Video: American Carol trailer

posted at 7:44 am on August 15, 2008 by Ed Morrissey

Last week, I interviewed Myrna Sokoloff, co-writer of the the David Zucker film An American Carol, but we didn’t have any trailers to show viewers. Bill O’Reilly previewed the first trailer for the film on his show last night, giving people a first glimpse at the pro-American satire that Zucker will deliver on October 3rd:

The set-up here is obvious; an anti-American filmmaker, Michael “Malone”, gets visited by three spirits of America and shown how to mend his ways. It’s an easy and familiar framework for a wide range of gags, and from the trailer, it looks like Zucker and Sokoloff thoroughly exploit it. I’m looking forward to seeing it.

My interview with Sokoloff can be seen below. It’s in two segments, thanks to some unfortunate technical problems in the middle of the call.

Update: Click on the || icon on the players to stop autoplay. Unfortunately, Ustream doesn’t give an option to leave that off. Sorry!

Comments

I saw the trailer on O’Reilly. I haven’t been to a movie in years but this looks like one I might go see. I love a comedy.

atxcowgirl on August 15, 2008 at 7:49 AM

I’m not sure how good it will be, but I’ll def check it out. I’m glad to see Hollywood making more movies from a conservative point of view.

davenp35 on August 15, 2008 at 7:56 AM

This is a winner,you’ll laugh,you’ll cry,
it is shinning the light of truth and a
guiding light to those Liberals who have
lost faith in their very own party, and
using their very own words against them!

Just seeing Micheal Moore being b#sterdized
and besmirched and snarked at;a must see,
5* Stars! haha

canopfor on August 15, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Can’t wait to see it! I watched the trailer several times!

JellyToast on August 15, 2008 at 8:08 AM

I just noticed the front picture
of General Patton,and it looks like
the trusty Colt .45acp!

I hope its loaded with Michelle Malkin
verbal ammunition! haha.

canopfor on August 15, 2008 at 8:09 AM

Kelsey Grammar as Patton?

Was Richard Simmons already booked?

Good grief.

Hening on August 15, 2008 at 8:10 AM

I’ll certainly see it in the theater with my wife, even if I find out it is going to suck out loud. I want to encourage more traditional American values in films (besides just renting old John Wayne flicks).

Hopefully, it will earn more than all the anti-US films put together.

ynot4tony2 on August 15, 2008 at 8:12 AM

Can’t wait! Oscars all around! Best picture, Best Best Best…

sabbott on August 15, 2008 at 8:18 AM

I hope it’s better than that Half Comedy Hour or whatever it was called. The main things are 1) it’s being made at all, and 2) it’s opening on 2,000 screens rather than a small, token distribution.

Zucker’s pretty funny, though, it should be good. Hell, just poking fun at Moore will be worth it.

Grantman on August 15, 2008 at 8:19 AM

Kelsey Grammar has a deep voice, which may make him a bad choice to play Patton – who had a high-pitched voice. The real Patton didn’t sound anything like George C Scott.

packsoldier on August 15, 2008 at 8:20 AM

I’m glad to see Hollywood making more a movie from a conservative point of view.

davenp35 on August 15, 2008 at 7:56 AM

Fixed it for you.

Kafir on August 15, 2008 at 8:24 AM

Yay!!

stlpatriot on August 15, 2008 at 8:30 AM

The movie looks so-so from the trailer. Maybe the best stuff is in the movie. I am definitely going to the theaters to see this. It’s about time to see something from a conservative view point rather than these dumb liberals.

jencab on August 15, 2008 at 8:32 AM

A technical question for the web savvy. What can be done to prevent the U-Stream videos from playing automatically when I open this thread? Is it me? I have an aging G 4 power mac running Panther and my browser is Firefox 2. Regretfully, I literally gave up visiting Pam Geller’s massively overloaded Atlas Shrugged because of issues like this. Anybody know what is going on?

Nyog_of_the_Bog on August 15, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Bill O…I wonder if he took acting classes?

ballz2wallz on August 15, 2008 at 8:40 AM

had a gold mine of material to mine from for the movie..

should be good..

