Obama referring to Bush now as “John McCain’s president”; Update: Video added

posted at 6:25 pm on August 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

Sufficiently noteworthy that the AP flagged it in the lede, although I’m suspicious of the fact that they didn’t give us the whole quote.

So much for hugging in church. A day after Barack Obama and John McCain exchanged an embrace during a faith forum at a California megachurch, Obama called the U.S. economy a disaster thanks to “John McCain’s president, George W. Bush,” and chided his Republican rival’s campaign team for trying to make him look unpatriotic and weak.

Media Blog’s less than amused to find the candidate of Hopenchange pulling tired shadow-government rhetoric from Ace’s Little Leftwing Book of Civil Political Discourse, but we are after all talking about a guy with his own presidential seal. This reminds me of when Democrats go abroad to commiserate with enemy leaders in that I’m never sure what the proper response is: Tit for tat, or take the high road? Complaining about it doesn’t do any good, but “let’s see how you like it when we do it” seems vastly worse. Exit question: How do you solve this problem? Besides, of course, putting Obama on the spot by asking him to tell us who “his” president is.

Update: No, the AP didn’t take him out of context. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I started out thinking I could vote for this guy.

Now I’m close to detesting every utterance from his lying lips.

Way to bring us all together LightWorkerWeight.

Typhoon on August 18, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Would it be too harsh to refer to Barry as Bill Ayers’s favorite?

a capella on August 18, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Heh. paging that idiot Kirbyjohn Caldwell. Kirbyjohn, call on line one.

funky chicken on August 18, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Idiocy must be a progressive disease because Obama becomes a bigger idiot as each day passes.

rplat on August 18, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono?

JiangxiDad on August 18, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Last time I looked Bush was President of the United States. Barack Obama is in the United States therefore Bush is Obama’s President.

TooTall on August 18, 2008 at 6:31 PM

William Ayers’s protege, Barack Obama.

funky chicken on August 18, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Do you think anyone actually will?

nailinmyeye on August 18, 2008 at 6:32 PM

This guy has the nerve to accuse McCain of poor associations?

Hunt035 on August 18, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Wait, did Obama just cop to not being and American citizen?

;-) I keed, I keed

funky chicken on August 18, 2008 at 6:32 PM

BTW has the Obama mccain comment there

William Amos on August 18, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Well, it’s all the man has isn’t it. Even when his own Party suggests that he needs a platform, this is the closest he can come. In any other world, at any other time this man would be laughed at and ridiculed out of the running. Instead, large numbers of the population are actually taking this jester seriously.

jeanie on August 18, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Oh, Bush isn’t Obama’s president…I see.

surrounded on August 18, 2008 at 6:33 PM

I would like to see the whole quote as well. It seems that Obama is part of the “not my president” club.

TooTall on August 18, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Well, that should be the case. This reminds me of Jim Webb’s confrontation with Bush, when Bush asked him about his boy(Son in the military). “That’s between me and my boy!” he replied. Seems like Obama has an attitude about Bush that’s not very far from Webb’s.

wise_man on August 18, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Well what do you expect when Obama’s President was Jimmy Carter and his Senator was Robert Byrd…

Skywise on August 18, 2008 at 6:34 PM

It’s just lame. The only people who buy into the McCain=Bush crap are people who are definitely voting for Obama – if they can put the bong down long enough to go to the polling place.

forest on August 18, 2008 at 6:35 PM

I think we can safely add class and maturity to the things above Barry’s pay grade.

Chuck Schick on August 18, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Anyone do a victory lap around the blogosphere the day after Bush won a second term? If you did, you know exactly what your average Dem thinks about voters and Americans in general.

Obama doesn’t think much of you either…especially all you clingy people.

Asher on August 18, 2008 at 6:38 PM

We know who Obama belongs to. Where is the ole ball-n-chain anyway? Somebody’s negatives must be quite high to have kept her home baking cookies for weeks.

Marcus on August 18, 2008 at 6:38 PM

“Barack Obama’s President”: Jimmy Carter

Cicero43 on August 18, 2008 at 6:38 PM

forest on August 18, 2008 at 6:35 PM

… Even more amusing is the McCain=Worse than Obama people, but I digress.

wise_man on August 18, 2008 at 6:39 PM

So in the same speech he complains about being called unpatriotic, he talks about Bush as though he isn’t his president.

I couldn’t make that up.

Esthier on August 18, 2008 at 6:39 PM

So……Obama isn’t an American citizen?

ctmom on August 18, 2008 at 6:40 PM

You know what Obama sounds like…………………?

“…………… WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!”

