Team McCain conference call: Rudy on Obama aide’s Syrian adventure

posted at 3:20 pm on August 20, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Rudy Giuliani headed today’s Team McCain conference call, discussing the trip taken by Barack Obama adviser David Kurtzer to Syria in July.  Giuliani, the recent selection for the GOP convention’s keynote speaker, took the opportunity to reassert himself on national security and foreign policy.  Michael Goldfarb and Randy Scheuneman also took part in the call.

Mayor Giuliani told the conference that the fact that the trip was not disclosed at the time shows Obama’s inexperience and irresponsibility on foreign policy.  Giuliani pointed out that Obama included Assad on his list of world leaders he would meet without preconditions.  He says Kurtzer advised the Assad regime on how to handle the Bush administration, and Obama should have disclosed this at the time.

“The American people are entitled to a president who knows how to conduct foreign policy,” Giuliani said, “which includes having passed Diplomacy 101.”  Giuliani also pointed out that another Obama adviser had met repeatedly with Hamas, and also hadn’t disclosed it.  How many more of these meetings have taken place, and how many more will Obama’s team undertake before the election?

Scheuneman clarified that the Eli Lake article reported that the meeting took place with the Syrian foreign minister, and underwritten in part by Syrian corporations.  This comes at a time when Syria sponsors terrorist organizations, stands accused of several assassinations in Lebanon, and refuse to cooperate with the IAEA.  Why would anyone go to a conference on the rule of law in a nation with this track record?

Questions:

• On lobbying: There’s a big difference between being a declared lobbyist and going on covert meetings with hostile regimes.
  • NBC: How would the party respond to a pro-choice VP selection? — All choices have pros and cons.  The GOP isn’t, in Giuliani’s estimation, a one-issue party.  He thinks that the importance of the election will generate full support for John McCain.  He wanted to ensure he could pick a running mate that would allow him to sleep at night, and he knows McCain will take this selection seriously.
  • Is lobbying that big of a problem? — There’s nothing inherently wrong with lobbying or employing former lobbyists as long as everything is disclosed.  The worst cases, though, have been pretty bad — which is why there is such understandable sensitivity.

Comments

“He says Kurtzer advised the Assad regime on how to handle the Bush administration, and Obama should have disclosed this at the time.”

Are you freaking kidding me?

Obama advisors lobbying for SYRIA?

And that’s being kind!

drjohn on August 20, 2008 at 3:26 PM

My wallet is missing.

mylegsareswollen on August 20, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Now I remember why I was a full blown RUDY SUPPORTER.

Love ya Rudy…

jake-the-goose on August 20, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Bringing change and hope to the entire world. Only Super Messiah™ could do it.

Bishop on August 20, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Bring it, Rudy.

Rudy would be a great VP.

funky chicken on August 20, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Lobbying is using money for a specific purpose on which the lawmaker can puch forward that purpose.

A traitor is one who goes to other countires and makes promises that have nothing of the Nation’s interest at hand.

Obama proves it again and this time with his lawyer hiding under a “convention”.

upinak on August 20, 2008 at 3:34 PM

But Obama took Hopium 200 that semester.

wildweasel on August 20, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Borders on treason, but well within the bounds of utter stupidity.

Star20 on August 20, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Is there something we can reference as a citation for this?

This burns me up.

drjohn on August 20, 2008 at 3:42 PM

This story wont see the pages or tv screens of the MSM so the “Folks” will never know.

What a shame.

Swinehound on August 20, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Just another violation of the never prosecuted Logan Act. Move along nothing to see here.

meci on August 20, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I was on that call, and I have to say this was one of the more overblown things ever. I love hearing from Rudy, but this was an adviser who went on a trip independently (with the knowledge of the campaign, but not representing them) and made a side trip to talk to some officials. The attempt to build a mountain out of that molehill made Rudy look like he was really struggling.

Jazz Shaw on August 20, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Told ya Rudy is my favorite and always has been..

I’m 100% Pro-life, and i’m even a “weird one” :) on evolution(though i don;t want to get into a debate about it, it’s a a belief not a reason for flames) and everything you see me write will reflect that.. however we elect Leaders and Rudy is a Leader. He doesn’t agree with me on those however he is NOT in conflict with me either(He has lowered abortion in NY City and increased Adoptions, and also lowered the Murder and Crime Rate and also reformed welfare and instituted a Workfare program.. THAT in and of itself IS PRO-LIFE and saved lives)

Chakra Hammer on August 20, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Chakra Hammer on August 20, 2008 at 4:14 PM

I’m with ya. I’ll take Rudy’s pro-choice record of reducing the abortion rate over that line of bull in the Dem platform.

Kafir on August 20, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Kafir on August 20, 2008 at 4:21 PM

He also advises against abortions in favor of adoptions.

Chakra Hammer on August 20, 2008 at 4:23 PM

I voted for Rudy in the primary election. He’s got guts and proven executive ability, but his cancer and all that Personal Baggage will almost certainly keep him off the ticket

I wish him well, and good health–and wish that President MeCain make him Attorney General of the United States of America

Janos Hunyadi on August 20, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Janos Hunyadi on August 20, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Cancer and personal baggage didn’t keep McCain off the ticket.

Big S on August 20, 2008 at 4:54 PM

I am truly pro life, but I think I might vote for Rudy. I voted for him in the Primary, and would probably do so again.

TimothyJ on August 20, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Sweetheart, this adviser didn’t go to England to hang out with Tony Blair. He went to fricking Syria, a terrorist supporting nation and met with Bashir Assad. He discussed how the diplomacy between the US and Syria should and will go under the Obama administration (heaven forbid).

He visited a country that:
1. Supports Hezb’allah.
2. Built a nuclear facility (too bad the IAF is around)
3. Is a proxy of Iran
4. Celebrates terrorist attacks and dead Jews
5. Massacres its own people on a pretty regular basis

Yeah, tell me how that “ain’t so bad” again.

mjk on August 20, 2008 at 5:46 PM

It’s a fact that liberals abort far more of their children than conservative mothers do. Has anyone considered how many more liberals there would be today if they were not aborted by their liberal mothers? Seems like a cold thought, but is it a valid pro-choice argument?

Just asking…

leftnomore on August 20, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Here is the audio of the conference call which,of course, includes Ed. How do I get inivited to those calls? :)

Nelsa on August 20, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Um, Ed, it’s DANIEL Kurtzer.

Debbie Schlussel on August 21, 2008 at 8:51 AM