DaveC on August 15, 2008 at 8:41 AM

I laughed, I cried, I kissed ten bucks goodbye!
Looks promising just to see the rips on the left.

carbon_footprint on August 15, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Me and the fiancee will definitely be seeing it, as well about a dozen others I’ve told about it. The challenge might be finding a theater in Madison that will show it, but I imagine the bigger cinemas won’t be able to resist.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 8:44 AM

I laughed, I cried, I kissed ten bucks goodbye!

carbon_footprint on August 15, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Jeez, back then they said three bucks…and that was exaggerating the price!

How times change.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 8:45 AM

As a follow up to my previous post, I’m having the same problem with Safari.

Nyog_of_the_Bog on August 15, 2008 at 8:49 AM

hahaha “I just like slapping you” Good stuff!

I will definitely pay $10.00 to see this!

becki51758 on August 15, 2008 at 8:49 AM

I’ll be in line for this one, even if I have to take the new little bambino with me by then.

ScoopPC11 on August 15, 2008 at 8:56 AM

If this movie does really well, I hope it sends a signal to Hollywood that they don’t have to be hegemonic in their political ideology.

terryannonline on August 15, 2008 at 9:05 AM

With Trace Adkins as the Angel of Death! Kelsey Grammer as GEN George S. Patton. And good old terrorists as terrorists. I LOVE it!

Guess we’ll see who “gets their game on”, and who gets a good old country ass whupping, won’t we?

Lead on, Trace. Any movie with this cast can’t be all bad.

And Osama? Welcome to Hell, boy.

Subsunk

Subsunk on August 15, 2008 at 9:07 AM

I’ll see this just to show Hollywood that movies from a Conservative POV and loving your country can be a good things. It doesn’t mean your xenophobic to be patriotic.
What has happened to Hollywood is what has happened to the country – the liberal baby boomers of the 60′s have had unabated influence on our culture.
Think of all the great WW1 and WW2 or even the regular movies from back in the day. They didn’t have to have a “message” they usually just told a story. Do you think that those actors – especially the icons of the time – would star in movies like Redacted, Stop Loss, Lions for Lambs or any of the other drivel they push? I doubt it.

Oh, and the Half Hour Comedy Hour was really bad

woodman on August 15, 2008 at 9:16 AM

ScoopPC11 on August 15, 2008 at 8:56 AM

To ScoopPC11,

If I may suggest, your first trip to the movie theater, without your new baby will come as a most welcome reprieve to your frazzled nerves. This will pose an excellent opportunity for your mother or mother in law to become acquainted with the newest family member. Better yet, you will, this way, actually be able to enjoy the movie, along with the others in the theater with you.

Otherwise, of I’m going to be seeing this movie atleast three times in the movie theater. Then I’m going to by the DVD for myself and others. Then I’m going to rent it, more than once.

Now back to my technical issue as stated in my previous posts:

Nyog_of_the_Bog on August 15, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Am I alone in experiencing an issue with the U-Stream Videos on this thread?

Nyog_of_the_Bog on August 15, 2008 at 9:18 AM

Nyog_of_the_Bog on August 15, 2008 at 8:40 AM

It’s not just you. I have the same issue. The flash files and auto-generated embed code from ustream are allowing it.

I believe it could be altered at the page-code level by adding autoplay=”false” to the <embed flashvars=etc. etc. tag.

So the form would be <embed name=”foo” id=”foo” flashvars=autoplay=”false” etc. etc rest of embed tag

Guessing here, no time to test, but maybe Ed would like to give it a shot and see if this works?

Gilda on August 15, 2008 at 9:24 AM

I’ll give up the 40 bucks to go see this in theatres with my girl, heck, I might even buy an 8 dollar popcorn.
Zucker rules.

Geronimo on August 15, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Looks pretty good!

nottakingsides on August 15, 2008 at 9:34 AM

I love me some James Woods.

In my world, he and Sean Young (who played Catwoman in The Dark Knight) stayed together and begat a race of insane but talented and conservative superhumans.

saint kansas on August 15, 2008 at 9:38 AM

I’m there..

