’s a horrible song, I can’t believe how so many have fallen for the illusion. All the Obamessiah has EVER done is talked the talk. He has never walked the walk. He’s done nothing in his whole 3-years active in Congress. Practically all his high-profile friends and past/present acquaintances are under indictment, or have done prison time, to boot.

The Sheeple… the poor poor sheeple. PT Barnum was right. There’s a sucker born every minute.

SilverStar830 on August 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Where are the environmentalist at when they are proposing littering vast amounts of beautiful pristine land with windmills that would produce a fraction of the energy a Nuclear power plant could in a fraction of the space?

saltydogg14 on August 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM

*sniff*

RushBaby on August 22, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Celebrities having a crush on Obama – check
Europeans having a crush on Obama – check
HuffPoo having a crush on Obama – check
Obama an extension of civil rights movement, meaning opposition is racist – check
Complete lack of substance, appeal to the ‘concept’ of America – check
Viral popularity (Obama as a meme) – check
Barely hidden religous overtones – check

Its official. This embodies just about everythig I hate about Obama.

BohicaTwentyTwo on August 22, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Jason Alexander? Barry Manilow? Barry Manilow??

marc@hubsandspokes on August 22, 2008 at 2:16 PM

This is as far as I got:

Vincenzo on August 22, 2008 at 2:16 PM

This will definitely win a Grammy and they will give it to…whom?

Brat on August 22, 2008 at 2:16 PM

PT Barnum was right. There’s a sucker born every minute.

SilverStar830 on August 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM

That quote was attributed to him to discredit him. He didn’t say it.

RushBaby on August 22, 2008 at 2:17 PM

So unintentionally bad, hilarious. 4:38 of the video, that is Pam Anderson right?

koolbrease on August 22, 2008 at 2:17 PM

I don’t get it. Liberals and other leftists continually complain about the McCain Campaign poking fun at Obama’s celebrity and his deification but then they keep putting out crap like this proving the McCain Campaign’s point.

Queasy on August 22, 2008 at 2:17 PM

This is as far as I got:

Vincenzo on August 22, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Har.

RushBaby on August 22, 2008 at 2:17 PM

So MLK just endorsed Barry?

Who’da thunk it?

I’m pretty sure MLK wouldn’t let Barry carry his jock-strap!

omnipotent on August 22, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Sergio Mendes? Thank goodness Brazile 66 wasn’t in there! those folks were really feeling it. To bad they don’t do much thinking.

KelliD on August 22, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Okay, just watched it (well, most of it).

First of all, there’s no need to create a parody. Just run the thing itself.

Second, can they really still deny this is a religion?

Third, what a who’s who of d-listers! Did I just see the guy who played David Lo Pan in Big Trouble in Little China???

Darksean on August 22, 2008 at 2:23 PM

So let my get this straight.
In order to promote BO they feature a speech by MLK and that relates to BO how?
Well I don’t know about you but how could I not vote for BO after hearing such an inspiring “American Prayer” sung by the worshipers of BO.
One part of me wants him to win just because these cult morons really deserve to be completely and utterly destroyed when their dream turns into the nightmare it will be.

jmarcure on August 22, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Obama or die . . . of boredom.

aero on August 22, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Yeah, but many of these people have PLAYED smart people on television. That counts, doesn’t it?
What a cluster-f%#@ of the clueless. But hey, Pam Anderson’s got to be good for two…er… votes.

Sugar Land on August 22, 2008 at 2:25 PM

And what’s up with a couple of non-Americans writing “An American Prayer?”

KelliD on August 22, 2008 at 2:25 PM

What country do these people live in?

reaganaut on August 22, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Good Lord.

Wow.

I didn’t even know half the people in that tripe….but are you gonna tell me that 10 adults did this and not one think, “Wow, I look completely ridiculous”?

kcluva on August 22, 2008 at 2:27 PM

They should retitle it Limp Flutter of the Lethargic Has-Beens.

