NYT: Obama’s picked his VP; Update: Kristol says Sebelius in final three? Update: CNN/Bayh hoax added!

posted at 8:04 pm on August 18, 2008 by Allahpundit

Not since the 30 fateful seconds between Ray Stantz’s brain freeze and the appearance of the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man has the revelation of a secret decision been more anticipated.

Mr. Obama had not notified his choice — or any of those not selected — of his decision as of late Monday, advisers said. Going into the final days, Mr. Obama was said to be focused mainly on three candidates: Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana, Governor Tim Kaine of Virginia and Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr. of Delaware

Mr. Obama’s advisers said he reached his decision while on vacation in Hawaii. They said it marked the end of what proved to be an unexpectedly intense process, condensed because he did not want to start actively vetting potential running mates before Mrs. Clinton quite the race in June. By contrast, Mr. McCain, who had wrapped up the Republican nomination months earlier, began his process in late spring…

The Obama campaign has cautioned against reading anything into his schedule, saying it could be changed in an instant to accommodate the plan to introduce the running mate.

Aides said the announcement would come at the earliest on Wednesday morning, and no later than Friday.

Mr. Obama’s advisers said they wanted to time the announcement to get the maximum publicity going into the convention, after a stretch in which Mr. Obama was on vacation in Hawaii and Mr. McCain made good use of having the political stage largely to himself.

Ed speculated this morning that “maximum publicity” probably means Thursday so that he can carry the buzz over to Friday and then ride it through the weekend. I agree. Okay, kids, time to show your cards: Who will it be? The smart money says Biden, who’s just back from Georgia with a feather in his cap and whose foreign policy advisor, Tony Blinken, was coincidentally “vacationing” last week in … Hawaii. Even so, leaking the names of Bayh, Biden, and Kaine seems odd when Obama’s playing everything else so close to the vest. Almost seems like a deliberate decoy, designed to draw us away from the actual nominee so that when the announcement drops it’ll go off like a nuclear blast. You don’t suppose…

Update: We can probably safely rule out Ed Rendell.

Update: Don’t know where Ace is getting this — probably from the panel on Brit Hume’s show — but evidently Bill Kristol says it’s Kaine, Biden, and Sebelius. Likelihood that BK is simply trying to sow disgruntlement among the Hillary diehards by throwing Sebelius in there: High.

Update: No surprise that a plurality of Democratic delegates prefer Hillary as VP but it is a surprise how small that plurality is — just 28 percent (which is still 22 points better than the runner-up, Joe Biden).

Update: Did CNN spill the beans on Bayh being the pick or did someone doctor a screenshot in Photoshop? You make the call! The Freepers had this too, for what it’s worth, although the source may be the same. Verdict, judging from the misspellings in the CNN “article” and the fact that I never saw this in my RSS reader: Hoax.

Update: Let’s put it this way. It had better be a hoax, because the alternative explanation — that CNN figured out the pick, ran the story, and then scrubbed it to do Obama a solid — would set a new gold standard of what it means to be in the tank for Barry O.

Update: A few more good catches on the Bayh screenshot by the Jed Report. It’s a hoax.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

She Lives!

Cicero43 on August 18, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Obama-Obama ’08

Mike D. on August 18, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Isn’t Kaine the guy that believes Obama’s words bend the universe to his will? I can see where BO’s ego would like to have him around.

Frozen Tex on August 18, 2008 at 8:08 PM

I guess Drudge was not wrong after all.

EJDolbow on August 18, 2008 at 8:09 PM

I want to believe…….

Canadian Infidel on August 18, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Musharraf?

BobH on August 18, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Biden.

Thanks to Putin.

Or maybe Bayh.

Kaine too.

Bold man, brave man, I am.

SteveMG on August 18, 2008 at 8:11 PM

one of his 3 greatest adivsors:

Mother.

Grandmother.

Michelle.

ocbrat on August 18, 2008 at 8:13 PM

Obama-Gozar ’08

Harpazo on August 18, 2008 at 8:14 PM

@ EJDolbow on August 18, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Drudge is never wrong. Drudge knows all.

muyoso on August 18, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Obama is going to pick himself as VP. As he is already the most transformationally awesome messianic god-King ever, he has no need to share the ticket with a lesser being. Obama-Obama ‘08 Mike D. on August 18, 2008 at 8:08 PM

That still leaves one more of him left over for Secretary of State.

