Hey, who’s up for another dopey VP speculation post? Update: Obama refers to VP as “he”

posted at 8:19 pm on August 19, 2008 by Allahpundit

No one knows anything, but let’s not let that stop us. Tidbits? Rob Portman will attend the McCain VP unveiling on the 29th, but that was to be expected given his regular presence at Ohio campaign events. Joe Biden will remain a VP contender according to an unnamed confidant notwithstanding his pat “I’m not the guy” reply to reporters this afternoon. (Isn’t that answer less pat now that we know Obama’s decided on a candidate, though?) And Byron York will freak you out with his new post at the Corner claiming that the pro-choice VP buzz is not in fact a head fake by McCain and that stern warnings from the likes of Rush Limbaugh won’t deter a guy who won the nomination despite talk radio having had the knives out for him since January. Read all of that one, as it has interesting speculation on how Obama’s choice might affect McCain’s, e.g., bland Bayh makes bland Pawlenty more feasible.

Finally, Ralph Nader goes there:

The smart pick, according to Nader, is Hillary Rodham Clinton. Nader phoned into Politico Tuesday afternoon to offer his prediction that a surprise nod to Clinton is actually what Obama has in mind—never mind the talk of mistrust between the Clintons and Obama…

According to Nader’s logic, Obama may dislike Hillary, but will conclude he has no choice but to get over it if he hopes to leave next week’s convention in Denver with a unified party and a decent shot against John McCain in the fall: “The polls show 25 percent of her supporters have not gotten on board.”…

Nader said his own sources—and, to be blunt, they sound a bit sketchy—lead him to believe that Clinton remains in serious consideration. A friend, he said, recently saw Clinton family intimate Vernon Jordan on Martha’s Vineyard and reported the “usually very effusive” Jordan to be suspiciously “tight-lipped.”

If Hillary’s the pick, why is he rolling her out at an event in Springfield days before the convention starts hopping? The logical thing would be to wait and introduce her to the sea of adoring PUMAs in the audience in Denver to maximize the ecstasy. Doing it early makes the convention seem almost anticlimactic. Plus, what happens then with placing her name in nomination for a roll call vote? Does that get canceled now that the closure/healing/catharsis will no longer be necessary? Exit question confession: I’m kind of hoping it’s her, partly because she grew on me near the end of the primaries and partly because this Shakespearean Clinton drama simply has to end with conflict. We shall meet again, oh yes. Let the final battle be joined.

Belated exit question: If Obama plays his queen in this chess game, is Maverick’s hand forced?

Update: An important clue? Or a slow news night on the trail for Jake Tapper? Content is content!

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, is almost always diligent about saying “he or she” when discussing his potential running mate.

But at a lively town hall meeting in the Tarheel State Tuesday evening, the senator — who is expected to announce his vice presidential pick at the end of this week — used a decidedly male pronoun.

Asked what his plan is to utilize his vice president as President Bush utilized his, Obama said, “Let me tell you first what I won’t do. I won’t hand over my energy policy to my vice president, without knowing necessarily what he’s doing.”

Maybe he meant Cheney in the context of the hypothetical? Or maybe it’s another Hillary head fake! Stop me before I speculate again.

Comments

If I hear the term “Veepstakes” one more time, I swear to God……….

ThePrez on August 19, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Do you mean that the witch managed to crawl out from under the house afterall?

MB4 on August 19, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Hey, who’s up for another dopey VP speculation post?

Hey, you’re paying for the bandwidth. We’re the dancing monkeys to the Hot Air musicbox.

Weebork on August 19, 2008 at 8:25 PM

She grew on me too AP, however, she is also the strongest pick for Obama in my opinion.
But Obama choosing her would be like selling his soul to the devil. Imagine having Bill and Hill around second-guessing your every move.

carbon_footprint on August 19, 2008 at 8:25 PM

If Hillary’s the pick…

…it would be perfect. What’s that old saying from PBS? Television worth watching.

Zorro on August 19, 2008 at 8:25 PM

If Obama plays his queen in this chess game, is Maverick’s hand forced?

