Obama/Biden for the Arrogance Ticket?

posted at 10:55 am on August 21, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Mickey Kaus does a little sleuthing and discovers that Joe Biden’s collapse in the 1988 presidential election cycle didn’t just come from his plagiarism of Neil Kinnock. In a 1987 New York Times article, E.J. Dionne reported on a series of blunders by the Delaware Senator that knocked him out of contention.  This list includes plagiarism, misrepresentation of his educational achievements, and telling a voter about his big, big brain:

The tape, which was made available by C-SPAN in response to a reporter’s request, showed a testy exchange in response to a question about his law school record from a man identified only as ”Frank.” Mr. Biden looked at his questioner and said: ”I think I have a much higher I.Q. than you do.”

He then went on to say that he ”went to law school on a full academic scholarship – the only one in my class to have a full academic scholarship,” Mr. Biden said. He also said that he ”ended up in the top half” of his class and won a prize in an international moot court competition. In college, Mr. Biden said in the appearance, he was ”the outstanding student in the political science department” and ”graduated with three degrees from college.”

Well, if we measured political IQ, Biden might barely show up on the scale.  As Dionne notes later in the article, Biden got one degree from college, a double major.  He didn’t get a full scholarship to law school; he got a partial scholarship and received grants to cover the rest.  He didn’t graduate in the top half of his class, as he asserted to “Frank”, whose IQ score has been lost in the mists of time.  In fact, Biden came in 76th in a class of 85, which isn’t even close.

Obviously, math wasn’t one of his double majors.

What was Biden’s excuse at the time?  “I exaggerate when I’m angry.”

Maybe it’s the burden of that really, really big brain he has to carry with him at all times.

What kind of person brags about his IQ to belittle someone debating him?  What an arrogant, nasty remark to someone whose vote Biden ostensibly wanted for his presidential run.  It matches well with Barack Obama’s own combination of arrogance and ignorance, such as when he scolded Americans for their lack of charity at the Saddleback Church forum last weekend.  If they get bored, maybe they can compare IQ scores on the campaign trail.

Comments

If Obama loved us, he’d pick Biden.

JeffreyLloyd on August 21, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Please pick Biden, oh please oh please oh please!

JustTruth101 on August 21, 2008 at 10:59 AM

This ticket is a lock to carry Illinois and Delaware.

NoDonkey on August 21, 2008 at 10:59 AM

What an arrogant, dishonest nitwit.

Sounds like the perfect match for Obama.

AZCoyote on August 21, 2008 at 11:00 AM

How do these know-it-all cranky pants get elected in the first place?

tree hugging sister on August 21, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Why the heck are you printing all of this today, and not Monday?

MarkTheGreat on August 21, 2008 at 11:01 AM

How do these know-it-all cranky pants get elected in the first place?

Unfortunately there are a lot of Democrats who truely believe that there IQ’s are bigger than the average voters.

MarkTheGreat on August 21, 2008 at 11:02 AM

What was Biden’s excuse at the time? “I exaggerate when I’m angry.”

And they worry about McCain’s temper?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 21, 2008 at 11:03 AM

I wish we could get lucky enough for him to pick Biden, but I doubt it’s going to happen.

BadgerHawk on August 21, 2008 at 11:04 AM

What kind of person brags about his IQ to belittle someone debating him?

My grandmother used to say that if a boss had to constantly remind everyone he was boss, he probably wasn’t much of one. Maybe that aphorism can be applied here as well.

Think_b4_speaking on August 21, 2008 at 11:04 AM

He’s Clean, He’s Articulate…

just the type of VP we need./sac

PappaMac on August 21, 2008 at 11:05 AM

What was Biden’s excuse at the time?  “I exaggerate when I’m angry.”

Now that is a helpful feature for a commander in chief – NOT!

Right_of_Attila on August 21, 2008 at 11:05 AM

If one were to look in the latest issue of Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary, and look up the phrase “pompous ass”, you will most likely find Joe Biden’s picture next to the definition.

pilamaye on August 21, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I don’t think having an IQ is better then having good grounded common sense. Biden’s brain must be deflated.

upinak on August 21, 2008 at 11:07 AM

I’ve got a few Mensa quiz books we could loan them, see how they do while here in Denver.
Actually that might be fun to take one down there,see what happens, the look on their faces would be great.

shooter on August 21, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Please, Obama, give me the opportunity to vote against both you, and this pompous jerk!