Mojave Mark on August 18, 2008 at 8:14 PM

I’m sticking with Sebelius for now.

Big S on August 18, 2008 at 8:16 PM

I also have the lsit of likely Obama cabinet appointments:

State: Obama
Treasury: Obama
DOJ: Obama
Energy: Obama
FEMA: Obama
Defense: Medea Benjamin or Salim Hamdan

Mike D. on August 18, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Biden–and count on him to put his foot in his mouth several times before November.

dedalus on August 18, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Isn’t the more important question, who will Hillary name as her VP when she sweeps to the nomination on the floor of the convention?

Drew on August 18, 2008 at 8:18 PM

You guys are a mile off. I’m sure The Messiah has already let the NYT know it’s between Paul Krugman and Maureen Dowdy.

MrScribbler on August 18, 2008 at 8:18 PM

John the Baptist maybe?

Cicero43 on August 18, 2008 at 8:18 PM

Oh my, if it is Plugs (Biden) or the Waffler (Kerry), it would be a day of laughter.

Kaine is an idiot and Bayh is an arrogant jerk, a la Obama.

jencab on August 18, 2008 at 8:19 PM

It’s going to be McCain. Obama needs someone who’s experienced and well prepared to be VP.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 18, 2008 at 8:19 PM

If he picks anyone of these 3 other than Bayh, game over.

Bayh is the only one of the three with anything close to resembling common sense. I guess we could call him ‘Moe’.

BigWyo on August 18, 2008 at 8:20 PM

so that when the announcement drops it’ll go off like a nuclear blast.

Obama/Alfred E. Newman ’08

mred on August 18, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Obama/Osama ’08

mred on August 18, 2008 at 8:21 PM

I think Gov. Kain should come back out and remark on that Russian withdraw that Sen. Obama demanded. How’s that working for any of us. I don’t want to be rude but I don’t think I give a flying flip who he picks. Is there anyone he could pick that would make us say, “We’re done”.

Cindy Munford on August 18, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Hahaha, love the Stay-Puft reference to set it all up! That’s why Allah’s the man.

JimRich on August 18, 2008 at 8:25 PM

I really want to say that it’s going to be Hillary; that’s the winningest ticket and I’m sure they know it. The only thing about Hillary is that accepting the nomination means potentially being JUST a VP for 8 years, probably eliminating her chance at being Prez.

Like Drew though, I’m inclined to think she’ll steal the nomination.

hisfrogness on August 18, 2008 at 8:29 PM

God bless you Allah, this is why I read Hot Air :>

fiatboomer on August 18, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Kaine.

No way Hillary. She would dominate an Obama Presidency. She and what’s his name…

drjohn on August 18, 2008 at 8:29 PM

I agree with a previous post . . . its got to be Alfred E. Newman. Who else would blend so perfectly with Obama and his gaggle of incompetents.

rplat on August 18, 2008 at 8:29 PM

[Egon is running tests on Louis, who has been possessed by Gozer and is now the Keymaster]

Dr. Egon Spengler: Vinz, you said before you were waiting for a sign. What sign are you waiting for?

Louis: Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

This narrative seemingly fits the current discussion a little to well…

catmman on August 18, 2008 at 8:30 PM

I have to admit, I don’t really care.

Terrye on August 18, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Well since the One needs a lot of help on foreign policy there is only one chose for the One and that one is

but then he might over shadow the One a little too much .

Mojack420 on August 18, 2008 at 8:32 PM

catmman on August 18, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Are you one of my kids? LOL!!!!

Cindy Munford on August 18, 2008 at 8:32 PM

This narrative seemingly fits the current discussion a little to well…

catmman on August 18, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Also, Tim Kaine looks kind of like Mr. Stay-Puft. Someone get him a hat.

fiatboomer on August 18, 2008 at 8:34 PM

I think he’ll choose Bayh. Obama needs someone with “outside” Washington experience, since he’s been trying to slam McCain as being “just another DC politician.” As a Virginian, I’ll laugh my head off if he chooses Kaine. I’ve been saying all along that Mark Warner would be a much better choice than Kaine, but I don’t think Obama ever seriously considered him.

