Open thread: McCain and Obama at the Saddleback forum

posted at 7:20 pm on August 16, 2008 by Allahpundit

8 p.m. ET on CNN and MSNBC. Obama gets the first hour, then Maverick. Tune in at 8:55 or so at least for the body language as their paths cross onstage.

I share the boss’s disdain for this grand pander so I won’t be watching, but we’ll have video later if anything interesting gets said. Which isn’t as unlikely as she suggests, actually: Warren has promised to “deal with their personal life,” which in the case of his “amazing” friend Barry should mean at least one question about Rev. Wright and in McCain’s case should mean you know what. Note to Maverick: Be sure to mention John Edwards, seeing as he was thoughtful enough in his ABC mea culpa to mention you. Or better yet, since Warren’s so concerned about character, ask him what conclusion we should draw about the character of an American who travels overseas for photo ops with terrorist cretins responsible for funneling suicide bombers into Iraq to kill American soldiers.

As always, if you see or hear anything worth clipping while you watch, tips are very much welcome.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Janos Hunyadi on August 17, 2008 at 12:43 AM –

Comes down to conviction…if you have it, it shows. If you don’t have it, it shows.

What was that they say about integrity…

“If you have integrity nothing else matters.

If you don’t have integrity, nothing else matters.”

McCain, nailed this one.

coldwarrior on August 17, 2008 at 12:49 AM

McCain, nailed this one.

coldwarrior on August 17, 2008 at 12:49 AM

Yes, he most certainly did.

Connie on August 17, 2008 at 12:51 AM

obama — toughest decision — being aganist the war we he has no vote or say.

kara26 on August 17, 2008 at 12:22 AM

Yeah, being against the war as a state senator from Hyde Park. If that was his toughest decision, he never has had to say boo to anyone. What an abject coward.

pedestrian on August 17, 2008 at 12:51 AM

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 12:42 AM

I have been to the website thought it was gender neutral. At first I thought Alphie was a grumpy old man but was encourage by others to believe that he/she was probably an underachieving student. Now I find out that Alphie is a girl/women?

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 12:51 AM

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 12:51 AM

What’s it all about, Alphie?

Connie on August 17, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 12:51 AM –

No, Cindy, I am the grumpy old man. :-)

coldwarrior on August 17, 2008 at 12:53 AM

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 12:42 AM

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 12:51 AM

I always took alphie to be a very young, angry liberal male. I was surprised just as you are to find out he was a she.
She is on the quote of the day thread now raising blood pressure levels.

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 12:54 AM

Obama gets away with murder literally!
That was so softball it was pathetic.
How anyone in that church could applaud Obama is an abomination.
Why wasn’t he flat out asked how he could call himself a christian when allowing partial birth abortion??
And the heck is Krathammer(sp) calling Obama intellingent and eloquent. From where I sat as soon as the question got unto abortion, the dude was stamerring–far from eloquent.

And since when is making 150,000 a year poverty level, according to Obama? And they wonder why we call them elitists.

Conservatives R Us on August 17, 2008 at 12:54 AM

McCain, nailed this one.

McCain the adulterer or McCain the Thief, cold?

alphie on August 17, 2008 at 12:55 AM

She is on the quote of the day thread now raising blood pressure levels.

Shocking!

hillbillyjim on August 17, 2008 at 12:55 AM

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 12:48 AM

I feel the same way about the evolution/Id threads. It’s like watching a group of people playing tic tac toe over and over again and nobody wins. And WAY to personal. As in name calling personal.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 12:55 AM

alphie on August 17, 2008 at 12:55 AM

I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later….

hillbillyjim on August 17, 2008 at 12:57 AM

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 12:55 AM

I followed the one last night. I felt like I was torturing myself.
Hey, look who decided to show up in this thread!

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 12:57 AM

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 12:54 AM

I know, I have been over there, took a swing at her/him. Someone mentioned that he/she wouldn’t get it if hit with a clue by four. Very clever.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 12:57 AM

No….she’s here.

coldwarrior on August 17, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Now I find out that Aalphie is a girl/women?

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 12:51 AM

There’s nothing wrong with being a girl/woman.

alphie’s problem isn’t based on gender. Just like Obama’s drawbacks aren’t based on race, or gender.

Entelechy on August 17, 2008 at 12:58 AM

alphie on August 17, 2008 at 12:55 AM

Yeah that one! Trying to aspire to Clintonian standards.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 12:59 AM

No….she’s here.

coldwarrior on August 17, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Yes, so alphie, I’ll take the bait: why is McCain a ‘thief’?

