Video: B-list celebrities sing hymn to A-list celebrity

posted at 1:55 pm on August 22, 2008 by Allahpundit

It’s ex-Eurythmic Dave Stewart, leading a choir of familiar faces who’ll make you say, “I know him/her from somewhere, don’t I?” Call it an exercise in obliviousness — oblivious, seemingly, to how derivative it is of will.i.am’s two videos, oblivious to the fact that a tribute playing up Obama’s popularity among celebrities doesn’t exactly help him right now, and of course, given its title, oblivious to how much mileage conservatives have gotten from the creepy messianism that surrounds The One. I won’t spoil the surprise (HuffPo has the lyrics if you simply can’t wait), but suffice it to say, Stewart’s got a handle on the devotional undercurrent of the campaign.

Exit question: Where will this end up on Obama’s top ten?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

More for the sh*t list. Thanks!

nottakingsides on August 22, 2008 at 4:33 PM

creepy

RobCon on August 22, 2008 at 4:35 PM

The day after election day 2004 was one of the more memorable times of my life because I knew pompus jerks like these had egg all over their faces….ENCORE for 2008.

RobCon on August 22, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Clap, clap, chant, chant, Om to the Obama, he’s going to the mountaintop, he will take us there, it’s a new day, let’s wash ourselves clean, love, singing, bliss. Great. And this has exactly WHAT to do with politics?

Paul-Cincy on August 22, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Hey, did I just see Barry Manilow???

manwithblackhat on August 22, 2008 at 4:40 PM

I prefer Obama girl. At least she admits she’s an idiot.

RobCon on August 22, 2008 at 4:41 PM

This is exactly why I’ve boycotted Hollywood for the most part. Would we send a bunch of money to Obama for a political donation? Nope. But we indirectly pay by buying movie and concert tickets, watch their programs, buy their products, ect. They live the most outragous pampered lifestyles and ask us to check the tire pressure in our cars and turn our termostats down all the time, they’re jetting around the world thumbing their nose at us and hawking stuff for us to buy that they get for free. grrrr

PS, Why do Brits get so involved in our politics. Aren’t Annie Lenox and that geek from Great Britton anywho?

hawkdriver on August 22, 2008 at 4:42 PM

What? Barry Manilow’s supporting Obama? That’s it, count me in! Obama! Obama!
(I guess that’s the reaction they are expecting from some middle-aged yentas)

RobCon on August 22, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Obama is at the “Top of the Mountain” living in a $1.65 million home while his half brother lives on less than $12 a year in Africa.

If Obama sent his brother $20 it would more than double his brothers standard of living for a year, but Obama couldn’t be bothered to do that.

RJL on August 22, 2008 at 4:44 PM

My oh my
Couldn’t get much higher
Lets not kick out the darkness
Make the lights brighter

Were these lyrics written by sixth graders?
Translation: We won’t do anything about crime corruption and tyranny.
We will just care more about it.

Beto Ochoa on August 22, 2008 at 4:45 PM

If this isn’t the modern-day equivalent of Dukakis-in-a-tank, I’d love to see what tops this.

Marcus on August 22, 2008 at 3:31 PM

I wouldn’t say this is Obama’s Dukakis-in-a-tank moment. Its more like a Bush gets ringing endorsement from Britney Spears moment.

BohicaTwentyTwo on August 22, 2008 at 4:47 PM

“Now explain to me why the useful idiots in this Obama video would even think that Obama will take care of them.”

Like I said, these “stars”. “celebrities”, OMG “beautiful people” don’t need anyone to take care of them. If they were so worried about crap they’d donate more of their cash and maybe do with a couple thousand fewer square feet of mansion space in their digs. What they want by electing Obama is something more sedious. Margret Choe is the best example of why he needs to be defeated. If that socialist is behind him, that’s just really scary.

hawkdriver on August 22, 2008 at 4:50 PM

WTF… How can these people be serious? I’m struggling to understand what the hell is going on with the brainwashed masses.

