Video: Kobe on patriotism

posted at 5:46 pm on August 16, 2008 by Allahpundit

So affecting is his sincerity that we got three separate requests for this last night within minutes of it airing, one of them from MKH. As for Collinsworth’s question, I don’t know how to take it, frankly. From the transcript it reads like he’s making a neutral point about how American culture views patriotism, but watch his expression as he asks it. Clearly he’s not trying to get him to say, “Yeah, you’re right, it’s stupid to be proud of your country” in the middle of their Olympics coverage, but … weirdness.

Good work by NBC, though, in dousing a poignant moment in hokey musical cheese, just in case there were any chimps watching who can’t grasp the sentiment without an orchestral cue. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Refreshing to hear.

RobCon on August 16, 2008 at 5:49 PM

And he completely whooped what was thought to be USA’s only competition for the Gold, Spain, this morning.

malan89 on August 16, 2008 at 5:51 PM

That’s especially inspiring to hear, considering the hell this guy went through over false rape charges, which the American public largely found him guilty of before they knew anything about it.

MadisonConservative on August 16, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Some of us don’t need the Olympics, a terror attack or a holiday to be patriotic.

Everyday is the Independence Day.

Tony737 on August 16, 2008 at 5:54 PM

There’s alph to omega.

This guy, Collinsworth, is an iota.

Entelechy on August 16, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Alpha to omega, of course.

Entelechy on August 16, 2008 at 5:56 PM

A patriotic American, when some folks think that it is uncool to be patriotic.

Johan Klaus on August 16, 2008 at 5:56 PM

And this is Kobe, whom everyone loves to hate.

Entelechy on August 16, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Three cheers.

Johan Klaus on August 16, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Awesome!

Connie on August 16, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Awesome! And damn straight, land of the free and the home of the brave.

Btw Chris, sometimes the right ain’t cool. See you at the debate, b1tches.

Spirit of 1776 on August 16, 2008 at 6:00 PM

And this is Kobe, whom everyone loves to hate.

Except, apparently, the Chinese.

malan89 on August 16, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Saw this when it aired, and I was hoping somebody saved it. Good for Kobe.

ReubenJCogburn on August 16, 2008 at 6:01 PM

It seemed to me that Collingsworth was wanting a different answer and was disappointed.

Johan Klaus on August 16, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Everyday is the Independence Day.

Tony737 on August 16, 2008 at 5:54 PM

True dat.

JetBoy on August 16, 2008 at 6:03 PM

The praise for Kobe amuses me, given his long history of cheating on his wife.

SnarkVader on August 16, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Collinsworth’s line of questioning the “coolness” of American patriotism came across as rather… strange. “Seems like sort of a day gone by”? I mean, the questioning makes sense in terms of what he’s looking to get out of Kobe but with today’s blatantly anti-American MSM coverage, it’s hard not to read too far into Cris’ phrasing. Kudos to Kobe, though. I may not like the Lakers one bit but it’s a thrill to hear a man like him stand up for his country, to hear him say he truly loves the opportunities this country has given him and not bag on it like many others may have. Go for the gold, USA!

And being a devotee of orchestral music, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a fine orchestral cue. It doesn’t become overly saccharin in this interview by any means. Stop being such an interminable whiner, AP. :P

Jockolantern on August 16, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Good for Kobe!!

Another failure by NBC, with the unnecessary music. If the Fairness Doctrine lived up to it’s name, the Olympics would go back to ABC.

indythinker on August 16, 2008 at 6:05 PM

ABC’s music in their Russell-Garnett piece was the worst.

MadisonConservative on August 16, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Ha! Good job categorizing everyone that might disagree. You should run for office, just get a bus.

Spirit of 1776 on August 16, 2008 at 6:07 PM

The praise for Kobe amuses me, given his long history of cheating on his wife.

We’re not talking about the man’s personal life here. That is business between himself, his wife and God. We are, however, talking about his love of country. That’s something we can all admire.

Jockolantern on August 16, 2008 at 6:08 PM

MadisonConservative on August 16, 2008 at 5:52 PM

What was false about the charges seemed to be due to the actual mental capacity of the accuser, who seemed to be having some serious mental health issues.