Seven Percent Solution on August 18, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Well, I’ll take that over Barack Obama, “Louis Farrakhan’s candidate”, or “Jeremiah Wright’s candidate”, or “Tony Rezko’s candidate.”

drjohn on August 18, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Great, he’s publicly aligning with the idiots who have the “HE’S NOT MY PRESIDENT!” stickers on their hippie vans.

BTW, Barack, why do you pronounce Afghanistan in the usual Aff-gann-i-stan, but then call Pakistan “Pocky Stahn”??

innominatus on August 18, 2008 at 6:44 PM

As you alluded to in the post, the best way to deal with it is to continue mocking him for having his own Presidential Seal, among other things. If Bush is McCain’s president, it’s pretty obvious that Obama is already Obama’s president.

Big S on August 18, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Robert Mugabe?

rbj on August 18, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Did Obama renounce his citizenship?

davenp35 on August 18, 2008 at 6:46 PM

I do think that is how the liberals see our country. So when they talk about unity, they are talking about acting like Americans first. Of course, that’s as empty a promise as Russia promising to pull out of Georgia.

Spirit of 1776 on August 18, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Be

Check the embroidery on the throne of his airplane.

innominatus on August 18, 2008 at 6:46 PM

I called the Obama campaign and asked who Mr. Obama’s president is. The campaign volunteer told me he couldn’t speak on behalf of Senator Obama, and that he had no comment.

Uh HUH!

Should have asked what the other seven states are…

psrch on August 18, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Standard mau-mau. They’ve been doing it since 2000 when their boy Gore lost. Obama is just pumping up the base to counteract their belief he was a miserable failure at Warren’s forum.

His campaign must be getting some really depressing e-mails from his base to start going this negative and devisive so soon. I’m starting to wonder now if McCain will top Reagan’s landslide victories. :-)

Dusty on August 18, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Hey, Genius. George Bush is your President too.

mjk on August 18, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Did Obama renounce his citizenship?

davenp35 on August 18, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Can a “citizen of the world” do that?

DfDeportation on August 18, 2008 at 6:48 PM

I think that the AP made one of the most accurate statements ever written. President Bush and John McCain are so close on every issue it looks like they were twins seperated by birth. In fact, I think we could all agree that President Bush used Senator McCain as a sock puppet during his administration. Can anyone cite ANY examples of where the two disagreed?

Oh wait a second. Is that an avalanche I hear?

Mormon Doc on August 18, 2008 at 6:48 PM

This is one of the lib tactics that makes me so mad! I deal with it on my local newspaper blogs all the time with the idiots saying, ‘Your President this’ and ‘Your President that’. My first response is always always “What is YOUR President’s name?”

Never once had an answer.

dish on August 18, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Does a “Citizen of the World” really have a President?

saltydogg14 on August 18, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Bush is my president too you arrogant, affirmative-action activist, ass.

carbon_footprint on August 18, 2008 at 6:56 PM

By the way, 150 years from now George W. Bush will be known and revered while Obama will be infamous as being the biggest hype of the entire presidential election history.
A footnote at that.
A big nothing.
Loser.

carbon_footprint on August 18, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Can`t say it any better than that.

ThePrez on August 18, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Typhoon on August 18, 2008 at 6:28 PM

Glad you’ve seen the light.

Robert Mugabe?

rbj on August 18, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Raila Odinga?

AZCoyote on August 18, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Bush. The president for the rest of us.

“Louise! Where’s my president? Where’d you put him?”

“I ain’t touched yer damn president. Why don’t you git up off’n yer lazy ass and find him yerself?”

“I can’t dadgumit, I’m in the middle of a clinging frenzy with my guns and religion. Honey… PLEASE!”

Immolate on August 18, 2008 at 7:11 PM

So I take it Obama answers to no one then? He’s a man without a country but trying run ours?

Guardian on August 18, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Barack Obama is an arrogant man.

carbon_footprint on August 18, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Let’s just hope that in November, John McCain will be George W. Bush’s President (and Senator Obama’s too).

AZCoyote on August 18, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Loooooooooser!

Winners never whine about much of anything much less about loooooooosers cheating.

Rev. Wright, Tony Rezko, William Ayers, Screwy Loui Farrakan, John Edwards, Weasley Clark.

dhunter on August 18, 2008 at 7:19 PM

AZCoyote on August 18, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Naw, Obama can pack up his circus side show and move to Germany…Or France…I hear they really like him over there.

