Politico: McCain to name VP on August 29; Update: McCain leaning pro-choice?

posted at 8:50 pm on August 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

In Ohio, on his birthday, as expected. Sounds like Ridge and Liebs are out and Mitt and Pawlenty are in:

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) plans to celebrate his 72nd birthday on Aug. 29 by naming his running mate at a huge rally in the battleground state of Ohio, Republican sources said…

The campaign has begun building a crowd of 10,000 for Dayton, Ohio, according to an organizer. McCain is scheduled to appear with his running mate at a large-scale event in Pennsylvania shortly thereafter.

Senior Republicans are in the dark about who he’ll name, although they say former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty are prime contenders after a trial balloon by McCain gave him very negative feedback about the idea of picking an abortion-rights running mate such as Tom Ridge, the former governor of Pennsylvania and the first secretary of homeland security…

McCain friends emphasized that he talks about the decision with almost no one, and could even change the announcement plans and go sooner.

As noted earlier, the timing is designed to knock Obama’s acceptance speech the night before off the front page, just like this leak to Politico is designed to at least dilute the buzz the NYT piece on Barry O’s VP pick is getting. Time to show your cards again. I say it’s Pawlenty. Predictions?

Update: For what it’s worth, a little birdie tells me Pawlenty might be otherwise engaged that day. Although schedules can, of course, can be changed last-minute to accommodate being named to a national ticket.

Update: Uh oh.

NR has learned that the McCain campaign has been calling key state GOP officials around the country the last couple of days and sounding them out about the consequences of a pro-choice VP pick. The campaign is asking about the reaction of conservative grass-roots activists to such a pick and whether a pro-choicer can be sold to them. This is an indication that the McCain campaign is serious about the possibility of a pro-choice VP nominee and that McCain leaving the door open to Tom Ridge last week may not have been merely a friendly nod to a longtime supporter.

If it’s Ridge, though, why not have the big announcement rally in Pennsylvania and then go to Ohio?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Poptech on August 19, 2008 at 10:27 AM

I agree with you that Rudy would be the only pro-choice guy I would want on the ticket.
But McCain needs to take the bull by the horns. This issue of abortion is resonating strongly among conservatives, Christians, and moderates alike in condemning it. Choosing Palin who instead of aborting a down-syndrome baby, she gave him life. Unlike the one killed in that story of Obama voting against the bill.
She represents pro-life, NRA, women, ANWR, pro-military, and conservatism. She perfect for McCain.

jencab on August 19, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Pawlenty is worse than I thought:

A Big-Government Running Mate for McCain? (Cato Institute)

- Supported government subsidized health care for all children as the first step toward universal health insurance, and opposed President Bush’s veto of a Democratic bill that would have expanded the State Children’s Health Insurance program (SCHIP) to families earning as much as $83,000 per year

- Supports Massachusetts-style health care reform, including a “health care exchange” and an individual mandate

- Has called for banning all prescription drug advertizing, and seeks government imposed price controls for drugs offered through Medicare

- Proposed a $4000 per child preschool program for low-income children

- Pushed a statewide smoking ban smoking ban in workplaces, restaurants and bars

- Increased the state’s minimum wage

- Imposed some of the most aggressive and expensive renewable energy mandates in the country

- Was an ardent supporter of the farm bill

- Received only a “C” ranking on Cato’s 2006 Governor’s Report Card, finishing below such Democrats as Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack and tied with Democratic Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell

Poptech on August 19, 2008 at 10:49 AM

This election, no matter who wins, conservatives lose big time.

MadisonConservative on August 19, 2008 at 10:55 AM

If it’s Mitt, Lieberman or Ridge…Mccain will lose because many Christians will sit it out or vote for Baldwin.

Mike Huckabee is his best choice…if not, he MAY be able to hold the evangelical vote if he goes with someone neutral like Pawlenty or even Lyndsey Graham.

If it’s Mitt, Lieberman, Ridge or Crist….forget about it.

