The One: The One has made his decision; Update: Kaine out of the running?

posted at 3:28 pm on August 21, 2008 by Allahpundit

3 p.m. already and not a single worthless VP speculation post up on the site? Let’s do something about that. Obama’s given two interviews in the past 24 hours dropping airy hints about whom he’s settled on. First, at Time, on the subject of what the pick will tell America about him:

Hopefully, the same thing that my campaign has told the American people about me. That I think through big decisions. I get a lot of input from a lot of people, and that ultimately, I try to surround myself with people who are about getting the job done, and who are not about ego, self-aggrandizement, getting their names in the press, but our focus on what’s best for the American people.

I think people will see that I’m not afraid to have folks around me who complement my strengths and who are independent. I’m not a believer in a government of yes—men. I think one of the failures of the early Bush Administration was being surrounded by people who were unwilling to deliver bad news, or who were prone to simply feed the president information that confirmed his own preconceptions.

And now, fronting at Drudge, a quickie from USA Today:

Obama said he wanted somebody who is “prepared to be president” and who will be “a partner with me in strengthening this economy for the middle class and working families.”

He said he was looking for not just a partner but a sparring partner. “I want somebody who’s independent, somebody who can push against my preconceived notions and challenge me so we have got a robust debate in the White House.”

That last bit sounds like a way of preparing the ground for a nominee who voted for the war — as Bayh, Biden, and Hillary all did — but the boldfaced part in the Time interview about a low-key veep leaves only Bayh among the three. Karen Tumulty, who conducted the interview, analyzed what Obama said and also concluded that he’s talking about Bayh, and that was before the USA Today piece was published. Both Bill Kristol and TNR see hints of a dark-horse candidate here, though. No, not Sam Nunn; he’s now out of the running, evidently. Is Barry O about to make America say, “Who?”

Update: I assumed earlier that the meeting Obama had with Kaine’s staff this afternoon pointed towards him being the pick, but this makes it sound like maybe it was arranged to break some bad news. Not only is Kaine flying out to Denver Friday night — a weird move given the VP rollout on Saturday in Illinois — but his verb tense has changed:

Kaine’s reflections on being in the vice presidential mix were also tinged more with past tense than present.

“It makes me feel good…flattering,” Kaine said, “I’ve always thought it seemed a bit unlikely but I’m not going to tell you it hadn’t been fun.”

Asked if he has been let in to any conversations surrounding the Democratic veepstakes, Kaine said “I’m going to let the campaign take from here. They’re going to reveal what they want to reveal when they want to reveal it.”

“It’s been nice to be mentioned but I’m going to let them do the heavy lifting at this point,” he added.

Comments

It’s going to be Tim Kaine. Nice choice there Obama; pick someone who also has near zero experience.

carbon_footprint on August 21, 2008 at 3:31 PM

I’d go crazy if I had to game out everything I said the way these guys do.

BadgerHawk on August 21, 2008 at 3:31 PM

The important question is: who is she going to name as her VP selection?

Think_b4_speaking on August 21, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Does anybody really care?

DAT60A3 on August 21, 2008 at 3:32 PM

I was leaning hard toward Biden for quite a while, but the recent behavior by Mr. Kaine has made me think he may be the one.

Well, not The One, but ‘the one’.

You know what I mean.

cntrlfrk on August 21, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Obama/ Liebermann ’08!

cntrlfrk on August 21, 2008 at 3:33 PM

You can all stop speculating. Apparently, it’s me.

ironman on August 21, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Didn’t Kristol hint at Sen. Jack Reed of RI? West Point grad? Not enough personality to outshine the Messiah?

Wethal on August 21, 2008 at 3:34 PM

My eyes are bleeding.

lorien1973 on August 21, 2008 at 3:35 PM

By the way, this is a link to an LA Weekly story about our very own Baldilocks!

carbon_footprint on August 21, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Other than Hillary, who can he pick that gives him a shot at winning? Isn’t she his only hope, and if not, who then, and does anybody think he will pick the Hildebeest? I don’t think he has the guts.