BTW… was that Perez Hilton near the end?

RightWinged on August 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Creepy cult worship. Usually when I see people like this I smile and slowly walk backwards out of the room.

RobCon on August 22, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Despite this video I still don’t think Obama is the anti-Christ.

RobCon on August 22, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Oh. My. God.

sleepy-beans on August 22, 2008 at 5:02 PM

I made it to 1:06, then I threw up in my mouth a little.

God I hope McCain wins so that these brownshirts can whine throughout another administration.

robblefarian on August 22, 2008 at 5:03 PM

This song is now “required playing” in all late term abortion clinics, just in case the baby survives the procedure and has to be killed so no one is “burdened” by “changing” circumstances………

Seven Percent Solution on August 22, 2008 at 5:03 PM

i love this post from one of the HuffPosters

i’m sorry but i couldn’t go further than 0:36.

ATTN Celebs: FOR THE LOVE OF BABY JESUS, PLEASE STAY OUT OF THIS!!

you’re hurting more than you’re helping!!

ps: pam anderson and perez hilton??? WTF???!?!?!??!

DrW on August 22, 2008 at 5:06 PM

So a nearly six minute song blandly singing the praises of The One? Someone needs to teach Dave Stewart the value of “editing.” Long songs need to be EPIC. Like, say, 2112.

crazy_legs on August 22, 2008 at 5:08 PM

SERENITY NOWWWW!!!

sleepy-beans on August 22, 2008 at 5:12 PM

I’m glad that they’re finally admitting Obama worship is a religion.

AbaddonsReign on August 22, 2008 at 5:20 PM

“Like, say, 2112″

As in?

“We’ve taken care of everything, the words you read, the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eye”

Sounds like it could be an Obama theme song.

LtE126 on August 22, 2008 at 5:21 PM

We are the creepy. We are the clueless.
We are the ones that will make you vote for John McCain.
Everybody!

Buttercup on August 22, 2008 at 5:28 PM

I am sooo tired of Obama. Is it just me? I mute the TV when he comes on. I tell myself that if he wins I have at least 4 years of listening to him drone on about how wonderful he is and how much we suck and how he will bring us back to God or whatever..so I mute him now in the hopes that I will not be completely bored with him later. But thus far, it is not helping.

Terrye on August 22, 2008 at 5:29 PM

“Like, say, 2112″

As in?

Sounds like it could be an Obama theme song.

LtE126 on August 22, 2008 at 5:21 PM

“Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand” would definitely fit Obama, as well as his wife and his good buddy Bill Ayers.

thirteen28 on August 22, 2008 at 5:29 PM

BohicaTwentyTwo on August 22, 2008 at 4:47 PM

I’d say it’s Obamanation’s “Jump the Shark” moment.

sleepy-beans on August 22, 2008 at 5:30 PM

hawkdriver on August 22, 2008 at 4:42 PM

funky chicken on August 22, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Despite this video I still don’t think Obama is the anti-Christ.

RobCon on August 22, 2008 at 4:54 PM

LOL

funky chicken on August 22, 2008 at 5:35 PM

I’m pretty sure I saw George Jefferson in there.

Potfry on August 22, 2008 at 5:36 PM

Sounds like it could be an Obama theme song.

Well Neil Peart was pretty hard-core anti-communist back in the day.

I’d like to say that I made the 2112 reference on purpose, but that’d be a lie – it was totally random. It was either that or “The Rhyme of the Aincent Mariner.”

crazy_legs on August 22, 2008 at 5:36 PM

funky chicken on August 22, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Add another.

Glynn on August 22, 2008 at 5:36 PM

How wonderful…I can’t wait for these idiots to get what’s coming to them on the morning of Nov.5th when they have to face their first day of President-elect John McCain.