I don’t think she was lying for money or attention. I think she initiated the encounter due to her mental issues, and felt taken advantage of because Kobe took what was offered without wondering why and stopping short of sex. It’s kind of like wondering why the waitress kept serving you drinks when it should have been obvious you were drunk.

To be fair to Kobe, he’s not a frikken’ telepath, and a notarized mental health history is not a reasonable requirement for a sexual encounter. Nor is extensive training in psychological assessment on his part.

Sekhmet on August 16, 2008 at 6:10 PM

I take it the other way. I think Collinsworth knew the sort of answer he would get, and so set up the question to make Kobe’s response more forceful.

mikeyboss on August 16, 2008 at 6:10 PM

I saw it last night also, very touching. As for Collinsworth, he must be a joy around home because I can’t abide watching his NFL coverage because he is so negative. I don’t know if it is natural or if that is his “role” but he couldn’t say something positive if his life depended on it. And on top of that he is usually proven wrong within moments of some “sage” remark.

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Jockolantern on August 16, 2008 at 6:04 PM

For CC to peruse that line of questions was strange – he sounded like a typical American-hating Lib but I know from watching CC for years and years he’s as true-blue as they come….

TheBigOldDog on August 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Jockolantern on August 16, 2008 at 6:08 PM

John Edwards loves his country too.

SnarkVader on August 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Ah geez….you’re gonna go ‘n make me like Kobe?

Thanks for nuthin’.

The Ugly American on August 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM

I got the feeling it was a setup for something they’d talked about before. I didn’t think Collinsworth was expressing his own opinion- but it is definitely an opinion that is out there. I think it’s great if Kobe wants to talk about how cool America is (and not have Obama be the only symbol of the wonder that is America).

I have no reason to doubt Collinsworth is anything but a good guy.

MayBee on August 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM

And don’t even get me started on his lip lickin’ thang…

The Ugly American on August 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Jockolantern on August 16, 2008 at 6:08 PM

+1.

Spirit of 1776 on August 16, 2008 at 6:13 PM

What does everyone expect Kobe to say? I hate this american uniform. It sucks. I’m just doing it for the endorsement deals?

Too much credit is being given here.

lorien1973 on August 16, 2008 at 6:16 PM

I’d believe anything at this point. After the announcers babble on about how wonderful everything and everyone Chinese is and Bob Costas says Phelps winning another medal was “ridiculous,” I can barely watch them.

MamaAJ on August 16, 2008 at 6:17 PM

MayBee on August 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM

mikeyboss on August 16, 2008 at 6:10 PM

We’re thinking alike.

mikeyboss on August 16, 2008 at 6:17 PM

I love that guy’s cringe when he asks if its still cool to call yourself an American. What a jackass.

AbaddonsReign on August 16, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Sekhmet on August 16, 2008 at 6:10 PM

…all of which is quite different from the public perception of a “rapist”. Though I guess, in large part, the blame for that can better be placed on the media.

Spirit of 1776 on August 16, 2008 at 6:07 PM

…?

MadisonConservative on August 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Collinsworth is a republican, people. Ya’ll are really being hypercritical here.

lorien1973 on August 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Kudos to Kobe. Made me proud to have him representing our country.

As for Collinsworth, loved the face he made when he asked about it being cool to be patriotic. I don’t think he deserves the benefit of the doubt after watching the video. I think he was sneering at Kobe’s feelings. Collinsworth definitely belongs on NBC.

katieanne on August 16, 2008 at 6:21 PM

lorien1973 on August 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM

So is Ron Paul. Doesn’t mean I gotta admire the guy. Just sayin’…

JetBoy on August 16, 2008 at 6:21 PM

MadisonConservative on August 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Poor attempt to razz you for minimizing people who question Kobe’s innocence. Ie in a thread to praise him, was used to dog others on completely unrelated issue. It came out poorly and thus all humor is lost.

Spirit of 1776 on August 16, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Racist.

Seixon on August 16, 2008 at 6:22 PM

The praise for Kobe amuses me, given his long history of cheating on his wife.

SnarkVader on August 16, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Only one person was perfect and you know what happened to him.

Johan Klaus on August 16, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Too much credit is being given here.