SaintOlaf on August 19, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Palin is also a decent choice

SaintOlaf on August 19, 2008 at 10:58 AM

SaintOlaf on August 19, 2008 at 10:56 AM

I find that very hard to believe.

And if McCain chooses Huckabee, then I might just be tempted to move into the “let Obama win so we can try again in 4 years” HA splinter group.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 10:59 AM

I have started to like McCain but if he picks a pro abortion vp, I will not vote for him, period!

sabbott on August 19, 2008 at 10:59 AM

This election, no matter who wins, conservatives lose big time.
MadisonConservative on August 19, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Translation:

“I will not buy this record, it is scratched.”

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 10:59 AM

The president sets the policy, sabbott. Not the VP.

FYI.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 11:00 AM

The president sets the policy, sabbott. Not the VP.

FYI.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Uh, VP becomes President if the Pres. is incapacitated or killed… or dies…

Face it, as healthy as he is, McCain is still pretty dang old… his VP pick is more important to the election IMO than Obamas.

Romeo13 on August 19, 2008 at 11:08 AM

We will see what Evangelicals do regardless of who McCain chooses when they are in the voting booth and see Obama on the Ballot. Evangelicals have no serious problems with McCain especially now that he is locked on their only issue.

I think it is time for McCain to address every other issue conservatives are worried about.

Poptech on August 19, 2008 at 11:09 AM

And if the president and VP are out of the picture, then Nancy Pelosi will be the president. We live in troubled times. The whole ‘John McCain is old’ crap should be left to the moonbats.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Translation:

“I will not buy this record, it is mislabeled.”

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Fixed it for ya.

MadisonConservative on August 19, 2008 at 11:14 AM

That’s not in my English-Hungarian-MadisonConservative phrasebook!

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 11:19 AM

If its Ridge the elections over all ready. I won’t even vote. A pro choice Bush administration official. C’mon.

eski502 on August 19, 2008 at 11:29 AM

The president sets the policy, sabbott. Not the VP.

FYI.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Duh! A President of The United States of America sends a strong message by the people he selects for his administration starting with his pick for VP! If McCain picks a Pro Abortion candidate, he will be sending a strong signal to people like me who are Anti-Abortion that he isn’t serious about this issue! By voting for McCain I would be forced to also vote for a Pro Abortion candidate as his VP which I will not do…EVER!

sabbott on August 19, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Bill Clinton picked environmentalist Al Gore to be his VP. So what global warming initiatives did Clinton make into law.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 11:47 AM

And if you are a one issue voter, and won’t lower yourself to support a ‘pro-abortion ticket’, then I hope that there are fewer like you out there, who wait for a pure ticket and allow the greater and more dangerous enemy(the democrats) to prevail.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 11:48 AM

The whole ‘John McCain is old’ crap should be left to the moonbats.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Oh Good Grief! You aren’t honestly suggesting that age isn’t a factor when considering the election of a 72-year-old, are you? John McCain is old and health is going to be a discussion point in the general election so you might as well face that point instead of dismissing the topic as inconsequential.

highhopes on August 19, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Starlink on August 19, 2008 at 11:11 AM

As a Christian, I’m not big on Romney’s faith. As a voter, I’m not electing a religious leader. I support Romney as the best choice and the man who should have been at the top of the GOP ticket instead of the political Judas who slithered his way to the top of the heap by all the infighting between the conservative candidates.

highhopes on August 19, 2008 at 11:53 AM

The same democrats cited Ronald Reagan’s age. Yes. Leave it to the moonbats.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 11:53 AM

highhopes on August 19, 2008 at 11:48 AM

…so, in 1980 everyone was talking about George Bush, not Ronald Reagan?

MadisonConservative on August 19, 2008 at 11:54 AM

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 11:53 AM

You know good and well that citing the fact that Reagan was 69 when he took office isn’t going to put this matter to rest- especially if McCain picks an unknown and inexperienced VP. Voters want to be reassured that their government is in good hands. A 72-year-old candidate needs to go out of his/her way to prove they are up to the task and that, God forbid, there is a good backup if something happens

highhopes on August 19, 2008 at 11:59 AM

FOUNTAIN HILLS, Arizona (CNN) Fri May 23, 2008 — A team of doctors from the Mayo Clinic declared Friday that there appears to be no physical reason why Sen. John McCain, the 71-year-old presumed Republican presidential candidate, could not carry out the duties of the office.