Winebabe on August 22, 2008 at 5:37 PM

I love the self-concsiously somber “Life in Amerikka is Hell!” faces. Phonies!!

They miss the stupidity of their own message: the fact that Obama is the candidate proves that MLK’s dream is reality, if you have the guts to go for it.

PattyJ on August 22, 2008 at 5:37 PM

There’s 5:39 I won’t get back. You owe me, Allahpundit.

Potfry on August 22, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Wow…Joan Baez, huh? That’s not going to bring back too many good memories for the Vietnam-era folks…

Hannibal Smith on August 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM

heh
I’m pretty sure William Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn own every album she ever released. shudder, my parents had one of her albums when I was a kid. The first time I ever stood up to them was to stop them from playing that shit in my presence. I think I was 10.

Oh, and Joan…my parents are both voting for McCain this year. Me too.

funky chicken on August 22, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Marcus on August 22, 2008 at 2:56 PM
celebrities holding hands together as in prayer to Obama would elicit AUDIENCE LAUGHTER had this been shown on Saturday Night Live.

Sure SNL could do such a parody, but they won’t because it would be blasphemy, a sacrilege. Don’t take the name of Obama in vain. Don’t slander the prophet. We’re not talking about an ordinary person, but someone who’s going to change the world, and deliver us from evil. He will cure the sick, and heal the earth. Even the wind and seas obey him. You think I’m joking? You think that’s hyperbole?

I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth. This was the moment – this was the time – when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals. Thank you, God Bless you, and may God Bless the United States of America.

Obama’s Nomination Victory Speech In St. Paul June 3, 2008

Paul-Cincy on August 22, 2008 at 5:46 PM

I am so sorry, but I couldn’t stomach it past Whooptie Goldberg. btw, the only white person I saw was a white kid out shovelling snow. RACIST!

TimothyJ on August 22, 2008 at 5:47 PM

The Irony Meter goes to eleven with the quote from the inscription on the Statue of Liberty “… yearning to breathe free”, in an ad for a politician who promises to enslave us all in the name of hopenchange, free healthcare, &c.

The Monster on August 22, 2008 at 5:54 PM

EXLAX musak

monotony ’08

“Finish what you start?!”

They stole that line from the soldier’s child who confronted Michelle Obama with the idea that we are not wrong to be helping IRAQ!

maverick muse on August 22, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Wiil.i.am is going to be pissed. Musical Obama worship is his job.

RobCon on August 22, 2008 at 6:26 PM

RobCon on August 22, 2008 at 4:53 PM

LOL…..

The Ugly American on August 22, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Obama as Christ figure with long hair and beard at 1:41 ;)

econavenger on August 22, 2008 at 6:55 PM

Cindi Lauper just so broke my crush on her.

- The Cat

MirCat on August 22, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Wah? No Chad and Jeremy???!!!

rileytod on August 22, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Sigh…so many celebutards, so little sense.

sulla on August 22, 2008 at 7:37 PM

Holy cow! Who could’ve made a better Messiah parody than that?

CliffHanger on August 22, 2008 at 8:01 PM

I had to stop at Joan Baez,now my head hurts. Back to Led Zeppelin.

Sanjoboy on August 22, 2008 at 8:18 PM

There’s 5:39 I won’t get back. You owe me, Allahpundit.

Potfry on August 22, 2008 at 5:38 PM

YOU COULD FIX IT!!!

RushBaby on August 22, 2008 at 8:29 PM

I am disgusted at the attempt to tie in Dr. King. What are Barry O’s civil rights bona fides? Other than skin color. He is no MLK. What right to these valueless mercenaries who are no more that media prostitutes have to usurp the the mantle of Dr. King, a martyr in the struggle for civil rights. It strains the word “Arrogant”. Here we see Hollywood in full on cult mode. Reason number 688 why you should kill your TV.

ronsfi on August 22, 2008 at 8:47 PM

I am attempting to think like a Liberal to ask some Liberal questions in response to this “video”.