BigWyo on August 18, 2008 at 7:20 PM

What economic disaster? I’m making more than ever. As is everyone I know. Where are the bread lines? If BO wins raises your taxes and socializes the energy industry as well as health care, then we will see a disaster.

ronsfi on August 18, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Would it be too harsh to refer to Barry as Bill Ayers’s favorite?

a capella on August 18, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Harsh? Hell no. We already know for a fact that Barry is Bill Ayer’s candidate. And let’s not forget that he’s Jodi Evans’ candidate too.

Rah Rah.

Buy Danish on August 18, 2008 at 7:20 PM

I started out thinking I could vote for this guy.

Typhoon on August 18, 2008 at 6:28 PM

I myself was suckered in by his `04 speech. I thought if there had to be a democrat in the White House, I could go for him. To qoute Glenn Beck: “Now, not so much.”

ThePrez on August 18, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Scheduled on FoxNews at 7 (CST) tonight:

2008 Presidential Character, Conduct – Interviews with Sen. Barack Obama’s colleagues, friends and critics explore his character and conduct.
LOL how can they fill an hour with that?

carbon_footprint on August 18, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Shouldn’t that be: John McCain’s el Presidente, Jorge W. Bush?

alphie on August 18, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Let’s just hope that in NovemberJanuary, John McCain will be George W. Bush’s President (and Senator Obama’s too).

Fixed it for you.

Immolate on August 18, 2008 at 7:29 PM

putting Obama on the spot by asking him to tell us who “his” president is.

I would love to see that.

CP on August 18, 2008 at 7:29 PM

So would 9% Pelosi be Baracky’s speaker of the house?

Bishop on August 18, 2008 at 7:34 PM

..and chided his Republican rival’s campaign team for trying to make him look unpatriotic and weak.

Pfft. MaCain doesn’t need to help Obama in this. Obama does all that just fine all by himself.

Yakko77 on August 18, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Oh wait a second. Is that an avalanche I hear?

Mormon Doc on August 18, 2008 at 6:48 PM

funny!

funky chicken on August 18, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Ah, Alphie, the fly at the picnic..nothing better to do than eat $hit and bother people…

Keep it up zipper head…..

BigWyo on August 18, 2008 at 7:38 PM

As I have been thinking that his stuttering belies his unwillingness to let us know what he really thinks, he shows us what he truly thinks.

He is not merely left-wing or liberal, he is hard-left, as left as you can get.

And the stuttering and standard soft-left bullsh!t answers are erected to keep us from finding this out.

benrand on August 18, 2008 at 7:38 PM

O! just keeps coming up with more, better lines every day. Time to make more popcorn. Especially if Fay comes through here, tomorrow.

JimK on August 18, 2008 at 7:45 PM

I remember when Dick Armey was mercilessly hammered for calling Bill Clinton “your president” in a speech in the House floor. Democrats acted like he had just called them all the devils’ spawn or something. The editorial pages all over the country went ballistic. I expect the same level of outrage now. /sarcasm off

rockmom on August 18, 2008 at 7:54 PM

I might add that it is really funny to watch Democrats flailing away at the ephemeral remains of George W. Bush. Obama really is showing that he has nothing to offer America in comparison to John McCain. His only hope is to make America think he is running against Bush, but I think it’s a little late for that.

rockmom on August 18, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Who is Barack Obama’s President?

EJDolbow on August 18, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Being president is above Obama’s pay grade.

pedestrian on August 18, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Obama has more Americans supporting him than McCain, mom.

Or aren’t Obama supporters real Americans?

alphie on August 18, 2008 at 7:59 PM

I don’t know about all of you, but I’m having a grand ol’ time watching the Marx-iah self-destruct. The news tonite played clips of Obama talking about McCain’s ads, and getting his crowd to applaud was like pulling teeth from an angry alligator. The Chosen One looks weak, very weak — and his signature lines are old and played out.

Gone are the soaring rhetoric, fainting masses, and uplifting hopechange-i-ness. All that’s left is a lot of whining and foot-in-mouth-i-ness.

I’m still standing by my prediction that Hillary will be the Dem nominee. I’m starting to think that the whole “suspension” of her campaign was merely a ploy to both let Obama implode and for her to stop hemorrhaging money.

Rove Rodham you magnificent bastard! :-P

(reaches for the popcorn)

Harpazo on August 18, 2008 at 8:07 PM

Obama has more Americans supporting him than McCain, mom.

Or aren’t Obama supporters real Americans?

alphie on August 18, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Down substantially from a month ago. Too bad there’s over 2 months for him to name off all the things that are above the little tyke’s pay grade.

And Obama should have more support- first man since Nixon to try to buy himself the election. He should be trouncing the old man right now, if he werent so intent on saying idiotic things in public.