“Sen. McCain enjoys excellent health and displays extraordinary energy, and, while it is impossible to predict any person’s future health, I and my colleagues can find no medical reason or problem that would preclude Sen. McCain from fulfilling all of the duties or obligations of the president of the United States,” said Dr. John D. Eckstein, an internist who has been overseeing McCain’s treatment for 16 years at the famed research center’s campus in Scottsdale, Arizona.

You’re welcome.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 12:03 PM

MadisonConservative on August 19, 2008 at 11:54 AM

You aren’t honestly comparing Ronald Reagan to the political Judas at the top of the GOP ticket, are you? All I said was age is a factor that is going to be part of the general election as is Obama’s inexperience. It does no good to deny that this issue isn’t going to come up and counter it now as Reagan did in 1984 with:

“I want you to know that also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent’s youth and inexperience.”

I find it hard to believe that McCain has it in him to respond with that kind of humor and class.

highhopes on August 19, 2008 at 12:05 PM

You’re welcome.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 12:03 PM

For what? I will repeat since comprehension clearly isn’t your forte. You can post all the statements from doctors you want but McCain’s age and health is still going to be an issue of discussion during the general election (as it was in Reagan’s campaigns). There is nothing controversial about that statement and there is no way that you can refute the truth of it.

highhopes on August 19, 2008 at 12:15 PM

You can post all the statements from doctors you want but McCain’s age and health is still going to be an issue of discussion ..
highhopes on August 19, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Yeah! Those irrelevant doctors and their high faloutin’ fancy scientific medical tests! They don’t know nutthin!! Do they!?

No they don’t!!/

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 12:18 PM

at least it won’t be Huckabee.

Romney is a good guy, and he won’t chase away the evangelicals (I’m belong to a very large church full of evangelicals, and I know the vast majority will vote McCain/Romney), but it might chase away a few
quasi-Christians that are bigoted.

kirkill on August 19, 2008 at 12:22 PM

I’m belong – sheesh, how long you be for dis country?

kirkill on August 19, 2008 at 12:23 PM

highhopes on August 19, 2008 at 12:05 PM

If your problem with the political Judas is his AGE, then yes, I’ll compare them. Try an issue or policy position.

MadisonConservative on August 19, 2008 at 12:33 PM

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 12:18 PM

The doctors statements don’t matter. Age is going to come up as a factor. Why is this so hard for you to comprehend? The actual facts don’t matter as much as the perception. McCain is old and it will be an issue brought up by Obama’s campaign if not the candidate himself.

I can’t believe you don’t understand this.

highhopes on August 19, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Yeah, listen to Madison Conservative. It’s not his age, it’s that he’s a JUDAS MC TRAITOR!!!!/

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 12:36 PM

The President’s primary responsiblity is the defense of Americans, both prior to and after birth. If the VP won’t do that then what’s the point?

Gaunilon on August 19, 2008 at 12:37 PM

And what is the solution when presented with a Judas McTraitor as the republican nominee? Why, diss him at every turn, and stand by and do nothing as the democrat Obama wins the presidency. See? Makes perfect sense. McCain betrayed us by compromising with the democrats. So the best course of action is to throw the election and give it to a democrat.

Do you get the logic yet?

How about the irony?

Give the whitehouse to the democrat …. to punish the RINO who gave things to the democats.

Understand? Has this version of logic sunk in? Because I can repeat it a few more times if you haven’t gotten it yet.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Anyone else wondering who the real traitors are yet?

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 12:43 PM

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 11:47 AM

1996, Vetoed a bill that would allow drilling in ANWR.

kirkill on August 19, 2008 at 12:46 PM

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 12:36 PM

I didn’t call him a traitor, and my use of the phrase “political Judas” was mimicry of highhopes having used in the the quote I included. Try not to lie about what I say.