I’m strapped into my chair, the mouthgard is in. My wife has the paramedics on standby because this could end badly; here goes….! (gritting my teeth)

1. How many houses do all of the Liberal stars depicted in this video own?

(This is harder than I thought…)

2. How many homeless could be housed in those homes?

(A little vomit in the mouth now…)

3. How many hungry children could have been fed with the money spent on this video? Quick follow up – how many homeless or hungry children did the stars in this video take out to dinner after the shoot?

(gotta change my drawers now…)

4. How exactly does this video help Michaels children?

ABORT! ABORT! ABORT! (No, not babies you fools!)

I CAN’T TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!! THINKING LIKE A LIBERAL IS KILLING ME!!!

I almost didn’t make it through that.

catmman on August 22, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Michael = Michelle

Thinking like a liberal made me do it…

: )

catmman on August 22, 2008 at 9:23 PM

I wouldn’t call some of these people ‘B’ listers (this seems to happen frequently on this site, like that whole Gwyneth Paltrow thing)

And who DOESN’T like Cyndi Lauper?

It was way hipper than anything we’ll see from McCain.

But the religious undertones were creepy.

tlynch001 on August 22, 2008 at 9:24 PM

I think the word is out any liberal is to flood YouTube or other sites where this is “playing” and emphasize it “made me cry!” I don’t get it – I cannot believe there are this many loons thinking it makes it any more important or newsworthy because they are awash in tears over it. It’s about the silliest thing I’ve ever seen (so far. Yes, so far).

Marcus on August 22, 2008 at 9:26 PM

It was way hipper than anything we’ll see from McCain.

That is complete Barbra Streisand. Charleton Heston’s Moses as Obama got people laughing and moved the polls. Will this “hip thing” move the polls?

Marcus on August 22, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Yawn. I’ll give Josh stone a pass because she’s cute and I like Forest Whitaker because of his amazing work in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, along side Nick Cage,working in the burger joint. But Dave Stewart? Isn’t there some kind a trade rule to keep crappy English musicians out of our business?

ericfla on August 22, 2008 at 10:26 PM

I made it as far as “this is the ground that keeps our feet from getting wet” and I just couldn’t take it anymore.

Jaynie59 on August 22, 2008 at 10:59 PM

pathetic.

homesickamerican on August 22, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Despite this video I still don’t think Obama is the anti-Christ.

RobCon on August 22, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Heh

He’s just a left wing politician. That doesn’t creep me out.

It’s these people who are freakish cultbots.

SlimyBill on August 22, 2008 at 11:20 PM

Pablum meets drivel.

Mighty unicorns unite.

profitsbeard on August 22, 2008 at 11:31 PM

And who DOESN’T like Cyndi Lauper?

It was way hipper than anything we’ll see from McCain.

Yeah, boy, that was hip. Are you kidding? Barry Manilow and Jason Alexander dancing around, praying in a trance is hip? Gack.

P.S. I can’t stand Cindy Lauper.
P.P.S. I’m a professional musician.

capitalist piglet on August 22, 2008 at 11:57 PM

WOW! Are we sure McCain didn’t put this out? Great stuff just in time for the convention. Thank you Hollywood, thank you so much! I laughed all the way through it. This truly shows how detached these celebs are, their “American prayer.” This is priceless!

kongzilla on August 23, 2008 at 12:06 AM

This is exactly how I would have imagined the anti-Christ coming to power. I’m Sorry if someone thinks that’s racist but if you read your bible you know I’m not that far off. And no, I do not think Obama is the anti-Christ, I just think this is one of the ways he/she may use to rise to power.

Gwillie on August 23, 2008 at 12:23 AM

These aren’t the C-list has-beens that I knew.

BDavis on August 23, 2008 at 12:37 AM

Hands down the most disgusting thing I have seen on the internet this election. Sycophancy treacle so nausea inducing that I might actually be motivated to do what I have been avoiding — donate to McCain. We have got to save our country from these pathetic Obamoron Cultists.

