Video: Kobe on Phelps

posted at 3:17 pm on August 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

Aside from the Golden Boy himself, has anyone done more to improve his image at the Olympics than Kobe? He’s the de facto leader of the Redeem Team that’s crushing everything in its path; he’s getting deserved buzz for what he had to say the other night to Collinsworth about playing for America; and as you’ll see, global superstar though he is, he’s not too self-important to sit in the stands and cheer on Phelps with obvious enthusiasm. What happened to the egomaniac prima donna who supposedly drove Shaq out of L.A.? Click the image to watch.

Comments

Kobe Bryant patriotic position at the Olympics is really receiving the accolades it deserves. Loving what this country is all about should be everyone’s position. If Obama was anywhere near as patriotic, his election would be more likely. Since he sees us as in decay and our values have been eroded to where only he can return us to the level we once were. GARBAGE from the elitist left. Nothing more, nothing less.

volsense on August 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Yeah, I like the Olympic version of Kobe better. It was nice to see him and LeBron turn out to watch Phelps, and President Bush supporting everyone as well.

Grafted on August 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM

I’ve been feeling it all over the place, sort of in the air: America is primed for a rebound. Phelps, Team USA, its all part of it. The turnaround in the Iraq War. The fact that Russia is showing the world what an actual evil dictatorship looks like.

jimmy the notable on August 18, 2008 at 3:26 PM

The Celtics beat it out of him.

reaganaut on August 18, 2008 at 3:27 PM

WRONG.

If you look at the stats, basically all he does is shoot. He generally only scores when he dunks. He doesn’t get the minutes because he’s not the ‘de facto leader’.

Chris Paul against spain had more points, 8 assists, 5 steals, etc. But in America, as Agassi said, ‘image is everything’.

So everyone will give this gold medal to Kobe. But if Chris Paul wasn’t on the team, Kobe would have lost too. Who has heard of Chris Paul? He’s only the greatest player in the history of the game. Of course, he’s not named Kobe ‘defacto leader’ Bryant.

I don’t blame anyone. . . it is just the reason that basketball in America has fallen off. We don’t care about the actual game. . . we just care about the hype. Don’t kid yourselves. Chris Paul is the reason team USA is winning. Coach K will tell you that.

ThackerAgency on August 18, 2008 at 3:29 PM

He finally tasted Shaq’s ass.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 18, 2008 at 3:29 PM

I do not like the guy, but Kobe hit all the right buttons so far: “WE WIN; THEY LOSE. IN EVERYTHING.”

(Dabs hanky to eye, thinks about the idiot Knicks.)

WHY ME, GOD? WASN’T THE YANKEES PUNISHMENT ENOUGH?

TC@LeatherPenguin on August 18, 2008 at 3:30 PM

I’ve found a whole new respect for Kobe since his Olympic comments.

abinitioadinfinitum on August 18, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Actually Coach K and the STATS will tell you that. But of course everyone will only remember the color of medal and the dunk that Kobe got off of Wade. It was a great play, but it’s merely ‘hype-worthy’.

ThackerAgency on August 18, 2008 at 3:30 PM

ThackerAgency on August 18, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Simmer down there. There’s more to being the leader than scoring the most points.

bj1126 on August 18, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Grafted on August 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Same here. In previous olympics, the BB players were a bit too ‘celebrity’. To see them in the stands with everyone else cheering was quite impressive, not to mention the whole ‘cheering the red white and blue is cool’ thing going on….

Think_b4_speaking on August 18, 2008 at 3:31 PM

I think Kobe did a lot of growing up. Maybe his stint in the Olympics, representing the USA inspired something in him. I really like this Kobe.

jencab on August 18, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Thacker,

So the leader of a team is the guy who scores the most points?

Then again, to a guy who thinks winning is the only thing that matters …

MarkTheGreat on August 18, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Meanwhile, Shaq came off looking like a total retard with his Kobe-bashing “ass” rap.

I’m no Lakers fan but with Bynum healthy and improving they’ll be very tough to beat.

BuzzCrutcher on August 18, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Kobe, LeBron and the Redeem Team really are comporting themselves as dignified ambassadors for our country, much like the first Dream Team. I’m extremely proud of them, and I don’t even like basketball.

spmat on August 18, 2008 at 3:33 PM

He’s only the greatest player in the history of the game.

LOL

jimmy the notable on August 18, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Kobe may not dominate the stat charts, but, you know, that’s a testament to his leadership, in itself.

He has been about as awesome a goodwill ambassador for the U.S. as we could have asked for, and the Chinese love the dude. That clip with him and Lebron going nuts in the stands was awesome.

