Report: McCain planning “big” event in Ohio for day after Dem convention? Update: Birthday party? Update: Michigan and Pennsylvania, too

posted at 2:55 pm on August 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

With most of the day’s big news blogged, we turn to rank speculation. What’s this about? A decoy planted by Team Maverick to throw VP bloodhounds off the scent? An accurate but otherwise unexceptional report of a routine campaign stop? Or is it … the grand unveiling? The timing’s more interesting to me than the location: If it’s true then this probably is the grand unveiling since McCain will be looking to pull buzz from the afterglow of Obama’s acceptance speech, but I’m not sure we can read anything into the fact that it’s being held in Ohio given how important it is as a swing state. You’ve got two dark horse candidates from there — Rob Portman and John Kasich — but neither one of them’s a big enough name to distract the media the day after the Ascension, and naming a guy like Kasich who’s better known now for his Fox show than for his time in Congress would be like naming Neal Cavuto. McCain/Cavuto? Likeable, but I don’t see it. Speculate away!

For what it’s worth, and with absolutely no evidence to support it, we got an e-mail this morning alleging “whispers” that a jet’s been tagged “Obama/Sebelius.” I don’t believe it for a second, but let’s note it now so that I can crow about how tapped in we are if it pans out.

Update: A commenter notes that August 29 happens to be McCain’s birthday. What’s he getting by way of a present this year? Bobby Jindal?

Update: CNN hears there may be rallies in Michigan and Pennsylvania that day too, which makes it less of an Ohio thing and more of a midwestern/swing-state thing. Bad news for Portman and Kasich, good news for Mitt Romney?

Comments

No Boring White Guy!!!
Please!

jgapinoy on August 18, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Even if it is a VP announcement, why would it imply that the candidate comes from Ohio?

rightwingprof on August 18, 2008 at 2:59 PM

BO is going to get millions of votes solely for the fact that he’s NOT a boring White guy.
Let’s cut into that by offering an alternative as our veep pick, John!

jgapinoy on August 18, 2008 at 2:59 PM

For the purists who disagree with my assessment & say that McCain should pick the best possible veep (meaning a boring White guy)–
Is McCain the best possible choice for Pres, or the most electable good choice?

jgapinoy on August 18, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Is Sarah Palin going to be in Ohio that day for some reason? Ha. I wish.

CP on August 18, 2008 at 3:01 PM

I am with Allah…

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don’t want to speculate to much.

upinak on August 18, 2008 at 3:02 PM

That’s why JMac should still be considering Palin.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 18, 2008 at 3:03 PM

There has got to be ‘lots’ of qualified, honest (went way out on this one) people John could find as VP. Please let it be someone a true R could vote for.
L

letget on August 18, 2008 at 3:03 PM

He’s going to announce Mike Huckabee is his VP in ohio?

Great decision John…it’s probably the only way you will steal the limelight from the obamanation that day!

In addition to the Christians, independents and reagan democrats…those blue collar white ohioans will certainly be excited about a Mccain/Huckabee ticket!

SaintOlaf on August 18, 2008 at 3:04 PM

One can only hope – that would bring an early end to the reign of the messiah.

Think_b4_speaking on August 18, 2008 at 3:05 PM

The 29th is McCain’s birthday.

Elliott on August 18, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Maybe the VP is not from Ohio, but it is a battleground state that any attention to it by a candidate is pretty good.

I am hoping that this VP is a good conservative as well as someone who is interesting. I’m hoping Palin.

jencab on August 18, 2008 at 3:05 PM

This Christian wouldn’t.

jgapinoy on August 18, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Ken Blackwell? As for Sebelius, let’s hope so. That will cause the PUMAs’ heads to explode and they’ll all vote McCain in November.

Kafir on August 18, 2008 at 3:11 PM

SaintOlaf on August 18, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Dude, let it go. First of all, he couldn’t even win over Evangelicals in the primaries. How is he going to win over moderates and non-Republicans? Second of all, he’s not even expecting it.

amerpundit on August 18, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Sebelius? zzzzzzzzzzzz…

CP on August 18, 2008 at 3:12 PM

I’ve made up my mind in advance that I will be disappointed by McCain’s veep pick.

pseudonominus on August 18, 2008 at 3:14 PM

I have it on good authority that McCain is going to pick me for veep, don’t ask me how I know, I just have this feeling.