Forest Whitaker? I thought he had more sense. Kind of ruins any future movies with him in it, cause whatever role he plays I will remember him in this video. He looks like he is getting a bj just thinking about Obama.

I didn’t make it past the first couple minutes. It was giving me the heaves.

DaMav on August 23, 2008 at 12:50 AM

This drivel reinforces my belief that many Obama supporters like what their support for HIM says about them. In this way it is self referencing, reflexive and ultimately a narcissistic excercise.

I have serious doubts that his campaign can transcend this level of self absorption even among the seemingly devoted into a significant voting base.

The hard core supporters will vote for the ONE, but it will be pretty easy for the fringe supporters to enjoy the sense of community his campaign provides while pulling the McCain lever in the fall.

Moreover, a McCain victory will provide another self absorbed exploration of “what might have been” and underscore their own world view of what’s wrong with this country while reinforcing their elevated stature.

moxie_neanderthal on August 23, 2008 at 2:03 AM

The first hymn for the new Church of Obama. Is Obama the messiah? You’ll have to take it on faith since there are no signs and wonders to speak of. I wonder what MLK jr. would think of Obama tacking himself on to the legacy of a true civil rights champion. So far as I know, Obama’s only claim to be a civil rights hero was to get taxpayer money channeled to his buddy Rezko so that he could throw up cheap apartment buildings he didn’t bother to heat or maintain.

NNtrancer on August 23, 2008 at 2:57 AM

Did I hear the words, “This is the church you can’t see” in there somewhere? I couldn’t stomach replaying any of it to make sure.

God save us from these hysterical cultists! I don’t think Obama is the antichrist, but certainly, this mindless worship of empty celebrity helps to prepare the way.

And what’s MLK doing in there? Wasn’t he a Republican?

SynthSmith on August 23, 2008 at 4:10 AM

MLK’s father (MLK Sr.) was a registered Republican, at least for a while, but I’m not aware of any evidence that MLK Jr. was.

capitalist piglet on August 23, 2008 at 4:52 AM

May I please have those few minutes of my life back?

1: The song was terrible! It was a piece of junk that an uninspired 18 month old might actually be able to pull off!

2) I am disappointed to see Forrest Whitaker, an actor I respect and admire for his film acting skill, and Herbie Hancock, a gifted and innovative, and highly skilled musician, supporting Barrack Obama.

3) Although I disagree with Joan Baez on some values, she reminds me of my youth, and my time in the Bay area when I visited Filmore West, Pepperland, the Family Dog, etc., and when I owned records by Baez, Simon and Garfunkle, Miles Davis during his Bitches Brew era, etc.

4) The association with Martin Luther King, likening Obama and his aura to Dr. Kings does not fit. Dr. King went through hell and stood up to persecution. Dr. King was a civil rights leader and was charismatic and dedicated. Barrack is mainly an image created by a PR campaign. He has revealed himself to be an unskilled speaker, save for when he reads a prepared, written speech through a TelePrompTer. Otherwise he is a stuttering, mumbling, uummming, uhhhhing, unskilled communicator.

Barrack Obama does not stand for civil rights or even equality. Barrack Obama stands for Marxism, redistribution of wealth, racism and race mongering, division, government largess, false imagery, immorality, hatred and hate mongering, divisiveness, denial, surrender and submission to our enemies, weakness as a response to bullying, the dehumanizing of human beings in the womb, as well as after birth, as he has exemplified in his comments in which he does not wish to punish women for being pregnant, hence we should abort babies, and in his glee at not protecting born babies who have survived abortion by not offering them medical care.

Again, this song, the arrangement, etc., is uninspiring, is like a funeral dirge, but less inspired, is empty and devoid of spirit, and is a piece of crap.

Please, someone tell me that the person or persons who wrote, arranged, and performed that piece of garbage are not considered talented musicians.