Yossarian on August 18, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Well, she`s already taken over his convention, why not pick Hillary?

ThePrez on August 18, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Imagine what Hillary would do if Baracky picked another woman for his running mate.

By the way, have they ruled out Michelle Obama yet?

EJDolbow on August 18, 2008 at 8:35 PM

If this is accurate, we have three tantalizing choices.

I cannot believe he’d opt for Bayh.

The choice would have to be between Kaine and Biden. Tough call. I’d have to go with Kaine – simply because Biden represents the ‘old white haired establishment’ politics that Obama has striven to differentiate himself from.

LimeyGeek on August 18, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Well, she`s already taken over his convention, why not pick Hillary?

ThePrez on August 18, 2008 at 8:34 PM

he dosnt want to end up like Vince foster

Mojack420 on August 18, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Pleasepleaseplease let it be Jon Cary! hahahaha

No, even Obambi isn’t THAT stupid!

Tony737 on August 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Colin Powell. A long shot, I know. But, the fact that his name popped up in the last couple of weeks in regards to an endorsement or a convention appearance got me thinking in that direction. Otherwise, Biden.

melchitt on August 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM

You don’t suppose…

Who could that be? The one who rides a broom and has the juvenile delinquent husband?

I would put my 2 pesos on Biden at this point.

MB4 on August 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Also, Dick Morris insists Bill and Hillary will take over the convention and get Her Majesty nominated. Although Morris is probably eating LSD-laced Twinkies, stranger things have happened.

fiatboomer on August 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM

EJDolbow on August 18, 2008 at 8:35 PM

Well,,he does admire her the most.

becki51758 on August 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM

LimeyGeek on August 18, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Two guys with about 20 months experience and none of it dealing with foreign affairs?

EJDolbow on August 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Let’s see:
http://www.obamabiden.com/ … maybe, site reserved

http://www.obamabayh.com/ … naw, site taken

http://www.obamakaine.com/ … maybe, site reserved

So, it is either Kaine or Biden

bnelson44 on August 18, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Sebelius? Only if the O-meister has resumed hittin’ the crack pipe.

LimeyGeek on August 18, 2008 at 8:39 PM

O please let it be Kaine.

RushBaby on August 18, 2008 at 8:39 PM

I can’t believe it would be Joe.

Maybe Barry liked the “Clean” comment.

benrand on August 18, 2008 at 8:39 PM

EJDolbow on August 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM

I hear ya….but if they can sell a pantload of fart like Obama, they sure as shit can sell Kaine as veep.

LimeyGeek on August 18, 2008 at 8:40 PM

EJDolbow on August 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM

Yeah, but this is the guy who allowed his campaign to release his own Presidential seal and didn’t realize there aren’t any @^#*$&* Whole Foods in Iowa.

fiatboomer on August 18, 2008 at 8:40 PM

melchitt on August 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM

http://www.obamapowell.com … site reserved… well, I’ll be! I think I looked yesterday and it was taken. Anyway, I would put Powell into a “maybe” column

bnelson44 on August 18, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Kaine.

drjohn on August 18, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Ooooo, but could you just imagine the smarmy, snarkfest that would transpire every time Hillary and Mrs.’I’m just gonna raise my family’were in the same room??

I can picture history books recounting the ‘Slap Fight’ of 09.

BigWyo on August 18, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Jon Cary, Wesley Clark or Colin Powell.

Tony737 on August 18, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Please let it be Biden. I could use the laffs over the next 3 months, if not 4 years.

Jim Treacher on August 18, 2008 at 8:43 PM

http://www.obamasebelius.com/ … maybe, site is reserved

bnelson44 on August 18, 2008 at 8:43 PM

Let it be Biden, so that we in Delaware can be rid of him!

Tony737 on August 18, 2008 at 8:44 PM

Considering the state of world affairs and chosing one of these three, it would have to be the one that stated on a Sunday morning talk show, the weekend after NK launched the six or eight missiles on Independence Day:
We need a meeting with NK and tell them: If there is one missile launched against SK or any US ally, we will annialate you. Then get up and walk out.
Senator Biden.

News2Use on August 18, 2008 at 8:44 PM

Would the Gaffemeister really pick as his VP chronic foot in mouth man Biden? Really?

If the final three choices really are what his own people say then my pick is Kaine.