Chuck Schick on August 18, 2008 at 8:08 PM

I always thought the people that kept saying Obama wasn’t eligible to be President because he wasn’t a citizen looked pretty silly, but darned if Obambi didn’t just come out and confirm it. My apologies.

RW_theoriginal on August 18, 2008 at 8:10 PM

So, who is Barack’s president? Putin? I hear that Pravda is putting out the word that Georgia picked on Russia and started that whole pissin match just to help out Cheney and get McCain elected because Obama is not a warmonger. or something.

That is right, even the Ruskies heart Obama.

I do not know what you say other than the fact that Bush is the president of the United States, the American people gave him that job. If Obama does not like that he can always pack up and move. Don’t let the door hit in the ass on your way out, honey.

And Bush does not deserve a lot of the crap he gets from the left or the right. This bozo completely overlooks the fact that he has done absolutely nothing as Senator to address any of these so called awful problems we have. Not a thing. Unless of course flapping your gums counts.

Terrye on August 18, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Obama is Al Qaeda’s president.

Mojave Mark on August 18, 2008 at 8:12 PM

alphie:

The election has not happened yet, so I would not be so sure who has more Americans supporting him. One thing is for sure, if he wins and he just might pull it off. He will be my president. Like it or not. I would not say otherwise. That would be disrespectful to the office. It would also show a disrepect for the American voter.

Terrye on August 18, 2008 at 8:14 PM

I’m dumbfounded. Obama could have won this so easily. Can liberals just not help themselves?

JohnJ on August 18, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Well right now you would have a hard time convincing my son that there is crisis in the economy. He is the Customer Service Manager at a high end retail store in MA, he needed two new employees. He has hired one but everyone who has set up an interview with him hasn’t bothered to show up. It would be a decent opportunity of a young person. Crazy.

Cindy Munford on August 18, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Harpazo on August 18, 2008 at 8:07 PM

Yeah, but I’m sure that having his oh-so personable and wonderful spouse ‘Introduce’ him at their convention will set everything straight….

I just wonder how’s she’s going to come off after 3 months of intense hypnotherapy. I mean 8 hours a day constantly hearing ‘You Don’t Hate America, You Don’t Hate America’ is going to leave a mark.

BigWyo on August 18, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Well, since this flaming, worthless a-hole will never be my President, no matter how many jackasses cast votes for him next fall, I guess that’s fair.

And if by some tragedy this complete pile of garbage does get elected, we need to start trying to impeach him and throw him out of office, the very moment.

NoDonkey on August 18, 2008 at 8:17 PM

People forget that for all the money Obama has raised, he as of yet has not managed to do something that Bush has done twice: win the White House. And I am not sure that even hundreds of millions of dollars will get Obama there.

Terrye on August 18, 2008 at 8:18 PM

About one third of Americans are racists, guys.

Obama started this race as big underdog…yet he’s led in every single national poll.

What’s wrong with Fudge Haus McCain?

Recycling the Rove/Bush gutter politics just isn’t doing the right a lick of good this time around.

Y’all could always try pointing out what McCain is for…hahahahahaha.

alphie on August 18, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Cindy:

I think it has a lot to do with where you are. Now, if your son was in Ohio or Michigan he might have all kinds of people showing up.

The truth is the Democrats will just keep telling people things suck until most people believe it..and then when and if the Democrat wins things will magically improve and we will all be singing Happy Days are Here Again.

Terrye on August 18, 2008 at 8:21 PM

alphie:

Racist? Oh I see, your guy has a problem and all of a sudden we are talking racism.

And yet you are the name caller here. Fudge Haus McCain???, how stupid is that?

So, even in a year when Democrats should be doing well your guy manages to lose 12 out of the last 15 primaries in his own party and is doing well to poll higher than the margin of error. Not exactly comforting.

Terrye on August 18, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Gutter politics my behind. Obama looks bad on a forum, the other guy cheated. Obama is not way ahead in the poll, a third of Americans are racists…now there is gutter politics for you. Defensive, knee jerk, demagoguery. That is what you are peddling alphie.

Terrye on August 18, 2008 at 8:26 PM

Sorry, B.O., but he’s YOUR President, MY President, and EVERY AMERICAN’s president.

You may not like him, but that doesn’t change the facts.

B.O. is sounding more like a whiney five year old every day. How old are his kids? Is he learning from them? (Should be the other way around).

desertdweller on August 18, 2008 at 8:28 PM

About one third of Americans are racists, guys.

Apparently so. What’s a good ol’ nigger-bashin’ white boy to do? Vote McCain, of course.