MadisonConservative on August 19, 2008 at 12:47 PM

ANWR is about oil, not global warming, kirkill.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 12:49 PM

MadisonConservative on August 19, 2008 at 12:47 PM

OIC, I see that at 12:33 PM you said “political judas,” not traitor. Because these two words are completely different.

My most sincere and humble apologies/

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Conflate all you want, it doesn’t mean jack. And I repeat, I was using the language I quoted:

highhopes on August 19, 2008 at 12:05 PM

So stop lying about what I say.

MadisonConservative on August 19, 2008 at 12:53 PM

ANWR is about oil, not global warming, kirkill.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 12:49 PM

So why do the Goracles want to stop oil production? Because oil is about global warming, to them.

kirkill on August 19, 2008 at 12:59 PM

I lied about what you said? I didn’t quote you. Your comment is up the page for all to read. You said Political Judas. And if you say “political judas” and Judas was a traitor and I add ‘traitor’ to a comment that doesn’t quote you, then you get upset that I am somehow lying about what you said. Political Judas.

Have another cup of coffee, and think about what I said at 12:42 PM.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Sorry to bring it up, but John’s a Virgo…that makes sense.
Well, I’d take an old nit-picker over a puerile ego-centered Leo any day.

Christine on August 19, 2008 at 1:26 PM

I lied about what you said? I didn’t quote you.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 1:21 PM

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Though I must say, your Obama-like ability for spin is unwavering.

MadisonConservative on August 19, 2008 at 1:29 PM

David Brooks, on cue with Obama, passing off “This isn’t the McCain I thought I knew” critique misses his own mark. McCain didn’t get coined “Maverick” by the Democrats, and owes them nothing. If anything, they owe McCain big time on legislative compromises and bipartisan leadership.

If, indeed, McCain was coined “Maverick” for being unpredictable on the bipartisan diplomacy, then so he remains as core conservatives fret over the Lieberman VP rumor. If, indeed, McCain was coined “Maverick” for doing things as he sees fit, come hell or high water, then perhaps so he remains.

Only the strongest willed man can withstand the pressures to dilute the Constitution’s absolute strengths into his own selfish revision into veritas possimus wishy washy possible truth that may possibly not be true. Obama, “for example, as a matter of fact” LIAR has been molded into the malleable nothingman to represent his Uberglobal Marxist Lords as their token figurehead puppet Weltkaiser.

The tell on just how “Maverick” the McCain is rests on how CONSERVATIVE President McCain is, BEGINNING WITH HIS VP AND CABINET. Therein will be McCain’s genius. Otherwise, McCain as a progressive is just another pimp.

maverick muse on August 19, 2008 at 1:34 PM

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 1:21 PM

You just like causing problems, don’t you?

highhopes on August 19, 2008 at 1:38 PM

MadisonConservative on August 19, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Yeah, that’s not quoting you. If I ‘quoted you,’ then I would put “quotes” around what you said. But I didn’t do that. But enough of your attempts to go off-topic. I’m not going to re-answer your same question for the fourth time.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Check it…

davenp35 on August 19, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Romney by a hair.

SouthernGent on August 18, 2008 at 10:35 PM

Romney because of the hair. It’s all about the hair.

/jk

eanax on August 19, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Lindsey Graham or bust.

THE CHOSEN ONE on August 19, 2008 at 12:58 AM

Lord, I hope not…

eanax on August 19, 2008 at 4:02 PM

McCain will choose one of the following:

A) Joe Lieberman – Because McCain’s a “maverick” and Joe is someone he knows and trusts. Joe is somewhat of a maverick himself. McCain can say, “See, Joe used to be on your side but you’ve gone so far off the deep-end, he had to leave your party because it no longer represents rational and common sense solutions to the problems we face. And I’m glad to have a man or character and integrity like Joe Lieberman on my team.”

B) Tom Ridge – A former Governor and a veteran, and he’s also someone that McCain trusts.

