Enquirer: Meet Rielle Hunter’s baby

posted at 10:11 am on August 20, 2008 by Allahpundit

Her sister said it looks like Edwards. Judge for yourself. It does look like the baby in the earlier blurry photo they published (note the hair), but since I think Edwards was photoshopped into that one, there’s no reason to believe the baby wasn’t photoshopped too.

Also at the link, shocking! new! details! about Hunter’s $50,000 flight on a private jet to the Virgin Islands the day before Edwards’s ABC interview. Her alleged destination: The home of Lee Rohn, another trial lawyer who happens to be a friend of Silky’s. There sure are a lot of pals in his orbit willing to do extremely extravagant favors for a woman he had only a brief dalliance with two years ago, aren’t there? You’d think people like Rohn and Fred Baron would cut her off at this point lest their largesse appear any more suspiciously coordinated and incriminating for Edwards. But no, the favors keep flowing unbidden, even now that the story’s broken wide open and each new favor they do only draws closer media scrutiny upon themselves. Has anyone ever had friends as “generous” as John Edwards’s?

THE ENQUIRER tracked Rielle to St. Croix where our reporters discovered Rielle and the baby stayed in a luxurious oceanfront home owned by controversial trial lawyer Lee Rohn, another close friend of Edwards.

When visited by an ENQUIRER reporter on August 15, Rohn snapped a terse “No comment!” when questioned about Hunter.

Former Virgin Island Senator Anne Golden confirmed to THE ENQUIRER that “within 24 hours of their arrival that they were here and staying with Lee Rohn.”…

Edwards is not only aware of the hush money payoffs but orchestrated it with his team of former campaign advisors and now The ENQUIRER has discovered that a team of six more lawyers have been involved in the coverup and are funneling payments to Hunter, who has no money and no means of support.

How likely is it really that different lawyers are coordinating here? In light of that NYT report from last week, reasonably likely. Exit question: That sure is a honey of a photo the Enquirer landed for its cover, isn’t it? Perfectly posed, sharp despite the huge size — what a stroke of luck. Say, I wonder who tipped them off to the details of Hunter’s “vacation”?

Comments

Has nayone seen my keys? I’m late for work.

mylegsareswollen on August 20, 2008 at 10:18 AM

If I knew how to Photoshop I would put Kerry’s lucky hat on that baby.

bbz123 on August 20, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Oh what a tangled web we weave….

Pam on August 20, 2008 at 10:19 AM

What money laundering?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 20, 2008 at 10:21 AM

hmm, was Hunter their source? If not her, whoever is behind that camera in that pick?

jp on August 20, 2008 at 10:22 AM

1. All babies look like babies -I dont see a resemblance to anyone in that photo
2. AREN’T LAWYERS NICE??? (I’ve been trying to tell ya)

HEH

HawaiiLwyr on August 20, 2008 at 10:23 AM

I wonder how many lawyers are wondering what the hell they’ve gotten themselves into?

Sue on August 20, 2008 at 10:24 AM

All babies look like babies -I dont see a resemblance to anyone in that photo

That’s exactly what I thought. Looks like a baby – a cute one, too.

Slublog on August 20, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Oh what a tangled web we weave….

Pam on August 20, 2008 at 10:19 AM

When we carelessly conceive.

EJDolbow on August 20, 2008 at 10:25 AM

So she won’t have a paternity test because she wants to protect her daughter’s privacy. Nice job you’re doing there, chickadee.

KelliD on August 20, 2008 at 10:26 AM

I don’t think the photo of the Edwards-looking guy with the baby in front of the hotel curtains was photoshopped. It may not have been taken on the same night Enquirer reporters confronted Edwards, forcing him to run and hide in the mens’ room, but I don’t see any good reason why they’d risk compromising their genuine scoop with a fake.

Somebody got a camera into the room during one of Edwards’ hotel visits to Hunter and somebody got that super shot for this week’s cover. Coincidence?

Gilda on August 20, 2008 at 10:27 AM

That quote on the cover about being together after “Elizabeth is gone…” might just be enough to get Liz Edwards to stop covering for her scummy husband.

EJDolbow on August 20, 2008 at 10:27 AM

I just hope that all this attention to the child doesn’t teach all future John Edwardses (always will be more) that abortion is the only way out. Edwards cheating on an ill wife is bad enough. The Enquirer, teaching America that your worst nightmare will happen if you don’t abort is worse.

RBMN on August 20, 2008 at 10:28 AM

If it is Hunter herself, she is applying leverage brilliantly. If her sister, one would think the fixers would have shut her out of the loop by now. If the maid or houseboy, I hope NE is creating a nice 401k for them. I love watching a bunch of trial lawyers get jerked around.

a capella on August 20, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Perhaps Eddy should bring the baby with him to the DFL convention, elicit the sympathy of the crowd with a cute little bundle.