Simple.

Thanks for pointing it out Alphie. Never would have made the connection without you.

LimeyGeek on August 18, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Terrye on August 18, 2008 at 8:21 PM

I am bummed, we are meeting in Virginia for our Annual Labor Day cookout and now he might not get to go. I am so selfish.

alphie on August 18, 2008 at 8:19 PM

As usual broad sweeping statements. Do you feel that the things you write amount to intellectual and reasoned exchanges. It seems to me that you practice the kind of gutter politics that you whine about. .

Cindy Munford on August 18, 2008 at 8:29 PM

The Democrats are doing well, Terrye…they’re picking up even more seats in the House and the Senate.

Spot McCain the Confederacy and Obama the educated states…just a few states left…and Obama has a slight lead over McCain.

And McCain’s running outta gas.

alphie on August 18, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Obama had better nominate a VP fast for His Presidency.

The Democrats are fools if they nominate this joker instead of Hillary. He really needs to try to lock them in to their risky scheme now or the whole campaign might come crashing down before the convention.

econavenger on August 18, 2008 at 8:35 PM

alphie on August 18, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Do you think you are hurting Southerners feelings? Love the South, wouldn’t live anywhere else. Again trying to be rude and insulting while accusing others of gutter politics. Regular Democratic M.O.

Cindy Munford on August 18, 2008 at 8:36 PM

No-Talent-Assclownland has a President?

Sekhmet on August 18, 2008 at 8:42 PM

And McCain’s running outta gas.

alphie on August 18, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Watch Saturday night again. Drink a beer everytime Obama says uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and a shot everytime he says uuuuuummmmmmmmmmm.

Chuck Schick on August 18, 2008 at 8:45 PM

The point is alphie, that if Democrats are doing all that well Obama should be doing better than he is.

BTW, they are losing some on the generic spread. That might be why they are talking compromise on energy, because they know it is hurting them.

What you ignore alphie is that the blue dogs won the last election for you. My Congressman is one of them. He was a sheriff and he had a lot of money. He is also pro-life, strong on national defense, supports drilling off shore, socially and fiscally conservative. If he were any more conservative he would be a Republican. If they ran someone like Obama in this district he would get creamed.

So yes, some Democrats are doing well and there are more Republicans up for reelection, which places even more of them at risk. But the present leadership in Congress is Democratic and their approval rating is lower than Bush’s. Their tenure has resulted in higher unemployment, higher gas prices and a higher deficit.

Some people might blame them as much as they blame Bush.

Terrye on August 18, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Chuck Schick on August 18, 2008 at 8:45 PM

That’s a surefire way to see the underside of any table ;)

LimeyGeek on August 18, 2008 at 8:46 PM

alphie on August 18, 2008 at 8:29 PM

You think there are no educated people at the University of Virginia, Duke, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Auburn, Loyola, Texas A & M, Purdue, Notre Dame, George Mason, Emory, Rice, etc?

You Democrats are completely incapable of rational thought.

EJDolbow on August 18, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Odinga

So, who is Barack’s president? Putin?

Don’t ruin the one-liners by naming the Prime Ministers.

baldilocks on August 18, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Sure, Terrye.

Cling to that lame bit of propaganda.

McCain’s latest wife has over $100,000,000 in ill-gotten loot to pump into Gigolo Johnnys latest vanity project.

Obama is the underdog…and he’s in the lead.

Hurts, don’t it?

alphie on August 18, 2008 at 8:49 PM

The educated states? God alphie, you have to be a plant? Do you know what the high school drop out rate in cities like LA are?

But hey, go ahead, run some ads. Display some regional snobbery. Insult everyone who disagrees with you. Say crappy things about entire demographics.

Remind people that the better people, the richer people, the more elitist people, will be voting for Obama. While that poor, racist schmucks will be dragging their knuckles to the polling places to vote for the old white guy.

Keep it up and you and your ilk will manage to alienate so many people your guy will have to lose.

How much does Karl Rove pay you for this service?

Terrye on August 18, 2008 at 8:50 PM

William Ayers’s protege, Barack Obama.

funky chicken on August 18, 2008 at 6:31 PM

“From Ayers’ and Dohrn’s State Senator”

Jaibones on August 18, 2008 at 8:51 PM

alphie on August 18, 2008 at 8:49 PM

actually its pretty funny anyone could write such drivel.

right4life on August 18, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Terrye on August 18, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Don’t bother. The Toilet Bug will never respond directly to you. If it does, it’ll just be more steaming crap.

BigWyo on August 18, 2008 at 8:52 PM