RNC continues its dominance in fundraising

posted at 9:45 am on August 21, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama may be doubling up John McCain in campaign fundraising, but the RNC continues its dominance of the DNC this election cycle.  The RNC outraised its rival more than 2-1 in contributions and by $6 million in total receipts in July, and now has a $68 million advantage in cash-on-hand.  The numbers bode ill for any assistance Obama expects from his party in the final stanza of the campaign:

RNC:

Total Contributions Cycle: $91,727,482.74

Receipts 7/1/08 to 7/31/08: $19,917,201.72

Total Receipts Cycle: $109,881,570.58

Spent 7/1/08 to 7/31/08: $16,715,863.96

Total Spent Cycle: $105,863,844.19

Debt: $0.00

The DNC has had to rescue the convention host committee, which probably accounts for its high burn rate.  Right now, the DNC has spent 96% of everything they’ve received in this cycle, while the Republicans have spent 67%.  In July, this trend continued even with the RNC boosting McCain against Obama’s big fundraising summer, although the gap narrowed, with an 84% burn rate for the DNC versus a 75% burn rate for the RNC.

The small amount in contributions probably reflects the Obama reversal on public financing.  With Obama raising his own general-election funds, donors haven’t flocked to the DNC, which has to also help in down-ticket races as well as national messaging apart from the Obama campaign.  At this rate, an anemic $7 million cash on hand points to a greatly reduced impact from the national party, which could help even the odds on some tight Congressional races.

The RNC now has an even greater advantage in that the McCain campaign won’t be competing for donors any more, and that general-election donations will accrue directly to their coffers.  McCain will have $42 million in each of the two months before the election in government funding.  The combined weight of the RNC/McCain coffers will seriously compete with anything Obama can raise, while freeing the candidate to campaign.

Part of the problem Obama has is that his exceptional fundraising this summer hasn’t translated into more support.  In fact, in every poll, Obama has lost significant ground this summer and needs to find a way to turn the race around.  At the moment, it appears that Obama and the DNC won’t have the resources for that kind of effective campaign.

Comments

it appears that Obama and the DNC won’t have the resources for that kind of effective expensive campaign.

ffy

upinak on August 21, 2008 at 9:48 AM

This is just pure ignorance on my part, but what happens to the campaign money that is not spent after the election? (I’m talking individual campaigns, not the RNC or DNC).

Just curious. Can anyone answer that for me?

pullingmyhairout on August 21, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Any recent reports on what the numbers are for both parties congressional and senatorial committees? I fear the numbers aren’t nearly as encouraging with those.

In response to pullingmyhairout, if they have any left over (big if) they just keep it for other uses. A few states have elctions in odd number years, and then there are always local elections, special elections, party building, etc.

BuzzCrutcher on August 21, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Sounds like Obama is poaching donors who might otherwise have supported the party. Hehe.

Maybe Obama should have taken public financing and encouraged willing donors to support the DNC or local candidates, but I wouldn’t have expected this kind of foresight from people who think corn-based ethanol is a good idea.

forest on August 21, 2008 at 10:12 AM

The chickens are coming home to roost, and Obama is an egg-sucking dog for the DNC.

This election just keeps getting better all the time.

Right_of_Attila on August 21, 2008 at 10:12 AM

OK, but BO has Soros, the unions, & the MSM.

jgapinoy on August 21, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Barack made a fool’s bet. Can anyone say implosion?

BKennedy on August 21, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Barack’s a losing proposition, and the Dems will waste hundreds of millions on him rather than shore up the Congress. I envision a potential sweep of government in November.

fossten on August 21, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Who funds GOTV efforts? If that comes out of the DNC and RNC funds, the Dims are in deep kim chee.

NeighborhoodCatLady on August 21, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Just curious. Can anyone answer that for me?

pullingmyhairout on August 21, 2008 at 9:59 AM

It’s all sent back to the donors with interest.

(Actually, I think it stays in the candidate’s war chest for future campaigns. The canditate also has the option of donating it to other party candidates.)

Rod on August 21, 2008 at 10:26 AM

If you don’t cut a check to the Obama campaign, then you are a racist.

jukin on August 21, 2008 at 10:32 AM

If you don’t cut a check to the Obama campaign, then you are a racist.

jukin on August 21, 2008 at 10:32 AM

How many pieces do I need to cut that check into?

NeighborhoodCatLady on August 21, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Obama just needs to keep it together long enough to actually *get* the nomination.

Just hang in there, Barry! Just a little longer!

Mew

acat on August 21, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Rod on August 21, 2008 at 10:26 AM

BuzzCrutcher on August 21, 2008 at 10:04 AM

They’re not allowed to keep it for their own use after “retirement”, right?

pullingmyhairout on August 21, 2008 at 10:49 AM

IIRC, I read somewhere that when a politician retires, he usually winds up keeping that warchest for his own personal use.

rbj on August 21, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Barack made a fool’s bet. Can anyone say implosion?