Too much negativity is being given here. Is it seriously so wrong to be proud of one’s country? I don’t care if it’s a loaded television interview or not; Kobe didn’t have to say what he said, but he did. I have no reason to doubt his sincerity. Do we honestly have to question a man when he says he’s proud to play for his land of the free and home of the brave?

I am honest to God sick and tired of all the anti-American rhetoric that has pervaded the MSM’s coverage of this year’s political season. It is beyond disgusting and the sole reason for the hatred being George W. Bush is even more repulsive. Guaranteed if Barack gets into the White House, we’ll be the greatest country on the face of the earth, according to the press. We are the greatest force for good on the face of the earth, regardless of what B.S. the media shoves down our throats; regardless of what the idiot minority of far-left nut jobs have to say in YouTube comments.

I’m as proud of Kobe sticking up for his country as I am damn tired of so many people questioning unashamed love of country. Is it so much to ask that we hear such words from celebrities like Bryant who are representing their country? I, for one, don’t think it is and I’m glad Kobe doesn’t either.

Jockolantern on August 16, 2008 at 6:23 PM

JetBoy on August 16, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Nope. I think he’s a dork, but it’s funny that everyone is reading something into his question. Assuming he’s inferring something. When you could just as easily infer the exact opposite.

lorien1973 on August 16, 2008 at 6:24 PM

Spirit of 1776 on August 16, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Difference between questioning his innocence and “Pfft, of course. We all know it’s true.” Maybe I ran into more of these dips than you, but there were plenty of them out there. I pointed it out to emphasize the significance of his view.

MadisonConservative on August 16, 2008 at 6:24 PM

John Edwards loves his country too.

SnarkVader on August 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Indeed. So much so, that he had a ménage à beaucoup, in your face. Chutzpah for sure, but his might be illegal, due to monetary election hush-fund-transfers, not to talk about such Gargantuan hypocrisy.

Can you see the difference, or are you completely dim?

Entelechy on August 16, 2008 at 6:25 PM

How in the world is a blog entry made?

Once again, the same as with “Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed”, IMDb is showing their leftist stripes. While “An American Carol” (October 3rd):

is being released on October 3rd (even according to the IMDb entry), it’s not on the release list:

Please notice how “Religulous” (October 17th) and “W” (October 3rd) are both on the list.

This is the second time that the omission has been so egregious that I have noticed it. With “Expelled”, as I had pointed out in that thread, it actually made top 10 and was listed, but with _nothing_ in the summary/explanation box.

IMDb is not inclusive nor is it honest. Specific exclusion of movies in their (supposedly) all-inclusive list only betrays the leftist political leanings of the site (much like Google’s exclusion of patriotic holidays, except much worse since _all_ movies are supposed to be included). I frequent IMDb all of the time, but I am now having second thoughts about this habit.

Theophile on August 16, 2008 at 6:26 PM

lorien1973 on August 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM

So is Lindsey Graham.

Johan Klaus on August 16, 2008 at 6:27 PM

So is Lindsey Graham.

Johan Klaus on August 16, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Graham’s not so bad.

lorien1973 on August 16, 2008 at 6:24 PM

I dunno…seemed clear to me. But who knows.

JetBoy on August 16, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Can you see the difference, or are you completely dim?

Entelechy on August 16, 2008 at 6:25 PM

At the core, they’re the exact same thing. A man cheating on his wife. Is that simple enough for you?

SnarkVader on August 16, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Alpha to omega, of course.

Entelechy on August 16, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Aleph to tav, of course.

Aleph on August 16, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Amen on that!

I HATE Collinsworth and how he calls a game and I HATE him on Inside the NFL.

And you’re right, he could find something negative to say about anything.

catmman on August 16, 2008 at 6:38 PM

At the core, they’re the exact same thing.

At our core, we’re all human beings. I’m not excusing a man cheating on his wife, but nor am I going to be the one that condemns him since I, as a fallen man, am no better at my core.

All have sinned and fall short.

Simple enough?

Jockolantern on August 16, 2008 at 6:39 PM

My kind of loyalty was to one’s country, not to its institutions or its officeholders. The country is the real thing, the substantial thing, the eternal thing; it is the thing to watch over, and care for, and be loyal to. Institutions are extraneous, they are its mere clothing, and clothing can wear out, become ragged, cease to be comfortable, cease to protect the body from winter, disease, and death.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on August 16, 2008 at 6:42 PM

SnarkVader on August 16, 2008 at 6:34 PM

But what about “what happens in the bedroom/behind closed doors” thing? To a Libtard, anyone on the Left cheating on their wife is no big deal. ANY slip of the morals by someone on the Right seems to always be fair game.