DaveC on August 15, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Count me in…Farley’s brother looks like he does a great job with the lying propagandist Michael “Marxist” Moore…

adamsmith on August 15, 2008 at 9:39 AM

Looks awful.

Allahpundit on August 15, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Looks awful.
Allahpundit on August 15, 2008 at 9:40 AM

I question your patriotism.

Slublog on August 15, 2008 at 9:48 AM

“… you turd-head”.

Ugh! I hope the rest of the film is better than this. I’m interested in what the ghost of JFK will tell him.

Tony737 on August 15, 2008 at 9:50 AM

OSCAR
OSCAR
OSCAR

faraway on August 15, 2008 at 9:51 AM

I question your patriotism.

Slublog on August 15, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Remember, he’s from New York.

MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Big Money! But why does every Conservative event have to include some bad Pop/Country dude in one of those ugly @22 cowboy hats that no Cowboy would be caught dead in?

ronsfi on August 15, 2008 at 9:58 AM

I think I’ll scrape up the 10 bucks to go see this, even if it looks a tad campy. I support any effort to parody that jackass Moore, and the cast isn’t that shabby either. The last movie I saw in the theater was the Kingdom (I’m going to try and see Batman tomorrow)… I miss the theater experience.

Sans my children, naturally.

Anna on August 15, 2008 at 9:58 AM

faraway on August 15, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Let’s leave Sesame Street out of this.

ronsfi on August 15, 2008 at 10:01 AM

Remember, he’s from New York.
MadisonConservative on August 15, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Heh. I was being sarcastic, but I wasn’t impressed by the trailer all that much. I liked the first “Airplane” and “Naked Gun,” but this one didn’t elicit a chuckle.

Slublog on August 15, 2008 at 10:04 AM

I’m glad to see Hollywood making more movies from a conservative point of view.

Well, technically one is more than zero…

And I hope the leftist millionaires who churn out anti-American propaganda bombs enjoy watching this movie make tons of money!

drunyan8315 on August 15, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Glad to know that I’m not the only one who loved Baseketball. I will go to see this film even if it stinks – but since I love stupid humor, I’ll probably like it. I laughed at the part where O’Reilly slaps Michael Moore – not because I am a fan of O’Reilly, (I’m not such a big fan,) I just thought that was really funny.

foxforce91 on August 15, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Funny stuff! I’m there!

CP on August 15, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Wait, did he say it’ll only be playing in 2,000 theaters??? Are they having trouble with distribution?

Tony737 on August 15, 2008 at 10:11 AM

You guys talking about it being awful, are funny. Have you seen Naked Gun and Airport? You will laugh and be embarrassed that you laughed. Get over yourselves, take a break from being cerebral.

Cindy Munford on August 15, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Gilda on August 15, 2008 at 9:24 AM

-Gilda,

Thank you so much. Its good to know I’m not alone. This really is a problem for some web sites. Did any one notice
Pam Geller’s article in American Thinker yesterday? I really do want to give her my traffic but some months ago, her blog became literally impossible to load on my browser and I’ve lost the habit. So these things really do matter.

As for Allah:

Looks awful.

Allahpundit on August 15, 2008 at 9:40 AM

I can’t say I’m surprised. To each his own.

I also wanted to add that I went to a matinee, showing of Tropic Thunder yesterday. There were only a few of us in the audience, of all kinds, and we were all laughing, hysterically, start to finish. I very much recommend it to you. Very cathartic. Just what I needed.

Nyog_of_the_Bog on August 15, 2008 at 10:13 AM

I will go and see this film, even if it is panned by the critics.

I will consider it a campaign contribution.

pseudonominus on August 15, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Well, of course I would prefer to leave the little one at home. But I was just showing how desperate I am to see this one. Besides, my mother and mother-in-law both live too far for me to just drop him off with them — they’re both in-state, but my MIL lives about a half hour from me while my mother lives about 45 minutes.

ScoopPC11 on August 15, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Saw the trailer on O’Reilly last night. Had me laughing enough that I can’t wait to see the rest.

JayVee on August 15, 2008 at 10:19 AM

I will go and see this film, even if it is panned by the critics.