NotCoach on August 18, 2008 at 8:45 PM

You know what? I’ve already had two beers, and one was 6.8% ABV. He’ll name Sam Nunn, who apparently has forgotten about being a conservative Dem (thus not angering the nutroots) and represented a southern enough state to possibly draw a vote or two. This is assuming Obama is smart enough not to pick doltish Time Kaine or Delaware’s Finest.

fiatboomer on August 18, 2008 at 8:46 PM

I’ve already had two beers, and one was 6.8% ABV

You’re my pick for veep ;)

LimeyGeek on August 18, 2008 at 8:47 PM

How about a poll AP? This seems like the perfect subject for one. Throw up all the rumored names, even Hillary.

NotCoach on August 18, 2008 at 8:48 PM

On the McCain side (not that his campaign is Internet savy):

http://www.mccainpowell.com/ – taken
http://www.mccainridge.com/ – taken
http://www.mccainridge.com/ – hmmm… reserved
http://www.mccainromney.com/ – taken
http://www.mccainpawlenty.com/ – taken

Unless I am misreading what is already “taken”

bnelson44 on August 18, 2008 at 8:48 PM

Jon Cary, Wesley Clark or Colin Powell.

Tony737 on August 18, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Not Wesley

William Amos on August 18, 2008 at 8:48 PM

I think he’ll go for Bayh. Of course my political anlaysis consisted of basically flipping a coin.

aikidoka on August 18, 2008 at 8:48 PM

senor richardson

reliapundit on August 18, 2008 at 8:49 PM

now comes word McCain will name his vp on his birthday

William Amos on August 18, 2008 at 8:40 PM

Well, the http://www.mccainlieberman.com/ site is reserved

bnelson44 on August 18, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Tom Daschle, Ted Kennedy or Jesse Ventura!

Tony737 on August 18, 2008 at 8:51 PM

What difference does it make? When he’s standing in the stadium wondering where his teleprompter went Hillary will be at the convention center accepting the nomination.

/semi sarc

RW_theoriginal on August 18, 2008 at 8:52 PM

From Bill’s link on Clark:

Clark was informed by Barack Obama’s people that there was “no reason to come.”

Aw, dammit! That would’ve been fun!

Tony737 on August 18, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Hopefully its Biden. He’s probably the only person out there more full of himself than Obama.

eski502 on August 18, 2008 at 8:54 PM

IT’S KAINE.

Ali-Bubba on August 18, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Frozen Tex on August 18, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Oh, please, please pick Kaine. The commercial just writes itself.

funky chicken on August 18, 2008 at 8:54 PM

If he picks “Slow Joe” Biden, their joint appearances won’t be able to fit in anything less than a 12 hour timeslot.

It takes Slow Joe a good 45 minutes just to answer whether or not he thinks the sky is blue.

Hollowpoint on August 18, 2008 at 8:56 PM

aikidoka on August 18, 2008 at 8:48 PM

A three-sided coin?

LimeyGeek on August 18, 2008 at 8:56 PM

You know what? I’ve already had two beers, and one was 6.8%

fiatboomer on August 18, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Yeah, but wouldn’t that negate the “he’s old” slams on McCain? Nunn’s no spring chicken.

funky chicken on August 18, 2008 at 8:58 PM

funky chicken on August 18, 2008 at 8:58 PM

Obama could call McCain old as often as he wanted even if he were to pick Ramses II as his running mate. That’s the difference a swooning MSM makes.

fiatboomer on August 18, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Biden would give me serious comfort when this newbie actually goes and gets elected.

I have no particular feeling for Sebilius. She’s just really boring.

MayBee on August 18, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Naw, he wouldn’t even get in my front door.

fiatboomer on August 18, 2008 at 9:04 PM

Biden would be good.

He’s so articulate.

And clean.

And have you seen Joe dance? Boy’s got rhythm. I’ve never seen a defter version of The Backpedal.

sulla on August 18, 2008 at 9:09 PM

Cindy Sheehan, with the bonus of Pelosi keeping her seat.

Bishop on August 18, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Or else God as veep. Obama would love nothing better than ordering God around.

Bishop on August 18, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Bishop on August 18, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Sheehan is a good idea. Or Nadir (I mean Nader…) Or McKinney.
Can he do all three? A time-share VP? He’d pull all those disaffected leftist votes right back in.