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 12:59 AM

Yeah that one! Trying to aspire to Clintonian standards.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 12:59 AM

Or Edwardian standards. Or All-the-Democratic-Governors-of-New-Yorkian standards.

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 1:00 AM

Entelechy on August 17, 2008 at 12:58 AM

I was expressing disappointment for my shared gender. I am afraid there could be points deducted by Alphie’s inclusion. Sorry, being mean.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 1:01 AM

Sew McCain’s involvement in the S&L scandal, carbon.

I can see the press has been keeping McCain’s past a secret…time for some informercials to fix that.

alphie on August 17, 2008 at 1:02 AM

carbon_footprint, nice collection of pictures of Dallas+ you link to. Been in Dallas many times for business and always treated royally well.

Entelechy on August 17, 2008 at 1:02 AM

carbon_footprint, nice collection of pictures of Dallas+ you link to. Been in Dallas many times for business and always treated royally well .

Entelechy on August 17, 2008 at 1:02 AM

Thank you for checking them out. I enjoy taking pics there.

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 1:05 AM

Dumb is dumb.

omnipotent on August 17, 2008 at 1:06 AM

It’s okay, Cindy.

The tough guys here like to imagine me as a woman.

It’s just their inner Larry Craig coming out.

No worries.

alphie on August 17, 2008 at 1:09 AM

alphie on August 17, 2008 at 1:02 AM

I think you better read Bob Bennett’s account of the S & L hearings. He was the Democratic lawyer and said that the evidence against McCain was minimal and he should be taken off the list of people involved but the Democrats refused because the wanted Republicans involved.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 1:10 AM

Sew McCain’s involvement in the S&L scandal, carbon.

alphie on August 17, 2008 at 1:02 AM

Oh the Keating Five thing? Per wikipedia: “In the end, McCain was cleared by the Senate Ethics Committee of acting improperly or violating any law or Senate rule, but was mildly rebuked for exercising “poor judgment”.

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 1:10 AM

I was expressing disappointment for my shared gender…

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 1:01 AM

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent” ~ ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Entelechy on August 17, 2008 at 1:11 AM

It’s okay, Cindy.

The tough guys here like to imagine me as a woman.

It’s just their inner Larry Craig coming out.

No worries.

alphie on August 17, 2008 at 1:09 AM

Now I am confused. I am sorry if I referred to you as female if you are male. Seriously.

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 1:12 AM

alphie on August 17, 2008 at 1:09 AM

That’s okay because I thought you were a grumpy old man. I think the fact that no one knows is your point.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 1:12 AM

The genus of the Keating Five scandal had to do with 1987 meetings with bank regulators, and possible influence of Senators toward not pursuing the Lincoln Savings and Loan owned by owned by Arizona developer Charles Keating for shady banking practices.

The Senate Ethics Committee probe of the Keating Five began in November 1990, and committee Special Counsel Robert Bennett recommended that McCain and Glenn be dropped from the investigation.

In February 1991, the Senate Ethics Committee found McCain and Glenn to be the least blameworthy of the five senators. (McCain and Glenn attended the meetings but did nothing else to influence the regulators.) McCain was guilty of nothing more than “poor judgment,” the committee said, and declared his actions were not “improper nor attended with gross negligence.” McCain considered the committee’s judgment to be “full exoneration,” and he contributed $112,000 (the amount raised for him by Keating) to the U.S. Treasury.

Democrats Dennis DeConcini of Arizona, Alan Cranston of California, and John Glenn of Ohio–met with Ed Gray, chairman of the Federal Home Loan Bank Board, on April 2. Those four senators and Sen. Don Riegle, Democrat-Mich. attended a second meeting.

For some, facts should never get in the way of feelings…

coldwarrior on August 17, 2008 at 1:13 AM

Sew McCain’s involvement in the S&L scandal, carbon.

alphie on August 17, 2008 at 1:02 AM

I suspect you meant so… This is really easy for most of us. Who understands supply and demand (more drilling) and who supports life. This is not hard. The answer is not Obama.

Dawnsblood on August 17, 2008 at 1:13 AM

Entelechy on August 17, 2008 at 1:11 AM

Trust me, that consent wouldn’t come from Alphie. We have just been discussing the mystery that is Alphie, which I am sure Alphie loves.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 1:13 AM

No worries.

alphie on August 17, 2008 at 1:09 AM

No one does, or should care what you are, gender-wise. For my part the only thing that bothers me is your lies/claims that you are to the right of Attila, when all you spew is not even centrist, but far-leftie hate and drivel. But no worries. I’d just prefer that you be who you are, without demonstrating otherwise with every keystroke.

