Heart-ache: Obama advisors converging on Saturday for “major event” in … Indiana; Update: A hint from Bayh’s wife? Update: Not true, says Obama aide

posted at 2:04 pm on August 20, 2008 by Allahpundit

Rush’s dreams? Dashed. Blogger’s heart? Broken. Pawlenty’s and Romney’s prospects? Brighter, since a bland choice on one side makes a bland choice on the other safer.

Bayh Bayh, Biden?

NashvillePost.com has learned that senior campaign officials from the Barack Obama Presidential campaign are being dispatched from various locations around the country and are converging in Indianapolis for a “major event” to take place on Saturday.

Saturday is the same day that Obama is expected to make his first public appearance with his yet to be announced vice presidential running mate. Indiana is the home state of Democratic Senator Evan Bayh, widely considered to be on the short list of Democratic vice presidential contenders.

Obama’s advance people have supposedly been pulled out of Denver to handle this, too. The nutroots threw a tantrum last week over Bayh being on the shortlist, with lefty blogger Steve Clemons claiming a few days ago that he’d been summarily dropped by the campaign in response. It’s worth hoping this rumor’s true just to hear them squeal. But even so — think of what we’ve lost. Exit quotation: “I had a successful dump.”

Update: Bayh’s wife is reportedly telling neighbors the media is about to descend on their home in D.C.

Update: For what it’s worth, Team Barry claims this report is bogus.

Comments

Exit quotation: “I had a successful dump.”

Good AP! A little bit TMI but good for you.

carbon_footprint on August 20, 2008 at 2:09 PM

And after Biden complimented him by calling him articulate…

Poor guy just can’t catch a break.

(I did see him at an Italian restaurant in Dubuque in.. December? My brush with fame! Or infamy! I’m just glad I didn’t say hi. Biden would have talked my ear off.)

Nethicus on August 20, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Bayh is the strategically right choice to make. His DLC roots brings centrism and he is from the Mid-west. He doesn’t upstage Obama by name and has plenty of experience. The only drawback from Bayh is the Kos kids will be upset (i.e. by Bayh’s stance towards Iran), yet Obama doesn’t really need them anyways. He might see a little dent in contributions from them, yet probably a little boost among HRC supporters.

McCain should pick Palin or Pawlenty to counter.

DanStark on August 20, 2008 at 2:10 PM

You know, I kinda hope he does pick Biden. If that ticket were to win, at least we’d have some entertainment.

Big S on August 20, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Hmm. That “Judgment to Lead” sign in the photo looks new. I wonder if that’s in response to McCains: “Obama – not ready to lead” theme.

wise_man on August 20, 2008 at 2:12 PM

“Bayh Bayh, Biden?”

Very clever!

JeffreyLloyd on August 20, 2008 at 2:13 PM

This will definitely help Obama carry Gary.

NoDonkey on August 20, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Big S on August 20, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Well, I hope the whitehouse plumbing is up to the task.

wise_man on August 20, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Attempting to turn a red state, blue?

NeighborhoodCatLady on August 20, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Exit quotation: “I had a successful dump.”

Eh, I can’t pick on Biden for that. You figure if he hasn’t been picked, all the press frenzy is probably going to get to him. Getting harangued at your house when you’re trying to do lawn work would be annoying.

Outlander on August 20, 2008 at 2:16 PM

I’m not entirely convinced, though this is a step closer to Bayh. Obama kicked-off his campaign in Virginia. He tends to kick-off major events in states he feels he can win, regardless.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is Bayh, though.

amerpundit on August 20, 2008 at 2:17 PM

NeighborhoodCatLady on August 20, 2008 at 2:15 PM

I doubt it’s Bayh. Remember, McCain is announcing his VP in Ohio (my state!) and there are no Ohioans on his short list. Obama may be announcing in Indiana simply because it’s a battleground midwestern state just like Ohio.

Outlander on August 20, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Obama Plans Trip To Bayh’s Indiana On Saturday

CBS News previously reported that Obama plans a major rally with his newly announced running mate in Springfield, Illinois, on Saturday at the site where Obama launched his presidential campaign.

As a cautionary note, Obama’s schedule has been filled with tantalizing clues to his VP selection this week. He’s visited states like New Mexico (Gov. Bill Richardson) and will be in Virginia tomorrow (Gov. Tim Kaine), and Indiana remains a potential swing state regardless of who is selected.

It might be another in a series of head fakes.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 20, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Hmm. That “Judgment to Lead” sign in the photo looks new.

Didn’t you hear? Obama’s got two new posters out.

Nethicus on August 20, 2008 at 2:19 PM

I like Bayh more than I like Obama. But then I liked Cheney more than Bush.