Bishop on August 18, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Ken Blackwell?

ninjapirate on August 18, 2008 at 3:19 PM

The Big Event will be a safe haven for
the few Liberals who make it out alive
from the “UNITY” civil war within the
Democratic Party when it implodes!

After HilRod locks the doors at the
DNConvention in Denver,and calls for
a floor vote,and those that come to
their sense’s will head to McCains
safe zone,and vote Republican!

canopfor on August 18, 2008 at 3:22 PM

Perhaps oiled up, and hiding in a birthday cake…

apollyonbob on August 18, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Guess where Colin Powell Leadership Academy is?

Actually it’s just a small charter school and it doesn’t seem to be doing so well.

ninjapirate on August 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM

SaintOlaf on August 18, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Sorry, this election was his best shot and he couldn’t make the cut after we saw him for what he is. And, 2012 is out,..too many younger, more attractive GOP possibilties. The Huckster will eventually host a nice game show with mediocre ratings.

a capella on August 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Ohio’s pretty close to Michigan and Romney is from Michigan! Time to get some of that Midwest mojo going.

Seriously, I just hope he isn’t in Ohio to name his co-conspirator in the Gang of 14- Mike DeWine.

highhopes on August 18, 2008 at 3:29 PM

I’m going out on a limb, it will be either McCain-Powell or McCain-Whitman.

ninjapirate on August 18, 2008 at 3:30 PM

What’s he getting by way of a present this year? Bobby Jindal?

An artifact from when he was born? A piece of the original automobile?

lorien1973 on August 18, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Don’t know, don’t care. Wake me up when someone decides something.

Somebody wake up Hicks“.

rockhauler on August 18, 2008 at 3:32 PM

SaintOlaf on August 18, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Actually, Hickabee would be the worst possible choice for McCain’s VP.

Vic on August 18, 2008 at 3:33 PM

If Obama’s teleprompter breaks down during his acceptance speech in Denver on Aug. 28, odds are McCain will spend all of the next day’s event answering reporters’ claims that he personally sabotaged the machine.

jon1979 on August 18, 2008 at 3:33 PM

No Boring White Guy!!!
Please!

jgapinoy on August 18, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Your criteria is entirely to shallow for the Republican Party. Do you support affirmative action also?

EJDolbow on August 18, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Actually, Hickabee would be the worst possible choice for McCain’s VP.

Vic on August 18, 2008 at 3:33 PM

And the country.

EJDolbow on August 18, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Bobby Jindal would be a great gift to all of us.

jencab on August 18, 2008 at 3:36 PM

A commenter notes that August 29 happens to be McCain’s birthday.

Brilliant.

Throw a big Birthday party and invite the press. They’d be more than happy to repeatedly point out how ‘young’ you are.

cntrlfrk on August 18, 2008 at 3:37 PM

What’s he getting by way of a present this year? Bobby Jindal?

Its not jindal

William Amos on August 18, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Pawlenty.

Bishop on August 18, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Actually, Hickabee would be the worst possible choice for McCain’s VP.

Vic on August 18, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Worse pick than Lieberman?

highhopes on August 18, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Wow. At least knowing that I share the same birthdate with John McCain takes some of the sting out of knowing it is also Michael Jackson’s birthdate…

rbb on August 18, 2008 at 3:42 PM

cntrlfrk on August 18, 2008 at 3:37 PM

72 candles would cause an awful lot of global warming.

highhopes on August 18, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Worse pick than Lieberman?

highhopes on August 18, 2008 at 3:39 PM

phronesis on August 18, 2008 at 3:45 PM

72 candles would cause an awful lot of global warming.

highhopes on August 18, 2008 at 3:43 PM

Maybe add 72 virgins?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 18, 2008 at 3:45 PM

General Petraeus?

;)

mjk on August 18, 2008 at 3:47 PM

I’d rather a “boring white guy” who is competent than an “exciting” other type of VP candidate that is either less experienced or would provoke a nasty intra-party fight.

Jill1066 on August 18, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Worse pick than Lieberman?

highhopes on August 18, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Yep

Huckabee: US Scarier Than Israel

I tend to think that we, citizens of the United States of America, are at less of a risk for a terrorist attack in our homes. Well, there are bad areas of Detroit…..usually they don’t shoot RPGs or leave IEDs around.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 18, 2008 at 3:52 PM

ninjapirate on August 18, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Why not?