Entelechy on August 17, 2008 at 1:14 AM

FNC: Obama, McCain’s Abortion Positions Contrast Sharply at Faith Forum

Barack Obama and John McCain went soul-searching in front of thousands of Christian evangelicals Saturday night, sitting down with influential pastor Rick Warren to answer his questions on faith and leadership.

Though the event was meant to broadly address moral themes, Warren touched on hot-button issues minutes into it, asking Obama and McCain their positions on gay marriage, stem-cell research and abortion.

The event highlighted their divergent styles and beliefs. McCain often gave quick answers to Warren, while Obama took his time explaining his positions. Obama seemed conversational, while McCain occasionally turned to lines from his stump speeches.

But McCain was clearly more in sync with the church-going crowd, particularly when it came to abortion.

Asked at what point he believes life begins, McCain immediately said: “At the moment of conception.”

“I will be a pro-life president and this presidency will have pro-life policies,” he said, after receiving thunderous applause.

Obama, rather, said answering that question would be “above my pay grade.”

Above his pay grade? WTF kind of non-answer answer is that? He’s trying to become POTUS for crying out loud. There’s not much above that pay grade.

He explained he is pro-choice, but not pro-abortion, and that he thinks women don’t make the decision to have an abortion casually and wrestle with it. Obama said he would limit abortions in the late stages of pregnancy if there are exceptions for the mother’s health.

Again, WTF?!?!? Obama was against bills both as a Illinois legislator and as a U.S. Senator that protects babies that survived abortions which is even to the left of one of the nations most outspoken Pro-Choice groups, NARAL.

McCain was equally unequivocal on his stance on marriage: “A union is between man and woman — between one man and one woman,” but added “that doesn’t mean people can’t enter into legal agreements.”

Obama said much the same, although he said he supports civil unions for gay partners. He said he would not support a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage because the issue is one for state governments to handle.

I disagree with both on this. Civil Unions are essentially marriage in everything but name so why not make it in name as well? Of course I would prefer if straight and gay couples had “Civil Unions” which is recognized by the govt and their “marriage” was through their church thus separate from the State.

Obama and McCain were asked the same set of questions separately. Obama went first and after about 50 minutes, McCain joined him and Warren on stage for a handshake and photo op. McCain then sat down with Warren.

The forum was a rare opportunity for the candidates to be seen side-by-side, before they head into their respective national conventions over the next few weeks. Their contest has until now been waged via TV ads, campaign memos, conference calls and stump speeches, but not in person.

Warren’s format aimed to toke the candidates off their usual talking points. The event was intended to allow the candidates to engage in a kind of long-form discussion with Warren that would not be permitted under the time constraints of a traditional presidential debate.

Warren asked several questions, such as one on the nature of evil, that would never find their way into traditional debates.

Asked about moral failings, Obama said the greatest moral failing of America is its inattention to the disadvantaged. Quoting scripture, he said the line that “whatever you do for the least of my brother you do for me” should apply to poverty, racism and sexism.

“There’s a pervasive sense I think that this country, as wealthy and powerful as we are, still don’t spend enough time thinking about the least of these,” he said.

McCain said the nation’s greatest moral shortcoming is its failure to “devote ourselves to causes greater than our self-interests.”

After the September 2001 terrorist attacks, McCain said, there should have been a national push for joining the Peace Corps and other volunteer organizations. His comment seemed an indirect criticism of President Bush, who had urged tax cuts and more shopping to stimulate the economy at the time.

McCain said his greatest personal moral failing was the failure of his first marriage, while Obama pointed to his alcohol and drug use during his teenage years.

Both it would seem gave great answers to this.

Both candidates invoked the obligations of faith to explain their support for embryonic stem-cell research.

I disagree with both on this as well.

The candidates’ divergent approaches were also highlighted when Warren asked them both if evil does exist. McCain’s response was an immediate “yes.” He added as president “If I have to follow him to the gates of Hell, I will get Usama bin Laden.”

Obama said Americans must have humility when confronting evil. “A lot of evil’s been perpetuated based on the claim that we were fighting evil.”

McCain’s answer nailed it IMO but even Obama’s answer was a a bit of cautionary advise to be heeded.

