Want an Obama lawn sign? Cough up the cash!

posted at 5:50 pm on August 18, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Maybe Barack Obama has a fundraising problem in the Twin Cities.  When Monte Bute wanted to display his support for Obama on his lawn and communicate Hope and Change to his neighbors, he got a rude awakening from the local Obama HQ.  After securing a commitment from Bute to door-knock on a weekend in the future, they gladly offered him a lawn sign … for $8 and up:

A few days ago I received a letter from Barack Obama, pleading that I “rush a generous contribution” to him. I placed the return envelope in my checkbook.

The same evening I got a call from his campaign asking me to door-knock on the weekend. I already had plans but I agreed to future weekends.

Then I requested a lawn sign. The volunteer informed me that I could buy one at campaign headquarters.

Buy one? Purchased in bulk, a two-color lawn sign might cost the Obama campaign $1. I checked the Obama ’08 Web site. They offer the budget-conscious supporter a generic 26-by-16-inch sign for $8. For those Obamites into conspicuous consumption, the site advertises a variety of 22-by-15-inch designer signs for $19.99. If this were an oil company, the Democrats would be accusing it of price gouging. As Kurt Vonnegut put it, “So it goes.”

That’s one hell of a markup at Team Obama.

As Bute points out in his cri de coeur, the Obama campaign looks pretty mercenary for a “movement”.  Last week its “free” tickets to the acceptance speech at Invesco Field turned into a demand for uncompensated labor.  Now it wants to charge people for the privilege of advertising on their property.

Even more laughably, when Bute challenged them on this policy, they explained that they had to find a revenue source after rejecting “contributions from PACs and lobbyists”.  Really?  On the same day that Bute’s column appeared in the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the Los Angeles Times reported on Obama’s solicitation of contributions from those same PACs and lobbyists to get the DNCC out of the red in Denver.  How many more lies can Team Obama tell to get cash out of the saps who want to support The One?

They won’t get any from Bute.  He says he will not donate to the Obama campaign nor work on their behalf until they stop charging for lawn signs.  Bute also wants to charge the Obama campaign for the hours he spent writing an early op-ed singing his praises.  Perhaps Bute, a professor of sociology at a local university, should learn from his experience and understand the fundamental baloney of Hope and Change.

And a note to Team Obama: If you’ve started to disillusion the academics in Minnesota, you’re really in big trouble.

(via King Banaian, who wonders whether the true value of a lawn sign is in advertising or revenue)

Update: Some note that John McCain sells campaign signs through his website as well.  However, that would appear to be for those who don’t go down to a campaign office to get one for themselves.  (The McCain site doesn’t charge for shipping, for instance.)  I’ve never heard of anyone getting charged for a sign at an HQ, especially not those who volunteer to work for the campaign.

Comments

What a bunch of Hope-aloney!

ThePrez on August 18, 2008 at 5:53 PM

just like the paul campaign.

Cult of Personality, there’s a market for it

jp on August 18, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Not likely… I didn’t read that he will not be voting for BHO

Hunt035 on August 18, 2008 at 5:54 PM

That’s one hell of a markup at Team Obama.

Not a markup…..call it a revenue generating tax increase.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 18, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Guess I won’t be seeing a lot of them in the projects…

sloopy on August 18, 2008 at 5:55 PM

You can buy the official Obama A-Hole sign for eight bucks, or you can make a simple one-finger version for free.

Cicero43 on August 18, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Cant I just mow the word “hope” into my front lawn? It’s free.

hanzblinx on August 18, 2008 at 5:56 PM

It’s a windfall profit – Let Nancy P. know so she can tax the Hell out of it!!!!!

HawaiiLwyr on August 18, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Isnt just obama I get the same thing from many GOP candidates.

William Amos on August 18, 2008 at 5:57 PM

So the more money you have, the more sign you get. That’s fair.

OT: Ed got a shout out from Rush today!

Akzed on August 18, 2008 at 5:57 PM

What?!!! You say Obama lies?!!! You say Obama extorts money?!!! You say Obama uses people ?!!! Can this be true? Why this wonderful man wants to be President and bring all these values to the White House and the Country.

jeanie on August 18, 2008 at 5:58 PM

goatse

pseudonominus on August 18, 2008 at 5:58 PM

“Let them touch those things for once.”
C. Dion

It’s like going into church and being asked to pay to use the bible. It’s not just a lawn sign, it’s a religious icon. I’m with Celine. If Barry knew about this, he would thrust those moneychangers out of the temple. HE knows about that stuff.