C) Rudy Giuliani – America’s Mayor, a skilled leader and effective manager of people and of any issue of which he’s given responsibility. Would be ready to take charge at a moment’s notice.

D) Mitt Romney – Another former Governor, accomplished businessman, a man who really understands econmics, and a man who would be an excellent successor and, like Rudy, would be ready to lead and take charge at a moment’s notice.

eanax on August 19, 2008 at 4:18 PM

What’s your preference on those, eanax?

In order, I’d like to see Romney. And if not him, then Giuliani, then Lieberman, then Ridge. Pretty much for the reasons you gave. Is that list in order of what you’d like?

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 4:23 PM

If its not Romney, It’ll be Pallin or someone who hasen’t been mentioned at all.

That said, if he’s stupid enough to go pro choice, he should at least make it Liebs. At least that would make the dems look bad. Ridge would be a pointless pick.

eski502 on August 19, 2008 at 4:30 PM

My most sincere and humble apologies/

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 12:50 PM

highhopes on August 19, 2008 at 12:05 PM

MadisonConservative on August 19, 2008 at 12:33 PM

See wise_man? Please stop twisting his words.

Also, about McCain possibly picking a pro-abort running mate, yes I would still consider McCain a better choice than Obama. However, this could have lasting consequences in that from now on, it will be considered acceptable for Republican presidential candidates to be pro-”choice”. That almost seems more damaging than Obama’s four years (I don’t think there’s any way Obama could possibly get eight.) And by the way, there’s a reason so many people are “one issue voters” on the topic of abortion – when abortion kills so many more than anything else ever has, it’s a pretty major issue. I can show the statistics if you want.

In short, if McCain chooses a pro-”choice” running mate, I don’t know who I’ll support. I certainly won’t support Obama or Barr, but nothing else is certain at that point.

OneGyT on August 19, 2008 at 5:06 PM

What’s your preference on those, eanax?

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 4:23 PM

I honestly don’t have a preference. The list is just a group I think that are realistic choices for McCain based on who has been cited as possible VP picks.

eanax on August 19, 2008 at 5:22 PM

highhopes on August 19, 2008 at 11:48 AM

He’ll be 76 at the end of his 1st term. Even while we’re extending retirement past age 65, that *is* pretty darn old. I’d have a real problem voting for a 76 year old. Have to draw the line somewhere.

Paul-Cincy on August 19, 2008 at 10:43 PM

I’d take a 90 year-old McCain as president before I’d take Obama no matter what the age.

To borrow a book title from Ralph Nader: Obama: Unsafe At Any Age

electric-rascal on August 20, 2008 at 12:31 AM

jencab on August 19, 2008 at 10:48 AM

And those are precisely the reasons Maverick probably wont accept her. Sombody who represents those things is not likley to reach across the aisle.

abcurtis on August 20, 2008 at 8:39 AM

The president sets the policy, sabbott. Not the VP.

FYI.

wise_man on August 19, 2008 at 11:00 AM

I dont care. If Maverick picks a pro-abortion VP that tells me maybe he isnt really serious about his so-called pro-life stand. It certainly makes me question it.
And yes, I will vote Baldwin before I vote for Ridge, Mitt or Lieberman. And that’s how it is. Matter of fact, I’ve been considering the Constitution Party since 06. Their platform is at least in line with what I believe.

abcurtis on August 20, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Poptech on August 19, 2008 at 11:09 AM

And just what is OUR ONLY issue? We have quite a few issues – defending the unborn is only one of them.

abcurtis on August 20, 2008 at 8:47 AM

but it might chase away a few
quasi-Christians that are bigoted.

kirkill on August 19, 2008 at 12:22 PM

And it might chase away those of us who dont trust Romney to be who and what he says he is, his religion not withstanding.
I never believed Romney. His turn toward pro-life and pro-gun came at a pretty convenient time – when he wanted to be president. I have problems with someone calling themselves convervative who has been elected governor in America’s most liberal state. Romney’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

abcurtis on August 20, 2008 at 8:53 AM