Hening on August 21, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Just imagine the ad:

Joseph Biden has been the target of attacks because of a response to a question over two decades ago.

His detractors claim he belittled a man by saying he had “a much higher IQ than you”.

What those smear campaigners don’t realize, is that he has a much higher IQ than you, too.

Hell, you’re willing to vote for a young, inexperienced empty suit simply because he’s black, he’s handsome, and he can read off a teleprompter smoothly. Compared to you, Biden is a nucular physicist. Now vote for him, stupid.

Obama/Biden ’08

If you bought the first half, might as well take the rest, moron.

MadisonConservative on August 21, 2008 at 11:16 AM

What an interesting headline, even though the article is gone.

McCain urged to join Kerry ticket
Biden says a joint ticket would help heal ‘vicious rift’ dividing U.S.

MadisonConservative on August 21, 2008 at 11:20 AM

What kind of person brags about his IQ to belittle someone debating him?

……………… a jackass.

Seven Percent Solution on August 21, 2008 at 11:21 AM

MadisonConservative on August 21, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Not another MSNBC Oppsey!

upinak on August 21, 2008 at 11:22 AM

On the one hand, it would be great strategic pick to shore up the important Delaware vote…on the other hand, I’m not sure his hair plugs meet the age requirement for the office.

Nosferightu on August 21, 2008 at 11:22 AM

March 2004:

Biden endorses a Kerry-McCain ticket
Democrat’s ‘Hardball’ comments likely to fuel new speculation
By Mike Stuckey
MSNBC.com Politics Editor

One of the presidential nominating season’s most unusual ideas was pushed again Tuesday, this time by one of the most powerful Democrats in Congress, when Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware advocated a “unity” ticket of Democratic Sen. John Kerry and Republican Sen. John McCain.

Biden made his comments on MSNBC TV’s “Hardball” when moderator Chris Matthews asked him: “Do you think McCain is seriously — and I mean this professionally — flirting with the idea of accepting a second place on the ticket with John Kerry, and creating a fusion ticket to run against the president?”

Replied Biden: “I think that this is time for unity in this country, and maybe it is time to have a guy like John McCain — a Republican — on the ticket with a guy he does like. They do get along. And they don’t have fundamental disagreements on major policies.”

When asked by Matthews if he would support such a ticket, Biden said, “I would. Yeah, if John Kerry said that’s who he wanted, and McCain — I’d encourage McCain to say yes. I doubt whether John would do it. I doubt whether John McCain would do it. But, you know, we need some unity here, man. The red states and the blue states — we’ve got to have something to coalesce around here.”

The notion that a lifelong Republican like McCain would join the Democratic ticket is widely dismissed by many Washington observers, but McCain himself fanned the flames when he said last week on an ABC News show that he would “entertain” joining Kerry on the Democratic ticket.

“John Kerry is a close friend of mine. We have been friends for years,” McCain said on “Good Morning America” on Wednesday. “Obviously I would entertain it.”

But the Arizona senator’s chief of staff, Mark Salter, shot the idea down a short time later, saying that he had McCain’s approval to firmly announce that “Senator McCain will not be a candidate for vice president in 2004.”

And despite his close relationship with Kerry, McCain himself had cast such an invitation as highly unlikely. “It’s impossible to imagine the Democratic Party seeking a pro-life, free-trading, non-protectionist, deficit hawk,” he said.

Biden’s endorsement of such a ticket Tuesday is likely to bring a fresh round of speculation in Washington. The Delaware Democrat is the ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and considered his own bid for the presidency this year.

Fairly bitter rivals
Writing for MSNBC.com, NBC News analyst and Newsweek Senior Editor Howard Fineman pointed out that McCain and Bush have remained fairly bitter rivals since the 2000 campaign in which Bush beat McCain for the Republican nomination: “Truth be told, John McCain really can’t stand George W. Bush, even if he agrees with him on a lot of things, especially Iraq.”

In the primary campaign in 2000, Fineman wrote, “The good ol’ boy supporters of the Bush team savaged McCain and his family, spreading vicious rumors about their character and racial makeup.”