JustTruth101 on August 21, 2008 at 3:36 PM

I’m leaning toward The Eyebrow. You have to figure with Obama not being too bright, he needs to go with the short, stupid guy to make himself look better.

JammieWearingFool on August 21, 2008 at 3:36 PM

God, please let their convention be nasty, ugly and contentious.

marklmail on August 21, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Medved says it’s Kaine.
Baracky’s been in VA for the past 2 days, and Kaine yapped big time about McCain’s multiple home ownership. I wonder how many he has. His wife is daughter of former VA governor Linwood Holton, so they are not hut dwellers themselves.

Also, I heard that if it’s Kaine, then all 4: Pres, 1st lady, VP, Mrs. VP, are all Harvard grads.

Obama/Kaine. Say it 3 times fast. Sounds a lot like McCain?

Brat on August 21, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Together they have almost a whole term of experience.

EJDolbow on August 21, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Obama/Kaine. Say it 3 times fast. Sounds a lot like McCain?

Brat on August 21, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Wow, that could be interesting.

carbon_footprint on August 21, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Obama/Kaine. Say it 3 times fast. Sounds a lot like McCain?

Brat on August 21, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Sounds like a liniment for sore muscles.

Wethal on August 21, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Obama/Olbermann? Talk about a pair of boobs. (o)(o)

BobK on August 21, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Er, yeah. I linked his piece right at the end of the post.

Allahpundit on August 21, 2008 at 3:41 PM

I don`t see how he can remain competitive if its not the hildebeast.

elduende on August 21, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Kaine out? Pity.

Brown sugar and potato dumpling would have made such a combination.

Wethal on August 21, 2008 at 3:41 PM

I don`t see how he can remain competitive if its not the hildebeast.

elduende on August 21, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Agree with you 100%. Hillary is the only choice he could make that would really worry me.
The others, not so much.

carbon_footprint on August 21, 2008 at 3:42 PM

How about a composite candidate.

Someone like Hilbayden.

MarkTheGreat on August 21, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Think_b4_speaking on August 21, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Good point. We’ve droned on endlessly about who Barry might pick,..and have forgotten all about who Her Majesty would favor. If he picks someone for VP before the convention and Hillary steals the brass ring away, does she then have to make her VP pick during Denver? Who does she like? Howling confusion, is the way I see it, complete with Obamites standing on desks and shrieking into TV camera lenses.

a capella on August 21, 2008 at 3:43 PM

…but our focus on what’s best for the American people.

WTF does he know about what’s best for the American people? That kind of comment spins me up.

DerKrieger on August 21, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Howard Dean, everyone else turned him down.

meci on August 21, 2008 at 3:44 PM

I heard ABC News radio describe Kaine as “as giddy as a high-school girl before the prom” on a news report this morning. This wasn’t a talk show, it was the news and it was ABC. It made me sit up because ridicule disguised as news it usually reserved for the (R).

Marcus on August 21, 2008 at 3:45 PM

By the way, this is a link to an LA Weekly story about our very own Baldilocks!

carbon_footprint on August 21, 2008 at 3:35 PM

That’s wonderful! Nice article about our baldilocks! Congratulations!

Connie on August 21, 2008 at 3:45 PM

It absolutely cannot be Gov. Kaine unless there is a need for two empty suits within one administration. I almost don’t want to move back to Virginia considering the idiots that state has been electing lately. Apparently Gilmore can’t even get over $200K in fund raising against Mark Warner. And I can’t even look at Webb without wondering how he gets away with that awful rug on his head. I am shallow. Watching red turn to blue is VERY disheartening.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I still think it will be Kaine.

Obama has a Jim Blanchard problem. Political junkies may remember Jim Blanchard, the “Boy Gov” of Michigan back in the late 80s. It seems he insisted that everyone in his administration must be younger and less experienced than him, which was tough, because he was twelve-and-a-half.

There were some really young people running departments in Michigan in those days. It was all a function of Blanchard’s ego and insecurity that he could not stand to have somebody look more accomplished than him.

Obama is cut from the same cloth, if you ask me. That is why it must be Kaine.

gridlock2 on August 21, 2008 at 3:48 PM

For a younger guy, Barry sure does have a lot of “preconcieved notions”.