Too good to be true, most assuredly.

And there’s no joy in my saying that.

Purple Fury on August 19, 2008 at 8:25 PM

I mean…

Tom Ridge?

TOM RIDGE?

TOM ##%$#%$#%@#$#$ RIDGE????!!!??

Purple Fury on August 19, 2008 at 8:26 PM

There’s a rustling noise from the crypt. Then the sound of a stone lid scraping over the sarcophagus. A creaking noise, and up from the depths….

Wethal on August 19, 2008 at 8:26 PM

I know it`s not mentioned in this post, but I can`t be the only one who is just tired of it. JUST PICK `EM AND BE DONE WITH IT!

ThePrez on August 19, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Well, he might just have to pick a true blue conservative. I know it will suck, he may lose a few Mavricky points, but his only hope was to pull in the PUMA kids, and Obama may deny him that hope.

RobertInAustin on August 19, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Ross Perot was/is pro-choice.

I bet that’s who McCain will pick. Perot is 78 so that will make McCain look young. He’ll kick Obama’s ass on the infomercials. We’ve got charts made already…

He helped support McCain’s ex-wife when he was in prison camp.

ninjapirate on August 19, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Can we play the humpbot video if Obama picks Hillary?

Oh, and obligatory:

¡PALIN!

MB007 on August 19, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Dude, he should play it first…

ninjapirate on August 19, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Slightly OT: Drudge reports that Carter, Gore and Kerry will all speak in Denver. Hehehe.

Wethal on August 19, 2008 at 8:30 PM

If Obama had a 10-12 point lead, he’d go with a safe pick and choose Biden, Bayh, et cetera.

But he clearly sees that he has problems with white working class voters and that problem may be mitigated among Democratic voters – especially white women – with Hillary on the ticket. There’s no chance if she isn’t (barring a McCain collapse (figuratively speaking wise guys)).

This is one selection where concerns about balancing the ticket geographically goes out the window. He’s got to solidify the Democratic base and, it seems to me, only Hillary can possibly do that.

Hillary makes sense despite the obvious problems. Benefits outweight the costs.

SteveMG on August 19, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Imagine having Bill and Hill around second-guessing your every move.

carbon_footprint on August 19, 2008 at 8:25 PM

One thought to ponder is that with things maybe kicking off with Russia, he may want to have someone near by who has access to someone with foreign policy expirence.

After all, if you are going to be a puppet, might as well have someone pull the strings who at least has an idea of what they are doing.

RobertInAustin on August 19, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Hey, who’s up for another dopey VP speculation post?

There needs to be some sort of cap on these things.

Exit question confession: I’m kind of hoping it’s her, partly because she grew on me near the end of the primaries and partly because this Shakespearean drama has to end with conflict. We shall meet again, oh yes. Let the final battle be joined.

I’m torn. I’d love to watch The Hillary and Bill Show on the trail for another few months and watching Hillary’s Greatest Hits from the primaries rerun in the form of McCain ads, but I’m convinced that having her on the ticket would guarantee a landslide and a Dem POTUS for the next 4 8 12 16 years. I’m not much of a political analyst, so I’m hoping I’m wrong. Either way, I still highly doubt that His Holiness’ ego would allow him to pick her.

e.g., bland Bayh makes bland Pawlenty more feasible.

Au contraire! A boring pick like Bayh makes an exciting pick like Jindal or Palin even more rewarding.

malan89 on August 19, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Doesn’t the presidential candidate, come out at the end and accept the nomination? If that is the case, and that is scheduled for Thursday, this could be to prevent a pro-Hillary demonstration at the convention on Wednesday, when his name is entered into nomination.

bnelson44 on August 19, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Not gonna do it.

Nope; not gonna play.

I’m not your monkey!

Damn you, Allah, you magnificent bastard, you know us too well.

If it’s Hillary, I’m setting myself on fire in the middle of Lafayette Park.

sulla on August 19, 2008 at 8:31 PM

The you really should see a dermatologists.

MB4 on August 19, 2008 at 8:31 PM

Carter, Gore and Kerry

Heh, Mt. Flushmore.