So despite remaining firmly in the GOP camp and even campaigning for the president, McCain isn’t above tweaking Bush and his re-election team by pretending to consider a place on the Democratic ticket, Fineman explained.

As to whether or not it actually could happen, there’s nothing in party rules to prevent it, according to a recent Slate piece.

MadisonConservative on August 21, 2008 at 11:22 AM

And how about at least twice he has used that “above pay grade” phrase – Rush talked about this yesterda – so we know where Barry got it.

“And so, I — and I don’t know how much is likely to occur on that aircraft to begin with, in terms of what we may learn.
But again, I’m above my — that’s above my pay grade.”
Fox News Sunday Jan. 2002

“The decision of whether or not the country should go to war is slightly above your pay grade.”
To Scott Ritter, in hearings about the disarmament process.

Brat on August 21, 2008 at 11:23 AM

What was Biden’s excuse at the time? “I exaggerate when I’m angry.”

Did you ever notice the “excuses” liberal politicians give for their screw-ups is usually even worse than the original mistake?

“I have anger issues; I can’t deal with stress; I’m narcissistic;” and, of course the ever-popular: “I just have poor judgement.”

Any one of those “explanations” is enough to exclude someone from any position more responsible than that of night janitor – and even then you’d always have doubts that your act of societal charity would end up biting you in the ass someday.

But liberals put these basket cases up for the position of leader of the free world?

Anybody can have a brain fart or two over the course of a lifetime. But no liberal ever has to cop to that; they know they can keep indefinitely writing themselves blank checks for future tantrums by effectively saying they’re really just perpetual 3-year-olds.

There’re two ways to look at this kind of behavior, either:
A) “What in the Hell makes this self-proclaimed retard think we should let him run the whole country?” or,
B) “Awwww, he couldn’t help it; quit picking on the poor guy!”

And liberals know perfectly well which spin the media will always give them.

logis on August 21, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Let’s be reasonable. He did finish in a half of his law school class.

jl on August 21, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Oh please Uuuuuuhbama, Please pick Biden for your running mate. I promise I’ll vote for you. Why, no, I’m not hiding my hands behind my back so you can’t see my crossed fingers. I was just scratching my back. Yeah, that’s it! Scratching my back.

thekingtut on August 21, 2008 at 11:24 AM

It’s not the I.Q. that counts. It’s how you use what you’ve been given. Biden isn’t using what he’s been given.

TooTall on August 21, 2008 at 11:28 AM

If Obama loved us, he’d pick Biden.

JeffreyLloyd on August 21, 2008 at 10:58 AM

I wish he would show some love for Massachusetts and pick Lurch.

Come on, Barry! You went to law school here. It’s the least you could do!

fluffy on August 21, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Yup, he’s an arrogant know it all. Is prone to shoot his mouth off at inappropriate times too. He needs to grow his hair long like a few years ago when he had that ‘old hippie’ look going on and he’d be perfect. Perfect.

Sefton on August 21, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Do allow me to preface my singularly insightful and erudite remarks with “I think I have a much higher I.Q. than you do.”

I shall now proceed to… uhh, umm, uh, uh…
Nope, I got nothin.’

I still think I have a much higher I.Q. than you do though. So there!

(please pick Biden please please please if only for the sake of the comedy…)

Gilda on August 21, 2008 at 11:29 AM

OT: Anyone checking out Drudge right now? Is he on Obama’s payroll?

BJ on August 21, 2008 at 11:31 AM

LEAVE BRIT… er, BIDEN ALLOOOOONNNNNNE! HE’S A KIND AND GENTLE MAN AND SMART ENOUGH TO BRING REPORTERS COFFEE AND BAGELS!

(sorry for that btw)

Swinehound on August 21, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Is that the late Stephanie Tubbs Jones in the pic sitting next to JoeJoe on the front page?

Brat on August 21, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Biden isn’t using what he’s been given.

TooTall on August 21, 2008 at 11:28 AM

He’s using every ounce of what he’s been given, as have the majority of his constituents. That’s why he’s a Democrat Senator from DE.

JiangxiDad on August 21, 2008 at 11:37 AM

That would be comedy gold. Please pick Biden.

spmat on August 21, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Announcement to be made at a Dunkin’ Donuts or 7-11 by an employee with a thick, Indian accent?