I don’t like the Lakers (I don’t really like Basketball), so I’m indifferent about Kobe.

But his staring down Collinsworth and kinda slapping down Chris’s semi-condescension is pure GOLD!

(Pun Intended!)

catmman on August 16, 2008 at 6:43 PM

I don’t get the equivocation from AP here. It’s clear that C.C. was asking him a “when did you stop beating your wife” kind of question. The clear implication is, there is something wrong (these days) to feel proud of being an American. It’s vile NBC crap.

AYNBLAND on August 16, 2008 at 6:45 PM

lorien1973 on August 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM

So is Lindsey Graham.

Johan Klaus on August 16, 2008 at 6:27 PM

So is John McCain, so therefor … … therefor … … therfor … … oh, never mind.

MB4 on August 16, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Then Collinsworth is a “Republican” who works for NBC. A company that decided to program to Kos Kidz about four years ago.

AYNBLAND on August 16, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Ummm…He may not have raped anyone, but he did cheat on his wife with a woman he hardly knew.

Sorry, I’ll save my rah rah’s for those I respect and admire.

Rightwingsparkle on August 16, 2008 at 6:58 PM

Great for him. We conservatives always want to see public figures be better role models and I welcome this side of Kobe. What happened in his past was reconciled with himself, his wife, the justice system and eventually his maker. We make mistakes and when we recover from them we hope those who were affected by them will forgive us. I welcome his positive change and I hope it continues for him.

Lets not drink the hater-aide.

Claypigeon on August 16, 2008 at 6:59 PM

but he did cheat on his wife with a woman he hardly knew.

Is it better if you know the woman really well? I’ll notify John Edwards :)

Spirit of 1776 on August 16, 2008 at 7:00 PM

So is Lindsey Graham.

Johan Klaus on August 16, 2008 at 6:27 PM

Graham’s not so bad.

JetBoy on August 16, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Not so bad
If you like Martgueritas
And don’t think that his calling Americans bigots is so sad
Then he’s a pretty good for a Senorita

MB4 on August 16, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Bingo. Because today it ISN’T “cool” and good for both Kobe and Collinsworth. Just ask Madonna, Gywennie Paltrow…just ask the previous superstars on the Olympic loser basketball team. They were out there for themselves. Red, white and blue? They were only interested in burnishing the “green” of their brand.

It was a terrific interview.

tree hugging sister on August 16, 2008 at 7:09 PM

I may have to rethink my opinion of Kobe. He seemed very genuine in his answer; like he really believed what he was saying, no hesitation.

Big John on August 16, 2008 at 7:12 PM

Not so bad
If you like Martgueritas
And don’t think that his calling Americans bigots is so sad
Then he’s a pretty good for a Senorita

MB4 on August 16, 2008 at 7:01 PM

*sigh*

JetBoy on August 16, 2008 at 7:27 PM

Big John on August 16, 2008 at 7:12 PM

In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on August 16, 2008 at 7:27 PM

AYNBLAND on August 16, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Precisely but it’s very, very surprising coming from CC. from watch him for years on Inside the NFL, NBC NFL coverage, the NFLN, NFL related radio interviews, etc., it’s clear CC is a conservative and a big-time social-con at that.

TheBigOldDog on August 16, 2008 at 7:30 PM

And don’t think that his calling Americans bigots is so sad
Then he’s a pretty good for a Senorita

MB4 on August 16, 2008 at 7:01 PM

*sigh*

JetBoy on August 16, 2008 at 7:27 PM

I could not help but notice that you highlighted me calling him Senorita and not him calling Americans Bigots.

*sigh*

MB4 on August 16, 2008 at 7:31 PM

*sigh*

MB4 on August 16, 2008 at 7:31 PM

You call him a “senorita”, and you have the gall to complain about “bigot”…

*SIGH*

JetBoy on August 16, 2008 at 7:34 PM

I think Kobe is being honest. I think a lot of these young people feel that way when they put on the red, white and blue.

