Harry Reid: “I can’t stand John McCain”; Flashback: Reid and McCain attended boxing match together

posted at 2:00 pm on August 21, 2008 by Allahpundit

The Hopenchange era of post-partisan collegiality begins.

“He has a close personal relationship with John McCain. I don’t fully understand why he does,” said Reid, who said Lieberman called Tuesday from the Republic of Georgia to alert him to the move.

“I told him last night, ‘You know, Joe, I can’t stand John McCain.’ He said, ‘I know you feel that way,’ ” Reid said…

Talking about Democratic vice presidential candidates, Reid momentarily had trouble keeping them straight…

“I have a good relationship with Joe Biden. I have great respect for Joe,” Reid said. “He was driven into some of the positions he’s in because the far left took him on in the primary… I’ve done a lot to protect Joe Biden.”…

During the hourlong colloquy, Reid also forgot the name of former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner, a Democratic Senate candidate, and the Title IX legislation giving women access to school sports programs.

I don’t think he’s exaggerating. Remember, Reid’s been the point man on the nasty “McCain’s crazy” kite that the left’s been trying to fly since forever — ironically so, given the apparent state of his own steel-trap mind here. Hard for me to believe he’d take to that role with the relish he has due to nothing more than partisanship. Maybe he and Maverick had a shouting match behind closed doors at some point? Or maybe he’s bitter about McCain having nailed an important issue that Dingy himself blew spectacularly. Here’s a video flashback from last year for your amusement, to be viewed only after you’ve skimmed the first page or two of today’s Washington Times scoop about McCain and the surge. Exit question: Can Maverick recover from such a withering assessment by this widely trusted, beloved leader?

Update: On second thought, maybe it is just partisanship. If not, then the falling-out was fairly recent since the two were socializing together as of 2004. Nice catch from a reader:

Two senators who joined Reid for fights with the complimentary tickets took markedly differently steps.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) insisted on paying $1,400 for the tickets he shared with Reid for a 2004 championship fight. Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) accepted free tickets to another fight with Reid but already had recused himself from Reid’s federal boxing legislation because his father was an executive for a Las Vegas hotel that hosts fights.

McCain paid, Reid took the freebie — a nice ethical contrast to cap this story. Here’s a photo of them together at the match. Left side.

Comments

You know Harry, most of America can’t stand your pale, snide a**!

carbon_footprint on August 21, 2008 at 2:02 PM

It really has to work in McCain’s favor that someone like Dingy Harry can’t stand him.

thirteen28 on August 21, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Between this and Kaine’s response to McCain this morning, the Democrats have the “nyah nyah” playground vote all sewn up.

Slublog on August 21, 2008 at 2:05 PM

I bet I can’t stand Harry more than Harry can’t stand John.
L

letget on August 21, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Team McCain needs to thank Dirty Harry for the endorsement.

Think_b4_speaking on August 21, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Who in their right mind gives a hoot about anything Harry Reid says?

fogw on August 21, 2008 at 2:07 PM

McCain getting the crap kicked out of him in the Hanoi Hilton, Reid was shagging drinks for the Gambino crime family in Reno.

So both served their country.

Seriously though, would anyone WANT Harry Reid to like them or to speak highly of them?

I would wear Harry Reid’s dislike as a badge of honor.

NoDonkey on August 21, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I’m waiting for all of the old/senile comments about Reid to be aired by the media. I won’t be holding my breath, though – I don’t have a death wish.

Think_b4_speaking on August 21, 2008 at 2:09 PM

This is the same man who made the very-public statement that the war in Iraq was lost.
We see how that turned out for you Harry.

carbon_footprint on August 21, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Did the press steal little Harry’s diary?

What a teenage girl!

simon on August 21, 2008 at 2:10 PM

This is synonymous to Keith Olbermann naming you The Worst Person in the World!

carbon_footprint on August 21, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Hey RNC,

Investigate Harry “The Body” Reid’s land deals!!!! There has got to be some good material there.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 21, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Team McCain Response:

“We are greatly enthused by our anti-endorsment of a Senator with a single digit approval rating. It means we are doing our jobs.

BKennedy on August 21, 2008 at 2:13 PM

What a lovely and gracious thing to say. It’s comforting to know that the halls of Congress are graced with “representatives” with such gentlemanly instincts.

DrMagnolias on August 21, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Read the whole thing. It’s fantastic. It deserves a post of it’s own, though there’s not a whole lot of comment to be made about it.

BadgerHawk on August 21, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Withering? This is a freakin’ endorsement! Were Reid to say nice things about McCain, it would highlight the fact McCain intends to push through stuff like amnesty by seeking common cause with his Dem pals. This non-endorsement gives McCain cover until after the election. Mark my words that Reid’s tone will change completely if McCain wins in November.

highhopes on August 21, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Oh good. I needed another reason to vote for McCain.