ThePrez on August 19, 2008 at 8:32 PM

I think so, and it probably won’t be enough to win.

bnelson44 on August 19, 2008 at 8:33 PM

This is all anyone needs to know –

Those who are talking don’t really know and those who really know aren’t talking.

MB4 on August 19, 2008 at 8:33 PM

Imagine having Bill and Hill around second-guessing your every move.

carbon_footprint on August 19, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Imagine having Bill and Hill also upstaging your every move.

It would be like having a Triumvirate running the US–which I suppose would be fitting with the Shakespearean theme.

INC on August 19, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Hey, who’s up for another dopey VP speculation post?

*faints*

JetBoy on August 19, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Heh…you know your audience. I’d love to see Palin as the pick, but at this point I think Whitman probably has the better chance. To answer the question…if it’s Hillary, he probably does have to pick a VP with two X chromosomes. If it’s somebody like Sebelius, probably not.

malan89 on August 19, 2008 at 8:36 PM

JetBoy on August 19, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Seriously. I think I’ve OD’d on this crap.

malan89 on August 19, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Imagine having Bill and Hill around second-guessing your every move.
carbon_footprint on August 19, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Imagine Bill and Hillary fitting you for a crime scene in Fort Marcy Park….

sulla on August 19, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Hey, who’s up for another dopey VP speculation post?

Sure……….. I’ll bite:

“According to an unamed source working closely with a campaign staffer, reports seeing an un-circulated e-mail scheduled for later release to unknown delegates, the shocking pick for Vice President for Barack Obama is…………… private citizen, and former POTUS, Bill Clinton!”

Seven Percent Solution on August 19, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Imagine having Bill and Hill also upstaging your every move.

INC on August 19, 2008 at 8:34 PM

And just imagine having to imagine if Hillary is imagining Robert Kennedy’s assassination again. Or after the election more like having to imagine if she is imagining John Kennedy’s assassination.

MB4 on August 19, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Barry will pick Biden, who now looks confusingly like McCain, from a a distance, so that elderly voters will mistakenly vote for Obama thinking McCain is his Veep.

The Idjit bloc agrees.

profitsbeard on August 19, 2008 at 8:44 PM

Enough. I give. No mas, por favor.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 19, 2008 at 8:45 PM

1. Pawlenty’s not bland
2. If it was gonna be Hillary, the PUMAS would have gotten quieter, not louder.
3. Meg Whitman might be a good choice for Sec Treas or something, not VP.
4. It’s William Ayers! His daddy owned Commonwealth Edison, after all, so he knows lots about energy issues!

funky chicken on August 19, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Update: Obama refers to VP as “he”

So? That’s probably the way Bill Clinton refers to Hillary in private.

MB4 on August 19, 2008 at 8:47 PM

Obama refers to VP as “he”

“Mrs Clinton puts her pants on, one leg at a time, like every other man.”

Weebork on August 19, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Maybe Barry’s going with Scott McLellan?

sulla on August 19, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Well, that rules out Bill Richardson. And Hillary, for that matter.

MB007 on August 19, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Hillary would outshine Obama and hateful Michelle will have no part of that!!!!!

Winebabe on August 19, 2008 at 8:55 PM

There can only be one and it aint Joe Biden

William Amos on August 19, 2008 at 8:45 PM

How “green” do you think that monster truck Biden is driving might be?

EJDolbow on August 19, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Michelle Ubama will NEVER let Barry pick Hillary. She won’t be able to fake THAT!

SouthernGent on August 19, 2008 at 8:58 PM

He is a generic descriptive; not necessarily implying male or female.

lorien1973 on August 19, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Either your next post is about battlefield lasers or I’m changing my homepage.

TexasDan on August 19, 2008 at 8:59 PM

Evan Bayh. Period.

AbaddonsReign on August 19, 2008 at 9:00 PM

TexasDan on August 19, 2008 at 8:59 PM

Second this motion!

lorien1973 on August 19, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Since this election is already bonkers, here’s my “Gosh I really hope this happens” scenario: McCain/Lieberman vs Obama/Clinton.

jimmy the notable on August 19, 2008 at 9:04 PM

No one knows anything, but let’s not let that stop us.

