Will the Obama running-mate announcement come this week?

posted at 11:30 am on August 18, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Politico and ABC both note that Barack Obama’s schedule, as well as the rapidly-declining number of days to the Democratic convention, point to a VP announcement sometime this week.  Obama has some time open at the end of the week, giving him the ability to shift suddenly to his running-mate’s home turf for the unveiling of his choice.  On the other hand, with Obama traveling through New Mexico today and Virginia on Wednesday and Thursday, Obama may already be in position when the time comes:

Barack Obama is expected to choose his running mate this week in a key decision about the direction and narrative of his bid for the White House.

A person familiar with the campaign’s planning noted that Obama’s schedule at the end of this week is open, but said the announcement could come “as late as the weekend.”

As for Obama’s announced schedule, it could favor either Bill Richardson or Tim Kaine.  ABC notes that Team Obama suddenly decided to invest some time in videotaping a Kaine event:

The schedule drives the early-week speculation: “On Monday, Sen. Obama plans to hold a town-hall style event in Gov. [Bill] Richardson’s home state [of New Mexico]. On Wednesday he will campaign in Virginia, the home of Gov. Tim Kaine, another shortlister.”

Virginia gets a second day of Obama time, too, on Thursday: “Kaine spent 20 minutes huddled in a backroom, where he said he was ‘filming a little thing’ for the Obama campaign,” Tim Craig reports for The Washington Post. “The cameraman later followed Kaine to Henrico County, where he held a town-hall meeting for Obama. But campaign officials stress the ‘filming’ of Kaine has nothing to do with Obama’s choice of a running mate.

Hmm.  Maybe Team Obama just wanted some home movies?

Of the two, Richardson makes the most sense for Obama.  He has a much better resumé than Kaine, with plenty of Beltway and foreign-policy experience, which became a lot more valuable after Obama’s embarrassing performance during the Caucasus crisis.  Richardson also has more executive experience than Kaine and presents a much higher readiness to assume the top spot in case something tragic happens, which is the most important consideration in a running mate.

A later announcement makes more sense, but one way or the other, we can expect it this week.  It makes no sense at all to forego the media blitz that his announcement will create until the convention, when a media blitz can already be expected.  Obama needs some lift after a summer in which he gave away his lead and has become defined by his inexperience and his arrogance.

A Thursday announcement would make the most strategic sense.  Obama can own the Friday news cycle and cut off any attempt by McCain to grab attention before the start of the convention in Denver on Monday.  It keeps the more in-depth, critical analysis on the weekend, and cuts it off with the start of the convention.  Does that favor Kaine?  Perhaps — but O Force One could easily get redirected to New Mexico for a prime-time announcement, or to Indiana, New York City, or just about anyplace Obama needs to go.

Comments

Louis Cifer

marklmail on August 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Which of the 12 apostles will the messiah choose?

I’m hoping for Judas, I mean Hillary Clinton.

NoDonkey on August 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Biden.

Count on it.

cntrlfrk on August 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

You know who would be the perfect pick for Obama in terms of style, message, everything?

Barney the dinosaur!

Think about it–it’s the “cuddly” change, Barney certainly doesn’t look like those guys on the money, and Barney’s approach to disputes is what Obama is preaching anyway–”can’t we all just get along?” “Let’s Hug!”

Both are equally gag inducing and both are hyped as the best thing ever for their respective audiencies. And both want you to treat them as your Savior…..

I guess the question is whether Obama is really running the Barney campaign.

Vanceone on August 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Maybe it will, maybe it won’t.

Akzed on August 18, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Funny.

I didn’t not think the messiah even needed a running mate. For g-d’s sake, the guy walks on water, right?

moonbat monitor on August 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM

From Wikipedia:

He [Tim Kaine] graduated from Harvard Law School in 1983, and was admitted to the Virginia Bar. [...] Kaine practiced law in Richmond for 17 years, specializing in representing people who had been denied housing opportunities because of their race or disability. He was recognized by local, state and national organizations for his fair housing advocacy.

It looks like Obama is just picking the white version of himself. “Pick your color. We have both.”

RBMN on August 18, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Any Virginians have any insight into Kaine?

amerpundit on August 18, 2008 at 11:42 AM

If Fay hits Florida hard that will dominate the news cycles in the southeast, it wont matter who Obama pick for the veep spot.

talking_mouse on August 18, 2008 at 11:43 AM

But is Barney native born?

MarkTheGreat on August 18, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Blame Kaine on the housing bubble. Otherwise, libs wouldn’t have been priced-out of MD and DC, and VA wouldn’t be purple.

JiangxiDad on August 18, 2008 at 11:45 AM

I don’t think he wants to pick a running mate.

But, what I’m fearful of and hoping won’t happen is that he chooses Colin Powell.

I see Powell as just about his only remaining shot at getting elected. In essence, he’d be doubling down on black. A lot of people make the argument that they’d love to see a black president but just don’t like Obama. “I’d have voted for Colin Powell in a heartbeat”–just not Obama.

Earned or not, Powell probably commands deeper and broader respect with the vast majority of Americans on foreign policy than any other figure on the stage. And Obama would almost be daring anyone to vote against the both of them.

Hopefully, however, I think he’s to arrogant to do it. I think he hasn’t picked a nominee yet because he feels the adulation of the multitudes is his and his alone. What’s going to happen to the stolen-from-Horizon-Air-O logo when he has to graft on a sidekick?

So my guess is Biden too. He’s got cred but he’s also a little scuffed and worn. Barry can reach out a hand of forgiveness to Biden for his remark about Barry’s cleanliness, and there’s not much chance he’ll ever look like the little dog on the stage as he does next to Richardson, or have to worry about his running mate really stealing the spotlight.