BKennedy on August 21, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Yeah, he’s quite a gambler. His whole history shows him as one. Dare I say it, he is audacious. But, he lost. And while there may be second chances for failed politicians, there is no such thing for failed messiahs. Bye-bye Barry.

JiangxiDad on August 21, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Fiscal conservatism FTW.

Now why can’t the GOP do similar things with their budget when they’re in control of the country?

ballz2wallz on August 21, 2008 at 11:03 AM

I’m not quite sure what the RNC is spending its money on. I’d like to see it going to support Republicans in Congress who are proponents of drill here, drill now… or at the very least to have generic Vote Republican messages, focusing on energy.

Buy Danish on August 21, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Buy Danish on August 21, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I’d like to see a big chunk of RNC money go to the drill here drill now Republicans too. Plus a big cash bonus to Rep. Thaddeus McCotter just for being awesome.

Gilda on August 21, 2008 at 11:16 AM

I don’t know where to ask this question so I will use this thread: is Hot Air going to have a gathering/party at the RNC and if so, where? I would love to go if that is a possibility. Will you all be at the media party on 8/30?

foxforce91 on August 21, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Until maybe 10-12 years ago, when a politician retired he could personally keep any leftover campaign funds he had. The year the law was scheduled to change a number of congressmen retired so they could do just that. The rule never applied to parties and committees, as they never “retired”.

Now if a congressman retires with leftover camapign funds, the money must be giving to other political funds or to charity. It can’t go for personal use.

BuzzCrutcher on August 21, 2008 at 11:26 AM

If Obama started to get huge checks from Soros, that would make a great Republican commercial.

MarkTheGreat on August 21, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Damn:

Things Are Getting Rough Out There [Byron York]

From McCain spokesman Brian Rogers, in response to the Obama campaign’s new offensive on John McCain’s houses:

Does a guy who made more than $4 million last year, just got back from vacation on a private beach in Hawaii and bought his own million-dollar mansion with the help of a convicted felon really want to get into a debate about houses? Does a guy who worries about the price of arugula and thinks regular people “cling” to guns and religion in the face of economic hardship really want to have a debate about who’s in touch with regular Americans?

The reality is that Barack Obama’s plans to raise taxes and opposition to producing more energy here at home as gas prices skyrocket show he’s completely out of touch with the concerns of average Americans.

funky chicken on August 21, 2008 at 11:46 AM

We thought the Republican Primary campaign was rancorous, but it looks like the Democrats’ infighting cost them a lot more and they might not have much at all left over for the real campaign.

Now, if only Hillary makes a play at the Convention….

I know the odds are against that, but I’ll keep a supply of popcorn on hand just in case. That stuff keeps forever anyway.

logis on August 21, 2008 at 12:41 PM

The DNC has had to rescue the convention host committee,

Ummm ——————– I seem to recall them using Katrina donations for somthing like this.

allrsn on August 21, 2008 at 3:06 PM

If Obama loses what will the DNC do for money?

Terrye on August 21, 2008 at 5:08 PM

This RNC advantage is accelerating, too. I just heard that they took in another three million yesterday.

trigon on August 21, 2008 at 6:21 PM

I’m flabbergasted! I did not know the RNC was doing so well, particularly after the not one dime campaing. They have sent me mailers, contacted me on the net, but when they called me for the nth time the following ensued:

I come from a long line of Republicans. My father and mother were both Republicans. They were Republicans of the party of Lincoln. I have been a Republican since 1961. I have voted for Democrats, particulary here in Oklahoma, where in the past the choice has been among Democrats – bad, middlin’, good, and great. The Republicans never showed up. Way back when, the ol’ country girl was so disgusted with the choices that she supported and voted for Ross P. I explained that I really thought that would be a lost vote because all that would happen is the conservative and libertarian switch would give us (even at that time) slick willie.

I am not a conservative with a capital “c”, but I have become more independent as I age. Well, this old man got a call from a representative of the national Republicans. He gave me the canned spiel about all the support I have given them and so on. He asked me for money. I have given to our two senators Coburn and Inhoff. However, I won’t give to the national party. I merely stated that I gave to my two senators, but will not give to the national party until “I’m not going to listen” they come up “to this” with a more reasonable “click” policy on….

As I wrote to Senator Inhoff, I’m going down to the election board this week and re-register other than Republican. My Party has left me.

The preceeding was from my little read and private blog.
I guess that because McCain cant take the direct contributions, it has to go throught he RNC. However, I guess my action was futile.

Old Country Boy on August 21, 2008 at 9:18 PM