JiangxiDad on August 18, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Quoting Pastor David Manning….

Obama’s a pimp! Obama’s a mack daddy!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 18, 2008 at 5:59 PM

That logo looks like an invitation. Or an admission.

jaime on August 18, 2008 at 6:00 PM

JiangxiDad on August 18, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Don’t forget she and Renee donated a million dollar.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 18, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Cant I just mow the word “hope” into my front lawn? It’s free.

Where do you live? I’d like to see that. Actually mow “change” into your front yard. It’s a longer word and thus is more impressive.

mjk on August 18, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Did anyone bother checking McCain’s prices? His yard signs are $7.00. Not much of a difference.

doodleduh on August 18, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Can we still vote for Obama for free?

Cicero43 on August 18, 2008 at 6:02 PM

dollar. LOL.

JiangxiDad on August 18, 2008 at 6:03 PM

I think the campaign is hedging against the probability that Obama is going to lose. This is perhaps part of an effort to maximize fund raising for profit. There are all kinds of ways to milk a campaign for cash. Remember the Chicago model. There’s no point going into politics if you come out poor.

DocKen on August 18, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Obama is running his campaign like one of those annoying internet marketing ones. Sad part is that it probably works.

Darth Executor on August 18, 2008 at 6:05 PM

doodleduh on August 18, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Yeah, but his yard signs are made in America, by god’s children, not in Indonesia or Pakistan or wherever the hell else he comes from. I want illegal yard signs, not jihadi ones.

JiangxiDad on August 18, 2008 at 6:05 PM

I’ve been commenting for several weeks now about the lack of signs here in my area…maybe this is why???

dustoffmom on August 18, 2008 at 6:06 PM

doodleduh on August 18, 2008 at 6:01 PM

The difference is that McCain supplies an illegal alien to install the yard sign and maintain it every week.

Cicero43 on August 18, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Cicero43 on August 18, 2008 at 6:02 PM

You can vote for Obama even if you’re in a coma. Especially if you’re in a coma. Don’t worry about it.

RBMN on August 18, 2008 at 6:07 PM

I’ll be making this one myself and putting it in the front yard.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 18, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Hehe…I’ll buy THAT for a dollar! :)

tickleddragon on August 18, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Hope and pocket change?

MB007 on August 18, 2008 at 6:08 PM

No wonder he is breaking fundraising records, he is strong arming the supporters.

Looks like Chicago Politics is going national.

EJDolbow on August 18, 2008 at 6:10 PM

WOW, I’ve always wanted an “eat me” lawn sign.

TooTall on August 18, 2008 at 6:10 PM

RBMN on August 18, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Or if you’re dead. Many dead people in Illinois vote.

Rick on August 18, 2008 at 6:20 PM

The next thing will be how many of his addled followers will be stealing them.

jeanie on August 18, 2008 at 6:26 PM

They won’t get any from Bute. He says he will not donate to the Obama campaign nor work on their behalf until they stop charging for lawn signs.

So it’s just about the money?!?! So, if they give him an $8 sign so he can proudly and publicly proclaim his ignorance, he’ll go back to donating time and money to them. Wow, LibTard logic 101.

Mebbe the DFL controlled MN government can bang out some serious manna legislation for the needy….If you can’t afford your Hope&Change, we’ll provide it!!!

BigWyo on August 18, 2008 at 6:33 PM

We Hope you give us your spare Change so that His Holiness Barack (let his wonderous eminations splatter forth upon the unwashed) has coffers full to fight the evil doers.

Wyznowski on August 18, 2008 at 6:37 PM

doodleduh on August 18, 2008 at 6:01 PM

I can go down to my county GOP office and pick up a dozen signs for nothing. Actually, I’ve done that already.

psrch on August 18, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Can we still vote for Obama for free?

Cicero43 on August 18, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Yes, the bill won’t come due until January, 2009.

AZCoyote on August 18, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Ocapitalism, when it suits him.

carbon_footprint on August 18, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Who needs a lawn sign when you’re omnipresent???

DfDeportation on August 18, 2008 at 7:04 PM

The Dali Bama can pass through walls too, can’t he?