Jackass.

benrand on August 21, 2008 at 3:49 PM

He really should pick somebody who had a successful dump yesterday.

EJDolbow on August 21, 2008 at 3:50 PM

carbon_footprint on August 21, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Don’t worry too much. she would keep him in the running but she brings high negatives with her that would galvanize our side. Aside from that his change and reform platform goes down the drain.

elduende on August 21, 2008 at 3:51 PM

If he picks someone more experienced than he, he runs the risk of being compared to Bush, who chose the older, more experienced Cheney. A VP should also be seen as a potential successor, which an older guy (ok Obama’s only 47), would raise.

Wethal on August 21, 2008 at 3:52 PM

How about somebody who will push against Barack’s “preconceived notion” that he is capable of being a good President of the USA?

EJDolbow on August 21, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Obama says he doesn’t want a yes-man and Kaine says he doesn’t want to do any more heavy lifting. Sounds like a Haitian divorce. At least he got an invite to the convention. Our governor Blogo was given home detention like Kwame. : ))

Angry Dumbo on August 21, 2008 at 3:56 PM

“…Obama said he wanted somebody who is “prepared to be president” ……

As opposed to say….Obama (PBUH) HIMSELF?????

Dale in Atlanta on August 21, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Marcus on August 21, 2008 at 3:45 PM

That sounds like it is offensive to high school girls.

Think_b4_speaking on August 21, 2008 at 3:58 PM

For a younger guy, Barry sure does have a lot of “preconcieved notions”.

Jackass.

benrand on August 21, 2008 at 3:49 PM

What do you expect from someone who wrote their autobiography in their late thirties?

carbon_footprint on August 21, 2008 at 3:59 PM

I’m not a believer in a government of yes—men.

Doesn’t that rule out Kaine, then?

Think_b4_speaking on August 21, 2008 at 3:59 PM

I only care about who it is because I want this continual speculation to stop already.

HawaiiLwyr on August 21, 2008 at 4:00 PM

There are the outsiders that don’t get much talk:

Ray Nagin – Built-in distraction tool.
Rodney King – The idea man (domestic/foreign relations expert, drug czar to boot!)
Tookie – brings the gang and childrens vote (posthumously, of course)
Al Sistani – for that unity, diversity, university thing …whatever
Kos himself…that’s actually scary

There’s a whole world of possibilities out there.

BobMbx on August 21, 2008 at 4:02 PM

I thought we were suppose to know by know who his pick is. Oh well.

terryannonline on August 21, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Yawn. Wake me up when it’s over. I detest how they are jerking everyone around on these VP picks. I guess they think they can create enthusiasm that doesn’t exist.

Blake on August 21, 2008 at 4:17 PM

I thought we were suppose to know by know who his pick is. Oh well.

terryannonline on August 21, 2008 at 4:11 PM

I suppose we should consider it good news that the Obama campaign is heightening the tension this way. They are looking for the traditional excitement that comes from this kind of announcement, but in this case, given that Obama himself is supposed to be all the excitement necessary, it reveals their insecurity.

I don’t think it will be Hillary–she has better options without him. And I don’t think anyone else he chooses will be particularly exciting or helpful to him.

I’m guessing it’s going to be a snoozer with some loser.

JiangxiDad on August 21, 2008 at 4:18 PM

God, please let their convention be nasty, ugly and contentious.

marklmail on August 21, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Let’s see……………. even with the MSM in the pockets of the Democrats, I believe we will see a show case of what they “think” the American people want to vote for…….

…….. Incompetent, inexperienced, marxisat socialist, who believe in the redistribution of income, affirmative action, and endless welfare, blaming Amercia for the ills of the world, never to be energy independent, a growing bueacracy funded by never ending tax hikes, fairness doctrine to silence opposition, justifiable infanticide, increasing powers of the teacher’s union, defeat in all military conflicts currenty engaged in, total submission to our enemies, and the addition of the 57th state.

…………. sound about right?