Would it have killed one of them to have emerged from the coma for even 2 seconds?

Oh please play this over and over again. Talk about unintentional self-parodies. Hysterical!

Gilda on August 22, 2008 at 2:27 PM

hahahha!
You never could beat me, Egg Shen.

thebrokenchair on August 22, 2008 at 2:27 PM

The more I see crap like this, the more I’m convinced that they’ll worship him until he finally fails. Those people need their eyes opened.

Esthier on August 22, 2008 at 2:28 PM

“Well you screwed me again, Costanza.”

CP on August 22, 2008 at 2:28 PM

OK, now I am sick and tired of these idiotic songs that depict the country as being in some dark, dire distress, where everyone is living in gloom and doom, and unless we elect someone like B.O., we are all going to hell in a hand basket! Dave Stewart is a has been leftover from the 1980s and these Hollyweird types shown in this thing don’t have a clue what real life is like outside the front gates of their Beverly Hills mansions!

This is America and we are doing fine! We may be having a rough period right now, but we have come through worse and we will come through this one just fine. We don’t need warblers like Dave Stewart or the likes of Whoopi Goldberg to tell us we need to vote for B.O. Frankly, if Stewart doesn’t like the way things are here, he can take his limey butt back to Britain, where things are anything but stellar.

As for these jerkweed B.O. songs, I’ll take some patriotic Toby Keith piece over any of this other garbage any day of the week.

pilamaye on August 22, 2008 at 2:28 PM

koolbrease on August 22, 2008 at 2:17 PM

I think so. Only her plastic surgeon can tell for sure. Were those 2 chicks after her Paris and Britney?

Brat on August 22, 2008 at 2:29 PM

They way the left are sowing the seeds of their own electoral destruction, I am feeling better and better about November.

Think_b4_speaking on August 22, 2008 at 2:29 PM

You would have thought that if they are so enamored by Obama’s speaking skills they would have had at least one of his quotes in that six minute pile of steaming “stuff”.

uniclone on August 22, 2008 at 2:30 PM

I get it, show the religious side of Obama.

Where was Rev Wright in that video?

jharada on August 22, 2008 at 2:30 PM

All it needs is “I’m John McCain, and I am kinda creeped out by this message.”

I was thinking the exact same thing while watching it. Talk about playing into stereotype. The Messiah!

Sue on August 22, 2008 at 2:30 PM

CP on August 22, 2008 at 2:28 PM

“And you want to be my latex salesman?”

Brat on August 22, 2008 at 2:31 PM

That quote was attributed to him to discredit him. He didn’t say it.

RushBaby on August 22, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Barnum never denied making the quote.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn’t, but he never denied it.

SilverStar830 on August 22, 2008 at 2:32 PM

What country do these people live in?
reaganaut on August 22, 2008 at 2:26 PM

The US of LLL.

Liberal Leaning … Losers.

(thanks for the inspiration, Rev Wright.)

wise_man on August 22, 2008 at 2:32 PM

What country do these people live in?

reaganaut on August 22, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Doesn’t matter. They’re Citizens of the Woooooooorrrrrlllld!

RushBaby on August 22, 2008 at 2:32 PM

But, yet, Obama has the audacity to insist that it’s McCain that has painted him as having a messianic persona?

GAG!

Conservative_SAHM on August 22, 2008 at 2:32 PM

was this video sponsored by the gay and lesbian league ??

redrock on August 22, 2008 at 2:32 PM

We’ve seen this song before…and it wasn’t an Obama song then…

CP on August 22, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Are you kidding me with this video?
These people seems to be worshiping!
They have their hands together praying?!
They are making Obama look worse than he already is.
Keep it up Hollyweird.

jencab on August 22, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Macy Gray has gotten more milage out of being a one-hit wonder than anyone I’ve ever seen. It’s amazing how she keeps turning up places. Granted, it’s in a weirdly religious Obama video…but there are producers out there who still think she’s a draw.