DrSteve on August 20, 2008 at 2:19 PM

zzzzzzzz….zzzzzzzz

My collie says:

Wake up CC. Obama chose Bayh for his VP.

**snort** **yawn** You woke me up for THAT?

My collie says:

Indiana hasn’t been this excited since…Dan Quayle.

Yeah. Maybe it oughta’ be a rule, or somethin’. ALL VPs must come from Indiana. That way, we wouldn’t even have to talk it about it anymore. zzzzzzzz

CyberCipher on August 20, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Obama, Bye ’08.

Kafir on August 20, 2008 at 2:19 PM

so, Bayh is willing to spend the next 2.5 months of his life answering questions about infantacide and William Ayers and our “unproven” missile defense systems? His choice, I suppose.

funky chicken on August 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Now, it’s showing up on the websites of the local Indy TV stations. No details, though.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM

I would really enjoy voting against Biden.
(youtube debate gun Q)

Red State Update

mad saint jack on August 20, 2008 at 2:21 PM

I’ve been pretty sure of Bayh as Obama’s VP pick for some time now. When you’re running primarily on a cult of personality, you want your VP to fade into the background while seeming solid enough on closer inspection. His job is simply to be inoffensive and smile a lot. I also figured Obama would choose a white male so as not to overload the minority-ness of the ticket. Bland is exactly right for Obama.

My other hunch was Wesley Clark, for the military background. But Clark is too embarrassing too often.

McCain should not go with bland in response, though. He should shake things up with his choice. But I bet he won’t. I bet he’ll go with safe and boring, too.

aero on August 20, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Note to self: Stay out of downtown on Saturday.

They had better not go to Lucas Oil Stadium. The Colts have not even played in there yet. The place would be cursed forevah!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 20, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Oy!

It’s going to be Mocha Latte meets Vanilla Soy.

/sarc

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 20, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Judgment: Caution Lead Poisoning!

Obama’s sinking like a lead balloon.

maverick muse on August 20, 2008 at 2:26 PM

I heard a local TV newsreader pronounce his name like “Bay.”

Obama/Bay
Sounds like pig latin.

Brat on August 20, 2008 at 2:26 PM

Bayh must have the fewest skeletons in his closet.

darwin on August 20, 2008 at 2:27 PM

More like Bayh Bayh, Obama.

JammieWearingFool on August 20, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Attempting to turn a red state, blue?

NeighborhoodCatLady on August 20, 2008 at 2:15 PM

That may be the thinking, but I think they’re actually guaranteeing VA stays red with the pick, and IN will stay red anyway.

Now if McCain picks Kasich and they hit the tailgate parties at Steelers, Bengals and Browns games in the Straight Talk bus serving plenty of kielbasa and pierogies, then it will be all over except for the crying. Does Kasich still have family in his hometown across the river from Heinz Field?

forest on August 20, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Bayh was standing right next to John McCaina and George W. Bush about the war in Iraq. This video should come back to haunt Obama and Bayh, if he is indeed the choice!

JeffreyLloyd on August 20, 2008 at 2:36 PM

I am not Bayhing it.

Yet

EJDolbow on August 20, 2008 at 2:40 PM

I will admit, there are only a handful of democrats that I respect and Evan Bayh is one of those.
Not as good as a pick as Hillary would be but better than Plugs Biden.

carbon_footprint on August 20, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Just because I’m such a nice gal, here’s a little research for Evan and Susan. Y’all may want to study up before Saturday.

Unvetted, “unproven,” immature. There is still time for you guys to remember a prior committment.

funky chicken on August 20, 2008 at 2:43 PM

funky chicken on August 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM

From whom? Not the MSM, surely you jest.

fossten on August 20, 2008 at 2:43 PM

The poo-flingers in Denver won’t take this calmly.

innominatus on August 20, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Obama – Bye Bye!

I’m listening to “Mansions Of The Lord” on my IPOD by the US Military Academy. I can’t see Obama as Commander In Chief under ANY Circumstances….

sabbott on August 20, 2008 at 2:45 PM

@ JeffreyLloyd on August 20, 2008 at 2:36 PM

THAT is the reason that the Kos kids dont like Bayh, not his position on Iran.

muyoso on August 20, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Well, Tim Kaine would be a bad choice for Obie.

Say Obama/Kaine three times, fast.

Name recognition will probably account for 1/3 of the voting electorate.

fossten on August 20, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Evan Bayh? Seriously? How bland can you get? What, exactly, has Bayh done? Sebellius is a woman, Hillary would perhaps heal the party (I kid, I kid), Biden is allegedly good for foreign policy–but Bayh?

Isn’t this about the same as running just Obama himself with no one else? We only need The One, right?