Heh. I Love this.

Weight of Glory on August 19, 2008 at 9:06 PM

End this.

Obama is picking McCain and McCain is picking Obama. Since neither will accept, we start a write-in campaign for General Petraeus.

And the good general will pick Jenna Jameson as his veep. It’s a win-win-win.

Bishop on August 19, 2008 at 9:07 PM

TexasDan on August 19, 2008 at 8:59 PM
Second this motion!

lorien1973 on August 19, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Motion carried.

Weight of Glory on August 19, 2008 at 9:07 PM

jimmy the notable on August 19, 2008 at 9:04 PM

I still McCain/Clinton would be the awesomest ticket ever!

lorien1973 on August 19, 2008 at 9:08 PM

You’re all wrong. Obama is putting the finishing touches on the DNA clone he hired a lab to create. It will be Obama/Obama.

Hollowpoint on August 19, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Hollowpoint on August 19, 2008 at 9:10 PM

Obama would never willingly share the stage with an ego as big as his own.

He will pick a piece of fresh arugula as his veep.

Bishop on August 19, 2008 at 9:12 PM

Hollowpoint on August 19, 2008 at 9:10 PM

It’s hard to make the Holy Spirit appear in the flesh. His worhipers will have to take it on “faith”.

SouthernGent on August 19, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Hollowpoint–RCP’s showing MN as a tossup (!?) but still counting it for Barry O. Could Pawlenty bring MN over to McCain?

funky chicken on August 19, 2008 at 9:15 PM

I have a bad feeling that Barack’s VP pick is going to be more Conservative than McCain’s.

EJDolbow on August 19, 2008 at 9:16 PM

How “green” do you think that monster truck Biden is driving might be?

EJDolbow on August 19, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Thats why I had to post that video

William Amos on August 19, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Hollowpoint on August 19, 2008 at 9:10 PM

That made me laugh.

terryannonline on August 19, 2008 at 9:17 PM

Mitt on H/C now :-)

SouthernGent on August 19, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Either your next post is about battlefield lasers or I’m changing my homepage.

TexasDan on August 19, 2008 at 8:59 PM

haha…check the Headlines!

JetBoy on August 19, 2008 at 9:22 PM

Here’s what Obama should do. Ditch the text message announcement. Hold a press conference to announce his VP selection, who is… Rick Astley! Who then proceeds to sing his hit “Never Gonna Give You Up.”

Tom_Shipley on August 19, 2008 at 9:23 PM

SouthernGent on August 19, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Thanks, just turned it on.

malan89 on August 19, 2008 at 9:25 PM

This is exactly why she wouldn’t take it.

someone on August 19, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Obama picks Hillary and the catfight of the century could ensue in 2012 if Baracky wins this year? I don’t think so.

Bishop on August 19, 2008 at 9:38 PM

This will never end………. never, after this and the conventions, the work up to the elections, and if it is close, then bring in the clowns, or lawyers with claims of voter fraud, cheating and stolen election if John McCain wins, then it will be in the courts, on and on and on and on it will go…………… this is just the first ten minuets of the 100 year war.

Seven Percent Solution on August 19, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Jake Tapper Political Punch

Asked what his plan is to utilize his vice president as
President Bush utilized his,Obama said,

“Let me tell you first what I won’t do.I won’t hand over
my Energy policy to my vice president,without knowing
necessarily what he’s doing.”

Jake Tapper;

What HE’S doing.Could be a reference to Vice President
Dick Cheney–to whom Obama is clearly alluding.
————————————————————

So,Obama is going to have a new position,like a hall mon-
iter,to check up,(spy)keep tabs on the Vice President,or
as Jake Tapper says,HE!

I love to see this operation in action,with HiRod as VP!