Rodent on August 18, 2008 at 9:18 PM

You’re all wrong:

Obama’s VP is going to be George Soros!!!

Think of the convenience: Soros will be able to simply pull a short string and have Obama lurch to the left immediately!!

/sarc

landlines on August 18, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Please be Biden, please please please. This guy will cram his foot down his throat the first week. Just ask all the clean, articulate black men shopping at all the Indian-owned 7-11s. It’s storybook, man.

Vote Sauron 08 on August 18, 2008 at 9:23 PM

Being a believer that Obama is not in control of his campaign and there are “powers” behind the empty suit, with graying hair, wrinkled skin, and claw like arthritic fingers slithering in the cover of darkness, controlling not only the money, but the media, and everyone from cabinet postions to clerks in the State Department, with only one goal, “THE RETURN TO POWER!”………………………. it’s gonna be Biden.

Seven Percent Solution on August 18, 2008 at 9:24 PM

That was one of the best lines I have ever read! Just Excellent!

Boogscraft on August 18, 2008 at 9:24 PM

I have to admit, I don’t really care.

Terrye on August 18, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Me neither.

HawaiiLwyr on August 18, 2008 at 9:29 PM

I’m hoping it’s Biden too. He’s a Washington insider who hasn’t accomplished much of anything despite decades in the Senate. He represents everything that’s wrong with Washington. He’d be an excellent choice — for the Republican side. Go for it, Obama!

AZCoyote on August 18, 2008 at 9:31 PM

If he picks anyone other than Hillary, it’ll be another nail in the coffin for the Obama campaign. They’re screwing this up better than I expected thus far, so I anticipate someone other than Hillary.

forest on August 18, 2008 at 9:37 PM

Obviously the Obama campaign is leaking names for strategic purposes. But why leak such uninteresting names?

My theory: second rate names are being leaked because he has chosen Hillary. If he were to leak an interesting name, people would get their hopes up, and the big announcement would be a letdown, making Hillary look bad, which can’t happen under any circumstances. By leaking weaker candidate names, the announcement of Hillary for VP will cause a huge sigh of relief, which will be spun as enthusiasm for Mrs. Clinton.

You’ll like my theory, or my name isn’t Orville Redenbaker!

jeff_from_mpls on August 18, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Barry will go for Bayh because he does the least harm. I would love to see Biden for the sheer entertainment value of his monstrous gaffes but it won’t happen. Bayh is a cardboard cutout of a VP candidate. Barry can just prop him up and at least nothing bad will happen (except for the small risk that Bayh’s pro-war vote will push the Recreate ’68 crowd into fits of incoherent rage).

Otherwise what does BO have to work with? Kaine’s a newby nobody, with no record, no achievements and weak ratings. Sebelius? Seriously? She’s my governor and I don’t think it will happen. So she might give him Kansas. Woo freaking hoo. No one cares. Does Obama really want the image of him standing next to Sebelius for weeks on end? Does he live in such an echo chamber that he really thinks America is going to elect Obama-Sebelius? Plus her national performance thus far has been disappointing. I think Mitt would chew her up and spit out the gristle.

But hey, rock on Barry. Listen to the voices in your head.

Vote Sauron 08 on August 18, 2008 at 9:43 PM

AZCoyote on August 18, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Sounds very good to me as well.

wise_man on August 18, 2008 at 9:45 PM

If he wants to win it’ll have to be my girl Hillary!

kanda on August 18, 2008 at 9:45 PM

Hillary doesn’t want the job. I’m sure Howie Dean is leaning on her to take it, big time. If she was ever interested (and I’ve said all along that I don’t think she is) Saddleback killed the possibility.

Allah had a link to an article where Leon Panetta said Hillary supporters had “an inbred sense of entitlement” vis a vis Hillary and the POTUS nomination.

inbred? I still nominate the Panetta quote for quote of the day. The PUMAS need to read Obama’s “outreach” guy calling them all inbreds.

funky chicken on August 18, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Oh Lord….Cynthia McKinney LOL

funky chicken on August 18, 2008 at 9:49 PM

I bet it’s McGovern.

That, or Barry O’s gonna dig up Adlai Stevenson.

sulla on August 18, 2008 at 9:49 PM