All of this coming from someone who reveled in Kobe’s humiliation at the hands of the Celtics. Dude’s stock rose big, thanks to what he’s done at the Olympics.

Gymkata on August 18, 2008 at 3:34 PM

I was glad to hear Kobe voice appreciation for the fact that he is a millionaire not only because of his skill but also for the chance that America gives everyone. I don’t follow Bball but Kobe came off like a class act.

Bishop on August 18, 2008 at 3:36 PM

I don’t like professional basketball and professional basketball players. I think they are punks, losers and gang-bangers. That said, I must admit that it is refreshing to hear at least ONE US athlete comment that they are proud of their country! Has anyone heard anything from the swimmers…anyone…anyone… Or the gymnastic competitors…anyone…anyone… Or the track athletes…anyone…anyone… Weight Lifters…anyone…anyone… Women’s Soccer…anyone…anyone… Men’s Soccer…anyone…anyone… Women’s Basketball…anyone…anyone…

sabbott on August 18, 2008 at 3:39 PM

ThackerAgency on August 18, 2008 at 3:29 PM

There’s a difference between scoring the most points and leading a team.

amerpundit on August 18, 2008 at 3:42 PM

sabbott on August 18, 2008 at 3:39 PM

I have heard a gymnast praise her country. I am not positive on exactly who, but I think it was Russian-born Texas native Nastia Liukin praise the U.S. as the best country in the world.

Grafted on August 18, 2008 at 3:46 PM

sabbott on August 18, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Relax Sabbott…………… I see it everytime a United States athlete takes the medal stand, or hears the National Anthem, they ALL have their hands over their hearts.

………….. that shows me PRIDE IN THEIR COUNTRY without having to be asked by some dumbass reporter wearing a “Bejing” shirt.

As for Kobe and the “Redeem Team”, Damn Straigh! Thanks boys, keep up the good work and for all the athletes, God Bless you and come home safe………..

Seven Percent Solution on August 18, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I truly detest basketball, but Kobe done good — eh, I even liked the Marvin Gaye Nike commercial.

OK, OK, maybe it’s all hype — but after all we’ve seen of America-bashing lately — it nice to see good hype.

Nichevo on August 18, 2008 at 3:46 PM

ThackerAgency on August 18, 2008 at 3:29 PM

I’m a Hornets fan and I love Chris Paul, but he is not the leader of the Redeem Team. That is Kobe and Lebron. And the MVP of the team up to this point would have to be D-Wade. I think CP3 should be the starting point guard instead of way past his prime Jason Kidd but that is another argument.

saltydogg14 on August 18, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Great American.

Not so great man, husband and father.

EJDolbow on August 18, 2008 at 3:55 PM

I saw Kobe’s interview where he said he was proud to wear the USA team uniform, and that was the first time I really respected him (I am a Spurs fan). He grew up in Europe where his father played ball, and is a world wide star. So when he says that he believes America is the best country on earth, you know that he has been around and seen the competition.
I contrast that with Becky Hammon, the WNBA player who became a Russian citizen earlier this year so that she could play on the Russian Olympic team. Granted, the Russians are giving their team a big cash bonus if they win a medal, but as the joke goes, “we’ve already determined what you are; right now we are just haggling on the price.” I don’t know when I have ever been more disgusted.

Spike72AFA on August 18, 2008 at 4:02 PM

That is something that Barak Obama refuses to do unless he is desperately trying to pander for votes.

Barak’s friends and supporters do not respect the flag of the United States, they burn it. Their anthem is the “Internationale” not the “star Spangled Banner”.

Nahanni on August 18, 2008 at 4:09 PM

No. He also did great with his Costas (or other NBC sportsman, don’t remember) interview along with LeBron.

Spirit of 1776 on August 18, 2008 at 4:09 PM

BuzzCrutcher on August 18, 2008 at 3:32 PM

CP3 and the Hornets are up for the challenge

abinitioadinfinitum on August 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM

Spike72AFA on August 18, 2008 at 4:02 PM

There some other guy who applied for German citizenship to play. His grandparents came from Germany. I can’t remember his name, he’s not that great.

His dad is pissed about it, though.

There are a ton of foreign athletes who actually live and train in the US, I think it’s funny.

reaganaut on August 18, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Yes Kobe is presenting well and saying what needs to be said. I sort of kinda half-remember he was involved in some scandal and lewd sex acts but it is all fading away under the glow of the images coming out of my TV. (while a PR director somewhere is giving a fist pump and a big “Yes!”)

