Would John Kerry report for duty … as running mate?

posted at 2:22 pm on August 15, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

The closer we get to the Magic Text Message from The One, the more frenzied the Democratic running-mate speculation gets. Today’s humorous suggestion comes from Massachusetts television station WBZ, where Jon Keller thinks that John Kerry might have an inside track. Oh, sorry … Keller’s actually serious:

Kerry brings more money and name recognition to the table than any other name on the Obama list so far. Americans do tend to love a comeback kid and this would be the most amazing political comeback since Richard Nixon came back from the dead forty years ago. …

Polls show many voters question Obama’s foreign policy credentials to be a wartime president. As a decorated veteran and longtime member of the senate foreign relations committee, Kerry could fill that gap.

Obama suffers from being a new face on the political scene, but Kerry – warts and all – is well known to the voters, and in 2004, he did draw more votes than any democrat ever has.

And judging from a new anti-smear web site funded by Kerry’s political action committee, Kerry would eagerly assume the role of attack dog… Allowing a nominee who prefers to float above the fray to minimize the amount of political hardball he has to play.

Keller says not to laugh, and that “some political insiders” tell him an Obama-Kerry ticket may well happen.  If so, Republicans across the country can rejoice.  The only Democrat who could possibly have lost to George W. Bush in 2004 will bring his special mediocrity to the 2008 ticket.

Let’s take his supporting assumptions one at a time.  Kerry’s actual work in the Senate by 2004 became a subject of much derision.  In 20 years, he authored a grand total of six bills.  His work on the Foreign Relations Committee was similarly non-descript.  He was seen, rather accurately, as little more than a dilettante — a conclusion one can reach about Obama as well.

Keller notes that Kerry is a combat veteran, which has its own long history of controversy.  What isn’t in doubt was Kerry’s smear of Vietnam veterans after his own service ended.  He took part in the Winter Soldier smear job, and told Congress that his fellow veterans resembled the army of Genghis Khan rather than honorable men.  The entire Winter Soldier project has been long debunked, but Kerry stands by his smear campaign, intentionally undertaken to start his political career.

And as an attack dog, even Democrats found Kerry sadly wanting in 2004.  Not only couldn’t he effectively rebut the testimony of 250 fellow Swift Boat veterans, he failed at painting Bush as a coward.  In this, Kerry even had the brief assistance of CBS News and 60 Minutes II, until the blogosphere exposed them as liars peddling obvious forgeries.

Besides, what would Kerry bring to the ticket?  Latté liberals and Massachusetts.  If Obama needs to shore up those constituencies, then nothing will save him.

Comments

RedMindBlueState on August 15, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Quite right. Thanks for correcting me.

Infidoll on August 15, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Still, the thought of our junior senator as The One’s running mate is enough to make me start hoarding popcorn. Lurch has a primary challenge from a moonbat even further to his left, and a Republican challenger for the general. This could get interesting….
RedMindBlueState on August 15, 2008 at 3:30 PM

It’s going to be great.

…. epic, in fact.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Michelle and Tereza – Meow!

Didn’t Tereza mention that she was an African-American at the 2004 Dem convention? This news is much like the scene in Animal House with kid that said, “Thank You God!”

Sergei on August 15, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Oh, my… dare we dream?

It would be just one more item that should convince the electorate that this empty suit isn’t ready to lead or make sound, logical judgments.

It would get Kerry out of this state, too!

Corky on August 15, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Sergei, I love your comments.

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 4:44 PM

And you are a troll who takes the democrat’s side.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Which democrat are you talking about? Kerry or McCain?

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 4:45 PM

And ever onward. Real trolls never die. They just get ignored enough.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Dear gent, be nice.

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 4:46 PM

Hey, if you can suck blood, I can bloody a sucker.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 4:49 PM

MORRIS: I have no interest in the purity of a losing ticket. I believe that the dominant threat we face in the United States, to our healthcare system, our tax system, our national defense is the election of Obama as president.

Just for you wise_man – shhhhh, don’t tell my good friend Madison.

p.s. Madison, I sent you a reply on moderation – laughed at “beautiful vampire” – it was a first :)

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Heh, Madison, I’m the stronger one then :)

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 4:51 PM

You slipped about your nation of origin, my dear. Though I knew all along, by your powers of hypnosis.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Madison, it was no secret – therefore, no slip. It’s way more fun here, than it was there.