Vanceone on August 20, 2008 at 2:49 PM

OK, it’s Bayh.

bnelson44 on August 20, 2008 at 3:00 PM

So are we going to be hearing “obama bye”?

I find that oddly appropriate.

Jason Coleman on August 20, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Evan Bayh? Seriously? How bland can you get? What, exactly, has Bayh done?

Vanceone on August 20, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Nothing, so he doesn’t distract from Obama. Except he is more moderate than Obama.

bnelson44 on August 20, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Bayh, Bayh, Obama.

Connie on August 20, 2008 at 3:06 PM

100% voting record with NARAL

Bayh has voted against confirming United States Attorney General John Ashcroft, Secretary of the Interior Gale Norton, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito.

Bayh was an early supporter of the Bush administration’s policies on Iraq. On October 2, 2002, Bayh joined President George W. Bush and Congressional leaders in a Rose Garden ceremony announcing their agreement on the joint resolution authorizing the Iraq War, and was thanked by Bush and Senator John McCain for co-sponsoring the resolution.

Senator Bayh began asking for Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld’s resignation in 2004 for his mistakes in the Iraq war. Bayh made it clear that he had lost confidence in Rumsfeld.

He voted yes on reauthorizing the Patriot Act in 2006.

I don’t know how Team Barry can spin Bayh’s positions. He could mimick The One and flipflop on everything. I’m starting to think Bayh is head fake.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 20, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Vanceone on August 20, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Yes, I think that’s the idea.

aero on August 20, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Wow! A two for one Empty Suit sale.

roux on August 20, 2008 at 3:11 PM

The only reason to appoint Bayh is Indiana’s electoral votes, and Obama has no hope of carrying Indiana, even with Bayh on the ticket.

rightwingprof on August 20, 2008 at 3:12 PM

This will go over so well with the moveon/kos/huffpo mob.

Akzed on August 20, 2008 at 3:13 PM

“Susan Bayh warned neighbors about “media pack” (and she just got her hair done). (ABC News)”

ROTFLMAO!

I love this sh*t.

mylegsareswollen on August 20, 2008 at 3:13 PM

It doesn’t matter who he picks

Obama’s gonna lose. I was making that prediction for two months, back when the Messiah had a B.S. lead in crap-pools of 12-15 %. I’ll say it right through Election Day: Mc Cain wins

57-43

The only suspense is what happens in the Senate and House races. Right now I’d say the Repubs only lose a seat or two in both, and that may change to a draw or the Undeserving Repubs actually picking up seats.

check with me in a month or so on that, but the Prez race is already over. Watch the Fury unfold when Bama-mama gets behind the the polls. It will be Ugly, but sweeeeeeeet

Janos Hunyadi on August 20, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Obama is for increasing BIG WASTEFUL GOVERNMENT and will just be a RUBBER STAMP for the Democrats Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid that control the Senate and House of Representatives.

Chakra Hammer on August 20, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Maybe Biden got Bayh-passed. If Bayh is so bland, it’s time for a lulla-Bayh.

Obama/Kaine doesn’t sound very good either. It sounds like something used to numb the mouth, which might be good for Obama.

Steve Z on August 20, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Does Obama have any choices who didn’t back Bush strongly over Iraq?

Rbastid on August 20, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Hair Club for Metrosexuals.

epluribusunum on August 20, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Does Obama have any choices who didn’t back Bush strongly over Iraq?
Rbastid on August 20, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Most every democrat (especially the ones in high office that attended CIA/Military briefings about Saddam) supported regime change. Except after Bush actually did something about it in 2003, they all had to refine their positions, after the fact. Obama and some of the other genuine nutcases like Kicinnich and the like are certainly in the ‘didn’t back Bush on Saddam’ camp.

wise_man on August 20, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Update: For what it’s worth, Team Barry claims this report is bogus.

Whatever. It’s Bayh. And if it’s not, who cares – it’s Obama and someone bland.

aero on August 20, 2008 at 4:03 PM

sabbott on August 20, 2008 at 2:45 PM

I find more riddles wrapped in enigmas here…

“Since a strong seal is needed to trap propellant gasses behind the projectile, and keep the projectile centered in the barrel, something is needed to fill the gap between projectile and barrel, which is the role of the sab[b]ot[t].

Firing a small size projectile wrapped in a sabot raises the muzzle velocity of the projectile.

An instructor of cadets perhaps…?

J_Gocht on August 20, 2008 at 6:01 PM

What if someone hacks into Team ‘O’s computers and sends out their choice for VP and not Obama’s?

meci on August 20, 2008 at 6:20 PM

It’s Bayh, people. He’s the only one who’s suit is more empty than Obama. Don’t doubt it for a moment, its him.

AbaddonsReign on August 20, 2008 at 7:41 PM