William2006 on August 23, 2008 at 5:57 AM

All I heard for five plus minutes is not a tribute but a plea for a job if Obombem has a prayer of becoming President.

MSGTAS on August 23, 2008 at 9:36 AM

Your Honor, please allow me to present Exhibit “A” in the case for seperation of church and state.

I know I don’t get out much, but the people in this thing are…celebrities, right?

Time for a shower.

freebird on August 23, 2008 at 9:53 AM

After scratching half my hair off trying to figure out who half these people are, I found the list.

LIST OF GUESTS IN ORDER OF APPEARANCE:
Pamela Anderson
Peter & Gordon
Sierra Swan
Nadirah X
Perez Hilton

Sigoth on August 23, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Let’s face it they do not have a prayer.

MSGTAS on August 23, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Sigoth on August 23, 2008 at 10:06 AM

not only did I not recognize half the faces, I don’t recognize half the names..

reality tv stars from some obscure cable channel?

DaveC on August 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Well, if you want to regain that lost five minutes, you can listen to another Prayer. I remember watching this song live at the end of another summer Olympics, when we were all still a little shaky post-9/11 and how touching and appropriate it felt.

inmypajamas on August 23, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Margaret Cho is the angriest, un-funniest comedienne I’ve ever seen.

misterpeasea on August 23, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Obama / Biden
All they will have is an anti-American prayer.

RobCon on August 23, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Nobodies for nobody. When you add Biden, how can you get less than zero?

volsense on August 23, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Margaret Cho is the angriest, un-funniest comedienne I’ve ever seen.

misterpeasea on August 23, 2008 at 11:18 AM

And you can take that to the bank!

William2006 on August 23, 2008 at 1:37 PM

inmypajamas on August 23, 2008 at 11:06 AM

“inmypajamas,”

That was very nice.

I remember how beautiful the opening ceremony to the 2002 Winter Olympics was. United States Ice Skating champion, the very graceful and charming Kristy Yamaguchi appeared in her red skating outfit and exhibited such grace and charm as she floated through the ceremony grounds as if she were a celestial being.

Here is another beautiful tune which I enjoy.

William2006 on August 23, 2008 at 2:00 PM

William2006 – Yes, that was beautiful. Phantom of the Opera is one of my daughter’s favorite movies and we watch it often.

Oops, my son points out that it was the 2002 winter Olympics. Not enough coffee this morning, I guess.

inmypajamas on August 23, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Sh/t! Now i’ll have to burn all my Cindy Lauper CDs.

/s

TheSitRep on August 23, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Sh/t! Now i’ll have to burn all my Cindy Lauper CDs.

/s

TheSitRep on August 23, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Girls just want to have fun!

Obama will save us all, so let us all rejoice in the Annointed One, the ObaMessiah.

As I said in my original post under this thread, that so-called song was crap. It was worse than a funeral dirge, and I hope someone will tell me that it was not written and arranged by someone considered to be talented.

William2006 on August 23, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Girls just want to have fun!

William2006 on August 23, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Heh, Dave Stewart is arguably talented….Annie was tres hooah on the eyes in my youth.

Look the beautiful people are irritated that the last 8 years have been dominated by the dutiful people…..this is just their way of crying “love me daddy”.

sven10077 on August 23, 2008 at 7:22 PM

HA HA HA…..Mad TV on Fox just did a spoof on this stupid-ass video. Hilarious!

Everyone in this video will have to pay their therapists overtime on the day of Nov. 5th. Tee Hee!!!!!

BTW….who in the hell are some of these people?

Winebabe on August 24, 2008 at 12:45 AM

My American prayer is that Obama is crushed in the election and I get to watch these twits steep in their own self loathing for another 4 years…

Wyznowski on August 24, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Sierra Swan

sounds like a porn star name

urbancenturion on August 25, 2008 at 1:04 PM