Obama used faith to answer questions ranging from his personal weaknesses to welfare reform. McCain mentioned his religious beliefs rarely, focusing instead on concrete policies and issues.

Asked to name three wise people they would listen to, Obama named his wife, Michelle; his maternal grandmother, who lives in Hawaii; and, not limiting himself to only a third, named several Democratic and Republican lawmakers.

Not his pastor of over 20 years? Interesting. Still under the bus I guess.

McCain named Gen. David Petreaus, head of U.S. troops in Iraq; U.S. Rep. and veteran civil rights leader John Lewis, D-Ga.; and former eBay CEO Meg Whitman, a top adviser to his campaign.

Petraeus was a good name to mention but I’m unfamiliar with the other two.

Warren, author of the best-selling book “The Purpose-Driven Life,” is known as a preacher whose priorities extend beyond such evangelical litmus-test issues as abortion and gay marriage.

“We believe in the separation of church and state, but we do not believe in the separation of faith and politics because everyone has a world view,” Warren said to cheers of the crowd from the pews of his church in Lake Forest, Calif., at the start of the forum.

He doesn’t endorse presidential candidates and said Friday before the forum kicked off that he was trying to “stake out what I call the common ground for the common good.” That he is the first figure to bring both presumptive nominees together for such an event was a testament to his perceived influence among evangelical voters.

With national polls consistently showing McCain within a few points of Obama’s lead, the Illinois senator could make the difference by siphoning off some of the religious conservatives who would otherwise support the Republican candidate.

Evangelical voters traditionally go for the Republican presidential candidate in large numbers, but Obama has been actively courting religious Americans. Conservative Christians form about one quarter of the American electorate.

Pffft. Religious conservatives will vote for McCain over the abortion issue alone.

I didn’t watch this forum and am totally reliant on reports after the fact. It would seem both performed well overall and it just depends on what views you already hold and agree with each candidate on already.

Yakko77 on August 17, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Sew McCain’s involvement in the S&L scandal, carbon.

alphie on August 17, 2008 at 1:02 AM

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 1:10 AM

Which, I might add, caused Senator McCain to concentrate the rest of his service to reform corruption in Congress. Members from both parties know he means business.

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 1:16 AM

alphie craves contrarian company and attention, from American suburbia. The HA community provides plenty, at the entertainment of both. It’s really no harm, and increases the HA commentary flow.

Entelechy on August 17, 2008 at 1:16 AM

Entelechy on August 17, 2008 at 1:16 AM

I know, I mentioned earlier how much I learn from the responses to Alphie. Who by the way has come to late to the thread tonight for me to enjoy. I am sure I will enjoy it in the morning. I am signing out. Good night everyone. Thanks for the great conversation.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 1:21 AM

We have just been discussing the mystery that is Alphie..

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 1:13 AM

alphie is not a mystery.

Good night Cindy.

Entelechy on August 17, 2008 at 1:22 AM

Time to pop open a can of Ensure and head for bed, too.

‘night, all.

coldwarrior on August 17, 2008 at 1:23 AM

Yakko77 on August 17, 2008 at 1:15 AM

YAKKO – this might be a record of the longest comment eva.
Might have time to read it tomorrow….

Travis1 on August 17, 2008 at 1:26 AM

Rick Warren is not a conservative. He’s a brilliant self-promoter and slimy power hungry charlatan.

funky chicken on August 17, 2008 at 1:31 AM

YAKKO – this might be a record of the longest comment eva.
Might have time to read it tomorrow….

Travis1 on August 17, 2008 at 1:26 AM

Heh, sorry. I guess the article I posted comments on throughout was longer than I thought it was. Given that I didn’t watch the forum I had to go on reports after the event and post my thoughts after the fact.

Yakko77 on August 17, 2008 at 1:32 AM

I refused to watch BHO lie to the Saddleback crowd. He makes me sick to hear him speak. Anybody who votes FOR infanticide doesn’t deserve to be elected dogcatcher.

Mojave Mark on August 17, 2008 at 1:33 AM

Is there any question as to who should be President? The differences in character between these two have never been so starkly displayed in front of us.

WisCon on August 16, 2008 at 9:14 PM

I agree.

MsUnderestimated on August 17, 2008 at 1:35 AM

OMG! I just saw Bill Maher’s face. Totally destroyed my night.

terryannonline on August 16, 2008 at 9:15 PM

Are you serious? Where was Bill Maher? I missed that!