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Also, you are my dear too. Don’t tell wise_man. You two keep some distance.

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Also, you are my dear too. Don’t tell wise_man. You two keep some distance.

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Will 10 paces work?

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Know who else is a LYING LIAR WHO LIES ABOUT JOHN MCCAIN!?!?!?!

Bryan, formerly of HotAir. Oh, and John McCain.

JOHN MCCAIN IS A LYING LIAR WHO LIES ABOUT JOHN MCCAIN. JOHN MCCAIN AND THE DEMOCRATS TELL THE SAME STORY!!!
JOHN MCCAIN AND THE DEMOCRATS ARE TROLLS!!!

misterpeasea on August 15, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Oh, and, needless to say, John McCain should just go on over to Kos or HuffPo with the rest of the trash.

misterpeasea on August 15, 2008 at 5:10 PM

‘VOTING PRESENT NEARLY 130 TIMES/VOTING FOR IT BEFORE I VOTED AGAINST IT’ now that is a ticket!

clghitis on August 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM

misterpeasea on August 15, 2008 at 5:02 PM

I never read that before. Thank you for that ice-pick through my brain.

JiangxiDad on August 15, 2008 at 5:15 PM

You boys need to remember that Entelechy is Student Council President here, so mind how you go…..

misterpeasea, doesn’t your wrist get tired?

Janos Hunyadi on August 15, 2008 at 5:15 PM

John Forbes Kerry, reporting for doody.

jl on August 15, 2008 at 5:22 PM

If Obama picks Kerry then we know that Hillary is behind this! She has told Obama to figure out how to lose and turn this over to her or she is going to rip his head off and stuff it up his ass! And she way scarier than Michelle!

sabbott on August 15, 2008 at 5:26 PM

I got a woody just reading the title…

PLEASE…. Then the Swift Boat book will sell more copies…

originalpechanga on August 15, 2008 at 5:30 PM

As I said. They offered it three times. He rejected it three times.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Use you head for once man. If he had shown no interest at all why would they have kept asking him? If they had asked you once would your response have been such that they would have asked you again and again? Think man, think.

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 5:37 PM

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Oh come on. You’re asking a leopard to change his spots. You’re asking John Kerry to take a position and stick with it. You’re asking a cheerleader to stop trying to attract attention to himself.

Not gonna happen.

misterpeasea on August 15, 2008 at 5:40 PM

heh If he picks Kerry for VP..hes lost the election.

Pleez pick him…pleeeeez

becki51758 on August 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM

I was FOR the idea of VP before I was AGAINST it.

marklmail on August 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 4:51 PM

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Entelechy

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 5:37 PM

So if you asked out a supermodel and she rejected you three times, and you kept asking, and she kept rejecting you, then did you “almost go out with her?” And accorinng to you and your friends, she did. And according to her, she said that there was no scenario where that would happen. When asked about the gossip after the fact where you claimed that ‘she came to you in the first place,’ she explains that it isn’t possible. After all, she is a beautiful woman, and you are a freak. But this diversion to talk about John McCain that you started is now very old.

Do you want to get back on topic and talk about Kerry and Obama? Because I would like to.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 5:47 PM

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM

If that’s her, I’ll duel you all for dibs.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 5:49 PM

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Well if I had asked her more than once she would have had to have given me a lot of encouragement, like maybe a deep French Kiss, for me to keep asking.

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 5:52 PM

My night terrors revolve around this being a great subterfuge, and Hillary will actually get the veep slot.

pseudonominus on August 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 5:45 PM

If that’s her, I’ll duel you all for dibs.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 5:49 PM

105mm howitzers at 5 klicks tomorrow at 0800.

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 5:55 PM

105mm howitzers at 5 klicks tomorrow at 0800.

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Sorry, couldn’t hear you over the sound of my prototype F35 warming up.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 5:57 PM

You’re asking a cheerleader to stop trying to attract attention to himself.Not gonna happen.
misterpeasea on August 15, 2008 at 5:40 PM

I would like to discuss the topic of this page, and you are calling me a McCain cheerleader who wants to attract attention to myself.