Seven Percent Solution on August 21, 2008 at 4:20 PM

I build model airplanes with my daughter. Obama is as qualified to be President as I am to fly a 747 full of people. The guy is damn-near a zero.

marklmail on August 21, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2008 at 3:46 PM

Come quickly. We need to overpower the red hordes in Northern Virgina or we’ll end up with that horse faced moron, Mark Warner, as our Senator. That’d be a horse face and a horse’s ass as our only senate representatives.

pistolero on August 21, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Shoot, I thought we’d finally get rid of that worthless idiot, Tim Kaine, but then since the Democrats would just replace him with another equally worthless clown, I guess it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference.

NoDonkey on August 21, 2008 at 4:28 PM

BobMbx: Heres a name for your list of outsiders. And I guarantee this one will make Hillary’s head explode. Monica Lewinsky turned 35 on July 23rd so she is eligible to serve ‘The One’.

meci on August 21, 2008 at 4:29 PM

pistolero on August 21, 2008 at 4:22 PM

I am trying. My husband is living there now. Putting large gapping holes in the house with apparently no forethought on how to “fill” said hole. Plus we have a house in Florida to sell that loses value everyday. Not a huge deal because we will still make money but he needs to come here so we can get it on the market. Too much information, sorry.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Here’s an analysis of today’s multiple home ownership boohoobroooohaha, but the last paragraph is interesting:

One other interesting side note about the housing story: If Obama’s campaign had planned to roll out their vice presidential pick at any point today, that announcement is likely to be put on hold. Why? The campaign believes the story about McCain’s many houses is political gold and they won’t want to step on it with a veep announcement that would immediately change the day’s storyline.

Brat on August 21, 2008 at 4:36 PM

meci on August 21, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Yeah, I see Mrs. The One letting that happen.

Cindy Munford on August 21, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Imagine what the nutroots will do if he picks Bayh.

Not only do they not get to lose Iraq, the get a VP who voted in favor of the war.

It will take at least a day or two for them to fall back in line after soiling their diapers and yelling at mom.

NoDonkey on August 21, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Bill Kristol was just on Cavuto claiming he thinks it will be Sen. Jack Reed of RI. Foreign policy credentials, West Point grad and against the war in Iraq… interesting.

D2Boston on August 21, 2008 at 4:37 PM

D2Boston on August 21, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Reid was against the surge too.

JiangxiDad on August 21, 2008 at 4:40 PM

I try to surround myself with people who are about getting the job done, and who are not about ego, self-aggrandizement, getting their names in the press . . . .

In other words, I want a VP who is completely unlike me, said Obama.

AZCoyote on August 21, 2008 at 4:41 PM

That’s a wonderful soundbite but Obama doesn’t come off as the kind of politician that really means it when he says he wants “robust debate.” All the talk about an independent VP leads me to believe that perhaps it is a dark horse. James Traficant out of jail yet?

highhopes on August 21, 2008 at 4:42 PM

He cannot pick the perfect VP to complement him. That person doesn’t exist or won’t serve with him. Every choice is problematic–they may even all suck.

JiangxiDad on August 21, 2008 at 4:44 PM

He really should pick somebody who had a successful dump yesterday.

EJDolbow on August 21, 2008 at 3:50 PM

After a certain age, every dump is a successful dump.

mikeyboss on August 21, 2008 at 4:45 PM

All this incessant VP speculation is becoming most absurd. Everyone is going about it all wrong. We should be able to figure all this VP stuff out mathematically, like they do on that TV show, “Numb3rs”.

This is not nearly as complex as what Charlie Eppes has to deal with, so it should be much easier. Why a five year old child should be able to come up with the answer using this method.

We should be able to just convert all the possible VP’s names to numbers and go from there. Multiply them all out times the number of houses that each possibility has and we should get our VP nominee. Even a 5 year old should be able to do it and it should work for both parties too.

Let me see: four times five is twelve, and four times six is thirteen, and four times seven is fourteen and four times eight is – oh my! I shall never get to who the VP nominees will be at this rate! However, the Multiplication Table doesn’t really signify, so let’s try Geography. Yes, Geography should do it for sure! Iraq borders Pakistan and Putin is the President of Germany and America has 57 states, – no, that’s all wrong, I’m certain!