And MB4, Graham is not so bad. It seems the people who put him in office don’t think so anyway and they are Americans after all.

Terrye on August 16, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Kobe was cute at the opening ceremonies. Athletes from other countries were approaching him for autographs, and he gladly complied. I heard him asking one Chinese guy how to say “thank you” in Mandarin.

And you are all wrong about Collinsworth. So there.

MayBee on August 16, 2008 at 7:43 PM

The praise for Kobe amuses me, given his long history of cheating on his wife.

Long history? Proof.

The Race Card on August 16, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Tell us about your parents’ history.

The Race Card on August 16, 2008 at 7:51 PM

America, we rule.

The Race Card on August 16, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Chris Collinsworthless

The Race Card on August 16, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Kobe’s always been wise beyond his years. Consider he spent time living overseas as a kid, so he can appreciate this country. This is nice to hear and I bet if you interview the rest of the team, they’ll say the same thing for the most part.

Collinsworth isn’t a complete dope, so I’m not ready to bury the guy over this.

Oh, and it’s nice to see the USA kicking the shit out of all comers on the hardwood again. Big ups thus far to Coach K. Now bring the gold home in style.

JammieWearingFool on August 16, 2008 at 7:55 PM

“Collinsworth isn’t a complete dope”

Yes, as a lifelong Bengal fan, I can attest that he is relatively intellectual by the standards of our wide receivers over the years. Only Isaac Curtis, Tim McGee, Charlie Joiner, Pat McInally, and Chip Myers have been appreciably brighter. And Speedy Duncan. And several dozen others.

But Collinsworth is smarter than Chris Henry.

NCC on August 16, 2008 at 8:19 PM

Thank you, AP. I truly appreciate this.

MsUnderestimated on August 16, 2008 at 8:36 PM

lorien1973 on August 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Lorien, it’s not whether or not he’s a Republican or a Democrat; IMHO it just exposes the bias in the media as a whole to dismiss patriotism or pride in this country.

MsUnderestimated on August 16, 2008 at 8:43 PM

SnarkVader on August 16, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Good grief, the man wants to play basketball for his country, John Edwards wanted to be the President of the United States. Requirements both intellectually and morally should be more than a little bit higher for that position. And as for Chris Collinsworth, don’t read anything into the way he asked Kobi questions other than the man is a DOWNER. He is totally incapable of asking or seeing anything inspirational. He’s the kind of guy who would be bummed out if he won the lottery because of the taxes he was going to have to pay.

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Allowing professionals into the amateur Olympics has made the entire afair schizophrenic.

Have the OIC given back every medal to everyone from Jim Thorpe on down who was ever penalized for some “professional” status?

Kobe has no beef with patriotism.

profitsbeard on August 16, 2008 at 8:51 PM

Sorry for spelling Kobe’s name wrong. Oopsie!

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2008 at 8:51 PM

You call him a “senorita”, and you have the gall to complain about “bigot”…

*SIGH*

JetBoy on August 16, 2008 at 7:34 PM

Si.

He, a U.S. Senator, called me and all other Americans who did not go for his “Comprehensive Immigration Reform” sellouts plans, Bigots, so yes, damn right, I think that it is more than called for, for me, an American citizen, and all American citizens, to call him Senorita (You got something against Senoritas?), and a lot more, in return.

*SIGH*

MB4 on August 16, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Kobe could be doing a thousand other things but he chose to sit in that chair and he said what he said. About an hour ago I hugged my USMC son for the last time until March. I popped Hot Air open looking for someone to beat-up on but Kobe reminded me that everything is really fine. I believe we all (at least at HA) know a patriot when we see one. Kobe is a patriot.

JonRoss on August 16, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Jockolantern on August 16, 2008 at 6:04 PM

I agree, Jock. In fact, I am a “score hound.” I love Musical Scores from movies more than I do Soundtracks. Thomas Newman is the best score writer.

MsUnderestimated on August 16, 2008 at 9:18 PM

I find it interesting that when Kobe expresses unequivocal love of and pride for his country that some can still find fault.