I will consider it a campaign contribution.

pseudonominus on August 15, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Ditto. Friends and I sometimes buy four tix when there are two of us, etc. just to bump up ticket sales for worthy movies.

And any movie where Michael Moore gets slapped around in every possible sense of the word, is by definition seven kinds of worthy.

inviolet on August 15, 2008 at 10:20 AM

ScoopPC11 on August 15, 2008 at 10:15 AM

-Scoop,

I over stepped my bounds here. I kind of sensed this after I posted. This really was none of my business. Should I have gone there. No and I do apologize. And I applaud and second your enthusiasm.

And to the others, who choose consciously to vote your conservatism with your pocket-books, I too have been doing so for quite some time. An interesting phenomenon to observe here vis-a-vis, Hollywood.

Nyog_of_the_Bog on August 15, 2008 at 10:53 AM

wow. someone actually got a major ‘make fun of the left’ movie funded.
this may prove to be a new trend.
hope it’s as good as the trailer.

jimmer on August 15, 2008 at 10:54 AM

I will go and see this film, even if it is panned by the critics.
I will consider it a campaign contribution.
pseudonominus on August 15, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Vote with your wallet.

While I don’t think that this will do anywhere as well as Mel Gibson’s Passion of the Christ, I do hope that it can get up there, and maybe even surpass such miserable flops as ‘redacted,’ ‘stop loss’ and ‘valley of elah’.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 10:56 AM

My expectations for this have been very low, and I found the trailer surprisingly funny. If this gets enough publicity, it might really have a shot. I hope they run a lot of commercials.

Kensington on August 15, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Oh, and I imagine most of the reviews are already written, and guess what? They’re pans!

Kensington on August 15, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I loved both “Airplane” movies and “Naked Gun” but they worked because they satirized genres whose conventions people usually accept at face value. This looks like the opposite, a string of stuff conservatives already believe about tools like Michael Moore but dressed up with boob jokes. But we’ll all be expected to love it anyway, for the same reason that the people in Jon Stewart’s audience clap and laugh at his thousandth warmonger joke about conservatives: Not because it’s funny, necessarily, but because it validates the message. See also Nyog’s “I’m not surprised” comment sneering at me above.

Allahpundit on August 15, 2008 at 11:19 AM

I worked on the film–and believe me, liberal heads will explode when this airs!

PattyJ on August 15, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Ugh. This looks like a 90-minute “Half-Hour News Hour” that I need to pay to watch.

I would much rather see a 90-minute “Red Eye” or Team America sequel.

Exurban Jon on August 15, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Exactly.

Allahpundit on August 15, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Zucker might as well grab a barista application to Coffee Bean now.

Chuck Schick on August 15, 2008 at 11:37 AM

I think Seth Myers said that Jon Stewart generates “clapter” instead of laughter. Just so. I’m not dropping 10 bucks to see a conservative crowd shouting “woo!” over lame “Michael Moore is fat” jokes.

Like you, I loved Airplane and at least the first Naked Gun movie. However, most comedies place the funniest jokes in the trailer and I didn’t laugh once at this. I hope Zucker will prove me wrong, but this doesn’t look like a new Airplane.

Exurban Jon on August 15, 2008 at 11:42 AM

That’s what makes watching “The Daily Show” so painful at times. Stewart can be very funny but far too often he gets lazy and just settles for a joke that consists of nothing more than “LOLZ Bush SUX” and the audience goes wild.

And as hard as I laughed at both “Airplane” and “The Naked Gun,” my personal favorite of the Zucker collection is “Top Secret!”

Slublog on August 15, 2008 at 11:47 AM

See also Nyog’s “I’m not surprised” comment sneering at me above.

Allahpundit on August 15, 2008 at 11:19 AM

-Over all, not a good morning for me on the boards. Point taken and criticism duly noted.

Nyog_of_the_Bog on August 15, 2008 at 12:00 PM

“Top Secret!”