This is your tactic. Doing this to me, over and over, repeatedly. If you would stop doing this, and then falsely claim that I am the one seeking attention when it is clearly you, that would be appreciated.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 5:58 PM

pseudonominus on August 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Frankly, I’d breathe a little easier. I’d really rather risk it being Hillary, who at least appears to have a little experience, than Obama, who has none. And while Hillary has Bill, she doesn’t have Wright, Ayers, and Rezko, all of whom scare me a lot more than a sax player.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Sorry, couldn’t hear you over the sound of my prototype F35 warming up.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Do you mean the prototype F35 that I placed a bomb set to go off as soon as it gets above 500 feet altitude? That one?

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 5:59 PM

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Well for the life of me I just don’t know how anyone could get an idea like any of those.

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 6:02 PM

What if the supermodel said this?

“MB4 is a very close friend of mine, and we’ve been friends for years. Obviously I would entertain it…”

And what if the supermodel was a slut who sleeps with anybody who shows her a little attention? Hillary, Kerry, Kennedy, Feingold, NYT, etc, etc.

And finally, if the supermodel looked like Entelechy, how could you blame MB4 for being persistent?

misterpeasea on August 15, 2008 at 6:02 PM

This is your tactic. Doing this to me, over and over, repeatedly.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 5:58 PM

You’re going in circles. Stop whining so much or misterpeasea will nail your other foot to the floor.

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 6:05 PM

misterpeasea on August 15, 2008 at 6:02 PM

All those French Kisses were entertaining all right. Had me tingling all over and I do mean all over.

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 6:08 PM

wise_man, step away from here. The boys have poor taste in women. Wait, they just have poor taste.

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM

sabbott on August 15, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Heh! Did Hillary slip a horse’s head into Obama’s bed? Jawn Cary has a remarkable resemblance, after all.

Remember that Hillary! ad that mimicked a Sopranos plot?

onlineanalyst on August 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Why the long face jon cary?

carbon_footprint on August 15, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Beggin’ yer pardon, ma’am? Obviously my taste is impeccable.

And MB4, that bomb became a lovely centerpiece after I cracked the Fisher-Price detonater. So thoughtful.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 6:22 PM

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Yes but can you find all the rest of them in time? There are many others. Truth be told, so many I kind of lost count myself.

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 6:26 PM

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 6:26 PM

Sort of like the 5 pieces of evidence I’ve hidden around your house? The police will be here in about 45 minutes. Think you can sniff them out by then?

Bonus points if you guess the film.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 6:29 PM

I mean, a ticket with two dopey, elitist, condescending guys with angry, coddled wives?

funky chicken on August 15, 2008 at 2:27 PM

You nailed it funky chicken.

cjs1943 on August 15, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Bonus points if you guess the film.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 6:29 PM

I know that you are just bluffing as none of my Guard Lions has been the least bit less hungry for dinner lately.

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Are you saying Michelle should steal some drugs from charities and get high to mellow out like Cindy McCain did(does?), funky?

alphie on August 15, 2008 at 6:41 PM

alphie on August 15, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Go brush your teeth with a steak knife.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 6:51 PM

alphie on August 15, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Spread the news that she is back, to besmurch the smurchless, to defend the undefendable and to … to … … to troll the … the … the trollless!!!

El alphie rides again!

And remember alphie, there is no shame in being a poor troll, only in being a poor troll who dresses poorly.

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 6:51 PM

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Oh, the fresh arugula I dropped at their feet sure distracted them.

Yes. Oh yes. They support him.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 6:52 PM

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Zorro, the Gay Blade. George Hamilton is a master of his art.

Still haven’t named mine, I see!

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 6:53 PM

I’m tellin’ ya, it’s gonna be the goracle.

locomotivebreath1901 on August 15, 2008 at 7:08 PM

I’m tellin’ ya, it’s gonna be the goracle.
locomotivebreath1901 on August 15, 2008 at 7:08 PM

I’m torn. I don’t know who would be better. Kerry or Gore.