Typhoon on August 18, 2008 at 11:45 AM

From a conservative point of view I’m hoping for Kaine. While Richardson has some baggage I think he definitely helps ObamaNation by adding some legit foreign policy experience and maybe any fence sitting Hispanic voters. Besides Kaine is creepy looking and you can’t have a creepy looking veep.

b4itsover on August 18, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Any Virginians have any insight into Kaine?

Kaine is kinda–meh. Mark Warner, the previous governor, was really popular–left office with something like an 80% approval rating. If Obama picked Warner, that I could understand. Warner really did a lot for the state. But Kaine–I couldn’t really tell you much about what Kaine’s accomplished. To me, he’d be a lackluster choice. I don’t think Kaine would help Obama carry VA. Warner yes, Kaine no.

Yossarian on August 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Kaine spent time in Honduras working for the Catholic Church and speaks Spanish fluently. I think that’s the real reason he’s on the short list.

RBMN on August 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Team Obama circulating letters to Dem governors:

“Will you please be my vice-president?”

[ ] Yes
[ ] No
[ ] I’d like to, but I’m terrified of your bus.

blankminde on August 18, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Hey! do you have to spoil the Olympic results for us in the Headlines!? Your getting as bad as ESPN. Is HA anti Olympics?

DrW on August 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Who. Cares.

fossten on August 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Waiting with baited breath. Oops, swallowed the nightcrawler.

whitetop on August 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Everyone but Howard Dean has said NO.

meci on August 18, 2008 at 11:53 AM

blankminde on August 18, 2008 at 11:47 AM

That was good.

Typhoon on August 18, 2008 at 11:53 AM

I’m praying for Kerry…but Biden will do (he’s clean and articulate)…

sabbott on August 18, 2008 at 11:54 AM

He’ll probably do what a “typical white person” would do. Pick a white veep. Being a halfrican american, he’ll catch no flack.

John Kerry is my guess. If Teraza approves, of course.

roninacreage on August 18, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Dick Morris, who before Karl Rove came along was considered to be pretty sharp, says that if Obama (or more accurately, Obama’s speech writers) can prevent McCain from getting the same Hispanic support that Bush got, then Obama wins. That’s where Richardson or the Spanish-speaking Kaine come in. To help make that happen.

RBMN on August 18, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Team Obama circulating letters to Dem governors:

“Will you please be my vice-president?”

[ ] Yes
[ ] No
[ ] I’d like to, but I’m terrified of your bus.

blankminde

Brilliant! :)

Conservative_SAHM on August 18, 2008 at 12:04 PM

COnsidering the beating Obama is taking in the polls and even the press, I suspect the announcement will be soon to shift focus off his troubles.

EJDolbow on August 18, 2008 at 12:06 PM

The obvious choice is the Michelin Man.

Who knows more about proper tire inflation?

Hammertime on August 18, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Maybe team Obama is way deep into its practice squad because the starters don’t want to play.

Akzed on August 18, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Besides Kaine is creepy looking and you can’t have a creepy looking veep.

That’s a joke, right?

Ali-Bubba on August 18, 2008 at 12:25 PM

I wondered what Rielle Hunter was up to these days.

HawaiiLwyr on August 18, 2008 at 12:29 PM

running-mate announcement

That would change the subject from BO’s disastrous performance Saturday.
Maybe his veep will be above BO’s pay grade.

jgapinoy on August 18, 2008 at 12:30 PM

It won’t matter who the Messiah chooses. Come November’s general election, Oblahblah will still be a 300+ million dollar DemOrat failure.

byteshredder on August 18, 2008 at 12:32 PM

The obvious choice is the Michelin Man.

Who knows more about proper tire inflation?

Hammertime on August 18, 2008 at 12:07 PM

I may actually watch the convention to see that surreal speech…

blankminde on August 18, 2008 at 12:33 PM

My guess is he’ll pick someone who shares his ideology to a tee……Louis Farrakhan!

SaintOlaf on August 18, 2008 at 12:58 PM

The bloom is off the rose me thinks. Maybe it’s the camera angle or the light, but O is looking strained, harried and under pressure.

jeanie on August 18, 2008 at 1:12 PM

The only thing Kaine’s done while in office is to blame Republicans for not allowing him to raise taxes.

So Kaine will be a Westhighland Terrier to Obama’s Scottie.

Two runty, noisy dog candidates. Both completely useless.

Supposedly, Warner was a good governor, but I lived here in Virginia during his term and I can’t think of one single thing the guy did here.

NoDonkey on August 18, 2008 at 1:13 PM

If the announcement is this week, it will be obvious that the floor vote for the nomination is fixed. Not very democratic.

meci on August 18, 2008 at 1:35 PM

The only choices he could make that would worry me, as a Republican, would be Bayh or Hillary.

carbon_footprint on August 18, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Kaine.

Clark1 on August 18, 2008 at 2:08 PM

The Dark Lord of All Cosmos really needs to shore up His foreign policy credentials. My guess is that He will choose His most prominent advisor in this area – Winnie the Pooh.

Master Shake on August 18, 2008 at 2:24 PM

I am conflicted about who to hope for as Obama’s VP nominee.

If it’s Hillary, the media will crown them the “dream team” and pull out all the stops. It will be nauseating beyond belief.

On the other hand, if it’s Kerry, I will owe Satan my soul.

Bummer.

drunyan8315 on August 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM

My goodness, I haven’t seen this much anticipation since the impending birth of Little Ricky (Ricardo, as in ‘I Love Lucy’ for you youngsters)

NightmareOnKStreet on August 18, 2008 at 5:10 PM