MsUnderestimated on August 17, 2008 at 1:37 AM

Given Obama’s performance tonight, does anyone think he is headed for his own version of the Dukakis death penalty response during the debates?

SMB102589 on August 17, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Why do I torture myself? I went to HuffPo to read a few of the three thousand comments about this forum tonight. Man, take my word for it; don’t do it.
Many of those people over there are clueless. How anyone, anyone in the country that watched the full two hours tonight can come away with anything but McCain slaughtered Obama is just…..

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Why do I torture myself?

masochism n.

—– tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences.

hillbillyjim on August 17, 2008 at 1:59 AM

Obama’s comments are a problem. There have to be qualifiers and exceptions. Yes, he says, evil exists, but he cannot say, without hesitation, that Evil must be destroyed. Very telling.

MsUnderestimated on August 17, 2008 at 2:35 AM

Charles Johnson found an instance where a Creationist site was consorting with an Islamic educational leader in the UK for the purpose of spreading ID guides to teachers. So, Charles has now determined that any ID believer is in bed with Jihadists.

Sure, I can see that connection, all the way to the Delete Bookmark option.

leftnomore on August 17, 2008 at 2:50 AM

So, I just watched McCain’s half and I couldn’t help getting emotional when he said that a child’s rights start “at conception”. That is all I ask for, it is so fundamental and everything else hinges on that. I do wonder though if McCain is for abortion in the “cases of rape and incest” as so many Republicans were/are (even GWB); if one believes that life begins at conception, then it is murder to support abortion for any other reason than the life of the mother. It’s worse than pro-choicers who think that a fetus is only a blob of tissue. Also, if life begins at conception then there is no question that embryonic stem cell research is murder.

That brings me to the embryonic stem cell question. McCain said that it is one that pro-lifers “have struggled with”, what’s the struggle? I am a pro-lifer and there was no struggle to conclude that as life begins at conception, embryonic destruction for the betterment of others was wrong. Yes, his answer was good in that he concluded that with adult stem cells providing so much help, the question is more academic: why use embryonic stem cells when they not only don’t work and can even cause cancer, and adult stem cells actually are providing treatments (leukemia has longed been treated with adult stem cells). But I was a little diappointed. It just seems like a bit of a convienence to say, well embryonic stem cells don’t work anyway so I don’t have to worry about it, because it’s dodging the question, imo. The bravest people were those against etcr back when the scientific community swore they were the answer.

But, still, overall a great Q & A and McCain did very well. Loved him recounting his experience in Vietman, his actions there cannot be overstated. I was going to vote for him all along even if he was not the candidate of my choice, but tonight he reinforced my support. If we could just get him to change his mind on “climate change” and immigration, we’d be set.

I am surprised that it went so well with Warren as host. He actually didn’t annoy me and his questions were good.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 17, 2008 at 3:23 AM

I’m recording the whole forum. Tomorrow morning I’m going to edit and splice the vids to have a back-to-back Q&A between the candidates’ responses. Warren made this so easy because he asked the same questions to both candidates, that it will be an easy edit. I said EASY, not quick… ;-)

So please bear with me while I compile these vids tomorrow (actually today) morning. I will make a post with all the vids on my site tomorrow (.wmv downloadable links), so please check then at MsUnderestimated.com.

MsUnderestimated on August 17, 2008 at 3:36 AM

MsUnderestimated on August 17, 2008 at 3:36AM

Cool. The contrast should be quite striking, to misunderestimate a bit.

hillbillyjim on August 17, 2008 at 3:40 AM

I had the same idea; it will be great to be able to watch their answers in a comparative fashion.

A lot of work… thank you MsUnderestimated!

electric-rascal on August 17, 2008 at 4:01 AM

I just finished watching the whole thang.

Obama: Erudite, talkative, overly wordy and reflective. Hesitant/weak about America’s greatness. Would lead America with platitudes and trite phrases.

McCain: Tough street-fighter, decisive, able to lead. Firm and sure about America’s greatness. Would lead America with strength and pride.

Considering borderline economy, continuing threat of terrorism, and a renewed Russian bear growling and prowling, McCain is the only logical choice.

McCain has transitioned me from a “will vote for you but little financial support” to a “will vote for you AND make campaign contributions”.