And if It was gore, and Captain Amnesty picked Lieberman, that would make a HELLLLLLLL of a VP debate…

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 7:16 PM

The candidate who has close associations with weather underground terrorist bombers and communists is going to choose a vp who headed up a commie terrorist group that voted on assassinating US Senators back in the 70s? I kinda doubt it, but I’ll offer up the “interesting times” meme nontheless.

Buddahpundit on August 15, 2008 at 7:40 PM

I can hear it now…barry w/ swiftyman as vp.
“Let me be clear, um , uh , uhmmm, uh, ummmm, Like I’ve always said,uhmmm, I voted against it before I voted uhmmm for it and uhmmm, I’ve uhmmm, uhmmm, never waffled about that.

shooter on August 15, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Know who else is a LYING LIAR WHO LIES ABOUT JOHN MCCAIN!?!?!?!

Bryan, formerly of HotAir. Oh, and John McCain.

JOHN MCCAIN AND THE DEMOCRATS ARE TROLLS!!!

misterpeasea on August 15, 2008 at 5:02 PM

When (and why) did Bryan leave Hot Air?

ChenZhen on August 15, 2008 at 8:21 PM

Nevermind, I found it. :0

ChenZhen on August 15, 2008 at 8:23 PM

This is a joke, but people should never forget what John Kerry did on April 22, 1971. Because there is nothing funny about it.

What John Kerry said in front of the Senate that day is often referred to as “testimony”. But it really wasn’t. There is no evidence that he was sworn in, and the transcript proves that he basically gave a speech in front of a group of fawning senators who treated him like a rock star.

John Kerry told the world that our service members were war criminals who committed atrocities on “a day to day basis with the full awareness of all levels of command”. He did this knowing it was a lie, and he did it while we still had POW’s in captivity.

But John Kerry did something even worse that day. During his speech to the Senate, John Kerry admitted to committing treason. In his own words, John Kerry admitted to meeting with the enemy, as a private citizen, and he advocated their position when he returned to the United States. Read the transcript in the above link and it is clear that Kerry realized this and tried to worm his way out of his admission.

The fact that John Kerry was never charged or tried for treason does not change the fact that he admitted committing treason. Later that same day, April 22, 1971, when he gave his “Jengis Khan” speech where he told the world that our boys “cut off ears” and worse, Kerry held a press conference with the wives of POW’s where he, AGAIN, advocated the Viet Cong’s agenda.

The man is worse than scum. He has no business being a United States senator. He should be in a federal prison.

Jaynie59 on August 15, 2008 at 8:35 PM

When (and why) did Bryan leave Hot Air?

ChenZhen on August 15, 2008 at 8:21 PM

A while ago.

However, I think we’d all be interested in an update, especially with the recent troubles her show seems to have had.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Oh, and as somebody else already mentioned, Kerry has never explained why he didn’t get his honorable discharge until 1978 when Jimmy Carter was president.

Kerry signed up for 6 years in the Navy Reserves in 1966. By the documents Kerry posted on his own campaign website, his “tour of duty” in the Ready Reserves was up in 1972. He did not sign up for another 6 year tour. If he did, he didn’t include that on his website.

We know George W. Bush had a dentist appointment on a Saturday in Alabama, but nobody seems to have any idea why it took Kerry until 1978 to get his honorable discharge. Unlike George W. Bush, Kerry won’t release all his military records.

Jaynie59 on August 15, 2008 at 8:46 PM

An Obongo/Hanoi ticket…

It would be a Swift Boating turkey shoot!

byteshredder on August 15, 2008 at 8:47 PM

This would be a monumental mistake for Hopey/Changey,
and I do Hope that Obama doesn’t make any other Changes
and picks Kerry!

It would be interesting to see who hogs the limelight
at Denver on the stage!

Come to think of it,this should really aspire HilRod
to call a party vote on the floor in Denver!

canopfor on August 15, 2008 at 8:52 PM

I don’t see how it can be Jon Kary or how Hillary can be denied. With all the face time she, Chelsea, and Bill are going to get I think this thing is set up as a spit swappin love fest to name Hillary Veep and have a grand unitetation of the Obamanation!