HawaiiLwyr on August 21, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Exit answer: Ol’ dirty harry needs to be ‘south parked’! stat!

locomotivebreath1901 on August 21, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Look at that tough guy face Reid is wearing…tyrants and dictators the world over are cowering in fear.

Bishop on August 21, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Sometimes I think the biggest problem in America is the Right’s agreeing with the Left that it’s only “a difference of opinion”, and therefore denying to state the truth, that liberalism is in fact a mental disorder.

Halley on August 21, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Every time I see him I think about his awkward, uncomfortable moments with Nancy Pelosi in their joint press conferences. Priceless.

Matticus Finch on August 21, 2008 at 2:18 PM

If McCain is elected, the worse relations between him and Reid the better. Might help slow down amnesty and a few other bad ideas.

BuzzCrutcher on August 21, 2008 at 2:19 PM

High praise if you consider the source.

TooTall on August 21, 2008 at 2:20 PM

You know……………. The only thing people think about when Dingy Harry opens that hole in his face is if dust really does come out of his a@@ when he passes gas………..

Seven Percent Solution on August 21, 2008 at 2:20 PM

I’m sure the feeling is mutual you effete little turd.

elduende on August 21, 2008 at 2:20 PM

I’m waiting for McCain to come out with a grin and say the feeling is mutual.

CP on August 21, 2008 at 2:21 PM

“I can’t stand John McCain”

That’s okay. There aren’t too many conservatives who can stand him either.

Gregor on August 21, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Pbbbffft!
Hairy Weed.

whitetop on August 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM

One can judge a man by his enemies.

jukin on August 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM

“There aren’t too many conservatives who can stand him either.”

“Conservative” what, Democrats?

NoDonkey on August 21, 2008 at 2:24 PM

One can judge a man by his enemies.

jukin on August 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Or friends, correct? Which begs the question …

How do we judge McCain and his extremely close friendship with Hitlery and other libs?

Gregor on August 21, 2008 at 2:25 PM

“I can’t stand Harry Reid”

Topsecretk9 on August 21, 2008 at 2:25 PM

In other news, support for Presidential candidate Senator John McCain surged today after Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid distanced himself from the presumptive Republican nominee. In a survey done among newly-decided McCain voters, the overwhelmingly given response as to why they made the switch was “Well, I don’t like that guy.”

emailnuevo on August 21, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Dingy Harry is the biggest piece of human garbage since Jimmy Carter. The talking cadaver is one of the most corrupt politicians of all time. What sane person would care what this loser thinks?

volsense on August 21, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Nothing comes closer to turning me into a serial killer than Harry’s voice.

CurtZHP on August 21, 2008 at 2:27 PM

“Conservative” what, Democrats?

NoDonkey on August 21, 2008 at 2:24 PM

A year ago, John McCain had more liberal supporters than he did conservative supporters. Most of you are doing exactly what the liberals do, which is defend a candidate simply because of the “R” next to his name, which is an illusion in this case.

Half of registered Democrats are probably more conservative than John McCain.

Gregor on August 21, 2008 at 2:30 PM

I would never vote for anyone Harry Reid could stand.

Blake on August 21, 2008 at 2:31 PM

I would bet that Harry has a handshake like a gaseous nebula.

sdd on August 21, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Harry Reid actually makes me miss Tom Dashell.

meci on August 21, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Harry Reid is probably the most useless member of the Senate I have ever seen, and certainly one of the most annoying. I am sure there are more than a few members of his own party who can’t stand HIM!

pilamaye on August 21, 2008 at 2:32 PM

You know what REALLY is a mental disorder.

Brat on August 21, 2008 at 2:32 PM

How many houses does Dingy Harry have?

JammieWearingFool on August 21, 2008 at 2:37 PM

People are known as much by the enemies they make as by the friends they keep.

McCain’s pissin’ in all the right cereal bowls, it seems.

Mew

acat on August 21, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Well, I’m conservative and I support John McCain.

I don’t like people appropriating the moniker “conservative” and applying it only to themselves. You can oppose John McCain if you like, but you don’t own the term.

Most conservatives support John McCain for President, let there be no mistake.

NoDonkey on August 21, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Every time I see that picture of Harry Reid, I want to photoshop a “Little House on the Prairie” hat that the women used to wear. It would soo fit him.

Geronimo on August 21, 2008 at 2:39 PM

the left is such an angry bunch.

swami on August 21, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Was Harry Reid this miserable before his stroke? He personifies negativism.