On the other hand, Marvin Gaye Anthem with a Ray Charles America the Beautiful chaser: goosebumps, baby.

Mallard T. Drake on August 18, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Well you guys can’t really get mad at people who choose to go with their ancestry to play for another team. Considering the depth of talent in the US, they might never have gotten a chance to play in the Olympics. If I had either the choice of not playing for the US, or playing for Ireland, I would play for Ireland.

jimmy the notable on August 18, 2008 at 4:21 PM

These team would be winning sans Paul. Paul maybe the greatest player you’ve ever seen, but until he either wins championships or plays for a long period of time at the absolute highest level, he doesn’t even deserve to be in the GOAT conversation.

Spirit of 1776 on August 18, 2008 at 4:34 PM

I dislike the guy for a lot of reasons, but I have to tip my hat to him here. As a life-long cynic (especially of professional athletes), I’m inclined to believe that this is a calculated move to improve his image (and if so, he just hit an 89 foot jumper). On the other hand, it could be genuine- he has seen America at its best in his troubled past, being acquitted of rape after an attempt at extortion by a white wh*re. We’ve come quite a ways since the days of “To Kill A Mockingbird”, huh?

lionheart on August 18, 2008 at 4:35 PM

WRONG.

Eh no. In the words of Bobby Byrd, you’re WRONG WRONG WRONG!

Look, the U.S. didn’t need a bunch of hot dog scorers to show up at this Olympics. They needed a true commitment to defense and the willingness of superstars to play together as a real team. Kobe brought both of those aspects and has lead in that commitment for the last three years. The guy who put up 81 against Toronto and is the reigning league MVP brought stifling defense and parked his ego at the water’s edge.

Your ‘stats’ meter is precisely the wrong way to view Kobe’s contributions to both the team and the country.

JonPrichard on August 18, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Same here. In previous olympics, the BB players were a bit too ‘celebrity’.

Think_b4_speaking on August 18, 2008 at 3:31 PM

You might be thinking of a different year. The 2004 team were the Allen Iverson-lead Bronze medalists who were much maligned by arm-chair patriots even though they stepped up to represent the USA after the “big stars” like Shaq were too afraid to leave the country because of terror threats against the Athens Olympics.

The 2004 BBall team was the most admirable and patriotic of them all.

baldilocks on August 18, 2008 at 4:57 PM

The 2004 team was composed of the Allen Iverson-lead Bronze medalists

baldilocks on August 18, 2008 at 4:58 PM

I don’t really care where he places as either the leader of the redeem team or the best dunker, the best defensive player or the lowest scorer. I don’t even care that he had problems in his past.

I only know that as an American, he definitely struck a proud chord of Patriotism.

Tennman on August 18, 2008 at 5:10 PM

clearly it’s carsmello anthony that brought the good stuff.

kirkill on August 18, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Allen Iverson was from my neck of the woods and he was one wild child. It was like he and Alonzo Mourning(also a local) were polar opposites. But let’s all give a hand to all those who grow up and work on becoming good citizens.

Cindy Munford on August 18, 2008 at 5:34 PM

I hate Kobe, but I like what he’s saying and doing in China. Go, USA!

SouthernGent on August 18, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Thacker,
The problem is you are only looking at the stats. Bryant is having a huge impact setting the defensive tone, which is why the U.S. is performing at the level they are.

exhelodrvr on August 18, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Before this year I nevr really liked Kobe. Then my Celtics played him in the playoffs- and though he lost, he was impressive and a team player in defeat.

Now with these past couple weeks, I’m proud of him.

eski502 on August 18, 2008 at 6:46 PM

What’s been the big beef against him anyway? Is he any more of a prima donna than most of the NBA athletes. I don’t know why there was so much hatred of him in the first place.

Mormon Doc on August 18, 2008 at 6:53 PM

Thacker,

Kobe’s on a team of role players. His role is elite defender and play facilitator. Chris Paul’s role, along with DWade’s, is scorer. If you watched any basketball you’d understand the importance of roles.

fossten on August 18, 2008 at 10:53 PM

two words: class act.

homesickamerican on August 19, 2008 at 12:40 AM

and the nike ad on that page ROCKS!

so ready to be back home!

one more month, one more month, one more month…

homesickamerican on August 19, 2008 at 12:48 AM

spmat on August 18, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Ditto’s spmat….

Kobe and this entire “dream team” makes me proud of them, proud of my country, and hopeful for our future.

Keemo on August 19, 2008 at 9:02 AM

The real leader of the “Redeem Team”?

Coach K.