I must be trying to over analyze all this and make it too complicated. That must be it. I can’t make head nor tail out of it now.Somebody run out and find a five year old child. Until then we should probably all just stick with pulling names out of our a$$es and stay with that. At least for now until I get the bugs worked out in my geographical mathematical VP formula and someone can find a five year old child to interpret it.

MB4 on August 21, 2008 at 4:47 PM

JiangxiDad on August 21, 2008 at 4:44 PM

As the messiah, doesn’t he need 12 instead of just one?

Brat on August 21, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Pleeease….make….it….stop.

Could team One be so shrewd as to sandbag us with Hillary?

She needs no vetting, she brings a huge block of voters, she’s pretty good at running, BJ will campaign like mad for the ticket, she probably won’t hose up a debate, she’s out of the picture (if elected) AND don’t forget how historic it will be (no chance of that with NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, et. al reminding people of it 24/7).

rockhead on August 21, 2008 at 5:02 PM

You guys need to get outside and play more. All this speculation is making your brains melt

E9RET on August 21, 2008 at 5:04 PM

By the way, this is a link to an LA Weekly story about our very own Baldilocks!

carbon_footprint on August 21, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Baldilocks = Real Class Act.

coldwarrior on August 21, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Obama doesn’t want a VP “about ego and self-aggrandizement.” To paraphrase Bill O’Reilly, that’s his (Obama’s) job.

As it says in the Bible, the meek shall inherit the earth, if some misfortune befalls the Lamb of Odd who talks away the sins of the world.

Steve Z on August 21, 2008 at 5:28 PM

It’s obvious, it’s John Edwards buddy, Fred.

GarandFan on August 21, 2008 at 5:37 PM

No Big Daddy Kaine? Oh well another one bites the dust, and another one gone, and another one gone, another one bites the dust….

Dr Evil on August 21, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Seems to me that this whole email and text message thing is just a way for Camp 57 Barry to fundraise and gather data on people. I wonder how long he can keep it going. Does he really want to announce on a Friday?

My money is on either Sunday evening or late monday morning.

William Teach on August 21, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Why does he need to pick anyone, he is the One!There was no VP for Jesus

ConservativePartyNow on August 21, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Yes, it would be good to have someone in the WH to scapegoat.
As Elvis Costello said long ago: “Blame it on Cain/Kaine, don’t blame it on me”. If he doesn’t win, he can always blame it on McCain. N’yuck, n’yuck. (I have a feeling that he will do the latter.)

Christine on August 21, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Citizen of the World and Citizen Kaine

whitetop on August 21, 2008 at 7:10 PM

The picture of Herself: priceless.

Speaking of which. For those who saw the picture of BO in Wonkette in which he’s carrying a snorkle that we Hope isn’t his member…Strange how his skin is whiter everywhere except his face, neck and arms. I guess almost anyone can make their skin darker but, doesn’t that mean he’s whiter than the average ‘African American’?
I know this doesn’t matter to his sycophants, yet i find it amusing that he’s like me; we both have a ‘farmer tan’. Snicker-snort.

Christine on August 21, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Push against his preconceived notions? Like about Iraq?

Sounds like he loves Lieberman to me. Hillary on both tickets? Now Lieberman on both tickets. Lieberman/clinton for the GOP; clinton/Lieberman for the Dems.

flicker on August 21, 2008 at 7:28 PM

we both have a ‘farmer tan’. Snicker-snort.

Christine on August 21, 2008 at 7:11 PM

So, are you calling Obama a redneck? He really is post-racial.

flicker on August 21, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Howard Dean, everyone else turned him down.

meci on August 21, 2008 at 3:44 PM

LOL, except nah, Jean Francios Querrie wouldn’t turn him down.

funky chicken on August 21, 2008 at 7:43 PM

And for VP Obama picks……………………..OBAMA! He couldn’t find anyone more qualified to fill his shoes…./s

Mandrake on August 22, 2008 at 1:44 PM