JetBoy on August 21, 2008 at 11:43 AM

I’m with you guys. Pick Biden. heheh

becki51758 on August 21, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Is that Al Franken’s SNL “Pat” character to the left of Biden?

NoDonkey on August 21, 2008 at 11:54 AM

I exaggerate when I’m angry = I lie when I feel like it

BobMbx on August 21, 2008 at 11:55 AM

I can see it all now….

President: Barack H. Obama
Vice-President: Joe Biden

Secretary of State: Bill Richardson
Secretary of Treasury: George Soros
Attorney General: John Edwards
Secretary of Defense: Cynthia McKinney

indythinker on August 21, 2008 at 12:01 PM

What kind of person brags about his IQ to belittle someone debating him?

Ed

“You know education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well, and if you don’t you get stuck in Iraq.”

fossten on August 21, 2008 at 12:25 PM

He must have had his I.Q. tested by the Lovenstein Institute

Catseye on August 21, 2008 at 12:25 PM

JiangxiDad on August 21, 2008 at 11:37 AM

I stand corrected!

TooTall on August 21, 2008 at 12:31 PM

“I exaggerate when I’m angry.”

I kite checks when I’m angry.

Akzed on August 21, 2008 at 12:59 PM

I exaggerate when I’m angry = I lie when I feel like it
BobMbx on August 21, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Let’s write out the whole equation here. We know, from Joe Biden’s own admission, that he gets angry when someone questions his qualifications for office – and we know that he lies when he gets angry.

…Ergo, Joe Biden tends to lie whenever he’s questioned about his suitability for public office.

So, wouldn’t it be completely appropriate for any opponent in a poltical debate to begin his opening statement by reminding viewers about that undisputed fact?

logis on August 21, 2008 at 1:01 PM

In fact, Biden came in 76th in a class of 85, which isn’t even close.

Obviously, math wasn’t one of his double majors.

LMAO!!!

I did poorly in school(mostly in engrish class, because i didn’t try at all), but my IQ score is impressive.(if IQ really matters) >:D

Chakra Hammer on August 21, 2008 at 1:14 PM

And for those like me with even longer memories, Sen. Joe Biden, as Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, led the Democratic effort to derail Clarence Thomas’ nomination to the Supreme Court. Biden’s oiliness and arrogance was on full display during those hearings, all of which I watched.
I’ll give Biden this though. He probably is more intelligent, or at least a lot slicker, than Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid.

DavePa on August 21, 2008 at 3:24 PM

This ticket is a lock to carry Illinois and Delaware.

Correction: Chicago and Delaware.

drewas on August 21, 2008 at 4:45 PM

I kite checks when I’m angry.

Akzed on August 21, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Oh, that’s wonderful.

And I’d just like to point out that my IQ is really, really high.

mikeyboss on August 21, 2008 at 4:58 PM

And I’d just like to point out that my IQ is really, really high.
mikeyboss on August 21, 2008 at 4:58 PM

The First Rule of Self-Awareness: If you ever find yourself having to tell someone that you’re not an idiot, then you ARE an idiot.

logis on August 21, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Chris Matthews and Andrea Mitchell are having a group orgasm over Obama’s “I know a secret” tactic.

Pathetic.

fossten on August 21, 2008 at 7:04 PM

DavePa on August 21, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Maybe so, but that’s really not that hard to be or do.

eanax on August 23, 2008 at 9:53 AM

This is normal. Think about it. Dems are always saying, “tax the rich, Tax Big Biz!” No company in the world pays taxes because their CUSTOMERS pay their taxes for them. Same with the “Rich” they invest their money so any taxes come from money that won’t be invested. Money not invested denies jobs and economic growth.

So you see, for YEARS Dems have been saying this and taxing companies etc and they KNOW what it does to the economy. So they must believe that anyone who believes them in is either stupid or a fool.

In a sense they are right. They are smarter than most of the populous of the USA BECAUSE they keep getting voted into office.

Tell me, do you want to vote for someone who thinks your an idiot or a fool? believe the Dems and vote for them and that’s exactly what you are doing and you get what you deserve.

cdsmith on August 25, 2008 at 9:04 PM