Nuance: Obama almost says Clarence Thomas didn’t have enough experience to serve

posted at 11:11 pm on August 16, 2008 by Allahpundit

And we know what horrible outcomes can arise when people without experience are placed in positions of great power. InstaGlenn accuses him of actually saying it but that’s not true: Watch him catch himself mid-sentence, the first fateful syllable of the word “experience” already out of his mouth, before he stops short and switches gears by basically calling Thomas a moron instead (at least, “at the time”) — an aspersion reinforced a moment later by the implicit contrast he draws in praising Scalia’s brilliance. A golden gaffe, narrowly avoided. Stay classy, Barry.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Alphie:

It really seems like you want to troll HotAir. I’ve seen ou on a lot of sites, and you always engeges in snarky cheap shots. Are you actually amused by this? You must be awfully easy to entertain.

Oh, and trying to bait someone on evolution is just juvenile. You seem to have also declared yourself the Defender of the Christian Faith from those EVIL evangelicals, who aren’t really Christians apparently.

OmegaPaladin on August 17, 2008 at 4:02 AM

I couldn’t but help notice the contrast between how the two answered the same questions. Nothing exemplifies this contrast more than when asked Does Evil Exist?

BDU-33 on August 17, 2008 at 1:56 AM

Neither can anyone else. We don’t need more answers from the candidates to determine who and what they are are.

At this point, the election is a referendum on Americans, a snap-shot if you will of who and what we are at this moment in time, not any longer a reflection on the two people running. That’s the big news yet to come. Do you live in the country you think you do, or fear you do?

JiangxiDad on August 17, 2008 at 7:14 AM

Since when does the news need a laugh track?

gridlock2 on August 17, 2008 at 7:43 AM

Debating about the ‘almost’ slip is the sideshow.

Just think, what kind of justices would McCain or Obama nominate?

That should be our focus.

Sir Napsalot on August 17, 2008 at 8:00 AM

Is there a link somewhere to Krauthammer’s comments on this event? Maybe they’ll be on YouTube later.

Dingbat63 on August 17, 2008 at 8:37 AM

I wonder if Obama always wrinkles his nose when he lies….

drjohn on August 17, 2008 at 8:45 AM

real Christians realize Obama has lead (sic) the more righteous life

“Righteous life” Obama, Bwahahahahhahahahaha, ha! If anyone is an Uncle Tom “yes man” it is Obama for Marx.

Drugs, promiscuous sex well past puberty through young adult, fudging through school and each career, absolute liar and thief, stealing taxpayer money giving absolutely nothing but grief to the elderly and the poor in return, HUD scams exactly as The Sopranos portrayed for those unable to comprehend Obama’s critics. Obama brings up Jesus’ admonition, “In as much as ye have done it unto the least of these, you have done it unto me.” Obama condemns himself as riddled with the selfish plague that not only consumes Obama, but all others under his influence.

maverick muse on August 17, 2008 at 9:10 AM

One last thing on Justice Thomas if I may.

ALPHIE – Guess what…Justice Thomas sits on the U.S. Supreme Court. As my daughter said many times when she was a child “nanny nanny pooh pooh”. So Alphie, get your ass out of bed this morning, the methadone clinic opens at noon.

JonRoss on August 17, 2008 at 9:19 AM

JiangxiDad on August 17, 2008 at 7:14 AM

And this scares the buhjayzeus out of me. But maybe my angst will have been misplaced come the first Wednesday in November.

JonRoss on August 17, 2008 at 9:22 AM

JonRoss on August 17, 2008 at 9:22 AM

Good luck JR, for us both.

JiangxiDad on August 17, 2008 at 9:24 AM

There is a special and specific strain of hatred harbored by Democrats against Black people who have an R behind their name.

Its as if they have horns, a tail and a trident and maybe thats as well because once a person realizes they don’t need liberals, its all over for the D word.

Speakup on August 17, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Mallard T. Drake said:

Barry calling Justice Thomas inexperienced is like the pot black hole calling the kettle bla[ck].

Good thought! Fixed it for ya! ;-)

EWTHeckman on August 17, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Debating about the ‘almost’ slip is the sideshow.

You’re right. But sideshows can be such fun!

The main show is what he said in the clear: He disagrees with “interpreting” the Constitution as it is actually written. Not that McCain is all that great either:

I would rather have a clean government than one where, quote, First Amendment rights are being respected, that has become corrupt.

I’ve gotta say that I love McCain’s two word answer to the evil question.

EWTHeckman on August 17, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Obama is scum. Crooked + Liar = Scum.

marklmail on August 17, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Elevation? Can he say that?

Clarence Thomas is . . . is . . . melanous.

Dan Collins on August 17, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Here’s a verbatim transcript of Warren’s question and Obama’s answer regarding Thomas (he also went on to talk of Scalia):

Rick Warren: “Which existing Supreme Court justice would you NOT have nominated?”
Barack Obama: [audience laughter] “That’s a good one. That’s a good one. Um. Uh, I would not have nominated, uh, Clarence Thomas. [applause from audience] Uh. I don’t think that he, uh, uh, uh, I, I, I, I don’t think that he was an exper, uh, a strong enough jurist or legal thinker, uh, at the time, uh, for that elevation, setting aside the fact that I profoundly disagree with his interpretations of a lot of the Constitution. Uh.”