Kafir on August 18, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 18, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Well, once they get rid of Kwame perhaps things will improve. BTW, Detroit doesn’t need IEDs because the pot holes are far more destructive a device!

I think it is probably an theoretical toss up as to who would cost McCain more GOP votes. Lieberman is too liberal on social issues and would certainly drive away some voters. Huckabee simply scares me and I don’t like the way he has become McCain’s spokesperson for “evangelical” voters. I’m an evangelical voter and I WOULD vote for Obama before I put Huckabee in the White House.

highhopes on August 18, 2008 at 4:00 PM

I don’t know if a publicized birthday party is a great idea, that’s a lot of candles.

LevStrauss on August 18, 2008 at 4:06 PM

General Petraeus?

;)

mjk on August 18, 2008 at 3:47 PM

The Petraeus murmurs really bother me because nobody knows what end of the aisle he would come down on for so many issues if he were to become President….nevermind that makes him very similar to McCain.

LevStrauss on August 18, 2008 at 4:09 PM

LevStrauss on August 18, 2008 at 4:06 PM

We’ve finally found the cause of global warming. The Goracle is sure to protest. New scam invention: birthday credits!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 18, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 18, 2008 at 3:52 PM

In general yes, but the greatest terrorist risk in the US is by enviro-greenies. And even when they aren’t blowing up Hummers, they are terrorizing us with high oil prices from rogue nations.

kirkill on August 18, 2008 at 4:12 PM

highhopes on August 18, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Better get ready to vote for your muslim candidate of choice then…Huckabee will be VP!

Accept it and sign up at http://www.barackobama.com I’m sure they could use another name to run money from saudi arabia through..

SaintOlaf on August 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Boehner?

vinman on August 18, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Well, if McCain can get Paris to come out of the birthday cake…. might help!

Vanceone on August 18, 2008 at 4:24 PM

highhopes on August 18, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Nothing could make me vote for Obama. But I feel exactly the same way about Huck.

Shay on August 18, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Jill1066 on August 18, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Sekhmet on August 18, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Jill1066 on August 18, 2008 at 3:47 PM

What if you could have both, and take control of the domestic energy issue to boot?

McCain/Palin ’08

Mr. Wednesday Night on August 18, 2008 at 5:08 PM

McCain/Cavuto?

I’d take Cavuto in a heartbeat.

mikeyboss on August 18, 2008 at 5:39 PM

Mitt! seems to have dropped off the map. I know he went on vacation, but this is ridiculous. Mitt! where are you. Any chance McCain/Mitt!.

Paul-Cincy on August 18, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Unless Jindal’s recent denials were a smokescreen, it looks like Palin vs. Pawlenty in the finals.

Mr. Wednesday Night on August 18, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Hell No – NOT Pawlentry!

Pawlenty’s Record (The Wall Street Journal)

Pawlentry is a global warming alarmist and big government advocate…

“The era of small government is over … government has to be more proactive, more aggressive.” – Tim Pawlenty

“It looks like we should have listened to President Carter” – Tim Pawlenty

“Climate change is real. Human behavior is … responsible. Those who don’t think so are simply not right. We should not spend time on voices that say it’s not real.” – Tim Pawlenty

Romney is the only one with any economic sense or rational energy policy.

Poptech on August 18, 2008 at 11:37 PM

Romney is the only one with any economic sense or rational energy policy.

Poptech on August 18, 2008 at 11:37 PM

You are spot on! More and more, I am seeing Romney as the VP. The VP doesn’t really make much difference in the state they are from. When in the last 12 years has the VP pick been important in winning that person’s state? It is more what they can do for the candidate, nationally and the states. Romney seems that perfect score and I am not a Romney fan.

Neocon Peg on August 19, 2008 at 12:13 AM

pawlenty = weak wishy washy.
Huckabee = wouldnt score enough evangelical votes
Romney= boring stuffed shirt.(wont bring Michigan)
Jindal = too young. already said no. but mainly too young
Palin = adds sizzle to his ticket. PC… steals the womens votes. And is very Pro Drilling in Anwar! her State..
Ridge = seems solid and strong..
Its gotta be Ridge or Pawlin,,