Reminds me of the criticism that the Secretary of State took here for expressing the opinion that the USA was tough enough to withstand an Obama presidency. (She may have been wrong, but the sentiment was a compliment of our country and, actually, a slap against Obama, though some preferred to twist it into something else for whatever reason.)

At any rate, observing Kobe from afar has taught me one thing: we all fall short and it’s up to God to judge the true nature of a person’s heart–the real meaning of the verse “judge not…”

Go Kobe and go USA!

baldilocks on August 16, 2008 at 10:58 PM

JonRoss on August 16, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Prayers to your Marine.

Cindy Munford on August 16, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Not weirdness, NBC had made it clear that they want us to be past patriotism, a post-nationalism Olympics, through the entire event. If it weren’t for Phelps it seems that they probably wouldn’t mention countries at all (or at least USA).
David

LifeTrek on August 16, 2008 at 11:29 PM

baldilocks on August 16, 2008 at 10:58 PM

d1carter on August 17, 2008 at 12:11 AM

d1carter on August 17, 2008 at 12:11 AM

Thanks.

This reminds of the heart displayed one Allen Iverson four years ago when many other NBA “stars” were afraid to leave the country to represent team USA. (Kobe was on trial at the time.) They won the bronze medal.

baldilocks on August 17, 2008 at 12:25 AM

2004′s BBall Team USA won the bronze medal, that is. They weren’t expect to win anything.

baldilocks on August 17, 2008 at 12:31 AM

expected

baldilocks on August 17, 2008 at 12:32 AM

I thought Kobe was very sincere is his love of the USA. I am proud of him and his USA BBall team. They have brought an excitement to the Olympics with their support of the other athletes.
You know, baldi, we all are more complicated human beings than some people think..

d1carter on August 17, 2008 at 1:08 AM

OK, I am late to the postings, but WOW, DOUBLE WOW, FABULOUS, WONDERFUL, AND…..OMG…DID I JUST BECOME A KOBE FAN??????ACCKKKKKKKKWELLLLLLLLLLLL IT IS USA USA USA USA….OH the conundrum!!!!!!! STILL…..GO USA!!!!!

labwrs on August 17, 2008 at 1:34 AM

I watched this live and wanted to reach into my television and choke the last breath out of Collinsworthless… I’m glad Kobe set him straight. For gosh sake, Collinsworhtless’ expression was so smug, so liberal, so Olbermann-like. It really pissed me off and I’ve lost what little respect I had for him.

I hate the Lakers, but way to go Kobe!!!

cannonball on August 17, 2008 at 1:58 AM

About an hour ago I hugged my USMC son for the last time until March.

JonRoss on August 16, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Mr. Ross, I pray for your son’s safety as does my family. I have two sons, four and five, and I dread the day I may have to bear the same experience. You and your son have my deepest admiration. Godspeed.

Claypigeon on August 17, 2008 at 2:46 AM

I got a feeling The Admiral gave the guys a pep talk at some point before they left for China. Robinson’s the kind of guy I figure not only could make that point and make it stick but would go out of his way to do exactly that.

Big ups for our mens hoop team. Coach K’s got them playing like one and it showed the way they blew out Spain. Hopefully they cut it out with the fancy stuff (which they’ve kept in check for the most part but still occasionally costs them an easy bucket) in the medal round and just stick to what makes them the best team on earth right now: incredible skills, incredible talent and a team mind set the likes of which we haven’t seen since Dream Team 2.

I’d say big ups for the women’s team, but they don’t need ‘em. The only easier gold we’ll take in these games is softball.

And screw Collinsworth. He’s still pissed that the only time he ever got a shot at Super Bowl glory, he and the Bungles had the misfortune of having to play Joe Montana led, Bill Walsh coached ‘Niners teams.

SuperCool on August 17, 2008 at 2:59 AM

You people are making so much out of so little …………..

gstrickler on August 17, 2008 at 4:47 AM

JammieWearingFool on August 16, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Compare and contrast to Barry O, who spent his childhood in Indonesia. Not only is Barry wobbly in his appreciation of this country’s great gifts, he actually thinks that the mere fact that he lived overseas makes him more qualified than John McCain on foreign policy, but I digress…

Buy Danish on August 17, 2008 at 7:49 AM

I keep waiting for the “but” to come in someplace.

abcurtis on August 17, 2008 at 8:18 AM