He is going to the convention, right?

Bishop on August 20, 2008 at 10:30 AM

…but since I think Edwards was photoshopped into that one, there’s no reason to believe the baby wasn’t photoshopped too.

Well, no, there isn’t.

Not, that is, unless you’ve actually used Photoshop and know its capabilities. Which do not include altering light and shadow or rotating images. In order for the baby to have been “Photoshopped” into that image, you’d have to have an image of the baby and an image of Edwards both with just the right light and in just the right angles and poses to fit together.

No way.

While it’s possible–but I say damned unlikely–that Edwards and the kid were flown into–as it’s called in the trade–the hotel room, there’s absolutely no doubt that’s Edwards holding the kid.

Typhoon on August 20, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Lets face it, if it wasn’t Edwards baby, he would have already taken a paternity test. The slime bag is guilty.

How so many Americans supported this ass clown for president or vice president is a testiment to how stupid the American Electorate has become.

Just wait until McCain grants amnesty. Then the real stupidity in the electorate will be on display. Who knows, we might get Juan Hernandez for commander and chief after that. Then the libs would be happy once the US sinks to depraved third world status.

Talk about self destruction. Amnesty is the path to catastrophy, and our 2 sorry $h1thead candidates don’t care so long as they get elected.

I agree with Joe Farah’s book “None of the Above”

saiga on August 20, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Gilda on August 20, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Spy Camera by whoever the source is?

jp on August 20, 2008 at 10:32 AM

It was interesting when this story was breaking how many cheated upon wives were posting in message boards it was RIELLE who was snapping the leaked Enquirer pictures and their secret-source from the beginning. They were so right. Couldn’t happen to a sweeter fella. If ahead of time I could have fingered any politician in DC for an embarrassing and humiliating downfall it would have been Silky. Forgive me, Lord. (not you Obama, I mean the other one)

Marcus on August 20, 2008 at 10:33 AM

The baby looks like him. And the photo could be one of many she has sent to family and friends who sold it to the NE.

Blake on August 20, 2008 at 10:36 AM

That is a very preety baby. Honestly. Very cute.

Winebabe on August 20, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Big time successful trial lawyers have egos as wide as the Pacific, so it’s really not a big surprise they’re still helping Edwards with his cover-up. They made millions over the years snookering juries into multi-million dollar paydays, so they think they can fool the public on this, and like Edwards, they think by doing so, they preserve John’s viability as a future national political leader in the Democratic Party, if not a future president.

They might never see the big payoff that a President Edwards would have tried to deliver to the nation’s trial lawyers, but they still think he can be a rainmaker for their cause if he can regain his national platform (which ironically, is why they now no doubt look to Newt Gingrich as a source of guidance in a similar, if not exactly the same, situation).

jon1979 on August 20, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Virgin Island attorney “Lee Rohn” is a woman, BTW. Tell me again Elizabeth isn’t in this attempted cover- up to her eyeballs.

Marcus on August 20, 2008 at 10:45 AM

If I knew how to Photoshop I would put Kerry’s lucky hat on that baby.

bbz123 on August 20, 2008 at 10:18 AM

resqgal on August 20, 2008 at 10:48 AM

saiga on August 20, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Nice segue. From Edwards’s and trial lawyer’s coverup of infidelity to an antiMcCain rant about amnesty, using American’s stupidity as cover. Well done!

a capella on August 20, 2008 at 10:49 AM

I’m afraid that saying that any baby looks like someone requires more imagination than I have.

TooTall on August 20, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Typhoon on August 20, 2008 at 10:31 AM

I’d have to disagree with that. I’m not the best photo editor in the world, but even I surprise myself once in a while with what I can do with a picture. altering lighting can be pretty easy if you know how.

resqgal on August 20, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Too bad Edwards didn’t follow the advice of Cindy Sheehan and “pulllllllllllll outttttttttttttttttttttt”.

GarandFan on August 20, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Poor kid.

doufree on August 20, 2008 at 11:04 AM

resqgal on August 20, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Well I’m not going to get into a pointless argument with you, but…there’s no way the kid was Photoshopped into Edwards’ arms. And I promise you I speak with more than just a little authority on the subject of digital imaging.

Typhoon on August 20, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Nice to see that Silky’s wealthy trial-lawyer supporters are lavishing their largesse on this useless and counterproductive cover-up.

They have spent and spent for Silky, salivating at the potential pay-off if he was elected. Now they are throwing bad money after good bad.

Gratifying, to say the least.

I wonder how long it will take for these enablers to tire of funding the “life of Reille” for Ms. Hunter?

hillbillyjim on August 20, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Just … wow.