The more I think about it,if HilRod was VP,they would need
a crack squad of hall moniters,on every floor,maybe even a
crack squad of german guard dog stiffers,

just to keep up with Bill Clinton’s debauchery’s,a hum!Haha

canopfor on August 19, 2008 at 9:42 PM

Can’t be Hillary. Announcing her before the convention would pretty much out do the convention.

eski502 on August 19, 2008 at 9:44 PM

This speculation is fine but its speculation. We will know by the end of the week. My bet is BHO picks someone that does not overshadow him. hillary would make BHO look like a light weight. If hillary did not have so many negatives she would have run the table on BHO. BHO was not Hillary that is why he won. A footstool would have won agains t hillary IMO. and did.

So expect a second teir type of person for VP. a clean white canidate that knows to keep his/her mouth shut. The person will most likely follow BHO general views on abortion and hating the USA. the gov of kansas is the most likely, biden second. I wouldn’t be surprised if BHO nominates Putin for his VP pick

unseen on August 19, 2008 at 9:45 PM

funky chicken on August 19, 2008 at 9:15 PM

The odds would usually against it, but with McCain being being a moderate it’s a definite possibility. I’d guess McCain’s chances to take MN with Pawlenty would be 48%, and 40% without.

Hollowpoint on August 19, 2008 at 9:45 PM

McCain has a better chance of flipping Michigan than he does Minnesota. And Michigan has more Electoral College votes.

EJDolbow on August 19, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Ah, Allah be praised, its not just me. I hated the Vlintons before all of a sudden she grew on me. Never though i would say this, (anyone have a anti-Hilllary shot?) Hillary 08, Hillcans.

clover_dave on August 19, 2008 at 9:50 PM

EJDolbow on August 19, 2008 at 9:16 PM

MB4 on August 19, 2008 at 9:51 PM

Hillary would make sense for healing the rift, but how stupid do you have to be to give Bill another excuse to open his mouth?

pedestrian on August 19, 2008 at 9:51 PM

EJDolbow on August 19, 2008 at 9:50 PM

Not according to the latest polls; Obama has a slightly stronger lead in MI than in MN. If Pawlenty was on the ticket, he’d have a pretty good shot at a state he’d otherwise not get.

I’m assuming you meant that McCain would have a better shot at MI with Mitt on the ticket than at MN with Pawlenty. Maybe, maybe not. However, Pawlenty doesn’t pose the risk of losing Christian conservatives in states like VA, IA or IN.

Hollowpoint on August 19, 2008 at 9:57 PM

I think it’s going to be Hillary. I really do.

D2Boston on August 19, 2008 at 10:03 PM

If Obama picks Hillary and is elected, not only would he be a one-term President, she will never be President. The country is tired of the Clintons. Four more years of her and all voters will be clamoring for change.

Connie on August 19, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Whethal 8:30pm

The three stooges!!!!!

Winebabe on August 19, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Are you crazy? Would it not be bad enough to have Obama in the White House without reinstalling the Clinton clan too? Can you think of a more worse case scenario than that one?

Dude. Seriously.

Guardian on August 19, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Connie on August 19, 2008 at 10:05 PM

He probably won’t pick her because if he did, he might not make it through a full term IYKWIMAITYD.

Hollowpoint on August 19, 2008 at 10:16 PM

Thanks Hollowpoint. I agree on the MN vs MI idea. I don’t think there’s any way Kwame doesn’t deliver MI for Barry.

funky chicken on August 19, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Hey, hasn’t Jimmy Carter only served one term? He’s eligible…

sulla on August 19, 2008 at 10:20 PM

True, if it was a female, he would have called her “sweetie.”

Rick on August 19, 2008 at 10:24 PM

True, if it was a female, he would have called her “sweetie.”

Rick on August 19, 2008 at 10:24 PM

lol

unseen on August 19, 2008 at 10:28 PM

Karl Rove (that magnificent bastard) said on H and C tonight that Hillary would be the best VP choice. Having said that, he stated very strongly that it would not happen.

carbon_footprint on August 19, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Good one, Rick.

sulla on August 19, 2008 at 10:44 PM

Some said she is a “he”.

Entelechy on August 19, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Obama refers to VP as “he”

Janet Reno is in the running?

andycanuck on August 20, 2008 at 12:04 AM