.. Is a gem of a movie..

one of those movies that didn’t do well at the box office so when I saw it for the first time (on showtime or some other movie channel) it was like my own little movie that I can enjoy.. and NO ONE else new about :)

DaveC on August 15, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Apology accepted, although I thought it was funny that you called me by my full screen name the first time. :) Most people just use “Scoop” — the last part is my (co-ed) fraternity pledge class.

ScoopPC11 on August 15, 2008 at 12:58 PM

I’ll be first in line to see it.

I just hope some “tolerant” lefties don’t decide to do things like, I don’t know, say, protest in the theater and intimidate theater goers.

Not going to happen everywhere, obviously, and hopefully it’s much ado about nothing, but the thought has occurred to me.

I still can’t quite bring myself to accept. A Hollywood movie. That’s pro-America.

Let there be more of them.

Hawkins1701 on August 15, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Nyog_of_the_Bog on August 15, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Atlas has rejiggered her blog. The vids are put behind links. It loads quickly now.

ScottG on August 15, 2008 at 2:06 PM

So like is everyone in this movie a conservative/Republican/Not you’re typical Hollywooder? I don’t wantem to just be playin a part.

- The Cat

MirCat on August 15, 2008 at 2:07 PM

ScottG on August 15, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Good to hear but like it still needs to be chopped up with, previous/next page/etc.

- The Cat

MirCat on August 15, 2008 at 2:11 PM

ScottG on August 15, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Thanks for the tip Scott. I’ll be sure to work her back into my routine.

Nyog_of_the_Bog on August 15, 2008 at 2:44 PM

DaveC on August 15, 2008 at 12:19 PM

I love that movie!

I enjoy the goofy parody movies. The most recent ones, Epic Movie, Scary Movie 4, etc., are massive FAILs and have left me wanting some good parody to laugh at.

I will see this movie, if for no other reason, to show that conservative movies can make money in Hollyweird. I refuse to watch any of the far left BAF movies, Troops as Murderer depictions, and the usual crap spewed from the lefty crowd. If it sucks, it sucks. It might be good. Who knows?

Airplane! is CLASSIC. Best character was the crazy guy in Air Control who unplugged the runway lights.

“You can make a hat, a pterodactyl, or a boutinniere!”
“Don’t call me Shirley.”
Ted’s drinking problem…
The jive talking black guys.
The little girl, being medically transported, having her IV pulled out.
AutoPilot.

I will now go rent that movie again.

LickyLicky on August 15, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Looks awful.

Allahpundit on August 15, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Party pooper. I was LMAO.

amerpundit on August 15, 2008 at 3:02 PM

Well I guess I better not like it then.

wise_man on August 15, 2008 at 3:19 PM

This may or may not be hilarious or even funny. I’m going to see it, however, for the simple reason that, if it fails, it will certainly kill any chance of H’wood Republicans getting anything made in the future.

I’ll risk taking one for the team the first time out.

MikeZero on August 15, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Looks awful.

Allahpundit on August 15, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Therefore, I will go see it.

Andy in Agoura Hills on August 15, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Must see Moo-vee.

trigon on August 15, 2008 at 6:21 PM

ScoopPC –

My experience is that when they are newborns it is easy to take them to the movies. They don’t squirm and they sleep most of the time. If they wake up, throw a blankie over your shoulder and nurse the little darling back to sleep. Since the baby is in your arms right against you, you can tell right away when it’s awake.

Sit in the back so you can leave right away if the baby makes so much as a peep. By the time the baby is 5/6 months old, they are too mobilie/alert/vocal/assertive to go to the movies, so enjoy the few quiet months while they last.

NB: if baby has colic, all info above is void in your galaxy.

Bad Penny on August 15, 2008 at 6:26 PM

I absolutely can not wait. I would forgo Star Trek to go see it.

Bladerunner1701 on August 15, 2008 at 6:39 PM

The lousier the film, the more compelling the case that we should heap accolades upon it. If it’s a real stinker, we should do everything we can to make certain that it is nominated for awards. It will infuriate the liberals.

My collie says:

The only downside is that His Immenseness (Michael Moore) is probably too stupid to understand what just happened to him.

CyberCipher on August 15, 2008 at 6:55 PM