I just hope they choke on the slop the P.C. environmental terrorists ordered up for food and God sees fit to rain down thunder and lightening, fire and brimstone upon their final finale in the Broncos stadium. Oh and the puddle Chrissy Mathews and Olberdork are sitting in will be the tinkle that ran down their legs in the excitement and sheer exstacy of it all. Allah Akbar! Dumba..es

dhunter on August 15, 2008 at 9:01 PM

Kerry wasn’t Swift Boated. [God, I hate what that term has become…]

He shot himself in the foot. [More than once.]

coldwarrior on August 15, 2008 at 9:49 PM

As entertaining as it would be, Obama can’t be this stupid.

aikidoka on August 15, 2008 at 10:29 PM

As entertaining as it would be, Obama can’t be this stupid.
aikidoka on August 15, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Maybe one of his 300 advisors could help him pick someone better.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Winnie the Pooh was unavailable to accept the position because of copyright laws.

onlineanalyst on August 15, 2008 at 11:07 PM

As Kerry has more ambition than shame, I could see him agreeing to run with Obambi, if asked.

It could certainly help in relative GOTV efforts; Republicans would be too busy ROFL to vote.

sulla on August 15, 2008 at 11:10 PM

MB4 on August 15, 2008 at 3:33 PM

You can call me JFK if you want.

I am so humble.

I love it. LOL!

gxpgxp on August 15, 2008 at 11:42 PM

Kerry wasn’t Swift Boated.

coldwarrior on August 15, 2008 at 9:49 PM

The hell he wasn’t. His proctologist is still trying to remove the swift boat that was rammed up his commie traitor ass.

Buddahpundit on August 15, 2008 at 11:51 PM

“Unfit for Command” and “Obamanation” was heavily lawyered before the release of these books. It’s interesting to note that defamation, slander and libel are legitimate options -Kerry?, Obama?. Why are these options not pursued? The MSM is so dumb.

Sergei on August 16, 2008 at 12:25 AM

Ah, don’t answer that as well. I don’t want to know.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 4:37 PM

“wise_man” doesn’t want to know

MB4 on August 16, 2008 at 1:00 AM

Buddahpundit on August 15, 2008 at 11:51 PM —

OK. Agree with that assessment.

But that awful goatse image is gonna stick in my mind for a lonnng long time.

coldwarrior on August 16, 2008 at 1:12 AM

The boys have poor taste in women. Wait, they just have poor taste.

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM

There is no shame in having poor taste just as long as you are not dressed poorly while having poor taste.

MB4 on August 16, 2008 at 1:12 AM

Not even close to Nixon’s amazing comeback. Talk about hyperbole.

Goodale on August 16, 2008 at 3:13 AM

The boys have poor taste in women. Wait, they just have poor taste.

Entelechy on August 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM

Don’t blame us, you’re the one who dressed that way.

misterpeasea on August 16, 2008 at 3:25 AM

There is a rumor that Kerry was in Vietnam.
Any truth to that?

ToddonCapeCod on August 16, 2008 at 8:01 AM

Don’t know if someone has pointed this out yet…

But Corsi is drooling over the prospect of how many books he’ll sell if this happens. You’ll begin to see two-packs of “Obama Nation” and “Unfit for Command”.

ynot4tony2 on August 16, 2008 at 8:20 AM

MB4 on August 16, 2008 at 1:00 AM
misterpeasea on August 16, 2008 at 3:25 AM

How old are you, 30? Is that your ages, combined?

wise_man on August 16, 2008 at 11:07 AM

It would get Kerry out of this state, too!

Corky on August 15, 2008 at 4:41 PM

That’s the same reason I’m hoping Obama will pick Kaine as his VP. that will get Kaine out of Virginia and the repub Lt Governor will take over. The down side is Obama would have to win to make this happen.

abcurtis on August 16, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Seeing as Teresa is one of the current owners of the Democratic party along with George Soros I would not be surprised if John Kerry was picked to Obama’s running mate.

Nahanni on August 16, 2008 at 12:26 PM

More than likely the local political analyst, John Keller, was played by the Kerry organization looking for some free juice for Kerry’s senatorial reelection bid this year. Keller can usually be expected to be smarter than this.

thegreatbeast on August 16, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Waste of time even bringing it up it will never happen.

KBird on August 16, 2008 at 6:34 PM