“If America elects Obama, it’s not the America I once knew”.

electric-rascal on August 17, 2008 at 4:22 AM

McCain the adulterer or McCain the Thief, cold?

alphie on August 17, 2008 at 12:55 AM

I’m the descendant of many long lines of adulterers, thieves, rapists, murderers, and motherfvckers, Alphie. If even one of them had failed to do her job, or his job, I wouldn’t be here. And McCain the adulterer-thief, as you say, handed Obama his a$$ yesterday, even if Obama is as pure as the wind-driven snow.

Kralizec on August 17, 2008 at 5:53 AM

My clock is still blinking 12:00, you are brilliant.

Cindy Munford on August 17, 2008 at 7:24 AM

Wow. outclassed is not even the word. Obambi got his marxist ass handed to him last nite.

elduende on August 17, 2008 at 7:41 AM

Obambi got his marxist ass handed to him last nite.
elduende on August 17, 2008 at 7:41 AM

An instant disqualifier one time in America. Today, many will rate him on how good a marxist he is.

JiangxiDad on August 17, 2008 at 8:07 AM

but was mildly rebuked for exercising “poor judgment”.

carbon_footprint on August 17, 2008 at 1:10 AM

So when will Osama Obama be rebuked for exercising no judgment?

“I just flew in from Hawai’i, and boy! are my arms tired….”

MrScribbler on August 17, 2008 at 11:08 AM

I watched Obama and thought he did an OK job. Not being a McCain supporter (cannot get enthused by our number 1 RINO), I expected him to also do an OK job and then move on. Instead McCain, in comparison, sounded like a guy running for President and Obama one who was running for city council. I went into that a Barr voter. I might have to change that view if McCain does as well in the real debates.

JIMV on August 17, 2008 at 11:23 AM

So, one of the people B. O. would turn to for advice is his … grandmother? His frightened, racist grnadmother?!?!
Maroon!

McCain had the best performance. Damn shame he plans on making the USA a state of Mexico.

DannoJyd on August 17, 2008 at 11:29 AM

JIMV on August 17, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Well, Obama is an excellent community organizer.

And when he ran for illinois senate, he used a political procedure to derail his democrat opponents so he could run unopposed on the ballot. So you can see that he’s an awfully shrewed lawyer.

So Obama’s qualifications: Community organizer, shrewed lawyer. Oh! And he likes to vote ‘present’ a lot.

wise_man on August 17, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Which of these two (2) AMNESTY ZEALOT candidates is for respecting OUR “territorial sovereignty”? Think Georgia…ahem….Rio Grande…

DfDeportation on August 17, 2008 at 11:34 AM

wise_man on August 17, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Allow me to fix that for you …

So Obama’s qualifications: Community organizer, shrewd liar. Oh! And he votes ‘present’ a lot.

DannoJyd on August 17, 2008 at 11:37 AM

DfDeportation on August 17, 2008 at 11:34 AM

…. that’s the spirit, mr. deport them all.

wise_man on August 17, 2008 at 11:42 AM

JiangxiDad on August 17, 2008 at 8:07 AM

I don’t believe this until Nov.05, 2008. If we do, we’re no different than the Russians, and, therefore, deserve socialism/Marxism, with an anarchyst first lady to boot.

Every populace deserves its leaders.

Entelechy on August 17, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Kralizec on August 17, 2008 at 5:53 AM

You have a way with words, Kralizec, and you are a treasure.

Entelechy on August 17, 2008 at 4:08 PM

McCain wasn’t my first choice (Fred. Sigh.), but he’s the only choice we have now. “If America elects Obama, it’s not the America I once knew”. electric-rascal on August 17, 2008 at 4:22 AM

I’m gonna go sit down in your “amen corner.”

There… now I feel better. You said it perfectly.

Mojave Mark on August 17, 2008 at 4:51 PM

I share the boss’s disdain for this grand pander so I won’t be watching

Pretty straightforward questions if you ask me. Do you regret not watching?

James OK on August 17, 2008 at 7:18 PM

No scripts or teleprompters, so McCain easily ripped a new butt into uh, uh, err, uh, Oblahblah.

byteshredder on August 18, 2008 at 12:48 PM

You know what struck me the most about Obama’s responses? He evidently never has had to interview for a job!!

He had to know what the questions would be even without knowing what they actually were. Who prepared him for his bad performance? The more his team is exposed to real life, real time, the more they look like a clown car!!

Here’s a tip Obama. When you’re preparing for a job interview, the job of your life’s ambitions no less, you prepare by pre-supposing what the questions will be based on the nature of the interviewer. Pitifully bad preparation.

Texas Gal on August 19, 2008 at 1:42 AM