That sour attitude simply does not personify Americanism.

onlineanalyst on August 21, 2008 at 2:41 PM

I’d support McCain now if only to further vex Dingy Harry. That foetid pool of donkey bile never met a Republican he

could

stand.

My suspicion of where this originated: daily wedgies from the Young Republicans at Searchlight University and Grill.

sulla on August 21, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Well, I’m conservative and I support John McCain.

Most conservatives support John McCain for President, let there be no mistake.

NoDonkey on August 21, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Amen.

carbon_footprint on August 21, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Or friends, correct? Which begs the question …

Gregor on August 21, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Newsflash dude. The primaries are over.

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 21, 2008 at 2:51 PM

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 21, 2008 at 2:51 PM

You did better than I could ever dream of doing.

carbon_footprint on August 21, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Most conservatives support John McCain for President, let there be no mistake.

NoDonkey on August 21, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Time, and the numbers will tell in the end, but I believe you just made that “mistake.”

IF John McCain wins this election, it won’t be because of the conservative vote. It’s going to be due to the number of Hitlery supporters and Independents who can’t stand Obama. I believe the numbers will show in the end that record numbers of conservatives stayed home on election day. But we’ll see.

As for claiming to be a conservative and voting for John McCain, that’s up to you. But it doesn’t mean that John McCain is conservative. Have at it! Blow your gasket and have a good time! Feel proud of yourself for siding with the man with the “R”. Just don’t whine for the next four years as McCain goes about “reaching across the aisle” and does his part in tilting the SCOTUS back to the left.

Take credit for your vote. Defend him as he calls us all bigots for wanting our border secure. Support him as we’re blessed with never ending photo-ops of him standing side-by-side with Hitlery as they work together for our benefit.

I can’t wait.

Oh yeah …

Don’t forget to remind yourself in four years why it is that the GOP has the strange idea that they need to give us moderate to left-leaning candidates in order to win. Hope you don’t expect to ever see another true conservative leading the GOP. “Conservatives” such as yourself have all done a masterful job of “sending a message” to the GOP.

Gregor on August 21, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Being hated by Mr 9% can only help McCain.

lorien1973 on August 21, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Oh good. I needed another reason to vote for McCain.

HawaiiLwyr on August 21, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Seriously. It’d be worth voting for McCain just to see how much more low-class Reid can get once McCain’s in the White House and not returning Reid’s calls or inviting him to any of the hot-ticket W.H. affairs.

AZCoyote on August 21, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Newsflash dude. The primaries are over.

TheUnrepentantGeek on August 21, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Huh? Does that have anything at all to do with his friendship with Hillary and other libs? Anything?

John McCain was a liberal before the primaries, during the primaries, and regardless of what he says now … he’s still a liberal after the primaries.

Oh wait!

Gregor on August 21, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Reid would make a good spokesperson for a laxative company.

GarandFan on August 21, 2008 at 3:05 PM

“Conservatives” such as yourself have all done a masterful job of “sending a message” to the GOP.”

Sorry, I’m not in the business of “sending a message”.

I take my right to vote seriously. I don’t play games with it. I don’t sit at home in a snit. I feel grateful to the brave Americans who gave their lives so I can vote.

I vote for the best candidate in the election. That’s John McCain.

Part of being conservative in my view, is acknowledging the vast limitations of both government and of human nature.

I’m not holding my breath for the perfect candidate.

I have a family and a future to consider, and I fail to see any scenario where the outlook for either will improve with an Obama Presidency, especially with a rubber-stamp Democrat Congress.

NoDonkey on August 21, 2008 at 3:08 PM

Reid would make a good spokesperson for a laxative company.

GarandFan on August 21, 2008 at 3:05 PM

You know, you’re right – I do get a certain urge whenever I see his picture.

Think_b4_speaking on August 21, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Well…well….well,

So Harry “the war is lost” Reid doesn’t like John McCain.

He probably doesn’t like Patton,MacArthur,John Wayne,Ronald Reagan,or Charlton Heston either.

Back stabbing cowards like Reid can’t stand being around people that remind them of much they have failed in life.

This piece of sh!t stabbed our Soldiers in the back that he
voted to send off to war and sold out his country for senate seats and their quest for the White House.

He is in no position to pass out judgment or make any kind of credible character evaluations.

Baxter Greene on August 21, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Outstanding work Mr. Greene, I like your attitude.

NoDonkey on August 21, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Nothing comes closer to turning me into a serial killer than Harry’s voice.
CurtZHP on August 21, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Wouldn’t be “serial killer” if it’s just one person.