And where’s George Lopez this time around? He’s letting the cause down.

watchmen on August 22, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Correction:

We’ve seen this song before…and it wasn’t an Obama song then…

American Prayer – Wikipedia entry

CP on August 22, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Sorry – here’s the right link

CP on August 22, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Miss Manilow has had so much plastic surgery, she can barely move her lips to form the words.

And hey, who dusted off Joan Baez???

In all sincerity… WHAT are these people going to do if Obama loses?

D2Boston on August 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Good grief. I just read the comments at the HuffPo site. Once again, if your moniker is masculine sounding…don’t tell me you weep. It is not inspirational. Same thing for females. Unless it involves the military, babies or John Wayne, no tears.

Sue on August 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Whenever I see or hear the bit about ‘we are who we have been waiting for’, I flash to Dennis Green, “They are who we thought they were!” Anyone else do this too?

Darksean on August 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Please Please Please Republicans don’t try to “be cool” too and do your own version. My God, the singing (R) Senators, Part Deux. Please.

Marcus on August 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Those people need their eyes opened.

Esthier on August 22, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Clockwork Orange style?

Beto Ochoa on August 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Cult of Obama in full force in Hollyweird.

Pretty soon they’ll be doing a Mao Obama dance.

p40tiger on August 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Forrest Whitaker: -100 credibility points.

And Perez Hilton is really not someone you want to endorse you, no?

SouthernDem on August 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Esthier on August 22, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Let’s hope it’s not too late.

Maybe they can choose another one to worship.

wise_man on August 22, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Good Gawd!

If things were as bleak as this video makes it seem, you would think there would be daily mass suicides and massive emigration.

IreneFingIrene on August 22, 2008 at 2:37 PM

The fact that these people even put Dr. King and a fraud like Obama in the same sentence genuinely disgusts me.
———————————-
Did you see Jason Alexander? He was into the Messiah worship. At first I laughed a little thinking he possibly was mocking it or something. I’m so used to him as George Costanza, that him portraying himself (a wackjob lib high on teh hopenchange) is a little odd. But Forest Whitaker was definitely the leader of that little service they held. Like he was on a different world.
———————————-

AP’s 100% right, an all out worship vid featuring folks like Perez Hilton is not exactly on message right now. Once again, these hopiates manage to make it look like they’re satirizing themselves. Amazing. McCain’s ad team is probably cutting footage for the new ad as we type.

malan89 on August 22, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Oh, and what the hell is up with the picture of the little girl standing with a snow shovel in a snow covered driveway and then the “Hope” label appears over her? Is the message here that under an Obama Presidency little girls won’t be forced to shovel driveways because the government will take care of it for them?

Queasy on August 22, 2008 at 2:37 PM

And hey, who dusted off Joan Baez???

D2Boston on August 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM

That was Joan Baez? I thought that was Ron Rifkin, Arvin Sloane from Alias!

Darksean on August 22, 2008 at 2:38 PM

darury on August 22, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I noticed. Of course as they all say, if they don’t vote they can’t complain. Even though they complain and don’t even have to pay taxes.

ThackerAgency on August 22, 2008 at 2:38 PM

We are the whirled.

carbon_footprint on August 22, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Gah, ok watched it all, and I could only name half of them.

Man, they are so depressing. All those sad faces yearning for big gov. to give them a handout. I love the part about this isn’t the time to dream. WTF, over.

It is still astounding how this message appeals to people. Poor, sad little victims, waiting for someone to come save them.

They’ve managed to cram 3 hours of FAIL into a 5 and a half minute video. Bravo.

reaganaut on August 22, 2008 at 2:40 PM

I offer up this music video as a pallate cleanser:

(mild content warning for use of the “f” word in the chorus)

Vincenzo on August 22, 2008 at 2:40 PM