Paul-Cincy on August 17, 2008 at 11:31 AM

That “uh”? That’s called Obostrophe.

Dan Collins on August 17, 2008 at 11:34 AM

JiangxiDad on August 17, 2008 at 7:14 AM

JonRoss on August 17, 2008 at 9:22 AM

+2, one for each of you.

I am hopeful, of late, based on Berlin and Russia/Georgia.

Entelechy on August 17, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Looks like the entire Saddleback Forum has been posted on YouTube and I’ve been watching it this morning. This is worth watching. The link I provided above is to one of the parts, you will have to search around (not difficult) to get all the parts but they are mostly listed in the “related videos” screen at the lower right. This was a good forum to learn where your candidate stands on a broad range of issues, highly recommend.

Maxx on August 17, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Maxx on August 17, 2008 at 12:26 PM

It seemed Rick Warren was confident enough in himself to not have to make the forum about Rick Warren. Not many other moderators you could say that about. Certainly not many on the cable and broadcast news channels. I mean, think Chris Matthews.

Paul-Cincy on August 17, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Paul-Cincy on August 17, 2008 at 11:31 AM

exper…?

Seems to me Obama was going to say ‘expert’, not ‘experience’ or ‘experienced’.

Of course, nobody can have ‘experience’ before becoming a SC justice.

Sir Napsalot on August 17, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Of course Obama wouldn’t nominate Clarence Thomas. Thomas knows how to read. The most mind-numbing comment of the election, Obama said that he and Thomas don’t interpret the constitution the same. Duh!!!!

Obama would much rather have Souter, Ginsburg and Stevens amend the constitution from the bench. We’d be better off with Vladimir Putin in the White House.

orlandocajun on August 17, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Heh. BO needs to shut his pie hole: Frankly, his analysis isn’t worth spit.

second digit on August 17, 2008 at 7:15 PM

How did people get their news yesterday? today and tomorrow.

I watch Cable News and I get News from the Internet am I being counted twice?

Dr Evil on August 17, 2008 at 8:45 PM

And Allah goes to the video on Clarence Thomas. I’m standing by my call — biting the word in half isn’t the same as not saying it. In fact, it kind of underscores things that he recognized the error himself, doesn’t it? “Holy crap, I can’t say that!”

Glenn Reynolds

Reynolds has it exactly right. Allah sometimes suffers from Rich Lowry Disease, feeling the need to knob Obama before weakly declaring that he disagrees with him on a Point of Order.

Lowry (InstaPundit link) swallows it, too, declaring that Obama sounds like someone he wants to be best friends with. Reacharound, Rich? Clown.

Jaibones on August 17, 2008 at 10:28 PM

ok, a side bar – Krauthammer for Press Secretary!

As for experience, or lack of it, Obama is a cluelessly arrogant that he doesn’t even realize his lack of experience.

However, he does realize that many voters think experience matters and he doesn’t have it. It’s all about spinning things – how can he fool them again today.

Lincoln’s quote about fooling people applies here -

“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.”

Dr. Bob’s corollary –

“Only a fool thinks he can fool all of the people all of the time. Fools who try, fail very foolishly.”

Obama is a fool who is pretending to be something he isn’t. Trying to be everything to everyone. Pushing the mantra of impassioned but undefined change.

As the election nears, people will look for facts, solid positions, character, steadiness, reliability, wisdom and trustworthiness. Not one of these is Obama’s strength.

Dr. Bob on August 17, 2008 at 10:46 PM

ME AND MY JEWISH FAMILY DID MORE TO HELP BLACKS GET THEIR HUMAN/CIVIL RIGHTS THAN OBAMA OR ANYONE IN HIS FAMILY – EVER.

Wrong

WE AND YOUR JEWISH FAMILY DID MORE…

And don’t you ever fucking forget it you nitwit.

This message has been brought to you by the UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS and the UNITED STATES AIR FORCE SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMBAT SEARCH AND RESCUE TEAMS.

winemkr on August 17, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Paul-Cincy on August 17, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Exactly. Perfect, Paul. This is how Rich the Pansy Lowry describes his man-crush Obama on that answer:

…relaxed, reflective, polished, and conversational—truer to the spirit of the event.

What a friggin’ dork.

Jaibones on August 18, 2008 at 12:12 AM

One can only see Obama as the final distillation of a dozen bad public policies (Affirmative Action, ivy League non-meritocratic racial preferences), an idiot hippie America-hating mother, a sycophantic race-obsessed MSM, and a cowed, propagandized, beaten-down and intellectually non-inquisitive public.

It’s embarassing to even think of our great nation electing such an inexperienced second-class hack to the office of the President. Yet, that seems to be where all this is heading.

All the hoopla and hysteria of this election is just a frothy cover story for a nation in a deep and dangerous decline, without a true conservative leader to help pull its head out of the sand.

TexasJew on August 18, 2008 at 12:37 AM

TexasJew – I can appreciate your alarm, but it’s a long way to November. Nobody should be too surprised that the Democratic Party fell for the pretty snake-oil salesman. Shame on us and on John McCain if we and he fail to convince a majority of voters that Obama is an emperor with no clothes on.

rockmom on August 18, 2008 at 10:31 AM