(Relax, I’m not advocating anything here, just making a funny.)

wise_man on August 21, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Baxter Greene on August 21, 2008 at 3:13 PM

I’d hate to see you in a bad mood.

wise_man on August 21, 2008 at 3:24 PM

To quote the great Lee Atwater, have Harry Reid say he hates you is like being called ugly by a frog.

rockmom on August 21, 2008 at 3:26 PM

To quote the great Baxter Greene, “Harry can go stick his head right back up micheal moore’s a$$ where the rest of the democratic leadership has been for the last 8 years.”

carbon_footprint on August 21, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Well, it is a very large space, but I doubt the ENTIRE democrat leadership could fit there.

Only the top six or seven.

The rest have to fight for space in some other Moore-y orifice.

NoDonkey on August 21, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Could they find a more bitter, mean spirited, disagreeable person to be the face of their party in the Senate if they tried?

Sefton on August 21, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Yeah, because Reid himself is so darn likeable.

Buy Danish on August 21, 2008 at 3:40 PM

You know every time you call her that you deminish what Hitler did? I know you may think Hilary killed millions and threw the world into a long chaotic war but she really didn’t. Grow up.

Sefton on August 21, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Sefton on August 21, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Seconded. I think that was David Gregory.

carbon_footprint on August 21, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Sefton on August 21, 2008 at 3:50 PM

You might want to “grow up” and realize that Hitler did a lot more than orchestrate the Holocaust. Try doing a little research and look at Hitler’s rise to power, his early political moves, and his political beliefs. They do not defer much from the far-left agenda (that would be Hillary) of today. Many of the initial political moves by the Nazi Party are actually being pushed in our government today. I make no claim that Hillary has, or is going to, murder millions of Jews, but I would say that it’s safe to claim she’ll do anything to gain and hold power. Anything. That includes forcing her way into the VP slot and then hoping or actively moving to have Obama “removed from office” in whatever way it takes.

Just how gullible are we really? A couple of years ago we were calling Hillary extreme left and warning others that she would soon start treading toward the middle in preparation for the election. Now, it’s common to read conservatives, even on this site, attempting to describe her as moderate.

This is understandable when coming from those under 23 or 24 who have absolutely no memory of the Clintons when they were actually in power. If you’re over 24 and think Hillary is anywhere close to being moderate, you’re either living in a cave or willfully ignorant.

Your buddy McCain claims that Hillary is a wonderful and brilliant person, and a “great friend.” Can you think of ANY other conservative who would claim that?

Gregor on August 21, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Maybe it just me, but does Harry Reid look as if he has “Terminal Bad Breath?” Maybe he got it from “sticking his head up Michael Moore’s A$$.”

boxcardriver on August 21, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Dear Dirty Harry:

You’re a worthless piece of human waste. When are you going to quit mooching, get off the public dole, and obtain gainful employment? Moreover, your juvenile comments are above your pay grade. Matter of fact, most Democrats in government are over paid! To make up for entitlements, all RATS should do the right thing, and take a huge pay cut!

byteshredder on August 21, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Well, I’m conservative and I support John McCain.

Most conservatives support John McCain for President, let there be no mistake.

NoDonkey on August 21, 2008 at 2:38 PM

davidk on August 21, 2008 at 6:52 PM

byteshredder:

Boy do I agree! He is a disgrace to his state, his church, and the United States of America!

Bambi on August 21, 2008 at 8:43 PM

I bet Mccain’s not losing any sleep over the fact that this corrupt, little ass wipe doesn’t like him matter of fact its’ kind of a badge of honor to be disliked by this twirp! Don’t him and peanut farmer have a freeway to play on or something? Sorry the twirp reminds me of Jimmy the worst pres evah peanut fahmah.

dhunter on August 21, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Most conservatives support John McCain for President, let there be no mistake.

NoDonkey on August 21, 2008 at 2:38 PM

You’re full of cr*p. A conservative that isn’t on his knees with the rest of the repubicans being thankful for being allowed to express their support for McCain is TOLERATING John McCain because there is no one else or is not voting for him. If you’re happy with McCain, you are no conservative. But don’t despair, I have a song for you Donkey. Rather than try to express your mangled version of conservatism, just sing this little song:

First, you need the beat. An oldie but a goodie from the movie Popeye with Robin Williams.

href=”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz884EUAqi4″>

And the improved lyrics:

John McCain is good good good
John McCain is so darn good
John McCain is gooooood.
John McCain is good.

Amnesty is good good good.
Amnesty is so darn good.
Amnesty is gooooood.
Amnesty is good.

Cap and trade is good good good.
Cap and trade is so darn good.

And so on. Still want to lecture us on what it means to be conservative and support John McCain? Maybe just sing the first stanza and try not to embarass yourself with the wrongheaded meanderings on what conservatives feel about John McCain; because you don’t have a clue.

austinnelly on August 21, 2008 at 11:56 PM