Jaibones on August 20, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Coverups involving legal teams are rarely successful. It appears as if Edwards is dragging his entire rolodex into this mess.

highhopes on August 20, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Typhoon on August 20, 2008 at 10:31 AM

This is true but only as far as working with actual photographs goes. Hand editing – “digital painting” – could have produced the blurry low-res Edwards/baby image. It wouldn’t be trivial but given enough time I could produce such an image myself. Additional source photos, even if improperly lit or angled, would make it easier.

If it is a fake though I would lean more towards a staged shot with lookalikes. Although that would involve more people in the “conspiracy” it would be a lot less likely to be exposed by close examination of the image.

To me the issue isn’t a technological one, it’s a behavioral one. The photo furthered the Enquirer’s story but its lack wouldn’t have killed it. So I doubt they’d take the risk – they really didn’t have to.

Gilda on August 20, 2008 at 11:17 AM

There is no reason for the National Enquirer to Photoshop anything. Of course it’s a genuine photo.

Allah, you underestimate the serious commitment of the NE to this case.

DianaM on August 20, 2008 at 11:26 AM

I wonder if the Edward kids have been shipped out of the country via private jet, to keep them from seeing headlines like: John said we would be together once Elizabeth is gone.

Look what you are putting your family through, Lawboy.

Blake on August 20, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Edwards is a despicable scum bag, and how anyone could have considered him for the presidency is beyond my ability to comprehend.

rplat on August 20, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Damn it all to hell, apparently National Enquirer blocks me from viewing their site, since I’m browsing from Norway…? I get a “Page not found” error when I go to their site, always have. What gives?

Seixon on August 20, 2008 at 11:45 AM

*Yawn*

I want to know more about Morgan Freeman’s affair!

kiakjones on August 20, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Did Edwards mention lately that his wife has cancer…

sabbott on August 20, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Maybe Rielle is with Rev Wright.

Where are you Jeremiah? Can there be any doubts now that that the Wright speech at the Press Club was OKd by Obama?

faraway on August 20, 2008 at 12:11 PM

As certifiable photoshop and camera geek, I gotta agree with Typhoon – I don’t find any of the telltale signs that this image was chopped. As invested as the NE is in this thing, I don’t think they blow it now with fake photos.

Fishoutofwater on August 20, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Maybe so, Gilda.

*Chuckling*

But I could spot it if you did.

Typhoon on August 20, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Blake on August 20, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Did you catch the second headline down about Edwards urging her not to get an abortion? I wonder if McCain knows that there is an experienced VP candidate out there who is pro-life! They’ve both cheated on their spouses. They both are liberals on the social issues. Dare I say it?

McCain/Edwards ’08!!!!!!

highhopes on August 20, 2008 at 12:18 PM

All babies look like babies -I dont see a resemblance to anyone in that photo

Not true! The all look like Dwight Eisenhower.

jl on August 20, 2008 at 12:24 PM

I can’t wait for the TV special: “More on Edwards!”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on August 20, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Rielle told her friend that she was hired to shoot behind-the-scenes video for the Presidential campaign because Edwards wanted them to be together.

“A friend kidded her she was actually shooting ‘between-the-sheets’ videos!”

Ew.

Just. Ew.

The list of things I never want to see just incremented up by one.

Wind Rider on August 20, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Every time I start to think that this has gone on too long and should just stop, I think about how the press would handle it if a recent Republican candidate for President was caught in the same sort of cover up.

Then I say…let it ride. At the very least it once again points out the hypocrisy in the MSM.

Asher on August 20, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Considering the damage this is doing to Edwards, Hunter and Young would be rushing to do a DNA test if Edwards weren’t the father. Their loyalty wouldn’t allow them to hurt their buddy by holding out.

If the photos weren’t real, Edwards would have explicitly said they weren’t rather than using weasel-words when he was asked.

obladioblada on August 20, 2008 at 2:51 PM

I’m thinking Mommy Rielle has been busy setting up some insurance for herself and baby. Wonder how that photo in the hotel was taken? Wonder how The Enquirer knew Edwards would be there?
I’d say she has been at the center of this from the beginning. It’s time for Edwards to re-distribute some of his wealth to help the needy. Isn’t that what he wanted everyone else to do?

stacman on August 20, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Her sister said it looks like Edwards. Judge for yourself.

I can’t tell about the baby’s face. But her hair cut wasn’t a penny over $100, so maybe she isn’t Edwards kid after all.

Mallard T. Drake on August 20, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Say, I wonder who tipped them off to the details of Hunter’s “vacation”?

The pilot could be a conservative in liberal clothing.

Entelechy on August 20, 2008 at 7:59 PM