O me of little faith…

DfDeportation on August 18, 2008 at 7:07 PM

same here psrch….it’s a ‘cost’ item if you order it online e.g. and want it ‘sent’ to you. Or one can drive their happy butt to the local GOP office and get all you want for free. They are pleased as punch to give them to you! :)

dustoffmom on August 18, 2008 at 7:10 PM

goatse

pseudonominus on August 18, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Oh, someone should definitely do an Obama goetse.

gzelmiami on August 18, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Vero Possumus.

Buy Danish on August 18, 2008 at 7:39 PM

Groan. Look at the well-priced ($1.00)but idiotic stickers Mac is selling.

Americans with disabilities for McCain…African Americans for McCain…Arab Americans for McCain…

Buy Danish on August 18, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Groan. Look at the well-priced ($1.00)but idiotic stickers Mac is selling.

Buy Danish on August 18, 2008 at 7:42 PM

“I Have ED But I’m Firmly For McCain”

“Another Two Schizophrenics For McCain”

“A Convicted Felon Who Would Have Voted For McCain”

Might as well try to cover everybody

Cicero43 on August 18, 2008 at 8:00 PM

doodleduh on August 18, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Only if you get them online. I went down to the county Republican HQ and got one for nothing.

smithinmich on August 18, 2008 at 8:07 PM

Put me down for 100 Obama phallic symbol yard signs for purposes of profanation.

whitetop on August 18, 2008 at 8:38 PM

DocKen on August 18, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Add that to not paying the vendors and your talking serious money.

Cindy Munford on August 18, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Isn’t Obama one of the campaigns that counts merchandise purchases as “campaign contributions?” I think it is, but I haven’t looked it up today. (McCain might do the same thing, for all I know). My impression here is that Obama sells thousands of signs, highlights the number of “small donors” contributing to the “groundswell” of his campaign, then keeps hitting the big $ fundraising circuit to bulk up his take.

cs89 on August 18, 2008 at 9:05 PM

If he can put the money in the pocket he likes or needs to (payback), Barry O and every Marxist has understood screwing their supporters and anyone else they can get their hands on.

How the acolytes of the Messiah can oppose organized religion and sign on for this tour is really quite a study in self-delusion.

My opinion is the failure of public schools to educate people to THINK has made the Barry O Hoax possible. For those “educators” who hang portraits of Che in their classrooms, the Bill Ayers of education, Obama’s campaign is a dream come true. It could not happen unless enabled by ignorance and emotion.

Harry Schell on August 18, 2008 at 9:36 PM

I’ll be making this one myself and putting it in the front yard.
Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 18, 2008 at 5:53 PM

That is really a great idea.

The left have enjoyed replacing people’s “W the president” with “F the president” stickers. (A black sticker with the “F” the same size as the “W” that is placed over the Bush supporter’s vehicle sticker)

Buy an Obama sign, take out a red thick sharpie, and circle the inside of the hands as the “o” and then put the slash through it to make it both a “Zero” and a “Do not enter/danger” sign.

A revenge most sweet.

wise_man on August 18, 2008 at 11:55 PM

This is what Obama is..

Click that

Chakra Hammer on August 19, 2008 at 2:22 AM

I smell a burgeoning bootleg market. An enterprising signmaker out there could clean up by selling fake Obama signs to anyone stupid enough to buy them.

Spanglemaker on August 19, 2008 at 9:13 AM

just like the paul campaign.

Cult of Personality, there’s a market for it

jp on August 18, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Actually, that’s not quite true. I was able to get a free Ron Paul sign from the Obama campaign.

JohnTant on August 19, 2008 at 10:01 AM

I guess he didn’t get this message:

My company is giving away 100,000 free campaign signs in an effort to encourage all Americans to get involved in this year’s historic election season. We were inspired by the frustrations of campaign supporters who are now being charged for yard signs. Each person can get one free sign and all they have to pay for is the shipping.

The free signs are available at http://www.BuildASign.com/campaign-signs. The page offers dozens of 100% customizable, election-related sign designs as well as an option to design a sign from scratch. BuildASign.com’s free signs can be used to support campaigns, raise awareness for specific issues, or poke fun at candidates. People can even create their own “No Foreign Oil”, “Stop Illegal Immigration”, “Pro Gun” or “Do Nothing Dems” signs!

Sincerely;

David Moore

BuildASign.com

rightwingprof on August 19, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Take away message from His Holiness’ homily.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 27, 2008 at 10:23 AM